Reviews of Berns Hotel 4 stars

Näckströmsgatan 8, 111 47 Stockholm, Sweden

#88 of 144 hotels in Stockholm

Amazing stay, prime location in the touristic heart of Stockholm, rooms small but sufficient, very good breakfast in the phantastic Berns Salonger, feeling like 100 years ago

Super trendy higher-end hotel in the heart of the most fabulous area of Stockholm, park/skyline view
    • Deluxe Double Room with Balcony

Because we were staying on the top floor, we were right next door to their rooftop terrace bar, which meant sadly that nightclub music blared into our room until 3am every night. We received no warning of this when booking our room which meant there was no opportunity to cancel and book elsewhere. The housekeeping staff never replaced our breakfast order card after the first day, so it was a bit of an inconvenience because not pre-ordering breakfast meant we had to wait 45 mins from time of calling to order it. Also, providing a proper paper room service menu and not just putting the menu on the tv would help a lot!

The room had an amazing view and lovely little balcony. The skyline was of the other hotels along the waterfront, a touch of the marina, and the park between. The bed was incredibly comfortable, the room was very tidy, and spacious, with cool stylish decor. The room service food was delicious (sushi!!) and the lattes were generous. The minibar was fairly stocked and the AC was helpful given the heat wave.

Super location, friendly staff, impressive building. Recommended.
    • Standard Single Room

Not the greatest view from my balcony. My desk lamp was broken, and didn't get fixed before my departure. Not a big deal, though.

Superb location. Beautiful building, esp. the restaurant/bar. Very friendly and helpful staff. The single room I stayed in was basic, but had all the necessities. There's a large bar nightclub in the building if that's your vibe, but it causes no noise when the windows are closed. All in all, I can recommend Berns Hotel.

Great location, great hotel!

Best location, only a few minutes from the sea/harbour. Great restaurants and bars around. The property itself has great entertainment facilities( restaurant , bars, club etc) Breakfast was excellent and served in a stunning ballroom type room. I was travelling alone and it was the perfect hotel for me !

Gorgeous location across the park and within walking...

I wish that the balcony actually had a view (faced a brick wall) and the room was pretty tight size-wise.

Gorgeous location across the park and within walking distance to all major attractions. The interior and restaurants are just amazing!

Lovely breakfast, great location, friendly staff.
    • Deluxe Double Room

No electrical plug near bed or in bathroom. Stairs in room fx to bedroom. The room was somewhat chilly.

Lovely breakfast, great location, friendly staff. Wonderful view. Comfortable bed.

The window opened onto an interior courtyard - which had an...

The window opened onto an interior courtyard - which had an enormous raised glass ceiling that meant there was only inches from my window to that glass.

Good hotel with a great location, but a bit pricey
    • Standard Single Room

I paid more than 2300 SEK for one night which doesn't feel like it is very good value for money. The furniture in the rooms were quite worn and the rooms themselves were quite small. I wish the shower in the bathroom would have some kind of separation from the rest of the bathroom. As it is now it can become quite wet.

Friendly staff Very impressive dining room Great location in the middle of Stockholm city centre.

Lovely hotel, amazing staff.

Room was a little small and the pictures on the wall where a little bizarre ( pictures stuck on a wooden board with masking tape 🤷🏼‍♀️)

Lovely staff, amazing location, excellent for nightlife, not just the bar/club in the hotel, but the other bars clubs you can gain access through staying at the hotel! TOP! Close to port area ready for sightseeing, boat tours and having a relaxed walk around the beautiful city.

Loved the city and the hotel, will be back with my family.
    • Deluxe Double Room

Apparently an old theatre at which Marlene Dietrich performed,stayed! The restaurant/bar area is beautiful....very grand indeed. A lovely breakfast too.

Central location, excellent breakfast, good wifi, nice room.

Some seats in the breakfast area need to be restocked, as they have visible old stains .

Excellent breakfast, great selection of cheeses, nice pancakes & jam, scrambled eggs, fresh bread, varied fresh fruit, very nice. Incredible breakfast/restaurant lounge.

Great location and service for a short business trip.

My room was quite cold and I found it difficult to regulate a better temperature.

The breakfasts were very good. All staff were super friendly and helpful.

I will always try and stay at the Berns when I am in Stockholm
    • Standard Single Room

I really cannot fault either the Hotel or staff; perhaps the only thing they might want o consider is putting a coffee maker in the room

It is a unique hotel, every room is different but all, in their own way, very appealing I have always found the staff very professional, cheerful and helpful; they make you feel welcome and wanted

The room we got is a small irrgular shape room without real view, that was very uncomfortable. It also sounds funny when there are two bottles of water in the room and label says only one is free! There is no kettle no coffee maker in the room. To drink water or coffee you have to buy from their restaurant which looks glorious or pretentious depending on your taste. Since it has a bar attached, so it was very nosy during late night.

Great location. You can walk to old town or harbor river.

Comfy stay in the central part of Stockholm

There is nothing really bad in this place, only personal minuses which do not affect the perfect total overview are: a little too soft mattress (subjective opinion), and a little bit of dust under the bed.

Great WiFi, TV with access to internet (Youtube), awesome bathtub and hygiene products, lightning, and what should be written first - very welcoming staff (especially two gentlemen from reception desk that checked us in and out)

stay at another lovely hotel overlooking the water!
    • Deluxe Double Room

i choose NOT to stay on my return even though i would loose my money . this hotel I'm sure was wonderful in the 1800"s it now should be closed down . anyone being lured by the photos of this hotel..... choose another hotel !

looking at the hotel on their website ... looked lovely .. and the dramaticly styled restaurant .. stayed dec 28th ....... the hotel was miserable !... my deluxe room looked over their own roof ! the room was tired and musty . reception were indifferent! the only positive .. the moulin rouge style restaurant

this hotel may have been glorious in the 1800"s . it now should be closed down!
    • Deluxe Double Room with Balcony

at reception : the man "ice" was indifferent and rude ! ....not acceptable!... plus no offer to help with luggage and to 5th floor and then up to 6th floor. the room was said to have a view over the city. its view was over its own corrugated roof ! the carpet was stained! ... the curtains were old and musty!! ..the bathroom shower over tub.. you could not turn on the water without getting wet!

booking customers should choose another hotel !

Restful and uplifting stay in a beautiful setting.
    • Standard Single Room

I was very happy with my stay from staff, room, food and location.

Professional and friendly staff. Well appointed room and very comfortable bed! Location of hotel is very central to all places of interest while still bring discreetly tucked away on a side street.

Great stay. Flawed, but enjoyable.

Several things need improvement though: - it was pretty dark in there, even with all the lights on. It didn’t help that the floor lamp was broken. - the TV wouldn’t switch on. I checked in late on a Fri, so it didn’t get sorted until Sat afternoon. Even then, it wasn’t the most user-friendly experience! - Even with the heating set to max, it was still a couple of degrees colder than comfortable (it was around -2C outside). - The one complimentary bottle of water was sparkling rather than still. - Silver fish in the bathroom sink. - Mini bar snacks not replenished (but not a bad thing - it stopped me eating them!) But none of these things really spoiled my stay. I really wanted to try the Asian restaurant, and the staff were helpful in booking a table for me at 11pm on Friday - my arrival time at the hotel. I was a bit disappointed to hear that it would be the Christmas buffet and not the à la carte menu, but when I arrived I was told the buffet was cancelled and it would be the normal menu after all. Great! However, my experience in the restaurant was a bit random. They didn’t have my booking. Staff were running around like headless chickens. The restaurant was quiet but lots of tables were messy so it seems like they’d had a busy night. Service wasn’t great. And the menu was very limited - just a few items. Although the food was excellent quality, I felt like I was in the way of them clearing up. It wasn’t a nightmare, but it was nothing like the Michelin Star experience I was expecting! Shame.

Overall I had a good stay at Berns. It’s not perfect, by any stretch, but it has a lot of character. There’s lots of comments about rooms suffering from noise issues, mainly down to the nightclub on the premises. My room, 508, was absolutely fine. Just the faintest of noise, but not enough to bother you. The room itself was great. A bit dated, but very comfortable. The shower was powerful, the WiFi was strong, and the bed was comfortable. Buffet breakfast was really fantastic. Lots of choice, and the Swedish offerings were excellent. Gym was good.

It was OK - Oscar the barman genuinely saved this review from being worse

Bar area was not great / no proper seated common areas in the hotel other than one sofa near reception.

Oscar the barman was exceptional - we all thought so. Very friendly and professional. We thought he was the biggest asset the hotel had.

Beautiful Hotel in a beautiful city
    • Standard Single Room

Ive stayed at Berns several times. Always love returning to it as it has a really central location being a 10min walk from Stockholm Central Station. Its also on the edge of the main shopping area and there are some great restaurants nearby. The Hotel itself is a contemporary 'glamour' style with it once being a music hall. Think marble floors, wood panelling, grand chandeliers in the restaurant. The room I stayed in carried some of those principles through with elements like wood panelling and a marbled fully tiled bathroom. My room was a single occupancy room which is generously sized with a great bed, desk and a separate sofa built into the window nook. Being on the inner courtyard of the building there is a great view of the sky through the dormer window. The staff are great and multilingual. There was usually always a hello or the opportunity to have a chat with the front desk staff (unless they were really busy with other customers). One highlight which I hadn't tried before was the Berns Asiatiska restaurant. I wasn't disappointed, a beautiful setting within the old music hall and some of the nicest asian inspired food I think Ive ever had. Would highly recommend.

Exceptional

The coffee served with the breakfast wasn't warm enough for our taste. It seemed that it cooled down too soon in the iron containers it was served in. And it would have been nice to have a kettle for Nescafe or tea in the hotel room. Everything else was super.

The location was very good. The hotel building had a charming look. It was nice, very quiet and comfortable. We liked the breakfast and the staff was very nice. If or when we go to Stockholm again we will book a room at Berns.

We really liked the location.

Many small details will keep us from coming back. We did not like the smell in the rooms (maybe the airconditioning, which was by the way really loud, brought food smell from the kitchen). The rooms were too dark and the lightning is very poor. The service at the breakfast was poor. As a manager I would discuss the priorities and service with the staff.

We really liked the location. We stayed in standard rooms on fourth floor. The overall experience was ok. Breakfast was good and the restaurant was beautiful.

Excellent hotel in the heart of Stockholm

Excellent hotel in the heart of Stockholm. Well placed to easily access Gamla Stan and at walking distance of number of other places to visit (Wasa museum, ...)

great location, nice staff, small rooms

One night they did not make the beds while were gone; on arrival we could not get into our room by 3 pm check in time, which was tough because we had traveled overnight to Stockholm and needed a nap

Fairly attentive to special requests via phone even late at night; staff was very nice & attentive

Not a choice when You want to sleep.

Bed was old and too soft. Also noice/music from outside lasting until 2.30pm was preventing a good sleep.

Asian restaurant was very good, especially sushi.

I love this place

There was a loud outdoor rally or something that was going on the night I arrived. It made it hard to sleep.

It was close to everything I wanted to see and do. Easily one of my favorites in Stockholm!

I keep returning
    • Standard Single Room

I've stayed at Berns a few times in recent years and I've always found the staff to be warm and welcoming. It's a great venue, nice well designed rooms and a great central location

I was very much expecting this visit to Stockholm, and I have enjoyed it very much, but unfortunately I first had to get

Major design fails in the room, general room state is far from perfect, especially when considering the price - 200,00 euro per night, should be rewarded with worthy conditions

Location is brilliant, building is beautiful, room (superior) is spacious

Great location for a great hotel close to the centre of Stockholm

The fact you needed a key card to operate the lift? Only mildly annoying.

Great location, friendly staff, lovely room, great breakfast buffet with endless coffee. Couldn't have asked for more

We loved the Berns.

We loved the Berns. The staff was considerate and knowledgeable. The restaurant and bar were great. The location is ideal. This hotel is unique and very special.

It needs facelift - the hotel is looking tired

I think they hotel needs a facelift. It is looking a bit tired. I also thought the staff could be friendlier. Reception staff were great, but the bar were not as friendly. I also think the hotel is a little expensive for what it is.

I liked the location and the rooftop bar.

I did like the bed,it was very comfortable.

The bed,even though the matress was soft and pillows as well, the design of the bed looked cute but was not practical at all.The attached bedside tables were a nightmare for 2days of my stay.Bumped my elbow there countless times,bumped over glasses,phone and some drinks.Couldnt keep anything there. I should have notified the staff and I am sure they would help me but poor bathroom design.The towel dryer that was there burnt my leg since the bathroom is small and I didnt think it would be boiling hot.Ended up leaving Stockholm with 2nd degree burns on my leg.

I did like the bed,it was very comfortable. The pillows were perfectly soft which is unusual for hotels. Clean,cute design.

Breakfast was excellent and served in the beautiful...

The room was absolutely terrible. Smallest room ever on the last floor. Ugly furniture and tiny bathroom. Shower curtain not long enough to shield water off and bad lighting toio. It seems quite unbelievable how rooms like that can coexist with some beautiful antique features. Reception staff not very helpful in that regard. Only bonus is that we were far away from the disco noise as this is a hotel were big events are held.

Breakfast was excellent and served in the beautiful chandellieref room by a remarkably friendly and professional chief of staff. She offered free breakfast as we were so terribly disappointed with our room.

Great hotel with personality and style, in a good location.

Very minor, but the feather pillows seemed under filled, so flat and a bit uncomfortable.

Great location, good atmosphere, helpful staff and quirky rooms, loved the interesting details of the windows and wooden fittings. The main dining room is amazing, well worth a visit and the restaurant was really good.

It is a modernized building with unique features dating back...
    • Suite

Beware of incredibly loud thumping disco. Totally irritating.

It is a modernized building with unique features dating back to 1863. Fantastic dining/ballroom

Excellent Loc

I expect more smiling faces when i stay at a hotel like Berns.

The restaurant has an incredible atmosphere. The hotel can be chosen just to spend more time in that restaurant. I am not a Stockholm expert but the location was absolutely fantastic for any purpose.

Hotel OK but very noisey at night
    • Deluxe Double Room

The hotel has a bar and club downstairs both of which are very loud and open into the early hours of the morning. Staff indicated that most rooms were affected by the noise, so we had to use earplugs and white noise played from our phones, which kind of worked most nights. The lack of concierge, no lift from our floor and facilities in general gave the impression we over paid.

The only really good thing about the hotel is the location which is perfect for travelling/walking to most parts of the city. That said, our room was fine and overlooked a nice park and the main dining hall, where breakfast was served and you could have an evening drink, was fairly impressive.

• Reviewed: 13 May 2017

Club music all night - impossible to sleep
    • Deluxe Double Room

Part of the hotel is also a nightclub so it was impossible to sleep. I was staying two nights but checked out after night one because I couldn't sleep. I went out for business meetings in the morning and when I returned (after lunch) my room had still not been cleaned. I won't be returning.

Large room with beautiful window

• Reviewed: 5 May 2017

Berns Hotel

The room was tiny with the smallest window I have ever seen. Air conditioning didn't work so I was far too hot. The room was depressing with a wet room - not a proper shower. Did not show this on the website, so was really disappointed.

Restaurant staff in the breakfast room were amazing, the pan Asian restaurant food was excellent and the waiting staff again very knowledgeable and helpful. Location is brilliant.

Decent stay, great location but poor room quality

They placed us in a room right above the nightclub in the property (which we didn't know existed and they didn't inform us about) only to be woken up by vibrations. We had to move rooms past midnight and then got a much smaller room which had piping issues, which made it smell really bad. Not a good experience.

Great location, good breakfast (though expensive).

• Reviewed: 14 April 2017

The bathroom is not in an excellent state, a little painting etc.. would be better. And one thing you should know is that all the hotel including the restaurant accepts only payment by card..not very convenient for foreigners

The hotel is very well located, close to everything you can do everything on foot.

Berns hotel

No tea or coffee in the room.Got told it is only more deluxe rooms have tea and coffee. For the price per night I would expect more in the room.

Comfortable room, good location.

• Reviewed: 23 February 2017

Wonderful.

The room was starting to look a little shabby. Scratches on wood and floor, stains on carpet.

Almost everything. Staff were great, breakfast had an excellent choice.

• Reviewed: 15 February 2017

Comfortable, clean and the staff were friendly.

There are several steps up into the hotel, then several more into the body of the hotel. It would be nice if there were someone there to help with this. It is quite difficult trying to lift heavy cases while trying to open/keep open doors.

Comfortable, clean and the staff were friendly.

• Reviewed: 29 January 2017

Expensive and tired little room
    • Standard Single Room

Expensive for a very tired room. No information on what was available at the room, such as hairdryer. No proper pictures of the room actually booked.

• Reviewed: 22 January 2017

Top stuff
    • Deluxe Double Room with Balcony

Housekeeping needed to take a little more care. The extractor vent in the bathroom was mouldy/fuzzy. There was a great audio unit in the room but you couldn't connect to it via Bluetooth etc, so there was a tiny little Bluetooth speaker next to it but that was missing its USB power supply. I had one so no problem but for the top level room these little things should be right. Likewise the lack of hd tv and the premium channels was disappointing

Stunning hotel. Room was outstanding. Great views. Made you feel special to be there. Staff very helpful and made everything easy. Recommend the valet parking service.

• Reviewed: 7 January 2017

Great service and location to explore Stockholm

The bar was quite noizy till late

Beds were really nice and the service was excellent. The receptionist went out of his way to get us a room with a view and gave us a late check out

Cold rooms and dry air

Facilities are too cold, I was wearing a cashmere sweeter and huge scarf but still freezing. Standard double room was tiny and cold! we had to turn on air heater which completely dried out the air in room. After I used all body lotion my skin, nose and hair was still itchy because of the air dryness (I don't have any skin problems usually).

The restaurant hall is beautiful and very chic. Hotel vanity kit. Location.

• Reviewed: 25 December 2016

Great central location
    • Standard Single Room

The room looked a little run down and in need of renovation. The staff at the reception in looked a little distracted. I haven't received my wake up call and didn't get any apologies when I pointed it out on check out. It was an intense trip and I wanted to take a short walk. The receptionist told me she had no suggestions at all what so ever : it was the first time I was getting this kind of an answer in a 4* hotel... at least she gave me a map when I asked for it...

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

Would stay here again!

You can hear the club / bar from the superior rooms.. not as loud or bad as other reviews made it seem and didn't really bother us... we requested a "quiet" room based on other reviews and the staff offered a room on a higher floor but they were a lot smaller so we opted not to change..

Excellent location - easy access to everywhere.. Superior rooms were large enough to comfortably fit an extra bed..

• Reviewed: 11 December 2016

grand ballroom with a small, slightly fading boutique hotel attached to it

The restaurant was being renovated whilst remaining open but if was not comfortable to spend a longer time in it as staff were moving furniture around and kept the door open. No proper hotel lobby or space to spend time in after an early checkout. Late checkout not possible. No gym. Moodlighting in room very dark. Couldn't get heating to work. Too expensive for what it is if you stay in winter. Better stay elsewhere and just have a coffee in the restaurant.

I asked for, and got a quiet room

• Reviewed: 6 December 2016

The location was the hotels saving grace although my partner thought the room was fine

Hole in our sheets upon arrival Pounding music through my pillow at 2am even on 4th floor! No full length mirror in the room Nowhere to put anything Had to log in to wifi every time we entered the room as it kept dropping out

Staff were super helpful and very friendly

• Reviewed: 2 December 2016

3.5
    Dirty and old hotel

The bathroom had a funny smell which spread across your room. I found a bug in the toilets and hair in my bed. Overall it's a really old hotel and it's not well cleaned. The remote control was disgusting and the heating in the room is not good.

The food in the restaurant and the friendly staff

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

Great central location, helpful staff, very clean and comfy.

Rooms too hot, had to sleep with balcony doors wide open even though it was below zero outside. But every other hotel in Scandanavia is the same.

Great central location, helpful staff, very clean and comfy.

• Reviewed: 26 August 2016

Uncomfortable rooms.

The room was VERY small which grated over a 5 night stay as it is not a cheap hotel! Bed similiarly small and uncomfortable.

The hotel is in a good location and the decor of the restaurant is outstanding. Food and service is good.

• Reviewed: 24 August 2016

Location excellent in the middle of town.

Expectations on "Boutique" hotel with special design however not met, room was rather classic in style and not very spacious. Breakfast (195 SEK) rather expensive, but good in quality.

Location excellent in the middle of town. Personnel very friendly. Hotel in a beautiful building with many entertainment facilities, but the rooms were still calm.

• Reviewed: 21 August 2016

Tired, dull, dated ... AVOID

drugs and other junk from previous visitors were left in the room, no fresh flowers as per room description, tired dated dull, poor breakfast, loose metal strip on the floor. Totally lacking attention to detail, feels as though there is no management or direction or vision. AVOID

the afternoon/ evening reception staff were excellent - the others should quit the hospitality business!

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

Excellent Location, Beautiful Dining Room

Wifi in Room hard to get sometimes We had to get our Drinks ourselfs outside, while several members of the staff were just Standing around

Excellent Location, Beautiful Dining Room

• Reviewed: 1 August 2016

Unique location perfect for exploring

When the nightclub starts up at 915pm the restaurant is severely affected. The service in the restaurant was extremely slow. We had the oriental tasting menu and were often waiting 15 minutes between courses.

The room was large a spacious and reception staff advised us not to upgrade as the upgraded room would have been noisy from the nightclub. Restaurant was amazing location.

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

Exquisite Boutique hotel with a pompous touch in the middle of Stockholm.
    • Standard Single Room

the doorman at the night club needed to be convinced that hotel guests don't have to pay for night club entrance - but hotel staff solved the problem

Marlene Dietrich, Diana Ross and Rihanna stayed here...this fabulous hotel is so original and therefor timeless. Eclectic design and great location, friendly helpful staff, fab in-house night bars, but rooms still quiet, food good, very original style - pompous restaurant , but clean designed rooms. It was all I, as an experienced big city solo traveler, could ask for.

Fantastic location, lovely staff

Annoying internet connection, needs reconnect all the time...

Fantastic location, lovely staff

Great location, comfy hotel rooms, lovely staff

Great location, comfy hotel rooms, lovely staff

Location was ok

They have provided me with room for disabled

Location was ok

Not good

Narrowing hall and small space

Not good

Location is great as well as their restaurant

The room was loud and it didn’t have proper windows.

Location is great as well as their restaurant

Lovely location in the heart of Stockholm.

I couldn't find a pricelist for the minibar. And there was a dirty towel in the bathroom upon arrival ...

Lovely hotel in general...

Great hotel

Location; dining room and boutique nature

Fabulous

There are no comments available for this review

No service

No service

Central & luxurious

-great location -luxurious and stylish -professional & friendly staff -amazing views over the rooftops from our room on 5th floor

Fabulous breakfast

Fabulous breakfast

A cosy stay
    • Deluxe Double Room with Balcony

We found some cigarettes on the balcony. It also took very long to get the room cleaned.

The location and the staff is great. Also the food is great.

Awesome Frontdesk- very welcoming