View vacation packages to

3. Norte Region B&B and inn reviews
  4. Porto B&B and inn reviews
  5. Reviews of Guest House Alvares Cabral

Reviews of Guest House Alvares Cabral

Rua Álvares Cabral, 341, União de Freguesias do Centro, 4050-041 Porto, Portugal

#138 of 296 B&Bs and inns in Porto

Verified guest reviews from real Bookers

Real Bookers. Real stays. Real opinions.

Read more– opens a dialog box

• Reviewed: June 21, 2019

Good location, amazingly friendly and helpful staff, you can...
    • Economy Double or Twin Room

Good location, amazingly friendly and helpful staff, you can sit in the garden to rest and drink a bit of tea. The breakfast is good! Very good price/quality ratio!

• Reviewed: June 13, 2019

Normally I would not write a review but we had a wonderful time in a lovely place

I had to come home

All the people there were very kind, helpful and friendly and did their best to make our stay a very nice and special time. The rooms and decor were really nice and also comfortable .

• Reviewed: June 5, 2019

They go out of their way to make sure you have a good time...
    • Economy Double or Twin Room

They go out of their way to make sure you have a good time in Porto. Meaning, they will show you where to eat, what to do etc....extremely nice and polite!

• Reviewed: May 27, 2019

Staff advice was helpful and information about Alvares Cabral was especially interesting.

Unfortunately on the second morning the coffee was barely warm, but we were leaving early and did not wish to delay etc

Breakfast was very good,. Bread and pastries with home made jams were appreciated.

• Reviewed: May 17, 2019

Fine old home
    • Economy Double or Twin Room

It wasn't clear to me that I would have to pay for parking from the listing.

The elegant old home was a treat to stay in. Walking distance to town. Wonderful hosts. Discounted parking.

• Reviewed: March 14, 2019

Good value for money. It has the climate of old Porto building which is both an asset and a drawback

Little light in a room The shower was leaking Unpleasant smell sometimes in th bathroom - from the sewers or the ventilation (I am not sure) We are not allowed to take keys with us, just to leave at the reception but anyway, it was open 24h so no problem

Colonial & navy style inspirations for the interior design Beds - very very comfy Staff - so helpful and friendly Good value for money 24 H reception

• Reviewed: February 28, 2019

Fantastic place!

Everything was fantastic! It looks very nice with all those wooden art decorations in the rooms, the room was very clean and with heater, which is not so common around in Portugal. Thank you!

• Reviewed: February 21, 2019

Very convenient.

Bathroom very small needs an update. Parking on site but expensive.

Very convenient. Most things within walking distance, near metro & supermarket.

• Reviewed: February 9, 2019

Simply amazing! Don't look anywhere else :)
    • Economy Double or Twin Room

Nothing. The place was simply superb, I'll definitely stay here again! Perhaps the location was a little bit far from the main old(and hence touristy) part of Porto, but it was all accessible by walking.

The room was beautiful, comfortable and clean. I really did not expect my stay to be this nice. Comfy hard bed. Heater! The room was nice and warm :) The price: excellent for what we were getting. All in all, I really recommend this place!

• Reviewed: February 3, 2019

Honestly the best guest house I’ve stayed, and I travel all...

Doesn’t exist.

Honestly the best guest house I’ve stayed, and I travel all around the world! So totally recommend it! The staff are some of the best people you’d ever meet, even just a chat with them makes your day! Do choose here, it won’t disappoint!

• Reviewed: January 28, 2019

The staff was wonderful.

The staff was wonderful. Very helpful and friendly. We received couple of nice advices where to go and what to see, moreover they congratulated me for my birthday, that I had at that time and we had one evening very nice talk in more people with tasting local wine and cheese. :) Guest house itself is very nice, stylish old style building, rooms comfortable and it is in a great location, few steps to the centre and also to the direct line to the airport. For me it will be always the right choice when coming back to Porto. Highly recommended!

Stayed in January 2019

• Reviewed: January 3, 2019

Great central location to see Porto, wonderful hospitality...
    • Economy Double or Twin Room

Great central location to see Porto, wonderful hospitality and local knowledge from hosts. Free port in reception was a lovely touch! Breakfast was decent. Coffee was great. Highly recommended!

Stayed in December 2018

• Reviewed: November 25, 2018

4.5
    The rain didnt help
    • Economy Double or Twin Room

Insistent on being paid upfront which I thought was weird as they already had credit card info from Booking.com - didnt happen again in a hotel throughout trip. shower holder broken, musty, too many steps upstairs. room. most of street under renovation entrance very unappealing.

welcome porto drink. owners tried to be helpful but appeared overtired.

• Reviewed: October 18, 2018

The bed was good, but rather small than expected, quite...

The bathroom was very weird, was not on the pics of the room profile and when you enter the room for the first time you just see a small white plastic box instead of the real bathROOM. The room itself was veeery small, no refrigerator and no place for baggage etc. Quite disappointing space-wise...

The bed was good, but rather small than expected, quite narrow. Otherwise the personal was very friendly.

• Reviewed: October 9, 2018

Everyone was incredibly nice, and gave excellent...

Everyone was incredibly nice, and gave excellent recommendations for dinner. The homemade jams at breakfast were delicious, and added to the lovely atmosphere.

• Reviewed: October 7, 2018

Stylish guesthouse close to the centre
    • Economy Double or Twin Room

We got a room looking towards the inner courtyard so there was no street noise. However the other side of the building faces a very busy and noisy street. Noises from other rooms can be heard because the walls are thin.

Very nice building. Very friendly staff. Room decoration is uniquely good in this price category.

• Reviewed: October 3, 2018

good location, friendly staff,

the street is very busy and noise front of the hotel, but it didn't disturb us, since our room was on the other side

good location, friendly staff, good breakfast, our room was facing to the garden so it was quiet

• Reviewed: October 2, 2018

I would probably not stay here again. Did not feel the value was worth the money.
    • Economy Double or Twin Room

The bed was so uncomfortable I hardly slept (economy room). Breakfast was the least favorite on our 2 1/2 week trip.

The Staff was wonderful and very helpful. Warm welcome and accommodating. Neighborhood was within walking distance to everything.

• Reviewed: September 25, 2018

Wonderful Guest House, lovely hosts, absolutely recommendable!
    • Economy Double or Twin Room

I'd have loved my own bathroom, just for the comfort, but the bathroom we used was across the hallway and super clean, the shower was excellent. The owner even opened another bathroom just for us, but that one was on the top floor and I was too lazy to walk up the stairs. I would like to mention that the road is paved with cobblestones and with the cars speeding up the hill it can get quite noisy. There is no air con and in order to not suffocate we slept with the windows open. I used ear plugs so I was fine, but I could imagine that this aspect would be an issue for some people.

We arrived and were warmly welcomed by the owner of the Guest House. He told us that in every room there is a piece of history about how Brazil was discovered by the Portuguese. And indeed, every single room is individually designed and you can see that lots of effort and love for detail has been put into the work. The house itself is very old and could benefit from a lick of paint on the outside, but inside it's super cosy. The bathroom was clean and the shower nice and hot. We could have parked our car in a garage but decided against it, as parking on the street is available (albeit paid for between 9am and 7pm) and we left Porto for day trips to little villages, so we ever only used it at night. The guesthouse itself is located around 10-15 minutes by foot from some bars and restaurants, if you want to walk into the city centre it's take up to 30 minutes I'd assume. However, public transport is closeby and the staff are very helpful and provide you with whatever information you need.

• Reviewed: September 23, 2018

Gorgeous and friendly

We wanted to add a night but they were full. Ha ha- our mistake!!

The host was super friendly as was the other staff. Gorgeous and modern room with nice back patio. Good location.

• Reviewed: September 20, 2018

We stayed in 2 rooms and especially liked the first room...

Loved the garden. Very nice old house.

We stayed in 2 rooms and especially liked the first room with an ensure bathroom. It was as much larger. The staff here go above and beyond to make guests happy.

• Reviewed: September 14, 2018

Friendly, helpful staff, but short beds
    • Economy Double or Twin Room

My husband, who is only 5'9", had to sleep in the foetal position since he was too long for the bed. We would prefer a private bathroom.

It was convenient to have a toilet and hand as in in our room.

• Reviewed: September 3, 2018

Good location, friendly knowledgable staff.

The shower leaked!

Good location, friendly knowledgable staff. It doesn’t look much from the outside but it’s great once you get off the street. Yummy fresh bread and pastries for breakfast too! Super helpful when we needed to change our plans and they helped us with our bikes too!

• Reviewed: August 18, 2018

Suggestive stay
    • Economy Double or Twin Room

It would have been better if there has been breakfast included. Anyway the price we payed was fair. I recommend it

The owners and the staff have welcomed us with friendly and politely, giving us different advices to discover Porto in the best way: from where eat to the places to visit. My friend and I stayed in the economy room, really suggestive with historical details, besides really clean and comfortable! We had a share bathroom, with a spacious shower.

• Reviewed: July 16, 2018

Perfect for a short city stay

Few corners were not dusted as I expected (webs and similar). Breakfast is primarily sweet. A LOT. And not as you might hope for if you're used to hotels proving a broad choice. Unrelated note for fliers: the airport metro line runs ONLY every 30 minutes. It's not a "every 5 minutes" line. You miss it, you're in pains...

Place's perfect. Hosts were welcoming and nice, going to the next mile by doing an "extra" personal favor I asked in advance for. We felt welcomed and "nurtured". 8 minutes walk from the metro station (although not an easy one for who has small kids/strolley) which leads from/to the airport. Breakfast isn't wide in choices (on the contrary...), but is very tasty!

• Reviewed: July 10, 2018

great stay!

Bathroom should be renovated.

Good breakfast, great staff - they helped us around the city, gave us a map and recommended tourist places and restaurants. everyone was exceptionally nice :) The room was tidy and cozy. the room was high up without an elevator, but again - the lady from the reception was awesome and helped us around with our suitcases.

• Reviewed: June 22, 2018

Really enjoyed my stay with Guest House Alvarez

The walk uphill with my luggage was a little challenging but it was worth it to find this nice quiet hideaway that is still close to the city.

Super friendly check in with lovely Rita who took the time to give me some excellent tips of things that would interest me in Porto. Lovely garden to relax in if you need some time chilling out.

• Reviewed: June 14, 2018

Comfy, clean and big room even if it was an economy room.
    • Economy Double or Twin Room

The room was very nice and cosy. The staff is very friendly, they showed us what we can visit in Porto so you can organize your day. I would recommend this hotel for future visitors.

• Reviewed: June 13, 2018

I don't know what to say about public safety . There are no tourist police patrol at night . Why ?

The night security around this area is suspect . They are public loiterrers and smell of urine at the pavement , its terrifying after dark . I was being followed by seemingly suspicious character from my restaurant to the hostel .

The staff . Her name Hendrietta . She is a role model for warmest reception .

• Reviewed: June 3, 2018

The staf was very lovely and helpfull.
    • Economy Double or Twin Room

The room had a really bad smell. Also there was no free breakfast although it was mentioned in trivago's discription.

The staf was very lovely and helpfull.

• Reviewed: June 1, 2018

Nice place to stay for a few days.
    • Economy Double or Twin Room

At booking it was not clear we booked a shared toilet/shower, which we cannot accept for personal reasons. At extra cost we could get another room. Don't know what we would have done when the room was not available. Parking was in a garage nearby, but was not free of charge (12 euro/day).

It is a big house. On the outside it seems old, on the insight a lot is refurbished. We had a room with a shower box. Breakfast in the garden. Close enough to town. Very friendly and helpful personel

• Reviewed: May 18, 2018

Amazing staff who provided us with a great tips for...

Amazing staff who provided us with a great tips for restaurants and additonal info about easiest way to reach certain city hot spots. Perfect for couples. Special thanks to Cristina who was the real sweetheart. We would definetely recommend this place to our family and friends. Simona & Jan

• Reviewed: May 4, 2018

Cozy guest house with friendly staff

The guest house is in a quiet neighbourhood, but you could hear quite well from the other rooms in the building. Especially the water pipes made some noise that could wake us up sometimes during the night. But with ear plugs that should be fine.

It's a small and cozy guest house in a quiet neighbourhood. Only 15 minutes by walk from the city center, and not far away from bus stops and two metro stations as well (Lapa and Trindade, direct metro from there to the airport for example). Well cleaned, cozy interior design. We didn't try the breakfast here, so can't say anything about it. There are many nice cafes and bars in the area so we always had breakfast somewhere there. The staff of the guest house is so friendly, nice and helpful! When I booked our stay I had some wishes about the room that I sent to them by e-mail and they answered really quickly. And when we arrived they had arranged an even better option for us than what I asked for so we were really happy about that. Overall we had a really nice stay in this guest house and we'd recommend it to our friends as well :)

• Reviewed: April 26, 2018

Cosy place for decent price, friendly staff.

It was very well decorated, with interesting paintings on the wall. The pillows and the matt were wery cosy as well. The staff was very helpful and told us tips what to see in the city. They welcomed us with a small glass of portwine, which was very kind.

• Reviewed: April 15, 2018

The rest of the stay was oki.
    • Economy Double or Twin Room

The bed was extremely small- we could hardly fit in 2, taking into account we do not weigh over 55kg. It could be okay for one person. The breakfast was very poor- a slice of cheese and sausage, a glass of juice, coffee, a croissant, a bun, only- I had my coffee and went to have breakfast out.

A very helpful staff!!!

• Reviewed: March 19, 2018

lovely romantic stay in center of porto
    • Economy Double or Twin Room

all was great, we will surely be back.

very lovely spot for enjoying centre and Clérigos area. about 10 minutes walk to bolhao, the owners are very helpful for all your questions and provide great itinireries for discovering porto.

• Reviewed: March 2, 2018

Pleasant stay
    • Economy Double or Twin Room

There was a specific smell in the room and kind of cold although there was an electric heater

The staff is very nice,helpful and communicative, good English speakers. The rooms are nicely decorated

• Reviewed: February 14, 2018

Everything was perfectly fine. Our room was very clean, really quiet and nicely furnished. What is more there wasn't any issues with heating - this is really important in February. The guest house is very well located - 15 min to the bridge so I can recommend it with no doubts.

• Reviewed: February 5, 2018

Good location, great and helpfull staff. Tasty local breakfast. Recomend to all!
    • Economy Double or Twin Room

Good location, close to the all city routes and near city centre. Perfect and helpfull personal, tasty local breakfast. We really enjoyed our stay in Porto.

• Reviewed: January 31, 2018

Very good place:)
    • Economy Double or Twin Room

The stuff was very helpfull, room was nice, clean, very good localisation, the busstop of night bus from airport is just a few steps from guesthouse. Very good place to stay for a few nights:)

• Reviewed: January 9, 2018

Great place, we will stay here again!

Lighting in the backyard to the kitchen is not very bright in dark winter.

From all the places I have stayed at, this was one of the most welcoming - you have the feeling that the guest house is not just run for a living, but because they really like having guests and looking after people. Great beds, excellent room design and renovated bathrooms (don't trust the pictures). Breakfast includes fruit and stuff, and as an alternative there is a marvellous coffee place opposite. Walking distance to some great restaurants and most attractions.

• Reviewed: January 3, 2018

Great staff and guest house, fab breakfast and good location for new year celebrations

Our room got a little bit cold but we did have an oil filled heater which we switched on in the daytime. If you are 130kg then the shower is a little small but very powerful and did the job 😁.

Lovely quirky, unique place to stay. The staff were all extremely helpful and lovely. Our room was very spacious with great nortical decorations. Breakfast was lovely and fresh.

• Reviewed: December 30, 2017

Good hostel and amazing staff
    • Economy Double or Twin Room

Very friendly staff, tidy and well cleaned place. Also, I think the decoration of the rooms are nice and creative. For sure, I would stay in this hostel again.

• Reviewed: November 5, 2017

The place to stay in Porto

The best guest house we stayed at this year. The staff was very helpful and polite, all of them. We made the most of our time there thanks to their tips and recommendations. The room was very cozy and it is the place you expect to find when planning your ideal vacations in Portugal. You feel welcome from the first minute and we will definitely stay there next time.

• Reviewed: October 23, 2017

Unique building, comfortable rooms, helpful staff.

elevator for the disabled, but probably not going to happen.

Very nice continental breakfast for $5 euros. Old house without an elevator- not the place for the disabled or wheelchair bound. Comfortable, cosy, with modern bathroom and backyard where you can take your breakfast if the weather is nice. Friendly helpful staff

• Reviewed: September 22, 2017

Very homely. Staff were very keen to help . Even arranged a birthday party for my wife!

A little far to walk down to the river, and of course up hill to get back! Pillows were a bit lumpy!

Beautiful décor, really comfy bed, excellent staff.

• Reviewed: September 20, 2017

Amazing time in Porto
    • Economy Double or Twin Room

I made a reservation for two days and wrongly booked the economy room, my father wanted to change and on the second day they easily found a room for us. besides that, the rooms are beautiful and the location great. A special thanks to Cristina that made our stay the best possible.

• Reviewed: September 19, 2017

Away from the city but close enough.

Breakfast - too much bread and no variety. Small portion of ham and cheese. Noisy neighbours.

Lovely staff that made us feel most welcome. Well decorated room. 24 hour reception.

• Reviewed: August 14, 2017

Nice for short stay.

Bed was a little small (short - I am 178cm and only just fit). We were on the top floor, so the bathroom we had was with sloped ceiling, so not much headroom. The shower leaked a little. No A/C, so had to keep open a very small window which was not really enough for ventilation, and very little natural light.

Very friendly staff, always with a smile. Lovely character in the hotel, with nicely furnished rooms. Comfortable and quiet location, only 10-15mins walk into the centre of town.

• Reviewed: July 7, 2017

Great place, excellent staff and can see now why it is heavily booked - will use again.
    • Economy Double or Twin Room

Only thing that I could think of was having to use the stairs (suitcases) but very minor point and you have to expect that with this type of property.

The staff were excellent, very friendly and helpful with hints on what to visit, restaurants etc. Could not be better !! Breakfast and drinks were great value.

• Reviewed: June 25, 2019

The staff and the breakfast
    • Economy Double or Twin Room

It was a little far from centre

The staff and the breakfast

• Reviewed: June 17, 2019

Booked a room with two beds, after the payment was made I...
    • Economy Double or Twin Room

Booked a room with two beds, after the payment was made I was told I will get one bed and need to pay extra for two... not cool.

• Reviewed: June 13, 2019

Helpful Staff,good knowledge of rated restaurants and trips
    • Family Room (4 Adults)

A slight miscalculation of booking, when another occupant was included

Helpful Staff,good knowledge of rated restaurants and trips

• Reviewed: June 9, 2019

Nice hotel with excellent location

The price for this time was too expensive for the kind of hotel

Nice hotel with excellent location

• Reviewed: May 27, 2019

It was good, but missed cleaning one day

Noisy from other rooms

It was good, but missed cleaning one day

• Reviewed: April 29, 2019

The owners were very friendly, welcoming and accommodating.
    • Economy Double or Twin Room

The owners were very friendly, welcoming and accommodating. Beautiful backyard.

Stayed in April 2019

• Reviewed: April 26, 2019

Wonderful stay, lovely home
    • Economy Double or Twin Room

Really nice people, helpful, accommodating. Location great. Good value for money.

Stayed in April 2019

• Reviewed: April 8, 2019

Friendly and helpful staff!

---

Friendly and helpful staff! Unique and exquisitely decorated room!

• Reviewed: March 21, 2019

Very friendly and caring staff!

----

Very friendly and caring staff! Good location

• Reviewed: March 14, 2019

Really awesome

Staff were really friendly and genuine. Room was bigger than expected.

• Reviewed: March 9, 2019

Very friendly the employees from the hotel.

The bed from my room it was a bit small.

Very friendly the employees from the hotel.

• Reviewed: February 28, 2019

Very pleasant accommodation with welcoming and helpful host.
    • Economy Double or Twin Room

Owners and staff extremely helpful

• Reviewed: February 24, 2019

Staff

The hotel was too much old and inside there were musty smell. The moquette smell of dusty.

Staff

• Reviewed: February 18, 2019

Great people
    • Double or Twin Room with Extra Bed

The room was cold. My bed was making a lot of noise when I move on it.

Staff was really helpful and kind.

Stayed in January 2019

• Reviewed: November 23, 2018

Very comfortable bed in a quirky looking room

Very comfortable bed in a quirky looking room

Stayed in November 2018

• Reviewed: November 19, 2018

Very nice staff and perfect location.

Everything was ok.

Very nice staff and perfect location.

Stayed in November 2018

• Reviewed: November 1, 2018

Rustic & nice accommodation with very helpful personnel

Location, old and original building but well maintained, very helpful and friendly personnel

• Reviewed: October 25, 2018

Helpful and kind staff.

Wonderful people.

• Reviewed: October 9, 2018

Look forward to staying here again when return to Porto, which we loved.

Could not fault it.

The staff were the best. Loved breakfast either sitting inside or in the sunny garden.

• Reviewed: September 27, 2018

Cozy room, nice position, super nice breakfast in the garden

Cozy room, nice position, super nice breakfast in the garden

• Reviewed: September 23, 2018

A great visit to a fabulous city

Everyone was very helpful and made my stay very comfortable

• Reviewed: September 19, 2018

Cleanness

Cleanness . I paid for two although I was alone.

• Reviewed: August 28, 2018

Good value, good location

Good value budget choice with very friendly and helpful owner and staff. Single room was comfortable but a bit small (see value comment)

• Reviewed: August 16, 2018

Lovely old house with a great welcome.

Lovely old house friendly, helpful and welcoming proprietors.

• Reviewed: August 15, 2018

had a comfortable stay and nice and quiet location.
    • Double or Twin Room with Extra Bed

helpful staff and easy check in. As we had to leave early they were cooperative.

We Price Match