Reviews of Scandic Europa 4 stars

Nils Ericsonsgatan 21, Centrum, 411 03 Gothenburg, Sweden

#39 of 70 hotels in Gothenburg

• Superior Family Room

The beds.... You could feel every metal spring. Booked a room with four "beds". I dont recommend this room if you are 4 adults. Horrible comfort.

Location was very good

• Family Room

Fantastic location, friendly staff who spoke perfect English, breakfast selection was great, gym/sauna and pool included in price, room was clean.

• Family Room

Very nice breakfast buffet. Wide selection to satisfy EU and US tastes. Excellent coffee cakes! Easy walking distance from Central Train Station, Old Town, Haga.

• Standard Triple Room

The location is perfect close to Central station Shopping mall and Supermarket! Basic stuff such as soap shampoo and towel are provided. Breakfast is reqlly nice. There are variety of choice to choose. The sofa bed is ok.

• Family Room

New bartender was not professional. There was just one customer in the bar when I came in. He served seven customers who arrived after me first. 15 min after long working day feels long.

Excellent location, great breakfast, great bartender who remembered me after 2 months and gave immediately right drink(unfortunately this man was there during my last visit).

• Family Room

The indoor swimming pool (a key reason why I booked this property) was a let down. Super small in size and no temperature controlled water - didn't venture in it the second time

The location was splendid - central to public transportation & shopping. Staff was super friendly.

The room was not cleaned in time, came back in the afternoon and it still wasn't ready. The restaurant was uncomfortably crowded at breakfast. The coffee from the machines is not good at all!

The person making the waffles was the happiest ever, her energy was contagious and made the long wait for good waffles worthy.

• Superior Family Room

Extra sofa beds are quite hard and uncomfy. The lady receptionist seemed to be irritated when I'm about to check-in and she forgot to give the parking card to me, so we needed to go back and asked for that again.

Breakfast is ok and we get to check-in earlier.

The cleaner was a little rude when I told her that she didn’t need to clean my room. The room was tidy and I was leaving the next day, so I did not feel the need for the room to be cleaned.

Staff were extremely friendly and I felt like I really fitted in with the Swedish. The decor of the hotel was very contemporary and Scandinavian.

No watercooker etc. in the room. We were two families staying at the hotel and we asked for rooms on the same level when we booked but we got rooms on diffrent levels👎🏻

The breakfest and that the hotel is so close to the train and other cominications

I understand the hotel wants to be more ecologic friendly, however the basic necessities must be provided. I myself have worked in the industry as hotel manager and I believe amenities are a must. Regardless of it being a 5-Star hotel or a roadside motel. I was very impressed there was no such thing in the whole establishment as body lotion or hair conditioner. Not in the bathroom, not in the "hotel store" and not even for purchase at the front desk. My wife was not the biggest fan of this. NYE dinner was very good, except for the restaurant staff who seemed somehow careless and VERY slow. The dinner was supposed to start at 19.00 and finish at 21.00 but for some reason we sat and waited for 1 hour and a half just to be served the entreé. 3 hours more went by before we were done with our dessert. We also asked for an ice bucket and one of the waiters just turned and said "no" in the most un-respectful way.

Great breakfast, very friendly and helpful staff (at the reception, restaurant staff not so much). We stayed over for NYE dinner at HAK and everything regarding the food was incredible, very good kitchen staff. Bed was really comfortable and room was well equipped with a small closet, ironing board and TV with HDMI (which was perfect for a Netflix hangover day).

The location is great, beside Nordstan Mall, near Central station and lots of restaurant nearby! Comfortable bed with nice view from my room window. Buffet breakfast w/ nice selection of food. Requested for early check-in which hotel accommodated hassle free. Thanks a lot!

Reception staff require more training in what ought to be pretty basic matters. They are the “front of the house team” and must be seen to be on the ball with all issues. There are some smart staff in the restaurant whom can do and answer questions that Concierge cannot!

The bar & restaurant are super cool and trendy, caters for ALL age groups. Comfortable beds, wifi ok, breakfast by Scandic is one of the best in Sweden.

• Superior Family Room

The bathroom in our room wasn't as clean as I would have liked. The toilet was not brushed and flushed.

The breakfast buffet was excellent. I have not seen a better breakfast buffet in Göteborg -- either in a hotel or a restaurant. The view from our room was perfect... we could see fireworks in the distance, which was perfect for us.

The room were too cold, the breakfast was ok but I have been there before and the breakfast was no where near as inice as it Has been. Nothing was open till the 27 December, we couldn’t even get a drink At the bar Christmas Day. Not a great experience this time. We had to ring a buzzer to be let in every time we left - why? The revolving doors did not work till the 27 December.

The staff were very helpful at reception. It’s a great location.

Booked a double room. We arrived at 22h. But it was only one pillow and one blanket. The staff fixed it on request. The room was prepaid for 2 people.

One could hear all night the noise from the exhaust system from the mall next door and there was a strong smell of fried food in the room. Problems with the bathtub, which was not properly sealed with silicone. The water run trough the joints soaking the bathroom floor. It is definitely not worthy of 4 stars. Terrible ratio quality-price. The only plus its location, but there lots of other hotels very close to the train station. I felt cheated by the positive reviews this hotel had.

Room temperature- couldnt turn the air con off in winter. Most stressful breakfast experience ever- had to queue for everything. Sauna not that warm.

A bit crowded at breakfast time. Music in the bar is on the loud side.

The location is perfect for visiting Gothenburg. Close to the train station, trams and buses and walking distance to main shops.

• Standard Triple Room

In our first room there was only a very small wardrobe, we were three adults and a baby, so our clothes filled everything. For the last two nights we got another, very comfortable room with enough space to move for the baby and perfect wardrobes. We paid a bit more for this.

The breakfast was a dream. The Hotel is located in the city center.

I couldn't adjust the temperature in the room, although I adjusted the regulator, it did not seem to be working. First impression of the property, was busy and the reception area had a fishy smell

Service was good and staff were accommodating

The rooms are extremely small, which is okay for a single night, but probably no more than that. There is no refrigerator, making it difficult to keep food with which you may be travelling. View overlooked a shopping centre walkway. Again, okay for a night.

Breakfast was excellent, as was dinner at the in-house restaurant. Location is perfect for exploring Gothenburg, and makes it easy to get to hire cars or connecting trains from central station. Shower was hot, and bed was comfortable. Lobby was nicely designed and sets a pleasant ambience inside the hotel. Staff were also very friendly and profressional.

The common spaces (corridor, swimming pool, etc...) are really old fashion. The room also could be refurbished. The air extractor in the bathroom was really noisy. I had to stuff it at night with a towel to be able to sleep.

The bed and the room were comfy. The location is perfect for transportation. The Breakfast was correct, yet under the competition average in Gothenburg area. The sauna and the swimming pool were appreciable

The dinner in the restaurant

We had a small chicken for dinner in the restaurant one night and I was not impressed other things on the menu could have been a better choice. Breakfast buffet was excellent.

Did not like the fact that were people smoking right outside the glass doors.

Location was convenient. But the hotel is very crowded, was not aware that this is your biggest hotel. Breakfast was good, we were always able to find a spot to sit.

Be aware that if you are a Scandic rewards member, you don't get any points if you book through a website such as this...

Delicious breakfast with plenty of choice, good coffee and perfect soft boiled eggs! There is a small pool and sauna on the sixth floor, which was quiet and relaxing.

The staff were really friendly and helpful - including reception and cleaning staff. There was lots of choice for breakfast, flexible times (you can have a cold breakfast from 4am). Room was a good size, the bed was comfortable and there was a good sized desk (with a light) to do some work. The pool was a bonus.

We had a perfect time, the room was incredible and the bed so confortable!!!! We left very early in the morning before the breakfast at the restaurant start so next to the front desk we could have some food and take it with us. The staff were kind and helpful.

Not a hotel for motorbikers because of the parking place. It is a bit dangerous to go with big motorbike, high narrow way up to 6th floor; gates do not react...

Well situated, in a big mall in downtown.

I cannot complain about anything, honestly. Perhaps, if one must list something, I can say that I wish that the bedsheets were bigger but they were enough as they are. It is insignificant. Overall, everything was excellent and I would return any time.

I paid for bed and breakfast and the food was excellent. Some of my favourite things were the free wifi in the room and the tv. And the welcome hand-written note and free fruit, chocolates and beverages were the "cherry on the cake" for that extra special touch. And, of course, the staff at the reception were always very kind, friendly, and helpful. Housekeeping was excellent and I left them a tip of appreciation.

Some hairs left from the previous costumer(s) in the bathroom.

Very competent and welcoming staff. Well equipped bed- and bathroom. Large and wonderful breakfast buffet. Located near the city centre.

Clean staff didn't come the first day. No soap in the shower for 1 day despite 2 notices to the reception. Sauna smelly and floor to the swimming pool dirty.

Well located. Good breakfast.

• Superior Family Room

The restaurant at the evening was beyond all criticism. Cold pasta bolognese and hard pancakes for the kids as part of a children buffé (very disappointing when the hotel did so well in other areas regarding the kids). The hamburger we adults ordered was really not up to standard either: hard and dry brioche bread and rather unpleasant sauce for dipping the fries that has the consistency of milk. But the worst by far was the staff. Once we placed the food order we had to chase them to order anything else. At one point I stood up to ask one of the waiters (a man that didn't seem to be busy at all and mostly walked around the dining area) if we could order som drinks. He was doing the mise en place of a table in a half empty restaurant when I approached him. His answer was "in five minutes" without even looking at me. 5, 10, 20 minutes passed and the man kept walking around without bothering to take our order or get other waiter to take it. I approached the restaurant's bar where another younger waiter was filling up some beer glasses and waited to be aknowledged. After 10 minutes standing in front of the guy with no response from him we left the restaurant. Without any doubt one of the worst service experiences I have ever had. The cleanliness of the room was not up to standards either. Dusty shelves and no attention to detail (the hairdryer was full of black fingerprints). The room had two sofa beds for the kids which were the most uncomfortable beds one can sleep in. No adult would have managed to sleep on them.

The front office staff was very helpful and welcoming. They did a great job. The hotel was very family oriented with a great playroom, small presents for the kids and even a mascot that visited the breakfast dining area every morning.

• Standard Triple Room

Parking it is a problem in this place, although the location allow park in front for drop off, the traffic/location of the parking spot s quite inconvenient! At least was summer.

We were with a wheelchair children and the booking begets confirm the special needs room! That was Our first time on the specific room what was great, but the booking.com is very deficient on this aspect!!! Our first time on SCANDIC hotel was very disappointing! This was a good second chance.

• Family Room

They put us on the party floor and we couldn't sleep for 2 night, we did talk to the staff about it serval times and they did NOTHING ! They didn't even apologize, on the third night we insisted on getting a new room since we did not pay all this money for staying awake and they fixed it but still not happy with the staff or our experience. Not worth it!

Breakfast was good and location was ok

The room is a bit small and compact. you get everything u need, but I've stayed in bigger room of Scandic in Stockholm. The standard room really just fits for two people and your luggages. And it was very cold at night because of the blower (tried to increase the temperature but it didn't work)

I like the breakfast a LOT! It was in a super chic restaurant, with a LOT of choices of food. And i love the way they arrange the food in the breakfast, and trust me, it tasted so good!

Room cleaning was not great--by the end of my 6 day stay, the floor should have been swept at least once--it was not. Sometimes tea/coffee was refreshed, sometimes not

nice to have the option of a hypoallergenic room. Windows were good quality to keep out noise.

• Family Room

- The price - over 2 100 SEK/room/night is overpriced! - I missed tea/coffee facilities in a room - Overcrowded restaurant during the breakfast time - one had to search for a long time where to sit - The restaurant has closed at 11 pm - a bit too early for weekend

- Location - in the city centre, across the railway station, walk-able distance to all the main attractions - Staff - nice, helpful, smiling to you - Well-managed evacuation during the reported fire (though it was very unpleasant and stressful experience)

• Family Room

Juice and coffee options at breakfast could be better.

The location and staff is excellent. Breakfast the biggest I ever saw. Beds good but not excellent.

The pool was COLD! My littles braved through it with chattering teeth through their swim. It was a little far from Lindberg- where we ended up spending the day. Public transportation is available.

The atmosphere was"hip", modern. The restaurant was expensive, but there were more affordable places nearby. It's situated right next to a mall- great shopping.

The indoor swimming pool was way too small . No much point in swimming there.

Very central. The stuff was friendly. Wifi worked everywhere. Breakfast top!

• Superior Family Room

The Pool was not as expected. The saunas didn't work. The extra beds for the kids were not comfy. The restaurant was not quick to help us get seated so we ended up going outside. Parking information was not very precise. Cleaning was not as expected. (Coffee cups were not replaced and the bin was not emptied)

The size of the room was fine. Check-in was quick. Breakfast was nice.

• Family Room

Rooms were very small and conjusted even for a family of 3...

Breakfast and facilities. This location is just in the heart of the city and easy access to trains and buses.

No fridge in the room and parking is not available but need to use Nearby shopping mall one. Also getting breakfast during peak hour was horrendous. No place to sit! also poor coffee in the breakfast and no other choice of cappuccino etc.

Location is good if coming by public transport.

The rooms are very small.We booked a room with 3 beds for 3 adults but the room was unable to accomodate 3 adults.There were 2 beds and a sofa bed which meant there was insufficient room for luggage. We were forced to hire an additional single bed room.This was disappointing.

Property was located close to Central Station and city centre

• Family Room

Very big hotel that lacks personality. In a Shopping mall. Swimming pool was too cold.

Good breakfast brunch. Quiet rooms despite being in a shopping mall.

Proximity to Central Station, Opera House area, good shops (many malls in case the weather is indifferent), major tram and bus interconnections, canal boats etc. Staff in the hotel could not have been more helpful - cheerful with it. Very good choices at breakfast - start the day right!

There is no mat at the bathroom, no flip flops either.

The breakfast was incredible!! Very nice place with pool and gym on the 6th floor. Very central point.

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

• Family Room

The restaurant and breakfast staff, careless of timeliness to make the tables when it got crowded. The male receptionist who greeted us as we checked in, surprinsingly unwelcoming, contrary to his colleagues who were so kind and helpful.

Perfect location and excellent breakfast assortment.

The room was a bit cold and there was no way to rise the heating.

The breakfast was included and it was nice. Good choice and generous. Not super, but it's still very good, considering it's included. At the bar they have a remarkable choice of beers, not trivial ones, but also craft and good local ones. The restaurant of the hotel is also quite good, despite the limited choice: just a few alternatives per course, on Sundays the selection is even shorter.

there was a step at entrance of bathroom in my room- kept banging my toe & room was cold- there was a draft? not sure about other rooms?

service- staff- hotel- BREAKFAST was great!

1. The front offfice at check in was rude. I did not understand swedish and he just keep speaken in it, instead of English. 2. On booking.com it says that the hotel has aircondition and it does, but not one that you can control yourself. Its controlled somewhere for the whole hotel, and it was actually really cold in the room, so we had to get a heater. 3. On booking.com its stated that check out is 12:00 PM but its actually 11:00 AM. 4. The food in HAK's restaurant needs some improvement. Please check that the food is actually "warm/hot" before serving it.

• Reviewed: 1 March 2017

• Family Room

The ventilation system was blowing cold air and there was no way to stop it.

Bed was comfy, room was clean. Extra heater was provided immediately on asking. Slippers too.

• Reviewed: 14 February 2017

Not too much to complain. Cold air coming from under the door in the bathroom (not very nice in winter). Rather small room, however it seems to be a standard in Sweden.

Great variety of food for breakfast. Nice restaurant and bar in the hotel. Ironing stuff in the room. Apples&oranges for free, ice cube machines. Small poool and sauna. Very nice staff at the reception.

• Reviewed: 7 February 2017

The bed is small.The comforter is short. There is already noise of ventilation.A few room have kettle.

Delicious breakfast. But the same menu everyday. The location of the hotel is the best. It is convenient wherever you go.

• Reviewed: 7 January 2017

Pet friendly. Lovely breakfast. Lovely staff, very helpful. We got some noisy neighbours who wanted to party - and was moved to a nice quiet location. Excellent solution.

The room wasn't very clean (stains on the mirrors and the floor); when I opened a closet, I found sb's old training shoes (!!!), which says a lot about how the rooms are checked/cleaned. Fortunately, the bathroom and the bed itself were clean. Also, there is a rather poor choice of fruit for breakfast, so if you are suffering from allergies/stomach problems, that is not too nice. Finally, a small bottle of mineral water in the room (as it happens in most - even much cheaper - hotels) wouldn't hurt.

The bathroom is really comfortable, with good light, which is great. The staff is super friendly and very nice. I preferred a room with black/grey decoration and that was perfectly arranged.

• Reviewed: 20 December 2016

• Standard Triple Room

Rooms a bit dark - fits with atmosphere of hotel but hard to see sometimes! Duvets a bit skimpy , had to ask for a second one for my son.

Breakfast buffet was great, loved the Christmassy atmosphere - candle light at breakfast

• Reviewed: 26 October 2016

• Standard Triple Room

It was weird to me that the air condition in the room was blowing cold air so the room wasn't warm! When I asked the reception they told me that they couldn't change it because it was controlled from a central machine. At least they were nice enough to offer me extra blankets. Another drawback is that there was a very small closet in the room. I don't know about the rest of the rooms but we had a room for three and there was no place to empty our luggages. Luckily we were there for one night so it wasn't a big problem but if a family go there for more days they will have a problem.

It's right opposite of the central station and in general the location is amazing. Clean rooms, nice environment but the best thing was the breakfast! They have anything one can ask for the perfect breakfast.

• Family Room

The rooms are really sad! Colourless, uncharming and walls in rooms are full of kick marks, nail polish and scratches and in acute need of a coat of paint. No water boiler (coffee/tea), no minibar.

Common areas were nice, good breakfast and nice staff - child friendly.

• Reviewed: 7 October 2016

• Standard Triple Room

Breakfast is very good,there's many kind of food. The location is very convenient, just near the main station and Nordstan shopping mall. The room is modern and clean.

• Reviewed: 29 September 2016

Sunday morning breakfast ran out off deserts quite early and nobody seemed to care. Everyone was more interested in clearing away things than making sure even the late guests were happy. Otherwise everything went great over the three days so it was a shame this was our last experience of the hotel and it's staff.

Everyone was really nice and helpfull, very good service.

• Reviewed: 18 September 2016

• Family Room

the great variety of things in the breakfast , ranging from salty to sweet, placing the hotel among the best I've ever stayed. The position is excellent for visit the city and for catching the pubblic transport.

• Family Room

Bedroom window faced a horrible building top so you didn't want to open the very ugly drapes. Walls were thin

Location, breakfast, bathrooms were good

• Reviewed: 12 September 2016

• Superior Family Room

The attention to detail of the cleaning in our room was lacking. We had to clean a bit ourselves so we felt more comfortable in our room.

Breakfast buffet was excellent!

• Reviewed: 11 September 2016

• Family Room

1.Breakfast buffet is too too simple with this high price. 2. The employees have no patient to explain for us where is parking place (we are first coming to Goteborg) 3. The room is not very clean, I even find someone's hair in the bathroom wall. I think that I will never come back to this hotel again.

Location is very good

• Reviewed: 10 September 2016

• Family Room

Having Tea and coffee facilities in the rooms would have helped. The swimming pool area is too enclosed with no natural lights and the bottom is painted green, making it even darker.

Great options for breakfast, the bacon was crispy and nice.

• Reviewed: 31 August 2016

Not a thing.

Great location! Across from train station, a shopping mall next door, and close to tour bus and several sights. The staff was outstanding! The breakfast was the best on my whole 17 day trip! Tremendous choices! Fantastic job! Will definitely stay here again!

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

• Superior Family Room

The car park was in the mall about 200 meters away and in the 6 floor the doors was closed at midnight so you have to go by stairs and some people followed me that was scary

Nice and clean and comfortable The breakfast was unbelievable I never seen somethings like it and it's next to the mall it was good staying in this hotel

• Reviewed: 25 August 2016

• Superior Family Room

Over all it was great, there was a few things that could be better. Room was little bit dusty and cups was dirty... The spaire beds wasnt very comfortable and could have done with some over layer. But just about works for small kids. It was very dark in the pool and could do with some lighting. It would have been nuce if the room service menue had some simple options for kids as toasties or sandwiches. But over all it was a great visit and we wouldn't hesitate to book again!

Fantastic breakfast, perfect location and great to have a pool and sauna for an evening swim and play with the kids. Rooms was what i would expect.

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

• Family Room

We are humans always trying to find something bad:) however I want to tell suggestion. 1. Could be little bit cheaper then offered price 2. Room shelfs can be more user friendly Thanks

Great location, excellent breakfast and clean room.

• Reviewed: 31 July 2016

The pool didn't open until 10am. Too late for an early morning swim.

Sumptuous breakfast that lasted from 6:30 until 11am. Convenient location across from the railway and bus station.

• Reviewed: 28 July 2016

The band was only booked for 2 separate hours on Saturday afternoon then at 6.00. We had reserved a table for 7.30 hoping it was on all night the band finished at 7.00

The breakfast was a Massive buffet with everything possible that you might want. Worth going just for the breakfast. It took over the entire restaurant with assorted meats, breads, fruits, drinks, pastries, cooked breakfast , gluten free, biscuits, toast, cerials, salads, etc

• Reviewed: 27 July 2016

There is no place close to the hotel to park the car to unload and load luggage. When we arrived there was no place to park and a police attendant asked us to move. When checking in there was a long queue and not enough desk attendants.

The breakfast had plenty of variety and provided good choices. We would like to recognize Hanna. She was an excellent barista and was very helpful to us.

• Reviewed: 24 July 2016

Room slightly cramped, with no tea and coffee in the room.

Staff very helpful and friendly. Really good breakfast, plenty of choice and well prepared. Room was clean, quiet and everything worked.

Browse Scandic Europa traveller photo gallery