Reviews of Herzen House 3 stars

Ulitsa Bolshaya Morskaya 25, Admiralteyskiy, 190000 Saint Petersburg, Russia

#204 of 961 hotels in Saint Petersburg

• Standard Room

Should have stayed longer!

Excelent location! Close to all major sights. Many 24/7 shops around. Metro station is very close - Admiraleyskaya. Hotel was very well heated, felt like home! The room was clean and cozy. The breakfast was very good and plenty of variety. Friendly and helpful staff!!!

• Comfort Room

Breakfast was more than awful (even in comparison with the really bad russian cuisine). WiFi was not strong enough to reach our room Only one single power plug in the room, of course not close to bed The heating was extreme, we could switch off one heater but the other not. When we asked the hotel to switch the second heater, they didn't help and proposed to switch on the aircondition in cooler mode (January in St Petersburg)!!! We kept sweating through the night, every night. Staff (except one) did not speak any or just broken english (as did most Russian staff in restaurants, cafes, metro stations, museums etc) Totally NOT worth the money we paid

Location is great, just around the corner to the centre There was a complimentary bottle of cheap champagne waiting us on New Year's Eve

• Standard Room

There was toooooo hooot in the room with the strange smell. When I close the central heating the water start to drain out of it. Breakfast could be better. They could add some plain yogurt and full grain bread.

These is my favourite location in Peterburg. I was many time in this hotel and I will come again two times in decembre. Friendly staff. Quick ckeck in and out. Clean and confort room. You can drink tea or coffe with some sweets all over the day. In my room was wellcome greatings and a flag of mx country - lovely. Location is perfect - in the middle of the town center with all attraction in a walking distance from the hotel and a lot of nice and good restaurants near.

• Standard Room

The breakfast could be more substantial although the Russian salad was excellent, almost as good as my mum's :)

The hotel is centrally located in a beautiful area near St. Isaac's. My room looked on the courtyard so it was very quiet at night. The staff was very friendly and the check-in was fast (I arrived around midnight). The room was clean and everything necessary was in place. I only stayed for one night but I enjoyed my stay. I would book it again.

• Standard Room

In principal I have no special things that I do not like. I am satisfied.

Nice small hotel in the heart of the city. 10-15 minutes from the Nevsky street, Dvorcovay ploschad, Hermitazh and many other attraction you must see. Nice breakfast. OK should be a little more choices, especially for guests who need low sugar meal. Stuff is friendly, speaking english and very polite. If you needs are not very high that is a choice for you.

• Comfort Room

In order to make it more family friendly, would be a good idea to fit an small fridge or minibar (our room did not have one) and also add at least one English channels to the television service, it would help visitors to relax after a long day out in the city.

Great location, right at the heart of the city. Helpful and friendly staff.

• Comfort Room

The quilts on the beds are quite small...

BEST STAFF EVER !!!! The people there are so nice and helpful, the location is more than ideal and the shower is hands down the best shower I ever had in my life (very specific review but you'll understand when you come over)

• Standard Room

The rooms are bare and minimal. The main problem is that there are no curtains on the windows. During White Nights it is difficult to sleep. When I mentioned this to the staff, they said it was a common complaint and that they are working on it. For how long? They gave me a sleep-mask. I could not sleep the first night, since the light woke me at 3 AM. I used the sleep-mask after that and slept better

Hotel Herzen's best feature is its location.

• Superior Room

Breakfast was basic at best. Toast was usually the best option for me.

Location cannot be beat. Great restaurants within walking distance. 2 blocks from the Hermitage & Admiralty. Nice, clean but basic rooms, comfy beds. Reception staff speak very good English, windows double glazed for quiet nights. individual air conditioning units in rooms worked well. Great water pressure in shower! Really nice having coffee, tea, filtered water and biscuits available 24/7.

• Standard Room

the breakfast is more than poor. The smell from the kitchen in the courtyard (from the restaurant at the ground floor) was disgusting, even in our room on the 4th floor

the location and the friedlyness of the staff

• Comfort Room

.Construction in the front of Hotel made entrance dangerous.

I stay in your place all the time and I am happy with all services you provide. Thank you.

• Reviewed: 19 May 2017

• Superior Room

Excellent location for all major attractions. Very friendly and helpful staff. We were particularly impressed with the knowledge and help provided by receptionist, Irina.

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

• Standard Room

Extrem friendly service, personalized greetings and even a little free give-away from st. Petersburg. Free coffee, tea and cookies all day long and a nice included breakfast. Best location in town a lot to discover in the sourounding plus a very close metro station. Just perfect!

• Reviewed: 3 November 2016

• Standard Room

I was at first adamant about this trip since several hotels I have inquired about it didnt know what I was talking about while others cancelled my booking when they learned that I am coming thru the 72 hour Visa Free program. When I saw this hotel and how they had great reviews I went ahead and booked it and emailed them. They replied right away, within an hour. Irina (the one who replied to my inquiry) put my mind to rest and assured me that its going to be alright. On the day that we arrived, we got off our City Bus at Isaacs Square and 7 mins. walk we were at the front door. The hotel is on the 4th floor but there is an elevator. We came in at 10am and the 2 receptionists greeted us with wide smiles and Victoria told us that since check in is at 2pm, we can just leave our bags at their luggage room so we can go ahead and explore the city. She even called a taxi for us since we were going to Pushkin. When we came back our room was ready. IT was VERY CLEAN and everything needed was thought of. And another plus is, they have coffee/ tea and biscuits available all day long. Which was beneficial since it was cold, rainy and we walked all over this beautiful city. I highly recommend this hotel. It is very clean (take it from me- I am OCD when it comes to cleanliness). The staff is very helpful and professional. The location is A+++. Its about 10 mins. walk to Nevsky Prospekt, 15-20 to Mariinsky Theater.

• Superior Room

Beds are a little small, good shower but no bath or toiletries, rooms a little shabby, but still good value for money though not a place where you would seek to spend extra time. hotel is on the 4th floor, with a good lift but might be an issue for some. Curtains are not light proof, there is considerable light from the street (if this is an issue for sleeping)

Competent staff, perfect English, great location for walking to many major sites nearby (including the Hermitage) and easy access to public transport for those further away. Free Hot water/tea/coffee access 24 hours a day in dining area very much appreciated. Breakfast is varied and competent, with cooked goods as well as fruit etc.

• Reviewed: 12 October 2016

• Superior Room

We stayed in the hotel from 18 to 20 Sept in superior room. As soon as we checked in we realised the shower was broken ( actually it was a flood in the bathroom), then we have to wait for another room, so we have to leave and came back about 10 pm to the hotel. Due to that issue I asked the receptionists to extend the hours for checkout, but unfortunately they made up so many reasons to say no. The hotel wasn't fully booked it was a lot of available rooms ( I've checked through the website), but the receptionist continued to argue that they don't have rooms or they couldn't change the checkout hours for us. The only fair way to solve that issue it would be refund money for unused hours as you didn't provide the service for what I paid. Btw the breakfast wasn't good neither (poor variety).

good location

• Reviewed: 27 September 2016

• Superior Room

The receptionists were so good.helped me with alot.super friendly.made my stay there great.the breakfast was great.loved the tea at night in the breakfast room.loved my tour to catherines palace,and maria booking the show for me at the last minute,and giving me a ride,and arrainging my taxi home.my whole experience in your city, and hotel was great.thank you.

• Reviewed: 29 July 2016

• Comfort Room

I'm travelling a lot but I have never met so wonderful stuff. OMG! Have no words :) Special thanks to Irina. Thank you so much for such nice stay! <3

• Reviewed: 27 July 2016

• Standard Room

Nothing. It was wonderful and I hope to go back some day soon.

Everything was amazing. The complimentary breakfast in the morning was great. They even had cold, clean water for us to drink in the cafeteria that we could access at all times of the night or day. The laundry service was extremely affordable and very quick. I loved everything about this hotel. The desk clerks made some wonderful recommendations for places to eat and things to see.

• Reviewed: 17 July 2016

• Superior Room

Nothing but the fact that I had to leave

I like everything- very helpful and friendly staff, nice location, clean and cozy room. The breakfast was nice - porridges of all kind were great. The nice feature of this place - they always have free tea and coffee with some cookies available for day and night. It's my second time in this hotel, first time I choose it becouse of good price, in my second time I choose this hotel intentionally. Had a nice time there along with my daughter:)

poor breakfast

Good location, clean room

• Superior Room

The matrass bed was too thin

The staff was nice and friendly

To hot rooms

• Superior Room

lack of hygienic appliences in the bathroom

Staff attention and care, cleanness, coffee, hot water, cookies round the clock, comfort, location

The breakfast

That I got fresh eggs for breakfast when I asked for it!

• Standard Room

Security for hotel was complicated and the breakfast very limited.

Great location and very clean comfortable room.

• Standard Room

Curtains did not prevent the white light from filtering through.

Unlimited access to tea coffee and cookies in the breakfast area.

• Standard Room

Access a bit complicated, but secure,

Great location, facilities good, secure, helpful staff

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

• Superior Room

Nice location, friendly staff. I would stay again.

Breakfast was average

Excellentlocation; bed comfy; staff very helpful;

• Standard Room

The staff was very helpful, even from before we arrive. They get high marks for their attention to detail for every guest.

• Reviewed: 16 January 2017

• Comfort Room

Nice and helpfull staff at The reception.

• Reviewed: 13 January 2017

Завтрак

• Reviewed: 12 January 2017

• Standard Room

Very nice and cosy hotel. Location and breakfast are perfect

• Reviewed: 22 December 2016

• Reviewed: 13 November 2016

Breakfast was very poor

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

• Superior Room

Bath supplies and breakfast could be a bit better (cold blue omelette)

Location and staff is very nice

• Reviewed: 8 October 2016

• Comfort Room

Staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 3 September 2016

• Superior Room

We got pleasure from nice staff,cleaan and surprise taxi to airport from administration.

• Reviewed: 24 July 2016

• Standard Room

No sound isolation in the room, poor breakfast.

Stuff / reception

• Reviewed: 23 July 2016

• Comfort Room

Great location, nice staff. good value for money

• Reviewed: 14 July 2016

• Comfort Room

The staff at the reception was very helpful

• Reviewed: 25 February 2016

There are quite thin walls between the rooms, which might be a bit inconvenient (mainly in case of louder neighbours).

Very nice and clean rooms with helpful staff. The hotel is perfectly located (right in the center og the city).

• Reviewed: 19 February 2016

A very good location for all of the major attractions. The staff at the front desk were excellent, especially Victoria, with all their help and advise.

• Reviewed: 16 February 2016

Minor issue: one of the heater was cold when we arrived. It turned out that the valve was shut. So it took a little while for the room to get warm. But overall I have nothing to complain.

1. You can't beat the location. All the famous places of interests are within walking distance to the hotel - Hermitage, Mariinsky Theatre, Russian Art Museum, Kazan Cathedral, even Peter and Paul fortress. And loads of good restaurants, bars and cafes in the area. 2. Staff speaks good English and was very helpful and responsive to our problem with the heater. 3. The place is easy to find. It is located on the 4th floor of that building. 4. Breakfast is ok.

• Reviewed: 21 November 2015

None whatsoever!

This is like a first class western hotel in a perfect location. Modern, clean and new, the breakfast is excellent, staff speak perfect English and very helpful. I loved this place!

• Reviewed: 19 November 2015

The only serious drawback was the quality of the complimentary breakfast.

The staff was excellent. Friendly, courteous, and helpful. Clean, quiet rooms close to everything. A great place for a budget conscious traveller.

• Reviewed: 18 October 2015

Firstly the location of the hotel is excellent, you're within the walking distance of the main attractions (St Isaac's, Winter Palace).This is one of the smaller hotels (it only covers 1 floor) and so it creates a cozy atmosphere, I even got a magnet as a welcoming gift. It's situated on the top floor (4th) and my room (412) faced onto the main road, but I must say that it was quiet and you couldn't really hear the traffic outside. The room was spacious (as was the bathroom). I also loved the fact that it had one of those fancy air conditioners that regulates the temperature and airflow. I visited in October so it was cold outside but sometimes with all the heating it got a little bit stuffy inside the room, so aircon was a lifesaver. Breakfast was good but I noticed that if you got there at 9am it's pretty packed but at 10 am there's hardly anyone there but the food gets topped up (and they can make things for you if you ask). The staff at the reception were welcoming, showed me around the hotel and helped out whenever I needed.

• Reviewed: 11 October 2015

A very comfortable and cozy deluxe room. It's a corner one with 4 big windows, and a window in a bathroom. A great view, plenty of nice cafes and restos close by. And only 5-10' of walk to Palace square, Hermitage, Alexandre's Garden and many other sightseeings. A very good location. Nice and friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 11 October 2015

Walls are paper thin and you - or your neighbors can hear everything. Not good for trying to sleep. Located on fourth (top) floor but has an elevator.

Excellent location. Close to Metro(about 5 minutes) many restaurants close by. Rooms are small but adequate for singles.

• Reviewed: 16 July 2015

good soundproofing from the ouside but relly bad inside, very thin walls, I could hear my neighbours having sex all the time... NO slippers, you get the bathrobe but no slippers at all. They are available for additional cost:( For the rest the hotel is really good for it's price

Perfect location, you are 5 min away from Nevskiy and Palace Square, about 7 min from metro; everywhere around hotel you find 24H grocery stores, cafes, restaurants etc. 3th floor of the building but there is an elevator. Booking has offered me an upgrade few days before check-in from standard double room to "Comfort" for a little extra. it's worth it. Big, bright room with elegant functional furnishings, comfortable bed, bathrobe, fridge etc. Friendly and helpful staff. THANK YOU very much for the welcome letter and souvenir magnet Very good wi-fi signal. Great idea to have the 24h access to the breakfast room where you can have a cup of tea or coffee, there some cookies as well. Every Wednesday they cook good pancakes that you can enjoy at the evening.

• Reviewed: 23 June 2015

Breakfast was uninspired and unvarying Cold meats, cheese, yogurt, sometimes rice with boiled weiners, toast, same salad every day

Location is excellent, staff very friendly and helpful

• Reviewed: 18 June 2015

Walls are not so soundproof so you do get neighbour coming and going and TV noise.

Herzen House is a modest hotel with very friendly helpful staff who speak English. No bells and whistles but clean comfortable rooms. Your room will have your home country flag and there will be a St Petersburg key ring memento. Nice touches. Continental type breakfast buffet. Coffee and tea available 24/7. Hotel is very well located for visiting The Hermitage, St Isaac's, Church of the Spilled Blood, canal boat trips, Main Street Nevsky Prospektand many other tourist sights. Many restaurants nearby. Very good value and great staff.

• Reviewed: 1 June 2015

Spacious, quiet room with many counters to work on. Breakfast room open even when not serving. Free bottled water from a dispenser. ATM in hotel. Terrific value.

• Reviewed: 10 February 2015

We appreciated the location it is perfect if you do not have too much time to visit the city. It is really close to the major attractions. The staff is great, they booked cabs for us restaurants, they were always there for us. We also appreciated the cleanliness of the hotel everything was great !

• Reviewed: 12 May 2016

The location is superb.The staff is very helpful and friendly. The included breakfast is quite decent. Overall, excellent value for the money.

• Reviewed: 26 April 2016

Room was a bit small.

Breakfast was good!

• Reviewed: 17 April 2016

Nice and elegant rooms. Perfect location.

• Reviewed: 5 April 2016

No TV channels in English

The location was excellent and the room was very comfortable. Excellent value for money

• Reviewed: 10 March 2016

A fine place, all around.

• Reviewed: 26 October 2015

Breakfast does not have many options, but is ok.

Friendly, very well located, confortable room.

• Reviewed: 29 September 2015

Brekfest

• Reviewed: 20 September 2015

Too thin wall that we hear the next room watching TV.

location, value for money

• Reviewed: 3 September 2015

• Reviewed: 13 July 2015

Nice staff, great location, not so luxury but comfortable equipments.

• Reviewed: 26 June 2015

Breakfast wasn't great.

Comfortable, plain rooms; lots of hot water; fantastic location. The staff were helpful.

• Reviewed: 18 May 2015

All the staff were wonderfully helpful. They could not have done more for us.

• Reviewed: 3 May 2015

Breakfast can be improved.

Personnel is very helpful, good wi-fi connection, in the center of all touristic locations.

• Reviewed: 15 March 2015

So nice staff, they speak English

• Reviewed: 1 March 2015

A bit poor breakfast!

Девочки, спасибо за гостиприимство! Great location! Good value!!

There are also 23 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.

Browse Herzen House traveller photo gallery