Reviews of Quinta Das Murtas

Rua Eduardo Van Zeller Nº4, 2710-593 Sintra, Portugal

#47 of 57 B&Bs and Inns in Sintra

• Double or Twin Room

When we were in the room we could hear everything that was going on outside the room. It almost felt like there was no door. In addition every time the lights were turned on in the hallway the room also got lighter - quite annoying.

The location is great....walking distance to the centre. It's a very beautiful old house with a nice garden and enough parking space. Breakfast was really good.

• One-Bedroom Apartment (2 Adults)

Nothing much, but perhaps a suggestion. My room had facilities for coffee making, but no tea or coffee sachets in room and Sintra is not bursting with Mercado type stores. An early coffee in the room on the cold mornings I was there would have been wonderful. On the other hand drinking water *is* provided - big tick for that.

A quaint, cute, “ quirky” (?) Hotel just outside the historical centre of Sintra. Easy walking distance to town and station. Rooms well-appointed and place well kept. Very natural and easy. Rooms in main building or scattered about grounds. Staff very good and helpful.

• Double or Twin Room

The wi-fi was very inconsistent

The hotel has a quirky eclectic feel which is charming for those looking for something different. It was cold and windy when we stayed so didn’t use the pool or gardens but on a nice sunny day it would be lovely. The breakfast was perfectly adequate and included freshly made cake as well as all the usual selection.

• One-Bedroom Apartment (4 Adults)

The parking was difficult( you have to reverse through the gates into the property ) watch out for a large pothole near the gates.

Using your car from this property is difficult .Very little parking in Sintra and the streets for an suv are narrow.Be prepared for a lot of walking to and from Sintra its not as close as some people say.Lots of hills on the way and back,but well worth the effort Sintra is beautiful but expensive. Roddy the Labrador was much fitter afterwards!!

• Double or Twin Room

Some accommodation a little worn, but clean. Pool not open, but the air was chillier.

lovely old building and helpful staff, walking distance to town and in a quiet location

• Double or Twin Room

Apartment in the garden perfect for night relax. Location close to most popular places. Sintra best for starting a daily tour. Car parking 5m from house, very calm and green place. Staff helpful, if we can, going back.

• Double or Twin Room

Getting around the town is very difficult - not the hotel's fault!

Beautiful old manor, exceptionally helpful owner. Great breakfast. Loved the birds.

Nothing to complain. The stay there was fantastic.

The hospitality in this hotel is amazing, very nice people, the food is delicious, it is located in the nature and only a few minutes walking from the city. I can definitely recommend this hotel and would stay there again.

There are two parrots in the garden below our room window and they can be extremely loud.

Beautiful large house with lovely surrounding gardens for guests to spend time in. Unfortunately the pool was not open for the season yet (despite being the end of May) and that was a main reason we chose to stay here.

• One-Bedroom Apartment (4 Adults)

The main disappointment was that it was advertised as a 1 bedroom apartment for 4 adults. It was however a studio room with separate bathroom, which meant for us sleeping in the same room with our 1 and 4 year olds, with limited outside space, which was rather tricky. I think some more accurate advertising is strongly advised.

The grounds were excellent, the breakfast superb. A little sad that the seasonalness of the pool wasn't more obvious but hot tub in good working order.

• Double or Twin Room

There is no kettle in the room which is a shame because after a nice long walk in Sintra, it is always great to come back to your room and have the provision to make a cup of hot tea. I would recommend the hotel to add this facility.

Very beautiful hotel in a picturesque location. The room was nice and clean. The breakfast was great. The staff are friendly. They have a Jacuzzi 24x7 and it was great to use. We had dinner in the evening and the food was great.

I would have liked to have a fridge in the room

The overall setting was very atmospheric, with 19th century furniture. The staff was helpful (Cheers Rodrigo :) ) and the room was very clean.

• Double or Twin Room

Unfortunately when we visited there was a very "unhappy" dog in the area and his constant barking kept us awake for 2 nights and ruined, an otherwise perfectly peaceful, tranquil stay in beautiful surroundings. We had to leave...reluctantly! We still want to give this lovely place a good Review though, it wasn't there fault!

On arrival we absolutely loved the look of the building and location, it was everything we had hoped for from the pictures. The inside was not a disappointment either, lots of great features and design. Our room was very traditional and had a lovely painted ceiling and doors that opened above the courtyard and water feature. The staff were lovely and we would recommend you book dinner (available a few times a week), it was great value for money, lovely food/wine and a very relaxing atmosphere. The location in Sintra was great for walking, a few downhills and uphills so put your good walking shoes on for most of your holiday.

• One-Bedroom Apartment (4 Adults)

Barking dog close by. This needs to be tended to. It made it hard to sleep at times. The spa is not warm enough to enjoy on a cool day.

This is our third stay here. We were pleased to see much investment in upkeep of the grounds. It is normally very quiet, but were dismayed that a dog was barking ALL night very close by. The owners need to speak to this dog owner. I am sure there are local bylaws to enforce the quiet. I had to sleep with earplugs. The breakfast was good, as usual, and the dinner service was much appreciated on an evening we were too tired to go into town. I was sorry to see the parrots locked up in a cage, but I am sure there is a good reason. People tend not to know how to deal with large birds. I missed my cuddle time with Pasha. I was surprised to have such good internet connection, even far down in the garden apartments. Good parking facility was appreciated as well. All in all, a very good stay.

• Double or Twin Room

my stay was perfect! Wouldn’t change a thing!

Quinta das Murtas is an absolute gem. From the picturesque pink manor and it’s property details like the fountain that welcomes you before you even enter the doors, you’d feel like character from story book fairy tale. The staff here are friendly and accommodating. Rod was most charming. I appreciated his help on just about everything! I was only going to stay for 2 nights, but I was having such a wonderful time that I extended one more day.

• Double or Twin Room

The hotel is clean and near in the train station. Breakfast buffet was amazing! Delicious and fresh.. ☺️ Bed and our room are comfortable, with enough heater. Furthermore, near the hotel theres a way that would lead you to moorish castle which is a plus points for me. I would definitely recommend Quinta! ☺️☺️☺️

• Double or Twin Room

We lived not in the main building. We lived in the bungalow on the territory. In the nights it was very noisy when somebody was coming since the audibility There is very good.

Great staff, good breakfast

• Double or Twin Room

There was wifi everywhere, but our (large) room was situated such that we had some trouble receiving it. You have to remember though, that this is a remodeled castle-like structure and walls are very thick, not your basic router challenge.

This place was totally charming and exceeded my expectations. From location to staff to comfortable bed, to hearty breakfast to sitting in the jacuzzi with a glass of Port, it was and completely relaxing and enjoyable experience.

Not applicable.

This hotel took us in at last minute after a terrible cold night at Quinta do Castanheiro in Sintra. As soon as we arrived 4 hours before check in because we hadn't even showered or slept properly in the previous hotel, Quinta das Murtas host and receptionist received us with open arms even though I caught him off guard at his own lunch time. He was very prompt, attentive and sweet. Gave us an excellent upgrade with a beautiful view, when we didn't expect it. Asked if the room was ready for us and told us to come in and park the car in the facilities and check in and get a shower and relax. We were so satisfied and felt so comfortable and special. Great check-in and hosting. And thank you so much for making our stay so easy and let us check in immediately without any problems nor begging. He saw us, "read" us and new what we needed and was kind. We even wanted to prolong our stay but had already another booking we needed to attend to in the South of Portugal.

• One-Bedroom Apartment (2 Adults)

It was a shame there was no bar or evening meal available in the hotel. As there was a period of very heavy rain, it would have been nice to have the option to stay put for dinner.

The main hotel and dining room were stunning to look at although, as we were in separate accommodation, I can't speak for the rooms. (Our apartment was fine). As it was half way up the hill to Sao Pedro, it meant that we went and ate there more than in the centre which we might not have done if based in the town. Once you got your bearings, it wasn't too difficult to walk from the centre to the hotel through the park.

Fantastic place in an old manor. The breakfast room was very beautiful. It was much closer to the castles than I thought. The staff was very friendly giving good tips of what places we could be able to see during our short stay. I would like to return here one day!

• One-Bedroom Apartment (2 Adults)

We got appartment s, it is built industrial light material, and very poor decoration, the mattras of the double bed was crashing so I slept on the couch, they are showing a nice renovated house but a lot of the rooms are not in the main house

• Double or Twin Room

The dinners available as half board were excellent. The breakfasts had a good variety. The beds were very comfortable. The town centre and train station was quite walkable. Helpful staff.

• Double or Twin Room

Nothing bad comes to my mind. :)

I loved everything. The staff, the setting, the rooms -ohmygod-, the views, the jacuzzi just for myself. I kept hearing a sound from the window in the first room they gave me, so the owner gave me earplugs and they changed my room Also with a bigger one. How cool is that? I felt like a queen. Rodrigo from reception was a star, he explained anything i needed to know from Sintra, always there for anything i’ve asked. Very good value for the money. I’ll keep recommending this hotel.

• Double or Twin Room

Having to leave one building for another in order to have breakfast - had to run through the rain on both days.... No internet connection making further bookings difficult (we ended up wasting a days holiday but not being able to plan ahead at short notice) I realise this was our problem but it was inconvenient ......

Breakfast was good.

• Double or Twin Room

Rooms were not ready when we arrived, one bed was broken, furnishings and bedclothes desperately need an upgrade, lock on room was dodgy, bathrooms smell of drains. Staff clearly aware of issues but not very receptive. At this time of year we would have got much better accommodation for the same price elsewhere.

Aloofness of a staff member at reception.

Unique ambience - olde world charm and modern comforts. Knowledgeable and helpful staff - especially Rodrigo.

• Double or Twin Room

We walked from the train station in 13 minutes. It's steep up some winding hills but miraculously easy enough to find. The hot tub wasn't turned on but I persuaded the staff to fire it up and it was operational the next night.

This is a Beautiful mansion up the hill, one of my all time favourite hotels and in a great location between the town centre and the hikes up to the castles.

Our accommodation down in the bungalow was absolutely freezing and the water pressure for showers very low. The beds were comfy enough. We would suggest trying to stay in the main hotel section of Quintas Das Murtas instead.

The location of this property is absolutely excellent - just a short stroll into the townsite of Sintra. The host Bernardo was very informative and polite and able to make excellent recommendations to us as to what we should see in this beautiful town of Sintra.

• One-Bedroom Apartment (2 Adults)

Nothing. All was lovely. They made sure we have everything we need. Only thing i would suggest is access to hot water/coffee

Great location. Rodrigo is a great host

• Double or Twin Room

Extra pillows/blankets not available in the room. Were supplied on request but first night was cold and room was difficult to heat.

Excellent breakfast with plenty of choice and quality. Staff very helpful.

• Double or Twin Room

1. No lift for third floor. The stuff was very helpfull with the luggage on our arrival, but we had to carry it ourself on departure. 2. As Lisbon airport is very near and some flight outside of portugal are early, it would be convienient to have early breakast (Breaft starts at 8:30)/

The old modernelly decorated house. The price is good for the location Breakfast is very rich and tasty

• One-Bedroom Apartment (2 Adults)

This is the best bed & breakfast I've ever been to! Spacious rooms, wonderful and super beautiful territory with outdoor swimming pool and jacuzzi :) And the hosts are amazing, they will help you with everything you could possibly imagine!

• One-Bedroom Apartment (2 Adults)

We enjoyed hiking up the (steep) hill to the hotel. People with mobility issues may find it somewhat challenging, in this respect.

A heritage property in a good location in Sintra. Young, enthusiastic management continues to invest in bringing the hotel up to an excellent standard (some rooms may be at a more advanced stage of renovation than others but still acceptable - the suites are premium and worth the higher price). The breakfast is very good with wonderful fruit, good coffee, good bread, excellent traditional breakfast cakes and cookies, fresh scrambled eggs, a full range of cereals. There is a small but pleasant pool and recreational area. My wife and I recommend this hotel, whole heartedly.

• Double or Twin Room

This is a beautiful hotel in an excellent location. Close to the center of town. Great breakfast, plenty of choices. Friendly and helpful staff, printed our boarding passes for the flight back to the Azores. Comfortable bed. Great value.

The internet/wifi was only in the main building and even there was intermittent. the breakfast area was a little small for the number of people at the hotel, a little crowded.

rooms were nice, parking was tight but on site and secure.

• Double or Twin Room

We were in one of the garden huts and not in the main building. The bathroom was very old and grubby. Dinner was so so and they made no breakfast accommodations for our early departure. Eventually we asked and we were given the option of selecting tea bags and heating up water in a kettle in our room. I was happy to see that we paid a lot less than other people. I would have been really upset to have paid more.

Beautiful garden

The area is amazing but there were too many tourists and the hop on and off bus was too crowded for four adults and two babies to get on so we didn't see the castle.

Beautiful hotel, great staff.

• One-Bedroom Apartment (4 Adults)

Although two bedroom bungalow was well equipped, the only bathroom was accessible thru the bedroom so third person needed to walk thru other persons bedroom to get to bathroom. Small niggle.

Great breakfast buffet available from 8-10.30 am. Rodrigues at reception check in, was very polite, informative about facilities in hotel and surrounding area. Great to have parking available onsite as Sintra difficult to drive through. Great location within easy walking distance to centre of town and Quinta da Regaleiros.

• Double or Twin Room

Location, location, location. We walked everywhere and left our car parked on the property (free). It was a delight to discover this old mansion which has been restored. Breakfast and bed and tv are all very good.

No elevator. Long line for the breakfast. No vegetables for breakfast. Breakfast starts late : 8:30 at weekend.

Great ambiance, authentic period furniture. Very clean and tidy. Good dinner. Friendly stuff.

• One-Bedroom Apartment (4 Adults)

Out room was a little outdated, on the second floor with no elevator. The parking is in a different entrance from the main one and in order to get the car from the parking to the main entrance you need to drive quite a lot.

Quiet, lovely pool, nice view. breakfast was great. Staff were very nice. short walk to the town center.

• Double or Twin Room

Would have liked tea/ coffee making facilities in room. Not a place for anyone who has a problem with stairs and inclines .

Clean . Comfortable beds , friendly staff.Generous continental breakfast . Multinational visitors . Quirky place . Would go back tomorrow !

• Double or Twin Room

Finding these little properties in these tiny cities on these single car wide roads are very stressful when you don’t know where you are going. Our GPS couldn’t even find it and when we called we had to deal with the language barrier that made it even harder. Once we found it, it was great. I recommend that hotels like this send emails to the customers who have booked with explicit directions on how to get there.

The staff and the property were wonderful.

We have NO complaints!

We loved our stay! Spacious bedroom. Comfortable beds. Super clean. Breakfast excellent. Location beautiful and quiet. Lovely garden. Safe parking inside the grounds. VERY friendly staff. We felt very much at home and will definitely stay here again!

• Double or Twin Room

the room where I was, was to noisy:not isolated enough: I heard all the noise coming from the dining room and the hall.

the bedroom was confortable and cleaned, the quinta is well situated and the garden is nice and quiet, very agradable and I enjoy the jaccuzi. breakfast was very good.

• One-Bedroom Apartment (2 Adults)

The cabins in the garden away from the main house. They were very hot when the sun was shining and very cold at night. The double bed was very small for 2 people and the bathroom was very tight for just one person.

Location was convenient for touring Sintra´s attractions. Breakfast was very good.

It was all amazing!!!!!

We were a massive group celebrating my wedding... Sandra and the entire staff were absolutely incredible.. To see they went "above and beyond" would be such an understatement. We threw our rehersal dinner at this hotel, and Sandra made it so intimate and special for us (originally we were going to do the party outside, and Sandra even went weeks beforehand with me to a catering company to help me translate how many chairs i'de need to rent..later, she even knocked on my door the morning before the party, trying to help me save money by canceling the chair order because of a cold front... She got on the ohone straight away and saved us a few hundred euro... You can just tell they are an honest and caring team of individuals. ). The food was amazing, the entire team was so supportive of all of our slightly wild toddlers, and the rooms are truly unique .. The pictures don't do this place justice, the grounds are absolutely lush and green, we loved celebrating our happy time with Quinta Murtas!

• One-Bedroom Apartment (2 Adults)

Continental breakfast was ok, but cook breakfast option would have been nice. But all was ok

The staff were very friendly and helpful. This is an old manor house and has rustic charm. A short walk to the town centre (but all uphill coming back) however the hotel is very peaceful

• One-Bedroom Apartment (2 Adults)

Marvao is beautiful and worth the visit and this is the place to stay. The views from the deck and the cafe across the road are exsquisite and the staff are friendly and helpful. Definately worth a visit.

• Double or Twin Room

Breakfast was not that good. the heating did not work during our stay and it was cold. the staff did not provide any assistance regarding that manner even though we asked several times.

Pedro was extremely nice at the arrival, but disappeared afterwards. the quinta offers a good deal compared to the area.

• Double or Twin Room

Beautiful house and surroundings, nice pool, jacuzzi and gardens on the premises, very friendly staff, delicious breakfast. Very convenient location - practically all major attractions are within a walking distance - if you like to walk a lot... If you don't like to walk, there is a bus stop nearby.

• One-Bedroom Apartment (4 Adults)

Our apartment did have a bit of an old smell but we got used to it! A few extra touches would have been beneficial, for example coat pegs and places to put towels. Pool isn't heated and not sure if we figured out to use the jacuzzi - was not that hot! Drawers in the cupboard were broken in our apartment.

Very good value for money. Wifi was good. Shower was great. Breakfast was delicious. Setting is beautiful. Good walking distance from the historic centre and train station. Friendly staff (printed our flight passes!). Felt safe. Lovely, authentic interiors. Really peaceful.

The spot to leave your luggage during the day after checkout is out in the open - I would suggest the hotel to find a locked room or space to make guests feel more comfortable about leaving bags behind. It's a safe place but nevertheless.

What a beautiful hotel. Everything was very quaint and authentic. The facilities is well kept and the staff are friendly. Every room is a little different so it feels special when you enter your own unique space. We got a room at the top floor over looks the centre of Sintra. Loved the garden and living room.

• Double or Twin Room

No lift to bring a heavy case upstairs but it's an ancient building so it would be difficult to put any.

Great man at the reception! He told lots of useful info! He is very nice! Thank u, Pedro!!! I arrived late and he immediately offered me a dinner: very tasty, big portions with a drink (if u choose Sangria, they bring u not just a glass but a decanter!) The pool is not big but you can refresh in it after a long trip (open 24h)))

• Double or Twin Room

have to carry my luggage to the 2nd. floor through the stairs. no option of having cofee or other beverages and/or snack after 22:00.

very nice property. nice welcome. both owners helped with attractions nearby and commented advices respectively. didn't have the time to enjoy the peacefull swimming pool and nice the garden and the lovely decorated lobby because of our schedule. worth enjoing the facility. also have dinner in midweek days. very goog breakfast as indicated.

• One-Bedroom Apartment (4 Adults)

Wifi signal needs to be fixed

The design of the whole property is just stunning ! Family Bungalows are spread separately around the swimming pool , jacuzzis, and the pond ( with some ornement fish ) underneath trees , and a very kept garden. Parking for cars is just steps away from the Bungalow

Minor things needed repair. Breakfast not served until 9am (which is late considering all the attractions people want to get out and see before crowds build up) and 10 mins late opening doors the morning we were there by which time a queue had built up and quite a hectic breakfast time ensued. Need to drive into front yard to check in then get code to get in back gate to park, which is down steep flight of external stairs from house where we were staying on 2nd floor so too much to contemplate taking all our bags up - just decanted what we needed for the night into smaller bag.

lovely gardens, hot tub and pool

• Double or Twin Room

Staff friendly and helpful. Peaceful setting away from the main hub of Sintra itself but easily walkable. The village of Sao Pedro, 10 mins walk, had several nice bars and restaurants which were less busy than Sintra itself

• Double or Twin Room

Breakfast can be a little bit chaotic when busy and wi-fi was rather unreliable.

Travelling as a family with a 12 and 18 year old we were given adjoining rooms in the main house. The double room was huge with a separate seating area. Both rooms clean and comfortable. Nice communal sitting room with views over the garden. Staff were fantastic providing space to store two bikes that we had hired for three days and arranging airport transfer on our last day when there were no taxis available. Just a couple of examples of staff doing that little bit extra. Nothing seemed too much trouble. This is a quirky 18th century building so do not expect 21st century luxury, however location and staff were fantastic and accommodation all clean and comfortable.

• Double or Twin Room

Breakfast staff didn't seem very cheerful and the eggs didn't appear until 9 o'clock,when we had already eaten

The room in main building was small but nicely furnished

• Double or Twin Room

The breakfast was not realy that special. We missed some personal extra's. The Wifi wasn't working as it should be.

This quinta is somewhat like a B&B. It's located 10 min from the centre of Sintra on foot, so easy to visit the town. The quinta is nicely repainted outside, but inside it could get a little refurbisment. Not that we didn't like it: it's definately good price/quality. But some more modern, timeless features would lift this place up to the next level. The room we got was in an outside pavilion in the garden and was basic. But we had everything we needed. Perfect for one or two days.

Some walking up and down the hill involved unless you drive. I enjoy my walk though and the view is beautiful.

Spacious apartment, close to the village centre, beautiful view

They have parrots in the garden in a big cage which start to yell after sunrise .. so if you want to sleep well dont choose this place because their birds are really laud and very annoying. No elevator :(

Nice place, cosy and modern rooms, people working there were really friendly, good breakfast compared to other accommodations' in Portugal. The garden is great with the swimming pool.

No elevator. If you are on the top floor make sure you pack light. As you have to go up 4 flights of narrow stairs.

The breakfast buffet had a great selection of fresh fruit and pastries. They also served scrambled eggs and toast. The room had a nice view of trees and the pool.

• Double or Twin Room

The beds are simple and not very comfortable. Otherwise great!

The staff was very nice and welcoming; lovely garden and outdoor pool. Breakfast was better than average and dinner at the hotel was great. The location is great and a little off the beaten path. The lounge and other common areas like the garden make it easy to get in touch with other guests and share travel tips.

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

• Double or Twin Room

There was an unhappy parrot outside our bedroom window. Lol

This hotel is more of an inn. It is charming and has tons of personality. You drop back in time staying in a home. The grounds are beautiful. It is an easy walk to city center and far enough outside to not hear any noise. If you are adventurous, there are easy trails to follow to walk to the Palace and Castle. Beware-it's all uphill. But...when you finish, it is downhill.

• Double or Twin Room

Property is a little dated and would benefit from a little update but then again it is in an old beautiful quinta :)

Good breakfast. Beautiful location, close to a variety of restaurants and a little park around the corner. Also thumbs up to the table tennis outside!

• Reviewed: 9 June 2017

• One-Bedroom Apartment (2 Adults)

Sadly some works were happening close by, a little noisy. The bedroom had separate single beds, the jacouzy needs and kitchen need some update.

Nice location, close to activities and close to centre. Nice view. 3star accommodation, with good breakfast. Amazing restaurant close by. (Incomun restaurant) Friendly staff.

• Double or Twin Room

Breakfast is ok but could be improved

Very nice garden with swimming pool and Jacuzzi in the middle of a beautiful park. Lovely room and living room. Staff is very friendly and helpful. Restaurants and city center are 10 min walk

• One-Bedroom Apartment (2 Adults)

The staff were all friendly and helpful, pretty location, clean and good breakfast. The hotel is situated quite high up and the roads and pathways are very narrow and hilly. But so is all of Sintra

The bathroom wall/mirror was transparent which was good to get light in, but you could also see into the bathroom from the rest of the room.

The breakfast was amazing, the facilities including the pool/hot tub and parking were wonderful, the staff was friendly and helpful, the dinner offered was also very good, and everything was very clean. Location was good as well, about a 5-10 minute walk from the historic center.

• Reviewed: 27 April 2017

• One-Bedroom Apartment (2 Adults)

There were a lot of steps up and down, and steep slopes, both in the accommodation and in Sintra. But in a hill resort, this is only to be expected.

We were in an independent villa beside a large pond, with a waterfall, frogs, fish and birds. Floor to ceiling glass windows that opened. The manager was friendly and helpful, the setting and comfort exquisite. Breakfast was included and it was surprisingly cheap.

• Double or Twin Room

Our room was pretty small and located behind the reception, quite noisy for the guests arriving late in the night

The location in the middle of a beautiful garden Cleanliness

• Reviewed: 16 April 2017

We got very lost every time we went out of the door, so maybe better directions or a clearer map of the area would have been useful.

We had a lovely warm welcome at the hotel (rated best welcome of the holiday!) and we loved the look of the building, the lounge area and the hot tub!