Reviews of Hotel Praia do Sol 2 stars

Rua dos Pescadores, 12, 2825 - 386 Costa da Caparica, Portugal

#13 of 13 hotels in Costa da Caparica

A very nice location for a low-budget vacation. Not a classy fancy place, but perfect for our stay.
    • Double or Twin Room

The room was facing the main street, which is quite crowded and a bit noisy until midnight, so we had to keep the window shut. If you're sensitive to noise, you should ask for a room facing the back of the building. There was only one electrical outlet available in the room, opposite to the bed (and another one behind the bathroom door) - not very handy with today's many appliances that need charging. An extension cord would make things much better. This was my first time using Booking.com, and it was a nice stay altogether at a very good price - that is why I choose to give the maximum rating. Otherwise, this situation with the electrical outlets was quite annoying and I would have given the hotel a lower rating. An electric kettle in the room, for a quick cup of tea would be much appreciated. The bathroom has separate cold and hot water taps, which makes it more difficult to set water temperature in the shower. The building is old, which gives is a bit of charm, but it also brings some problems: the bathroom door was very difficult to open and close, weak hinges making it rub on the floor. Communication to the hotel prior to our stay was really bad: I asked a few questions via Booking.com messaging and got no response. IT had me a bit worried and, at one point, I seriously considered cancelling the reservation for this reason.

The cleaning staff outdid themselves - they changed towels even when we made it clear we didn't want them changed. No personal items were moved by the cleaning staff, which we highly appreciate. The hotel is located on one of the main streets in town, full of restaurants, beach clothing and apparel, and souvenir shops, granting direct access to both the beach and the but stations (we needed to go to Lisbon and other places south of the Tejo). The staff was always nice and took care of everything we needed. Everyone spoke enough English to get along with. A rather small room, with a vintage dresser, a chair and small table, but a nice comfy bed. If you like to spend the day in, that's not much to look at, but it did not bother us in any way - we were out all day and needed the room to sleep in and shower, which it served for perfectly. Breakfast was plentiful, including cereal, fruit, some pastries, several types of fresh bread, tea, coffee, orange juice, some ham and Swiss cheese. A nice selection in our view, but if you prefer a cooked meal (eggs, omelets, sausages, and so on), you shouldn't expect them here. Walls thick enough, so we were not bothered by noises from other rooms. The street noise subsided around midnight. We didn't spend the day in the room, so we can't say about that.

Basic Hotel but very clean
    • Double or Twin Room

Receptionist could be a bit nicer. It's really annoynig having to deliver the room key (really big and old key) everytime you go out.

spotless clean, good breakfast, grat location, 3 minutes walking distance to the beach. lot of entertainment around the hotel.

Good value, excellent location hotel.
    • Double or Twin Room

Could have been more variety for breakfast, rooms are quite dark. a few steps to get up before you get to reception but there is then a lift.

Close to restaurants, beach, shops, buses etc. 24 hr reception, excellent value for money. Friendly staff, free beach parasols to borrow, nice tv lounge and bar area.

Very disappointing.
    • Romantic Room

Third time in 4 years at the hotel, must have changed ownership as staff much younger (less experience) and far too serious in approach. We booked a "romantic" room which was just a normal double room so not sure how it was thought to be romantic?? Has had a fresh coat of paint but that is about all, there are better accommodations in Costa da Caparica for same price. Will not be back.

Proximity to the beach.

5.5
    I cannot fault the location of this hotel. Customer service skills are needed.

Somehow this hotel managed to cancel our booking. I had two bookings through Booking.com for two different dates of arrival. I cancelled one of them as we needed to stay earlier. A member of staff somehow cancelled the other booking so when we went to check in the booking was not there. At first the guy at the desk simply said we didn't have a booking but as I had my reservation on my phone through the app, (thank you Booking.com) he was forced to investigate further. After an hour, yes hour of waiting and trying to get to the bottom of the situation he discovered that the booking had been cancelled. Luckily the y had rooms and he was able to reactivate the booking. Unfortunately, the young man at the desk was very unfriendly. There was no apology or mention of a discount and although we requested a nice room with a balcony we were given a room right next to the lift. We were there for 3 days and for 3 days we could hear the lift going up and down at all hours of the day and into the night. This stay was very disappointing. I found all the staff at the desk to be unfriendly. They did not know how to smile. The friendliest staff members were the housekeepers who were always polite. The maintenance man who always smiled when he saw us and the young Indian man who managed the breakfast. He was very polite, always working and could understand English perfectly. There is a lot of competition for business in the area and when we next visit Costa Da Caparica we will be using a different hotel. This is a nice hotel. The décor in the rooms is out of date but it is clean. However, for me the staff at the desk disappointed me and I don't want to spend my money somewhere to be mistreated.

We have been staying at this hotel when we visit Costa Da Caparica for several years and always stay here. It is a 5 minute walk to the beach. A continental style breakfast is provided and the rooms are clean although the décor is outdated.

There was nothing about this hotel we liked, it doesn't...
    • Double or Twin Room

There was nothing we liked , it was horrible. Felt dirty staying there.

There was nothing about this hotel we liked, it doesn't deserve the title of hotel. The shower room facilities were dire, to the point I did not shower on the last day. The room was dark and depressing and the breakfast area was like the rest of this establishment, dirty, outdated and the breakfast was extremely poor only ate there once during our 3 night stay. Even the staff were grubby, unkempt and poorly presented. A full refund should be given. It was totally shocking.

• Double or Twin Room

No air conditioning, tiny dated bedroom and bathroom, old grey towels, horrible shower, no natural light, very noisy, fire alarm went off twice every morning

Staff very nice, including housekeeping-every morning were...
    • Double or Twin Room

Needed a fridge in the room :) Toaster at breakfast not great Having to buzz to get in during the day because the other door was locked got annoying sometimes.

Staff very nice, including housekeeping-every morning were smiling and cheery. Location perfect if you want the beach. Everything you need nearby.

Hotel is very old, even no fridge and a/c in the room.

Hotel is very old, even no fridge and a/c in the room. Because of hotel old room and bathroom is smelling. Staff 0 product knowledge. we have checked out second day to the near by apartments which is much cleaner and comfortable with lower even price

Old but quaint. Good beach location.
    • Double or Twin Room

Very different from listing on website which implies there is a pool and sauna when there is not. It is a pay for use spa. Walls are VERY thin.

It was mostly good, the staff was friendly and helpful.
    • Double or Twin Room

It was mostly good, the staff was friendly and helpful. The hotel is far from city centre but very close to see. It was clean and they gave clean towels each day.

Our stay was absolutely fine and really enjoyed our first time in Portugal
    • Double or Twin Room

The noise early morning on the landing . Never saw one person in the bar which is served from reception when there not busy considering there is only one bar near think they could do more

Comfy bed but not much room and very dated staff can look very serious at times but they are very helpful

The hotel was full of school kids on a group trip the noise...
    • Double or Twin Room

The hotel was full of school kids on a group trip the noise was terrible they were running up and down the corridors and in and out of each other’s rooms I did in the end have to make a complaint to reception. The hotel was full and when we went down for breakfast we had to wait for a table and the selection was not all filled up. Bathroom was not well thought out as you could not hardly sit on the loo as it had the hand basin right in front the light in the bathroom was not at all suitable it must have only been a 1 watt as it gave out no light what so ever.

Good location, friendly staff who were very keen to help...
    • Double or Twin Room

Good location, friendly staff who were very keen to help with finding our way around the area, breakfast was good and not too much trouble to get hot water when asked, all food was fresh and plenty of it. The room is basic, the bed was very comfy, bathroom facilities were good, all in all just what you need.

Old school charm
    • Double or Twin Room

Old school charm has its downsides :) - only one power outlet available in room for charging devices. But that's really minor.

Historic hotel on a great location, super close to the beach and restaurants. Bed was very comfortable, whole hotel clean, good breakfast, nice staff, WiFi worked well.

Perfect for a day.
    • Double or Twin Room

Everything was clear. They let me check in earlier, as I was staying for only a half day (arrived in the morning, left around 10PM). They were really flexible. :)

The breakfast was good and enough.
    • Double or Twin Room

Our arrival time was stated in the booking. It was winter time. We were expecting to find a warm room but it was cold because the heating wasn't on. Because of the humidity, it was difficult to breathe. After turning the heat on, it returned to normal. We asked for a room with a nice view. We couldn't. We also asked for two separate beds but there were two adjoining single beds. Except these details, everything was good.

The breakfast was good and enough. The location was easy to reach to many spots. The room was clean. Overall it was a nice experience.

Nice budget hotel which is close to the beach
    • Double or Twin Room

Friendliness of staff at reception

We stay at this hotel once a year to visit my husband's family. Over the years I have seen a great improvement and the hotel looks alot better with the renovations done. The breakfast is always great and part of the price. The only problem was at check in the old man at the desk did not know what he was doing. Also, we left our passports at the other property we were staying at in Lisbon and this caused lots of problems. Remember to bring your passports for check in.

Location couldn't be better. We have the beach near us, just a few meters.
    • Double or Twin Room

Employees very old-fashioned and the person that serves breakfast doesn't even speak the language of the country

Location couldn't be better to relax and run away from everything to persons who really are passionate about the beach.

Room is very small but still a safe place and good location.
    • Double or Twin Room

Too small a room, and room facility is basically non-existent. Only a good TV set, nothing at all, no cups, no hot water, no tea, no coffee, and the bed, bed sheets are old and should have been replaced months ago. The room carpet looks filthy and should have been replaced years ago. Just go to the room, rest and sleep.

Just only the pricing and the location are good. The hotel is located at the centre. The bath-room is reasonably good. For this pricing, the breakfast is okey. There are shops and good restaurants within 1 minute walking.

Disgusting!!!
    • Double or Twin Room

Old and dirty little 'hostel' I wouldn't even call it a hotel. Rooms the size of a prison cell, dirty, without air-con. In bathrooms everything is a hazard. Everything is falling apart. Tables at breakfast stank dirty cloth. The choice of food is none. E.g: few slices of ham and cheese. Some rolls, jam and orange juice. No even slice of any vegetable, nothing! Like it would cost a fortune. They don't even know what 'half board' means. They only provide you with a voucher and you have to walk to the restaurant near by. What's the point of paying for dinner if you have to walk somewhere else. You can do it yourself without paying money to this frauds.

Never again
    • Romantic Room

The room facilities are old for the price. We booked a romantic room and the staff had no idea about it when my boyfriend asked for the bottle of champagne they struggle to find one, the chocolates given to us were out of date as well! We shouldn't have to ask for this because it was on our reservation! In our last night the the hotel had a power cut, TV and sockets stopped working, we call reception and the staff told us they couldn't do anything until next morning! We raised this concerns when we left but the staff didn't seemed bothered about it or even apologised! We won't go back there for sure!!!

The fact that was need the beach

Good location, nice hotel, the best value for money.
    • Double or Twin Room

They didn't provide a safe for our valuable. You have to pay a fee of 3 euros/day for it, and still, it is not the service which I was very happy with. But this is something totally minor compared to the perfect breakfast, the nice rooms and the tidiness of the place!

The place is very well situated, if you are planning to do some surfing at Costa da Caparica, this is the best. Close to the beach, it is on a lively street (basically the main street) and it is very nice. Not very big, but calm, simple and tidy.

It was ok, I guess aside my problem with the old receptionist. I hope they can make the room cleane.
    • Romantic Room

There was an old guy who I usually see work as a receptionist in the morning. When I approached him on the 2nd day of my stay I asked if the fan in my room can be cleaned since I saw it was accumulating a lot of dust, he became defensive and quite argumentative of the fact that all rooms are cleaned everyday. When I came back that night still the fan is dirty. The next time I asked him he cut me off immediately. I don't know why this hotel employs people like this guy. He is in the hotel service but he has very poor communication skills. He doesn't listen to complaints, he's defensive about everything. I came to Portugal for a holiday, I didn't come there to be stressed out and be in a fight with a receptionist whose work is to make sure all the hotel guests are comfortable during their stay. I didn't ask for the moon from him I just want my fan to be cleaned, is that too much to ask? His attitude towards me was uncalled for. I didn't get his name but I remember he usually works in the receptionist desk in the morning, elderly guy, I think he's of Indian descent, not really sure if he's wearing glasses, a little on the heavy side. I would suggest to the hotel guest not to ask for anything from this guy if you don't want to ruin your day!!!!

2 young staff was exceptionally accommodating and helpful. They went an extra mile to make my stay more comfortable. I think one guy is named raffy who carried my luggage down when The elevator broke down on my last day, I couldn't thank enough coz my luggage is quite heavy. The other guy who I met while I'm checking in was very nice and accommodating. He even brought my champagne in my room!, unlike the other receptionist I met during my 8 days stay. He made sure that my stay is comfortable and he served with a smile. I couldn't remember his name but he's the one wearing glasses and has beard, young guy with an accent. Thank you for your service, I do appreciate it.

Central Beach Stay
    • Romantic Room

The is a classic old hotel that has seen better days which is a shame because with a full refurbish, especially the bathrooms!, it could be very nice. Parking as always is an issue but you can park at the door, drop bags, then park a few blocks away for free. The lift doesn't always work so if you don't like stairs get a lower floor. Definitely a budget hotel.

Location is fantastic and quite although right in the centre of the Costa. The bed was also comfortable which is important.

Good hotel at reasonable price
    • Double or Twin Room

Preferred it when there was a coffee/tea/hot chocolate machine as water was boiling hot. Tea needs boiling water and the water from the flask is not hot enough for a proper cup of tea.

Breakfast variety.

• Reviewed: 9 June 2017

Best hotel I've ever stayed in.
    • Double or Twin Room

I didn't like how long it took for the lift to come to the ground floor to then take us to the second floor.

Breakfast was brilliant, staff were so friendly! I would highly recommend this place. You would be silly not to.

• Reviewed: 3 June 2017

Worst place ever for holiday built in the 60's and looks it all round
    • Double or Twin Room

The whole place its been taken over by cheap and nasty burger joints and kebab restaurants also the info on booking.com led us to believe the hotel was 2-5 kilometres from Lisbon centre more like 45

Breakfast was just about edible room was very small bed was a regular double unlike all the pictures SHOWER room was very small tiny window looked out to the backs of other buildings the area was run down and seedy

• Reviewed: 30 October 2016

Very reasonable price.
    • Double or Twin Room

Water in flask not hot enough to make decent drinks. Was better when the hot water machine was there.

Very reasonable price. Excellent location. Pleasant staff. Very good buffet breakfast.

• Reviewed: 22 October 2016

Good economical hotel
    • Double or Twin Room

Water in flask not hot enough to make a decent cup of tea/coffee, which spoilt it for us. Was better last year with coffee machine.

Good self service breakfast. Plenty of choice.

• Reviewed: 19 October 2016

I can't wait to go back!

No improvements needed!

The location is superb, between the beach, shops & restaurants. The room was clean & comfortable. No problem with getting fresh towels. Breakfast was fantastic! Breads, cereals, fruit, scrambelled egg, ham, cheese, juice etc Huge variety of tv channels in the room. Staff were very friendly and helpful advising on the best transport options to get to Lisbon centre.

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

never again
    • Double or Twin Room

Staff not friendly, room not clean or done on second night Pictures do not corresponde to reality Towels ripped, curtains falling of the railings Breakfast offer very poor Would never come back

very nice location

• Reviewed: 22 September 2016

Acceptable, in a good location.
    • Double or Twin Room

There was a problem with people missing each other, and not having their cell phones with them. The hotel personnel refused to call the other person. This was incredible. The hotel is somewhat low quality, which is ok for most of the year, but not when the price is too high.

Acceptable, in a good location.

• Reviewed: 21 September 2016

It was comfortable
    • Double or Twin Room

No AC (though it wasn't hot) No mini bar/fridge to keep stuff in The safe was too old therefor useless. It didn't even close. I had to find hideouts for my cash and passport to be safe..though I feel like it's a very safe hotel, I left my camera + expensive headphones + MacBook in the closet and they were just fine.

Property is 2 mins from the beach. LOADS of restaurants around, pizzerias, 5 star hotels, snacks..u name it. There are two pharmacies 5 mins away, lots of surf shops and the bus from downtown Lisbon drops you 5 mins away (walking) from the hotel. Also everyone knows Rua dos pescadores as there's a street market on it (and shops). Room is good for 1 person, certainly not for more than one. At least the one I stayed in. Breakfast is decent, internet fast, good channels on TV.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2016

Looks like the setting for horror movie

We left our room locked and when we came back the door was wide open. Also, the rooms looked nothing like the pictures on this site and the corridors were extremely creepy.

The staff were friendly and agreed to give us another room. And the breakfast was okey too.

• Double or Twin Room

The smell of the bathroom. No enough electricity sockets.

• Double or Twin Room

No air conditioning. Small, old bed. One chair for two people. Hot and stuffy. Very noisy. Strange musty smelll in the room and bathroom.

Lovely budget hotel

No coment

Nice atmosphere

Bit small room

Nice atmosphere

I would not go there again
    • Double or Twin Room

Old fashion shower. No heating. Basic!

excellent value for money
    • Double or Twin Room

shower ran hot and cold, bathroom would benefit from some maintenance

comfy bed, great breakfast considering the price of the room

Was great to use as a base for visiting friends in the Lisbon area
    • Double or Twin Room

Took a very long time to get hot water

Value for money, security, comfortable beds, clean rooms, fast WiFi, very friendly staff

I advice any one want the beach near of him to be there very...

I advice any one want the beach near of him to be there very nice .

Great hotel and great staffs , breakfast was amazing too

Very nice hotel
    • Double or Twin Room

The young receptionist guy with the glasses was amazing went extra mile and the lady was very nice too.

Good place

Air conditioning

Really nice area and the beach really close
    • Double or Twin Room

The shower was a little old, and the curtain needed replacing

Location, easy access

Try really to find another place to stay.

Old, run down,

Terrible. I checked out the next day

All.

Too expensive
    • Double or Twin Room

Too expensive for what it is. Very old

Good beach location
    • Double or Twin Room

Decor bathroom in need of renovation

Location friendly staff bed comfy

Not that much clean.
    • Double or Twin Room

Not that much clean. Pictures in website are misleading. Smelly carpet

Good

All the pool pictures are lie

Good Shampoo , ar, more light, a brackfast more nice

*****
    • Double or Twin Room

All was perfect , staff was amazing . Food was delicious.

the room was very hot, no air conditioning at all

the satff`s in general was very helpull and very friendly.

All Fine

Fine

• Reviewed: 7 May 2017

Good place to relax after hard days of work

NIL

It was a clean new place and lots of places to shop and eat our meals.

• Reviewed: 16 April 2017

5-star customer service !
    • Double or Twin Room

There was no wheelchair access ramp .....

5-star customer service !!

• Reviewed: 19 March 2017

The bar had no white wine the hot water in the bathroom was...
    • Double or Twin Room

The bar had no white wine the hot water in the bathroom was not good 10mins to run hot

• Reviewed: 18 March 2017

everything is good

everything is good

• Reviewed: 15 March 2017

Fourth time we have stayed and we will be back!
    • Double or Twin Room

Breakfast is vary varied and makes a nice start to the day.

• Reviewed: 11 March 2017

Hotel has a lot of potential, was being refurbished during our stay.
    • Double or Twin Room

Don't order spaghetti from the more traditional restaurants.

The freshly grilled chicken shop.

• Reviewed: 25 November 2016

Kind staff, clean rooms and great location

Kind staff, clean rooms and great location

• Reviewed: 22 October 2016

Not luxurious, but excellent price for room and breakfast.
    • Double or Twin Room

Needed hotter water than the flask for breakfast drinks.

Room service was good.

• Reviewed: 18 October 2016

We liked everything, good location and very very friendly...
    • Double or Twin Room

We liked everything, good location and very very friendly staff.

Good hotel for the price, but not in Summer.
    • Double or Twin Room

There is no air conditioning, which made sleeping very incomfortable.

Loved the location and the friendly staff. The Breakfast was not bad.

Louis and Joao great job.
    • Double or Twin Room

Louis and Joao great job. Thank You!!

• Reviewed: 27 May 2016

The room was soo diffrent from the photos, we ordered with 3 beds and the third bed was in the wholeway, the bathroom was terrible ! The painting from the walls in the bathtub was falling off! Luckly we were just there for two nights.

• Reviewed: 21 May 2016

Location so close to beach, price, cleaned room every day.

New carpets needed. Noise from room above, but think was the inconsiderate guests fault not the hotels

Location so close to beach, price, cleaned room every day. Overall good experience.

• Reviewed: 10 May 2016

Staff very friendly and a nice food at breakfast

Works.they need to inform that is some inprovements going on.what they need to do ASAP very unpleasant. Overall valeu for money

Staff very friendly and a nice food at breakfast

• Reviewed: 3 January 2016

There wasnt anything to like , I was shocked on arrival as...

Where to start ? Room looks like walking in to past aprox 30years back to eighties - facilities is extremely bad , requires redecaration and doesnt deserve even2 starts Breakfast we only had 1 day thought it was for free , its awful. I wanted a fruit , took an orange which was rotten !!!! Showed to staff who completely ignored me- no even sorry. Avoid this hotel!

There wasnt anything to like , I was shocked on arrival as it didnt look like anything in photos. There is not a snoocker/pool table and as reception staff stated it hasnt been there for 2 years but the managament still keeps it on booking.com

There are also 39 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.

Browse Hotel Praia do Sol traveller photo gallery