Reviews of Vila Gale Opera 4 stars

Travessa Conde da Ponte, Alcântara, 1300-141 Lisbon, Portugal

#230 of 329 hotels in Lisbon

The reception staff during check-in does not behave like willing to help. First she said the room is not ready and when I asked when I can expect room I received twice the same answer - rooms are available officially from 2 p.m. I asked for the third time and the lady called cleaning service and it occurred that the room was ready. The room is not very new. Some renovation should be done.

Comfortable location, close to Congress Centre.

• Superior Twin Room

Two twin began with two duvets. For an unknown reason, one duvet was replaced by a heavy quilt and a top sheet after housekeeping svc.

Breakfast buffet had a nice variety that was always fresh and good quality; hours up to 10:30 convenient. All the staff were knowledgeable and helpful for directions, making reservations, etc. After discovering my wallet was "pick-pocketed" during a tram ride, I asked for advice from the evening manager. He explained about the tourist police station and gave me a handout for going there the next morning.

Outside area was not very pleasant and rather than being near the water is was under and next to a major road

Buffet dinner was nice, staff were very friendly and helpful

• Twin Room with Extra Bed (2 Adults + 1 Child)

No double beds. All the rooms are identical and if you are travelling with business partner or sharing the room with a friend there is no bedside table dividing the two beds.

Relatively quiet and clean. Level of staff efficiency very uneven. Some of them are quite efficient, but fussy. The less fussy ones are generally slow. Breakfast was great.

• Twin Room with Extra Bed (3 Adults)

There was lots of noise from the bridge next to the hotel which was annoying at times.

Beds were comfortable and location was a plus as it was very close to the conference center. Not so far from city center.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

What they call a restaurant is a meer train station cafeteria. With the noise that goes with it and an incompetent staff. Food was below average and morning coffee orrendous. To complete the lack of comfort comes the bridge just over the hotel, where car traffic along with trains do not help your sleep at all.

The room was spacious and comfortable. Reception staff competent and available.

• Twin Room with Extra Bed (2 Adults + 1 Child)

For the money that we pay, there was no breakfast included :( The walls of the room were super dirty with several stains spread out. Not nice. The flush in the toilet jammed and I had to fix it. Again for the amount of money that they charge being Vila Gale a renowned chain of hotels in Portugal we expected more. Also Being Lisbon the capital it is practically impossible to park the car, we had to pay an extra fee to park the car in the hotel garage, that was pretty much empty.

The location is the best part. super close to Lx Factory and other restaurants.

I tried to book the spa on Sunday for Monday but was unsuccessful, poor booking system. The girl in the Leisure Club started to call around the therapists via mobile and said she would confirm after 5 pm , which she didn't so I was completely in the dark. At check-out we were going to be charged for drinks we had in the bar the night before which we paid for in cash (& left a tip), the signature on the voucher was not ours. The funny thing was we never gave the bar tender our room number.

Location was perfect

• Twin Room with Extra Bed (2 Adults + 1 Child)

A more lively lobby scene. It was too quiet there to hang out at the lounge.

Friendly staff, the rooms were comfortable, well appointed and cleaned daily to satisfaction. My only quibble was that there was a very slippery shower floor and I nearly fell out. Otherwise, all was very good. Thanks!

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Pillows. Too hard for me.

New, nice and clean hotel right in the riverfront where you could easily drive (or uber) everywhere in the city. Very good breakfast with plenty of selection. Amazing views of the river and bridge. Underground Parking at 7.5€ a day is cheap.

Wi fi - was on and off most of the times Bed - it was a bit harder and I had to ask for a soft pillow and the ones that were in the bed were not good. The cleaner knocked to my room at 9 am on the day of the check out! This should be avoided. Some noise from the bridge near by.

• Superior Twin Room

No tea and coffee in the room.

Friendly and helpful staff. Room very clean, comfortable bed. Very good breakfast. Very close to conference centre. Under a huge and famous bridge - no road noise and good landmark! Room service also good.

Far from city center, creaking floor in the room, would be good to have a kettle and coffee in the room.

Clean room, very good breakfast, friendly staff

The room was a little small but overall very comfortable

Very good breakfast selection. I am diabetic and finding the right food from the breakfast buffet was very easy.

The breakfast was quite hectic. It was first difficult to find a table, as the waiters/waitresses were busy clearing the old dishes away.

The room was relatively quiet and the hotel very conveniently next to the conference venue!

• Twin Room with Extra Bed (2 Adults + 1 Child)

The hotel is basic, less then a 3-starts IBIS-like hotel. I asked for a high floor room but I had to change the room due an auwful smell and they gave me the last room in the first floor, in a corner, facing the garage. There is this smell in the hotel that they explain that was due the fact the hotel is near the river. I didn’t like.

Location is very good for those attending meetings at the conference center of Lisbon. The hotel is just fair.

The little young lady at the reception with dark glasses, is terribly rude, annoying and unfriendly. I've stayed before at Vila Gale Opera many times and the staff was always friendly and kind. The little lady decided to put me probably in the worst bedroom of the hotel above the garages on first floor, when that never happened before in all the times I've spent in this hotel. This time, my stay was awful. I've been suggesting the Vila Gale Opera hotel to hundreds if not thousands of people who go to conferences at the Congress Center that I help to organize many times. With this latest experience I will consider if I will keep doing that.

The sound of the bridge as always.

• Superior Twin Room

Rooms and interior facilities very old, train passing very close so a bit noisy at night.

Position good for the CCL if going for a congress; dock with good restaurants is nearby and very close also the LX Factory, lovely area for nice food and local artists.

• Superior Twin Room

I requested a quiet room. I was assigned a room right next to the elevators and with some very noisy neighbors right next door, who kept me up until 3am even after getting a call from hotel security. My further attempts to reach hotel security were thwarted with unanswered phones. I just needed a good night's rest in this hotel and did not get it. Also, there's no room service, and the restaurant is not open during certain hours - tough if you're hungry. I cannot recommend this place to anyone.

It was the only hotel available on my dates with a decent rate.

The noise of the trains, traffic, planes is very loud from 5am to midnight. Do not expect a good night's sleep. Breakfast is chaotic and poor quality.

• Superior Twin Room

Cleanliness of room. Helpfulness of reception staff and they could have been more pleasant

Smell of drains in room. Very noisy. Some of the reception staff were not very friendly or helpful. Restaurant staff were lovely

• Twin Room with Extra Bed (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Only 2 small lifts for big hotel, and one day we were on walk about 5 hours but number wasn't cleared. The cleaner came when we wanted to have a rest after excursion. Next day everything were ok.

Breakfast was good, there are a lot of good restaurants nearby and the view were ok. It is located near Belem area so you can visit it easeally.

A little too far from downtown Lisbon. You need to catch a taxi there but only about €6-8. A 30 min walk to the Explorers monument along the river which was pleasant.

Excellent breakfast and parking was easy. Room was comfortable and large.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

I like having coffee/tea making facilities in the room. This is normal/standard in every hotel in the uk but doesn't seem to be in Portugal, or Europe for that matter.

Breakfast was good. The kids enjoyed using the pool and the pool table. It was walkable to the time out markets (although a long walk). Nice and clean. As our kids are young we were able to get adjoining rooms which was great! And there was free wifi.

A bit far away from city centre, although it's well communicated by bus and tram, most of the time is lost travelling. Swimming pool should be outside in summer season.

The breakfast and dinner were good, not bad for a buffet. Spacious room, but I would've preferred non carpet floor. Small gym is well equipped. Nice common areas. Family and kids friendly.

• Reviewed: 19 August 2017

Hotel's own services app was poor and caused confusion with booking extras.

Staff friendly and helpful. Good decor, clean and well maintained. Nice places to go out and eat nearby.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

The pool is awful. It's like an hermetically sealed chemical dip. The children hated it.

The staff were extremely friendly and professional. The hotel was well-maintained, clean and quiet.

• Twin Room with Extra Bed (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Coffee kettle was not free and not included in the price.

The hotel is at a very good location, rooms are good, clean with excellent housekeeping and the breakfast spread is very nice.

• Twin Room with Extra Bed (3 Adults)

Not many areas for guests to relax. Pool and fitness suite closed during hours people are in the hotel and open when people are out exploring Lisbon. These facilities should stay open and close later and open earlier. Basic sanitary items such as toilet rolls and tissues were not re-stocked during our stay... it would have also have been nice to have included further wash toiletries for guests. Wifi conmection was very poor. Food choice at the hotel bar and restaurant is quite limited. For a 4star hotel we felt it was quite basic service and expected more compared to other hotels and for what we paid for.

The pool was a great bonus to have in the hotel during the summer weather. Overall rooms were kept efficiently clean.

The information for the hotel listed certain things that THIS particular location did not have which was kind of a bummer. Neighborhood was a little sketchy until we walked around a bit.

I loved that the room looked just like the pictures. It was spacious and the bathroom was nice. the lobby, bar, and outside area was VERY nice and up to date.

• Twin Room with Extra Bed (2 Adults + 1 Child)

It is relatively far from conventional restaurants and cafes but very close to LX Factory with very nice cafes and restaurants. The centre of the city and Belem is easily reachable by public transport (although this can be a little bit tricky sometimes). We stayed for 1 night at the end of our trip and we travelled with a 2-year-old child so we mainly used the swimming pool, which was great.

Being near on the sea side, they don't have a curtesy room for people that have to check out at 12:00 but go to airport late in the evening. I was not expecting from the rooms cleaner to ask me if I wanted my room to be cleaned, is that a question? Of course I want it to be cleaned...Weird!

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

The style is a bit older and the price a little overrated.

The location is very good and it has a good breakfast. The swimming pool is good and is included (no taxes added)

• Twin Room with Extra Bed (2 Adults + 1 Child)

It was my husband's birthday and I called and requested the Hotel staff 2-3 days before reaching there to arrange for a cake and to decorate the room. The hotel staff said it was not possible. I was disappointed since I told them that I am ready to pay any amount if they can help me with this. But they did not agree. Afterwards, I thought of sending an email to the hotel and then I got an appreciative offer of giving us a bottle of wine and some fruits coated with chocolate, a small cake for the baby and few gums. They offered this to me free of charge. So, I was really happy with this. As soon as we reached the hotel, they sent all this to our room. I really appreciate this.

Could include breakfast at that price.

Very good hotel. Comfortable rooms. Easy access to public transport to the city center. Beautiful place close to the sea.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Airco was not working (according to technician no gas in the airco). Temperatures too high to sleep & I have a problem breathing in warm closed rooms (due to noise of the bridge you can't open the windows). After insisting for another room, I was given a room with working airco. Thanks for the other room, but I lost 1 hour sleep due to this problem (out of 6 hours sleep scheduled...).

Breakfast was ok.

We reached the hotel at 1 pm and after the reception took the scan of our passports and credit cards told us that the rooms were not ready and would take 1 hour. We explained to them that we had taken very long flights to reach there and were extremely tired. They said no rooms were ready and we would have to wait. So we said we would wait in the lobby. To our surprise after us at least 20 check-ins were done and all the people were allocated rooms while we kept waiting. I then checked with the staff and they gave the reason that the room categories were different for all the people who arrived after us. I was not convinced so I checked with the house keeping staff later and all the check-ins were for the same category of rooms. I was very disappointed. The only reason I see for this is either booking.com is not their preferred mode for reservations or then they are profiling people from Asia, us being from India. Anycase, no more Vila Gale for us and we will think a little before using booking.com also.

Unfortunately to get to the harbour you have to cross 5 lanes of roadway and 5 rail tracks [The pedestrian bridge being about 1/2 mile up the road - However, we soon got used to being directly under the main suspension bridge and Flight path. The initial noise may put some people off but we had a great time. One other problem to watch is they over charged me by 216 euros and although they admitted the error could not / would not immediately put it back on my card and at this time of writing I am still waiting for them to reimburse my card.

Good buffet breakfast and the food in the restaurant was very good well worth a visit - Local buses and trams just behind the hotel made it a good location.

• Reviewed: 9 June 2017

• Superior Twin Room

The hotel is not central and in an deserted area. Hardly any bars and cafes in the neighbourhood. The food on the dinner buffet was cold, only very limited selection and not tasty. Breakfast was also disappointing.

The view from the rooms - but for how long will you look out of the window!?

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

• Junior Suite (3 Adults)

The room was not ready when we arrived and they had to rush cleaning the room to get us checked-in.

Comfortable bed, lovely view of Ponte 25 de Abril and Rio Tejo from the room window, ample of choices for breakfast, beautiful evening entertainment and most importantly, very helpful reception staff. Evening receptionist helped us book another room for the next day to accommodate our late minute travel changes and he also arranged for a very early breakfast for us without any hussle.

• Reviewed: 10 May 2017

The restrictions for kids in the pool. What was said on the website didn't come through at the location. Kids were not allowed after 5-6 pm in the pool. Still it was loads of kids making noise, jumping in the pool etc at/after this time. Disturbing the peace and time for relaxation.

• Reviewed: 4 May 2017

• Superior Twin Room

Every single room in hotel is without terace or balkon. The view on the bridge and the Christo Rei is great, and the belem is near by, but the bad side of location is that their is no metro station in that area, you can use only bus or tramway, station is near. In my transfer option question to the hotel, i got the answer with public transport schedual and info that taxi schould not cost more than 15-20 euro, actualy it was 35 euros on the end. Safety box is paid 2.5 eur per day, to hotel of this look and apirence it schould be free.

Great staff, nice pool and spa, great breakfast, very clean, beautifull hotel. About mentioned noise from the bridge, we did not hear anything, but i have to tell that we were on the other side of the hotel without view on the bridge.

• Twin Room with Extra Bed (2 Adults + 1 Child)

The reception staff were despondent. A quick lesson on communication skills wouldn't go astray. A smile and "Welcome to our hotel and enjoy your stay! " would be nice. We're on holidays!! A tip for manegement... Ask the lady who looks after the pool how to deal with customers, she was so welcoming and great to deal with. Our bedroom had a nasty odour in it, like the previous occupents smoked or something and it's not possible to open a window. Location wise, it's a taxi ride to anywhere really. About €7/8 to the city and the same to Belem. The Docas area ( resturants & Irish pub ) is located across a busy and noisy road/railway track. If walking it takes about 15 minutes across a bridge up the road. The hotel is located under a noisy bridge/rail way track and also under the flightpath for every plane landing at the airport. However, once inside the hotel most noise can't be heard. We went to the evening buffet on the first night. I think it cost around €25 per person. A large variety of food was available, but taste wise pretty forgettable. Lisbon is beautiful, but the harrasment from people trying to get you into their resturants in the city becomes a real pain....

Not expensive. Good amount of English speaking tv channels.

• Reviewed: 21 April 2017

Coffe at breakfast was sad, hard to tell whether I had tea or coffe....

Standard Vila Gale, clean and professional. Interesting area in Alcantra, just across the street from Docas - close to LX Factory and walking distance to Palacio de Ajuda (probably the 2 most interesting sights in Lisbon).

• Reviewed: 21 April 2017

• Superior Twin Room

The reception staff need to ratchet up the customer service levels, in fact the housekeeping staff could show them how it is done. Trying to get tourist information was difficult. We just gave up on the reception staff on our second day. Luckily there is a great little bar just around the corner, Lutador I think it is called and they were really helpful, told us everything we needed to know. We ate breakfast there more days and even had dinner there one evening, food is very good, recommend it)

The housekeeping staff were always cheerful and helpful.

• Twin Room with Extra Bed (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Staff weren't that friendly, would not change our twin beds to double even though I had requested this. The room smelt really bad due to poor ventilation glad was only there for one night.

Breakfast was OK. Not too far to city centre.

• Reviewed: 9 April 2017

A somewhat richer breakfast would jack the rating (mine that is) up considerably.

Location on bank of the Tagus is great for walks along the river, to reconoitre Belém and Alcantara, the LX Factory and the trendy eateries on the docks.

• Superior Twin Room

Some distance to city center 4,5 km (Taxi 10€). Lock was missing in rooms safety box. Restaurant quite noisy when there are many people.

Very near to congress center only a short walk. Nice quiet and spacious room. Friendly and service minded staff. Very good breakfast selection in large restaurant with efficient staff. WiFi was good in all locations of hotel.

If I was a tourist, I would have liked to have been closer to the town centre. A little bit expensive compared to other cities

Lovely hotel, close to my meeting location. In a pretty part of Lisbon

• Reviewed: 12 March 2017

The service and place is good. It has all the facilities you may require. Well located. It has entertainment near the bar at night which is truly Opera.

• Reviewed: 12 February 2017

The location is next to the bridge, so coming across the river seemed to be easy, but it is not - the taxi has to drive back to the city to climb to the bridge.

The hotel is at a nice location on the river/coast, city centre is easily accessible by tram.

• Reviewed: 12 October 2016

Airconditioning would not go below 25 degrees, which was very uncomfortable and hard to sleep in. Wifi fully open, hence fully unsafe.

Liked getting my eggs fried to order at breakfast. A bit of river view from the room.

• Reviewed: 8 October 2016

Breakfast only from 0700, by 0730 no tables left. Quite noisy - both from busy bridge overhead of the hotel, from the railtracks 30 meter from the hotel and from the coughing from the next door room, waking one up. Rooms were available only from noon, which is ok, but not the impolite response from the front desk ( I had been traveling since 0300 and didnt need to be lectured because of a simple question) On outskirts on town, not walking distance, but taxis are cheap. Not an entertaining neighborhood.

Very close to congress center. Nice big rooms. Pleasant bed. All amenities. Air condition though noisy. Plenty of hot milk at breakfast table.

The staff was reluctant to speak any more word than necessary, felt more like in a government office :D It is very near the bridge and a little bit noisy. Facilities are relatively old.

Old furniture and ceramic, bad cleaning, fees for all - safe, iron etc. No robe and slippers, very few bath features (half lux!). No kettle. Poor breakfast, water was only provided once.

Place is very close to congress center

• Reviewed: 8 September 2016

Room size, Front desk service, one person in the front desk on arrival, no help with luggage, didn't find my name until I showed them my paper reaervation

Parking, wifi

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

The wifi could have been smoother. Better signposting for the sauna too, since I didn't realise it was there until too late in my stay.

Incredibly accommodating. Issues with my flight (due to a strike) meant that I was advised to get to the airport early, resulting in missing the start of breakfast I had paid for every morning. The staff arranged to open breakfast (albeit without the cooked options) over an hour early.

• Reviewed: 3 August 2016

Prices too high for the offered conditions (we only accepted the price because we knew it was weekend and there was a music festival nearby, so every option was overpriced). They obviously took advantage of this. They gave us a room with connection to next side room (normally just for families). The main problem is that there is absolutely no sound barrier and we could listen word by word everything from our "neighbors". There was only one towel in the room and we asked second towel in reception, which never came... Absolutely no attention to costumer. Just profit, profit, profit...

The only good thing is the location (and only if you do not want to stay in city center!).

• Reviewed: 12 July 2016

The only people who wished to be there less the guests were the staff who were sullen to downright rude. Have to pay €2.50 a night for use of the room safe. Which I have never heard of before. Had to ring down repeatedly to get the lock and key. No sleep over all 5 nights as rooms paper thin and doors close like a sonic boom. 4 sun chairs in a postage stamps forecourt.

Precious little. Probably OK for business for 1 or 2 nights. Unless you plan to sleep.

• Reviewed: 6 July 2016

The staff had not taken into account the extras offered by booking.com and tried to charge for the mini bar, fruit etc

We have used vila gale before at other locations

• Reviewed: 2 July 2016

Quit place .I ask for kettle and coffee and they provide it . 5 min by car to centre cultural De balem . nearest supermarket 10 -15 min walking from hotel .The staff help us to arrange our tour on the city . Very helpful staff .They speak good English .

The coffe is terrible at breakfast.

Nice reception area with friendly staff and clean facility.

• Superior Twin Room

Bed was uncomfortable w/cables/wires.

Bed

Too expensive

Location pleasant

Was happy with everything 👍🏽

Staff were very friendly and helpful

No it's great...

The view... Near the river...

All good

• Superior Twin Room

The reception was not very friendly

There should be 220v electric plugs near the bed.

Good location for my porpuse.

Bar no saguão

Quality of the meals.

Hotel location - close to the conference center.

• Superior Twin Room

Small fitness and very warm

Nice, spacious room, very comfortable bed, clean and modern hotel

recommended

Some Lack of maintenance on furniture, sounds isolation to outside and between rooms.

View, parking, hall