Reviews of Hotel & Penzión Grand Matej 3 stars

Kammerhofska 5, 96901 Banská Štiavnica, Slovakia

#8 of 9 hotels in Banská Štiavnica

• Economy Family Room

There was a big problem with the check-in/atitude of the reception lady, it can ruin Your day a welcome what we got. I gave my Romanian ID card, and She was asking from me, what is this, when I explained for She that this is the ID card, from Romania, which is part of the EU, She was asking my visa and passport and She doesn't want to accept my ID card vainly explaining everything, and She criticize everything about us and the ID card. I was a lot of place, from Italy to Portuguese to Tenerife, even in Bosnia(which isn't part of the EU) I hadn't any problem with my ID card. They give us a room which wasn't as described on the Booking, etc.

• Single Room with Extra Bed

Extremely small shower cubicle. Lift only goes to the third floor out of five!

Right on the main street. Free parking so long as you get there early. Good buffet breakfast.

• Single Room with Extra Bed

I am elderly 70 plus. My room was on the top floor (5) but the lift only went to floor 3 and there was no one to help me with my luggage. The bedroom had no air conditioning although facing the sun with a sloping roof containing a window it was horribly hot. The bed was a wooden base covered by a thin mattress of the the kind that would have been rioted against in UK prisons. No lights could be switched on or off from the bed meaning a night time trip to the loo had to be started in pitch dakness. I had to remind them one afternoon to make the room up. In its internal brochures it says 4 star. I've travelled all over the world in many different circumstances and though some places have been rough indeed I always knew what to expect. I would not expect what I found here from a four star hotel.

The staff were friendly and helpful.

• Economy Family Room

Hairdryer should be in each room.

Everything was perfect, nice, clean, large room with comfortable beds. We had a one-time free access to jacuzzi and sauna however we had to go in time table not so convenient to us (12:00 - 15:00), otherwise we had to pay. There was a wedding at the time of our stay but I must admit we did not hear almost anything at Saturday night, just Saturday morning the breakfast tables were a bit limited due to preparation. We had to re-park our car to leave the space for wedding guests on Saturday however hotel provided us another space over the street. Breakfast was great and hotel has an option to rent bikes if desired.

• Single Room with Extra Bed

City is wonderful but This Hotel doesn't have any feeling, any style! Why? Curtain, please change! Older furniture. Parking is complicated but is for free.

Good locality. My room and shower were clean and comfortable. Friendly staff. Parking for free. Wellness, but any experience.

• Economy Family Room

Staff is not very friendly and qualified. The receptionist was almost every time in the restaurant part sitting behind the bar and we had to go and find her. Food is not very good but it was not so expensive so lets say it was as good as the price was set up. *** hotel and there was no hair dryer in the room! I asked the receptionist for any to lend and she gave me a broken one. :D Also make sure your lamps are working because our were not working at all so we had to have the big ceiling light on all the time. No cleaning of the room or taking the trash out by stuff. Wellness - very expensive, they asked 25e/ 1.5 hour. Basically it is just a room with whirlpool, couch and small sauna, where max three people could get. Totally not worth it. In Banska Stiavnica are better equipped Pensions and other Hotels-as we found out later. We will never make this mistake to come back to Grand Matej ever. It is not worth the money.

Poloha blizko centra. / The situation of the hotel is near the city centre.

• Comfort Double Room with 2 Extra Beds

Noisiness in the evening/at night, weak internet connection, dirty mugs and plates in restaurant at breakfast.

The room was spacious and clean, bed big enough and comfortable.

• Economy Family Room

The staff is a bit.. sour.. They don't really speak english at the reception. Window blinds would be nice to have at the windows.

Excellent location in the city center. Beautiful panoramic, clean and spacious rooms, equipped with anything needed. Wifi and parking lots for free. Wifi working good. Good and tasty breakfast. They have a spa for an extra charge. They also have a nice restaurant not far away from the hotel.

• Economy Family Room

communication at the reception should be better.We have to ask for everything - time of breakfast, checking out time. This is the basic information and not every person travels and stays at the hotel every weekend. Hotel has plenty of quests and there are only 4 or 5 parking places in front od the hotel).For whom? And restaurant is missing. Grand Hotel sounds great....but it does not deserve this name.

Comfy and clean room + bathroom.

• Classic Double Room

Our bathrom wasn´t prepare, we didn´t have towels, soap etc., when we arrived, just then they clean it a and gave us towels, etc.

I liked bed and location.

• Classic Double Room

The hotel receptionist on arrival was very rude and most unhelpful. She sent us to a car park across the road, but did not give us the key needed to open the gate, when I explained, that a kind workman at the site had let us in, otherwise we would have been stuck in a dangerous position on a busy road, she just shrugged. The Spa area was closed, she just said "its closed today!" No explanation or apology, we found out from nice receptionist the next day, that it was due to cleaning. The restaurant was also closed as an event was taking place. As we booked this hotel for one night, due to spa and restaurant, it was great let down. The curtains feel down next morning, when pulled! The toilet was not working properly and the sink was cracked. We were on 3rd floor, but lift stopped at 2nd. we asked receptionist for a restaurant recommendation and she said, "I don't know there are lots"! She was the worst receptionist that we have ever experienced in many years of travel! I would urge the Hotel to look at her training as a matter of urgency! Over all a pretty awful experience!

The town was very pretty, especially the Castle. The restaurant with the brewery was excellent, although a bit tucked away and not easy to find. But an absolute gem. Fab food and very friendly staff.

• Economy Family Room

The staff could be friendlier, the WiFi more reliable, and the breakfast could offer a wider selection.

The hotel has nice spacious clean rooms and the location is perfect. The hot tub on the top floor is absolutely wonderful and worth the extra charge.

• Suite with Extra Bed

Very unfriendly staff at reception (simply rude), price vs. quality not realistic and much better options (pensions) are available in direct proximity. Also the Matej Restaurant is a never again.

• Reviewed: 19 August 2017

• Classic Double Room

Extras are either unavailable (BBQ) or quite expensive (wellness), the ancient elevator only runs to 3rd floor, no A/C in rooms, complimentary bottle of water only offered on the 1st day

Breakfast, balconies, e-bikes, and the company

• Comfort Double Room with 2 Extra Beds

We had room with window facing towards popular Art Cafe - during hot summer nights it means really a LOT of noise from music and loud people sitting on the terrace of Art Cafe - all night. There are only few parking places at hotel's parking lot, so you have to find paid parking place nearby, or free parking far away from hotel.

Accomodation have met our expectations, but did not exceed it. Room was clean and spacious.

• Single Room with Extra Bed

Four channels on TV only . Noise from next-door rooms. I have heard when people from neighboring rooms took the shower or used the bathroom.

Friendly staff. Clean room, bathroom, bed, bedding, towels.

• Classic Double Room

The rooms are very noisy, you can hear almost everything from the neighbors room (flush, shower, chat ...)

Hotel & Penzión Grand Matej is located in the city center, everything is in walking distance. The parking opposite to the hotel was very useful, as it is difficult to park in the city. The staff is kind and helpful.

• Suite with Extra Bed

The toilet was situated in an odd place behind the bathroom door and there was no air conditioning, but it was okay for the night we were there.

The hotel was situated near everything and had pleasant restaurants and cafes nearby.

• Classic Double Room

Hotel is poorly constructed - you can hear a lot of noise from the street (and it is a very busy street). Our room had no air conditioning so I cannot imagine how you would survive in this room later in the summer because open window would not be an option (trust me, we tried two nights). A lot of noise from hallway in the hotel and noise from other visitors in the hotel (our room and the next one was split only by a door, not by an actual wall). Window curtains are here only as a decoration, you cannot darken the room. We paid extra 6 euro per person to get breakfast in hotel restaurant. Food choice was more or less okeish, slightly bellow standard I would say if you don't like sugar in everything, but the staff was not refilling the food so it was difficult to get for example white yogurt or some fruits later on. The jar for müsli was just empty for first two days. Bed mattresses are quite hard (my wife had trouble to sleep on it). You are paying extra for parking (I haven't noticed this info, but I was told by staff it is written somewhere) Apparently we were at the checkout last that day as I was told by staff to my surprise. I was not looking for this kind of info.

Location is fantastic. It's in the middle of historic city center. Everything is very close.

• Economy Family Room

Right in the historical city centre with a dedicated car park,which was the biggest help as the town has literally no parking space close at hand. Excellent breakfast.

• Single Room with Extra Bed

Staff were not always around. Restaurant closed so no coffee available in the morning. Tatty decor and flooring. Poor bedding, thin pillow.

A fridge in the room. New immaculate bathroom.

• Reviewed: 27 April 2017

• Classic Double Room

No one speaks english there (just the very basic), the laundry service was quite expensive and the bathroom was weird.

They do not have "staff". They have a cast from Victoria's Secret there!!! Mainly in the bar. Also, Slovakians know how to cook a good sausage for breakfast.

• Reviewed: 4 January 2017

• Comfort Double Room with 2 Extra Beds

Food was lacking,at breakfast they were constantly running out of everything -cutlery,plates, even butter... beer in the hotel bar was stale... glass of wine was the worst i ever had... bathroom was tiny and cold

The bed was really comfy, the room spacious and with a lovely view

• Reviewed: 29 December 2016

• Classic Double Room

Very poor breakfast for this price. Parking in this hotel is wickedsick ... 8 € for 1 day !

Location was excelent, almost in the centre of the city. Hotel was clean

• Reviewed: 21 November 2016

• Comfort Double Room with 2 Extra Beds

We had room which was connected with a second room by simple door. We heard our neighbours almost to every word and we didn't feel privately. Breakfast didn't value 6 eur. Wifi was weak and stoped working regularly.

Private wellness. Great massage. Nice staff.

• Reviewed: 2 November 2016

They take advantage of us by firstly putting us at the fifth floor where it is not accessible by the lift which limited only third floor. What was so unfair was that they asked us for 10 Euros extra per rooms if we needed the rooms located on third floor or second floor where we can go up and down by the lift. So we had no choice for this advantage taking and paid 10 Euros extra per room as they wanted. This brought us a very disappointment and frustration. We are all over 60s and found it difficult to carry luggage up the floors. Booking.com should not deal with this hotel. They cheated on guests without mercifulness. The other guests who are coming to stay in this hotel must be careful with this kind of running business.

like it as it is located centerly of the town

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

• Classic Double Room

No lift to the top floor where my elderly parents room was.

The views from the bedroom window were superb and the hotel was really good value for money.

• Reviewed: 18 September 2016

• Single Room with Extra Bed

Clean and large room and bathroom. The hotel is well above the street so that there is very little noise and you have a gorgeous view on town. Breakfast was the best I had in Slovakia (even coffee was good). The restaurant is nice and good but be careful with the prices (fish according to weight).

• Reviewed: 1 September 2016

• Comfort Double Room with 2 Extra Beds

Back-to-socialism style, especially of restaurant and approach of waiters. No lobby bar where we could have a coffee.

Location, private wellness for a reasonable price however spa bath was quite poor.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

• Economy Family Room

We have chosen the hotel because of its wellness area. After our arrival we were told that we can use it for free only between 12-15pm otherwise we would have to pay 25euros. So we arrived to the wellness, sauna was off so we had to wait for another one hour to get it warm and spent time in cold jacuzzi in the meantime. No staff available in this area so we had to turn the sauna by ourselves. I do not recommend anybody to pay 25 euros for one sauna and cold jacuzzi. They also informed us we can rent the bikes in the hotel but there were only 3 old bikes available two of them were for kids and in a very bad condition, we would not risk they would fall apart while cycling. In the end we could not go for a planned trip. Breakfast not included in the room rate. We paid additional 6 euros but it was not worth this money. Services in this hotel are really poor. Moreover, we could not sleep at 2am because there was a loud music coming from the lobby area. When I called the reception they said it shouldn't last longer than till 3pm. In my opinion they should inform their guests in advance. Lift did not go up to the last floor. Not a good value for the money.

Good location.

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

• Comfort Double Room with 2 Extra Beds

No wifi in the room. The lift served up to the 3. floor only, to the 4. and 5. floors you had to use the stairs.

Good location, close to many good restaurants and not very far from sights to see. They had run out of parking places by the time we arrived, but the receptionist helped us and the solution proposed by her finally worked. Nice hotel with not large, but acceptable room. Breakfast was fine, though was not included in the room rate.

Absolutely beautiful location

no decaf coffee

• Economy Family Room

Location is perfect, staff is friendly

• Economy Family Room

Parking was complicated but free :)

Right in the heart of the city

Good deal for a price

• Comfort Double Room with 2 Extra Beds

WiFi in the room does not work at all

Great breakfast and view from the window on the castle. Request for the kettle was easily completed.

• Comfort Double Room with 2 Extra Beds

Perfect location, very nice hotel.

Everything.

There was nothing to like.

The location is excellent

• Classic Double Room

Hotel is located in prime location, very fine breakfast, friendly staff

no air condition!!!!

• Economy Family Room

On breakfast choice could be wider.

Clean, big room, good location in the city centre.

• Single Room with Extra Bed

No hot water. Tired and dated communal areas. Tap in bath didn't work.

• Economy Family Room

They charged me parking fee even it was supposed to be for fre :(

Not much

• Classic Double Room

In the hotel was a wedding and was impossible sleep that night. We were very dissapointed.

Nice and comfort hotel. Nice and helpful employees.

terrible parking

nice place and view

Location is excellent, friendly staff.

• Classic Double Room

They are asking 25 euros for a spa even for hotel guests.

Need of AC. It was really hot in the room.

• Single Room with Extra Bed

it was noisy as my room was directly on stairways, so people went up/downstairs, i could hear.

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

• Comfort Double Room with 2 Extra Beds

The sound coming from the hall and the next room was as if there were no door or wall.

Great breakfast

• Reviewed: 12 April 2017

breakfast was so-so

• Reviewed: 10 March 2017

• Economy Family Room

Low cost rooms not worth the money, you can find better hotels in the town for the same money

Staff was very helpful

• Reviewed: 10 February 2017

• Economy Family Room

Very comfortable family hotel, perfect rooms, good price, many thanks, we will surely come back!

• Reviewed: 26 January 2017

• Economy Family Room

Very friendly family hotel, traditional, spaceful room, romantic wellness, helpful staff, many thanks, we will come back soon :-)

• Reviewed: 15 December 2016

• Economy Family Room

very friendly owners and staff, so traditional place, spacious room, good wifi

• Reviewed: 1 December 2016

• Economy Family Room

Perfect family hotel, very traditional, many thanxs. Very good breakfast and helpful receptionist.

• Reviewed: 9 November 2016

Great lication

• Reviewed: 13 October 2016

• Economy Family Room

Excellent breakfast outside overlooking the old town in full sunshine.

• Reviewed: 1 October 2016

• Economy Family Room

A bit confusing to find - there is a similarly named accommodation right around the same corner.

My review says it all - 9.6

• Reviewed: 28 September 2016

• Economy Family Room

The breakfast was very average

• Reviewed: 16 September 2016

• Comfort Double Room with 2 Extra Beds

No elevator to the top floors

• Reviewed: 14 September 2016

• Economy Family Room

Long outage of hot water.

• Reviewed: 8 September 2016

• Economy Family Room

bathroom was a bit dated

central location, spa facility, room size

• Reviewed: 8 September 2016

the whole hotel needs a quick renovation...

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

• Comfort Double Room with 2 Extra Beds

if you get a room into the street count with not falling asleep before late night....

great location, marvelous city, very good breakfast

• Reviewed: 4 August 2016

• Single Room with Extra Bed

The internet was poor in my room.

• Reviewed: 1 August 2016

Hotel has very good location in Banska Stiavnica

• Reviewed: 21 June 2016

• Economy Family Room

No curtain in the bath so everything will get wet.

The situation of the hotel is very convenient. The terrace to have breakfast is very nice.

• Reviewed: 10 May 2016

A bit of a disappointment that the restaurant actually in the hotel building was not open for anything other than breakfast

Super location, great staff and a clean and comfortable room

• Reviewed: 16 April 2016

The breakfast wasn't so good, especially the bread and the orange juice. The wellness was also a disappointment, it is old and have to be reconstructed. Be careful you need to book it in advance also and pay 26€, that's not indicated when you make your reservation on booking.

The location in the middle of the town is great.

• Reviewed: 12 March 2016

The lift was little bit scary but it gave the right feel to the place

cozy room,however,not too much Eggy bread for breakfast was highly appreciated We really did like the lobby (large space, aquarium)

• Reviewed: 4 February 2016

They are cheating on the wellness: making available only for reservation and charging for it. None of them announced or advertised anywhere - nor is an industry standard. At the recption lack of English speaking

Excellent breakfast, causy rooms,

• Reviewed: 28 November 2015

Jacuzzi is placed on the 5th floor. We stayed on the 3rd floor and the jacuzzi was very noticeable, it has been running even after 10PM. ask for a room on the opposite side of the hotel

Friendly staff, good position, good price

• Reviewed: 18 August 2015

It is one of those hotels in which you don't have curtain in shower. After using the shower the whole bathroom is absolutely wet. I will never understand it. Isn't it easy to make a curtain for shower?

There are also 39 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.

Browse Hotel & Penzión Grand Matej traveller photo gallery