Reviews of First Hotel Mortensen 3 stars

Baltzargatan 45, Norr, 21136 Malmö, Sweden

#34 of 42 hotels in Malmö

• Reviewed: 21 October 2018

Old hotel, but clean and fresh in every way.
    • Economy Single Room

A bit on the noisy side, but not too bad. Easy to overhear conversations from the room next door.

Good ventilation in the room, hardwood floor, very comfy bed. All the most essential stuff and no more. I slept well here.

• Reviewed: 14 October 2018

What a lovely little hotel located within 5 minutes walk of...
    • Economy Single Room

What a lovely little hotel located within 5 minutes walk of the train station. My room was spacious, clean and had a lovely view of the town. The staff and breakfast were awesome!

• Reviewed: 10 October 2018

Perfect location for typical tourist activities.

As we stayed there for only one night, we had a pretty impeccable experience. The location of the hotel is perfect. It's a 5 minute walk from popular food venues and also the Central Station, and around the same to get to parks and other tourist spots in the area. The staff at the reception were very nice and helpful, and spoke perfect English. The breakfast buffet had a pretty good selection, and the food was good. It's in a busy pedestrian area, however the room was quiet even with local musicians performing below.

- Provided all the facilities
    • Economy Single Room

- Staff didn't want to accept card but cash - Main staff (supervisor/manager) generally unfriendly and dismissive, there were the odd two staff who showed true customer service (I'm guessing their position in the hotel was not a manager/Supervisor role). - Came across a few bugs in the hotel bathroom but nothing gruesome.

- Provided all the facilities - Location is very central, very close to the main station - Large windows, provided nice fresh air - Old & vintage vibe lived up to the aesthetic

The breakfast was extraordinary, location -best in town
    • Economy Single Room

The walls between the rooms are very thin, the floor is creaky, so you could hear your neighbours walking, like they are in your room.

The breakfast was extraordinary, location -best in town

Best location and good value for money

The location was excellant. Not much to see in Malmo but this hotel is only 1 minute walk from its nicest square, but not so close that its noisey. Breakfast was excellant. There was only me and my son but they put us in a large 3 bed room as they weren't very busy

• Reviewed: 30 August 2018

Good quality-price ratio, after all.

We received a room with a shared door to the adjacent room and even if it was locked, we could hear absolutely everything was going on there. Not nice at all. You could hear the neighboured guest snoring, talking, intercoursing...Very disturbing. Lots of food at breakfast, but the same every day for the entire week, absolutely no changes.

Location, location, location. In the pedestrian center, yet not too close to the noisy bars and Lilla Torg to be disturbed. Nice antique elevator.

A very good place close to everything
    • Economy Single Room

Sometimes I heard the air-conditioning / ventilation mild sound in the room from the ceiling, but despite of this I slept very well :)

Very good location, close to everything. Excellent breakfast, and very friendly staff. I have stayed here for three nights, it was sightseeing trip, so I spend my time in the hotel mostly in the evening. It was a perfect choice!

Great location for a comfortable stay.

The rooms were clean, comfortable and quiet despite loud noises on the street which could be heard if the window was opened. The breakfast was excellent and the breakfast room felt comfortable and friendly. We would stay here again.

Great value for money - right in the middle of Malmo

The breakfast room was in some mornings a bit crowded. It was a little hard for the staff to keep up with refilling and cleaning the tables, but they do tried their best.

Very nice cozy hotel right in the middle of Malmo. 5 minutes to Central Station. The bed was very comfy with a soft mattress. The staff was ready to help you anytime with any inquires. The breakfast was amazing with many fresh options for starting your day. We stayed on the 4th floor with the window over the pedestrian area and we didn't have any problem with the noise.

• Reviewed: 4 August 2018

Old hotel but central and comfortable.

Mold in the bathroom. The hotel itself needs refurnishing and is old and worn. Also reggaeton music as background for the breakfast room is a rather stressful music genre.

The hotel has a good atmosphere in spite of being so old. Due to heat we asked for a fan for our room, and the staff gave up their one fan in the reception to ensure we had a good nights sleep. Higly appreciated!

Very enjoyable
    • Economy Single Room

The (single) room was compact and functional but lacked stand for suitcase The hotel did not serve meals in evening

The room was comfortable and very clean The location was very central and very convenient for transport links

Generally a nice hotel in an excellent location

Stayed in room 207 and the floors WiFi connection could not reach our bedroom unless we hung out of the window. We were told breakfast was until 10:30 everyday however, when we arrived at breakfast on the Monday, our final morning, we were then told it was until 10am on the weekdays which was incredibly disappointing as we had a full day of travelling ahead of us.

Breakfast was very tasty with a lot of variety and choice. Very good location right in the centre of Gamla Staden

Would not like to stay there again. At least not in that room
    • Economy Single Room

My room was located in the middle of the building. So it did not have a proper window. At least you could not open it and the view was on some pipes in the “backyard”. Due to the fact the window could not be opened a fan had to run all the time to bring in some air. Since you could not open the window the room had an air condition. Unfortunately that was quite loud. The furniture looked like from another age and the floor was a bit dirty and sticky. The armchair in the room was very filthy. But the bathroom was surprisingly clean. Bed linen was fresh. But the overall impression from the room was very dark due to its window, little lightsources and the dark furniture and not very welcoming. As you can guess my price category was not the highest but they could do better.

I liked the location in the middle of the city and close to the main station. And the old building the hotel is located in is quite charming. The staff was friendly.

Very relaxing stay in great location.

Great location for tourists, very comfortable beds and amazing buffet breakfast with hot and cold foods. Free baggage storage and coffee throughout the day are available. Wifi is fast and there were enough power outlets in the room. The decor is dated, but matches the building and is well maintained.

The location of this hotel is great -- very centric.

The bathroom toilet was running the whole time I was there. My suitcase (standard size) did not fit in tiny slot next to the closet with the luggage stand. I arrived at 3pm, which is check-in time, (after having dropped my bag off a few hours earlier), and my room was still not ready. They accommodated and gave me a different room (which was nice).

The location of this hotel is great -- very centric. The breakfast spread was really nice. The hotel has some interesting character given the building's age.

• Economy Single Room

There are no laundry machines available. The hotel info somewhere claims they have laundry service, but I don't think they do (I would not pay for that anyway and prefer to do my own). If you are on a short stay and have some "extra" clothing this should not be an issue, but in general there are no independent laundry facilities in the city.

Great location. Helpful staff. Breakfast was awesome. I stayed in an economy room, so yes, things were not over the top. I've seem some complaints about the hotel needing updating, but I prefer the charm of an older building. Bonus - the elevator shaft is in a "cage" and the staircase wraps around, so kids might find that interesting to watch. All in all I thought my stay was great value for money. It was wonderful to visit Malmo again!!

Good choice for a first business trip to Malmo, I would consider staying again

On the one evening I was not eating out with colleagues, I enquired about eating in the bistro, but was told that there would be only a limited choice and it appeared that food would be cooked by the person on reception!! I chose to eat out of the hotel instead.

Excellent choice of Cereal, cold meats/cheeses/bread and added availability of cooked elements (sausage/bacon/egg)

Really enjoyed our stay, especially being so close to all amenities and seeing our daughter.

Breakfast was disappointing for me as there were no croissants or Danish pastries.

Adequate choice at breakfast. Room and beds comfortable. Good location.

Great value for money, given the location.

Tea/coffee facilities in the room would have been nice, but not essential. Rooms could use some modernising, but we felt they were great value for money.

Great location not far from the Central Station and shops. Friendly staff. Comfortable and adequate rooms. Great breakfast selection.

Liked the decor and loved the location!

Hotel a little dated, could use a little facelift. Strange plumbing noises coming from adjacent bathrooms. Not much to watch on TV in English.

Generous spread and variety for breakfast.

Great location, Safe neighboorhood. Defintely would stay here again.

Location was right off the main shopping street and only a 5-10 min walk to the Malmo central station. Safe neighborhood with good restaurants. Supermarket was right down the street. The breakfast was pretty good also.

Warning for this hotel - you might end up sleeping in a conference room, looking at a flip chart
    • Economy Single Room

I didn´t get the room I had booked. Instead I got a bed in a conference room - no TV, no window, only projector, white board, flip chart, lots of chairs and the bed pulled down from the wall. A constant noise from the ventilation... I could never imagine a hotel could have a room like that for rent. I really want to warn everyone for this hotel - there is a risk you might be placed in this conference room. Since this was so far from what I had booked and what I consider being a hotelroom, I checked out and went to a real hotel, Noble House just 3 minutes away.

The receptionist tried his best to handle the fact that I didn´t get the room I had booked and instead got a bed in a conference room - no TV, no window, only projector, white board, flip chart, lots of chairs

Fantastic location, great breakfast and absolutely no issues.

Fantastic location, great breakfast and absolutely no issues. The staff were friendly and we loved the building and furnishings. Happy to recommend it.

Excellent location & breakfast

The stuff could be more friendly. The bathroom is small.

The location is excellent! The hotel is situated in the city centre and about 5 minutes to Central Station. You can easily find a shop or diferrent restaurants. The breakfast is very good and the bread is absolutely delicious! The bed is very confortable and the room was cleaned every day.

It is a lovely old building.
    • Economy Single Room

It is a lovely old building. The rooms are in need of renovation but were very clean and comfortable. The receptionist told me they would be refurbishing many of the rooms this summer.

Greatest place to stay

Squeaky floor. Maybe if you have trouble sleeping, that might be a little annoying.

Location is great, you have everything you want nearby. Big room with comfortable bed. Everything was good.

Very nice

we wanted to pay directly with the card at the hotel but they told us that the money would be drawn from the card with which the booking was made. after I left I was called from the hotel, that the money can not be withdrawn from the card and I will have to give the card data by phone or email. And as this can not be done because of security, I have to open a foreign currency account just for this payment. So, due to hotel unprofessionalism, besides the amount due on accommodation, I will pay account opening fees, bank transfer fees and account maintenance or account closing fees in case I will not use it again.

Central location, good food and clean room

Everything was perfect!

Everything was perfect! The staff was very kind and professional. We had to leave very early in the morning and they prepared a small breakfast for us even before the kitchen was open. We will definitely come back!

Really nice hotel in the charming old center of Malmö.

Really nice hotel in the charming old center of Malmö. Close to the central station and a lot of nice cafés and charming buildings. The hotel was really nice and had all the necessities for a weekend in the city. And the hotel brunch it REALLY good :)

The bed was really comfortable, we could sleep very well in...

some of the bakeries were a little dry.

The bed was really comfortable, we could sleep very well in it. Breakfast was excellent too, wide range of food were served.

The pictures on Booking.com are not anything like the room we stayed in, misleading.

Our room was peculiar. Giant in size but incredibly dated. The "window" was to an internal ventilation area with a sheer drop downwards. No natural night, and ventilation was with aircon all night, couldn't open a window. Strange fire escape door also in room, which was a concern. Dried gum on the bed frame which hadn't been cleaned.

The bar/restaurant section was very smart, but never used during the day. Great location.

Charming hotel!
    • Economy Single Room

The room can do with some paint, to freshen up a Little. And as in most hotel today, not enough sockets for charging phones and so on. There is no nightstand/shelf beside the bed. The guest computer was not working (is hidden away in the hallway on the second floor). The elevator broke down, but was fixed fairly quick.

The location is very good. The price for the stay was OK. The hotel has charm.

Very well located hotel, nice staff. The room and the bathroom were ok.
    • Economy Single Room

There was a really small window in my room, but no light at all because it was right in front of a scary wall with huge pipes. Didn't look good...

Breakfast was really fine and various.

Value for money, clean and good location just a short walk...

It has its charm with older interior, but might need to be replaced in a close future. Still very clean and nice.

Value for money, clean and good location just a short walk from Malmö Train Station

Great hotel...Parking nightmare..

Parking situation...we parked in the parking house around the corner to the hotel...we were aware of the high fees but this was not the problem. When we arrived back at the car next morning the contents had been stolen. As we had only taken an overnighter up to the hotel we lost all our main luggage that had been hidden from view in the back of the car.The police informed us that criminals target foreign cars and can overide the locking system ( we 100% locked the car) .This of course is nothing to do with the hotel but it is the nearest parking house and street parking is very difficult to find. We strongly advise to leave nothing behind in the car.

This is the second time we have visited this hotel. We were again given the lovely large rooms with wooden floors and a historic flare. The young staff are very friendly and the tasty breakfast is served in a modern cosy enviroment. Great location for shopping and dining.

• Reviewed: 28 April 2017

Old fashioned luxury! Charming
    • Superior Single Room

The only problem was that I couldn't get the wifi to work - but I didn't ask for help fixing it so I can't blame them. :)

LOOOVED it. I think I had what must have been the best room - top floor and the corner room looking out on the street. (Ask for room 504 if you're booking single superior room!) I had 12 windows! The old vintage style is just lovely. The authentic creaky floorboards are charming, as is the decor - including the vintage velvet chaise lounge and arm chairs in the room! The amenities included in the room are good quality, and there was a little fridge pre-stocked with beer, wine, and water (which cost of course). The staff were all very friendly. Breakfast was standard but tasty: Bacon, eggs, sausage, cereals, bread, lunchmeats and salami, fresh veggies to put on the sandwiches, coffee, tea, hot chocolate. I also ate lunch at the property. It was delicous and well-priced. You can get it to takeaway for 20kr cheaper which is a great deal! Really loved this hotel, it feels old fashioned in a luxurious way!

• Reviewed: 11 January 2017

Charming hotel in the centre of a charming city

Loved everything about this charming hotel - great location 10 minutes walk from Malmö Central Station, right next to shops, interesting cafés and Design Form Centre. Our room had beautifully preserved original features and a super-comfortable bed. The staff were friendly and welcoming, and even arranged late check-out for us. Will definitely stay here again next time we are in Malmö 😊

• Reviewed: 1 October 2018

Very comfortable room and cozy furnishings.
    • Economy Single Room

The room essentially had no window.

Very comfortable room and cozy furnishings.

• Reviewed: 23 September 2018

Lovely staff

Needs refurbishing.

Very central.

Great location. Exelent breakfast.

Old fashioned room

Broken shower

Old fashioned room

Breakfast is excellent, location is in the heart of the city, friendly staff!

Breakfast is excellent, location is in the heart of the city, friendly staff!

• Reviewed: 31 August 2018

Location is good

The staff behaviour. Very rude and extremely arrogant

Location is good

The only thing i missed and wanted was a fridge/minibar...
    • Economy Single Room

The only thing i missed and wanted was a fridge/minibar in my room. Everything else at Mortensen was perfect!

A lot of vegan alternatives for breakfast, just make sure...
    • Economy Single Room

A lot of vegan alternatives for breakfast, just make sure you ask for them.

There was no a/c and when having to open the window it...

There was no a/c and when having to open the window it was VERY noisy not making for a good night's sleep 😠

Noisy

very nice hotel in the centre of the city.

very nice hotel in the centre of the city. good coffee and very good breakfast.

Not good

The reception is not good. He dont even know how to deal the costumer. It isvery hot , and noisy.

Rhe placeand the room

Breakfast is varied.

Noisy neighborhood. Restaurant offer is poor.

Breakfast is varied.

Life Savers!
    • Economy Single Room

I made a mistake when booking my room but the receptionist was very helpful and fixed it in no time!

great location, reasonable money for the value

great location, reasonable money for the value

Good hotel

The floor would crack.

The hotel is centrally located. The staff was friendly and helpful. The room was confortable and had a nice view.

Brilliant breakfast

Brilliant breakfast

It was good

Bed ut was

The bed was not a double bed

The location is perfect - seriously in the middle of the...

Bed was too soft

The location is perfect - seriously in the middle of the city. The room was totally cool, comfy, clean.

Very nice old fashion style, spacious double room in city...

Very nice old fashion style, spacious double room in city center

Centralt

Oprofessionell personal i receptionen

Centralt

Nice location in old city, and breakfast is nice!

Nice location in old city, and breakfast is nice!

Good price for good accomodation.

Super breakfast, nice room, good location, helpful staff.

Fabulous

I had to leave

Wow wow breakfast top staff helpful kind great location And the view Was lovely

Breakfast is delicious.

Breakfast is delicious.

Size of the room.

The room is a bit old-fashionned.

Size of the room. Many windows. Very good breakfast.

comfotable and good location

would be nice to have shower gel in bathroom and bed was a bit too soft

breakfast buffet

Fantastic location less than 10 mins walk from Station

Wooden floors meant that night owl in room above was slightly annoying

Fantastic location less than 10 mins walk from Station

Restaurant, location(5min to train station), staff

Restaurant, location(5min to train station), staff

Big sortiment of brekfast

The windows on 5 floor wasnt safe for children

Big sortiment of brekfast

It was a decent accommodation for a single night sleep-over.

The bread selection at breakfast.

It was a decent accommodation for a single night sleep-over.

Room without window...
    • Economy Single Room

Room without window! Wifi did not work... mixture of old and modern, very bad mixture..

Location, breakfast

Room with atmosphere.
    • Economy Single Room

Nearby parking house expensive.

Room with atmosphere.

Hotel was recommended by friends who had stayed there, and we were pleased we decided to book.

Room was a little faded, but otherwise clean and comfortable.

The location was very good, and the staff helpful. Breakfasts were very good.

Nice location,excelent room, Nice staff

Nice location,excelent room, Nice staff

Excellent hotel, highly recommended!
    • Economy Single Room

Great hotel, nice rooms, tastefully decorated with good facilities. Friendly staff and great location right in the centre of Malmö.

Browse First Hotel Mortensen traveller photo gallery