Reviews of Scandic Opalen 4 stars

Engelbrektsgatan 73, Centrum, 402 23 Gothenburg, Sweden

#56 of 70 hotels in Gothenburg

No need to change towels everyday. Breakfast is average. One day the juice had flies in it! Really lower than standard levels of quality. Some times it was really busy during rush hour in the breakfast area and the lobby (impossible to catch an elevator).

Gym & spa was nice. Really clean.

Access for car parking not clear enough - needs more detail with booking documents.

Within easy walking distance of the city attractions. Good view from upper rooms.

• Standard Quadruple Room

Breakfast facilities very limited seating and chaotic. Unpleasant experience and bad start to the day.

Centrally located, comfy bed. Clean room, warm bathroom.

It was such a charming stay, I wouldn't change a thing.

The hotel staff were the friendliest I have experienced in the past several years. They were so accommodating. They were fluent in English, which also helped. Breakfast was lovely and the breakfast areas were bright and cheerful. Located close to many restaurants. Just a wonderful stay.

• Standard Quadruple Room

The breakfast it was not so good but it was OK for the money what what we spent

Hotel it was amazing the view of the room wonderful Very friendly hotel very clean

The kitchen staffs looks like they are not happy with their lives. Their Eyes are so dark even you just ask question about some serving spoon. Not so willing to help. Doesnt even says a single Word. One specifically was very rude. We were there April 14th in the morning to eat breakfast. The one who were fixing the food, serving spoon that morning was so rude and should find somewhere else to work. She was in her 40's and definitely not Swedish.

The staffs att the reception are so helpful and very nice. Its our anniversary so they upgraded our room into premium with bigger room and with panorama view at the higher level. When we got in to our room, there are 2 bottles of White wine with 2 wine glasses and 1 big bowl of my favourite delicious fruits (almost like they asked me what are my favourite fruits are) and on the top of it are plenty of delicious chocolates. They really made our stay and anniversary memorable! Thank you sooo much!!!

My room was so small that I had a hard time moving around. Just the bed and and a small desk. It's not excellent in terms of value for money, then again Sweden is an expensive country.

I liked the helpful and polite attitude of the staff. The room was clean and comfortable. Location is great: Walking distance to the Swedish Conference Center, Gothia Towers, the Avenyn. Breakfast was rich with strong fresh coffee.

Absence of minibar in the room, though compensated by the little shop at the reception.

The rooms are comfortable, silent, and well equipped with all the little details one may need to have a perfect functionality, despite not that big. Friendly and helpfull staff at the reception. The location is a good compromise between being close to the center (with a 5min walk you reach Kungsportsavenyen) and being close to the ring for exiting from the city.

-Breakfast was very crowded -Room and TV were small, limited TV channels

-Lots of variety at the breakfast -Check-in was very easy -Not far from airport bus

I expected more from the breakfast and setting. Crowded breakfast venue made it hard to find a place to sit and enjoy my morning yogurt with defrosted fruit toppings...

Super friendly and accommodating staff.

Not clean, towel bad smell even when change it not like towel of the gym,and only 2, small bathroom no bathroom equipment like shoes and small towels, breakfast not tasty and fresh compare with money value

Location only

There was a mismatch of expectations - because I was paying more than at budget hotels in Gothenburg, I expected more but the room was very small and cramped. There is nowhere to put your case and they had left a large ironing board in the small space where you are suppose to hang your clothes and there is no easy chair. They don't usually provide a bath mat for the bathroom floor but when I asked for one I got it everyday - so they were responsive to my request. The common areas and the dining room were not warm enough and the seating is not cosy either. I had to wear my coat and scarf inside and as there is nowhere to sit in the bedroom it was disappointing. The hotel looks very nice from the outside so I was expecting more, hence my disappointment.

The location was good and it was not too crowded at the hotel eg. the lift came quickly and you could get your breakfast quickly without having to wait for a lot of people

We're kind of over the whole scrum at breakfast thing but it was popular.

Near the activities we wanted to be near to, room was clean, on the small side but adequate for one night's stay. The restaurant had a children's buffet but that wasn't so "fräsch" by the time we got there.

• Standard Twin Room Plus

I did not like the running around by kids in the corridors at night, or the noise from other guests, a bit too loud, less respect, It was very untidy in the breakfast room, they could have cleaned the tables faster. I felt it was like waiting for tables due to this/ not so good, a bit too slow, not what I would expect. I was a bit disappointed by service in the hotel, It could do with more focus on improvements in this area,

Breakfast was good, very good variety. the bed and room fulfilled my expectations.

everything was great , but the coffee on the breakfast was horrible, i even tried the second dispenser because i thought it was something wrong with the machine , but no same bad coffee . After that i asked the staff if they could make an espresso - they said no . I was prepared to pay extra for decent coffee . With international clients you can't serve coffee like that, the whole experience fell on this !

The room we booked was small, but everything was well designed. We got an excellent street view. The location was perfect (close to everything yet quite) and the breakfast was great. The staff was kind and helpful. We will be back!

• Queen Room

While it is outside the control of the staff, our room was in the same floor with a lot of hyper children that made it very difficult for us to relax. Our room was also a little too small with not enough space to put our luggage and not even a wardrobe. Perhaps taking into consideration the length of stay of the customers would be advisable.

Very kind staff and a very beautiful and well maintained environment. Ideal for leisure and business trips I'd dare say and judging by the amount of families, I would say it's family friendly too. The breakfast is absolutely amazing and the rooms were cozy.

• Standard Twin Room Plus

One exception to the great breakfast is the juices. Not fresh, very watery.

Quiet and cosy rooms, very comfortable bed. Amazing breakfast! Very helpful and friendly staff

The staff in the restaurant were incredibly rude and didn't speak English - Scandic is a huge hotel chain so found this very surprising. I ordered food in the restaurant because there was no room service - I was then accused of not paying my bill because the front desk had not asked for my credit card - this was in front of a 10-15 other diners. My food arrived and was shoved at me. I then had to carry the tray laiden with drinks to my room, the same man who was rude to me watched as I did this and did not offer to help.

I was offered a late check out which was great. However, I was greeted with loud banging on my hotel room door at ten past 3 (ten minutes after my agreed check out) by a very angry, eye rolling. member of housekeeping. She was very aggressive and angry and completely inappropriate. A phone call from the front desk would have been more appropriate.

• Queen Room

Breakfast was really good, the lady who checked me in was great too, though on the last night one of the ladies on reception wasn't very pleasant. Location is really good, access to Liseberg and the city centre is an easy walk away

• Queen Room

I didnt like when a staff (a man) who welcome us at reception desk give me a weird looking as a foreigner and his all behavoiur and acts like he didnt give much care about the hotel guests.

Bed is small.

Very nice breakfast,must try. 30 mins to airport. Very good location. Walking distance to many scenic spots, super markets and restaurants. Room is big and confortable. Nice window view. Staffs are very nice and helpful.

• Queen Room

I found it weird there was no fridge in the room, which is just frustrating. The rooms are tiny, hard to put your case down then move around. I broke a glass purely from popping it on the bathroom counter and turning around. There is no power near the kettle so that went next to the bed. There is no air in the fitness centre. This hotel is OK but probably the 'worst' rated from our month long vacation, in terms of facilities and space.

The bed wad comfy and having access to fitness centre, pool and deck was great. Breakfast options were varied.

• Standard Twin Room

I had booked a room on the first floor since I don't take elevators. Not until I got there did they tell me they had a lot of construction going on. Had to move to 7th floor.....to get away from the concrete drills. Could not hear myself think! 7th floor was actually 9th since conference halls occupied 1st and 2nd. Walked 9 floors up and down the whole time.

• Reviewed: 19 August 2017

• Single Room with Sofa Bed

The passage way to the guest rooms are not well maintained. Ice maker machine out of order most of the time.

Reception personnel is friendly and helpful. The breakfast foods ranges are varieties.

• Standard Twin Room

Just a minor remark: I expressed interest on the free bike rental but I couldn't enjoy it, since the availability was very low.

The room is comfortable and clean, and you can enjoy an amazing view from the top floors (I stayed at the 11th). Breakfast is very rich, although I couldn't always find the croissants. Public transportation is within easy reach.

• Queen Room

There was workmen on site, just below our room. It didn't affect us because they finished work as we arrived & started just before we left. If staying more than one night, it could have been a problem

Staff were very attentive & helpful

• Single Room with Sofa Bed

Housekeeping could've been more thorough. Building and appearance starting to look tatty and worn - sure it was great in it's heyday.

Nice, pleasant staff. Close to all amenities.

• Standard Quadruple Room

Breakfast was ok but not great - scrambled eggs were extremely runny and tasted odd. Little (no) variation over 3-night stay. Hotel was very crowded on first two nights due to a rock concert at nearby Ullevi stadium, which also meant that the hotel's parking lot (fee) was fuller than full (note: it's not possible to reserve a spot in advance!). Reception therefore pointed us to a parking lot 50 meters away (also full) so we ended up parking at a municipal (paid) parking garage two blocks away - and were broken into on the 2nd night and all our stuff stolen!!! Also negative: our room was not cleaned until 5 p.m. the first night (and then only after we complained) and not until 7 p.m.!!!! the second night (again, only after we complained). Also negative: a group of 20-somethings on our floor partied with loud music until midnight, robbing other guests of sleep but no one from the hotel came around to check/control. Not cool.

Location was great, right across the street from a movie theatre, between Ullevi stadium and Scandinavium, and within short walking distance to the main drag, Nordstan shopping center, and fab restaurants. Rooms clean and modern, relatively spacious.

• Standard Quadruple Room

Breakfast can have more variety of food - offer popular Asian dishes (i.e. dimsum, sushi, noodles) to liven up the spread and make it more international. Addition of pancakes and waffles would also help.

Excellent location - near tram, restaurants, grocery store, pharmacy, and football field/park. Staff are cordial and helpful, speak good English. Rooms are cozy. Housecleaning staff was helpful. Wifi was efficient.

• Single Room with Sofa Bed

The size of the room could have been more spacious, but we did book economy so I didn't have higher expectations.

The convenience of the location was perfect for our trip (very near to city and centre and to Liseberg). The hotel was very comfortable, and the breakfast options were vast.

• Queen Room

Just a bit the breackfast was not what we expected my point pf view this hotel is a very massive company in scandinavia so if the improve a little bit, more sweets products or the fruits was not ripe. Anyway overall Skandic is fantastic.

• Quadruple Room

Cancelled our book and gave out the room without informing us.

Due to a late arrive we are transferred to another chain hotel, it is not very pleasant At a late time with very tired three children. But we are happy to know that the hotel took the responsibility and did not charge us.

• Queen Room

The cleanliness could have been better. Throughout my stay, the room was not cleaned and new towels were only given after 2 days.

Bed and bathroom was much nicer and comfy than the photos on the website (We were on the 8th floor). The room was on the small side but pleasantly cosy. Breakfast variety was nice. Walking distance to the city centre. Very nice for a short stay.

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

• Queen Room

room was terrible (don't understand how could they name it "queen" room), bathroom dirty, breakfast one big disappointment, overall definitely not worth the value or 4-stars

• Queen Room

Vi var mycket nöjda eftersom vi blev uppgraderade. Hade vi fått det "queens" rum vi betalt för hade vi varit mycket missnöjda. Mycket trångt!

• Reviewed: 19 March 2017

• Queen Room

Okay.. Off to your room. Beware if you are sharing one. Its a bit small. (If one person lays on the bed the other can walk freely). The bed is comfy but also on the small sight. Ideal for cuddle-sleepers... if thats not you.. good luck. Same goes for the bathroom... one by one is the only option. Parking space is just outside the hotel.. but its not a lot and its not part of the hotel... you have to pay at the machine....

So, the lobby is great. Nice chairs and comfy couches. The wine and beer selection is fine.Get yourself some nuts, hook onto the free WIFI and enjoy your glass in the evenings. The hotel has a central location and a nice view. The water pressure in the shower is great and enough linnen is supplied. The staff is nice and helpfull.. they are more then happy to assist.

• Reviewed: 12 March 2017

• Single Room with Sofa Bed

Very small rooms, price too high compared to what the hotel offers, old-fashion lobby should be renovated, I do not recommend rooms with sofa.

Great breakfast, good location

• Reviewed: 13 November 2016

• Queen Room

The room and bed was a little small and parking was a pain unless you paid

The Staff is beyond AWESOME and HELPFUL! Breakfast was one of the best I have ever had. Right near downtown so you can walk.

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

• Family Room

The whole hotel would need a renovation. Rooms were not cleaned properly. The bathroom was unclean and worn out. There should have been more staff at breakfast as they did not manage to take away the dishes and clean the tables. The telephone did not work. We had to ask for toilett paper as well as extra towels.

Good location!

• Reviewed: 6 October 2016

• Family Room

Family room was very small. Beds were rock hard. Room was freezing needed electric heater. 'Hot food' at breakfast beans, eggs, beans and bacon were all cold. Food in restaurant overpriced for portions. The room is very old fashioned the pictures on the website are mainly for rooms that have been renovated. Make sure you know what you paying for. You can get fantastic rooms at the Radisson for less than you pay here. This may have been a great hotel in the 1980s, but it takes more than a few fancy chairs and photoshopped photos on a website to make a great hotel.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

• Standard Twin Room

Should have had an ice cube machine on our floor or a refrigerator at the room.

Nice, clean room just minues away from everything. And the online check-out is perfect.

• Reviewed: 22 August 2016

• Queen Room

bathroom drain was smelly and although I booked for 2 people, the bed was only made up for one! I had to get the spare duvet and pillows from the wardrobe and make the bed myself.

Comfy bed and great breakfast buffet.

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

• Single Room with Sofa Bed

Lifts did not operate very well. Many guests struggled to get the card keys working including myself. The hotel knows about this. Not always the cleanest hotel I have stayed in. Curtains let in too much light.

Friendly staff and helpful with late checkout. Location is very good and wi fi is good.

• Reviewed: 28 July 2016

• Queen Room

It took quite a long time to get served at the bar which was not particularly busy as it was a week-night.

The receptionists were great. Really friendly and helpful especially as we arrived 45 mins before check in time but we were still able to get access to one of the two booked rooms.

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

• Queen Room

1.Housekeeping was erratic. 2. Tiny room. Poor value for money. 3. Got trapped through booking.com for a high rate without ability to cancel even six weeks before my stay dates.

Room was well lit. Plenty of sunshine and you could open a window to great views.

• Reviewed: 20 July 2016

See above^

Every prommise made before arival was not met. The parking is not good at al! And it start to look dated! The extrabed in family room need serious upgrade. If we did not bring painkillers, the trip would be ruined. But i love the location and breakfast!

• Reviewed: 29 June 2016

• Family Room

We stayed in a family room at 1. floor and too late I noticed that the floors were covered with black dog hairs and I could even find a hair in my bed sheets. Not very interesting nor comfortable!

• Reviewed: 26 June 2016

• Single Room with Sofa Bed

The hotel was crowded but it wasn't felt while you were staying in your room. The breakfast was covering wide range of foods and the staff was very helpful.

problems with wifi

good location, freindly personell, compact but comfortable room, good shower

Great breakfast and location

bathroom and its facilities could be improved

Amazing staff. Great breakfast and awesome location

The room is small and has no refrigerator or water heater for coffee

It would've been nice if we were explained how the elevator worked.

Breakfast was amazeballs.

breakfast time - problem of finding hot water for brewing tea

quiet and peaceful atmosphere

too many people in the breakfast

small room, paid parking, no minibar

Location, Food, Bed, Clean, Elevator, silence

Parking should be free

Den manliga receptionisten.

Very small room. No place to put the luggage.

Good location.

We thought the coffee wasn't strong enough. The beds were not wide enough, only 80 cm:s. They need to be 90!

Rooms are a bit too small

We traveled with our dog for the MyDog Show, and found this hotel perfect for the purpose

The rooms' interior design is exceptional. The view and the location great. Very clean and cozy.

Small lounge area

• Queen Room

No access to the in-house broadband

The room was comfortable if a little cramped. The bathroom was tight but moder

• Standard Twin Room Plus

breakfast was really nice, good choice. Also the hotel was very relaxed and comfortable.

• Quadruple Room

It is a wonderful hotel. Room decor was a plus

• Queen Room

Those Rooms close to tram way are noisy.

Hotel locates in perfect place and staffs were friendly.

• Queen Room

Really good selection for breakfast! Short walk to the city centre and other areas.

• Queen Room

the dusabled facilities were very good in comparison to some other hotels Very good buffet breakfast

• Queen Room

Room was really comfy and we appreciated the extra space.

• Standard Twin Room

Noise caused by refurbishment works going on.

Excellent buffet breakfast.

• Queen Room

The cleaning of the room was not done properly.

• Single Room with Sofa Bed

The bathroom EAs smelling bad. The sofabed was hard.

The straff was polite.