Reviews of Metropolitan YMCA Singapore 4 stars

60 Stevens Road, Orchard, 257854 Singapore, Singapore

#286 of 475 hotels in Singapore

Excellent stay, worth the value of money...Recommended for all...
    • Standard Twin Room (No Window)

Someone had spilled water on the carpet near our room. That stuff was stinking a bit.

Fast check-in, fast check-out, good choice of food in the restaurant, proximity to Stevens MRT, 10 mins drive to Orchard Road, cleanliness, free cold water dispenser, fast wi-fi

Average, stay only for convenience.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

There were ants on the table. Ceiling of the washroom had black molds. Food in the restaurant was salty. Corridor had a smell, and carpets looks dirty and old.

Staff are very nice and accommodating.
    • Deluxe Triple Room

Minor things that I should not write here.Because their service is absolutely professional.

Staff are very nice and accommodating.Breakfast buffet is ok.Near the MRT.The facilities are ok

I would recommend this hotel to any of my friends.
    • Deluxe Triple Room

Breakfast at the hotel was below average. Options were limited and was not cooked well. There was only 4 Western cooked dishes and 6 Asian cooked dishes. The noodles were cooked with spaghetti rather than Asian egg noodles. Even the simplist dish of chinese chicken congees, were made too watery ie with very little amount of rice. I did like the coffee made by the automatic coffee bean grounding machine.

We were pleasently suprised to get an upgrade to 2 bedroom family apartment. And even more pleased when we were given a free mobile phone to use during our visit, with free local and internatational calls and internet access. All came extremely useful when travelling across around the city. The staff was always very helpful, even with localy eateries and travel advices to and from sightseeing localtions.

Definitely value for money.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

It was old and needs renovation. However this is not the big problem. The problem was that the room and specificly the bathroom was not clean. There were water dots on the mirror, the sink wasn't clean, there were someone else hair.

Definitely value for money. It is close to the underground. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We arrived early in the morning and they were able to find us a room.

The room was comfortable and the staff were helpful.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The food was adequate but not impressive. Breakfasts were unusual: a combination of oriental buffet and a form of English buffet. Lunch and dinner showed promise but just failed to excite. It was the quality of the food that let the restaurant down not the serving staff for whom we had high praise.

The staff were invariably helpful. We actually came to the conclusion that most Singaporeans were friendly and keen to assist. The bell push placed on each of the lunch and dinner tables was a novelty and we were impressed by how quickly staff responded to it.

I hope they improve the wifi and change the new towel with better quality
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Wifi is terrible and this is the most important thing because there is not much entertainment outside hotel area so no wifi make it unconfortable Room has bad smell Towel is very old and worn out. The travel to MRT is not much pleasant, going thru a big construction area There is nothing to do around the hotel

hotel include breakfast bus stop right at hotel Free water refill for guest

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would recommend to any family or friends coming to Singapore.
    • Suite

The variety of options at breakfast was quite limited but as it was included in the room rate, we can't really complain - it made getting out and about early on a full tummy very easy!

The customer service by Anne (Operations Manager) was exceptional - she even delivered a cake for our daughter's 21st birthday! We were upgraded from a suite to a 3 bedroom apartment which was huge and such a nice surprise!

Great place.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

If you like long warm shower. Better to take it early.

Great place... 6min to MRT, 2 min to bus by walk. Wonderful breakfast. Great hotel gym and pool. Comfortable room and bed.

We Very much enjoyed our stay at this hotel.
    • Suite

We Very much enjoyed our stay at this hotel. We were upgraded to a nice and spacious, well equipped apartment. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The location is very convenient in walking distance to a MRT. We can highly recommend this place.

A no frills stay with a few issues
    • Standard Twin Room (No Window)

Elevators are too slow and often you have to wait for three cycles to get to your room with an influx of guests.

The breakfast place is good and included in the room rate. The hotel location is three bus stops away from Orchard Road.

Very friendly staff. Also very efficient.

All good.

Food was good. Staff were excellent. I highly recommend this establishment. I will stay there on my next trip.. After booking taxi to go to city , only have to wait 2 to 3 minutes for taxi arrival.

24 hours front desk who are extremely welcoming.
    • Standard Twin Room (No Window)

Rooms could do with microwave.

24 hours front desk who are extremely welcoming. Neat rooms with clean sheets, towels and bathrooms. Very good air con. Close to MRT and bus stops, easy to get around.

That's great!
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

It was not me who stayed at hotel, but my uncle told me that everything was very good. The location is so convenience for him to take bus to the places he planed to go. To me, the staffs were very heart-warming and religious, they answer my questions very quick and even though so busy, they still reply me to inform my uncle had checked in at the hotel. Thanks again.

• Reviewed: 16 December 2017

YMCA Experience
    • Deluxe Triple Room

We did not know that there are more than 1 YMCA hotel in Orchard. Metro taxi driver took us to the 02 Orchard Rd property instead of the Stevens Rd property on Orchard. We arrived during traffic peak times so it took us awhile to move

I commend the reception staff of both YMCA properties for being helpful to us. Thank you very much

I use to know this same YMCA back in 1978 and it has changed for the better for a busy Singapore.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The local TV channels only. There was no cable TV, so programs where very limited.

Staff where always helpful and friendly. Breakfast buffet was OK with a decent auto coffee machine.

OVERALL IT IS A GOOD HOTEL
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

IT IS MORE CONVENIENT IF THEY HAVE A COMPUTER FOR GUEST TO USE AS WE HAVE TO CHECK IN OUR FLIGHT AND PRINT OUT BOARDING PASS. THEY SHOULD ALSO HAVE A SELF LAUNDRY ROOM FOR WASHING CLOTHES FOR THOSE WHO STAY LONGER.

BED IS VERY COMFORTABLE. THE QUILT IS TOO HEAVY

Very clean hotel and rooms, friendly staff, build in...
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Need a small instruction leaflets in every room explaining fire exits, how to use AC control, security box, laundry, hair dryer etc. eg :- where to find them or use them ?

Very clean hotel and rooms, friendly staff, build in restaurant and pool, close to local transport etc.

Pleasant stay. Will definitely like to stay here on the next visit.
    • Suite

Toilet articles were provided (except for toothbrush and toothpaste). We are used to not carrying this as all hotels provide this. Taxis not easily available unless booked (which adds upto $10 for a maxicab) MRT station is about 10 minutes to walk. Weather was quite hot - so family refused to do the hot-sweaty-walk !!

Very friendly front office staff. Good and clean ambiance. Easily connected. Good facility - Handy phone. Staff upgraded our rooms. Good breakfast. Spacious rooms in the new building.

We really enjoyed our stay with conveniently access MRT we were able to go sightseeing at ease..
    • Standard Twin Room (No Window)

We didn't use the pool at the apartment but we feel it needs protection at the edge of the pool for safety reasons, one could easily walk right into the pool.

Staff (Anne & Rafi) at the apartment were very accommodating to all of our requests. Service was excellent both at the apartment (like a fully furnished efficiency with washer/dryer) as well as the hotel equivalent to a 4 four stars rating. Food were very good. Location is convenient, easy access to Stevens MRT that runs directly non-stop to Harbour Front and easy connection to downtown and other destinations. We would stay there again anytime and would also recommend it to anyone.

Very comfortable and made enjoyable by dedicated staff and excellent facilities.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

I realise you cater to the needs of groups of tourists everyday. You seem to have big groups of them each and every day. My only suggestion is how to reduce wasteful practices by some of these tourists at breakfast. A lot of them get plateful of food that they do not finish - a lot of waste eg papaya. Some tourists get a lot of papaya but never finishing them! There must be a way of addressing such wastage eg talking to tour director. Also a lot of tourists do not know how to behave themselves in public eg very noisy; coughing and clearing their throat within hearing of other people having breakfast or sneezing without covering their mouth/nose, etc.

All the points we raised during the booking were pleasantly addressed ie firm bed (not soft, not hard); room away from the noisy part of the hotel, non-smoking room. The staff were ever so friendly and attentive to our queries.

I don't like the receptionist who accommodate during my...
    • Triple Room (No Window)

I don't like the receptionist who accommodate during my stay. She doesn't even know how to handle their guest complaint. Her face like angry bird. I hope they will educate their staff specially the receptionist, not hospitable with their guest.

Had a wonderful stay! Great staff and great hotel! Kudos to Metropolitan Y!
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

It's still quite new. They just renovated the place. Overall, it was good. However, they still do have that after-renovation smell. Maybe some air-fresheners will be good.

Comfortable stay! Beds and sheets are clean. Nice and friendly staffs. It's super convenient to travel to anywhere since it's located near the MRT station (Stevens), just 5 minutes away! The breakfast was fine. Very satisfied with my stay there!

Location wise and affordability and comfort you can find it here at an affordable price.
    • Standard Twin Room (No Window)

The pillows and tge carpets already has an odor they should start cleaning it up specially the pillows

All staffs are very accomodating and was able to help us through our stay nice pool and gym and the breakfast was good

i miss my home
    • Standard Twin Room (No Window)

There r bugs on the wall couldnt count may b hundred and under the bed is so dirty

Reception looks way better than my room. All friends suggest i should sleep at reception than in the room

Excellent experience, happy to return to Metropolitan Y
    • Deluxe Triple Room

This is not a complaint - it would have been great to have late checkout to 7pm, but we understand this was not possible due to being fully booked.

All the staff were absolutely fantastic. We arrived after midnight (no problem) and were quickly and efficiently checked in. Breakfast was included - it was not a 5star hotel brekky, but pretty good all the same. Choice of cereals was pretty ordinary, but plenty of fresh fruit, pastries, asian options, and cooked items (but no bacon). The pool is fabulous - must be more than 25m, and is set up with lane ropes (great for people like me who like to swim laps). Transport was easy - bus stop is very close, and the hotel staff had some metro cards we could buy. They allowed us a late checkout (even though fully booked that night). Overall an excellent experience.

It was value for money and will definately come again for stay.
    • Triple Room (No Window)

breakfast was ok and should add some vegetarin or indian dish.

staff was great and child friendly , location was very convient and our family liked the stay and enjoyed.

Everything's great except telephone hotline staff.
    • Standard Twin Room (No Window)

- The staff that mans the telephone hotline. Before the trip, I was phoning to ask about refundable policy (because I accidentally booked the wrong date) and whether I could change the name of the booker of the room and got very rude and dismissal response from her, which made me very angry and upset and almost pulled a no-show on the date.

Everything was better than expected, bed's comfortable, breakfast's awesome and great variety, I actually booked a non-window room and ended up with a window-room, which was a pleasant surprise. Staff at front desk was very nice. Location was great (2 bus stops from Orchard MRT, or a walking distance to Stevens MRT), bus stop was right in front of hotel.

Enjoyable
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Neighbours were a little noisy at times but not sure how much the hotel can help that. Wifi reception wasn't consistent across the room - better nearer the door. But not so bad I couldn't work on the things I needed to or call home.

Food was good varied a little each day. Pool was quite good Easy 15-20 min walk to the botanic gardens (I did this 4 days in a row for a conference, it was a nice walk even in the humidity).

Flat screen smart tv
    • Deluxe Triple Room

Booked room for 5- Was actually a king sized bed- Shifted to one side and added 3 More single beds- one bed was slotted at the foot end so minimal space in between. Had to put the bags in the kitchen area Ceiling cassette aircon was dusty and noisy

Flat screen smart tv

The location is a bit far from the centre but close enough...
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

We went around the easter break, and the hotel front entrance was still under construction. Usually I never complaint for the breakfast, but the food was not interested (including salad for breakfast). My son chose to have breakfast outside. The wall was quite thin where we can hear the conversation and tv from the next door room. The clientele of the hotel seemed to be a large group of tourists where their noises on the corridor woke me up a couple of times. Also, they seemed were not sure their room,they rang my room in three separate occasion (once at night and twice in the morning) by mistake. I was very annoyed with this disturbance.

The location is a bit far from the centre but close enough to the underground (5-7 minutes walk). The hotel rate is good considering the accommodation prices in Singapore. We didn't use the swimming pool during our stay so couldn't comment on this. The staff was very helpful.

Staff were excellent and very helpful.
    • Triple Room (No Window)

The location. Not in the shopping area. No place to eat and have to spent lot of money and time for trandport.

Staff were excellent and very helpful. Home away home. Thank you Paul and sintia and other at reception. Take care guys. 👍

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

Bed is good but food need to improve
    • Deluxe Triple Room

Vacuuming and cleaning when the people still eating breakfast at 9:10am( not just one morning). Hard work but need to understand people want enjoy their breakfast. Sometimes not enough hot the food because the cover open. Food not enough choice.

People nice and hard work. Room is clean and big. Three beds is wounderful designed. Bed is comfortable.

• Reviewed: 15 April 2017

short stay
    • Standard Twin Room (No Window)

Bus loads of noisy Chinese tourists shouting and banging on the door at 7am. Small room with hard bed. Front access renovations meant a trek upstairs with luggage. Nothing in vicinity of hotel - it's a bus or taxi ride to do anything.

Dont trust the positive reviews, look elsewhere
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

I'm not sure why so many people are giving this place such a good rating. I'll give it to you straight; The walls are thin so you can hear everything your neighbours is doing next door. The hall carpets are filthy! There's construction going on outside so at 9am you hear a lot of it! As for the shuttle, there is none! I asked for a shuttle but they said there was no shuttle. So i took the local bus. The staff? Yes they were polite but need to develop customer service skills. I will not stay here next time i'm in town

rooms were ok. staff was ok.

• Reviewed: 4 April 2017

Worst SG stay
    • Deluxe Triple Room

Hotel did not declare that their lobby is under construction so my grandma had to walk flights of steps before we reach the lobby.. No bellboys to help us with our luggages No one outside the hotel to guide us to the lobby Room hallway does not smell nice, smells like molds and dew Room was weird ceiling paint did not match seems like always under repair. Room aircon was not working! Manager gabe us 2 industrial fans to compensate faulty aircon They transferred us to a service apartment that has roaches No photo of lobby under construction

• Reviewed: 7 February 2017

Near new blueline train station - not so busy area
    • Triple Room (No Window)

No bidet in the toilet Not enough toiletries Breakfast time should have been earlier

Near new blueline train station - not so busy area Extra pillows Buffet breakfast-wide selection

• Reviewed: 1 February 2017

No one should go on leisure tour to Singapore to such a dirty and costly place

Very old rooms Bathroom was dirty. No staff co operative No hot water

Nothing it's not hotel It's a hostel.for 33000 rs for 5 nights.I wish I should not have been on vacation.

• Reviewed: 31 January 2017

new look at restaurant & front desk
    • Deluxe Triple Room

old carpet, noisy air-conditioning, unpleasant experience on first day of breakfast both on staff issue as well as quality of food, but second was good.

new look at restaurant & front desk

• Reviewed: 20 January 2017

The room was big
    • Deluxe Triple Room

On the first day of the shower room has not hot water , no slipper .comments made but same things happen on the 3rd day . Staff at the front desk need improvement. Not worth of paying $659 for 2 nights and get such a service

The room was big

• Reviewed: 19 January 2017

Pay full price for babies
    • Deluxe Triple Room

Pool not in operation and not advised before booking and disability rank for pram also closed. No discounts for this and I had to pay full amount for babies under 2. Taxes should be included in the price not added on as an after thought. So quite expensive to stay there.

Close to the central part of Singapore

• Reviewed: 18 December 2016

An enjoyable stay in Singapore
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

We like the environment and the value for money. We found the rooms nice and tidy and enjoyed a quiet stay for a couple of days. There is a good access with public transport, especially Bus 190 to Clark Quay and China Town as well as to the MRT. There is a shuttle bus offered on week days as well. The breakfast is also of good value.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

Freindlyness and helpfulness of staff
    • Standard Twin Room (No Window)

Due to ongoing building work swimming pool out of use no onsight laundry facility could not rest here during the day due to building work noise....web sight needs updating.

Freindlyness and helpfulness of staff

• Reviewed: 9 December 2016

Enjoyable
    • Standard Twin Room (No Window)

It was a pity the Pool was still closed considering it was roasting in Singapore. When we booked the Hotel in September it never said the hotel was being renovated until after we used our credit card to pay for the room. It mentioned in the confirmation that the renovations of the hotel finished 30th November but it wasn't the case. We should have had to pay less for our room due to misguided information about the pool.

Bed was comfy & shower facilities were new breakfast good & gym was a bonus.

• Reviewed: 8 November 2016

You could get much better for the same price.
    • Standard Twin Room (No Window)

There were renovations works in some parts of the hotel, including the pool and the restaurant. So the pool was closed and there were no such information on Booking.com when we booked this hotel 1 week before arrival. The restaurant was open only for breakfasts. And the nearest foodcourt to the hotel was in 1 metro station. The nearest money exchange was in 3-4 metro stations from the hotel. And if you decide to stay in your room after 10.00 am, you would 'enjoy' all the sounds of renovation and rebuilding of the hotel. And we had problems with wi-fi. It was unstable all the time and we had to move to another room in order to get at least normal wi-fi.

The staff is perfect and they did everything possible to reduce the negative points of the hotel. Good breakfasts.

• Reviewed: 1 November 2016

It was a good experience with good rooms and a breakfast.Good staff at the reception .
    • Standard Twin Room (No Window)

The restaurant which is under renovation and more drop off points on the free shottole.

Yes-Good reception staff-SIENNA -ZEN and RAFIA. Good Breakfast and Access to the METRO.

• Reviewed: 25 October 2016

Ok!
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Renewal warning appears after booking.

It's ok but since they're in renewal, they should lower the price a little. No restaurant nearby, just a 12 mim walking mcdonnalds made night time a little bit difficult. Since there's no microwave inside the rooms, or in any public place, the convenient super market near Steven's Station turns to be not useful.

• Reviewed: 2 October 2016

It was a nice location and the staff at reception were nice.
    • Standard Twin Room (No Window)

The hotel is currently under a major renovation. This was not made clear before booking. The construction started early and was noisy. The room we had was small and smelt of damp.

It was a nice location and the staff at reception were nice.

• Reviewed: 18 August 2016

Good customer service, need some improvements in Other things
    • Standard Twin Room (No Window)

breakfast: same menu type everyday (rice,egg,fried noodle)- will be great if the hotel can bemore creative in setting menus, will be appreciated if the hotel could provide "halal" info since i'm a moslem and we must make sure that our food is halal (no pork, no lard, no alcohol, etc) Renovation (still ongoing when we're there) : hopefully it will be done on schedule. because Comfort and Health are important for us.

Staff: very good customer service

Location, service, value for money
    • Deluxe Triple Room

Somewhat limited vegetarian options at the buffet.

Location, service, value for money

good value for money, overall good experience

good value for money, overall good experience

Very good

Nothing to complain

Everything was ok

Great staff services

A bit run down and the floor isn’t clean

Great staff services

exellent

cleanliness and courteous staff

I have stayed here many years ago and the recent upgrades have ensured I would stay again.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Breakfast buffet could have a little more Western choices e.g. waffles or pancakes and cereal that is not so loaded with sugar.

Good Value for Money

smelly room (419) and smelly brown pillow. Rp. 1.9 mio is too expensive with the smelly room pillow
    • Deluxe Triple Room

small pillow (brown colour) - really smell and never washed. we almost die with the smell of the pillow. room smell bed

breakfast = Ok

Not enough variety for breakfast

Not enough variety for breakfast

Great staff and easy transport access
    • Deluxe Triple Room

Easy access to public transport

Basic but good
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Expensive, like everything else in Singapore.

The hotel is simple, but functional. Good for working travellers trips. Quiet and clean.

Very good for family stay

WC door

Spacious

Very comfortable room, great breakfast

No hot water for the 2 nights we stayed

Very comfortable room, great breakfast

value for money.
    • Standard Twin Room (No Window)

The hot water wasn't hot enough.

The two ladies at the reception were exceptionally nice.

No view

No view

Had a very comfortable stay for my one night stay in metropolitan YMCA.
    • Standard Twin Room (No Window)

love they had wifi for every floor. it was fast and convenient! staff were really friendly and helpful

I like it

I like it

Good breakfast buffet and big large double bed in the room

Not a very central location. No restaurants or Cafe's nearby

Good breakfast buffet and big large double bed in the room

Comfortable

Everything about washroom

Wash room without pail

Nice location, overall good value for money

Comfy beds, spacious room

Very nice place
    • Triple Room (No Window)

A bit away from maintown but would still book again

Very good breakfast, nice staff.

If is a great place to stay in SG.
    • Standard Twin Room (No Window)

The carpets in the rooms area are a bit old and stinky.

The area is close to public transport

Ok ok only

Bed not comfortable

Breakfast not too bad

Too far from MRT

Too far from MRT

Location, friendly, and accomodative.
    • Deluxe Triple Room

Need to increase variety of breakfast menu. Other than this all OK.

Location, friendly, and accomodative. New Building and good atmosphere.

Good buffet spread.
    • Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Pillows were hard. Thin walls.

Good buffet spread. Complete amenities.

Comfortable
    • Deluxe Triple Room

Our room smells cigarette smoke

Friendly staff