Reviews of The Imperial Mae Ping Hotel 4 stars

153 Sridonchai Rd, Chang Klan, Amphoe Muang, Chang Khlan, 50100 Chiang Mai, Thailand

#349 of 653 hotels in Chiang Mai

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Room was small and the bathroom even more so

An old hotel in beautiful and extensive grounds very close to both the nightlife and old city centre 2 good swimming pools Excellent breakfast with a large range of foods, spacious room and very tasty meals Despite a small error on my booking the staff quickly and efficiently made it right Staff are friendly and helpful

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The one thing that upset me was the bathroom ! The bath and the wall surrounding it were almost mouldy and looked like they needed a really good scrub ! Wasn’t so nice showering in such a bathroom and to get 5 stars they need to clean them better

The staff were just so genuine and happy !! It was almost as if they remembered who we were each time we went in and out. The pool is just what you needed and the location was really amazing

• Superior Double or Twin Room

They don't provide toothbrushes or shavers. No handheld shower in our room

The hotel is centrally located within short walking distance to the night market, eateries and others. Breakfast is quite good with reasonable choices. Hotel staffs were friendly and very helpful.

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room

I forgot some things in the room, I just remembered after the check in and I was already in another city. even so I returned to fetch, unfortunately did not find .... just disappeared ... were a lot of souvenirs.

• Family Room

Bathroom were awful, I understand that is an old hotel but no excuse for dirty. Room was clean, Lobby and pool also clean, but hallway and bathrooms really need cleaning.

Location, close to the airport and Night Bazaar, breakfast selection was also good.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

※ the elevators are a bit small ※ there are few cracks on the toilet seat. Sometime, if i moved, the crack pinched my thigh. Lol.

※ the hotel is well-known around the area. It is easy for us to tell the drivers where to drive us off and pick us up. ※ it is around the night market.We can go shopping. ※ there is a taxi service at the lobby. I can arranged a ride to airport at 3am easily. ※ the quality of breakfast is excellent. There are various foods for us to choose! and they are delicious. ※ the housekeeping serivce is good. Esp the housekeeper always helps us to put the flipper at the entrance. Lol. ※ staff is helpful! ※ the room is spacious and facilities are nice.

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room

The shower was HORRENDOUS. It was really dirty and moldy. I was afraid to put the soap in the soap holder. Bathrooms need immediate reno, then the tile and carpets. There wasn’t much interaction with the staff (but we felt very safe with the doorman and guards so that was positive)

Great location to the night market. We took an all day tour so we were not in the hotel much. The room was better than we thought it was going to be. Yes it could use some renovation but not enough in the bedroom to lose its Thailand charm. I liked the old wood and lights. Didn’t eat there either so can’t review that.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The kettle and hairdryer and fridge were rather dated.

Amazing old fashioned style, comfort and service. Very good breakfast, lovely poolside area. Itcwas my partners birthday and we came back after much to find a hand finished patisserie standard cake that was delicious!

• Superior Double or Twin Room

There is nothing i didn't like

I love this hotel, its my second time here its in a good location. The staff are very friendly and helpful and the breakfast has a huge variety from continental american and Asian foods.. The beds were comfy and the rooms very clean. I have no complaints about this hotel.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

I have read many comments about this hotel before our trip and I was expecting at an old building that looks better outside than inside but..... I didn`t expect to found food and leftovers in the armchair, this really is unacceptable, we had the room 729 between 13-16 april 2018. We didn`t liked anything at the breakfast, the smell in the morning of curry and many many other ingredients was disgusting. It is true that they serve a lot of food in the morning, but nothing like yogurt, cheese or something light, more european. I`m not crazy I now that we are in Thailand and I have to try traditional food but I was expecting at various fruits, they had only 2 or maximum 3 types, the same every morning. Don`t understand me wrong, the hotel is ok, in spite the fact that needs improvement in the bathrooms, but the breakfast, the cleanliness.......and the stuff that doesn`t understand an word in english! this is the cherry on the cake !

The pool was nice and relaxing!

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Nothing much really. I did not expect great things (especially at the rate we had) but the hotel was really very good all round. The food was much better than the overpriced tourist restaurants otside

The room (deLux) was very clean and comfortable but a little bit small. generally speaking though - very nice Breakfast was very good with a large western and oriental selection Lunch by the poolside was also good as was dinner for two in the beer garden

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room

The perfect hotel to stay in Chiang Mai. The staff is very nice, the hotel is beautiful and has the perfect location, close to all the night markets and to the old city.

• Royal Suite

This is the busiest part of town, especially at Thai New Year. Don't expect a rural idyll.

This was our third stay at Imperial Mae Ping and the hotel has got even better. The staff are courteous, helpful and cheerful. The room was impeccable and comfortable and we enjoyed the variety of the breakfast buffet each morning. My kids love the pool and we trust this hotel for smooth service and reliability.

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room

1.Bathroom and room (716) smelled stale of water damage, not easy to sleep 2. Expensive, I paid $110 per night reserving by bookings.com....my friend paid $45 per night reserving by Agoda...same quality of room, 7th floor and 6th floor

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Overlooking the gecko in my room (at least it kept the mosquitos at bay), as some have said, the bathrooms and hallway carpets are due a refurb, but that’s apparently due soon. Other than that, no problems at all and i’d Happily stay here again.

Location is excellent, the grounds pleasant. Okay, so it’s a little dated in parts, but that’s being taken care of. Food in the bar in the evening was excellent value and there’s a great choice at breakfast. For the price and convenience, it’s brilliant.

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room

The reception service was not that good and they did not follow up my concerns.

I booked the hotel via booking.com. The booking included breakfast and when I checked in it was not available. I queried this with reception staff and showed them the web site. They were going to check with hotel manager. They never did. Very disappointing I have stayed at this hotel before and the atmosphere was a lot friendlier before.

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room

The property looks fine at the outside and at the reception though, the room looks quite old as well as its atmosphere. Moreover, there was only one socket to use in our room and it was broken. So, we had to take the TV's plug off to use that socket for charging phone.

The staffs were so friendly and attentive. The beds and pillows was very comfy. Our room and bathroom was really clean. The wifi was good.

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room

The rooms are old and in need of renovation. Lobby looks just fine. The problem we had is with booking.com. The rate I booked and paid showed breakfast included. When I got the email confirmation, it showed breakfast as 400 THB per person per day. That wasn’t fair and I felt cheated, especially since hotels.com was offering the same price that I paid with breakfast, so, I ended up paying for breakfast and we had to buy breakfast for ourselves.

Great location and quiet property in the heart of town

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room

Toilet flushing was a bit long and water splashed onto the floor.

The rooms for very spacious and the bed was super comfortable. The location of the hotel is perfect as it is just a block off from the Night Market which is filled with great shopping, restaurants, and bars! Fun for the entire family or when you are a solo traveler!

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The hotel had charged my bank account before I arrived. my intention was to pay cash at arrival, as I live in Thailand.

a good breakfast. The staff on the lifts were excellent at the busy times.

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room

You cant find slippers or toothbrush in the hotel. You must prepare them yourself.

Breakfast is very bad and not change by day. You cant taste any Thai food in breakfast. Fruit is sometimes not fresh such as grape, ...Not clean. It seems they use the towels for thousand years. The staff is not friendly but the security.

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room

The mattress was a bit on the hard side but in my experience every mattress in every hotel in Thailand was the same.

Great hotel a little bit outside the old city but still central and walking distance to many restaurants, bars and temples. Also close to Night Bazaar shopping center. Staff was great, rooms were clean and comfy. They also have restaurant and buffet which was delicious. Great vegetarian options.

• Family Room

Hotel probably used to be a 4-star hotel but I assume the was in the 80-ties. Since then the hotel has not been updated and that shows. We complaint about the room and treatened to leave if we didn't get an upgrate to a acceptable room. Finally we got the upgrate. The room was a lot bigger but still very outdated. Not impressed!

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room

Nothing, good value for money

The building look good and maintained, the room was big and no sign of worn, look maintained, good shower and toilet room. They even have washing machine people can use.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Massage parlours nearby - on the road out of hotel to town with women asking you for a massage all the time. Pretty seedy!

Great location and decent quality hotel

• Superior Double or Twin Room

rooms a little dated, but not enough to spoil comfort of room.

all aspects were very good arranging transport, location, helpful staff and good breakfasts.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

bread quality poor. not much options for vegetarians. complementary water bottle kept in bath rooms so you are not sure whether to use and safe to drink. If if we use the one kept in the room, they charge 100 bath. very confusing.

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room

People smoking in the other room even it says that it is forbidden then the cigarette smoke was coming to my room. I've complained about it to the reception but they didn't do anything.

Bed

It was all good

Great location. Friendly staff. Nice pool. Great wifi. Good pool. Overall pleasant experience for a good price. Beautiful lobby area, and welcoming drink as well. The hotel is a bit dated, but is clean and comfortable.

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room

impersonal and owned by a large company with many other hotels. Its large (lots of floors, you have to wait for a long time for a lift and if its full, then wait longer.

Excellent breakfast but this is a large hotel without any personal touches. You could be anywhere in the world. Its not a fun place. No connection to other guest's.

• Royal Suite

No complaints. Hotel could do with some updating to the rooms.

Older hotel, but was probably the best in the city 20 years ago. Staff was nice. Dinner was nice outside in a garden setting with live music. Very popular Asian singer, Teresa Teng loved this hotel and stayed there where she collapsed and died on the way to the hospital in 1995. If you stay here, then you must visit her room and please visit with Billy at the service desk on the 15 th floor.

• Family Room

Beds were a little too firm and rooms could use a make over.

The Manager was very attentive, and the location is excellent for touring the temples and surrounding area.

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room

The hotel is pretty dated and could use a serious remodel but for the location and price, I can overlook it.

Location is unbeatable. Close to everything and all the night markets. Staff is very, very nice and the breakfast buffet is pretty good. Pool and the gardens add a very nice touch. Bed was pretty comfortable as well.

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room

The place really need a refurbishment. The hotel is old fashioned, smells and everything is worn.

Nice staff. Excelent western breakfast egg fried/boiled/omelette w/bacon, potatoes , tomato beans and real bread!! Good beds. Perfect location.

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room

the rooms need maintenance; the high door step between the bathroom and the room, which is dangerous during night.

It's not far from the Maya shopping center; the price is reasonable

The day I got out!!

The bathroom was old and dirty the plumbing was a disaster complained they gave us a different room plumbing still leaking I will never stay there ever again I moved to the holiday inn it is very good the photos on booking .com are not even close to how bad it really is it is a dump as far as I am concerned

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Room all over carpets give no clean feeling, bit smelly, slow elevators, feels like Chinese/Indian hotel (busy and noisy)

Location near night bazar and restaurants, nice swimming pool and beer garden

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room

The facility was older and it showed in the rooms.

It was really centrally located to the night markets and restaurants. I liked the nightly live entertainment and the garden restaurant.

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room

Very big hotel, a lot of guests. We prefer a bit smaller normally but stayed here because the location was good.

Breakfast was very good, great selection. Room cleaning was a bit hit and miss, had to call down for more toilet paper. Pools nice.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

the 3. elevator was the whole time out of order. So often we had to wait more then 10 minutes for the elevator in the 13. floor. Very noisy from outside until 3 am.

The quality of the room and the breakfast.

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room

Nice hotel but due for renovation. Suggest that during the renovation the bath is changed to a shower which are much more convenient to my opinion. Towels need replaced straight away. During my stay the hotel looked like a small Chinatown!!

Friendly and helpful staff.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Lifts very slow at peak times and no indication on floors of their arrival. Used stairs to descend 9 floors- quicker than going in lift.

Great location close to Night Bazaar. Beautiful grounds to relax in. Lovely staff.

• Family Room

nothing to complain about.

Friendly, helpful staff. Good room with view, good selection of TV channels. Excellent buffet breakfast. Two swimming pools with bar and food service.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Over crowding and waiting for elevator. However I know next time there will be an extra elevator to rectify this unconvieniance.

Great selection of food along with great friendly service.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The rooms are ageing and are in need of refurbishment - bathrooms are too small, showers are old and the room basically gloomy. The furniture is aged and needs replacing. Only 2 working elevators for 15 floors led to often long waits especially at breakfast time. Those who smoke have to stand in the car parks which I found quite objectionable. Breakfast was ok but could be much better - it suited the many Chinese guests well but not so good for westerners. As an example the "egg station" did not produce fried scrambled or omelettes to order - they were cooked en masses and kept in a hot plate. I can think of little worse. Also there was no service at breakfast and guests helped themselves to coffee tea etc

The hotel is old and therefore predates Chiang Mai's expansion. The result is beautiful gardens and outside food and music area, 2 pools (both of which are sunlit almost all day) and a good feeling of space. Staff are numerous and helpful. The location was excellent just a 10 minute walk from the city walls or the daily night market

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room

Water does not flow away in the rooms. Service is also poor; their reception was not friendly when checking in, and I also have not received any response to my inquiries through email.

The garden bar is quite nice.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The rooms are showing their age. They smell a bit stale, but worse the bathroom towels are all stringy and worn. It seems like a small investment to upgrade the quality and comfort of the rooms to buy new towels.

You can’t beat the location, security and and staff. This was my second visit and I made it specifically for the location.

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room

Over crowding and waiting for elevator. New elevator in process to be available in the next week or so to elevate inconvieniance though.

Big and comfortable bed , great food selection

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Unprofessional staff. Dirty old bathrooms and towels. Food catered only for Chinese tour groups.No Thai food....same breakfast every day in my 7 day stay. Only 2 lifts in Hotel working and they are both too small.I was disconnected from internet with no explanation. Refused entry to dining room for lunch because of visiting Chinese tour group.Staff did not check my booking details thoroughly and challenged my friends admittance to dining room for breakfast.Totally unprofessional and some staff just plain rude.I stayed here in 2010 and it was good then.....now catering for Chinese and not interested in Thai people or westerners. I will never stay here again and advise all family and friends to boycott this place. Chiang Mai is no longer a holiday hot spot....I could not wait to get out of there.

Location only

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Very convenient location and great facilities. Amazing buffet breakfast and the day spa is also great and so convenient being on site. Staff very accomodating and lovely.

• Family Room

The rooms/bathroom need a lot of updating and felt very dated. Room and bathroom were extremely dark, even with lights turned on. The pillows were hard and uncomfortable.

Common facilities were nice, property is large and well run, breakfast buffet was great with a ton of options.

• Royal Suite

A few facilities, ie pool furniture, general decor is a bit dated and could use upgrading.

Comfortable room--(we had a suite), very helpful staff, excellent breakfast, great location. A perfect place to "escape" the hectic pace of the markets, etc. Nice peaceful environment, lovely grounds.

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room

The lighting in the room was useless to read. I couldn't read at all. I had a lot of reading to do. I asked on day one for a lamp or brighter bulb - never got it. The pillows were heavy and hard. I asked for a softer one, they brought an additional one identical to the others. I put a 'do not disturb' sign on the door after a late night out and they PHONED to see when I wanted the room cleaned! The net curtains need washing and the corners need cobwebs removed. I like an evening swim but the pool was closed at 7pm.

Location is great - near night market and old town. Room was large and had both bath and shower.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The cleanliness of the bathrooms, I wore thongs in the bath because of the mould and poor condition of the bath

I found that the bathrooms were not very clean there was at least an cm of mould on shower curtain not very nice at all.... would not stay there again no trouble with thee staff I just fell that the problems we had with the bathroom is down to the management. The shower curtain and bathrooms were mouldy and bath also had mould around it

• Royal Suite

On the 15th floor there was a special Chinese display which large Chinese tour groups (sometimes 100s of them)who are not staying at the hotel come and see. The lifts in the building are too small to handle the numbers with the bonus the Chinese are rude and loud which does not add to the atmosphere of the hotel

We stayed in a suite for 15 days. The suite was large and good views. The furniture was very old and most of it was damaged or marked. It needed updating. The staff are what makes the place

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room

Everyone was very friendly and helpful always. They couldn't do enough for me.

If you don't want to go out of the hotel to eat there are several different types of restaurants inside plus a coffee shop that offers cake and coffee and tea, plus a bar that offers any type of drink plus plates of food.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Noisy neighbours having loud conversations in the hallway at 6am (tour groups). If you came down to breakfast after 9am is was running low on a lot of things. The property good do with being refurbished as well, feels a little dated

The staff were lovely and friendly, good location to the tourist markets a slight walk to all the others

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Could do with a refurbishment - many of the carpets are very dirty. Only 2 elevators operational - a hotel this size should have six at least. Waiting for prolonged periods for the elevator is very frustrating. Breakfast was poor and very little left after 8.30am Better options available in Chiang Mai

Location is excellent for all the touristy activity.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

We tried, but could't think of one thing that we didn't like.

We really liked everything. This was a very nice hotel. 1,700Baht a night. The restaurants were exceptional. beautiful pool.

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room

The bathroom in our guest room was tired and the tile in the shower was mildewy.

The lobby staff were excellent and the pool was a beautiful oasis in the middle of the city. Big bonus was the short walk to the night market. The view of the mountains from our room was spectacular.

• Royal Suite

Elevators are annoying and slow.

Nice hotel. Good value for money. Royal suitenis not what I'd call a royal suite. However the rate was excellent value for money.

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room

I really can't find one thing l didnt like l travelled alone and was well catered for. cheers will return when back in Thialand.

The staff very helpful ,friendly easy to please. Food great and fascilities on property great didnt really need to leave property, but i did. Room very clean , room service at its best fast and hot food on delivery.

• Family Room

A bit of missing information at the front counter. First at check in, I was informed that my room wasn't ready, which is not acceptable as when I was there, it's already 3 pm. At the check out time, the front desk staff forgot to give me the invoice (as I requested since check-in) and myself alsao forgot. Now, I have to call the hotel to get the invoice document, which I am not sure whether I will get it or not.

The staff at the elevator was very helpful and friendly. He remembers our family and helped us find each other when we missed out each other. Forgot to ask his name. He stationed at the front of the main elevator.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The foot pats are sometimes a bid crabby and you have to watch where you walk special at night. Other than that we loved the place, It is good holiday destination with lots to do for young and old with plenty of tours on offer at a reaseble price.

we had a penthouse suit with all the trimmings including a butler we have been very much spoiled the staff is very nice almost embarishing .We just loved the place also so central and in eazy reach of the markets. also a free shuttle bus is provided if you would like to visit the bigger shopping centres.

• Royal Suite

The hotel isn't very new but all wood and classic furniture gives it a vintage look. Thats the only disadvantage I can think of.

The staff was agreeable and the breakfast was delightful. Booked the suite and it was enormous, located on the highest floor and has its own reception desk! It was a real treat!

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room

The bathroom tiles had mould which is really unacceptable as it is so easy to solve

The location was very good. The food at the Coffee Bar was excellent.

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room

I didn’t like the shower. It was too short and fixed to the wall. Bad for tall people. The gym was pretty small with old exercise machines.

Clean room, Nice staff, comfortable bed

• Special Offer - Superior Double or Twin Room

Just small things like the things that were worn out but the place was very clean.

Comfortable accomodation but a little worn in places like carpeting by elevators was thread bare, some wooden furniture like arms on stuff chairs needed a bit of repair from scratches and wear, but the linens were very comfortable and bed and pillows were great! Staff were wonderful for what ever you needed. The manager told me they are in for a major renovation and that is very good to hear because this place is a gem, close to everything within walking distance easily to the night market, shopping restaurants, you name it with public transportation waiting for you right outside the door. The gardens are huge and well manicured with fountains the the pool just as beautiful.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

Parts of hotel need refurbishing. Especially dining room carpet. Was not at all up to standard and appeared very old and filthy. Bathroom fittings not adequate and need replacing. Average

Staff were excellent.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

The staff especially the receptionist. The aircon wasn't cold. The staffs are unapproachable. They didn't provided me with toiletries which is supposedly included. They even let me pay for a toothbrush.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

My bathroom wasn't vented vented, so I had mold and mildew on my shower walls and ceiling in the bathroom. Gym wasn't much of a gym. A dank closet with moldy floors

Beautiful lobby, great location, awesome brunch

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The 'Deluxe' Rooms on the 11th to 13th floors are exactly the same size and style as the 'superior rooms' below. Indeed over the years they seem to have more use, are in more desperate state of repair, with mould in the shower, and things generally looking run down and shabby. At the end of the day, I think the superior rooms are better than their deluxe, which is ironic. This was probably a 4 star hotel 30 years ago when built, and now because of condition, i'd say 3 stars is generous. But then for the low price, can't complain too much. Breakfast was a Chinese affair, and continental & English breakfast options were sort of there (placed out of the way outside by the pool) and not anywhere in the main buffet. If you were not looking really hard it would be easy to miss the bizarre location of the bacon and eggs. Although staff were professional and nice, their English left much to be desired... it was hard to impossible to get ideas across. They had barely serviceable 'functional English' and nobody would even pass a B1 exam.

Cheap Location was great near the Night Markets.

Everything was okay

This hotel is value for money. Great breakfast nice and polite staff . Close to night life markets. Room was great large and comfortable.

• Superior Double or Twin Room

the bathroom was a little small but useable, and when I stayed there it was full of noisy arrogant INDIAN PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!

the rooms were clean and bright, the breakfast was very good, and the staff were very friendly, great value for money.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Old hotel. Needs updating. Breakfast just ok.

Convenient to go to the night market. Great massage places nearby. Excellent wifi. Friendly staff. They do greet you with a smile.

Browse The Imperial Mae Ping Hotel traveller photo gallery