Reviews of Hostel Blues 1 stars

Špitálska 2, 811 08 Bratislava, Slovakia

#20 of 104 hotels in Bratislava

Based on 702 hostel reviews

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room Ensuite

The dining area was the gloomiest I've seen so far...

The location is just perfect! I had a triple room for myself with shared bathroom and all worked just fine! Actually, nobody else around so basically I didn't have to share the bathroom :) The room was nice and clean and the guy at the reception very helpful.

• Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room Shared

They don't have breakfast, but there is a Tesco nearby.

The bed is comfortable, the bathroom and the shower are clean. They have big lockers to store your luggage and offers padlocks without costs.

• Triple Room Ensuite

I would recommend not to bother the guests with the demand to put off the sheet etc. and bring it to reception, since hostel is not military lodging house.

It is good and modern hostel, albeit in obsolete building. Staff helpful and willing.

• Double Room Ensuite

There was a little bit of noise in the night and early in the morning

The room was really beautiful, it was very close to the city centre and even if we arrived really earlier than check-in time they let us take a bath and gave us everything we need

nothing negative to say.

Two friends and I were only staying in Bratislava for one night so I had booked into Hostel Blues based on reviews and price. We had a triple ensuite room (one of the single beds was in a separate room which was a nice bonus) and were on the top floor, we also had a balcony which gave us wonderful views of the castle. The staff were fantastic in particular the young man on duty when we stayed 20/21 April, he spent time telling us where we should visit and places to eat / drink and couldn't have been more helpful. This is an excellent hostel to stay in (regardless of age). I highly recommend it to anyone visiting Bratislava and are looking for something clean, accommodating and inexpensive.

• Triple Room Ensuite

The shower is kinda dirty and clogged :( The towel given to us has unidentified black spot :(

The staffs were super friendly and helpful! The lift is so classic. I like lift that needs to open the door before entering. The hostel is near the tram stop which is like one or two minute walk. The old city is also a walking distance so it’s an extra there. We stayed in a private room, which is quite spacious.

• Bed in 8-Bed Dormitory Room Ensuite

The bed was very squeaky so everytime I changed position during the night it woke me up and probably my roommates too. So I did not have the best sleep unfortunately.

Super friendly staff, good beer, decent bathroom and toilet. Plenty of places to eat at nearby. You get a spacious locker with a lock as well which is nice. Easy to get in and out, but it is also safe.

• Double Room Ensuite

Fabulous hostel, great social atmosphere. Staff very friendly and have great recommendations! They do activities throughout the week- pub crawl, movie nights, cooking class etc. Very clean and modern, wonderfully decorated. Would stay again

• Suite (6 Adults) Ensuite

The toilet seat was broken.. and the flush wasn’t working all the time.. the terrace lacked chairs or tables to sit on.. they made us pay 10euros as they thought we smoked in the room.. we were in rush to negotiate so we just paid them..

The staff is nice.. we took an apartment and it was spacious! The terrace in the apartment was perfect! Though it needed chairs and tables to be able to use it.. the lobby had chips, water and beer which made life easier.. we so much enjoyed our stay..

• Bed in 4-Bed Dormitory Room Ensuite

It was just great. There was nothing I disliked.

The common area was amazing. Drinks served 24/7 in a nice and comfortable environment. The room was just great. By far, the best hostel in my trip.

• Triple Room Ensuite

We are not used to hostels, eventhough it was nice place with basic furniture. There was no remote-control for TV, the towels have to be picked up are at the reception and we were asked to bring the bed-linen by our check-out to the reception.

The staff was very nice and helpfull, the reception is opened nonstop, they have coffee and some drinks and wifi corner. They also offered free cooking lectures of traditional Slovak dish incl. dinner.

• Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room Shared

My friends and I were going to stay at an AirB&B in Bratislava, but it turned out the place might have been a scam (it's still not clear, but we definitely couldn't get in to the apartment). So we showed up to Hostel Blues and they immediately set us up, and moreover invited us to eat the results of a cooking class they held that afternoon. This place is very well located, has very clean and comfortable rooms, and feels very safe, on top of having a very friendly and kind staff. I cannot recommend this place highly enough

• Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room Shared

Lack of communication from the staff about things to do in town/ where the room was/ checkout process. The shower was a 'hold the handle above your head type' and if you mounted it the water just went straight out of the curtain and into the sink area.

Nice location, nice kitchen and communal space, great laundry facilities.

• Suite (6 Adults) Ensuite

No ventilation - the smell form the common kitchen is all around (our apartment was in the 6th floor). They wanted from us to pay 10 euro deposit per key (40 euros for 4 keys). This was really strange. We have to ask for the towels, but the girl on the reception didn`t mentioned this. But she don`t forget to mention that we`re obliged to take off our bed linen from the beds and to bring it to the reception in the morning.

Good location. The place is clean, the apartment (New York) has very spacious terrace with a panoramic view, but it will be really nice if there were a table and chairs on it. By my opinion the hostel is suitable for younger people.

• Triple Room Ensuite

The view from our appartment was amazing. We were on the 6th floor, we had spacious balcony, room and bathroom. Very good wi fi. Perfect location. Friendly staff.

• Bed in 8-Bed Dormitory Room Ensuite

Staff was amazing. At first day they gave us map and marked all interesting places near hostel to visit and also restaurants and pub with local food and beer. They actually made our weekend as we haven't got enough time to prepare before coming to Bratislava :) Also they were very helpful. After check-in I had no questions cause they already explained to us everything. Best hostel staff which I have ever met.

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room Ensuite

We had problems with our booking through this website. Our credit cards were tried to get charged but when low limit found reservations were cancelled. So I rebooked it again and this time they contacted me to say now I have duplicate reservations. There’s some mess with their usage of booking just do not give them a credit cards with limit while booking, and pay when you come here. Because of this, my friend could not rebook because the prices were too high and we had to move to another hostel for three days. Their business loss. Please note that; I had booked this place through another website before and did not have any problems. Perhaps the reason is the booking.com.

Nice place which is close to everywhere. Good vibe. I really liked this place two years ago and stayed here again. For that, I did not care much the problematic reservation process that mention in my “didn’t like” section.

• Bed in 8-Bed Dormitory Room Ensuite

No breakfast, not even an optional one. The couple in the bed under me who stage-whispered, giggled-loudly, and shook the bed at 4am. (but, like people snoring, I can't fault the hostel too much for that.) Faulty advice that the Red Stone Castle was only about 40 minutes away by a frequently running bus (it was actually 2 hours by an infrequent one).

Good location, good value, friendly staff. Extensive take-a-book-leave-a-book library. Plenty of information what to do, both day and night.

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room Ensuite

The Staff Is Helpful, There's Available games to be played, chess, cards, UNO. Beer price at the place isn't too expensive, access the elevator and the main doors with the same RFID.

• Bed in 4-Bed Dormitory Room Ensuite

Security is not so good. Guests were robbed while sleeping, while stepping into the bathroom for a minute. When a police report was made the police said this hostel has a problem with thefts. Room keys can be copied:( Not enough security cameras and reception cannot see who is entering the building.

The staff is nice and want to have you enjoy Bratislava.

• Bed in 6-Bed Female Dormitory Room Ensuite

The toilet and the bathroom are together.

Great location near the old town, very good connection to the public transport. In a walking distance there are a lot of restaurants and bars. The staff were very helpful and kind. Clean rooms with big lockers.

• Double Room Ensuite

Very basic facilities, bring your own toiletries and towel. Walls a little thin.

Super friendly staff, clean room, good location - a short distance from town centre. Very safe and secure.

• Reviewed: 16 December 2017

• Double Room Ensuite

Towels were not offered/given during check in, had to ask for it. Not a big deal.

Private Room w/ bathroom. Moscow Room A. Huge room. Plenty of space. Lots of plugs. Friendly and helpful staff. They have hair dryers to borrow. You will need to bring your own amenities like soap and shampoo which is typical of a hostel....

• Triple Room Ensuite

I think that for 54 euro per night , they should have ask us to bring ourselves the linen at reception at check out.

The staff at the reception was excellent. Especially the girls were very helpful, giving us all the information we needed plus excellent suggestions for food around the area

• Bed in 6-Bed Female Dormitory Room Ensuite

Wonderful location. Clean room. Quality bed linen and clean. Friendly atmosphere. Staff helpful and attentive. Even arriving before checkin time the room was cleared.

• Triple Room Ensuite

The heating was set to quite low temperature, so there was little bit colder from the beginning. The smalle room in Jerusalem has big window without curtains wich is disturbing because of billboard lightening outside.

Amazing location very close to the historical centre of Bratislava, public transport is just in front of the building. We stayed in top floor - 3 beds room Jerusalem - with wonderful view of the centre and Bratislava castle.

• Bed in 6-Bed Female Dormitory Room Ensuite

Through no fault of the hostel, when I came back to my room there was somebody sleeping in my bed. I had left out some things to use when I got back so I would not be disturbing anyone in the hostel. All my things were moved to another place in the room and there was somebody else sleeping in my bed.

The staff were extremely helpful and pleasant at all times. The WiFi was an excellent standard and worked all throughout the hostel. The facilities were excellent.

• Bed in 4-Bed Dormitory Room Ensuite

They replayed quite late (one day before I arrived and i sent the message week before), but finally they replayed ;)

Very friendly and helpfull staff, rooms are nice and cleaned every day. I got some good recommendations for free time.

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room Ensuite

Shower and toilet separate would have been a bonus

Reception staff were great couldn’t have been friendlier and were very knowledgeable about the area.

• Double Room Ensuite

Its getting very croudy during the check outs.

The place is near the old town and close to many restaurants and bars. Personnel is very helpful. There are also very good kitchen. Nice atmosphere.

The staff were great, everything was made so easy for us. The location is excellent, a very short walk to the main bars and pubs and overall fantastic value for money! Would definitely stay again.

• Bed in 4-Bed Dormitory Room Ensuite

I've got ugly weather, but cannot blame hostel for this :) Really, nothing to complain here.

Livable place. I had both good sleep and nice time in the evening. Lockers were big, the same about room size.

• Bed in 6-Bed Female Dormitory Room Ensuite

Bathroom needs more facilities, shower is not strong enough.

Nice staff, they are very informative! They provide hairdryer but you need to borrow it from reception.

• Double Room Ensuite

Noisy. If you don’t use the lift, to get in the room area you have to go through a gate in the 2nd floor staircase. While this is a good security mechanism to prevent people who are not staying in the hostel to access it, it was extremely noisy (it was a big metal gate). We could hear the gate closing an opening the entire night from our room.

Location and staff. Big room.

• Double Room Ensuite

Entrance to the hostel is a bit off-putting and unfriendly and would make some people, especially females, worry about how safe the hostel is. It would be better to make it more open, with a see-through gate ( if for security reason! ) where people can see a more friendly and welcoming inside ( i.e. with warm & welcoming decorations - something like your first floor reception ).

Good location, cleanliness, friendly and helpful staff.

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room Ensuite

As hot slept with windows open, but then local church bells ring all night. If goid sleeper you'll be fine. With windows shut dead quiet.

Staff are amazing and give great advice about what to do in Bratislava. Really friendly hostel. Good social area.

All was OK.

Nice friendly and helpful staff on the reception. Room and bathroom were clean, comfy bed. I stayed one night in this hostel and was fully satisfied.

• Bed in 8-Bed Dormitory Room Ensuite

Very small room ; toilets and rooms need to be thoroughly cleaned given its heavy traffic of travellers

Lift - this is what i like best when i have heavy luggages

• Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room Shared

The staff was very friendly and helpful. I liked the foosball table. It is easy to meet new people at the bar. The party with live music at their 10th anniversary was great. The metal door between the common room and the floors with the dorms gave me a safe feeling.

• Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room Shared

Bigger Kitchen when busy but who wants to rush when chilling on holiday smile

staff were great they were there all night if required, bar closed when you finished enjoying yourself, like we did,good music games and chat,thank's Hayley's DAD.

All was ok.

Amsterdam is a standard 8 bed dorm with bunks and communal toilets and showers (not en suite). Jerusalem is a 3 bed apartment with a/c, TV and balcony overlooking old town. if there are two of you, i'd book Jerusalem at €43 each as it's superior to the 8 bed dorm at €23 a head. Jerusalem takes 3 but one bed is in a non-a/c room ... good punishment for the snorer perhaps .... that would make it less than € 30 a head. Reception is 24/7. Nice communal area to chat, have a beer (€1.50) or a coffee (same price).

• Bed in 8-Bed Dormitory Room Ensuite

Location was not so interesting place. (still walking distance to city center)

The friendliest staff ever! They give very good introduction about the city upon arrival. They have a nice hang out area, so it's easy to meet people if you are traveling alone.

• Suite (6 Adults) Ensuite

No fan in the bigger room...

Was cosy and value for money, also located in a good location in Bratislava. Will definitely stay again if visiting again.

• Bed in 8-Bed Dormitory Room Ensuite

Wasn't the most modern but it's a great wee hostel i'd recommend to any one.

Bar crawl is a must, as is having a can of beer in the bar to meet other travelers. Staff are very friendly.

• Bed in 6-Bed Female Dormitory Room Ensuite

They charge me in place and they should tell me first via email maybe. Usually, every hostel charge you when you book online (i choose non refund) luckly, i bring my credit card.

The staffs are really nice. The facilities are great. The kitchen is clean and the room is great. The location just perfect.

• Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room Shared

the bathrooms are to small. and no so clean

the location is near the old town the train station is a 20 minutes by walking and the bus station 10 - 15 minutes. the security is good. is a bar in the hostel so you can get some beers and some food.

• Bed in 4-Bed Dormitory Room Ensuite

I did say a mixed dorm was ok, but I was the only female and 3 new guys each night. I will go for a female dorm next time, I think. But some of the guys were very nice and polite.

Staff were very helpful and it was a great location. There were great ideas for activities in the reception area.

• Bed in 8-Bed Dormitory Room Ensuite

Needs to provide air conditioner

The room has a great size. It provides a night lamp and a power outlet for each guest, clean room and toilets, good location for the lockers.

• Bed in 8-Bed Dormitory Room Ensuite

I guess the most positive advances of this hostel are location and staff.To reach the center of the center you have to spent few minutes by foot.The staff is really helpful with a lot of free tips,maps and vouchers.

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

• Bed in 6-Bed Female Dormitory Room Ensuite

The cooking class on the day I arrived was great. Comfy beds, good view from the room. Convenient, cold drinks from reception. Helpful staff. Secure bike storage, reasonably priced laundry.

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room Ensuite

Some of the staff should take some customer service intensive course. Unfortunately, at the beginning of my staying I had some issues exchanging my money, but nothing that couldn't have been sorted out with a couple of calls and emails. So instead of trying to come up with a solution for everyone, one of the staff members started to lecture me about how I should use my money all around the world. As you can see, it makes no sense at all. What it only showed is how well they are going to treat you if a more serious problem comes up.

I liked the room where I stayed. I was lucky to find out that my room had its own private room. It made things way easier and comfortable. I also liked the huge locker that they provide you with. Safety is a huge concern when staying at hostels but this time there was nothing to be worried about.

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

• Bed in 8-Bed Dormitory Room Ensuite

1 bathroom for 6 beds. For me it wasnt a problem cause the room werent full, but i guess it can be a bit painful if the all room want to take shower at same time!

staff were friendly and helpful good location clean good comon room

• Reviewed: 29 April 2017

• Bed in 6-Bed Female Dormitory Room Ensuite

Hostel Blues was a really sociable, fun place to stay. It was relaxed but also had a lot going on if you wanted to join others. The beds were really comfy and it was quiet at night. The staff members are so nice and the time they took at the beginning to run through all their recommendations in Bratislava was a really nice touch!

• Bed in 8-Bed Dormitory Room Ensuite

Felt bad for other couple we had to share rm with cause we have snorers. Tight space for a rm for 8.

Staff were VERY friendly and helpful, accommodating, someone was always at desk 24 hrs, location good, next to tram station,

• Reviewed: 7 March 2017

• Double Room Ensuite

I think the hostel could offer a breakfast.

The hostel has a perfect locationm in a walking distance to main attractions of the old city. There are good bars and restaurants nearby.

• Reviewed: 30 January 2017

• Bed in 6-Bed Female Dormitory Room Ensuite

The room is spacious, clean and comfortable. Locker is provided. Very nice and helpful staffs. The location is closed to the tourist spots, easy access to public transport to central train station and airport.

• Reviewed: 16 January 2017

• Bed in 8-Bed Dormitory Room Ensuite

Each bed has plug, light. Room heated, windows. Own bathroom and toilet; separate. Quiet in rooms. Common room - good vibes and bar there, but it's got the balance of travellers and chat on point. Can chill on your own if you want too. Staff friendly and helpful w info. Did pub crawl - great night, worth it. Met great people here. Kitchen facilities - good. With heavy bags? Elevator. Yay. Stay here!

• Reviewed: 11 December 2016

• Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room Shared

One toilet for 8 people is not enough.

The stuff and the location are great. Everything is very clean! I liked the fact that there is a big common area where people can hang out.

• Reviewed: 23 November 2016

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room Ensuite

Pillow could be a bit bigger

Very well located, very comfortable, great value for money. Staff was friendly. We travelled in a group and all were accommodated in the same room. Thank you!

• Reviewed: 21 October 2016

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room Ensuite

The beds is not that good. The showers were overflowing after one minute. The lounge area are kind of gross in daylight :)

Great staff. You will get a lot of information and tips what to do during you visit in Bratislava. The staff will take good care of you. Big rooms and lockers. Free towel.

• Double Room Ensuite

The ambience was cool and relaxed, we met nice travellers with great attitude! The walls were brightened and made funny by some decorations on the musical theme and on the journey

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

• Quadruple Room Ensuite

We were surprised to find no towels in the room (we had a private room), and had to go to the reception to ask for some.

Good location, just outside of old town. Clean room with a good view on the street, helpful and friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

• Bed in 6-Bed Female Dormitory Room Ensuite

The staff was excellent! I mean the checking in took half an hour because the person at the front desk to out time to explain each and every thing,from places to eat to tours to take and sites to see.for someone who had reached there unplanned this was great! The hostel is clean,and has great vide. Nice place to meet new people.

• Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room Shared

Had a really good experience here and would recommend it to anyone staying in Bratislava. The staff were really good, especially the woman who was working the night shift. After a long trip it was great to be greeted by such a warm person. I stayed in a five bunk room and the bed was really comfy, it was easy to sleep on. The shower and toilet was in the little area outside the room and both were clean and efficent. Security at this hostel is superb. You get a fob to get you in the building, then have to use it to get through a big iron door on the stairs past reception. Then you use it again to get into each cluster area and finally you use your key to get into your room. They give you a lock and key for your locker too. As for the location, it's very close to the centre. I walked to the main bus station in 15 minutes, you can get to the train station in about the same time. It's near a huge Tesco, which also has a superb food stall tucked away at the back (four euros for a plate that filled me up all day). There are lots of places to eat nearby and little bars away from the centre if that's what you prefer. There is a park about five minutes away to relax in. I'd definitely stay here again. You can have a few drinks too before going out at the bar. I didn't use the kitchen but it was clean and seemed to have everything you would need. The morning I left the woman on reception was very helpful with finding bus times. And during my stay the guy there in the day lent me a power adaptor for my phone. It's little touches like this that make the difference to travelling and so I'd really recommend giving Hostel Blues a try.

• Reviewed: 28 August 2016

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room Ensuite

The room cost included a tax fee that wasn't included in the price on the external booking site. The property was okay but the noise of the traffic bothered our room in the nights. Towel that was included in the price was merely the size of a hand towel. Also the common toilet spaces had an unpleasant smell. Otherwise the location is good and the staff is very warm hearted and helpful in giving tips on where to go and what to do in the Bratislava. Overall had a fun stay in Hostel Blues.

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

Maybe squeaky beds.

Staff was great, the hostel is near the city centar, looked clean thou I was there only for the night. And don't miss FREE TOUR, Dominika your're the BEST!

• Reviewed: 9 August 2016

• Bed in 6-Bed Dormitory Room Ensuite

Location is great, the staff are brilliant - they helped me so much, they are very knowledgeable & friendly. I was traveling solo and found it so easy to meet people here. My 6 bed dorm had lots of room and the pillows were really comfortable :)

• Reviewed: 6 August 2016

• Bed in 8-Bed Dormitory Room Ensuite

They don't have AC or fan. In the hottest summer you need to open the window and the noise from the street would come into your room for the whole night.

The property's location is very strategic. The city centre is just a 5 minutes walking away. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The facilities were clean and neat. You can't ask for more, it's just perfect with the value of money.

• Reviewed: 6 August 2016

• Bed in 8-Bed Dormitory Room Ensuite

Everything!! Really friendly and helpful staff, excellent communal area, bar crawl leaves the hostel every night, rooms were clean, tidy and comfortable. Best place I've stayed

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

• Bed in 8-Bed Dormitory Room Ensuite

It was a really good place for my to stay. It is fairly cheap, the location is great and staff are really friendly and helpful. The common room is a really nice place to meet people and make friends.

• Reviewed: 1 August 2016

• Bed in 8-Bed Mixed Dormitory Room Shared

I thought that the price was a bit expensive for what you got, compared to some other hostels I've stayed in during my travels. However, it could be that hostel prices are just more in Bratislava overall.

The Hostel was a really easy 15 min walk to/from the main bus station.

• Reviewed: 28 July 2016

• Bed in 8-Bed Dormitory Room Ensuite

The rooms are super super hot - the only area to be cooled is the reception area, where the staff are. The windows don't have fly-screens - so leaving them open to try & circulate air, means biting bugs come in (there is a fly-screen in the kitchen only) I think that the price of this is fairly high considering the other hostels in this street & that the laundry facilities should be free.

It was in a good location, only minutes walk from Old Town Its right beside the Tesco & Lidl shops for supplies It has lockers in the rooms The staff are friendly & some of them helpful. Jakob was really good & welcoming

• Reviewed: 21 July 2016

• Triple Room Ensuite

The people workng there were really helpful. Pati gave us a virtual tour of thr city and helped us schedule. The hostrl has a good feel about it. Met new people

• Reviewed: 19 July 2016

• Quadruple Room Ensuite

It was a huge problem that we arrived separately (first of us afternoon, the rest at evening), the staff was unable handle this correctly. You cannot check in without 40 EUR deposit, and you cannot read about this at booking.com. The room and the sheets was really smelly and when you check out, you have to bring with you the sheets and the towels to the reception. The apartman was highly noisy.

The common kitchen is well-equipped. The location is also good.

• Reviewed: 16 July 2016

• Bed in 4-Bed Dormitory Room Ensuite

Although the room was clean, I saw two huge cockroaches in our room during my three-night stay, which was very unpleasant to say the least. Bed wasn't very comfortable. Due to the scorching hot weather the temperature of our room was very high but there was no air-conditioning and only two tiny electric fans for the whole room.

Very friendly and helpful staff. Good location, close to city centre and the Old Town. Room was generally kept clean. A huge locker for each guest, which was great. Strong wifi in our room.

Browse Hostel Blues traveller photo gallery