Reviews of Pestana Village Garden Resort Aparthotel 4 stars

Estrada monumental 194, Sao Martinho, 9000-098 Funchal, Portugal

#106 of 271 Holiday rentals in Funchal

Very helpful staff and fantastic gardens just a short walk...
    • Superior Studio

First room with sea view ,while excellent, overlooked neighboring private property with large guard dogs that barked and howled spoiling our first night Staff were quick to respond to our complaint and offer a choice of two rooms the next day ,our second room was facing pool and garden and we were very happy there for rest of holiday.

Very helpful staff and fantastic gardens just a short walk from Town centre ,had live music for some of the morning breakfasts and in evening at the pool giving lovely atmosphere.

Ok, but look elsewhere if your'e on your Honeymoon!
    • Studio

When we checked in the lady had my reservation at reception, confirmed my name and had my passport etc. Then she asked me to try and send her confirmation off booking.com via email? I wasn’t quite sure why she would need this as she had already confirmed my details? This caused alot of hassle as I had to log onto their wifi, and then I couldn’t figure out how to send confirmation via my phone as never had to do this before. For some reason showing her on my phone wasn’t good enough? Anyways after she realised I couldn’t send it she moved on and we checked in! We chose to stay here all day around the pool. The pool bar was ok, however found one of the barmen rude as when I ordered a drink rather than saying “you can sit down and ill bring it over to you”, he just said “go go” and proceeded to point at a table – not the kind of service id expect from a 4 star hotel. Now since this was our honeymoon I had previously emailed the hotel about arranging something special for us. Be that a box of chocolates or something? I had no reply off the hotel so at one stage I did leave my wife by the pool and go to reception. I spoke to a lady who looked like a manager and made her aware. She told me it had already been noted and they had arranged for a bottle of wine, chocolates and fruit to be delivered to our room from 6-7pm and we didn’t need to wait in for this. I thought this was really nice of them to of pre arranged this. Me and the wife went out for the evening and returned around 11:00pm to the room. When I opened the room there was nothing in there. This did frustrate me, so I went down to reception who stated it had been noted that the stuff was meant to be delivered by 7pm but for “some reason” it wasn’t placed on the system correctly. She offered to have it sent to our room now, however at 11pm we were abit tired and had an early flight so it was abit too late. I asked her if there’s anything else she can maybe offer like room discount? She said no.

Bed was comfy Welcome drink whilst you wait for your room Plenty of Sun loungers Good hearty breakfast

Room with beautiful view of the ocean,older furniture,good...
    • Studio

Room with beautiful view of the ocean,older furniture,good breakfast,nice pool in the beautiful garden.walking distance to the centre ,bus stop next to the hotel(2Euro).

Very nice stay
    • Superior Studio

The outdoor swimming pool was not warmed but all other facilities were great and enjoyable.

The bed was very comfortable and the staff was smiling, welcoming and efficient. The property was really really nice.

Very comfortable stay for 4 nights.
    • Studio

the steam bath did not seem hot enough

The bed was very comfortable, the pillows too. Had everything you needed, including a small kitchenette, ideal for making snacks/drinks. Breakfast was v good, with a wide choice. Garden planting very good, sauna excellent, disappointed by the steam bath, did not seem hot enough. Staff friendly & winter garden area pleasant for drinks/cocktails. Did not eat there in the evening.

It's a very pleasant hotel and we enjoyed our stay.
    • Superior Studio

Pools are not heated and were too cold to swim in during our visit in April (my son was very disappointed)- better to go in the summer if you are expecting to swim. Hotel has entertainment every evening, which is nice, but can be a bit loud if you are trying to relax or sleep and your room is nearby. If this sort of thing bothers you, ask for a room that is not close to the entertainment area.

The breakfast buffet was great. Very nice, convenient location-- close to bus tops and taxis if you need them.

Thought the facilities were very good. We especially liked the whole Pestana team .
    • Superior Studio

One night in the apartment below is there was a lot of noise which went on for a while. My husband went to Reception and complained. Security went round and dealt with it straight away. From then on there was no more noise.

The bed was very good and the room cleaned meticulously every day. Special details like the special folding of my nightdress was also noted. Also as it was Easter sweets had been left for us too.

Great location, beautiful well kept gardens but would have preferred a room away from the stage.
    • Studio

The noise from the nightly entertainment. Our room was situated very close to the stairwell from the ground floor. We ate at the restaurant and had an excellent meal, but were charged 6 euros for 2 couverts which when we enquired as to what this was, were told that they were 'muse bouches', something which were placed on our plates and were not an option, but were something we certainly didn't order - or want. After we said this, our bill was changed to reflect our wishes. The waiter was not very happy though!

Loved the fabulous gardens and the general older look of the hotel. A lot of the hotels seem to be modern and quite impersonal so were preferred the village gardens for the more intimate feel.

This was a hotel that we were really looking forward to but was very dis appointing.
    • Studio

The safety deposit box should have been included in the price. There should have been a less crowded restaurant for breakfast. A warmer lounge/bar area would have been welcome too with more options for a light lunch.

The room was spacious and the bed was comfortable. There were some lovely gardens .

Good facilities and pretty grounds, bad room.
    • Superior Studio

We booked a room with a double bed but were given twin beds and were not able to change rooms. The room was in a poor location with the view from the outside patio obstructed and completely shaded. The room was very dusty and not very clean when we arrived. The room did not look like the pictures and was quite old-fashioned with some furniture broken. Poor value for money which was very disappointing.

Comfortable bed. Great staff. Good facilities.

Disappointing, often paid extra out of the hotel for breakfast and a pool to relax
    • Superior Studio

The Hotel had an excessive amount of children in it during the stay and the noise and behavior of these kids was awful. It was impossible to have a relaxing breakfast, impossible to relax by the pool AND impossible to have a quiet relaxing drink with your partner in the bar.

Very little

A lovely hotel very conveniently situated.
    • Studio

Nothing - we were very impressed.

We were upgraded from a studio to a one-bedroom apartment which was large, clean, comfortable and well equipped, though rather cold as the weather was not very good and there was no heating. The staff were excellent, and the breakfast was varied and good quality. During our stay it was my birthday, and I was greeted at breakfast with congratulations and a written birthday message. A bottle of sparkling wine and a cake were then sent to our room. I had not told the hotel it was my birthday - they must have got the information from my passport. An excellent touch. The hotel is a 15-20 minute walk from Funchal centre (and there are three frequent buses), but there are lots of bars and restaurants in the close vicinity.

• Superior Studio

The accommodation is outdated. Room was not clean. There was a very penetrant smell in the room. The lock of the safe was damaged/missing. Sheets where worn. Breakfast was not good. I never left a hotel early before, but I did this time. I can't believe this hotel has a rate of 8+

Had a very pleasant visit.Would return again
    • Studio

Access from the road via steep hill and steps was quite difficult for people with walking problems and the elderly

The breakfast was very good with plenty of variety.The staff were very friendly and attentive

The room was advertised as self-catering but was sadly...
    • Studio

As above. There could have been information concerning buses and how to access them.

The room was advertised as self-catering but was sadly lacking in that there was one frying pan and no other cooking utensils and only two rings on the hop and no oven. There was enough space to have better cooking arrangements

Clean and pleasant hotel in a good location which lacks atmosphere.
    • Studio

very disappointed that the balcony completely was overshaddowed by trees. There was not even a bowl in the kitchen, breakfast - good selection however scrambled egg and overcooked breakfast were stone cold. Disappointed that drinks and snack bars were closed (arguably not high season). A lot of the outdoor seating was overshaddowed for much of the day. Reception and restaurant staff were glum (one exception when I checked out). Fruit juices were of poor quality although drinkable. Found the loungers a little uncomfortable.

big very clean rooms, grateful for fridge, kettle and bottle opener. Pools were pleasant. Coffee machine in breakfast area was good. Despite unpleasant balcony, my room was located near the pool. General furnishing of indoor areas was pleasant.

The hotel was well located, spacious and calm.

The indoor pool was too small and the changing facilities not clean. The play Ground for children was too small and unsafe.

The hotel was well located, spacious and calm.

Relaxing, comfortable holiday in beautiful surroundings.
    • Superior Studio

I wish the the outdoor pools had been heated. It was just too cold to swim in them in December.

Welcoming public areas, beautiful Xmas decorations, lovely spacious room, comfy bed, beautiful gardens and pool areas, spotlessly clean and tidy, lots of professional staff making sure everything ran smoothly.

Excellent apart from the dogs !!
    • Studio

There were two barking dogs on private balconies next to us - barking most of the day and night so made sitting on our balcony a non event - We had to put music on to try and drown out the noise ! Also the cutlery was not a full and useful set !

Very good layout in a good location

I recommend this hotel!
    • Studio

There was no pool bar in the other pool area. We stayed in the ground floor and the room smelled musty. Plates and coffee cups ran out at breakfast every day and people had to wait.

The hotel area was luxurious and the garden was really lush and beautiful. There were two swimming pool areas and the hotel offered pool towels. The room was very spacious. Breakfast was pretty basic, but quite good and versatile. The location of the hotel was excellent, buses run right in front of the hotel to the city centre.

Needs serious improvement on quality, I wasn't expecting from this hotel brand...
    • Superior Studio

The room had no air-condition!! The fan control had a pile of dust on it, the safety box had the lock damage and not working, the bathroom had a stick in it the was left on it even after my check-out (was never cleaned). I had to ask for amenities because after the first day the 1 bottle of shampoo and 2 of shower bath pack were gone and not replaced. Apart from that, the breakfast I gave up from asking my regular omelettes on the first day since it took +10 minutes to be ready.

The hotel is overall nice, plenty space for the kids to run and have fun. The pool and all facilities are friendly and nice. The room is spacious enough to accommodate the 4 of us, though the kids had to sleep on the couch bed, it was ok. The shower hose on the bathroom was damaged but once reported it was immediately replaced. The breakfast was ok but see dislikes.

Nice Hotel, friendly staff.
    • Superior Studio

We had some minor issues with the cleanliness of the bath and the balcony, these were rectified promptly.

the response from the hotel regarding a few issues we had with the room. the view from the room. the size of the room. the gardens and pool areas.

Beautiful garden paradise - would have been perfect with kids entertainment
    • Superior Studio

This was advertised as having plenty to do for kids. Unfortunately the club room was mostly closed and there was no entertainment provided. Since we have 2 they entertained each other, they played chess on the hotel grounds (there is a huge garden chess set near the small playground) and they spent some time on the small play area outside ( 1 slide, 2 swings and 2 more small features). If they had something to do it would have been an almost perfect holiday.

We like to choose paradise type hotels for our summer holiday and the vegetation here did not disappoint. Very beautiful gardens, incredibly well kept with many different types of plants and blooming flowers. The staff was great, friendly and very helpful and the buildings themselves were nice and clean. It indeed seemed like a small village. The pool was quite large and clean and there were always plenty of lounge chairs to chose from. We enjoyed the food offered in the half board menu not so much the snacks provided by the pool. But the hotel is in an awesome location and you can always walk to a restaurant for lunch.

Excellent 2 week break with good food, weather and location.
    • Superior Studio

Kitchen area was too small and was 'dated'.

Hotel setting, gardens, facilities, swimming pool, bars and restaurants. Reasonable distance to walk into town centre.

Beautiful, friendly and very affordable
    • Superior Studio

This hotel was a brilliant find and great value for money. The grounds apwere beautiful, the pool and facilities clean and staff super friendly. It was my friends birthday while we were staying there and the hotel staff went the extra mile to help celebrate and surprise him at breakfast.

Free music every evening, we received a voucher for a...
    • Superior Studio

Location is a 25-30 min walk from the city center, the breakfast selection is large but the quality is not as you would expect for 4 stars

Free music every evening, we received a voucher for a cocktail as a surprise

Size of room and multiple facililties much appreciated.
    • Superior Studio

Cleaning of bathroom (no towels for bidet) not always perfect. Carpet covering floor in bedroom with dirty marks and not hoovered throughout the stay. Carpet also in common areas very dirty. Only 3 drinking glasses in the kitchenette and inadequate number of pans/plates etc. for anyone wishing to use the facility for cooking. Not up to 4 star standard.

Size of room and multiple facililties much appreciated. Staff very sociable and helpful.

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

Breakfast was lovely, if rather busy, especially around 9:00.
    • Superior Studio

Breakfast was lovely, if rather busy, especially around 9:00. Landscaping of the grounds was beautiful. Location was rely good, far enough away from the town to be quiet but close enough to walk.

Staff were very friendly, great choice of restaurants in the...
    • Studio

The indoor pool was a little small. The bed could have been firmer but that's just the way I like them.

Staff were very friendly, great choice of restaurants in the surrounding area. Easy to walk to the town, plenty of transport if you were tired. Breakfast was plentiful and

The property's surrounding tropical gardens were...
    • Studio

Our bathroom extractor fan didn't work - but probably an isolated steamy problem - otherwise nothing.

The property's surrounding tropical gardens were outstanding - and free to visit and lounge around in. Sound insulation was outstanding - the hotel has live music a few evenings a week until 11PM - manually closing the appropriate automatic fire doors completely solves any problems for early readers/sleepers.

• Reviewed: 29 March 2017

A pleasant stay.
    • Studio

We didn't like having to come home.

Breakfasts were good, especially the fresh fruit and pasteis do nata. The room was comfortable, clean and well maintained. All staff were friendly and helpful. The gardens are amazing.

• Reviewed: 28 March 2017

AMAZING PEACEFUL HOTEL
    • Studio

I think that the free wifi in the room have to be improved. It is not so clear, the signal come sand goes. only in the common area the signal is perfect.

The hotel was incredibly peaceful. Pools and garden all around, common area with fountains and wonderful plants. Every evening there is a special activity for who would diner at the hotel's restaurant. Good buffet for breakfast.

• Reviewed: 17 March 2017

Pestana offered a fantastic guest experience during my 5...
    • Studio

The only thing I would change is its proximity to the main part of Funchal and the old town, as it was a 30-minute walk for me each day to the university, which is the central part of the city - however, if you're into resorts and don't mind being a bit further away and surrounded by other big hotels and resorts, this one is great.

Pestana offered a fantastic guest experience during my 5 days in Funchal for a work trip. The breakfast buffet was substantial and they kindly accommodated to my dietary needs. The grounds were beautiful, facilities clean, and they went the extra mile on my birthday to surprise me with a bottle of champagne and strawberries and chocolate!

• Reviewed: 15 March 2017

Great Stay in Funchal
    • Studio

The water in the outside pools could have been warmer. The indoor one was fine.

Location. Great for walking into Funchal centre or getting the bus. Great cake shop and restaurants close by. Really nice hotel with exceptional gardens. The overall appearance of the hotel is like no other in Funchal not at all a block look. Staff were all very friendly and would stop to help if needed. The room was very well furnished and had a very small kitchen area which was fine if you wanted to make your own lunches, tea,coffee's etc? We did not see the entertainment as we were out every night trying different restaurants, all very good and great value. This hotel may not be a five star but is an excellent four and a super place to stay for a reasonable cost.

• Reviewed: 14 March 2017

A lovely holiday in an excellent location. Will certainly stay again in Miramar.
    • Superior Studio

The temperature in the swimming pool was rather low for the cooler weather during part of our stay. The view from our original room in Pestana Villages was not quite as expected but we were changed to Miramar which was lovely.

The beautiful gardens and the low rise architectural design were very pleasing. The staff were extremely helpful. Breakfast was excellent.

• Reviewed: 12 March 2017

Great winter break in excellent hotel
    • Studio

We liked the location of the hotel. It is about 20 minute walk to town but just by the bus stop for the less able. There is a reasonably priced bar with a daily happy hour - great cocktails!

• Reviewed: 10 March 2017

Attractive garden setting and spacious rooms for good value.
    • Studio

This is a very personal call but the main road, Avenida Monumental, is the route into Funchal for most of the island's tourists and so it is busy both with traffic and pedestrians and it is therefore not a very relaxed walk to shops, restaurants etc.

Room was effectively an apartment studio so you could sit in a living area separate from the bedroom and cook your own food if required. The gardens around the living quarters were very soothing. The breakfast service was very good and efficient. The aerobus stops right outside the hotel. The bar and sitting area was spacious.

• Reviewed: 23 February 2017

Sea view and garden
    • Studio

The Kitchenette is poorly equipped. We asked for a large fruit bowl but had none. Ended up by asking the restaurant for more bits and pieces.A large sharp knife was provided. Sauna and steam room not open between noon and 4pm.

The breakfast spread was excellent. Lovely gardens and we did have a sea view.

• Reviewed: 14 February 2017

Well located hotel surrounded by beautiful gardens
    • Studio

The bacon at breakfast was rather disappointing, but that's nit picking. The fresh fruit on offer at the same meal was brilliant! It would have been nice to have had just one courtesy bus into town each day, but the public bus service was excellent, so it did not matter too much. As our accommodation was described as a studio, it would have been nice to have had a micro-wave oven.

The four restaurants were all very good with the two rather 'up market' ones outstanding. The violin/guitar duo who performed in the Mirimar cocktail bar were also outstanding. The cocktail bar itself was also impressive. All of the staff at the complex were cheerful, friendly, and helpful. The daily cleaning of our room was first class..

• Reviewed: 7 February 2017

A fun hotel with superb service and all amenities to hand and very good value for money.
    • Superior Studio

The bathroom fittings were very poor especially the bath-V.difficiult to get in and out. Kitchenette also very basic-could do with a microwave.

Super staff, super surrounds to hotel plus all facilities.

• Reviewed: 23 January 2017

Great spot and value for the money.
    • Studio

The kitchenette would have benefited from a few more things like a spatula and a colander.

Breakfast was great. Liked the convenient location, lush grounds and spa facilities. The value for the money was excellent.

• Reviewed: 5 January 2017

The staff were lovely.
    • Superior Studio

Ants in our bed and bathroom were unwelcome and no spray or essential oils available to deter them

The staff were lovely...the location is perfect, the pools and gardens are fab.

• Reviewed: 29 December 2016

Wonderful stay
    • Studio

It was a wonderful stay it this lovely hotel. The hotel has a wonderful garden where you can spend your whole holidays. The room we stayed in would require some renovation but it was spacious and beds were very comfortable. Moreover, delicious breakfast and very helpful staff. And the bottle of sparkling wine for my birthday was a very nice surprise. We definitely recommend Pestana Village.

• Reviewed: 17 December 2016

Relaxed and comfortable winter stay.
    • Studio

A spacious comfortable studio with balcony and view. Really delightful lush gardens.Some good small restaurants nearby, and pleasant walk to town one way and along (hilly) coastal path the other way. Conveniently on bus routes too.

• Reviewed: 14 December 2016

I'll be back
    • Studio

Expand the wifi The tiled corridors and stairs are treacherously slippy when it rains

The beds are brilliant, The staff are great, The breakfast plentiful

• Reviewed: 7 December 2016

A most enjoyable stay at a reasonable price.
    • Studio

Kitchenette very basic. Only one saucepan and no microwave. Wi-fi fluctuated and only signal in reception. Drinks and meals a little expensive compared to nearby cafes and restaurants except for happy hour.

Attractive gardens and classical country manor house style, excellent breakfast, Comfort. Good-sized beds, comfortable chairs and sofa. Views of mountains and gardens from balcony. Cleanliness. Efficient Staff. Convenient for a good range of excellent restaurants at very reasonable prices. Easy to reach town centre. Available Trips

• Reviewed: 7 December 2016

Nice hotel and staff.
    • Studio

We had a ceiling fan in our room which sounded like a ticking clock ! It did the job of keeping the room cool though.

Nice hotel, buffet breakfast with good choice, comfortable beds and clean rooms.

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

transpoted back in time to enjoy the relaxed surrounds
    • Studio

Upgraded to superior Studio upon arrival ,stayed in room 324 which had nice sea views . the hotel team left a bottle of sparkling wine in the room for the wife's birthday. Late check out was given at no extra cost.

• Reviewed: 28 November 2016

We didn`t get the room that we asked in our booking
    • Studio

When we made our booking 6 months prior to our holiday we asked for a quiet, top floor room, but this request was ignored by the hotel reservation manager. What we got was a room above the kitchen. The noise started from the kitchen at 6 am every day which was horrible. On the fourth day we asked the receptionist to let us change room as we were totally exhausted, no one wants to get up 6 am during his/her holiday. The noise from the kitchen was almost constant until 9 pm, also there was an extractor (above the hob) operating in our room which cannot be switched off. This extractor was operated centrally, probably because our room was above the kitchen. After we complained, we were given a ground floor room and they helped us moving our luggage to the newly allocated room. This room was quiet far away from the kitchen, but it was cold and dark. The sun never reached this room, it was not a sun-lighted room. There was no flat screen TV in this room, the TV was analog from the 1990s. Overall, we were very disappointed as we expected much more from a 4 star hotel.

Room and the entire hotel (inside out) was very clean and location was very good. Pool water was clean as well.

• Reviewed: 24 November 2016

Fairly good value for money.
    • Superior Studio

A better arrangement for the tea & coffee facilities in the breakfast room is badly needed. Quite chaotic with some people going "forward" for their tea/coffee, while others coming "backwards" for their milk ......... also, the queue to go in to breakfast was sometimes quite "fraught"! The reception staff were very surly when we arrived-need to remember that people have been travelling since VERY early morning. We have stayed in different hotels in Funchal over the years ( next February will be our 25th stay), and the staff are always very courteous, proffesional and friendly. Some of the staff at the Village need to go on a staff training course at these hotels. It's a pity that four or five people bring down the quality that others are doing their best to build up.

Our "cleaning lady" in room 409 was excellent. and our room was very pleasant and roomy, just a pity that it had no sun on the balcony at any time of day. The 'outside' staff were very friendly and efficient.

• Reviewed: 20 November 2016

Good
    • Studio

Rooms a bit dated could do with upgrading. WiFi only available in reception area, though they do seem to be working on extending coverage.

Good location for walking in to Funchal or to Lido. Nice pool lots of Sun beds. Good breakfast selection. Staff friendly.

• Reviewed: 15 November 2016

So good didn't want to come home!
    • Studio

Shower tends to spray out and flood the floor - ok if not switched on full.

Everything about the hotel - staff very friendly and helpful. Very relaxed atmosphere with beautiful gardens and leisure facilities. Will definitely go back.

• Reviewed: 5 November 2016

It was nice to be able to use the facilities at the adjoining Miramar hotel as well as the Villages
    • Studio

The kitchen area was quite small but had a two ring hob, microwave and a full size fridge

The studio was a good size, the beds very comfortable and the furnishings of a very high standard.

• Reviewed: 5 November 2016

Friendly, quiet and clean village hotel
    • Superior Studio

Excellent buffet breakfast,comfortable superior studio with kitchenette, pool, sauna, massage (extra cost), balcony and view over the mountains, tranquility, lounge area.

• Reviewed: 1 November 2016

Overall slightly disappointing hotel.
    • Superior Studio

Did not get room in Pestana village which we booked, but got room in Miramar hotel and our specific request for a high floor room was not met.

Fado evening very good, good location.

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

3 night getaway
    • Studio

Lovely property with outstanding well looked after gardens. Relaxing and calming. Great rooms and big beds (superior studio) 3 night stay end of October with some beautiful weather. Good breakfast buffet selection 7am to 10am. I see a lot of people complain about lack of WiFi in personal spaces but why be chained to your phone/electronics on holiday? I loved being away from it all not connected to any data form. You can access free WiFi near reception. Also 2 hotels for one accessing facilities at Miramar and Village. 2 good size outdoor pools and indoor pool too. Evening entertainment not the best but this time of year its out of season...We do aim a little out of season though as things are a bit calmer. We found the walk into town not very long. Reasonably fit and took half hour stopping along the way taking in the beauty of Funchal. A bit hilly up and down so maybe not great for those who have trouble walking or elderly. There are plenty of taxis and buses so getting around is easy. Really enjoyed Funchal and all it has to offer from old town to Monte. The cable car a must. Devastation of the fires still visible from the cable car and sad to see. There is a great terrace view found at Madeira Storey in town. Good food and the staff remember you and take extra care to make your visit special. Went to the local farmers market too- avoid this at all costs. I read other reviews warning not to go but we thought we would have a look...harassment does not even some it up!! Aggressive traders and harassment. I would return again to Madeira and this hotel too. A beautiful island - just wish we stayed longer and had the chance to take in the north of the island.

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

Pastana Village, a very nice place & very pritty ...
    • Studio

Breakfast _ A little too much of the same e,g too many beans & not enough choice of yogurts , Toastas far to slow But everything else very nice

Pastana Village, a very nice place & very pritty Grounds , Staff very Helpfull & beds very comfortable

• Reviewed: 7 September 2016

Location is good.

The suite we had booked was not available and therefore they gave us an upgrade but the master suite in the villa had no air conditioning and a flat roof top so it got extremely warm inside. After three days we moved to a regular studio in the hotel but the air conditioning was also not working there. A fan gave some cooling but not enough. The temperatures outside were high (35-40 degrees). Therefore I did not have one good night sleep. Also the first week in the hotel there was a relaxed atmosphere but the second week it seemed it had been discount week in the UK. People were loud and tacky.

Location is good. Near restaurants and 20 minutes walk from Funchal city center. Staff is polite and kind.

Generally Very comfortable.
    • Superior Studio

Beds too firm .Not enough padding for honey shoulders.

Large beautiful gardens.

Great facilities, amazing breakfast, fantastic garden

Great facilities, amazing breakfast, fantastic garden

Excellent value for money stay
    • Studio

Amazingly friendly and helpful staff. Overall cleanliness and beautiful environment.

Comfortable hotel in good location
    • Studio

Evening entertainment, echoed down corridors, so even if you didn't want to hear it, you really had no choice

Kitchen in room

Very pleasant hotel.
    • Superior Studio

Buffet dinner was disappointing.

Lovely gardens. Quiet at night. Good buffet breakfast.

A good rest
    • Superior Studio

The weather wasn’t good, but thats nobody’s fault!

The best buffet breakfast I’ve ever had! Wonderful pools and facilities

Great value break
    • Studio

Beautiful hotel and gardens, very spacious

Very enjoyable.
    • Studio

We loved the gardens in particular. The evening entertainment and the buffet breakfast included were also very enjoyable.

An excellent place to stay in Madeira
    • Superior Studio

Breakfast time was very busy and at times crowded. Managed very well by the staff though.

We had a very relaxed time
    • Superior Studio

We love it's location to Porta bay area

Peaceful and charming
    • Studio

More expensive than some nice, smaller hotels that we stayed at.

Lovely setting, so much nicer than some of the surrounding monstrous edifices.

so far so good we are now in our own apartment .

this questionairry referring to my wife of 53 years as partner

everything we have been with pastana since 1999 .

Overall a great experience
    • Superior Studio

Cost of parking the car Cost of drinks at poolside bar

Great breakfast

the perfect hotel for a weeks holiday
    • Studio

Everything you would want from a holiday hotel.

Gardens and Pool pleasure
    • Superior Studio

Breakfast average and internet intermittent

Gardens and Pools

fabulous week in Maderira

Couldn't fault anything.

Clean very comfortable rooms. Excellent breakfast. Nice swimming pools. All staff very Curtis.

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017