Reviews of Hotel 81 Palace 2 stars

No. 25, Geylang Lorong 16, 398867 Singapore, Singapore

#386 of 475 hotels in Singapore

• Standard Twin Room

The room wasn't cleaned, there was a used condom under the stool.

The staff allowed a transfer of room to one with a bigger bed, and also a late check out, if the staff wasn't that helpful, I would have left the place once I switch on the lights in my toliet, seeing the god awful decor.

The room was highest level ( 7) The A.C. was not serviced at all,so it was stuffy. The hairdryer must be replaced as the heating element got red! After my complaints they moved me to another room on level 2

Be careful about street during midnight there so many gambling and prostitute around here but they don’t disturb tourist. Outside room corridor was very noisy. And there are rear halal food restaurant for muslim.

Location was good. Room was clean & comfortable for two person bathroom was clean room number 228 have window view that was good. 10 minutes walking distance from MRT. Staffs are friendly . All over everything was good

• Standard Twin Room

Nothing special. Hotel definitely not worth it's money. In the description they do not mention that it's close to all "adult only" places, which makes it uncomfortable to just wonder around.

• Standard Twin Room

I just stayed there briefly as I arrived at Singapore at 2 am and was leaving the next day at midday. but the staff was very friendly , even at the middle of the night, and the room was great.

• Special Offer - Standard Double Room

Sorronding was too bad. I didn’t thought this type of place will be here in Singapore. When I opened the mini rifrigirator so bad smell. Smallest room I ever was at Singapore. Tea cups and Glasses, not in good quality. Very old. When I asked them for cancellation and refund, they ignored it as didn’t care, because it was a one day Booking. If you need to have a better holiday, It’s worth to spend some extras dollars And book another place.

Price is low

Room is really small for 2 beds

The room is quite small for twin bed however it could just match with the amount of money you paid for by Singapore standards. Not really a short distance from MRT station but few buses pass around the area. You just have to know your stop. Staff was kind enough to provide extra pillow and coffee as requested free of charge. appears that the area is like a red district but not bothered with that as we are there purely to stay over night and sleep. Overall it was a good stay!

• Special Offer - Standard Double Room

The receptionist name Munirah (if I'm not wrong) was really rude. I made a booking and the website stated my email address but not my "real name". So she wont let me check in until i call Booking.Com and asked the person to manually change for me my name instead my email address.. I've travel to Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam etc and never ever had any issues with it. I dont know why this Munirah make a huge fuss abouit it. And I'm a local fyi.. If you dont like ur job, might as well quit rather than you bringing down the company name with ur bad attitude..

The location close to most 24hrs restaurant.. You will never go hungry.

• Special Offer - Standard Double Room

The room looks and smells old. We had no television at all.

The place is near the metro station and supermarket. The room is bigger than what we expected

• Standard Twin Room

there was no door tag,we didn't tell them to clean the room,but they have already done it when we came back to the room,we didn't even lock the bags and money was kept on the table.if something was stolen how would you help us.there was no safe to put our money either.so if u can add that facility ,that would be really nice

it was okay, we got what we wanted

• Special Offer - Standard Double Room

Smells too musty in the room. A massive improvement is strongly expected.

Location. Middle of Geylang area. Lots of food outlets nearby. Convenient bus access.

• Special Offer - Standard Twin Room

Bedsheets could be a little better, they were really thin. The prostitutes and gangster looking people on the streets outside of the hotel can be a little intimidating, especially at night.

Hairdryer, shampoo and toothbrush was provided, they changed new sheets everyday and also provided with new bottled water. Was always happy to come back to a tidy and clean room.

• Special Offer - Standard Twin Room

It’s in the red light district, very eerie of a night time, lots of men around and stuck out like a sore thumb. Not many restaurants around.

The WiFi was really good, the cable channels, the reception staff were helpful and friendly and the laundry service. About a 10 min walk to the train station aljunied.

The room a little bit smaller compared to the picture but Im fine with it

Easy to go, 10 mins from Aljunied MRT, hotel can keep your luggage after checkout time which is very convenient for me

• Special Offer - Standard Double Room

Room quite hot. Air con through hotel main cooling system rather than individual units in room. Not a real problem but had weather been very hot ?

Rooms basic but clean, good choice of tv and wi fi good.

The coffee mug were so dirty. The other mug has coffee stains from previous usage. The other one was used as ashtray by previous tenants and was not cleaned. Cleaners are very noisy outside the room that really disturbed your sleep.

Bed is comfortable.

Noisy AC unit & noisy toilets & water systems. There's 6 hotel 81s within a block, which could be better labelled as they all look alike. It's very easy to walk into the wrong hotel!!

• Special Offer - Standard Double Room

Brown stains on bedsheets, black stains on towel, hair on the floor, very loud music from outside until late in the evening and when packing our stuff we saw a roach crawling on the ceiling (see photo). The neighborhood is very dirty and there is a brothel next door.

it's cheap

Wifi connection, wish rooms/bathrooms were a little big !! ,

I liked the friendly staffs, the front desks responsibilities when it come to taking care of our luggage, booking cabs etc. Thanks to Rayson, Chris & Siti :)

This is the hotel with the worst communication I've ever seen. I wanted to stay in a cheap accomodation and that is exactly what it is. Cheap.

Location is ok.

• Special Offer - Standard Twin Room

They charged us extra for the first two days. Although booking . com Said we have to pay 101 SGD for the first two days however actually ended up paying close 130 SGD (they said service charges GST etc were not covered)... It was embarrassing for us. When we checked in we also noticed that the walkin rates were lower than Booking .com rates (including taxes). After the first two days we converted our stay to walkin rates (60 SGD per day including taxes) as it was cheaper and rooms were not showing as available in the website (we were extremely busy with our work that we couldn't update the booking .com Team about this). Lastly This hotel is located in ADULT area so this hotel location is not suitable for family travelers. Only limited TV channels were provided

The property was maintained clean, the room service was OK.

I requested for a handicap friendly room. Never have I ever seen a handicap friendly room that had hardly any space to move ard with the wheelchair. Main door and bathroom doors could not be opened unless the wheelchair was folded and put away. It was the worst room I have ever been to. Then.. knowing there is a handicapped person in the hotel, the handicapp parking lot should have been reserved. Instead, 2 cars (without labels) were parked in tht slot.. and when I asked a night duty malay young chap for assistance... he just said he could not do anything about it. The hotel should pay heed to ensuring that the lot is not used by able bodied idiots who have blatant disregard for those with physical restrictions. What made it worse was the attitude of the young man behind the counter. He showed it on his face and the way in which he responded. Had no initiative and basically.. just did not care. I was about to post this on social media sites when your email came in. Wont be recommending any 81s to anyone. Guess it best serves the purpose of quickies!!

• Special Offer - Standard Double Room

After I did my booking online, I was doubtful because of mixed negative reviews I've read about the hotel. But as per our experience, I did not have any issues at all and our stay was lovely. The room is small but if you try to move the bed to the side close to the window, you will have enough space to place your bags and move around. AC was cold and wifi is really fast.Rooms were cleaned on a daily basis. The rooms are provided with 2 pillows but if you think you need more, they are more than willing to gave you extra pillows if they have extra. Toilet is clean and hot/cold water is working too. It is like 12 mins walking distance to MRT and the metro is close the airport and only a few stops to the city. They have 2 plug for electronic socket but if you think it is not enough for you, just bring an extension cord. There's a lot of local/street foods in the area so you won't have any issues in grabbing something to eat anytime of the day. Outside the hotel, there is a gambling place at night on the streets but nothing to be scared about,really as they don't really talk to you. Also, they said it is a red light district but you can't be bothered as the clubs are very discreet and the girls cannot be seen from outside.

There wasn't any wifi access in my room, the pillows weren't fluffy and there weren't many tv channels to browse through.

The staff were gracious. Bed was comfy, not too comfy but still comfy.

I liked nothing. Very very poor customer service. Extremely rude,ill-mannered and uncooperative management staff. Misbehaving receptionists who repeatedly started calling me 2 hours before check out time asking me to leave otherwise they'll charge me $90 extra. No one came to help me carry my 3 heavy luggage bags down to the lobby due to which I got 5 mins late at the checkout and the rude checkout staff forced me to pay $10 fine as well. Terrible experience.

I liked nothing. Awful experience.

Had problems with the intermittent internet connection. Not up to the standard of other Hotel 81s Geylang is a red light area and Lorong 16, where the hotel is situated, is in the heart of it. There are official establishments designated by large red numbers and visible street prostitution. Also some illegal gambling and selling of dubious cigarettes and performance enhancers. The area is safe and you are not likely to get hassled but it isn’t the “squeaky clean” Singapore you might expect.

Hotel 81 Palace It’s a budget hotel similar to many other in the Hotel 81 Chain. The room is spartan but clean and has the basics. Geylang is an “interesting and colourful ” area with plenty of reasonably priced places to eat and , convenience stores nearby. Aljunied MRT station is a ten minute walk away and many buses run along Geylang Road..

• Special Offer - Standard Double Room

Toilet and shower together is really small. No toilet paper. Bottled water and coffee is only for one person even though we booked a double room.

Room is clean and location is okay. It's near the bus stop but a bit far from MRT. Staff are nice and they allowed us to check-in early.

• Reviewed: 26 April 2017

The floor is not really clean as can see the hair fall. Very noisy at night. Can hear clearly the talking sound and passby vehicle from outside the building. A nightmare to us.

Close to nearby amenities.

• Reviewed: 6 April 2017

• Standard Twin Room

Should add more trash bins in the room instead of placing 1. Only 1-2 outlet, so extension cords are advisable to bring. Hotel staff could be a little bit more pleasant. Room was colder than average and temperature setting can be so confusing due to manual switches.

new bottled water everyday and location is near Aljunied Station if you like to walk around and explore on the way. There was a problem in our room on our last night due to power trip and they just asked us to changed room with no charge.

• Reviewed: 3 April 2017

• Standard Twin Room

No refunds for early checkouts; i had to checkout 2 days prior, but no refunds; this is second time it happended; but still stayed here, coz room rate and location

• Reviewed: 9 March 2017

The location of the hotel, though accessible, is full of people gambling and some sort of clubs. The room light is also not relaxing to the eyes and bed is not comfortable. :-(

Cheaper than the other hotels within the area

• Reviewed: 7 March 2017

Wifi barely worked jumping on and off. Like in a 3rd world country not Singapore. Room was not clean. Lots of noisy tourists in bus tours that start shouting and slamming doors early morning.

Close enough to airport and Kallang watersports center

• Reviewed: 1 March 2017

• Standard Twin Room

A little more smile at front counter is all it takes.

It was a tiring trip but the bed was just too good for comfort. I have stayed here every time when am on a business trip.

• Reviewed: 16 February 2017

• Standard Twin Room

They cleaned the room without asking me. I also did not put the Clean the Room sign. I think it should be asked to the clients first if they want the room to be cleanes with or without permission. Nothing is gone and I think the hotel staff are trustworthy but this one I think must be implemented.

I like the privacy and the comfort of sleeping.

• Reviewed: 14 February 2017

• Standard Twin Room

Good for the solo traveller on budget. Although in a dubious area felt very safe and secure. Was on busy schedule and I only required place to sleep and fast wi fi.

• Reviewed: 28 January 2017

The room is congested and I felt I was in a cage. Not a comfortable place to relax and enjoy a stay other than just to spend and mark time if you have missed the flight or need a place to keep your bags and baggage until you catch the next flight. Rooms are any way expensive in Singapore

Accessibility for MRT and airport convenient. The restaurants of wide variety of food with very reasonable prices were in close proximity.

• Reviewed: 18 January 2017

When I check-in the desk girl ask if I was staying alone, I told her I wasn't sure if my friend will be joining me so I will check-in by myself, then she mentioned that if i would have another guest I MUST report to the desk or else she won't give me back my deposit. I felt as if I was being threatened. The Internet connection was very weak when I enquire the front desk, she instructed me to sit near the window or near the room door. Oh gosh. Management what did you do to your staffs. None of them seem happy.

I like it because it was close to the shop lots and eateries. The air con was cool.

• Reviewed: 17 January 2017

• Special Offer - Standard Double Room

Not much bang for your buck! Slightly odd smell throughout.

Cheaper than the majority of hotels in Singapore. Not far from public transport links to the airport and city. Free left luggage service.

• Reviewed: 13 January 2017

• Special Offer - Standard Double Room

The location of place look scarey surround with a lot of foreigners look us while we are walking along the streets.

The hot shower water was so good and pressure is great.

• Special Offer - Standard Double Room

pillow too soft, one of the male staff was not thorough in his administrative skills cos he asked me for payment when I have already paid cash for the room and did not apologize for his mistake. The road leading to the hotel felt unsafe.

the firm mattress

I didnt like anything in the hotel. First the rate they gave me was expensive for a budget hotel plus they added addl charge for the 3rd person. The receptionist are like robots no feelings and rude. Definitely will never check in that hotel.

• Reviewed: 26 December 2016

AirCon can not be turned off in the room as it will result in the water coming on the walls of the room. Even @ 30 C it feels really cold because the room is very small. The bed sheets were not clean and were hardly changed. The service was bad.

Price

• Reviewed: 17 December 2016

The front office staff was very rude and was not helpful in any way. I had to carry my own bags. Very poor hospitality. I would never stay in this place, even if it is totally free.

The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was very small but clean. Overall Housekeeping stanards were good.

• Reviewed: 16 December 2016

• Special Offer - Standard Double Room

neighbourhood has "red district" activities - so not too comfortable walking at night.

very clean, friendly & helpful staff & walking distance to MRT

• Reviewed: 13 December 2016

Difficult to get get to with luggage for new visitors to the city using public transport. Room was very small. Internal decore of hotel in need of a lick of paint and a good clean up. Revolting powdered sweet tea available in room.

The location was in the heart of a buzzing community. The staff helpful. Room clean and tidy. Very quiet inside room made for a good sleep.

• Reviewed: 6 December 2016

• Special Offer - Standard Double Room

Nothing, really. I didn't have high expectations. I was in Singapore so I knew my budget would only get me a basic room. And that's what I got.

Location is a good base to get around the city. It's quite pricey for the room but that's Singapore.

• Reviewed: 1 December 2016

A bit old but still comfy.

Comfortable hotel. Free coffee and tea including bottled water. Has an elevator. Good place to rest after exploring Singapore.

• Reviewed: 19 November 2016

This is the third time I've stayed here.....excellent , value-for-money hotel . Lots of good , simple , cheap food courts within a few minutes walk , MRT and buses also available within minutes . Simple to get to and from Changi Airport , and the City . Room kept very clean , friendly front desk staff . I'll certainly be returning !

• Reviewed: 17 November 2016

• Standard Twin Room

As we were Muslim guests...it would have been better if there was a Muslim shower in the toilet

Place is Fairly Clean. Staff could be extra friendly.

• Reviewed: 5 November 2016

• Special Offer - Standard Double Room

the chinese guy possesed kind of out of world atitude..room was so small that we could barely move around ..rest is good facilities are upto the mark..maybe the owner should put the chinese for some schooling before he sits in front desk and speak rudely or with no compassion with the guest..small rooms are manageable if they welcome us with big heart and broad smile thank you

it was nice and quite

• Reviewed: 1 November 2016

• Special Offer - Standard Double Room

Excellent customer service and cleanliness of rooms which were serviced daily. Laundry facilities also excellent and easy to use.Hot showers were good.

• Reviewed: 22 October 2016

the staff name alvin i think he was the manager was unfriendly,racist and rude. if im mistaken by his name i will describe him as skinny,chinese nationality and male. he didnt offer any help and wasnt considerate i have a baby with me.

its ok nothing much.

• Reviewed: 21 October 2016

To start with I didn't like the location at all, this was located in a shabby area , in some bad roads. The roads were full of prostitutes, and sex-item sellers. Just outside the hotel there were prostitutes, and there were gamblers on either side of the alley to the hotel, very unsafe region in my opinion. The staff was not polite at all, in fact one guy was rude to me when i asked for some info at the check in. The wifi was not working and they didn't allow me to make an international call also. Even when I hung the tag to clean the room, they hadn't cleaned it for two days . There wasn't a bidet shower in the toilet. The worst hotel in terms of the service and customer care I would not recommend that any one stays there . Worst hotel choice ever, and for a solo traveler, the place I think is not safe at all, I saw three police raids for the stay of three days there and god knows what they were selling. There were no eateries around , no place to get a taxi. There were better places I saw as I was walking down the road to aljunied.

I liked the comfort of the room, the cleanliness and there was satellite tv, hot water bath, - hair dryer and a kettle to heat water and some water bottles and mugs with coffee. The room was fairly spacious. AC was working just fine and that's it. The closest MRT was Aljunied, which was 15 mins walk.

• Reviewed: 5 October 2016

• Special Offer - Standard Double Room

Did not care for the food in Singapore...I don't care for how the food is prepared throughout SE Asia... I prefer bringing my own favorites and throwing a sandwich together vs eating out...not to mention the prices for something to eat in Singapore.

Convenience and location for my reason of travel. Had to run to the Air Base again...quick turnaround.

• Reviewed: 24 September 2016

The comforter should be change. I didn't like the layers of it.

The manager is overwhelming. Improve more the approach of other staff it doesn't jive with the manager's enthusiasm.

• Reviewed: 16 September 2016

No issues at all.

It’s a budget hotel similar to many other in the Hotel 81 Chain. The staff is professional, Mr. PASU is very CoOperative. Room is very clean and bed was very comfortable. Free Wifi is also running good in all designated areas. It's located in the Red Light District but not to worry. Was very convenience to reach the city as Aljunied MRT station is a ten minutes walk away and many buses run along Geylang Road.

• Standard Twin Room

some of the staff are not very friendly and helpful. I suspect she purposely provides me with the wrong wifi information!

location was good. most of the staff are friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 14 September 2016

• Special Offer - Standard Twin Room

-the pillow was too soft and flat. -the room was quite humid.

cleanliness, tower, toilet paper, hair dryer, electric plug (can use any type of plugs!) the hotel was quite far from the train station, about 850 m. but it was not the big deal. There were many shops and restaurants along the way so, you don't have to worry when walk at night. And the footpath was good! If you wish not to share the night with strangers, this hotel would be the answer. the price was the same as hostel in the downtown.

• Reviewed: 26 August 2016

Old chinese cleaner lady very rude...we complain about the pillow case so smelly, maybe they didn't change it...she came and rudely says that it has been changed - I asked her to smell she refused.....the room is not as appear in the online booking fotos's very small

lokasi within reasonable distance from public transport

• Reviewed: 26 August 2016

• Standard Twin Room

The rom was very cold due to faulty air conditioning that we couldn't switch off. But to be fair we were offered to move to another room. The corridors could be noisy in the middle of the night.

It's clean and near the MRT. The staff is polite. It's located in a non-glamorous Singapore which we like.

• Reviewed: 1 August 2016

• Special Offer - Standard Double Room

Room that we stayed in didn't look nice and needed renovation quite badly. The bed takes up almost all the space in the room. Size is agreeable if you use the room just for sleeping. Window can't be opened.

Good location, 10 minute walk from mrt urban rail.. Friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 30 July 2016

• Standard Twin Room

The room, the service, location and the staffs. They're not that helpful enough, no proper outlet for you to charge your device.

The only thing thats convinient for us was that it's near the stadium where we attended a concert.

• Reviewed: 18 July 2016

• Special Offer - Standard Double Room

rooms could be bigger; a bit far from SMRT when you have to carry big bags; wifi was weak in the rooms

air conditioning was good, there was always , everiday, two botles of water in the room

• Reviewed: 17 July 2016

• Special Offer - Standard Double Room

The blue cover of the windows, you can't tell if it is sunny or cloudy outside, should be removed. Not able to open the window and let some fresh air in, they are all locked.

The staf is proffesional, the place and the room are good considering it's among the cheapest private rooms in the city. Nothing luxurious but also nothing to complain about, really good for the price. The metro is 10 mins walking distance (at most), but there are few bus stops within 2 mins by foot. It is in the middle of the red light district but it is a joke compared to other cities because Singapore feels incredibly safe. You can walk around alone in the middle of the night and you are totaly fine even in this area. It is even better than some other residential parts of the city with empty streets. There are a lot of restaurants and food arround, almost 24 hours available. Definitely recommended for saving some money on accomodation and food in this generally very expensive city.

• Reviewed: 16 July 2016

• Special Offer - Standard Double Room

No breakfast, dirty, smell disgusting, prostitutes outside like rats, no good wifi, no even bad connection with Internet.Tiny old rooms all same size, furniture is old and damaged, no good shower inside, just a hanger on a wall inbathroom. For this money it's too much price.

Nice personnel, good location.

• Reviewed: 10 July 2016

• Standard Twin Room

The condition of the room was not comfortable at all. The room floor damp in all days. I highlighted to the staff but they were keep on telling us because of we didn't switch on the air conditional. Even though if we switch on the air conditional, the air conditional need to be lower than certain temperature to avoid the damp. But we never faced this kind of incident in other hotels. When we seek for their help to arrange the taxi to take us from Hotel to Johor Bharu, they gave us a lot of reasons to reject us. Furthermore, they keep on mentioned to me if I ask them to arrange the taxi, there will be additional surcharge ($3) from taxi. But when I asked the taxi driver, there was no such surcharge. Certain staffs were polite but the rest of the staffs were impolite. When I asked further information such as direction to MRT station, they answered me with impatient voice tone.

Just a normal ONE START hotel.

• Reviewed: 9 July 2016

• Special Offer - Standard Double Room

The WiFi was intermittent and the room cleaning was patchy. I didn’t think it was up to the standard of other Hotel 81s . Be aware that Geylang is an official Singapore red light area and Lorong 16, where the hotel is situated, is in the heart of it. There are official establishments designated by large red numbers and visible street prostitution. Also some illegal gambling and selling of dubious cigarettes and performance enhancers. The area is safe and you are not likely to get hassled but it isn’t the “squeaky clean” Singapore you might expect.

• Reviewed: 2 July 2016

Bed was as hard as floor. The room had no bar fridge. The bathroom was disgusting. The hotel is old and needs renovating. The toiletries was only a toothbrush. The water was hot they didnt chill. The kettle was old. The sheets and linen where bug infested.

The staff where friendly. The location is in the red light district. The late fighting in the hotel with the noise of men fighting over the hookers. Was disgraceful. I would never ever recommend this hotel to anyone. The price was the only good thing. I felt sorry for the cleaners.This was a eye opener as first time in Singapore. The location was ok for transport.

• Reviewed: 26 June 2016

• Special Offer - Standard Twin Room

I dnt like your staff,i call just to ask hlp.someone answer the phone arrogantly..next time be nice to your customer.

I like the locationn and the room is clean.

Room too small

Dirty

Nearby food shops

Nice and comfortable

Staff very friendly

old furnishing. shower area is too small

close to everything

Room is not sound proof that i can hear the guest are going here and there😊

Browse Hotel 81 Palace traveller photo gallery