Reviews of Residencial Funchal

Rua do Hospital Velho Nº 19 A, Santa Maria, 9050-032 Funchal, Portugal

#32 of 38 B&Bs and Inns in Funchal

• Reviewed: 9 October 2018

I am recommending it as it is good value for money and clean !

it is ok, a little bit noisy as it is situated near the market, but was too tired after the trips on the mountains to hear anything !

Very helpful staff even some did not spoke english ! Recommend it !

• Reviewed: 30 September 2018

I booked the hotel on the wrong dates-one month later and...

I booked the hotel on the wrong dates-one month later and made a prepayment but saw it on arrival only.The staff of hotel understood my mistake and not only offered to live in the their apartment-Lido Casa Branca but also took me by car to apartment in Sao Martinho and helped settled down. Ten points for you-Jaime.

• Reviewed: 20 September 2018

Comfortable, friendly, economical.

The socket outlets where a bit dangerous, bare electrical wires were showing on both outlets, they looked as if they had been broken for some time - I alerted the staff during my stay who promised to look into the problem.

The bed was topped with memory foam - very comfortable. Staff were helpful and friendly. Good location - close to bus services, a large, well priced Pingo Doce supermarket is literally just around the corner. Accommodation is situated in old town Funchal, which is bustling during the day and evening for shopping and restaurant opening, but quiet for night time sleeping.

-excelent lication,near all atractions.

-the furniture was very old ; - we had no view to outside, the only window was to a wall; - the bathroom was small and it had no window.

-excelent lication,near all atractions. -it was clean.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2018

Nice budget hotel

Clean room in a very good location for a very reasonable price. Perfect base for a solo traveler who wants to explore Madeira without spending a fortune.

Cheap hotel right in the City Centre

We stayed there twice: 2 nights in the beginning of our 2-weeks-stay on Madeira, and 2 nights in the end. The first time our room was facing the street / the market (which for some of you could be too loud, but for us it was ok) and it smelled of mould. I don't really smell that and don't have much problems with it, but my wife is very sensitive to it and she coughed all the time in the room (even at nights). Even if I didn't smell it, my impression of the room was very negative: very old (even the furniture), the bathroom looked disgusting (everything seemed to fall apart). Our second stay was better. We got another room, facing the other side (courtyard). This room did not smell of mould. Even I had the impression that it was "cleaner" in a sort of way. Conclusion: If you are a backpacker or very interested to be close in the city centre and don't need comfort at all, then you're definately on the right place. I personally would prefer to pay a bit more but to stay in a hotel which is / looks cleaner and more modern.

Location: in the city centre, in front of the Market. So you are close to everything you need (food, shops, market, buses etc.). Staff: very nice The price: We paid about 23 EUR per night, which is quite cheap.

Basic accomodation very centrally located

Missed a seating/general area where you could have a sit (and wait eg for taxi or when arriving early for check in). Also my room was at the entrance near the reception, sometimes it was a bit noisy with people talking or checking in at reception...just just short moments. Otherwise the accomodation was just fine.

Location was awesome...in front of the market and very close to many places to have breakfast, lunch or dinner and close the center, shops, parks, cablecar, old funchal and harbour.

Great location and amazing price.

It is across the road from the markets, so you can hear them setting up every morning very early from 4am or possibly earlier. I can sleep with noise fairly well so for the price i thought this was an acceptable compromise.

Great location and amazing price.

Cheap hotel right in the City Centre

Good location and nice staff

Please don't see like a problem because is not, is just a recommendation to improve the painting

They changed towels daily, good location and nice staff

Useful for a short stop over stay.

Although booked as a single occupant, the room was crowded with three single beds which blocked the door to the balcony, and made it difficult to access.

Hotel was very handy for a stop off in Funchal, but I wouldn't recommend a stay longer than a couple of days.

-Only location and price

-Dirty and clogged bathroom sink -Very very small rooms, almost no space to move around.

-Only location and price You get what you pay for, I don't think there is cheaper in Funchal (But still, it doesn't justify the dirty bathroom, eww)

The flat is near the old town, you can easily go by foot.

nothing to say

The flat is near the old town, you can easily go by foot. If you need to park, I HIGHLY recommend you to go to the street Jaime Moniz, near the University on the left you can park 4h for 2,4€ (it's free from 20.00PM to 8.00AM) They changed our room for a flat for the same price, very nice.

Everything was perfect.

its not a problem of the hotel, but you must be ready that one night a week (from Thursday to Friday, maybe) there are tracks uploading in front of the hotel - for the local market - and it lasts all night. Better to have ear tabs for such a night. You also must be ready for long staircases (no elevator) - but the hotel's personnel is very helpful.

Everything was perfect. Very nice people at reception. They helped me with my luggage and I am grateful. One of them speaks good English. Yes, the furniture is very old but in general its a very good price. Local market is in front of the hotel, the local beach is near, and bus station too. Local buses and airport bus , and a big supermarket - everything is within one minute walk.

It's cheap and well located.

The images we saw online were a little misleading. The rooms (or at least the one we stayed in) were old and tiny, the bathroom claustrofobic. I guess it's not that bad if you go there only to sleep but it wouldn't hurt to throw some fresh paint on the walls and change the furniture.

It's cheap and well located. The staff is friendly and rooms are relatively clean. Towels were changed daily. The bed is comfy, I'll give them that. The other things don't matter as much when you get a good night's sleep. All in all, value for money is good.

Unable to comment

Arrived late in evening and despite confirmed reservation we were taken a few minutes walk up to another hotel where we were asked to pay them across the road to yet another hotel to stay...dragging bags along. All done without really understanding what was going on as only few words of English spoken by staff in each of hotels . Saw the same happening to other guests also ..perhaps better to book another hotel in the first place and hopefully know where you will end up. Inconvenient as also had transfers and trip pick ups booked to the booked hotels address.

Unable to comment

Disapointment.

They changed the residencial without notice. I arrived at the adress shown on the website, and was informed that I was going to stay in one other place. Poor instalations, very noisy.

Location and cleanliness.

Convenient, good location, good value.

Difficult to get hold of anyone to speak with.

Good location right next to the market. Basic accomodation but great for the cost. We were kindly refunded for the first night that we didn't get to stay there due to our missed flight.

Very good location and price/quality ration. Clean, warm, simple.

I was missing a bit shared kitchenette to make a coffee and breakfast.

The room (incl. bathroom) is simple and clean, exactly as described. Right opposite to Mercado, means in the city centre. The price/quality ration is very good.

The photos shown as an advertisement are nothing like the...

The photos shown as an advertisement are nothing like the rooms either I or my friend stayed in. Our rooms were very dated, tatty, in dire need of refurbishment including the poor state of the bathroom, but they were clean with lovely towels changed daily and the bed was comfy. But we’ve always said you get what you pay for. It was cheap and very central to Funchal. The staff were dictatorial with the chaps in reception demanding quiet without need at 9pm at night, yet the whole hotel was very noisy in the mornings - inside and out. I wouldn’t recommend but I didn’t hate it either. I didn’t take any photos due to the state of my room. Enough said.

The location was good.

When I checked in I was brought to another property several minutes walk away-with all my bags! The room, ( which had a single bed, then a double bed with a single bed above it-bunks-) Ok for 2 nights looked worn and tired looking and needed a coat of paint. The mattress was not the best. I did not know until the 2nd morning that there was a breakfast.

The location was good. Staff at the new property were very helpful. I had my own bathroom.

Everything you need for a price you would want

I booked this on behalf of a friend, so my review isn't first-hand but the location was excellent, close to the farmer's market and old town, no more than 15 minutes walk from any part of downtown Funchal. I am told that the room was basic but comfortable and clean and it was excellent value for money.

Clean and tidy, all one would expect for a small budget hotel.

Would have preferred a double bed.

The accomodation was basic, but we were travelling on budget and not expecting luxury. All staff friendly and helpful; breakfast simple but plenty of it - all one needed for a day's walking.

Clean, spacious and brilliantly located accommodation right opposite Funchal's main market

The mechanism on the glass patio doors was broken and didn't close properly and there was no lock. There were metal louvre doors outside the windows which closed but didn't lock. Outside were steps down to a little, empty patio, accessible from outside. Although Madeira is a very safe place and the reception is manned 24 hours a day, I would have felt safer if the windows/doors had been lockable. I appreciate that this is a budget property and wasn't expecting luxury but this is a basic requirement.

The location was brilliant - right in the centre of town and right opposite the main market, just a couple of minutes walk from the cathedral, the old town and cable car, bus station and the sea front and port area. There are lots of very reasonably priced bars and restaurants very close by, including a lovely little bar underneath the property, which was brilliant as there is no bar or restaurant at the property. The 24 hour reception was reassuring and the room was nice and big and very clean. There was plenty of hot water and towels, although a bit threadbare, were changed every day.

Great location!

Although this was a low-budget hotel, the rooms could have been presented better. Cupboard looked really old and shabby. The extra bed although unused had a broken lattenrost. WiFi was terrible. There were some loose connection issues with the only single plug point in the room.

Great location! Right in the city centre.

Still exceptional value

This time we had 3 single beds in our triple room. Only one of them had a comfortable mattress, the other two very quite uncomfortable (probably old). Cleanliness in the bathroom. They don't have a PC at the reception which means that when you book online on the same day, they cannot check your reservation. But the situation was sorted out (receptionist called her boss).

The wifi was good. Great location, right in the center. Exceptional value.

Very good value

Unfriendly receptionists. The single bed had an old unfcomfortable mattress. The bathroom wasn't 100% clean. No free parking but this is normal in Funchal.

The double bed had a very comfortable (new) mattress. Our room had a (small) balcony. Close to restaurants. Exceptional value in off season. Close to the paid underground parking (6€ per 24h).

Great location and good service (not all personnel speak...

Some room renovation would be appreciated. Also a kettle, hairdryer would both be a great addition.

Great location and good service (not all personnel speak English but they call someone who does and are always willing to help), small but clean bathroom (in spite of a damp smell occasionally), room adequate but in need of some refurbishments (open wardrobe, only one chair, walls too dark, comfortable beds though), wi-fi speed sufficient.

Great location and service

The only minus was the lack of kitchen.

Perfect location right downtown and close to supermarkets, buses, bars. We got our towels changed and beds fixed daily.

We didn't like the noise and the lack of space but price and location are great.

The street is very trafficked, event at night. We had a triple room and it was really crammed with the three beds (all twin, no double even if asked for), the very small wardrobe and the table. The bathroom is very tiny. Everything looks very old.

Centrally located, value for money, friendly and helpful receptionists. Beds and pillows were confortable.

Clean and spacious appartment, good localisation

The adress on Booking.com is not correct. After finding a place to park our cars (which was not easy, due to localisation in the center of the city) it turned out that the appartment is located like 10 minutes walking from Rua do Hospital Velho. It wouldn't be a problem, if we haven't got our bagage with us already and if the streets in Funchal weren't so mountainous ;-) It was very tiring to follow the employee with all our staff. Another thing is that the employee only informed that we will stay in another localisation - but didn't tell that it was so far away from Rua do Hospital Velho. We weren't prepared for that.

Good localisation. Very nice, clean and spacious appartment with a balcony. There are groceries and restaurants nearby. 2 bathrooms available in the appartment. I totally recommend.

They took me to the other place...

It was surprise for me when on arrival the receptionist told me in his poor English that they don't have room for me, but he will take me to the other pension 3 minutes away. No, it was not 3 minutes but 15 minutes walk on the cobbled streets. I stayed in the other place for the same price, but you should be prepared for such a surprise.Not nice, if you are tired and this is 10 pm.

This pension has a convenient location in the old town, close to "Mercado" airbus stop. The bus ticket will cost you 5 euro one-way, or 8 euro return. From the stop go 50 m down to the pedestrian crossing, cross the main road and turn left.

Enjoyed it and I recommend it.

Television reception SHOCKING and remotes in both rooms didn't work. Windows banging whole night and room doors SHOULD get spacers fitted. Had to get up on two occasions and go to the room next door pushing a piece of paper between door and frame from stopping knocking. Overall, for the price, one cannot complain.

Excellent location and I will use it again.

basic cheap accomodation in Funchal center

Too small and basic for longer stay, but for 1 night OK.

Nice location - center of Funchal, just accross the street from famous Mercado dos Lavradores. Small basic room with bathroom with not much equipment, but clean and good for the prize. For 1 night stay well suited.

you get what you paid for

You get what you paid for! Too much noise, I couldn't sleep from 2 AM, the location is across the market, it's like the windows weren't there... The bed was bad I had backaches. The personal doesn't speak english, we were 6 friends and he offered an apartment for 4 of us and a room for 2 of us. Old furniture, bad illuminated.

Won't be staying there again!!!
    • One-Bedroom Apartment with Balcony

Met by a man who couldn't speak English. Apartment not in the hotel but a 5 min walk away. Not clean, certainly wouldn't of passed any health & safety inspection. Didn't match pics on website. Kitchen was dirty, cupboards stunk, floors were dirty, no light fittings, shades missing, shower holder broken, wardrobe door wouldn't move, everything felt unloved, dirty and should never be rented out in the condition it was. I know it's a budget apartment but it should at least be clean!! Looked ok when first went in but it wasn't. I was expecting a room like on the website..this wasn't it!!

I liked that the apartment was very central. Supermarkets, bars, restaurants, banks etc.. all very close

Perfect location, but bring ear plugs!

There is a lot of noise, and not just some street sounds, but at 4 a.m. the market across the street is opening up. There are a lot of trucks driving loudly, people shouting rediculously loud and trowing crates around. A solution is to close the doors, but there is no airco and no ventilator, so then it gets very hot.

The location of this property is perfect. It is near old town with a lot of restaurants, close to the bus station and taxi parking. There is a shopping mall with a large super market just two streets away. The room had a balcony which was nice.

Perfect location in the centre of Funchal.

The drain on the balcony had a drain smell. But this is probably because there had not been rain in a long time.

Fantastic central location in Funchal. Close to Zona Velha were We ate and drank many cocktails. Try Flair Spot in the Zona Velga. We were VERY fortunate to be given an apartment on the top floor with a fantastic balcony. Our family of 5 fitted in very nicely. Alberto was extremely helpful and attentive. We would definitely come back to this apartment in the future.

Absolutely wonderful!! Loved the sounds from the market across the street!

The property is situated close to most bus stops and tour operator stops. The market is just across the street and there are many restaurants around the property.

Happy to stay longer

Perfectly located across the road from Mercado dos Lavoradores sometimes there was a bit of noise early in the morning as stall holders arrived to set up.

Though the desk staff speak no English and sometimes google translate didn't cut it they had access to someone who could by phone to solve the only problem which was how to extend our stay. Location suited us perfectly, 2 blocks from Aerobus, 2 blocks or so from red, yellow, green & grey line buses. Plenty of very good options for a variety of eateries.

My and my friend stayed at this property, we got the room...

My and my friend stayed at this property, we got the room for three, even if we were two people sharing, however one extra bed became so handy. The accommodation was quite allright, very clean, nothing exceptional though. However, if you are looking just for a place to sleep at, this is very good compromise between the location, money and service. The location right next to Old Funchal is great.

• Reviewed: 7 June 2017

Value for money, easy access to places.

Building is very old as if the rooms. Room needs renovation. Shower needs modification.

Easy access, door step shopping, bars, restaurants, few steps from Marina port.

Great Service & Good Value for Money

Good Value for Money. Even though the elderly person at the reception did not understand English, he was able to guide us to a restaurant, by walking us there (on the first day) - that was very sweet. Also, in the morning when we needed information on how to reach Monte, etc. - the other person from reception, called someone on the phone who could speak to us in English, and answer our queries, and give advice. - wow, best service ever. The room is quite basic, and very close to shopping area, bus stop, etc... It is right opposite the Mercado.

• Reviewed: 19 May 2017

Basic but good location

The room was very dark; noise from the street sometimes unbearable - there is a fish market on the same street and they start work at 4am! Very noisy with delivery etc. I missed the kettle in the room; double bed was very small- glad we had a single one as extra so used that too. Both room and toilet needs redecorating.

The best thing about this place was the location- close to central bus station; sea front; centre of the old town. Our room was cleaned every day; WIFI worked well. Staff - very friendly.

• Reviewed: 17 May 2017

Cheap and good

Very cheap but good Hotel in Funchal, you can park in the underground carpark in the next street. Our room turned out to be in a part of the hotel that was two blocks away but the room was very comfortable and had a nice big balcony. The owner was very friendly.

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

Centrally located, good base for Funchal and surroundings

The noise from the market, even at night, but that affects the main property building only.

The building where this Residencial is located is right across the Mercado dos Lavradores (main and famous market). This might mean closeness to a landmark, to your average traveler, but for those seeking refuge from an all day marathon on the island, or just plain rest, it is not a good option since the market ends at around 8PM, and begins somewhere around 1AM, with merchants bringing fresh goods. However, in the morning and at our request, we were given the option to change the room with an apartment, plus the cost difference, at about 500m distance from the market. This apartment is very nice, has all the amenities one might want, except for air conditioning (not sure it is needed though) and internet, but we managed without just fine. The area is full of modern shops, the cathedral is a 5 minutes walk and there are 2 big supermarkets 150m away.

• Reviewed: 26 April 2017

Fine, but very narrow rooms!

Staff spoke only Spanish, so it took us effort & time to check in. Also the rooms were very narrow! Finally, price should have included breakfast, as it was expensive for accommodation in this facility without breakfast.

Location was very centered so it was close to almost everything & easily accessible. Also, Sol metro station was a few meters away from the hotel.

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

Its hard to beat the location - well, maybe except if it was...

The number of usable power outlets (to charge gadgets / phones) was quite small. It's easy to fix that, though, if you take your own power splitter.

Its hard to beat the location - well, maybe except if it was directly on the shore with a view to the ocean. A couple of minutes walk to the farmer's market, ocean, central bus station, street full of restaurants, etc.

• Reviewed: 16 April 2017

My stay at Residencial Funchal

Lamp over mirror in bathroom didn't work so light was weak, but I can live with that :) If your neighbours are loud you will here them. I had a noisy family next rooms one night, but luckily they went to bed early. Breakfast is not served at the hotel, but that is really not a problem as there are lots of cafes around the market. One cafe even opened up at 6am on Sundays.

Great location behind the market. Close to the centre, bus stops and the charming Zona Velha, where you will find lots of nice restaurants for dinner. The room, even though it was dark, was very convenient with a comfortable bed, extra blanket, bedside table with reading lamp, a good sized table to put things on and plenty of hangers for the clothes. In the bathroom the shower had warm water and there were soap and towels. Room was cleaned every day.

• Reviewed: 9 March 2017

Comfortable Apartment in Great Location.

The traffic noise in the morning was quite annoying but it was quieter during the night so it didn't keep us awake. Although we didn't specifically book an 'apartment', it would still have been nice if the cooker was working - but I understand the reason for it being disconnected.

We didn't actually stay in Residencial Funchal, so I cannot comment on the rooms. When we arrived at the Pension, we were allocated an apartment nearby, located just above the local shopping centre. As it turns out, the apartment was very comfortable and clean; and in an excellent location - just on the edge of the old town, overlooking the market hall; and 5 minutes from sea-front. We would definitely book again if we knew we were getting the same apartment.

• Reviewed: 26 February 2017

Very good value for money!

The bed an mattress in room 25 was a bit uncomfortable, squeaky, Wi-Fi on-off. Be wary of the noise from the street, you are at the very center of the city!

This residencial is situated at the very center of Funchal, just in front of the Market, close to the old town, but station and the city center. The location is fantastic, plenty of bars and restaurants nearby (even in the same house A Bica), both local and touristy. The rooms are basic but clean, ensuite bathroom with hot shower with good pressure, clean towels every day. After the first night I asked to change my room due to the noise of street/market, and was very kindly given another room. I think for the budget travelers is an excellent value for money! Totally recommended! Obrigada!

• Reviewed: 12 February 2017

January in Funchal

- it would be really good to have an electric kettle available in the room or at least on the corridor

- very good location - really big balcony - helpfull receptionist who recomended us great cuban restaurant in the old town

• Reviewed: 25 January 2017

Fully contented.

Nothing not to like.

Was booked for 5 days originally,But Residential Funchal was so good I stayed two weeks. I'll certainty will recommend this hotel to anyone,as to all my friends. And stay there again.

• Reviewed: 31 December 2016

convenient but not suitable for my return to Funchal and stay a week

only 1 socket so had to choose between light and recharging phone. No kettle or access to boiling water very old fashioned

Very convenient in the centre next to the market but could be a little noisy early in the morning largish Supermarket less than 10 mins walk away

• Reviewed: 30 December 2016

Value for money

The lights in the room! There was literally one small bulb.....we would wait for the morning to open the window for natural light.....

Brilliant location, just off the marina.....and great value for money

• Reviewed: 28 December 2016

great value,city location,clean but on noisy street basic but cheerful

noisy street and 23rd dec is a party at the market across the road till 6 am you wont sleep that night. english not spoken very well by reception.

right in the cultural side of Funchal near buses cable cars and shops so cheap eats very easy. there is the expensive hotel district a bit away only good for night entertainment though. a little balcony. the water flow in the shower great. maids cleaned daily new towels soap and loo paper.

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

Magical Funchal

Our apartment was in city center! Near to markets, port, shops, restaurants! The owner and receptionist was super kind and friendly, they gave us maps, schedule of buses, good advice! I recommended! And Madeira was super pretty! <3

• Reviewed: 8 November 2016

Perfect spot in Funchal

The hotel is located right in the city center, so that everything is close: the ocean, port, the market with tropical fruit, restaurants, promenade. The stuff of the hotel is truly friendly and helpful, basically they tried to help us with everything! Personal thank you should go to Jaime!;))) it really felt like we are guests, not clients!)

• Reviewed: 23 October 2016

Very convenient location

Tips for room improvement: - air conditioning or fan - hair dryer in the room - a fresh coat of paint - a little fridge would be useful

Very helpful staff. Very good central location, for shops, bus stops, Mercado, port.

• Reviewed: 2 October 2018

If you´re going to Madeira to explore it, not to hang out in a hotel, this is the right choice ;)

Housekeeping every day, awesome location, I was expecting much less for my money :)

• Reviewed: 2 October 2018

Extremely good location

Extremely good location

• Reviewed: 22 September 2018

Big, clean apartment with everything that you need 😊

Big, clean apartment with everything that you need 😊

Can't ask for more for the price!

Very basis room and bathroom could be updated, but very good price!

Central position.

Central

Litle noise from the market. Becomes alive early!

Very central, Nice staff, good size Room and free Wi-Fi a plus. Good price.

Great price.

Good service and helfull staff, very central. Good WiFi.

Great location, just opposite the Mercado.

Great location, just opposite the Mercado. Helpful and friendly staff. Basic accommodation but great value for the money!

+ perfect location

- creaking bed - stale air in the room

+ perfect location + nice stuff + cleaning service + good price

clean room - really cheap.

Staff don't seem to speak very much english - not a huge issue though

clean room - really cheap.... perfect for a no frills weekend away.

Great value for money

Great value for money

Stairs

I give 10 points for everthing because

the wifi is not always ok upstairs

I give 10 points for everthing because it could not be better for what you pay. I will come back

staff very friendly, nice room and cheap, city center

staff very friendly, nice room and cheap, city center

Price worthy

Good location and very good wi-fi.

Basic hotel, good location, great price.

The WiFi didn't work in my room and the receptionist wasn't very helpful.

The central location