Reviews of Hotel Hellsten 4 stars

Luntmakargatan 68, Vasastan, 11351 Stockholm, Sweden

#91 of 144 hotels in Stockholm

• Double or Twin Room

There wasn't much to not like, but I suppose if I am picky, it would have been useful to have a shelf or two in the bathroom, which was very small and there was nowhere to put anything. I think that's about it!

Although the room was tiny, it was perfect for our needs. It was also nice to have a little balcony. The beds were very comfortable. The staff were really friendly, helpful and efficient and 'system' seems to run smoothly. The common areas of the hotel are lovely - particularly the lounge with its automatic coffee machine which, unusually, gives out really good espressos/cappuccinos. The location is fairly quiet but is situated very close to the metro, so only a stop (or two?) from the centre and it's very easy to get around. The breakfast room is large and airy and the food is good - a decent selection of hot and cold food and cereals, etc.

A bit pricey in absolute numbers, but more or less ok compared to other hotels in Vasastan district of Stockholm.

Modern hotel with nice design elements. Located just 3 mins from Rådmansgatan metro station and a quite street with almost no traffic. At the same time there are a lot of cafes, bars and shops on a nearby street. Very good breakfast. Also find a minute to look at Hellsten Earth Bar. It looks more like ethnograpic musem, but the kitchen is very good too. My single room was rather small but well planned so free space wasn't a problem. Great personnel. Free of charge luggage room.

• Double or Twin Room

The bathroom was very small and the shower was leaking and lukewarm

The breakfast was great and the location is pretty central. Expensive but relatively good value for a hotel of this level in stockholm.

Well, we sent a special request that we're spending there our honeymoon, and we got room with 2 beds sticking to each other, not one single bed. Eh... it was uncomfortable. If the room would have a little fridge and secured locker, it would be a perfect stay.

Hotel is very stylish, in a good neighborhood, you can easily walk to city center. Breakfast is also good and offers variety of choices. The room by itself was also good, with big windows and nice furniture.

There was no fridge in the room - reception offered us to keep the food we bought but it was still inconvenient. Breakfast was very modest and stuff started to get away rest of the food for almost half an hour before the breakfast was officially over.

Location is perfect! Reception was very welcoming and helpful and all the atmosphere of the hotel is very "middle-ages". There was sauna in the room which also was a pleasant surprise (we didn't use it I believe it would be veeeery nice)

There is no mini-fridge in the room

Very nice hotel with good breakfats, friendly staff, jazz bar, free coffee all day and in a walking distance to the Old town

Dark small room and minuscule bathroom.

Great location and friendly and efficient staff. Nice light veranda breakfast room - reasonably good choice for breakfast.

The property needed a bit of maintenance and the room was super small, but comfortable enough. Also the carpet in the corridors needs to be changed, lots of stains. A stale/mouldy smell dominated the corridor, and the room was hot due to the lack of a/c (remember to ask for a fan, it helps).

I liked the location! Perfect to explore the city! All items at breakfast were of good quality. Staff was also helpful.

• Double or Twin Room

Small room, breakfast was average, not a lot of options and the quality of the food was medium.

Clean, close to metro station (2 stops from city center)

• Small Double Room

There is no place to put clothing away--i.e. drawers or shelves. The room we had didn't have any shelves or small chest in which to put away clothing that one doesn't hang up.

The hotel was beautiful, provided a wonderful breakfast and filled with friendly, most helpful staff.

• Small Double Room

Our room was very small, which isn't unusual for big city hotels, but it may be a challenge for some people.

I loved the atmosphere and style. The decoration gives the whole place an exotic and interesting character.

• Double or Twin Room

The room and especially the bathroom were very cramped for two people. I was travelling with my 20-years old son and it was uncomfortable. In my opinion the room was more suitable only for one guest.

Hotel is located very close to city center, but it is quiet. Breakfast was very nice. Room cleaning was good and imperceptible.

Shortly: nice "boutique" hotel, fantastic breakfast, very comfortable bed with "lazy foam topper", pleasant personal, every Thursday in hotel bar jazz concert, cafe and tea in the lobby free

• Double or Twin Room

Our room was very hot, and there was limited ventilation. Ask for a room with a window that opens!

Great location, delicious breakfast and good to have complimentary tea/coffee available all the time.

• Double or Twin Room

-beds are not the best if you have some problem with your back, -separate beds can not be put together as the shelf is between them and fixed to the wall, -someone may say room is small, but if you come to Stockholm then you need the room just for sleep and shower.

-perfect location - everything is in walking distance, -breakfast is good, -room was quite and with balcony next door to "Carlson".

• Small Double Room

Excellently located with tasteful decor, this hotel offers something different. It can do with some maintenance or TLC, but on the whole it was great. Very friendly staff, a very good breakfast and generous areas to relax and unwind. A free coffee machine made up for the lack of same in room.

The floor and the furniture were creeky. The tapestry in the corridors needed maintenance. There was neither water boiler nor fridge, which could have made sense in terms of design coherence, but not as much since they had no complementary hot drinks, but only for sale.

The room was impressive and the bed was beautiful, the overall atmosphere was very scenic. The hotel design was welcoming and pleasant. Breakfast was superb, both delicious and complete with many different things.

• Small Double Room

Breakfast was superb and with great selection of fresh cheese, salad and herring! Coffee and tea available all day. Thursday night hosted a jazz night at the bar which was most comfortable since we had just arrived.

• Small Double Room

Very comfortable, good sleep, great selection for breakfast, few meters away from Metro station, very easy to reach from airport or city center. A pleasent walk of 15-20 minutes to the central market, if one choses to go by foot. Our plane landed early in the morning and we went to the hotel earlier then checkin, just to leave the baggage safe, but we were lucky and the very friendly receptionist was able to check us into the room earlier, so that was a very pleasent surprise !!

• Small Double Room

For me the lobby was a bit too dark , but that you can fix with candles or cozy lighting. The double beds are to singles beds but together , and if you get a bit way too active they seperate. Maybe something to click them together would help :)

It was an cozy old building , firendly people , clean and right at the central Stockholm. And don’t forget the free coffee at the lobby ;)

• Double or Twin Room

That I couldn’t stay any longer

Location was excellent, a very short walk the the nearest subway station. 10/15 minutes to central station. Round the corner from one of the main streets. Breakfast was amazing. I couldn’t fault the staff one bit, especially the one who was very helpful with us checking in when arriving late (everything went through and was explained very well) Very helpful when needed. Nice sitting area for tea/coffee. Room was of a good size, clean etc. Bathroom was on the small side, but all I needed was there. All in all 10/10 for this stay and would definitely stay here again.

• Double or Twin Room

Can’t complain about anything, our stay here was amazing.

Breakfast was a highlight, there was so much on offer and the foods were delicious. As somebody who is lactose intolerant I was very happy to see there was dairy free butter and milk on offer and gluten free things too! The room was lovely and the four poster bed was so comfortable.

• Double or Twin Room

the bathroom was so small infact you could not make it up and when we saw some of the guest on the following morning we understood why we got that room ............. but it all worked out well and the location was great we walked everywhere

we arrived late on Thursday evening and was shown to our room on entering it I could not believe the size of it and the bathroom well fair play to the person who got a shower toilet and sink into that little space. But after going for something to eat calmed down and said so what it looked clean and ok and infact it was .

• Small Double Room

Would be nice to provide some body lotion as its hard to bring this with hand luggage flights. Room small and simple - ok for a few nights if all doing is sleep.

Breakfast was great. Lovely and quiet location.

• Small Double Room

i wasn't expecting the room to be that small nevertheless the bed was comfortable and the bathroom was clean.

i like the living area where there is free coffee. after a tiring day out, you can sit in the comfortable sofa and sip coffee.

• Double or Twin Room

The room we had first was at the ground floor and the noise was terrible. The second room we got was at 1st floor, without ventilation and with no possibility to open the window, so it was quite smelly...

The design of the rooms is very interesting. A plus is the fact that in 15 minutes you can reach by foot the city centre. Also, the breakfast was pretty good, and the coffee in the lobby as well, but I still prefer a coffee machine in the room.

• Double or Twin Room

I didn't like that I wasn't able to stay long enough to see the extra activities the hotel has to offer. Such as, African Jazz on Saturday evening!! super amazing.

The free breakfast... has been BY FAR, the best I've ever had. The staff was neat, clean, polite, respectful and smiled often. 10/10, would stay here again!!! ((Late check-in was clutch))

The staff was super nice and helpful; the rooms have nice decor (I got a room with a red wall - which I asked for - and was super happy with it). The breakfast was good (even for ppl with dietary issues). Great value for money.

Everything! Great location and super friendly staff in this boutique style hotel. Each room is individually styled from what we could see and each has a lot of character. Very spacious and comfortable with great clean facilities.

• Small Double Room

Nothing in particular was bad per se. My room was quite basic but I had booked the small double room. I might book a larger room next time.

Nice hotel with great character. Really felt like I was staying in a unique hotel. Very interesting works of art in the public areas. The food was really good - very surprising that the bar food was of such a high level. Value for money for my stay was welcome.

Everything ‘s perfect

I would definitely recommend this wonderful hotel: it’s really stylish, the stuff is super friendly and helpful and the breakfast is just amazing!

• Small Single Room

Waiting line at check-in.

breakfast was great. The room was smaller than expected, but clean and comfortable. I arrived on Thurs. so it was jazz night in the bar. Great! Location was very central and I could walk to all meetings. staff was friendly but i had to wait at check-in for 5-10min in line because there was only one person. ;-( and I had just arrived after traveling 16 hours from Newark, so my patience was very thin. Next time if there is a line beyond one person I would strongly recommend summoning support!

• Small Double Room

The rooms were not well-equipped. There were no closets or drawers for your clothes. The bathroom shower would always flood into the rest of the bathroom. For a 4 Star hotel I expected more.

The inclusive breakfast was great. The location is good for up-and-coming restaurants & shopping, but farther from main attractions.

In the reservation we requested parking for our stay. Not registered and not a word!, so we have to move the car to official parking house for 1 night! Superior Double room was as big as a walking in closet!

Hotel is situated central in Stockholm.

• Double or Twin Room

Some of the furniture looks a bit used and should be replaced. I would not rate it as 4 star, but more as a 3 star hotel. It´s not particularly cheap, but still a good price for Stockholm. Our room was right next to the elevator and the door actually had a little gap - so our room was not really sound proof. You could hear the elevator and guests using it early in the morning, which was a bit annoying. I hope the hotel will fix this door to make it more conveniant for the next guest.

Great location, close to the metro station and in a nice neighbourhood. The style of the hotel is nice, but it could need a little update. We had a room on the 5th floor with a very nice view over the rooftops. Good room size and equipment. The bathroom has a cool style, but is very small. The breakfast area is in a glass-house which is very nice and makes for a good start in the day.

Rooms in the same category offered different amount of comfort, they all match the hotel descriptions, so no complaints there, however seeing two junior suites(our friends got a room next to us) and being able to compare them, I can say that our room was certainly bigger, had better design and felt more luxurious than the other suite.The other room had its charm too, but I would never put it in the same category. No bathroom kits(I normally expect those in a suite), bathrobes hidden in the tv-drawer, found them by accident-may be put them on the bed instead?

We stayed at the hotel twice,to celebrate new year and my birthday, both times we got the room we fell in love with.The design was great, location was spot on for us as we went out to Nalen in the evening. Good breakfast. During the second visit we wanted a particular room and got it without any problems, so staff was cooperative on that particular request.

• Small Double Room

Good location on a quiet side street in Stockholm. Could be difficult to find, so do your research before you leave.

Excellent staff. Very clean hotel. Really good breakfast Free 24 hour coffee and tea.

• Double or Twin Room

The bed was super comfortable. Local jazz at the bar was a bonus! Breakfast was provided and the selection was great. Staff were very nice. Very quite at night and everything was in walking distance.

• Small Double Room

The loud music that played beneath our room on Saturday night could have ruined a nice evening. Better flag this to residents clearly. Maybe you did. The piece of cardboard used to keep the drawer in place is not a long-term solution - fix the drawer.

We got an upgrade ! Thank you :-) !! Great coffee !

• Small Single Room

Very dark colours in the single room which made the accommodation feel claustrophobic.

Handy location. Close to transport. Jazz night. Friendly staff. Water & Coffee machine available for guests at the lounge. Quirky furnishings.

• Small Double Room

There was almost no place to put clothes. I usually hang them. Wardrobe to hang clothes was missing. Hopefully I was travelling for 3 days.

Design. I love such places. The service - people were very nice and willing to help :)

• Double or Twin Room

Bathroom was a bit small and we missed a minibar. And having to go out on the street for a cigarette feels so so but pretty ordinary for Sweden I guess

Really nice room. Quiet and with nice wooden floors.

• Double or Twin Room

The room is not very soundproof,but I can accept.

Friendly staff in reception,kind and effectively.The area of hotel is clean and quiet,really nice.Also the hotel near the underground station,super convenient.

• Double or Twin Room

Everything, only bad thing if any was that our double bed was 2 singles pushed together and they kept splitting so my partner and I had to cosy up on one bed.

• Small Double Room

Though the hotel is near the commercial centre of the city, a large number of good bars, restaurants & tourist attractions are actually just south of the main city hub, in Gamla Stan, Söderalm and Skansen, so location-wise it was not perfect, but walkable (20-30 mins from Gamla Stan).

Staff extremely friendly and welcoming! The decor and facilities could use updating, but over all a great stay and decent value for money in a relatively expensive city. Highlights were use of saune and excellent breakfast buffet.

• Small Single Room

nothing really, bathroom is small

whilst the rooms are small by UK standard they are very clean and tidy, and the coffee/te lounge with free refreshment is a welcome facility given the prices in the main city coffee bars. Breakfast is very good and plenty to suit all diets. receptionists couldnt be more helpful. residents have free use of computers and linked to free printing - great for on line check in and boarding pass printing

• Double or Twin Room

The staff here are welcoming and helpful. The hotel itself is somewhat quirky and rustic, including some old furniture and unusual wall colours. This may be to some people's taste, but not mine. The breakfast is decent and the location very good.

It didn't particularly bother me, but noise from other rooms (e.g. t.v.) was quite loud.

An interesting room, irregularly shaped. Very pleasant staff. Extremely good breakfast, and a nice breakfast room, with staff working unobtrusively but observantly.

• Small Double Room

The room and hotel appeared more dated than the photos suggested. Was hoping for a better breakfast selection.

Bedding was very comfortable. Soap & shampoo were great quality. Bathroom was very clean. Reception staff was very welcoming & helpful.

• Double or Twin Room

Little pricey for one night, but worth every penny for the central location.

The hotel is very cozy, clean, and tucked away out of the busyness of the main streets. The staff was incredibly helpful and suggested some great places to visit for the short time I had in Stockholm. Highly recommend this place!

• Small Double Room

Room is little bit hot and there should be some ventilation. Would be better, if you could provide an electric kettle for hot water.

I liked the hotel as it is very near to the station and there are so many restaurants near by. the breakfast offered was awesome. Friendly staff and helpful. Value for money.

• Small Single Room

My single bed bedroom was really really small but I wasn't there to sit in my room so I coped.

The breakfast was one of the tastiest I have had for a long time! Location was excellent with underground close by but I also comfortably walked to the Old Town, City Hall and other major attractions.

We had an amazing Christmas staying at Hotel Hellsten in Stockholm. There were a variety of foods for breakfast. The hotel had beautiful decor and it was in a great location, not too close to the city centre but just the right distance away from it. The hotel has a lovely quiet bar and overall the hotel had really nice helpful staff. Helpful quirky free little amenities such as umbrellas, reading glasses, slippers and dressing gowns. Would definitely visit again!

• Double or Twin Room

Asian style interior, cosy atmostphere and not noisy at all ! Great location 20 min by feet from Gramla Stan. Really easy to come from Arlanda Airport : inbound we took the bus as we arrived a bit late (no risk to be stuck in traffic and still the cheapest solution) which drops you at the central station (15 min walking distance) but we took a Uber instead for 10€. Really recommend this place.

It is definitelly not 4 stars as declared, maybe 3. Hotel is nice, but rooms and bathrooms are very small, bed a bit too short, lift looks like a cargo one. Breakfast ok, but still not 4 stars standard.

Nice personnel, very good location not far from the old town.

• Double or Twin Room

* My room looked different from what I see on their photos * WiFi signal was not strong enough for my smartphone - it was disconnecting time to time (still strong enough for my laptop) * Rather poor ventilation - by the morning it's already not very comfortable to breathe. I kept the window open a bit. (The temperature outside was about 0 degrees, but heating was OK and the temperature in the room was OK for sleeping) * A bit strange "style" and "decorations" like old damaged furniture and damaged doors. They seem to consider this as a "feature", not as a "bug" - may be they play with the word "hell" in their name :) . E.g. it looks like they've intentionally placed an old, quite damaged cupboard in the hallway. It's empty and there seem to be no actual reason to keep it there. It's old, but not that old and cute to talk about its "historical and cultural value". They also got a nice window in the elevator - so that you can have a look at an old rough brick wall - the same style, but this window is a good example of this "style", which actually looks like a nice decoration. Some "examples" look worse. Doors and some furniture in my room had something in common with this "style" as well - old far-from-perfectly-painted wooden window, one of the chairs and the table were also a bit like that. This looks a bit scary when you walk in first, like "emm... is this an old 1-2 star place"? Some of their photos do show "old damaged stuff", but they choose good examples, of course - those that actually look more like decorations, while my impression was that most of them look more like a "just an old damaged stuff". Still, even this "old damaged stuff" is clean and fully functional and not actually causing any inconvenience. So, after a short while I felt OK and cosy. * A bit hard to find the hotel itself.

* very clean. Even under the furniture and etc. * good location (I was looking for the closest to KTH) * good bathroom (even though it might look a bit small at first) * good temperature control. And it's possible to adjust it. (Other guys, staying in the nearby "best western" hotel, said it's too cold in their room.) * friendly staff

• Reviewed: 16 December 2017

• Small Double Room

The hotel rooms you get to book on booking.com are about half the size of Hellsten's standard rooms, mostly around the elevator and pretty noisy...I thought this was great value for money when I booked, but in fact what I payed for was a chicken scoop.

Great place, cool atmosphere (jazz club), wonderful staff.

• Small Double Room

Booked small double - didn’t realise just how small that would be. Next time would go up a level.

Great location, breakfast and comp tea and coffee nice touch. Also liked the decor.

• Small Double Room

The room seemed used and sparsely decorated. Everything seemed a bit basic in the room. Power tripped in the room when the bathroom heating cables were switched on.

Excellent breakfast. Great Staff and good facilities. amazing bathroom

• Small Single Room

The room was extremely small; it was so small that I could not even put my suitcase on the floor without stumbling across it. There was no wardrobe in the room and hence also no place to put your clothes. The room had a window right to the breakfast area. Hence, there was noise from around 5:45am onwards and I woke up.

• Small Double Room

The bathroom was quite compact, but it wouldn't put us off staying there again.

The hotel had a nice decor, with exposed wooden beams in the room. We liked the availability of free tea and coffee downstairs in the waiting area, which was a nice way to relax after a day of sightseeing. Lovely little bar. Great selection of food at breakfast. Friendly staff. Within walking distance of Old Town and the central station, which is convenient if you are taking the express train from the airport. There's also an underground station very close by to the hotel (only two stops from the central station).

• Small Double Room

The sauna is quite little, it is necessary to book it. Also the restroom is little but with all the necessary.

In the city center, beautiful hotel, good coffee area. Services are very good, and the staff is always gentle and polite. The hotel lend umbrellas if needed. The WiFi connection is very powerful.

• Double or Twin Room

Very friendly and helpful staff. I recommend booking the taxi to the airport through the hotel, they have a contracted rate of 390 SEK, cheaper than most companies direct.

• Double or Twin Room

Very helpful staff, excellent breakfast with a huge selection, lovely bar, very comfortable room, upgrade to the double superior if you can as it has a four poster bed and a sauna!!! 5min walk from the metro which takes you into town in less than 10mins. Buy a 24hr ticket from the shop next to the metro for about 120kr as you can use this on all transport. Perfect location to get around all the sites of Stockholm.

• Double or Twin Room

Room was located in the basement and was quite cold and dark. There was no proper wardrobe for hanging clothes and no proper business desk.

Breakfast was nice and the building seems to have a lot of history and personality. Room was spacious and bathroom even had a sauna, which was quite unexpected and nice.

• Double or Twin Room

The rooms are very small,wardrobe is too small also and it is difficult to unpack your luggage.wellnes is very small..in one hand is private and on the other hand you have to book in advance..you haven t a bathrobe and slippers on the room and I think for 4 stars hotel shoud be normal.

The hotel is situated in the centre,very good position and the breakfast was perfect,you can find everything what you like

• Double or Twin Room

Room was a little too small for two people to comfortably exist with 2 suitcases!

Staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Great location right next to an underground line and just a short 20 minutes walk to central station.

• Small Double Room

Booked the hotel for my husband's 30th birthday and we were not disappointed! Room was lovely and cosy especially when travelling in November. All the staff were incredibly friendly offering us recommendations when we needed them. The breakfast was delicious every day, lovely fresh buffet in a nice conservatory, what more can you ask for. We were so close to all the sites of Stockholm - I think the furthest we had to walk was about half an hour. There are a number of fantastic restaurants in the vicinity of the hotel as well! All in all cannot fault it at all, great trip.

• Small Double Room

Small rooms, no space for luggage/clothes

Nice decorations, warm design. Good visibility with flag outside. Felt like coming home. Good breakfast, very friendly staff, great location!

• Double or Twin Room

The shower IN the bath was almost dangerous. The bath was narrow and not easy to keep a good stance while showering.

The hotel is a good walk from the center of town with a number of cheaper places to eat in the general neighbourhood. Breakfast was plentiful and well balanced. Our room was a very nice, comfortable 'old style' with the 4 poster bed and plenty of charm. The bathroom was modern & clean. We were able to open the windows to get fresh air - delightful :)

• Small Double Room

The place was amazing. The sauna room was spectacular and there's a gym — which is rare in a boutique like this in Europe. The staff was wonderful and the bed was comfortable. I'll definitely stay there next time I'm in Stockholm.

• Double or Twin Room

The accommodation was provided with a room below the required standards, although they changed it after the notification The TV has only 11 digital channels, all Swedish. On leaving, the breakfast offered was just a small sandwich and a banana although a full breakfast was paid

Breakfast was good and varied. Cleanliness was done daily and impeccably. The hotel is also very close to the center and the means of transport and it's very helpful to have tea and coffee at your discretion, especially in winter.

Safety not the best. At night the door to the street is unlocked, and several times when I came home there was no one at the reception. Not that the area is particularly unsafe, but still strange. More wardrobe space for hanging shirts/dresses in the room would be useful

Great breakfast, not huge but what's there is good Fun rooms with personality Easy access to public transport and several restaurants nearby

• Small Double Room

Only one thing was parking. It was okay to park underground but hotel has only 2 keys so I had to ask to get key when I coming and going to my car.

It is quite nice location to go to city center and there are many well known restraunts near hotel. And this hotel provided delicious breakfast by kind staffs :D

• Double or Twin Room

First bedroom was very airless and we were moved to a room where we could open the window. However, both rooms were small.

The breakfasts were good and the staff were friendly and helpful.

Browse Hotel Hellsten traveller photo gallery