Reviews of Residencial Lar do Areeiro

#293 of 343 B&Bs and Inns in Lisbon

6.1

6.1

• Double or Twin Room

our room wall was a bit dirty, nothing horrible but could use a bit of cleaning...3

we had a one-night layover in Lisbon, and this property was less than 4 miles from the airport... Not bad, room rugs were a bit dirty, bathroom a bit cramped, but the front desk staff was very friendly. Be careful, though, because the morning breakfast cost 3 Euros per person, not the freebie usually associated with American hotels! The very nice come over all... Would go there again for a brief stay.

• Double or Twin Room

It was more like a hostel than a hotel. The light in the bathroom didn't work. The tv didn't work. Room was very bare-boned and small. The safe was broken. Every time we left the room we had to go to the front desk and have the room key reactivated.

The staff was excellent. Close to metro and taxis. The breakfast was good.

The room was quite stuffy, and opening a window meant letting in a lot of street noise from a busy roundabout.

The men who checked me in and checked me out were very kind, and informative.

• Double or Twin Room

Need some renovation. The shower is not very comfortable. Old carpets in the room.

Close to the airport and the entrance to the Metro is just outside the door. Old traditional portuguese pension. (There are not many left.) You can walk to down-town along Av Amirante Reis. A lot of butiques in the area. Value for money. Nice staircase. Easy to find a taxi just outside the hotel at 2.30 at night.

• Double or Twin Room

Our room in the first floor had a smell of muld all day. The remote control was missing and when we got one, it wasnt working. They should change the sheets, pilows, floors and maybe furniture because they are really old and it is such a same for a beautiful building as that, to not have a nicer interior.

It was in a great location (next to metro station) and the outside of the building was very nice. Also very close to the airport. The young guy at the reception spoke english and was very helpful.

• Double or Twin Room

In the early morning, breakfast was quite poor. Not too many options from 7 to 8 a.m.

Pretty clean, nice location (very, very close to the metro station), friendly staff.

• Double or Twin Room

Lobby seems to be a meeting place for older guys to talk loudly and watch football. Room could do with a bit of refurbishment. A little more fruit for breakfast would be nice. However, given the price, little reason for major complaints.

Good for one night, especially if you arrive at the airport late because it's a short taxi ride and it has a 24-hour front desk. Breakfast included in the price.

• Double or Twin Room

It's in the midle of the City. Metro is in front of it, therfore you can reach everything from there. It was the third time we stayed there and next time we'll be in Lisbon we'll stay there again. Another good thing is that it is not far from the airport.

• Double or Twin Room

the receptionist was almost rude, it is really poorely held, you feel like everything could be dirty even though it might have been cleaned. i have slept in better places for that money even though I must say the price is very good.

it is near the airport, it is cheap.

• Double or Twin Room

This hotel needs to be refurbished urgent. It’s a very old fashioned one but only its good location is the attractive at the moment. Room with very old carpets and very very old shower, all working properly though. Mattress was hard as wood. Booked for 2 nights only so I thought was fair as we didn’t stayed in the room that much.

Very close to the airport, we did get a taxi but you could easily get a bus too, only 10 min away. The hotel is exactly in front of a metro station, really handy and cheap to go anywhere in Lisbon. Staff very friendly.

The light in the room is weak. There was no light over the desk and few light to read on the bed.

Very convenient location, in front of a metro station and next to a bus stop where you can take a bus and reach the airport in 10 min.

• Double or Twin Room

there was cigarette smell in our room couple of nights... which was really uncomfortable

the bed was comfortable and location was really beside the metro which made it very easy to commute

• Double or Twin Room

Had booked a room with a single bed. Was not available, 'cause hotel was full. Was given room 208. Two beds in very small room. Could not walk. Had to move sideways. No instructions to use airco. Breakfast next morning: Knives didn't cut. You had to break the bread, like JESUS. room very noisy. Never again. Not worth the money. Now they charged me twice. My online banking shows double charge. Fix it.

didn't eat croissants. bed was OK.

• Double or Twin Room

The breakfast is horrible, 1 type of ham, 1 type of cheese, and sometimes a small amount of eggs, dont pay for that. Our room was very small, but it wasn't cheap (we got a 5 person luxury apartment for 5 days in lagos, right next to the ocean, for the same price)

Close to public transportation(the metro), the beds are comfortable and clean.

I had to request a room change. In the first room offered, the painting was coming off the walls, the bed springs were hurting my back and the room door would not close until slammed a few times. In my second room, the light switch was coming off the wall and I fpund hair on my bathroom floor. No hair dryer either

Business center available and they were kind enough to store my lugagge after check out.

• Double or Twin Room

The carpet on the floor had stains. They vakumed cleaned everyday. But they should have changed the floor carpens.

Short distance to shopping. Short distance to metro. Short distance to airport. Air condition. Clean towels every day.

• Double or Twin Room

We had not reconstructed room with old furniture and carpet. The window was oriented to the roof and chimney of next building :).

Perfect location just a few steps to the metro station.

• Double or Twin Room

The staff seems to be made of unhappy and apathetic people. The man in the reception had a bad beer smell. I asked a double bad but they ignored and I slept in a two single bed room. All the place is very bad and needs renovation. The bathroom was a nightmare. Everytime I opened the shower I had water all over the floor because they don't have a proper separation between the show area and the rest. Beware of the rooms beside the elevator or you will have a very bad sleep. Breakfast is poor and the room for it is tiny.

There is a metro station at the door of this place. Many buses lines run nearby. The neighbourhood is composed of small restaurants and shops, a lot of residential buildings. Very quiet. The distance is an avarage between Lisboa downtown and the airport.

It was a little further from Lisbon than I thought but still very accessible from metro.

The property was close to the airport and close to all public transport. There were cafes and stores close by.

• Double or Twin Room

I've booked the room by means of booking.com and I've paied with PayPal during the booking. However, it seemed that this info was not registered and when we left the hotel we had to pay again. I've checked my PayPal account and the booking was already paied as I remembered. At this point I don't know how I can have my money back...

Very close to the metro (green line).

Extremely old fashioned with some (not all) cleanliness issues. Facilities not bad for price but could have done with tea/coffee making. Night porter a bit of a misery, day staff lovely Beds Rubbish! My wife took a photo of dirty carpet! Whole place needs a refurb

Cost! Location

Shower was tiny. Initially I had problems with the lights but hotel staff gave me a different card which sorted the problem. You could hear the traffic from the nearby roundabout.

Convenient for Metro.

• Double or Twin Room

We requested a double and were given a twin. The staff were very unfriendly and clearly hated their jobs. We paid for breakfast and it was literally a choice of 3 stale cereals and a coffee so didn't even bother going for it the second day. The hotel was particularly noisy and as a result we didn't manage to get a good nights sleep. The bed wasn't as clean as it should be with hairs left from previous customers. The key card was temperamental and took us a few goes each time to enter the room.

The location is good, right outside a metro station and the line takes you into the centre of Lisbon in just a few minutes (however they are very over crowded). The accommodation was pretty clean but as there is carpet it did smell a bit strange. The bathroom was as expected and the shower worked well as did the air con and TV. The little cafe/bar next door was great, very friendly, cheap and perfect for a late supper and beer before bed. The hotel was ok value for money, you get what you pay for!

The reception was not friendly at all, when I asked for an extra pillow ( I only had one thin one), it was an issue and was told that I should have asked when I checked in??? Surely all the hotels give 2pillows per person. Eventually after an argument I received an extra pillow. I don't think the old guy at reception like English speaking guests. Anyway breakfast was boring and un imaginative as the rest of this hotel and its a bit grubby at the edges neads a touch up! Would not recommend staying here.

The room was clean

• Double or Twin Room

Everything was disgusting. It was the kind of place you pay by the hour.

Horrible staff, the bed was covered in stains, the room smelt of mold, the door to the room had warped and left gaps to see through. The shower was held up by metal wire, the roof to the bathroom looked false, the carpet was damp.

Shower head was very dangerous as it did not stay in the rail. Also mixer shower was very tepempetal as my son got burnt.no kettle in room, but it was cleaned every day.

• Double or Twin Room

The first room I got was not really suitable for a stay of 15 days since the bathroom had an unusual small shower. When I complained they changed me to a better room. However, the next day I found out the shower head in the new bathroom (with a bathtub) was cracked and water was spraying from it. I complained and the problem was fixed that same day. Both rooms we stayed in had no chest of drawers but only a desk. I think again in my case for a stay of two weeks I would prefer to have drawers than a desk. The night lamp was disconnected and could not see an electric outlet to connect it. I did not ask since the switch of the ceiling lights was just above the bed. I believe there are inexpensive things that could make the stay more pleasant. For me, one of them would be to put some wall hooks to hang clothes and/or the towels (can not leave them on the towel rack in the bathtub or they will get all wet) when taking a shower.

The room was cleaned very well and the staff very friendly. The breakfast was good and the items were replenish as soon as the trays were empty. I liked the fact that I had a place where i could lock valuables in the room at no extra cost. However not all rooms have it. The location is very good with the subway entrance just in front of the hotel door. Thus easy access to everywhere including the airport. There are plenty of restaurants and cafes close by and eating out is not a problem. After receiving an email saying that the TV did not work in the room I found out that I could watch TV. Also the WIFI was easy to connect, stable and did not require a password.

• Double or Twin Room

The lights in the room we were staying in worked the first night we were there then the next morning they were flashing on and off giving us horrible headaches and when we complained about the lights to the owner he blamed us for the lights not working and told us that we can no longer charge are devices because that's why the lights did not work but yet the air conditioner,the television and the 3 electrical outlets worked perfectly fine there was also no soap in the bathrooms and only half a roll of toilet paper and the management was very rude

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

• Double or Twin Room

When we checked in the receptionist was rude to us and it turned out we had to pay more than the price booking.com told us. Also, the lady told us there was only 1 restaurant nearby that we could get food from, when in fact we discovered loads

Very close to airport, checking out was simple and breakfast was a simple selection of cereals, bread rolls and some fruit

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

Horrible view out of the windows. No way to keep drinks cold,(even taken out the plugs for the sinks).

Our room was OK to stay for one night and it's close to the Airport. Close to underground.

• Double or Twin Room

Breakfast was just O.K. They ran out of butter.

The location is perfect. You come up from the subway straight into the hotel. Very easy to get anywhere. Clean, comfortable. Great restaurant right next door.

No kettle in room for tea/coffee making facilities. Not enough seats for guests at breakfast it was a very small area for size of hotel. Breakfast was very average and they did not replenish food often enough as they was not much food left.

Convenient to airport. Clean but basic room.Reasonable price

• Reviewed: 19 May 2017

Room was clean but shabby looking. Walls need a good coat of painting. Lights not working. Big boiler in the bathroom.

Breakfast was very reasonable. Some of the furniture on ground level very unusual and stylish. Old residence well kept. Very close to underground station.

• Reviewed: 13 May 2017

The breakfast - at 8h30 there was no food, except for bread from the day before and no coffee. I asked coffee from the kitchen and the waitress said there would be none in the machine, but that she would fetch me an expresso. I had a lousy breakfast, waited and waited, and no one came to me to bring me any coffee, nor any explanation was given. Residencial do areeiro used to be my favourite place to stay in Lisbon, but for many reasons, it has disapppointed me. Not anymore, this was the last one.

• Reviewed: 11 May 2017

• Double or Twin Room

the room was clean but very old. The bathroom looked even older, when taking a shower, the whole room was wet. Breakfast was very,very basic, no coffee in the 2 days we had breakfast, and if you arrived around 8 o'clock, no table free, if you came later, no food any more. So breakfast was taken somewhere else. Staff was ok, but didn't look very interested in the job.

nothing much, just the location

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

There wasn't hairdryer in the room but the reception was able to give us one

The hotel is in front of the metro station,very easy to go to the center(almost 10 minutes)

The problem was that for 24h there us noisy traffic. And one has to keep the window a bit open, otherwise the room gets stuffy. Due to this problem only a little sleep was possible. We left a few days earlier than planned and booked.

• Reviewed: 7 April 2017

• Double or Twin Room

Rock-hard bed, world's scratchiest towels. Bring your own if you don't want to exfoliate.

Staff were helpful, spoke English, and the bus and metro were right there.

• Reviewed: 5 March 2017

Bed was very hard, bathroom was tiny...like a cupboard. The breakfast was the poorest I have ever encountered in all my years of traveling and staying in Hotels. Reception staff were so unfriendly... not one smile and just seemed disinterested in you.

Very, very poor breakfast.

• Reviewed: 29 January 2017

• Double or Twin Room

Lot a lot of selection for breakfast but I guess for the price I paid can't expect too much.

Location, friendly staff willing to accommodate ones needs.

• Reviewed: 20 January 2017

• Double or Twin Room

The room we got was different from the photos in the description. The room was very crappy and messy. Bed was just terrible, and the walls were on some spots without the plaster and with mould.. The man on the front desk did not want even our passports, or any other ID. It was just really awful experience and this was not worth the money!!!!!! Wifi is free but does not work in our room. Ant there was also a hole between the doors.

• Reviewed: 9 January 2017

The staff wasn't familiar with Lisbon not a problem as I speak Portuguese but I think could be a bonus if they could know a bit more about the local area , travel , buses and metro ( things like this )

The area

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

• Double or Twin Room

The facilities were very basic. We used the hotel as our main stop over while we travelled the country so had 3 separate stays. 2 of the 3 rooms were small and all beds old and uncomfortable. The male receptionist was grumpy and very unhelpful. Breakfast was the same every day and uninspiring.

The location. Good powerful shower . The female receptionists were helpful.

• Double or Twin Room

cramped room 117 poor lighting, very gloomy lumpy pillows soap dispensers not in reach of bath lukewarm coffee

convenience to Metro station Areeiro and airport. warm blankets for beds modern bathroom with bidet helpful staff

• Reviewed: 8 October 2016

• Double or Twin Room

I requested an early check-in but upon arrival at the hotel, the desk attendant told us we could not check-in early because they don't give rooms away for free. She realized what she said and changed it to, "she didn't think the staff could be prepared in time." I sat upstairs in a dusty area near the hotel's public computer. The room and bathroom furnishings were old and could be modernized. Location is difficult to park car to unload bags... no place to park. Must take your bags up about 4 stairs before you get to an elevator.

Location of this hotel was near a Metro. The patrons seemed older, perhaps that is why the hotel is quiet (which was good).

• Reviewed: 18 September 2016

• Double or Twin Room

The room had a strong bad odor, (septic tank)no way to fix it. We had to open the windows and it did not solved the problem. Floor 4.

Location is great!! Right in front of metro station

Overcharge by Booking.com, I mean the price for a single room inflationed.

Apart of how much I (over)paid for a single room, I do like everything else.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

• Double or Twin Room

Very small rooms, breakfast - even not enought :( cheese and ham and nothing more. If You have no choice ok, but consider something else.

Close to the metro station, 24h reception

• Reviewed: 24 August 2016

• Double or Twin Room

Location was great - close to airport and across the road from the metro. We arrived late at night and left early the next day as it was just somewhere to stay in transit. Our room and bathroom were clean and very acceptable and there was no noise whilst we were there.

• Reviewed: 22 August 2016

Location: just infront of the metro. But not in the center, so you need to use metro or bus if you want to see Lissabon. But still good, quiet and nice.

• Reviewed: 19 July 2016

The først night we had a room close to The elevator. Noisy. Besides the beds were too hard. We did not have breakfast because it looked poor.

The location just av few steps from the metro

• Reviewed: 14 July 2016

Starting with the receptionist. rude. He yelled at me. I left more than 1 hour process to solve my reservation. I switched rooms 4 times. I never saw a bad service like this. Never. Service and Gruesome, pessima bed. rooms without air conditioners. Never see me

Sorry, but I not like anything. I was very badly received

• Reviewed: 12 July 2016

I've had far better breakfasts for less money. The buffet was poor, didn't have variety and was terribly crowded. The room wasn't what we had booked, we asked for double bed and single bed and we got four single beds. Wasn't really an Issue for us but could have been.

The staff was nice and helpful. It is a good deal for the money we paid.

• Reviewed: 5 July 2016

• Double or Twin Room

Small room and only one lift available.

Location is central, right outside you have the metro station. The staff was kind and helpful. Surely, I will be a return customer.

• Reviewed: 29 June 2016

• Double or Twin Room

Just a little basic & no facilities for a early breakfast.

Was a good location for an overnight stopover in Lisbon which is what we used it for. Easy connections on the metro.

Bed was squiky

More choice at breakfast

Place was reasonably quiet

Breakfast was a bit basic. Shower was a bit rubbish, but useable.

Location - it is a stone's throw away from the metro.

The pubic hair and the mold in the bathroom....

The attitude of the staff

Tired property Poorly maintained Filthy carpets Old lumpy mattresses

Metro directly by hotel - convenient for airport and city centre

• Double or Twin Room

Room comftable location great good breakfast

• Double or Twin Room

It's a pity breakfast is not earlier

It's in a good position for the airport and city

See above.

The room was very small, the mattresses we bad and the room was very noisy. The room was not as good as the pictures we say before booking.

room to small

• Double or Twin Room

Great location right in front of a metro station and several bus stops. Close to the airport. Breakfast was simple but good.

There was no slipper

The view

• Double or Twin Room

Overall i like everything no doubt about this place

The privacy and staffs in reception

Maybe use a shower screen instead of a shower curtain. It seemed like it used to be white, and therefore it seemed dirty.

• Double or Twin Room

It was very dated needs a new make over

Location was great and staff where freindly

• Double or Twin Room

nice and easy for everything.

• Double or Twin Room

Shower was a bitt too small the curtains keep on touching you...heheh

Staf was nice, good location.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

Staff, Showered

• Double or Twin Room

The lift seemed to be a bit dodgy :o

The direct access to the metro, local cafés and shops.

Breakfast The room was just alright

Great localization, very nice staff, beautiful staircase

Browse Residencial Lar do Areeiro traveller photo gallery