Reviews of Hotel Ponta Delgada 3 stars

Rua Joao Francisco Cabral, 49, 9500 208 Ponta Delgada, Portugal

#26 of 38 hotels in Ponta Delgada

Bed was very comfortable.
    • Comfort Single Room

Fitness area was rather poor and limited to two stacionary bikes.

Bed was very comfortable. Indoor swiming pool was clean with reasonable dimension. Breakfast was very nice with good and adequate choice.

Excellent room with a huge bed, excellent breakfast, and an amazing view from the balcony :-)
    • Comfort Double or Twin Room

The staff at the breakfast room was a little bit unfriendly... I personelly did not like the loud lighting of the balconies.

The breakfast was excellent with a huge variation of so many different foods for everybody´s taste! The room was so comfortable, clean and perfectly furnitured with a gigantic bed and a large shower. The view from the balcony was really amazing and the location is really good.

Good for a quick stop
    • Comfort Single Room

Was just there for a quick overnight. The room was good sized, very clean, and had nice facilities. There was a hot water for tea and coffee. I did not use many of the facilities, but everything seemed clean. The allowed me to store my bags when I arrived before check-in time, which was helpful.

With exception of the lights very pleasant on the whole.
    • Comfort Double or Twin Room

Lights on the balcony could not be turned off. Also hall and bathroom on automatic with a long delay. This was very inconvenient as we had to get up very early in the morning having the lights on was not very pleasant.

Location, view.

Terrible experience. Go there if you like receiving phone calls really early in the morning
    • Comfort Double or Twin Room

I didn't like a lot of things. Basically everything in this hotel is broken, half-broken or under maintenance. The day of arrival the Jacuzzi was "under maintenance". The day after one of the elevators was under maintenance too. Our room was terrible: every day after 3 p.m. from the bathroom there was a terrible smell of feces coming out from the drain pipe and it was disgusting. Our bathroom didn't have the bidet. The sliding doors to access the small sad terrace were half broken and every time we wanted to access outside we had to use the same force of the incredible Hulk to manage opening and closing operation. Our door to access the room instead broke the second day of our stay and we have to ask TWICE to fix it. The gym was simply a joke as there were just two rusty stationary bicycles. The cherry on top that I've found outrageous was our third day, I was wakened up at 7 a.m. by a phone call from a lady receptionist babbling something about my car in a terrible terrible English. I went downstairs asking clarification and guess what? "Oh, it was a mistake". NO SORRY, NO APOLOGY, JUST IT WAS A MISTAKE. Terrible experience. Great staff mixed with terrible staff the decides it's a good idea calling people in the morning by mistake.

The location of this hotel is good, close to the center and in a quiet road

Swimming pool a whirpool and sauna are great
    • Comfort Double or Twin Room

During our stay there were some construction works in the hotel. Workers climbed to our balcone without notification and they also make a uncomfortable noise

Swimming pool a whirpool and sauna are great

Decent value for a well appointed room in a large hotel a bit outside of preferred city location.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Location is a bit outside the center of tourist interest in Ponta Delgada .. a 10-15 minute walk to most restaurants and places of interest. Parking was 8 euros extra per day, and there are only 6 parking spaces available in a fairly large hotel. Maybe you can reserve ahead of time. Breakfast was abundant but only serviceable. Use of a safe was an extra 1.50 euros per day.

Excellent room, good view. Pleasant front desk staff.

Hotel Punta Delgada is the best kept secret in the city!
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

I would have liked coffee in the room. Azoreans are not big coffee drinkers, so they provide tea. Easy enough to go to the local markets and pick up some Nescafe. Also (and this is an American thing) no iron in the room. There is laundry service, however.

This hotel was beyond expectations. Our room was absolutely perfect. When we arrived there was a bowl of fruit, candies and 2 huge bottles of water. Now that may have been because we were celebrating our wedding anniversary, but regardless of why it was a nice touch! We also had a hot pot so we could make hot drinks if desired. The bathroom was spotless, the bed comfy and the view from the balcony stunning! Was easy to control the temperature in our room, which is not always the case in Europe. The room was on the 5th floor, with access from 3 different elevators. Very little wait on elevators. Our room was exceptionally quiet which we appreciated. Breakfast(free with the room) was excellent. Lots of local fares to choose from! Always fresh and delicious. The staff was very helpful at all times. They have an excellent bar and a restaurant, Obaca (right next door) which is open for lunch and dinner. You get 10% discount at the bar and restaurant if you are a guest at the hotel. Location was perfect! 5-minute walk to the city center-perfect!

Rooms were comfortable, bathrooms great with a good range of...

Pool room could have been a little cleaner but it was fine. The hot tub step was slippery.

Rooms were comfortable, bathrooms great with a good range of products - including conditioner - a first see on our stay in Sao Miguel. Most hotels do not provide this. The view was quite good as we could see the sea, although we are quite set back from it. Close walk to town. Great indoor pool - very warm (31 degrees), and good hot tub. Could have been cleaner in the pool room though. No changing rooms there just a shower room so weird set up in terms of that. As we were leaving very early the following morning they made up some lunch bags for us with sandwiches and juice as it was before breakfast would be served. This was very kind of them and they offered it without asking for it. One of the best hotels we stayed in the Azores and would definitely recommend it you want to stay in Ponta Delgada.

Wonderful location, short walk to city centre and restaurants, very friendly staff!
    • Comfort Double or Twin Room

breakfast hours wish it was earlier

The staff were very friendly upon arrival and throughout the entire trip. Andre was present at reception when we checked in and he was very friendly and he assisted us with getting a tour guide to take us around the city. Everything that was promised was received and the tour guide was very patient and knowledgeable. This entire experience made the short trip worthwhile leaving us wanting to return very soon.

A very comfortable hotel to stay in Ponta Delgada.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Very good location. fairly close to the city center and the airport. The restaurant next door to the hotel and operated by the hotel is worth a visit; it has very good good food and an excellent atmosphere.

Below average
    • Superior Single Room

Where do I even start... I haven't expected too much given it was a last minute booking due to one mishap on my side, but this hotel was even below my lowered expectations. Staff is not exactly friendly and willing to help, they are acting like "ok it's my job I'll do it", the nicest and friendliest people were cleaning ladies. In general, I had a feeling, tourists only exist to annoy the staff... When asked for recommendations for a tour guide, I was referred to the TripAdvisor (which actually did the job, no complaints!) Bed sheets and towels were really worn, and also the staff might have some troubles with math: on the day 1 I had 2 large towels, 2 face towels and 1 bath mat, day by day the number of towels reduced to the last night when I ended up with 1 face towel and 1 bath mat... Seriously? Breakfast was ok - if you'd come early enough, past 9.30 (breakfast is served until 10.30) you'd only have pastries - and ham if you're lucky. The coffee, however, was really below average: I've stayed in many places in Portugal and always admired the coffee, but not here.

The mattress was just as hard as I like it. The balcony had a nice view. Every morning I was waking up to the birds singing. Pastries for breakfast were nice.

Excellent!
    • Comfort Double or Twin Room

Restaurant was closed for refurbishment (wasn’t really a huge drama for us, we walked into town anyway). There’s a little refurb noise going on during the day. There is also quite some noise from planes with the runway being so close. If you’re sensitive to this then be aware!

Friendly staff. We were really lucky and stayed in a newly refurbished room that nobody else had used (their new ‘business’ rooms). The room was very comfortable and clean, with a balcony from which we could see the ocean and a very comfy bed. There were tea and coffee making facilities and a rainforest shower. Best hairdryer I used all holiday. Nice soap and shower gel available. We used the pool, sauna and jacuzzi and all were very good. We walked into the ‘action’ of Ponta Delgada within 15 mins. It was easy to get to the airport and for our very early flight they ordered us a taxi and packed us something for breakfast.

A perfect day at a great price.
    • Classic Double or Twin Room

The location was perfect for walking the the Shrine. The room was great we had a balcony. We had dinner and the meal was delicious. We both had roasted chicken. We highly recommend the hotel for your stay at Fatima.

Fair hotel , close to the town centre
    • Comfort Double or Twin Room

Noisy at times from the flights that land no far from your balcony... Location is good for sight seeing, but 15-20 minutes to the beach- swimming area

Nice bathroom, with bidet; spa , jacuzzi and swimming pool, filling breakfast

We can’t praise this hotel enough.
    • Classic Double or Twin Room

We can’t praise this hotel enough. The location is excellent, the staff can’t do enough for you, breakfast is first class . The rooms as spacious and modern. The bed is just great. I will always have fond memories of watching the sunset from the balcony before heading to the swimming pool.

Good value hotel close to public transport with leisure faciltiies.
    • Classic Double or Twin Room

The sauna and Turkish bath were closed one evening, although we were told they could be opened. The next night they were open but not at optimum temperature, indeed the sauna was cold.

The Staff at this hotel are excellent. So friendly and helpful (a particular thank you to very helpful Jose). I enjoyed the swimming pool and we enjoyed the hotel restaurant. The hotel was undergoing renovation so there was noise during the day related to this. The hotel kindly gave us a bottle of wine with our meal to compensate. We also liked the fact we had a balcony, although it only had sun in the morning. The hotel is close to buses and to the historic centre.

The staff were courteous & friendly.
    • Classic Single Room

The hotel should pay attention to other service providers who can ruin their name like massage therapist, tour operators, etc. The hotel has to give access or recommend only those people who keep up with their standard because apart from damaging their reputation, it also causes unnecessary discomfort to the guests.

The staff were courteous & friendly. The hotel has sauna & pool access & the breakfast served was good. I only had a problem that the massage therapist didn't honour her commitment & value my time.

Nice hotel but..
    • Classic Double or Twin Room

A big one..its very unprofessional to renovate a hotel at the moment that you still host guests..from morning till 18.00 the noise make impossible to stay to the room..make sure that the renovation is over..

Breakfast was very good,the pool and sauna for a 3 star hotel was very nice ++ and the staff very gently and helpful..

I really enjoyed my stay there.
    • Classic Double or Twin Room

The automatic light in the hall and bathroom is a criminal idea. It means that every time someone goes to the bathroom at night the lights go on. In prisons it's classified as inmate torture, isn't it? After two days we covered the sensors with post-it notes and band aid :)

Great breakfast. Big choice and tasty. After a day of hiking we really enjoyed the swimming pool, jacuzzi and sauna. The staff are nice and helpful. Next time I'm in Ponta Delgada I'm definitely going to to stay there.

I do like it.
    • Classic Single Room

I want to mention that I traveled around the world, always 5 star hotels. This is 3, but I feel very comfortable. Not a fancy place, but good.

People are making my stay very comfortable. They have Turkish bath and sauna. Design for Turkish bath is not good but at least they have it and many other hotels don't. Breakfast is very plain, not a huge variety but enough for the morning. And when I sdked for fried eggs versus scrambled they make it and the next morning I walked in they already said that eggs will be ready soon. People are very nice.

Super friendly and helpful staff and nice property (pool,...
    • Classic Double or Twin Room

The only thing I could criticize is the noise from aircraft - luckily there aren't that many early in the morning/late at night and that there is only a glass wall/door separating the room and bathroom (so the privacy there is kinda limited).

Super friendly and helpful staff and nice property (pool, jacuzzi, sauna....)

The location was walking distance to the center, shops and...
    • Classic Double or Twin Room

The temperature in the pool area was too high, it was very unpleasant to be there.

The location was walking distance to the center, shops and restaurants.

No comment
    • Classic Single Room

I didn't like the fact that the cleaning lady's did not know what they were talking about. I have friend visits not someone staying with me and some of the staff at the front desk were rude the day I left. Don't remember the name of the lady but she was plain rude as for the staff at the bar Carlos he was super nice. Loved talking to him very helpful and nice. Also Sara one of the cleaning lady's that was very nice to me as for the others but most of all the front desk the day I left it was simply rude how she thanked me for staying at Ponta Delgada. This was my second time staying there but I won't go back It's sucks because it was very close to the city

We enjoyed our holiday but the above spoilt it for us
    • Classic Double or Twin Room

The bed was the worst we have ever slept in, it was rock hard & had a plastic bed protector which was not fitted and moved when we moved making it even more uncomfortable, The walls were very thin we could hear the person snoring. the resturant refused to accomodate us on our first night after we contacted them to book a table, through booking.com, they said it was not neccessary to book, after travelling all day with only a snack is Atrocious

Size of room and balcony excellent, bathroom good, swimming pool jacuzzi amazing 5 star! staff very friendly & helpfull.

Very pleasant! I wii recommend it .

Can't say I disliked anything

Liked the service at lobby bar. It was pretty late when we decided to order food, but the server was very pleasant, and happy to accommodate. The sandwiches were pretty good!

Great experience in a wonderful island.
    • Classic Double or Twin Room

There is nothing that we didn't like.

The hotel was in a great location, the breakfast buffet was excellent with lots of choices. Staff were very accommodating.

Lovely hotel in Central Ponta Delgada
    • Classic Double or Twin Room

Twin beds pushed together, which is common in Europe but not great for couples.

Lovely hotel in great central location. The room was very clean with contemporary style. Balcony on the 4th floor gave a beautiful view of the ocean. Breakfast included hot options and a good variety of fruits, yogurt and breads. It was a great stay within walking distance of shops, restaurants and the ocean.

Would definately stay at this hotel again

nothing, all was excellent

Great breakfast selection. Staff was top-notch and went out of their way to assist in manner that they could. Location was great, walking distance to beach, restaurants, and shopping

Never again!
    • Classic Double or Twin Room

WORST hotel experience of my life! The staff in this hotel are liers who have treated me incredibly disrespectful. They took more money from my card than they were supposed to, which happens, I didnt make a problem about it. When I asked them to put the difference back they said to my face that they will do it right away and promised to send me an email when it was done (Claudia promised!) The day they were going to make the transfer I received no email, so a few days later I called them. The person on the phone said not to be so impatient and that the money will be eventually returned. When? He doesnt know. Three days later I called again. Same reply. I said they are in the wrong and should fix the situation as they have PROMISED, to which they said oh, this happens very often; more money is taken, its not a big deal, you are making too mich trouble about it. After another week, I called booking.com and explained the situation. They said they would give a final warning to the hotel, which they did - 5 working days. In this time, the money was supposed to be transferred. On the evening of the fifth day, I got a message from Claudia that it was done. Only, it wasnt. I called booking again; they asked for proof of payment, but the hotel refused to provide this. They kept saying all the time that internationa transfers take a long time. After a few more days, again I called booking. Finally, after 20 DAYS they put the money back. It wasnt the delay that annoyed me as much as them lying to me, saying that they have transferred it. They do this to win time, because then they say that the delay comes from the transfer. I just have no words - dealing with such disrespectful people, making so many phone calls, checking every time they say they have transferred it: its so exhausting! My credit card bill came and I had to pay the money they owed me, which messed with my budget and caused me problems. I will go back to the Azores but I will never stay in this hotel!!!

Absolutely NOTHING good to say!

Location was good, reasonable priced and everything works.
    • Classic Single Room

Breakfast starts at 7:30am, that can be too late in case people need to go somewhere at early morning.

Location was good, reasonable priced and everything works.

little hotel at walking distance from city centre
    • Classic Double or Twin Room

the light in the bathroom and room hall had no switch but an automatic sensor that would switch on and off automatically based on movement...not really a great idea if you get up in the middle of the night and wants to avoid waking up your partner....not a major issue of course

The hotel is at a walking distance from the town centre. Buffet breakfast is pretty good: I really liked the fact that they had a choice of local products. View from the balcony are pretty nice and the staff is very helpful

Great trip!
    • Classic Double or Twin Room

area around it isn't the nicest but always felt safe. tv was teeny tiny. Never turned it on once. Steam room never seemed to be working.

great location, pool was nice. Beds were comfortable.

Rooms and staff were great.
    • Classic Double or Twin Room

There is no hotel parking space - for the price paid I was expecting to have a more convenient car park.

Rooms and staff were great. So was the pool. Well looked after place... Clean and tidy!

• Reviewed: 18 March 2017

Highly recommended
    • Classic Double or Twin Room

Great staff, very friendly and attentive people. The room was very nice with great areas and very comfortable! The breakfast is delicious. Excellent internet signal. Very well located with excellent facilities and a great SPA to relax after a long day.

• Reviewed: 14 March 2017

- sauna, jacuzzi, pool
    • Classic Double or Twin Room

- there was no vegetables at breakfast and all warm food included meat - airplanes fly very close - soundproof was quite poor -> take ear plugs with you - balcony is just next to neightbour (no privacy)

- sauna, jacuzzi, pool - nice and comfortable stylish room - big good bed

• Reviewed: 15 December 2016

When we return to Ponta Delgada we will definitely stay here again. It was very cozy.
    • Classic Double or Twin Room

I found it odd that we would be charged for local phone calls... It was located a bit far from major shopping if you wanted to buy something for the room its a good 1/2 hour walk. Like water, fruit, snack...

The beds where extra comfortable. It is in a quiet part of town. There is a balcony so that you can enjoy the weather. Their pool and hot tub area is beautiful and relaxing. Breakfast has everything you can ask for from toast, fruit, eggs, beans, bacon, cheese, deli, cereal, yogurts. The ladies that provide the breakfast are especially friendly and helpful. I asked for lactose free milk and they provided me with Soya Milk...above and beyond.

• Reviewed: 27 November 2016

I highly recommend Hotal Ponta Delgada
    • Classic Single Room

I can't think of a thing I did not like.

I was very comfortable in Hotel Ponta Delgada. The staff was considerate, the food good, the views excellent

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

Good value for a great location
    • Classic Double or Twin Room

The beds were not very comfortable at all.... the pillows were even worse. The curtains were not hung properly, so it was hard to keep the light out from the street.

The breakfast every day was quite nice. I enjoyed the coffee and the fact that there was an espresso machine as well, so you could have that extra little jump start to the morning. I loved having a balcony and the pool was nice as well. The location was the best.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

Good location but a lot to improve
    • Classic Double or Twin Room

Noise between rooms and due to the proximity of the airport. Our room was in an older part of the hotel, it was outdated and worn out. One of the lifts was broken during the whole of our stay. The car parking places are very tight and you need all your driving skills to park the car.

Location Breakfast

Roons was comfortable.
    • Comfort Single Room

Roons was comfortable. Balcony view amazing.

Good location.
    • Comfort Double or Twin Room

Dated decor and room interiors.

Good location. Very warm swimming pool.

• Reviewed: 7 September 2018

Excellent hotel, friendly staff!
    • Comfort Double or Twin Room

Excellent hotel, friendly staff! Great location. Highly recommended.

• Reviewed: 10 August 2018

Great hotel, and make sure to check out their restaurant too...
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Great hotel, and make sure to check out their restaurant too, it is very good!

Good hotel with helpful and friendly staff, good breakfast and clean.
    • Comfort Double or Twin Room

Location was good, near both the airport and the town.

There is a sauna.
    • Superior Single Room

The key card malfunctioned from time to time.

There is a sauna. And a steambath

Staff, breakfast variety and quality, building and facilites...
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Staff, breakfast variety and quality, building and facilites very old, no fridge at rooms, soap bottles refillable bottles empty.

Would stay there again, found it to be a good value for the money
    • Classic Double or Twin Room

There was nothing I didn't like.

Our room was comfortable and clean. Everyone we dealt with spoke good English, was helpful and polite.

It was better than we thought, close walk to center
    • Comfort Double or Twin Room

Parking in the small under ground garage or on the street was a bit of a hassle

Large beds, pool, steam bath & sauna.

The location was ideal.
    • Comfort Double or Twin Room

The location was ideal. The breakfast was very good. Friendly and helpful staff.

• Comfort Single Room

very comfortable place to stay the night....have a hot tub or a meal..the bar food was great..definitely will stay there when in San Miguel...

good

n/a

everything

Good breakfast.
    • Classic Double or Twin Room

Good breakfast. Stable Wi-Fi connection.

Lovely hotel and staff

All good

Very friendly hotel and breakfast superb

Breakfast was amazing

Breakfast was amazing

highly recommended
    • Classic Double or Twin Room

Breakfast was above average. Very nice hotel with beautiful balcony and overview over the city. Very friendly personnel.

Hotel was an easy walk into the centre.
    • Comfort Double or Twin Room

A little out from the action

Hotel was an easy walk into the centre.

Nice and would stay there again. Good location.
    • Comfort Double or Twin Room

Breakfast was quite limited.

Staff were friendly.

Good location within the town.
    • Comfort Double or Twin Room

House a little damp, but the area is incredibly wet and damp everywhere. Not really a fault of the house.

Good location within the town.

I asked for them to dry off my trainers - they did so,...
    • Comfort Double or Twin Room

Ants in the room. Was kinda weird.

I asked for them to dry off my trainers - they did so, returning them to my room in good condition :) extra mile!

Hotel Ponta Delgada

Beds not comfortable

Staff was awesome

Great Place to stay in Ponte Delgada
    • Comfort Double or Twin Room

The automatic lights in the bathroom.

Close to the town and accessible to the heart of the city by walking.

Close to the airport.

Close to the airport.

Just good...
    • Classic Double or Twin Room

Turkish bath was not working.

Breakfast was amazing and the bed was super comfy!

Great experiencem
    • Classic Double or Twin Room

Decent breakfast, warm pool and jacuzzi, nice view from the balcony, friendly & helpful staff.

• Reviewed: 29 March 2017

OK for one night
    • Comfort Double or Twin Room

Very lumpy pillows that could not be used for sleeping. Breakfast was poor quality.

Nice swimming pool, steam, sauna and hot tub. Basic gym.

Great place to stay

Friendly staff

• Reviewed: 6 February 2017

Superou as expectativas!
    • Classic Double or Twin Room

Hotel Excelente! Quartos grandes, camas enormes, excelente jacuzzi e piscina.

• Reviewed: 31 January 2017

Good place to do nothing and relax
    • Classic Double or Twin Room

Nothing... It was fine place to spend time on the island...

Confortable

Reception

• Reviewed: 27 November 2016

Nice property for a vacation hotel

Small outdated TV

Nice balcony overlooking surrounding area

• Reviewed: 23 November 2016

good location and extremely friendly staff

nothing really

extremely friendly, helpful and efficient staff

• Reviewed: 8 October 2016

lovely staff, good value for money
    • Classic Double or Twin Room

The design was very old, the parking outside of the hotel cost money between the hours 08:00-19:00

lovely staff, good value for money

• Reviewed: 1 April 2016

I stayed 5 nights at Ponta Delgada Hotel

I had no WIFI in my room. Every time I needed connect to the internet had to go to the reception area or bar.

I stayed 5 nights at Ponta Delgada Hotel The hotel really has good conditions for 3 star hotels such as swimming pool, Jacuzzi, sauna, Turkish bath, small gym. The room had good size, balcony with chairs and table, comfortable mattress, the television channels that I really like (History, VH1, Fox, and National Geographic); bathroom with good size, shower with good water pressure and hot. Everything was very clean (something I really appreciate). The breakfast was very good with traditional Portuguese and English taste. The girls there were friendly and found solution for my lactose intolerance. At the bar area I could find a memorable person, Carlos Santos. Very friendly (he works longer, because I and another couple were really enjoying our last drinks before sleep), polite, helpful with his suggestions about how to make our visit to Azores more special. I appreciate see a bartender who knows serve drinks with glamour and professionalism. Well ... I´m a Portuguese who work in a 4 star hotel in central London.

• Reviewed: 22 March 2016

We really enjoyed the facilities such as pool and Jacuzzi.

The associated restaurant did not have very much choice in entrees. I ordered chicken, expecting something interesting, and ended up with 'chicken fingers' -- breaded and fried pieces of meat.

We really enjoyed the facilities such as pool and Jacuzzi.

There are also 47 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.