Reviews of Residencial Colombo 1 stars

Rua da Carreira 182, Sao Pedro, 9000-042 Funchal, Portugal

#31 of 35 B&Bs and Inns in Funchal

6.1

• Standard Double or Twin Room

It’s expensive for what you get. The room had a funky smell and same goes for the bathroom. The room I got was at the top of the building and they covered the window so I had little natural light. The blankets felt old and also had a weird smell to it. Staff wasn’t too much of help. Send me to the wrong building at first and never offered other help.

I love the location and the shower was really nice.

• Apartment (2 Adults)

It's a bit noisy during the week due to backing onto a school. The decor is a bit dated

Close to restaurants and bars walking distance to cable cars and walks

• Apartment (4 Adults)

It was not necessary to provide clean towels every day. We would have preferred if you operated a system (with an appropriate notice to customers) where towels left on the floor or, perhaps, in the bath would be replaced but towels hung up would be left for another day. Much more eco-friendly. Room heating was almost necessary during our stay.

Good WiFi Extension cable and extra dishes provided promptly when requested Room always clean and tidy to return to in the evening

• Apartment (4 Adults)

Right next to a school so if you go in term time you can hear them in the playing throughout the day

It was in a good central location. Looks run down on the outside but overall it was really nice. 😁

• Apartment (2 Adults)

Big Stain on matteres it was covered but off putting spent the holiday scratching with the thought of sleeping on it . It's a shame as the property is emaculatly clean in other areas . Disapointed really

Location is fantastic stayed here before in a different room

• Apartment (2 Adults)

The wall were quite thin so we could hear our neighbours in the morning, room needs a bit of attention (bit of dust on the work surface coming from a crumbly ceiling) but it was clean and comfortable.

Location was perfect for everything. Some fantastic local restaurants within steps of the hotel. It was a two minute walk to a shopping centre with a large supermarket. We got a great last minute deal for New Years.

• Apartment (2 Adults)

toilet bathroom I could not get out of the bath 10 inch gap to get on toilet very very difficult

location but I had to pay much more for my app 40 pounds

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Don't like being next to a busy street but you get used to it. Internet is sometimes a bit patchy and the tvs are very dated but they work ok.

The room is quite a good size although the bathroom is very small. It is nice and clean and in the centre of Funchal so very handy for everything. Have been here quite a lot for a few years now and it is good value for money. Breakfast is ok also.

First, when I arrived I didn't get my room I've booked. I got another one, small, dark, windows not possible to close, noisy..when I claimed they told me that I can go and find another hotel, that there is a lot around. That all is booked. After I came second time and claim again, I got my roo, I booked and which was ok. After I solved this all my stay was ok, even the staff The breakfast were super easy.

Good location in the center, after solving my initial problem the staff was nice and helpfull.

Really didn't like the large snooker hall on the first floor directly opposite the hotel that was open until 01:30. The street outside was very noisy until about 03:00 and then the commercial traffic kicks off at 06:00. A shame. Pidgins walking all over the breakfast tables was not nice and a health hazard.

Located in the centre of Funchal with nearby access to buses and harbour.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

For longer stay probably too small and missing equipment for storing luggage and for cooking - but for just 1 night fine. Prize fully corresponds to what is given.

Perfect location in the center of Funchal. Arrived just for 1 night before taking ferry from Funchal harbor, so location very convenient. Small clean basically equipped room with bathroom - but for spending 1 night suited well .

I booked a room with a double bed and when I got there they gave me a room with two single beds. When asked to change the room, I was told that they didn't have available rooms with a double bed in the main building and suggested a room in the next building. The room was small and no outside windows. The bed was wobbly since the center supports were slanted. We decided to stay there anyway. Staff was extremely helpful during the stay and the room was cleaned everyday. Too bad that they weren't upfront with the real conditions of the facilities beforehand. I value honesty and it didn't seem the policy of the place, in the first 5 minutes.

The location is fantastic, with a short walk from the city center, near restaurants, shopping center. Had a fantastic view of the sunrise while having breakfast in the terrace in the 5th floor.

The building is very outdated and not the cleanest I've seen, but it was ok for a one night stay. The receptionist we met in the morning was not very happy or helpful. It was rather difficult to communicate with her which made us feel more like intruders than guests.

Very good location, close to shops and restaurants

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The balconies are a bit narrow

It’s not noisy Dispite being in the center of funchal, it seemed a bit secluded, which I think for me was perfect. No one bothers you at all And the beds? Are extremely comfortable

• Standard Double or Twin Room

There could have been better choice of cereals, better ham and cheese slices for breakfast, Bathroom very tiny and difficult to shower in.

We liked the cleanliness, staff, central location, value for money of this hotel. Also, you have Wi fi access in the rooms. Breakfast is adequate and you also have fruit selection.

On the day of my departure, the lift did not work and I had to bring my suitcase down via the stairs. The girl at the reception then was not particularly friendly and did not mention a sorry about this fact.

I was given a higher floor room which had an extra area with a balcony. So although the room itself was smallish, I could chill out in the balcony enjoying a lovely view. Also, the restaurant was on the top floor where I enjoyed another lovely view of the town. The male receptionist at the check in was very nice.

We booked a double bed room from the beginning, four months before, but we woke up with a room with two beds. The room was unsteady and had an old smell. The bed had some recent stains, my foold because i cheked, I recommend more often washing. The toilet smells strident urina.

The location of the hotel is good, close to the capital center. You also get to the port and public transport stations quickly. If you rent a vehicle you can find a parking spot in the nearby area, even if you can even turn around for 30 minutes. :)))

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Didn't like anything about the residence itself and will raise a complaint with Booking.com directly, the shower facilities were appalling and flooded the floor space each time we used it. Had to use bath towels to wipe the floor. The emergency equipment in shower room had very short string which we could not reach. Thankfully we did not need to use it. We were taken to a residence outside the main reception area, 4 doors down the block, we believed we were staying in same building where reception is located.

The only thing we liked, which is the main reason we booked the property, was the location in Funchal.

Located in the old town, very close to everything, the service in the residence was just right, I got what I needed, for instance continental breakfast, the service staff checked the room every day to replenish what I needed and they were very polite and helpful. The employees at the reception were quite helpful in guiding me about places to visit and other advice even before arriving to the the Island, I had to phone for some doubts I had about car hire, which buses take to get there and more, one of the employees took the hassle to inform me of everything even recommend me some of the companies that organize tours around.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Nice clean room in a very good location. Colombo provides intimate feeling of homey accomodation although located right in the centre of the city. Very calm and quite place. Friendly and helpful staff. We have spent there one night while traveling around Madeira and we are coming back tomorrow once again!

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Excellent 'residencial accommodation', very affordable, with hotel facilities, 24 hr concierge etc, perfectly situated, numerous local restaurants and coffee houses, very central, good sized bedrooms, very clean, AC, rooms cleaned every day, difficult to fault, highly recommended!!

• Apartment (2 Adults)

Dark furnishings in annexe made it dated and gloomy, could do with a lick of white paint throughout. Noisy when people returning to rooms at night, especially around 12-1am. Receptionist informed a walk in possible customer that its same price per night per person for older rooms in the other buildings and newer rooms in main building, in my opinion that leaves little value there for those paying for the older rooms. No security on annexe, receptionist offered the keys to my room to my family who were picking me up and asked her if i was in the room as there was no answer on door intercom. I dont think she spoke portuguse and wasnt able to understand my family. Some towels were too old to use, although there were clean and felt washed they were very frazled and appeared permanently stained. Room and hallway/lift smelt stange due to the old furniture.

Reasonably clean. Cleaner came everyday made beds tidied up and took out rubbish. Towels provided and soap. Cot provided at no extra cost with bedding.

• Apartment (2 Adults)

Like I already said, the price-perfomance is really neat. The only thing, which I didn't like that much was the quality of the hotplate.

We've booked the apartment and we stayed for 10 days. For the price it was more than great. In the room is a lot of space with 4 beds (at least in ours), a small kitchen with refrigerator and a small bathroom. For me, the mattress was way to soft (but I really love a hard bunk). Just around the corner you find a small shop and when you go around another, you even find a shopping mall. I'd definitely book again by my next stay in Funchal :)

• Standard Double or Twin Room

No breakfast available, door locks non-working properly, everytime I go out employees go to my room. The rooms are in another building than the reception, an older one, and we need to leave the room keys at the reception everytime we go out. Price higher than the one on Booking reservation and the hotel Will not payback the difference.

Close to the City center

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The wi fi signal was inexistent. Even the 3g signal was very weak. The room is on a separated, unmarked building, and that confused me upon checkin making me walk around with my luggage.

It was right in the middle of most of Funchal attractions. I walked all over the place.

• Reviewed: 10 June 2017

Doors had to be locked with the key because it was only way to keep them closed. The lock should be fixed.

We liked it! Big room with a refridgerator - 3 beds and child's crib on request, nice balcony with sitting area, clean and spacious. Great location, near shops, supermarket and restaurants. We were there for one night only, we did not eat breakfast or use other hotel's facilities...

• Reviewed: 9 June 2017

• Apartment (2 Adults)

But the room was quite dark, just few light bulbs that needed time to get full bright. Rooms are in another location then reception, a bit unexpected.

It was specious and comfortable. Place is a bit old, but it was perfectly clean and aired.

• Reviewed: 8 June 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The noise from the street can sometimes be annoying at night.

Excellent location, very good restaurants in the area, only 10 mins walk from the city centre, very clean, the bed was confy :)

• Reviewed: 7 June 2017

no parking on site, but many public parkings available in the area for 6€ per day

great location, walking distance from the main attractions (cathedral, cable car station...), many restaurants nearby

• Apartment (2 Adults)

Limited facilities but still great value for money- no Wi Fi in room so use in bars and restaurants-or balcony or comfy chairs - but there is a sun terrace in next block-no hair drier so bring your own-the stairs may be a problem for some

Location is perfect surrounded by cobbled streets and very close to shops ,restaurants ,large supermarket facilities and great value for money- large two level floor apartment with comfy double bed- large fridge freezer with 2 ring hob and a kettle- cleaned every day and towels changed daily- small bars of soap provided

• Reviewed: 27 May 2017

• Apartment (4 Adults)

parking 4 euro per day very noisy because of street in front not very comfortable very stinky...i think it was because of the wet walls wouldnt spend more than 2 days in it

very central early check in possible friendly staff

• Reviewed: 13 May 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Free wifi was available only at the hotel lobby, but not in the room :( We had a tw, but we didn't get the remolt contoller...

Hotel location is the best!! In the centre of Funcal. The room was a bit small but clean. At the reception there was a really friendly and helpfull girl from Macedonia.

• Reviewed: 6 May 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

My room didn't have a window! The room was very small and I could hear every flush of my neighbours' toilets (among other sounds...). Bad wi-fi connection.

The accommodation is located in the city centre.

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

• Apartment (2 Adults)

The street was noisy with traffic. Bathroom door hit toilet so difficult to get in. Receptionist very busy and stressed. Got home covered in mosquito bites.

We were in an annex up the street which was local to the centre.

• Reviewed: 13 April 2017

• Apartment (2 Adults)

I was in an apartment in the annexe and it wasn't cleaned properly. The floor was dirty and there was a film of dust everywhere.

The location of the hotel was brilliant! It was near the marina, shops, bus stops, etc. The apartment was really spacious and the bed was spotless and really comfortable. The staff were really friendly. Suzie in reception was really helpful and such a nice lady. The terrace where the breakfast was served was really nice and had a lovely view.

• Reviewed: 12 April 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

We had no warm water for 2days, so no shower/shaving, explained it at the reception, a mechanic man came, explained that the waterboiler was empty. So no other solution or excuse. Advice: the lady of the reception should do a couse "how to talk polite to cliënts" not ones she smiled in 11 days. The breakfast and cleaning lady's were very friendly btw

• Apartment (4 Adults)

My room was near to school so it was quite loud in the mornings. Features of room were ancient and unattractive.

The location of hotel was great. Staff was very kind and helpful. Bathroom and room were clean. Overall the room was worthy its cheap price.

• Reviewed: 16 March 2017

Wifi in the room rather non existent,

The personnel helped as much as they could. Human and personable. The central location was practical to me, since I travelled alone, and the price was not too high

• Reviewed: 14 March 2017

I am not sure if there was anything. I wasn't big fan of the fact we had to lend hair dryers from the reception but wasn't really causing a lot of issues, unless you are really lazy!

Good location, close to everything in the city, lovely breakfast, nothing fancy but definitely enough, room was very spacious, clean and got a big terrace which was just AMAZING! Everything what we needed for the price! Staff were helpful most of the time, especially Emanuel and Raquel (these two were really nice) - the other receptionist was not that nice, that was upon check-in (when we were leaving she was nice haha).

• Standard Double or Twin Room

no parking. We had to park the car few streets up in the toll parking.

It was in the city center but still quiet in the room. The room was always clean and staff very nice.Could be bigger window - we had just a small one situated to another wall.

• Reviewed: 1 March 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Horrible smell from the bathroom-toilet. No windows. Double bed was actually just a big single bed with single blanket. Very slow wi-fi, useless for online video. No facilities. Missing AC remote control. Overall very damp. Expensive (almost 30€/n) for such a hole.

It was available last minute. Would be ok for 5€/night, not 30€/night.

• Reviewed: 3 February 2017

The most annoying thing is about room service,– I hate when room service takes my belongings and puts them away to a different place. It is not acceptable. Also quite noisy. There are few schools right behind yard view rooms. Also elevator is noisy.

Good location, nice and spacious comfortable rooms. Nice view from the rooftop breakfast point especially on sunrise. Personals are good English speakers and very helpful. Breakfasts typical for such property.

• Reviewed: 24 January 2017

• Apartment (2 Adults)

I didn't like that our apartment wasn't at the same buliding as I could see in the photos. The apartment was reconstructured from an elderly home I think because of that there was an oldish smell in all the apartment.

I liked the balcony and the location.

• Reviewed: 22 January 2017

• Apartment (2 Adults)

See above if that's not enough don't get me started !!!

Stunk of cigarettes on arriving , ash tray left on table with ash in side even though non smoking room! Noise unbelievable it appears there are local residents staying in the apartments also; loud parties every night lift up and down continuously with the most ferocious noise. I tidied the room each day my self and housekeeping wakenyou up as soon as they can only to replace the towels. My linen had cigarette burns in it and remained the same for one week and bed left as I had arranged it so again only the towels to replace. No remote for tv and unable to put volume down which was on 50 manually by tv. Sneared at when asked for an iron. No kettle, dirty plates and cutlery in cabinets. Opposite a pool bar full of hooligan football fans and the (window balcony as advertised) dream on it's some shutters outside of the window directly viewing a school which has playtime in the courtyard for 90% of their day. No heating what so ever no plug sockets unless you have a 2 metre extension from the sink. Btw don't even ask reception! Shocking worst place ever! Don't expect any sleep but easy to get to main attractions but still does not weigh it out. In the peak summer seasons their rates are similar to a 3* hotel located in the same area! To top it off I was waiting for my cab and one of the permanent residents that caused me to have no sleep the night before I'm guessing sneered at me at the front door and tried to start a fight! No care for guest satisfaction better off staying in a hostel!

• Reviewed: 7 January 2017

• Apartment (4 Adults)

It is not in conditions. On your website it shows a very descent place to stay and the location for us was awesome but what bothered the most was the fact that in the website it shows something decent and it real live it is the most poorest thing ever for example the view on the website was nice and then I got into the room and there was a view of a old house , the walls on the website were nice and presented and in the room the walls was all peeling and damaging my cloths, the Bath tub on the website look nice and relaxing (I was looking forward to it) when I got there the bath tub was all broken and the toilet sink was not stable and the kitchen had no kettle , nothing in conditions for me and my family , however it the kitchen there was a fridge that was in maximum and froze all my food(£100 worth of my food that got wasted). I DO NOT RECOMMEND PEOPLE TO GO TO THIS RESIDENCE😡 Also the receptionist was very rude and didn't apologise when we asked for the claim book.

• Reviewed: 28 December 2016

• Apartment (2 Adults)

A slightly softer mattress would have been good although that is probably a personal preference. We were only there for a couple of nights and stayed in an apartment but if we had been there longer it would have been good to be able to turn the fridge on - the plug would not reach to the power

The location was great. We were able to walk everywhere.

• Reviewed: 11 November 2016

The road outside and the bar and games room opposite were very noisy.

At Residencial Colombo you get what you pay for - not a lot in either case. The Ritz it is not but at approx Eur35 per night for a double room with breakfast you are not entitled to expect a lot. It is clean and the beds are comfortable.

• Reviewed: 18 October 2016

• Apartment (2 Adults)

The rooms are little bit dark and small (9m2), in front of every window there is a wall.... poor wi-fi signal in the rooms. In the Apartment I couldn't close the upper windows, they were very high, out of my reach.. So they stayed open all night long.

Great Location, clean bathroom, comfortable bed, friendly staff. I've stayed one night in Double Room and one night in Apartment (2 Adults), The double room was better, nice entrance, fresh painted walls. The apartment was old inside but comes with a kitchen and it's 12m2.

The fact that our towels were changed every day, i guess it is not very environmentally friendly but was nice, clean, and tidy every day when we came back from the beach.

The room with balcony which was very big and comfortable, the clean bathroom and the easy access to town, shops, restaurants, bus stops etc. Good variety of breakfasts.

• Reviewed: 14 August 2016

• Apartment (2 Adults)

Apartments are dirty (ants in bathroom, dirty laundry) and not well-maintained (broken lamps, water either scalding hot or freezing cold)

Well-positioned in the center of Funchal. Staff do their best.

• Reviewed: 11 August 2016

traffic noise at front. No tea making facilities. tea coffee vending machine awful. No air conditioning.

Staff friendly, good breakfast, good location

• Reviewed: 21 July 2016

it was quite noisy at night and rooms get very hot during the night, no air con or fan

Lovely big sized rooms with a large balcony overlooking the city. Very friendly staff

• Reviewed: 30 June 2016

It is true that WiFi was a bit unstable or unavailable in certain parts of the hotel but that's nkt a great concern if the guests are not spending roo much time at the hotel anyway. Breakfast could have a bit more variety on vegetables and maybe one or two hot dishes and one of my friends commented negatively on the coffee (I personally loved it but everyone's taste differs!) All in all though, no major drawbacks that could hamper our stay.

Beds were amazing and extra comfy. The rooms were super clean and we had the room cleaned every day during our stay! Suzy (with the curly hair) was very warm and helpful with directions and guidance. We couldn't believe how amazing rhe location was, within walking distance from literally every sight of Funchal and really close to really good restaurants.

More electric sockets in the bedroom area

Amazing value for money with a fantastic choice for breakfast.

pigeons can be a nuisance, flying into the penthouse area, wanting to share your breakfast!

staff were really helpful

Old forniture

Central location

Nothing.:-)

Price

Breakfast menu is ok but could be improved.

Location, staff, cleanliness, and comfort all very good.

Lovely continental breakfast

• Standard Double or Twin Room

convenient location in the center

Very very noisy. The breakfast was very poor.

Very close to central area

Great price, great location, very nice staff.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The TV was not working properly

• Apartment (2 Adults)

Very welcoming helpful staff.

Everything .. rooms were damaged full of rust m , doors broken , poor breakfast.

Little cute balcony seating area

no internet connection in room, breakfast can be better

very clean and in good localization

The wi-fi was poor. We were given incorrect information about the location of the aerobus stop.

The location was incredible.

Lack of heating in the room on a chilly evening. But you get what you pay for!

Location, breakfast and friendly staff.

Bed and noise outside

• Apartment (4 Adults)

some sites need to be repaired

bed is good,location excellent, a lt of bars, restaurants,in the city centre

Location was great. Staff is friendly and ready to help with different issues.

Shower has curtains to small, which water goes all over the floor!

A lot of noise at night from the game club on the other side of the street

Near to everything

• Apartment (2 Adults)

The position of the computer for use right by the door reception and lifts.

Staff all very friendly, i would stay here again.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

One of the bedrooms doesn't have a properly window, and they should have told us

The patio.