Reviews of ZARCO RESIDENCIAL - rooms & apartments

Rua Da Alfandega Nº 113, Se, 9000-059 Funchal, Portugal

#29 of 35 B&Bs and Inns in Funchal

• Economy Double Room

Old furniture, not well cleaned from the dust, window to the shared patio, lot of noise from outside and also from other rooms, thin walls, dark room. In the shower door, there were a bit of mould. The hand-basin was not working properly when I arrived (but was fixed, the day after it was ok). On the building the rooms are marked as low cost, which they really are.

Great location. Few minutes from old town, Se, supermarket, promenade... Unbeatable price for breakfast, despite that it is served (2,5 euro for one cup of coffee, glass of juice, two pieces of pastry, butter, marmelade and cheese). One lady was giving the coffee from coffee machine (which was really good), younger one was giving an instant one. Staff was nice.

The crew is absolutely friendly and helpful.
    • Studio

Some of the beds are uncomfortable a bit. We were able to get our paid room only after some interplay, but at the end we got an even better one than the one was booked originally. They solved it fast.

The crew is absolutely friendly and helpful. The location is superb, the ocean and many restaurants/bars are in the vicinity.

Perfect location for a good price.
    • Economy Double Room

- The room is very very dated. It could use at least a coat of paint. In the barthroom there is mould over the shower, which in my opinion should be attended. Clearly it is condensation problem, still it does not give good impressions. Although for the price od €22 for the night, I gritted my teeth and went on. - The bed was awful. I am quite tall so it was too short for me. My feet were just hanging. The mattress was really firm (although I guess it is a matter of preference). - The room was noisy. My room had a window over courtyard area, with the reception directed there as well. So you could hear people talking through the nigt, watching TV or the bell to the property when visitors were coming back. You cannot properly close the window but even if you do it, everything gets through it (them being old ones). - You have only one socket in the room. Thank God I had an extension. Still I was wondering about the safety of the socket, as it was moving.

- Location was perfect. Close to everything. Aerobus stops quite close. Only a short walk and you are at the water, park, cable car, shops and cafés - what more would you want. - For the price having a bathroom was a bonus. Towels changed daily. - The receptionist allowed me to leave my racksack with them so that I did not have to carry it around, and if you know Madeira - there is a lot of ascending. Thanks to them, as I had a flight in the evening, I did not loose a day for sightseeing, which was important since I came to Madeira only for a long weekend.

Mini stay in central Funchal.

There was nothing we disliked but if you hire a car, parking is difficult in such a central location. Not a problem for us as we arrived and departed by taxi.

The lady checking us in was extremely helpful and friendly. She gave us directions to the places we wanted to visit during our very brief stay. The hotel is very central and was an absolute bargain for the price. You really can't go wrong here unless you have unrealistic expectations. It's not a 5 star hotel but neither are the room prices. It's comfortable with an old fashioned charm. It would appear that this hotel was probably a grand house built around a central courtyard. There's a small breakfast for two and a half Euros per person which is more than adequate until you have a more substantial meal later on. We would definitely stay here again and probably will do in the future. Congratulations to the management and staff of this wonderful diamond in central Funchal.

Would not stop in the apartment again .
    • Studio

Kitchen was in wardrobe, doors were hanging off cooking equipment was ancient totally unusable and unacceptable. The microwave was rusty inside, the refrigerator had rust on the bottom of the outside door.. Cigarette burns on blanket and bedspread was torn and badly stained. The baloney was cracked and totally unsafe to use. Building work being carried out from 04.00 opposite the department.

Breakfast was good. Staff were helpful and friendly. Staff member said she had addressed the situation regarding the building work going on, and her boss was going to investigate.

Fair.
    • Studio

The view was as good as the price could predict. The nights during the carnivals were noisy, also was expected . The lack of heating was bad. Also the quality of the kitchen was out of date.

The location, cafes in the ground floor, the cleaning lady every day. Tyhe aerobus is a few hundred meters away on the Avenue the Mar, and the Marina do Funchal. Everything we needed was near.

Beautiful Island , nice sights, nice people, but Been there, seen it , don't think we'll go again
    • Economy Double Room

there was a local bar next door their english good and the food from snacks to meals very good,we were pretty central so getting about was easy, bus trips were expensive ended up hiring a car, but if you don't like heights don't go into the mountains .

I do recommend Zarco Residencial mostly because of location and the friendly staff
    • Economy Double Room

I did not liked a lot the interior space view window - it was sometimes really loud because of reception positioned just under the window, the room was quite dark as no sunshine coming inside. And in fact you cannot keep the window open as the neighbours windows are just in front of yours. Anyway I was awared of that, and the price/location were so tempting... so no complains from my side :-) Enjoy!

Most of all I liked the location - it's hard to imagine something more central than a 20 seconds walk to the embankment in the very center of the city! Second - all the staff were amazingly friendly and helpful. Third - my economy double room (29) had a private shower/WC. I did not order a breakfast - so I cannot evaluate that. What was really very pleasant - a textile branded shopping bag as a welcome gift from the residential :-) Guys, you all were very nice, thank you! P.S. I would have chosen Zarco the next time but DEFINITELY I would have booked a town view room. Think twice before booking a room facing to interior space.

VERY noisy and old place
    • Economy Double Room

VERY noisy, paper-thin walls that don't allow you to rest. The window view was to the interior. The room was very old. Simply: Not worth it.

I fell in love with Funchal and Madeira and it was nice to be warm for a week. I'd go again.

The end of the bed was very close to the wall and there was a hidden protruberance on the corners, on which I banged my shins a couple of times. I had to ask for toilet paper three times, then I bought my own from the convenience store next door. It was rather cold at night, but it was winter, and it was a little noisy outside in the morning, but it is really downtown.

The location is amazing, just meters from the waterfront, next to a convenience store one side and a little bar the other, four doors from a laudromat, six hours from an ATM machine. There is a nice Italian restaurant around the corner. It's two minutes walk from Zona Velha and five minutes walk from the teleferico cable car. It's budget accommodation, but the price was fantastic. I would not recommend it though if you have a car. Parking is very difficult

Excellent location with friendly staff, but noisy with poor facilities.

The shower didn't spray and was somewhat akin to a tap on the wall. The hot and cold were separate and didn't mix, leaving one with the option of either cold or really hot, but never warm. Our rooms only had windows onto the patio, for both ventilation and light. Sadly the acoustics are excellent there and when staff chat to each other it echoes loudly around. As the door to reception is never shut you hear all outside noise and every ring of the doorbell (guests aren't allowed to take keys outside, so must ring when they want to re-enter). That and the lumpy pillows make sleeping nigh on impossible. Also, cleanliness varied from day to day, as did the Wi-Fi, where some days I couldn't even open my e-mail.

The location is perfect - in a little square, with bars and restaurants opposite the fair. The staff are very friendly and helpful and the broken lock was fixed impressively quickly.

Good location for public transportation and...
    • Studio

We booked studio apartment and first room they gave us was very very gloomy. It didn´t even have windows! And the bed was also incredible uncomfortable. As room did not come up as described we complained and they gave us another room after two days which was ok and had windows.

Good location for public transportation and restaurants/shops. Ok minikitchen to make your own food if you happen to be vegetarian and find no food in Madeiran restaurants.

The location was very good of the apartman, but there is not suitable for rest because of the noise.
    • Studio

We were on the first floor and our windows were facing to the street, and it was very noisy. There were two restaurants under our apartman, and every single day they made a lot of noise in the morning. Plus, the room was dark.

The apartman is located in the downtown of Funchal. Everything is very close. It is easy to go back home, if you are walking around the city. It is close to the bus station and to the coast.

The location was great and the view over one of...

We did not like they wanted us to deposit the keys of the room every time we went out at the reception.The floor in the room was all sideways so when you laid on the bed your feet were higher than your head. It was ok for a 1 night stay.

The location was great and the view over one of Funchal's nicests squares was good the little.time we spent at the hotel. Good location for bus to airport.

A welcoming place, would stay again and recommend to those on a budget.

The bed was a bit old and squeaky but was fine for the one night we were there.

Great staff, very thoughtful and helpful. It was clean and comfortable with a nice view.

Value for money but could be better
    • Studio

No air conditioning. Double bed was just to singles pushed together not what I had booked. My window was on the stair case out side my room so everyone that walked up the stairs could see in my room .

In the city. Lots of restaurants and bars at your front door. Very quite. House keeping was always on time every morning with fresh bed sheets and towels.

Cosy
    • Studio

Staff in reseption wouldn't want tell to me, where i can find prepaid SIM card with 1 or 2 weeks internet.Vodafone office maybe???

Sijainti loistava. Jääkaappi.

Central, clean, friendly staff but a little noisy
    • Economy Double Room

As the previous reviews have said, the room was noisy from sounds within the hotel. We overlooked an internal staff area so the chatter around there if you wish an early night or a lie in could be quite loud. There was also little privacy when it came to noise also. I can imagine that the rooms that looked out onto the street were quieter as the cafes and shops outside were closed in the evening. We bought earplugs from the chemist and were not bothered from then on. The bed was very firm which suited my husband perfectly, how it was a little firm for me. The room needed a good lick of paint but that was not important to us either.

The location was amazing! We loved it. It is in the heart of the town, close to the marina, the old town, plenty places to eat and relax. The bus stop for the airport bus was 50 metres from the hotel and cost only 8 euros return. (bus stop 6) The staff were lovely and helpful, and the room was cleaned and smelled fresh every day. We would definitely return.

Great if you don't mind the street noise.

No air conditioning. There was a fan in the room, that seemed not to be working. Very noisy - you hear all the noises from the outside and can't sleep well.

Perfect location. Simple hotel if you just want to stay overnight and rest of the time enjoy the island!

Hotel was too noisy, old-fashioned, there was mould in our shower. Otherwise the staff was friendly
    • Economy Double Room

The hotel was too noisy. We could hear every single word of other guests which was very uncomfortable, especially when our neighbours (a couple) had fun time in bed. The hotel is a bit old-fashioned which wasn't a problem, but there was mould in our shower and it was a problem for us.

Staff was nice, good location in the centre of the city, close to the beach

It's what you expect to be like

It's what you can expect for the money value. Old furniture and equipment, could need some replacement. However, it's been clean overall. Don't underestimate the two or three floors you've got to carry your luggage upstairs...

Location nearby the old city centre. Friendly and helpful staff, providing additional information

Very disappointed
    • Studio

Studios in advertisement looked lovely but ourroom did not feature in any photo and bore no resemblence. .. it was up three flights of stairs no outdoor windows. ..extremely airless. Mattress very hard and lumpy

The stuff that matters was bad

I had 14 days at this place, the only things I wanted was a good bed and a shower... - I am 1.74 m tall and I had to sleep diagonally on this bed to even fit - The mattress was absolutely terrible - The shower is bad. Waterpressure varies greatly, the temperature is sometimes all over the place and if you didn't stop showering after a few minutes the bathroom would be flooded because the drain was blocked. The bathroom sink was also blocked, but this got fixed. - Dark hallways

The staff was great. There was only one socket in my room, which I used for the fan. I asked for more and they gave me.

Perfect location.
    • Economy Double Room

The doorbell that went of at all hours, because guests aren't allowed to leave the hotel with the hotelroom keys. The furniture and bathroom were old. Bad ventilation.

Perfect location. The harbour, bus stops, stores and resturants are just minutes away. Good value for the money.

My stay was a night mare

The noise was so bad could not sleep even brought ear plugs this still didn't work ,the shower lost it water ,the smell from the drains was disgusting in the end enough was enough I asked for a refund which the hotel did for the time I had left ,please find photos attached.

Great residential and in a super location with friendly staff.
    • Economy Double Room

noisy at times with other guests as you could hear everything through the paper thin walls. Toilet- bathroom was quite smelly.

super central location great friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

Good location and staff

The breakfast was everyday the same, but some days you can eat in other place. Our bed was horrible and noisy. The window was heading to middle section of hotel, so you can hear talking from frontdesk.

The hotel is located in the downtown, is also easily reachable by airport bus. The staff is nice and helpful. I would come back again because price/quality was ok.

• Reviewed: 15 March 2017

Good budget choice! Wonderful central location.
    • Economy Double Room

My bed was not particularly comfortable, it needs a new mattress. The breakfast was just barely adequate. It was not appetizing to find two buns in a plastic bag along with only one butter pat, one jam pat and either a slice of processed cheese or ham as they alternated. They also served a glass of juice. Apart from that the service was good, tea/coffee was served red hot immediately by pleasant friendly staff. However had I known I think I would not have ordered that breakfast, it could definitely use some improvement...ie some fruit, cereal, yogourt and the possibility of extra pats of butter and jam.

Wonderful location, convenient to everything, quiet and clean, staff friendly and helpful. Try the little bar/restaurant next door. Great food, excellent prices, best deal in Funchal I am sure. Their luncheon specials can be served right outside in the outdoor circular patio. They seemed very popular as it was well attended daily. There are also other affordably priced and good eateries nearby. You won't have to go far in the evening to find entertainment. Funky boutiques and excellent priced shoe stores are just steps away. The airport bus stops right in front of the hotel. You will need to drag your bag across the road and a few feet to the hotel but it is very doable. I wish I had known! There is a beautiful waterfront promenade a few steps from the hotel, perfect for an enjoyable stroll and the most efficient way to get to the old city which is definitely a "must do". There are also public beaches so if you are going in hot climate bring a bathing suit, there are plenty of places to take a dip.

• Reviewed: 9 March 2017

The hostel is quite simple and oldfashioned but it has it...

The hostel is quite simple and oldfashioned but it has it romance. It is clean, that is the most important thing. I slept really well there. Already booked it for the next time.

• Reviewed: 8 March 2017

Hotel disappointing but location made up for it.
    • Economy Double Room

This hotel does not say that the reception and all the rooms are on the first floor. There was no lift and for people who have difficulties walking upstairs it is a problem. The beds are very low. It is a very tired hotel and a lick of paint would go a long way.

The rooms were cleaned every day and the location in the centre of Funchal was excellent.

• Reviewed: 22 February 2017

Excellent location, good value for money
    • Economy Double Room

Nothing terribly wrong, but obviously there's a reason for such low prices, as in old furniture etc. If you're travelling on a budget and aren't planning on spending much time in the room, then there's no reason why you shouldn't go there.

Location couldn't be better.

• Reviewed: 29 January 2017

Good location - the center of Funchal.
    • Economy Double Room

The window of the rented room was very close to other windows and looked out down by the reception which could not be comfortable in the room and all the time you had to have curtained window. The room was too cold. Unfortunately, the walls can hear everything, even the neighbor snoring. The rooms are also decorated in the old style, definitely they could use renewal, especially the bathroom.

The location is very good - very center of Funchal, so if someone does not need comfort and big room - it is ok (good place to sleep and wash). The rooms are cleaned daily, roughly, the towels are replaced if necessary. Front desk staff are usually very helpful.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2016

Localization in the centre but in quiet street

Very basic breakfast Window on patio where you can hear sounds and ring from the reception

Localization in the centre but in quiet street Kind and helpful staff Good Wifi

• Reviewed: 19 October 2016

Unbeatable Location

This ain't luxury, but great for a local, authentic experience. If your room overlooks the central courtyard prepare for early morning cleaning lady chatter.

Right in the heart of beautiful old Funchal. Incredibly helpful staff. Outstanding Price. Bags of charm. Tip: Pao de Lo snack bar right beneath for breakfast, lunch, dinner & drinks - lowest prices, brilliant food.

I like the way it's organised

No lift

Staff & cleaness

All was great, people, area, location, ambiance, proximity...
    • Studio

All was great, people, area, location, ambiance, proximity to all tourist attractions...

The location is in Funchal center, very convenient for...

The sound isolation is bad

The location is in Funchal center, very convenient for visiting attractions in Funchal. Bus stops are 4-5 minute walk

position in the town

the beds

position in the town

Perfect location.

Perfect location. The staff are very friendly and helpful.

Location, hot water
    • Economy Double Room

Smoking smell in the room

Location, hot water

I like because it was in the hart of the city

The city ant the fod

I like because it was in the hart of the city

Clean dated but great value very good location

Clean dated but great value very good location

Beautiful city, beautiful island, mountains and lovely people.

Location of the Hotel.

Great location and fair price
    • Economy Double Room

Limited access to fresh air in the room, window to the hallway, cleanliness was poor, dirty sheets

Great location and fair price

Good location.
    • Economy Double Room

Bed was not good. It was too short&soft.

Good location.

Close to everything I love it

Close to everything I love it

Terribel bed.
    • Economy Studio

The bed could have been normal sized and silent.

Terribel bed. Too narrow - too noisy.

The price is so good, you have all what you want, from...
    • Studio

The price is so good, you have all what you want, from fridge to micro.. It s an perfect for a trip in family and also single if you want comfort.

Affordable but outdated
    • Economy Double Room

Noisey, electrical wiring hazard, supposed to have double bed but ended up with singles

Exactly what it says on the tin

Bar below loud until 5 am, take ear plugs!

You can’t beat the location!

Excellent location

Nothing to complain about

Excellent location

Be right in the heart of Funchal

everything was ok

Get out of the room and fall direct in the center of the city with everything you need around

Did the job, quite a good value for money.

Bed a bit too small. Bathroom could be cleaner.

Helpful staff. Short response time. Great location.

Perfect location, kind staff, good price.
    • Economy Double Room

Noisy rooms, old furniture and bathroom, lot of stairs.

Perfect location, kind staff, good price.

The bad was too small (I'm 1.

The bad was too small (I'm 1.93 mt tall) :(

Suprise - the kitchen was in the wardrobe, I haven´t seen...
    • Economy Studio

Suprise - the kitchen was in the wardrobe, I haven´t seen sth like this but it was good :).

Everything was OK, except cleaning

just cleaning of the room

Everything was OK, except cleaning

Great location but next time i will stay somewhere else

Its old but you get what you pay for

Very basic studio flat but clean. Very noisy
    • Studio

Good location but very noisy at night didn't get much sleep at all!!!!

Short stay in Funchal
    • Economy Studio

Stayed in an appartment/dependance buildung 2 mts walking from Resid Zarco. Quiet room, fast Wifi. All needs have been there. Daily cleaning.

location, only a few meters far from the airport bus station

location, only a few meters far from the airport bus station

What we expected

Bed too small

Position in town

Value central accommodation
    • Economy Double Room

Strange breakfast in a plastic bag - not good!

Very central - basic accommodation

good value for the money, perfect location just in the centre
    • Economy Double Room

very noisy, only window to the foyer, hard parking with the car

good value for the money, perfect location just in the centre

Very noisy outside during the night

Very noisy outside during the night

• Reviewed: 4 May 2017

Great Location - close to everything

not enough power sockets - only one per room!

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

Good budget stay

All was good for the price.

Very friendly staff. Room was cleaned every day. Excellent location.

Location!

Location! Staff was super friendly!

Parking only available during 8 pm to 8 am. Worked out well for me though

Great location. Parking out front.

Near to the center.
    • Economy Double Room

Maybe breakfast could be different from time to time. lots of stairs.

Near to the center. Nice stuff

• Reviewed: 25 March 2017

Great location, reasonably priced.

Noisy flooring in corridors and building works during stay.

The staff were very friendly and accommodating

No luxury, just authentic

Bathroom in the morning was throwing a weird smell

• Reviewed: 11 February 2017

location was great in city center, available WiFi.

it was quite laud, you need to ring a bell and wait for buzz to come in.

location was great in city center, available WiFi.

• Reviewed: 7 February 2017

The accommodation is exactly as described, budget accommodation.
    • Economy Double Room

The bed could have been more comfortable.

The staff are very friendly and helpful. The building has character.