Reviews of Shanghai Mansion Bangkok 4 stars

479 - 481 Yaowaraj Rd., Samphanthawong, 10100 Bangkok, Thailand

#266 of 1,238 hotels in Bangkok

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room with Free Minibar

When booking it was advertised that for every night you stay, you'd recieve 1 complimentary see - you could choose from; a massage, drinks in the Jazz bar, dim sum tea session or Chinatown walking tour. We were going to opt for massages which swayed us to make the booking, when asking about it we were then informed this was unavailable, which was disappointing as it was blatantly advertised. The rooms don't have proper windows (understandably due to the location) but it makes the standard double rooms very dark at every hour of the day.. we slept round to 1:30pm!! Because no natural light we didn't know what the time was; we only woke up due to a little girl running around and laughing in the hallway. Side note: we later upgraded and although no proper window, natural light came through, so if you don't want to set an alarm, definitely go for a more deluxe room

1. Staff were brilliant 2. Jazz bar was fantastic and the singers were great 3. Hotel was immaculately clean and tidy; very serene and peaceful which is exactly what you need in China town. 4. The Koi Carp were a lovely addition, the decoration was beautiful 5. The deluxe room we upgraded to was awesome, lovely bathroom and bath, big comfy bed.

• Special Offer - Deluxe Double Room with Free Minibar

The bed was hard but huge

We loved the beautiful decor of the hotel! It felt really special and different. The bar area was great fun and the breakfast was incredible!!

Absolutely beautiful and unique designer boutique hotel with exceptionally friendly, professional staff. Set in a unique location in Chinatown. Exceeded all expectations. And the Negronis and Dim Sums at Red Rose Bar are excellent!

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room with Free Minibar

The koi pond was amazing and just beautiful. The furnishings were also just beautiful. Plenty of lovely bright colours. We only stayed overnight after catching a late flight into Bangkok. The hotel’s close location to the train station was perfect for us. We were lucky enough to have access to the mini bar free of charge. Staff were extremely helpful. Wouldn’t hesitate to stay there again, would love to see more of the hotel.

Free minibar held water and 2 soft drinks

Live jazz in the bar which is open to the street at front. Watch the bustle of Chinatown while sipping a cocktail. Breakfast was good and served in a lovely room.

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room with Free Minibar

Rooms, also nicely designed, are rather basic and not entirely comfortable. Bathroom is basic. Attention regarding design was very nice, but comfort and quality were not on the same level.

Central Chinatown, good location to start exploring the area. Staff is friendly, complimentary snacks and drinks, very unique and beautiful Chinese interior design.

• Special Offer - Deluxe Double Room with Free Minibar

Rooms a little dark, fine for the evening but bit strange in the day.

Lovely decor, very different Bar area fabulous Amazing street food next to the hotel

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room with Free Minibar

Big and staff was outstanding. Very friendly and helpful. The young ladies that gave me and my wife the massage were great at what they do. I will do it over and over again. I will be back.

- no windows in the room; dark - leaking AC

Design is great Personnel is really friendly & fast possibility to have lunch/dinner at the hotel

Soroka can be slightly musty. They had a massive corporate event literary outside our room

Funky themed rooms and public spaces. Right in he heart of crazy Bangkok Chinatown

• Special Offer - Family Suite with Free Minibar

The Jazz bar was too noisy (but this is a matter of taste)

Rooms had been very comfortable and quiet to relax. Food was excellent but a bit pricy. Staff was very child friendly

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room with Free Minibar

Only tiny comment is the amount of natural light in the core rooms, as they look over an indoor central courtyard there was not a huge amount of light but they're very clear about this when booking and you can always pay a bit more to have a street facing room. Other than that, faultless.

Really lovely stay at the hotel - enormous comfy bed, beautiful range of breakfast foods and extraordinary location right in the heart of bustling China Town. Love the special little freebies they offer with each stay and the staff were professional, friendly and extremely helpful. If we ever come back to Bangkok we'll be back!

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room with Free Minibar

Air conditioning thermostat didn’t really work leaving us the choice of artic cold or a little too warm (although we didn’t actually have a chance to report this to see if it could be fixed).

Beautiful hotel with wonderful rooms. Included a complimentary 1hour foot massage (we upgraded to a 1hour full body massage for a very small fee)! Atmospheric lobby and bar with tasteful live music. Lovely toiletries in the room and complimentary mini bar. Would love to return!

• Special Offer - Deluxe Double Room with Free Minibar

There was a large function in the hotel, with tables up right outside our door. Party guests were bumping into our hotel room door, and the noise was very loud until 10pm-ish. We were tired from traveling and found that all unexpected and quite disturbing though thankfully it didn’t continue into the night.

Great central location, staff was very friendly and helpful. Free massages were nice.

• Special Offer - Suite with Free Minibar

Despite I liked the design, it could be improved (e.g. real Chinese door/window frames rather than veneer, or a cabinet to hide the - small and not useful - TV). The staff at the bar could have a better (Chinese style?) uniform.

The atrium is impressive, and the overall design makes you feel you are back in 1930es Shanghai. The room was huge, and the jazz cafe with live music was a very welcome cozy spot after a walk in busy Chinatown.

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room with Free Minibar

The windows are not openable and you cannot even look through due to the color and type of glass. However, they are part of decoration so it is only for information purposes - it was not a problem for us.

This hotel is very eclectic in style: mix of Shanghai decadent and modern western. Rooms are comfortable and stylish as well. You enter the main area and feel like in other town and in other time. So amazing! Location is fantastic as it is not only within chinese district but it is quite close to the river, to the railway station but also not so far from such attractions like Royal Palace. You can use tuk-tuk or taxi waiting at the hotel door, take a guided tour offered in reception or just take a bus no 1 on the stop on the opposite side of the street and enjoy Bangkok! We had special offer with complimentary choice of attractions for each night and it was fantastic. We were 3 nights so we choose dinner in Red Rose Restaurant that was so tasty and massage which upgraded to full body was very good after long day sightseeing. Finally we decided also for walk with the guide in chinese district and it was great. We highly appreciate this!

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room with Free Minibar

The matrass on the bed is extremely hard and uncomfortable and the wooden bed is squeeking every time you make a move. The noise the bed produces is very annoying

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room with Free Minibar

Bed is very firm and could be a bit softer. There is no window in the room

The hotel is great and really well decorated. The pictures on the website are accurate. You feel good in this hotel, which is in the middle of chinatown. The district is very convenient for its location : close to the metro & train station. In the evening, there are hundreds of places for street food all around the hotel. Breakfast is also very diverse.

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room with Free Minibar

My Room lacked natural light, my colleagues was better.

Exillerateing Chinese Decor, Exotic Bedroom Styling, Excellent Breakfast in lovely light filled comfortable salon. Very friendly and efficient staff.

We just didn't have time to enjoy..

We only had stopover so not enough time to enjoy the hotel but we had a great massage in the morning before going to the airport to continue our flight. I would definitely recommend a massage here. Very well decorated, cosy.

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room with Free Minibar

The amenities was never replaced/filled up. House keeping is not well. We ran out of showel gel on the last day because they dídnt check and renew.

Decoration Staffs friendly Great Reception, front office staff and bell man Very friendly and nice Great support, helpful and responsible

• Special Offer - Deluxe Double Room with Free Minibar

As I mentioned no one informed us about the room change. It didn't have a bathtub as would have been in the room booked. Also the street is quite loud at night. Housekeeping came at 5pm, but it looked like one person had to do our whole floor, so not really her fault.

Very nice style, free amenities are cool, breakfast is great and has a nice selection. We got a different room than booked, although no one told us that, but from the pictures it looks like the family suite. The room was huge and had a lot of windows and a view down to the main street with all the action going on. It was nicely designed.

• Special Offer - Suite with Free Minibar

we had a suite and it was so worth the money - not only a huge bed for sleeping in at night, but also a lounge area with a daybed, and a sitting out area on the terrace by large fish pond. The free standing bath was fabulous - as was the shower. The breakfasts were fantastic - plentiful and a full and varied choice of good food from both europe and asian cuisine. The jazz musicians each evening in the bar were of a good quality and sound and were worth staying in for.

• Special Offer - Family Suite with Free Minibar

the beds are very hard. The free mini bar deal is absolute rot as it only has 1 BEER in it and a tiny packet of crisps and 3 oreos!

The first time we stayed the room was amazing but no bed for my youngest son so they brought a camp bed and charged us 1000 bart more. I think the booking.com website does not allow us to book a CHILD of 15 as a child and thats why our other son had dropped off the booking. ie. we booked for 3 adults only. We seemed unable to book a double and 2 singles at all. The room was large and beautifully decorated. The 2nd time we stayed we paid £176 - a lot of money on Thailand. and had a double room with 2 camp beds - not the FAMILY room we had booked at all. One camp bed was so close to our bed you couldn't get into the double bed and our bed was so close to the wall on the other side - so impossible to get into unless you can fly. We moved it but it then had to go up against the door as the room was so small. I complained and they moved us into 2 rooms. All good.

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room with Free Minibar

As another traveller mentioned, dust cleaning could be done more often. When we complained about, everything was brought in order the same half day.

The whole atmosphere is "romantic": Chinese classic enterieur, vibrant Chinatown life. Many excellent & cheap eateries around, banks across the street, a vast market leaving the hotel & turn right, cross the next street & find the entry to the market. Remember that within the market you should look for the entrance to the oldest Chinese Temple (1658) of Thailand, an quiet oasis within all the swirl of the market & all the noises. But there is no pushing inside this tight market between the houses. At the left side short before the exit to Chargen Krung antiques at the last two stalls at left. Be careful, there are lots of "antique" sabres which are made during the last 50 years perhaps. Nice rare minerals on offer (Lapislazuli, crystals, fossils, etc.). - The hotel staff - all are very nice & accept suggestions. - Breakfast is comparable to famous name hotels.

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room with Free Minibar

The place was beautiful, but I did expect a little more. The minibar was very paltry - I figured they did this due to claims of the minibar being free as part of the deal, but it was extremely bare. The restaurant stopped serving food very early and nobody informed us of this until it was too late, nor did they make a suggestion for elsewhere nearby when they told us this. They didn't inform us about the live jazz, nor any of the other amenities of the hotel, when we checked in. My booking apparently came with a free experience of either a foot massage or dim sum etc. and even though I didn't have time to take advantage of that, had I not read the fine print on the booking informing me of that, I'd have never known anyway since once again, nobody informed me of this. Finally, I was pre-charged for this twice instead of once, which meant I had paid double what I was meant to. It wasn't a pre-holding accident, it was literally just charged twice by accident. I understood it was clearly a mistake so was calm and easygoing about how I mentioned this to the staff, but I did mention this upon checking in and was assured they'd look into it. They did not. In the evening, around the time I would have been at dinner (so it was inconvenient timing as well), I received a phone call asking what time I'd be checking out the next day. Even when I said it would be earlier than the official checkout time, they asked me when exactly - it wasn't to offer me a taxi booking etc, but simply to ask when I'd be vacating it and they could get my key back. That's when I was irritated since I felt like they were trying to, or eager to, rush me out of there as soon as possible before the official check-out time, and this is also when I had to bring up the double charge again since nobody had gotten back to me about that.

The decor was gorgeous, very unique concept. And the live jazz on the terrace was fantastic.

• Special Offer - Suite with Free Minibar

It may have been the first hotel room I've ever stayed at that didn't offer a view of any kind.

Loved the ambiance and the aesthetic, it was a truly unique venue. I also appreciated the free amenities they offered like the show, high tea, and massage.

All great :-)

Attentive staff with a cool drink on arrival. Rooms are spacious and comfortable with good facilities including hair dryer and lovely toiletries. Happy hour at the bar is great and the cocktails are great. The hostess in the bar is excellent and a credit to the hotel.

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room with Free Minibar

No fitness center or swimming

You Have to go to Shanghai Mansion to see just how beautiful it is it’s a one-of-a-kind hotel. It makes you feel like you stepped into the 1930s very quaint difficult to explain just absolutely gorgeous and relaxing

• Special Offer - Suite with Free Minibar

The internet was a bit hit and miss

Location was fantastic. Huge room with a free mini bar. The bed was king size and very comfortable. The bath and shower were also huge.

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room with Free Minibar

Free mini bar used as incentive to book But had one can of beer and a tiny packet of crisps and two small bottles of water

Location ambience complimentary choice of dinner excursion or spa massage

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room with Free Minibar

Incredible attention to detail in every part of the decoration. The rooms are quite small but so nicely decorated. The hotel is situated in the center of Chinatown in walking distance of the metro.

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room with Free Minibar

No swimming pool obviously. My room was a bit run down and in need of a good do up.

The elegant chic vibe of 30's Chinese bordello. The great location with do many food options outside of the hotel ( if you can eat street food)

• Special Offer - Superior Double Room with free Airport Transfer

The room was a bit small, didnt have any windows and the lighting is poor but on the other hand we only slept there, so was no need for much more from the room, having no Windows made it quiet i guess so we didnt feel the need for them and the lighting was actually romantic. I would only add extra / stronder lighting at the sink and the closet

In Chinatown, great location to start our trip, and not in the middle of it so its not noisy. Clean, nice style, excellent staff, great spa! Very nice restaurant on the ground floor, good food, great coctails and nice Jazz music / band.

• Special Offer - Deluxe Double Room with Free Minibar

The most stunning and interesting place I have stayed. Felt like I was in Shanghai of the 1940s. Opulent rooms , great public spaces , great food and staff. I’ll be back

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room with Free Minibar

- Room with no windows. - Entrance door to the room very "weak" and complicated to close it. - Water pressure in shower was not good. - Room was close to lobby/elevator with a lot of sound ( hotel put music at 09 AM and you automatically have to wake up due to music). - Not close to public transport

- Chinese decoration was nice, and hotel was very close to chinatown. - The music bar at the entrance was really nice. - The check in process was very efficient. - The bed and the room decoration was also great

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room with Free Minibar

Noise, water pressure was in existent, no water boiler in the room just tea bags, taxis cannot stop in front of hotel, music in the corridors very early in morning.

Staff

• Special Offer - Superior Double Room with free Airport Transfer

The one thing I wasn't happy with was the comfort of the bed. I felt like I was sleeping on a plank! They wanted to move me but it was almost the same thing. I put extra blankets that sort of helped the situation. If you are looking for soft comfortable beds- this hotel isn't for you.

Right in the heart of China Town. Ten steps away from any Chinese canteen - so no need to eat in the hotel. There are plenty of food stalls and fresh food served outside. The hotel is a boutique hotel. Very picturesque- I liked taking pictures with the scenes behind me. The lounge is a beautiful space and comfy too. The staff are friendly and they will do their best to keep you happy. They had a nice bar outside where they played live music.

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room with Free Minibar

The room was tired and falling apart in some places and the bathroom wasnt clean. Definitely not worth the price tag and for first time visitors to thailand, the neighborhood was overwhelming and not easy to get around.

The breakfasts were great, and the staff were very friendly. Very close to hua lamphong station

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room with Free Minibar

The lighting for shaving could be better

The decor of each room is very playful and distinct, which makes for a fun and joyful stay. The complementary use of the items, such as beer, soda and cold water, in the refrigerator was a nice bonus.

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room with Free Minibar

I generally prefer the wash basin to be in the bathroom, not in the bedroom.

Great shower and wonderful coconut scented shower products. Comfortable bed. Room was nice and quiet. Loved the jazz in the evening.

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room with Free Minibar

Sewage smell in room, room 408, changed to 412, still get the smell. Parents at Room 409 was ok. I would suggest the odd no. Rooms.

Location and nice staff, nice deco, very kind to let us check in at 9AM

The duvet cover and towels could be refreshed, looked a bit worn. But it wouldn’t keep me from coming back.

The ambiance of the hotel was wonderful. It was in a great location to visit China Town. I enjoyed the atmosphere and food at breakfast. I would stay again and would recommend to others visiting Thailand. We enjoyed heading out to get food from street vendors and the 7-11 was nearby.

• Special Offer - Deluxe Double Room with Free Minibar

The location is a bit far removed from most of the main tourist attractions. While you can easily grab a tuk-tuk or cab, it's a bit of a trek to pick up a boat, train or MRT. But it definitely gives you a different perspective on Bangkok.

Breakfast was great, and the hotel itself is beautiful. The staff were friendly and super helpful as well. This was an awesome little piece of paradise in the middle of frantic Chinatown

• Special Offer - Deluxe Double Room with Free Minibar

Early in the morning the smell of food was just to much. It really makes me feel bad.

The room was fantastic. The breakfast was excellent, and dont forget to try the cocktails in the bar.

• Special Offer - Superior Double Room with free Airport Transfer

It's a bit difficult to understand where the entrance of the hotel is (it's on the left side of the restaurant) and the check-in process was a bit fastidious.

Amazing place situated in Chinatown. The atmosphere and decoration is really nice (classy 20th century Shanghai style). Staff is nice and willing to make you feel comfortable. The room was well decorated as well with all the necessary ammenities (silk robe, slippers...). The hotel is charming and soothing.

• Special Offer - Superior Double Room with free Airport Transfer

Traffic jam!!!!!! China town is too busy, and always busy. Taking a taxi to there or getting a taxi from there is really not handy. It will be much better when the subway station opens. The room does has no window that can open, and is not quite big. The room is still a little damp. I feel uncomfortable sleeping. They can’t supply one single power switch thing for traveller.

The whole place is very stylish, just as picture shown. Close to Chinatown and Grand Palace side of town if these are your main interests. I heard there will be a subway station soon (I don’t know how soon exactly).

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room with Free Minibar

Charming hotel in the middle of Chinatown. Great street food options just outside of the hotel. The ferry is also just a 5min walk away (great way to explore Bangkok) All in all an fun experience to see a different side of Bangkok.

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room with Free Minibar

The room we stayed in did not have a proper window.

The ground and second floor of this hotel are stunning. The bar is nice, the cocktails are delicious and the live music is entertaining.

• Special Offer - Deluxe Double Room with Free Minibar

Some of the amenities in the room like shampoo were already used by a previous guest The box of cotton buds was empty... this should be checked! Otherwise, a luxury hotel

Special atmosphere, style and decor Great location to visit Chinatown Nice bar Great cocktails Live music Very good breakfast

• Superior Double or Twin Room with Dinner or Spa Package & Hotel - Airport Transfer

Bed mattress was rock hard, light blackout and sound proofing were not good. I am a light sleeper and though I used earplugs, I did not sleep very well. It was not possible to open the bedroom windows, thus impossible to renew the air other than by turning the AC to the max.

Convenient location in Chinatown. We enjoyed thevery well done Chinatown Heritage style decoration, it was a practical hotel with a nice touch. All minibar was free and massage was included in rate (although only one massage per room booked even if we are more than one in the room!).

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room with Free Minibar

Unfortunately, they can't do anything about the location - China Town is abuzz with people, especially in the evenings, there is street food everywhere if that's your thing, but it is not somewhere to go if you're after a little romance or pizzazz, as it's dirty, smelly and noisy! That said, the hotel is like a little oasis of calm in a sea of madness so if you want to stay in China Town, it's a good hotel to stay in.

Clean room, friendly staff and a decent breakfast for a reasonable price. Walking distance to the Golden Buddha Temple

• Special Offer - Superior Double Room with free Airport Transfer

Our room was very dark and we were told their were no rooms where you could open the windows. It would have been nice to at least have good reading lamps.

Great style and atmosphere!

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room with Free Minibar

This property has an amazing experience. It's the best in Chinatown, it has a nice lounge where you can listen to jazz and eat good food, inside it's amazing, it has a large indoor "puddle" with fish, make sure you check it. The breakfast was amazing, the room has a very large bed and free minibar.

• Special Offer - Deluxe Double Room with Free Minibar

Woken up by loud Thai/Chinese wedding party starting at 7am. Kept awake until 2am by loud Thai guests, screaming in the corridors. No soundproofing and open design allows sound to travel. TV didn’t work in room so had nothing to try to drown out the sound of the loudspeakers and shrill wedding MC. Room was dusty, with cobwebs covering the light fittings, towels were threadbare. This hotel has lost its lustre and is poorly managed - when I made a complaint about the noise I was told I had received a ‘notice’ warning me about the wedding. (I got the notice in my room the night before - no time to book a new hotel or even move rooms! Plus the ‘notice’ said the party would start at 8am, not 7). Not suitable for business travellers or anyone who needs to rest.

Room was spacious and the bath was nice.

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room with Free Minibar

Bed was rock solid, they wouldn’t let us check in early as they were “cleaning” the room but when we go in there was chewing gum on the bed frame!! Bar was super expensive too! When we came to leave the lady on the front desk told the Tuk Tuk driver the wrong bus station so we had a mad rush to get our bus! Really disappointed considering the price and the name “mansions”!!

Nice decor but very much style over substance!!

• Special Offer - Deluxe Double Room with Free Airport Transfer

I liked everything about the hotel: an oasis of cleanliness and peace in the middle of chinatown, with its own massage spa, restaurant and bar. I liked the end of the century atmosphere, the daily live music, the staff, breakfast, dinner, drinks, massage.

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room with Free Minibar

Location and interior are really great! This is trully magic place. Very good spa ;) Rooms without real windows is a bit akward. It’s ok if you just spend there 1-2 nights. We were three nights and felt strange.

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room with Free Minibar

I missed the jazz band . Maybe they play early these days. The musicians playing last night were OK but not jazz .

The total experience is great. This is the sixth time that I have stayed. I would not stay anywhere else in Bangkok .

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room with Free Minibar

The contact point for electric on dificult locations to use for charge battery phone. Or use the hairdryer not close by mirror and no food/snacks or breakfast avaible

The furniture and collors from the room and the decoration made me feel being in home from friend not a hotel

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room with Free Minibar

There is no real window in the room. For us it wasn't a problem but you should keep it in mind if opening windows is important for you.

The hotel looks very nice. The atmosphere is great and the decorations, furniture and basically everything is up to the standard. We loved the birdcage with a paper bird in the shower. The location is great, right in the heart of Chinatown and not that far away from Hua Lampong train station. The staff is super nice and very helpful. We asked for something and they found out the answer for us.

• Special Offer - Suite with Free Minibar

Nothing in particular, maybe those windows, but it wasn't annoying at all

Everything was perfect. Staff is huge adventage of this place - very kind and helpfull, we didn't have a window in our room, but good lightening make mysterious atmosphere you can imagine in such place in the middle of Chinatown

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room with Free Minibar

It certainly was a boutique hotel. Gorgeous decor, lovely staff. Good wifi. Beds comfortable, although hard to climb into. Good breakfast, reasonable choice.

This isn't really against the hotel, because it was great, but the location (in Chinatown) doesn't have much of a nightlife or neighborhood bars to just hang out in. So keep that in mind if you like to stay out late!

This hotel was great! The staff was friendly. The room was beautiful. The Minibar was included in the cost of the room. Despite being in the heart of Chinatown on a busy street the room was quiet. We booked the package that included dinner or a spa treatment, and were pleasantly surprised that it was dinner or a spa treatment per day! Also, the complimentary breakfast was really good. Definitely worth it!

• Special Offer - Family Suite with Free Airport Transfer

NA

The overall ambience of the room and surrounding of the room is very good. Not to mention, the hotel staffs are very polite. Give a thumbs up for the stay and friendly staffs.

• Special Offer - Deluxe Double Room with Free Minibar

All the floors, bar and restaurant are connected through an open atrium which is beautiful but can also be noisy. You can hear the bar and restaurant but not later then 23.30h and a lot of people stay for a couple of nights either entering Thailand or leaving so we woke up a couple of times at weird hours by other guests leaving.

Great location in the midst of the hustle and bustle of Chinatown. Decor of the room is nice but it’s the layout that makes it such a great room. Big walk in rain shower, really comfortable open plan bath and enough room to be able to hang out in the room comfortably. Breakfast was also a winner with good buffet options Asian and Western and à la carte items.

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room with Free Minibar

Nothing to criticise really. I guess it is a little Spartan in feel but I was comfortable with that as I was out most of the time. Also for the price you don't get a lot really, other hotels I have stayed at in Bangkok, in that price range, have had swimming pools etc. Depends what you're looking for really.

This is a very smart hotel, apparently in a 1930s Shanghai style. It was a new experience for me, can't comment on the authenticity but it looked very nice, the photos here give a good impression of what I saw. They have obviously put a lot of effort in and it has worked - I found this to be a comfortable place to stay and I enjoyed my two nights here. The location was very good for me as it was only five minutes from Hua Lamphong railway station and I had to catch an early train the morning of my departure.

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room with Free Minibar

We had no handwash for two days in a row. We even left it open so that they would take notice, but the cleaner just ignored it! At the end, we had to ask for it. There was no shower gel on two occasions and again we had to ask reception to provide us with one as the cleaner on the floor simply replied 'no' to our request. The bathroom was okay but every time we would have a shower, the floor would turn into a huge paddle. The sink is located outside the bathroom and let me tell you that it's not comfortable at all. The free minibar is a joke, there's virtually nothing to consume in there.

We loved the atmosphere, the interiors and the location.

too noisy as i stayed in room 501

must have 2nd layer window or door glass to be sealed off to lower street traffic noise. Also yo have new towels as old ones all torn

• Special Offer - Deluxe Double Room with Free Minibar

The lighting in the room was a little dim and the breakfast selection was small compared to our other hotels

The bed was very comfy and the room felt luxurious.

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room with Free Minibar

Our room was at the back of the hotel with coloured windows that didn't really look outside, so we had very little natural light in the room. There wasn't tea/coffee, only 2 bags of Chinese tea available, and no bath. I think for what you get at the hotel, it's a little overpriced.

Beautifully designed hotel in a perfect location, right in the action in the middle of Chinatown. The room was very boudoir-esque with stunning decor. The staff were very friendly and the breakfast was delicious.

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room with Free Minibar

A charming hotel, beautiful and charateristic. All the service are really good, all the staff very nice. The position in the city are very good, easy to reach and easy to go in everywhere. Very good choise.

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room with Free Minibar

Little light in the room, slow service at breakfast. Although they open at 6:30 am nothing was ready at that time which shouldn‘t be the case when you are in a hurry.

The Hotel is located in China town so that you can stroll around for the authentic thai kitchen easily. So if you like to explore the city, this is a great starting point. We only had breakfast once and unfortunately they told us after half an hour when we nearly finished that we may choose from the menu of a variety of eggs etc. The rooms are clean and comfortable besides the little light. So even when you turn on those it‘s kind of dark in the room. Er haven‘t tried it but the spa looked awesome and price was ok as well. Getting to the airport is also easy, just take the Sky Train, metro and taxi/ tuktuk.

The hotel's tourist information will approach you and persistently try to sell their services. By all means - withstand their pressure! It is swindle and fraud. They ruined our day. Rather make your tour bookings online based on reviews.

Neatly decorated, clean hotel in lively Chinatown. Comfortable rooms, acceptable breakfast (avoid the super dry dim sums) and excellent massage/spa.

• Special Offer - Superior Double Room with free Airport Transfer

Not really the hotel's fault - be aware that the room option including airport transfer offered by booking.com is quite a rip-off - it only includes a one way trip (which, in itself, does not make much sense to me) and you are actually way better off booking the cheaper room option and just taking a metered cab, which will be WAY cheaper in sum. I raised this at the hotel and they offered me complimentary breakfast as a trade off, however I would have still liked to have saved the extra money.

I loved the interior and design of the rooms. It's just beautiful and super well maintained in every detail. You cannot tell that much from the street but once you're inside it's a real gem and sure stands out from any other city hotel I have ever stayed. Breakfast was also very good, good choices and service. They offer a tuk tuk shuttle to the main attractions but you can also dive into Chinatown by wandering around in the streets nearby. Would definitely recommend this place to everyone going to Bangkok.

Browse Shanghai Mansion Bangkok traveller photo gallery