Reviews of The Lince Azores Great Hotel 4 stars

Av D João III, 29, 9500-310 Ponta Delgada, Portugal

#31 of 38 hotels in Ponta Delgada

• Standard Double or Twin Room

breakfast was a little disappointing. Too many breads, cakes etc. adequate but could have been better

lovely comfortable and friendly hotel. nice and quiet.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Everything feels old-fashioned. Could invest in some renovation.

Friendly personnel at reception. You can taste different types of local cheese at breakfast. Good location, if you are travelling by car.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Nice and clean , great breakfast, close to sea front .hotel staff very friendly especially Arthur from the bar and restaurant a credit to the hotel .

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The room was not that quite,I could easily hear everything what was happening in the neighborhood. The shower curtains were dirty covered with mold,that's why they were stinky. Breakfast was not that good,containing low quality food.

The room looks very cozy,the lightening was very well,the bed was very comfortable

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Would be nice to have a kettle or tea/coffee making facilities in the room. Could be more vegetables at breakfast but it's not a strong side of Portugal at all... Parking space at the hotel - just 3? Not much... fortunately, you can always find something nearby.

local products at breakfast - tea, bananas, pineapple, jams... Fresh products. Big comfortable rooms, big beds, great mattress. Nice breakfast package in case of early leaving. Good location if you do not mind walking to the beach, but by car it's impossible to miss from any direction.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Our booking included a welcome drink but it wasn't provided by the hotel. Really dated room, dirty, smelly and the glass on the window was broken. All this was reported to reception but nothing was done. No SPA, what is available is a cold water swimming pool half inside the building which shouldn't be advertised as SPA. The restaurant is very overpriced, there are a lot of restaurants within a 5-10mins drive which are a lot better and much cheaper This shouldn't be a 4 star hotel.

Location, while not great, wasn't bad.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The temperature of wimming pools were either too hot or too cold!

View was amazing. The bed was huge and so comfortable. Staffs were really nice and friendly. Luis recommended us SaintPedro church and restaurant which were super nice and made a really gorgeous experience.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The spa is disappointing... the swimming pool is not warm enough, the temperature of the space is not as warm as expected and the jacuzzi has a strange smell due to the low usage. Private parking not free.

Breakfast ok and according to the expectations. Walking distance from the center of Ponta Delgada. Public parking always available and easy to find.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Stuff very friendly and helpful. Rooms clean, comfortable and equipped with everything you need. Everyday cleaned. View from big windows absolutely add more value to your stay. Breakfast delicious - hotel is highly recommended.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

No free parking for the guests.

The room was big and had a nice view on the ocean and the city, it was clean, the bathroom was large, the staff was very nice, the swimming pool was rather large (comparing to other hotels), the breakfast was very good.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I got a two beds room because it was cheaper than a one bed room...

The best relation price quality you can find. Good pool indoor, the rooms are big enough and all the staff is very friendly and helpful.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The food was not very tasty, room service is just sandwiches and at the restaurant i was not impressed at all. High price but not worth it. Breakfast it s ok, lot of fruits, eggs and charcuterie. Not so many pastry.

The room was very big, nice view and the bat thube was excellent. Bed was confortable and tv screen very big! I loved the jacuzzi! Perfect place to go with friends or partner.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Poor/ sometimes not working WIFI. I was misinformed about bike rental service. Initially they said that I can rent a bike via hotel in good price (while booking), but upon check-in they only informed me that there are some leaflets on the rack from rental companies. In order to rent a bike, I need to contact those companies and in fact they has much less favourable prices.

good breakfast, nice breakfast room overlooking Ponta Delgada, comfortable bed, good housekeeping.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The Wi-Fi worked only on our arrival day. Since then, we had no Wi-Fi at our room (4th floor). When we called the reception, they told us that they have a server maintenance that day, but I think that they just have really weak WiFi for rooms on upper floors. If you come there, don't expect to have WiFi in your room.

We have really enjoyed the breakfast and the staff is really nice and helpful. There is no need to book a parking space with the hotel, as there was plenty of space nearby the hotel. It takes 15-20 mins of walk to get to the city centre.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The room was really hot and the temperature wouldn’t adjust. The bed was hard and uncomfortable with terrible pillows. I didn’t see any milk/dairy alternative available at breakfast.

The hotel was decent. The room was nice and had a view. I didn’t use the pool but it looked nice too. Breakfast was included.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

There was nothing I didn’t like, seriously. The Azores are stunningly beautiful, but this isn’t the right destination if you are looking for lots of flashy people and action. It’s pretty quiet, which in this crowded world I found most refreshing.

This is a wonderful hotel in a magical place. The staff were superbly friendly and helpful, every person without exception. I am totally astonished that certain previous reviewers are so critical when I found the property and it’s personnel superlative in every way. My room was just beautiful and super, super quiet. It was huge, including the bathroom with a big bathtub, a super comfortable bed, big flat screen TV with lots of stations broadcasting in many languages, and had a gorgeous panoramic view of the sea. The AC worked quietly and great, though I usually just kept my window open day throughout my stay. No, the building isn’t brand new, (probably built in the 70’s) and one can see that the elements, particular the sea and the wind, have worked to wear away some of the luster a brand new luxury hotel might be able to maintain on an island in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean for only a few years at best, but to me that only adds to the hotel’s charm and historicity. The hotel is as immaculate as a hotel could be in the middle of the sea, (again the salty sea air and periodic Atlantic winds and storms will take their toll) and my room was cleaned beautifully every day. Breakfast in the lovely dining room overlooking the pool and views of the sea was always a treat, with a wide variety of delicious dishes and guests from all over the world. The restaurant also serves delicious, reasonably priced dinners. The excellent authentic wooden sauna right beside the gorgeous part indoor and other part outdoor pool was a special treat. (Don’t mistakenly think the sauna is broken when you go down to the pool. You have to let the front desk know 20 minutes or so in advance so they can turn it on and get it warmed up up for you.) And the hotel staff couldn’t be more helpful.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The bed wasn’t as comfortable as I would have liked, but overall that’s not reason to drop my 5 star rating.

This is my third stay at the Lince and will stay every time I visit. The hotel is clean and room gets serviced every morning, the breakfast is plentiful and delicious. The staff is helpful and friendly, one morning I wanted a specific coffee from the bar who were closed, I approached the gentleman at the desk and he got someone to help me and get my coffee. He went above and beyond to satisfy my need. Two blocks up is a couple of bakeries also very good. We stayed for 13 nights and every so often needed a change. It’s about 10 min walk to the city center, so much to see and do and I would recommend the Lince to anyone who’s traveling to aponta Delgada and is looking for a clean friendly hotel.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

I didn't take breakfast but wanted to eat dinner à la carte (usually there's a buffet). The main dish (fish and potatoes) wasn't good.

I had a beautiful, clean and spacious room on the 6th floor. It was good value. There's free parking space in the streets. Staff at the reception was helpful.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Let's see first of all nobody likes lumpy pillows , the mattress way too SOFT. Bathroom floor was not washed in the two weeks we stayed. The bathroom smelled of urine, when we got there. Breakfast was ok if you love cheese and fruit they served pancakes but no syrup scrambled eggs everyday bacon that was rubbery and lots grease one gets tired of eating the same thing all the time . Price point we paid way too much for what we got .

The staff was very helpful tried very hard to make your stay as good as possiable

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Swimming pool univiting and too small for size of hotel and the 'gardens' advertised disappointing

Large comfy bedroom and bed after travelling

• Standard Double or Twin Room

As an English person who loves her tea, I would have expected tea and coffee facility in the room. The Spa area could be warmed up with some plants, pictures, aromatherapy.

Attentive staff. I found chocolate birthday cake waiting for me on my return to my room which I thought was very nice. They offer you a complementary drink on arrival which is a nice touch. It was situated not very far from the town centre.

• Reviewed: 29 December 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Reception team could be nicer to guests and try to use a smile. You could only get an extra towel a day wich makes it a bit short, specially if you're all day out at the natural hot springs and back at the hotels spa again at the end of the day. Sauna maintainance is poor. The sauna lacks a timer, and it's temperature never exceeds 60 celsius. With guests going in and and out, it makes it hard to have a real feel of a regular sauna temperature ( at least 65/70 celsius). The jacuzzi water could be changed more often.

Comfort , cleanliness, location. Breakfast.

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Staff were rude when asked to correct a mistake with our rooms. We booked two rooms, one double and one twin, and they gave us two doubles. Small gym. Pool is not indoor.

Good breakfast. Nice rooms.

• Reviewed: 28 September 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

One evening we had dinner in the restaurant opting for the a-la-carte rather than than the buffet thinking it would be a better choice. Unfortunately we were very disappointed. I had the duck which was so overcooked or old (or both) that I couldn't cut it with my knife! My friend chose the fish. This was chewy, dry & lacked flavour. When we asked the waitress if it was frozen she confirmed that it was the case. Very sad that we were in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean & a large busy hotel cannot serve fresh fish! The pool area could also do with an update and like the reviews mentioned, the pillows are still lumpy!

Staff were very attentive and helpful. Breakfast was very good with a variety of options offered. Free parking also available.

• Reviewed: 10 September 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

There was no way to get a decent coffee (cappuccino or gallao) for the breakfast. The offered coffee was just terrible. The breakfast itself was rich in variation and quite good.

The room was nice, we had a nice view as well. The air-condition was really quiete!

• Reviewed: 25 August 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Pool area was shoddy and run down. It was a 20 minute walk from town in a mainly residential area.

Nice ambiance. Helpful and p,radiant staff. Comfortable and clean room.

• Reviewed: 3 August 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

There was no access to an iron (would be useful considering clothes were packed tightly in my luggage and the clothing got a bit wrinkled) and the phone was disconnected in the room, making it difficult to order room service.

Very clean and comfortable, I enjoyed the free breakfast in the morning it was very good and there was plenty to pick from. They had the food set out buffet style.

• Reviewed: 29 July 2016

• Double Room with Ocean View with Romantic Package

The other guests. I found the vast majority of them to be aggressive, rude, and inconsiderate. This was especially apparent in the buffets where they were obnoxious and almost belligerent of hotel staff. It again speaks to the quality of the hotel staff that all remained polite, courteous, and eager to help.

Bed was comfortable, room was clean, and breakfast was excellent (LOVED that primarily local food stuff were used!). We had booked the romance package as we stayed here for the last night of our honeymoon and all hotel staff went way above an beyond what I would have expected - they are AMAZING and made us feel extremely special. The staff truly are what makes this hotel stand out.

• Reviewed: 18 July 2016

• Family Room

The pool area, landscaping and grounds were very disappointing. The front glass on the building was dirty that you couldn't see outside. The bar service is slow and limited. There is no sundries available at the hotel.

The staff was friendly, helpful and accommodating. You can't beat the free breakfast! The rooms were clean with great view.

• Reviewed: 28 June 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Very bad experience with the staff : 1) when I registered, they asked me to pay the room in advance : extremely rare situation !! (although they had my card number thru my Booking.com reservation) 2) Even worse : although I signed my dinner bill, somebody came 30 mn afterwards to my room and asked me to pay the dinner immediately, arguing they had no print of my card I must add that the dinner was a buffet and that the quality of this buffet was absolutely awful I would not recommend at all this hotel

Nothing : poor location extremely bad food bad welcome

• Reviewed: 22 June 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The lifts were a problem. Only one lift was working and at busy times we had to wait ten minutes. Being on the 6th floor we couldn't walk down.

Lovely room and spacious bathroom. Quiet position and lovely views. Breakfast was good and varied.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Tea and coffee facilities in the room would have been welcome

Bed very comfortable. Bar staff friendly Receptionists extremely helpful.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

No shampoo or conditioner. Staff up front was busy on his cell phone and I felt like I was bothering him

AC

Pillows to small And lumpy

Fab location nice rooms loverly place

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Breakfast could be a bit more abundant in options

Very clean and comfortable. The view was nice too

• Standard Double or Twin Room

coffee/tea facilities in the room would be nice Pool was cold Hotel decor a little run down

Everything was perfect

Amazing hotel amazing staff they couldn’t do more for us!!

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Pool area was dirty and smelly. Damaged wood equipment in the room. Room was smelling strange like old dust.

The price.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Very good breakfast. Good, but small wellness area. It is cheaper even a hostel.

No Wi-Fi for free

The room was big.

Staff

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Wake-up call never came, location a bit outside downtown but not a big thing.

Competitive price, pleasant staff and good service.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The twin room has large beds(almost King Size) each and it‘s quite big.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

The bed mattress wasn’t the most comfortable.

Decent breakfast offering. Professional staff Good location

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Location, service, value for money.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

Very poor WiFi - unusable at times

Good value and spacious rooms. Great breakfast.

• Standard Double or Twin Room

breakfast didn't have chocolate croissants, a must all around the world

the bed was really comfy

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Very cheap and terrible pillows

Very friendly staff

It is in area 20 minutes walking far from the center

Very New hotel,clean.staff very competent

• Reviewed: 12 March 2017

• Standard Double or Twin Room

very nice room, super clean, huge breakfast buffet with fresh fruit, vegetables and juices

• Reviewed: 21 January 2017

Nothing not to like!

Everything was excellent as always!

• Standard Double or Twin Room

It was clean and very nice, just perfect for our last night before an extremely early flight back home.

• Reviewed: 13 August 2016

• Standard Double or Twin Room

Swimming pool always out of order. High price for the dog.

Friendly staff. Nice hotel. Located a bit away from the Marina but ok.

• Reviewed: 14 January 2016

There was no shampoo or conditioner!! Also when I booked, I booked the room I figured it was considered double occupancy, when I got there they said I had booked single of course I had to pay more!!

Breakfast was good!

• Reviewed: 10 January 2016

Sometimes there was a problem with internet conection in the room.

Very comfortable hotel close to the city center and shops. Good breakfast. Big car park for free.

• Reviewed: 25 December 2015

The prices of the resterant. 2 egg and hotdog omlettes from kids menu and 1 glass of juice 18€ very expensive. That cant order food into the room from outside.

Friendly and comfortable love the kids room.

• Reviewed: 29 November 2015

You have heard it before - pillows could be better, certainly better than Lince Funchal but not great. No fridge and no tea/coffee making facilities.

Good sized room, quiet. Good breakfast buffet plenty of choice.

• Reviewed: 10 November 2015

the hotel has emergency exit doors, which are not signed as it. If you go through them, you will become locked, as you cannot return to the hotel. The hotel does not credit miles to the SATA frequent flyer card (SATA Imagine) unless if you book the stay direct with the hotel.

The facilities and breakfast buffet.

• Reviewed: 21 October 2015

Hot tub was out of order and pool area would need sprucing up. Need a proper toaster in breakfast restaurant the present one only dries bread out and does not toast. More comfortable pillows needed and wider mattress sheets that secure properly.

Alvaro at front desk was very pleasant as well as, restaurant staff. Location was good, close to town (15 min walk) and close to large grocery store (10 min walk). Window opens which let in fresh air but air conditioning worked very well also. Very bright and cheery because of all the windows throughout hotel. A good size room with neutral colors and nicely furnished with plenty of surfaces and storage.

• Reviewed: 18 October 2015

The bathrooms in the lobby were smelly.

The location was good and central to to downtown with a 10 min walk. Breakfeast was good but a always the same menu

• Reviewed: 28 August 2015

Only the cleaness is not in the hotel level. In some rooms it smelled not so good. Limited breakfast at only a few products.

The building it appeared quit new, The rooms are large, the furniture is very functional, bathrooms ok. Good beds! 15 minutes walking from the city centre.

• Reviewed: 18 August 2015

Disappointed with spa facility. Sauna and jacuzzi were completely out of order. Swimming pool water was quite cool even half of the pool is indoor.

Room is clean and good selection of breakfast buffet. Big and comfort lobby.

• Reviewed: 16 August 2015

Room's wi fi is very slow and sometimes with no connection. Not a real power shower as I like but it was fine. No ironning facilities on the room

The staff is really helpuf and kind. the facilities are very good for instance: computer with printer and good internet speed on computers areas

• Reviewed: 9 August 2015

In future when guest is not from Europe they should be informed when the check in that you need to insert your room card in slot to make lights and air conditioning to work.

No comment

• Reviewed: 6 August 2015

Poor quality mattresses and pillows, thin walls: you hear everything: people walking and chatting in the corridor, the guests next door.

Modern and clean rooms, breakfast, helpful staff, easy access from the highway and within walking distance of the old town and the marina

• Reviewed: 25 July 2015

The hotel wasn't in the best part of the city, especially if you expect to be out walking at night. We were out walking around 10 pm (our bodies were still on US time) and didn't feel safe. The wifi was terrible. The hotel staff said that they had a new system and it crashes quite often. Most of the time we could not get wifi in our room or in the lobby.

The hotel was clean and there was free parking in the parking garage below the hotel. There were many choices at breakfast, including fresh juices and local cheeses. The hotel was walking distance from the marina, downtown, and a grocery store.

• Reviewed: 15 July 2015

Espaço da piscina interior pequeno, embora com horário de funcionamento alargado o que convida a um mergulho após termino do dia.

Simpatia de todos os funcionários. Boa localização geografica.

• Reviewed: 14 July 2015

I had €250 taken from the room safe by an unknown person. It is still under investigation but so far I am awaiting a reply as to how this occurred.

Staff very friendly and helpful. Room very comfortable and clean.

• Reviewed: 12 July 2015

Food was a bit average and bed lacked proper under sheets.

General demeanour was excellent all you could want in that grade of hotel. Staff were all very nice and friendly except reception where they were a little stuffy.

• Reviewed: 16 June 2015

Clean, open, modern hotel, located within a few minutes drive to the center of Ponta Delgada. Pleasant spacious room; the bed was reasonably comfortable although the pillows were not. There was good (free) wi-fi in the room. We had sea view but the rooms on the western side, towards the city, may have a better view. Buffet breakfast was good although juices artificial. Try the island's tea! Dogs are accepted for a fee. There is a small spa (massage area, hair salon) and a good-sized swimming-pool which is half-in half-out of the building into a small garden. There is also a free private garage.

• Reviewed: 15 June 2015

No bad experience at all...just a bit far out from the town centre and nothing at all around the hotel. Better location hotels to be had.

Breakfast excellent...local produce all round loved it...Rooms excellent. Free Parking brilliant directly under the hotel.

• Reviewed: 5 May 2015

- wifi was useless in most parts of the hotel - pillows were tired and of very very poor quality - pool was too cold - AC didnt seem to do anything and some what ironically the room temp rose when AC was on!

Breakfast was very good, room size of family room was like a typical north American double queen size, staff were very helpful

• Reviewed: 12 March 2015

Room not well cleaned. Bed not comfortable. Swimming pool is too small. No spa facilities, the massage is done by an outsorcer that needs to be booked in advance, plus, no info on prices.

Great breakfast.spacious room.

• Reviewed: 18 February 2015

1. Requires about 10 minute walk to downtown and/or marina - there are other hotels closer to those places. 2. Minibar - In most hotels you can use it as a fridge for your own food and drinks. Here however you are automatically charged for any removed item. You can tell them to empty it and then you'll be able to use it as a fridge, but it will cost you 2.50 EUR per day.

1. Clean, comfortable room. 2. Helpful staff (they helped me with car rental). 3. Free parking garage. 4. Good breakfast.

There are also 30 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.

Browse The Lince Azores Great Hotel traveller photo gallery