Reviews of Prince Hotel 2 stars

3 Tai Wang Road, A.Muang, Chang Moi, 50300 Chiang Mai, Thailand

#552 of 653 hotels in Chiang Mai

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Room was very clean. We had a very nice balcony and the bed was so comfortable and massive. Hotel was quiet which was good. We basically had the whole place to ourselves including the 2 pools.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The pool area could have been a little more comfortable.

Loved the room here, the bed was incredibly comfortable, the air con worked perfectly so the room was never too cold or hot and the shower was great! The pool area was nice - maybe a little tired but aside from that it was lovely. There were two pools, one really big and both a good temperature. Staff were helpful as we booked at the very last minute after our previous hotel was not suitable. Walking distance to a lot of attractions including Old Town Chiang Mai and Warorot Market.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The bathroom smelled. Staff were not very helpful. The bed was very hard and uncomfortable. The wifi in our room was weak.

The pool was nice, though the chairs were pretty broken. The room was spacious.

Dirty bathroom. Very delapidated hotel undergoing refurb. Noisy workers.

Comfy bed but the bathroom was dirty. No walk in shower. Shower curtain was dirty. Nice pool but uncomfortable sunbeds

The place is very large and doesn't have much character. If you want something a bit more quirky you may want to look elsewhere. And my ratings are based on the new pricier rooms. I also saw the cheaper rooms which I would avoid as they looked very outdated and grim (although bed looked ok). But if you don't care about that and just want somewhere to put your head down at night they'll probably be ok.

The newer rooms facing the pool are nice, clean and light. At 850 baht it's quite reasonable compared to other places so centrally located. The larger pool is a good size and clean. Quite a decent location with plenty of cheap thai food places nearby and others catering to tourists.

I combined leisure with online work and - because of good reviews on internet speed - I booked here. Outcome: ex-cel-lent wifi. The staff was very helpful moving me to a better room near the router. The pool is nice with sun all day. It's an easy walk to the Night Bazaar, Loikroh or the Old Town (Moat area). Will stay here again.

It's being renovated but I knew this from previous reviews, no problem for me but the whole place reminded me of the Shining Hotel - which is pretty cool actually :) No restaurant nor shop close by but within 5 minutes walking distance.

Balcony and 2 gorgeous pools! Only 10/15 minute walk into town along nice safe busy streets. Staff very kind in offering advice and when I needed to get to the airport quickly, one staff member drove me to the market on her scooter (suitcase and all) to catch a tuk tuk.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The restaurant and bar that apparently they used to have were closed for renovations. So that was a disappointment.In fact the whole place is being renovated,looks like it will be a long time till things go back to normal, whatever that is.. Very few appealing restaurants or cafes in that area.We took a tuktuk down to the night market every night for dinner.

Old-fashioned but kind of nice in an outdated way.Spacious rooms, big balcony.Staff quite helpful once they got to know us.Pool was extremely pleasant and very clean.Big thick towels and nice hard bed.

Haunted, dirty, lack of decoration and comforting. Bathroom floor, tub and room floor were dusty. Too large for its own good with empty hallways. Looks like it was only half built and forgotten. Unfriendly staff.

Great location especially for the lantern festival. Right by the ping river.

A little bit old but they have every facilities you need

Good location, friendly staff, room with nice balcony. A little bit old but reasonable with price. Peachful area, near local market and river, Easy to access center of city. Staff let us early check in if they have room available. That’s so great cus we had a long night bus.

• Reviewed: 14 February 2017

Oh well, where to start... dirty hallways, broken lights, constructions everywhere, old and dark rooms, smelly and scary... -mosquitos love it but we would just not recommend to go there.

Great staff, comfortable beds and fresh towels everyday

• Reviewed: 2 February 2017

An older hotel that needs a little tender loving care (in the corners) but always clean sheets!

I have stayed here many times! There are some 'long term' tenants who stay here on a monthly basis. It is an older hotel that always had clean bedding and a brand new swimming pool (bonus).

• Reviewed: 31 January 2017

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Bathroom needing updating,stained bath and sink. Renovation works noisy when trying to relax around pool.

Huge room, comfortable bed. Clean sheets and towels every day. Pool was clean and cool and a good size for swimming in. Quiet location. 10 mins to old own and Chinese night market. Good value for money.

• Reviewed: 23 January 2017

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The jacuzzi was not warm, it was just another pool but smaller. The bed was a bit hard.

We arrived early in Chiang Mai, 7.30am, and we allowed to have our room early. The staff showed us our room, and how to work the tv and ac. Our room did not have a fridge in it, but that was ok for us. However, after being out all day touring around, we came back to our room to find a brand new fridge (the tape was still on the inside drawers). How great! Room 505 was nice, good view too. Wifi was good in our room and at the pool area.

• Reviewed: 4 January 2017

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

When you want to pay by credit card at the hotel they charge a surcharge of 3%. An optical computer mouse will not work on the glass plate over the wooden table plate. So a sheet of paper between mouse and glass will be needed. The room has a balcony but can't use it because there is no door to go outside. Only some windows.

The room was nice, the bed comfortable. There is a water boiler and big refrigerator and also a writing table with chair and also 2 armchairs (without "arms" ;-) ) and small table between. Inside the cabinet is a safety deposit box but with key not number code. I think for the key one has to ask at the reception. The bathroom was ok. WiFi also ok. The pools looks nice but I didn't try.

• Reviewed: 1 January 2017

Excessive charges for pets. everything is old. The receptionist (the young one) was always busy on the phone chatting with a friend or singing loudly! she was never there to help customers. when a guest wanted a map she happily said "no map. all finish" so I as a fellow guest went to another hotel and got these people maps so that they would not miss what chiang mai had to offer

nice bed but old hotel too expensive for what it is

• Reviewed: 17 November 2016

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

I assume the hotel was pretty much one of the best in the 90s but came into age. Value for money is low when it comes to non-existing swimming pool and no breakfast is provided. The big swimming pool that is illustrated on the homepage so nicely was out of service due to construction works taking place. We were not informed about that, otherwise we would have cancelled our stay there. There are plenty of hotels in Chiang Mai for less money but more athmosphere. We are very disappointed about the fact that the hotel manager did not apologize for the inconvenience appropriately. I recommend to pay for the hotel at the end of the stay after checking if all facilities and services are available. We were requested to pay upon arrival which is quite unnormal and which led us to much trouble in the end. To be fair I guess the hotel would be a good choice if you are able to use the big swimming pool or at least if you take the risk to not getting what is promised on the website but you are willing to pay the full room fare.

The hotel is located well between old town and river in a calm but nice area. Rooms are big and very clean.

• Reviewed: 16 November 2016

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Staff were extremely helpful when we asked about booking a bus to Chiang rai. They phoned the bus company to ask if we should pre-book or purchase on the day. Our room was clean and spacious and so to was the bathroom which even had a bath. There is a pool but we didn't get to try it out. Only a 10 min walk max to old city.

• Reviewed: 10 July 2016

Building work happened in the room next to us in the early morning but we asked the manager for it to stop and he told them to start again once we checked out which was good. Rooms could do with modernising.

Such lovely friendly staff Pool was new as I think they have been renovating the property. Owner even drove us to get money ex changed.

• Reviewed: 5 July 2016

The hotel was empty and I was a little worried being a female on my own. Power went out in my room 2 nights and I had to get the manager to fix it. Bed wasn't comfortable. I changed hotels to one that was busier.

The location was handy to markets and the old city and the pool was good.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Hotel is tired, needs upgrading at some point, would not stay longer than 2 days.

Staff very helpful and friendly.

Bed is a little hard.

A beautiful clean pool, great location, nice big room with balcony. Will stay here again.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

construction at the facility made outside around pool dirty

great pool, big enough to do laps. comfy bed

WiFi sucks

Everything good

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

good value for money ,nice pool

We would have liked breakfast but they no longer do.

The bed was large and so very comfy.

swimming pool interior decor

• Reviewed: 7 March 2017

the staff was not kind

the pool was very new and perfect

• Reviewed: 10 February 2017

The bed was a bit hard

The pool was good

• Reviewed: 7 February 2017

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Showers - cold all the time

Nice bar/restaurant next door with very friendly staff

• Reviewed: 1 February 2017

Staff wasn't very helpfull.

The pool was ok.

• Reviewed: 23 December 2016

Nothing really.

Price and staff.

• Reviewed: 22 November 2016

This is an old hotel that has seen better days. The large pool in the photo is empty and doesn't look to be filled anytime soon.

• Reviewed: 23 October 2016

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The staff were amazing. So nice

• Reviewed: 8 July 2016

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Superb location, great swimming pool, super friendly staff. Have stayed here a number of times over the years and never disappointed...

• Reviewed: 21 February 2016

The room I was given wasn't the one in the photo and was very shabby and poor with stained paintwork and tiles. They eventually agreed to upgrade me to the one in the photo after some haggling "in a couple of days" but I wasn't staying. I've read this before and thought why bother saying, but the "double" bed was two singles pushed together and was rock hard. Other than the lobby the place was littered with construction materials and junk. Sorry but this hotel has seen better days and although reasonably cheap was not worth even that. I can only get the owner credit for agreeing to refund my deposit without too much fuss. Also although handy to night bazaar it was very hard to find, even for locals

Nothing really, I moved out after the first day.

• Reviewed: 17 February 2016

The room is too old,and the last day the stuff order a taxi for us to the arcade bus station and it costed 300 bah, it's too much

The location is very good, you can arrive at the old town in 10 mins on foot

• Reviewed: 27 January 2016

Overall, the rooms just weren't very clean, especially the bathroom. The building is very old, and I think they are trying to renovate. Also, there were a crazy amount of mosquitoes inside the hotel.

The hotel is in a good location for getting around Chaing Mai. The beds were quite comfortable.

• Reviewed: 22 January 2016

NO hot water - shower was a trickle of cold water Bed was hard Lots of mosquitoes in the hotel

Swimming pool was ok - very cold though Could rent motorcycle from hotel 200baht/24hours

• Reviewed: 7 January 2016

The bed is worst I stayed, it caused my back and waist pain after one night sleep. The shower is not good, and just warm, not hot.

The staff is friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2015

--Great price for a hotel within a 10-min walk of the Old City's east gate ("Tapae Gate") --Nice refreshing pool --You can see the hotel was once a very nice hotel but that time has taken its toll on the facilities. Nevertheless, it is still well maintained and well run and a great deal for the price! No complaints!

• Reviewed: 10 August 2015

No complaints.

I really liked the value and it only takes 5 minutes to walk to the main old town area. Bam at the front desk was incredible. It was a busy Saturday and she was running around the place literally. She was fantastic.

• Reviewed: 30 July 2015

Everything was bad the place is dirty and creepy and looks nothing like the pictures the pool is full of weeds my room door did not lock I checked in at 9pm and checked out 7am the next morning.

Nothing !!!!

• Reviewed: 18 July 2015

shower not powerful swimming pool has lots of chemicals in and turned my girlfriends hair green so we were not able to use it again. I advice anyone with light blonde hair not to get your hair wet as it is very hard to get out and required me buying various products

good sized swimming pool good location nice room

• Reviewed: 4 July 2015

Half of the hotel is still a building site. The pool was lovely, but when we asked to use the jacuzzi the staff refused to turn it on. Bed was uncomfortable and bathroom was mouldy. We asked how much it would be to have some laundry cleaned and we were told the cost is per item, which didn't bother us. But when we came to collect it they tried to charge us 600 baht! After we counted all the items with them the bill was 350 baht. To top it off they charged us 500 baht because I'd spilt a small bit of suncream on the duvet cover.

Great location to see Chiang Mai

• Reviewed: 21 March 2015

Booking.com 的資料沒說泳池要收費的, 去到才知道要80 Baht. 洗澡水忽冷忽熱, 若不洗冷水, 必定燙傷。 I was attracted by the photo of swimming pool and I was not informed that I have to pay an extra fee for it. This is the first time a hotel charges me for using the swimming pool (80 Baht). The shower water switches from cold water to boiling water and then cold water and then boiling water, it hurts!

Quite room good for sleeping 安靜睡得好

• Reviewed: 6 March 2015

One of the small windows in our room was broken, allowing mosquitos free passage. A pretty weird sight, but it was promptly fixed the next day after notifying staff. While the pool was clean, it didn't seem properly chlorinated. Only a handful of sunchairs available, expect settling for a regular chair in the peak hours.

The first thing you'll notice when you enter your room is that the hotel's decor is old. Like, as if someone built it back in 1940 and never looked back. Unless you particularly care about the interior design there's a lot to love though: the rooms are spacious, bathrooms have a bathtub/shower separate from the toilet, the airco is new and working well, have a fridge (two complimentary water bottles a day). Thorough wifi coverage with two accesspoints on each floor. Free tea and (instant) coffee in the lobby. Decent location on a smaller road (only some faint traffic sounds at night), with a 10-15 minute walk to most destinations. Fairly secluded pool area.

• Reviewed: 27 February 2015

Hotel is very dated now and the online pictures show it as it used to be. Needs updating.

Has a great pool but limited and old dated sun loungers. Friendly staff. Good value for money if on a budget.

• Reviewed: 24 February 2015

The staff wasn't very helpful and at times were a bit rude.

Great location right by Chinatown. The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable.

• Reviewed: 18 February 2015

No restaurant but within minutes of a couple of cafés and the food market

The hotel is good value for money, the pool is nice and the wifi is good. Within walking distance of the evening food market. Staff are friendly & rooms are comfortable and clean.

• Reviewed: 12 February 2015

No restaurant available but there is plenty as soon as you walk out the door.

The staff were great. WiFi was excellent. The location was quite but had everything with in a short walk or bike ride.

• Reviewed: 11 February 2015

Shower not too great but enough hot water to use the bath tub, street noise is a problem.

Comfortable bed, wifi good, swimming pool, lift to upper floors, free water, tea coffee, helpful staff, grand old foyer elegant furnishings.

• Reviewed: 11 January 2015

Nothing this time.

The room is decorated with traditional Thai style. The staff there can speak good English and they are very helpful. Location is great. Though not in the old city, it only takes five to ten minutes to walk to the old city. There is a bank nearby and Tesco is just in the corner. Good value. I would recommend this hotel to others.

• Reviewed: 1 January 2015

The place looked like an old renaissance house. The bathroom is not cleaned properly. The water heater stops at some point. The facility is really old! The pictures they posted online are exactly the opposite from what it really looked like in reality. They have dirty old fridges lined up on the hall. Artworks on the wall is scary and aweful. No breakfast, very expensive. The whole stay is NO GOOD at all. I will NEVER recommend this hotel to anybody.

None.

• Reviewed: 25 April 2016

Great value for money in a good location

• Reviewed: 16 April 2016

Restaurant no longer operating .

Excellent pool area. Great price .

• Reviewed: 8 April 2016

Location was awful. There was a building site right next to the hotel.

Pool was nice.

• Reviewed: 21 March 2016

The pool and the room was ok

The pool and the

• Reviewed: 16 March 2016

Loads of mosquitos. No breakfast or fresh coffee.

Central enough. Nice pool. Fridge, a/c, nice staff.

• Reviewed: 16 March 2016

The hotel is really aged but still comfortable.

The location is great especially for this price.

• Reviewed: 25 February 2016

Location and it would be nice to have some services restaurant and bar

Great lobby nice big room and a nice pool

• Reviewed: 19 February 2016

super retro In need of major restoration Full of old retired English and Italians

Location Wifi Pool Bed

• Reviewed: 14 February 2016

The building was old, toilet was dirty and staff was not flexible

The location is not far from attraction but not in the center as so not crowded

• Reviewed: 12 January 2016

To location is very close to the center. There is a swimming pool were spent time after city tour.

• Reviewed: 2 January 2016

old fashioned roomes

• Reviewed: 31 December 2015

Close to everything, good price, old Thai feel, and very friendly, helpful staff.

• Reviewed: 30 December 2015

Not a lot

Good Swimming pool, good WIFI, good location.

• Reviewed: 24 December 2015

Room is not so clean.

The location is great - it's close to everything.

• Reviewed: 20 December 2015

The outside space and the pool are very nice. The rooms are a little quirky but we enjoyed them.

• Reviewed: 17 November 2015

Some parts of the hotel needs renovation.

Nice pool, nice big rooms, everything works, neart the foodstore and small kiosks.

• Reviewed: 11 November 2015

Could use some updating and renovation.

Location, pool, history.

• Reviewed: 20 October 2015

Not there yet. Place tired and worn. I see they are trying

Potential. Staff

• Reviewed: 20 September 2015

No hot water .cold shower every day ch

Staff ok location ok

• Reviewed: 22 August 2015

Very nice stuff!! Very helpful!! Hotel is fancy and comfortable. Pool was ok, not far to chinatown and noghtmarket. All in all, WE were pleased.

• Reviewed: 18 August 2015

The staff are so helpful, the lobby and rooms kept clean and the position is only a walk or short tuk tuk drive to most shops and markets

There are also 21 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.

Browse Prince Hotel traveller photo gallery