Reviews of Modern Sultan Hotel

Alemdar Cad. Zeynep Sultan Camii Sk.No:13 Sultanahmet, Fatih, 34110 Istanbul, Turkey

#165 of 1,304 hotels in Istanbul

9.7

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

Very hospitable people it didn't feel like a hotel buy rather a home!

I liked everything!

More of a home than a hotel! Aziz aabeh and Cabir aabeh were extremely helpful and constantly assisted us. Tea/coffee and drinks were in abundance. Liverpool fan (can't remember his name) was kind and kept our luggage after we checked out and went for an excursion. Abla was always attentive during breakfast.

• Reviewed: 5 September 2018

1. Clean and rather quite room with A/C, fresh breakfast.

1. No tea/coffee making facilities in the room. 2. I booked 3 nights and got 1 soap (that was ok) and only a shampoo (as for me, not of the best quality) without a bath gel and a conditioner. Other toiletries were also in shortage or absent at all. 3. Nescafe coffee for breakfast. Turkish coffee upon request only and sometimes they do not have it.

1. Clean and rather quite room with A/C, fresh breakfast. 2. Very central location: just in the city center: 5 min to Agia Sophia (go there at 9AM to avoid lines), main shopping streets (if you want to do shopping it is worth visiting shopping centers since in the city center all is much more expensive). 3. Some of the staff were very hospitable, smiling, attentive and helpful: a) I booked an airport transfer via the Hotel - many thanks to the hotel manager who helped me to do that in the last minute since Uber appeared to be very expensive; b) my special thanks go to the hotel manager - a very sunny person (unfortunately, I do not know his name) - who helped me to look for dried dates upon my arrival in the late evening, was ready to help with all the questions and trip-related issues. 4. Very good wi-fi, taxi is very expensive in Istanbul and if you cannot reach a place you need by public transport, use Uber (which is still expensive but less than taxi). 5. I recommend to book an Airport transfer via Hotel to reach Ataturk Airport or the Metro. Uber in this case may not be reasonable. If your flight is to/from Sabiha Gokcen International Airport, it is worth taking HAVAbus which departs/arrives from/to Taksim bus station.

Great Small Hotel with a Great Location and Staff ...

Lovely small Hotel, nice location, and the staff are really nice, Aziz is very good, Sabri is very friendly, and Maria does a very good job to make every guest Happy.

Home away from home
    • Family Room (5 guests)

the staff was very helpful. They treated us like family and we felt at home. Its not all about money. They cared more about the service and what we needed and wanted.

• Reviewed: 11 August 2018

Great location and good value for money

There's no lift in the hotel and climbing 3 floors is not easy for everyone.

The location is great. All major tourist attractions are within walking distance. The staff was very helpful.

Modern Sultan
    • Double Room with View

The bed sheet/blanket smelled very musty and there was no fitted sheet on the bed--only one flat sheet draped across the mattress and a thin blanket on top--so by the morning, the sheet has inevitably shifted to expose the mattress. The shower was also a bit moldy.

As everyone else notes, the staff is very warm and friendly at the Modern Sultan. The location is terrific and the room had a nice view of the Hagia Sophia. The breakfast is good as well, although, with only 4 or so tables and a start time of 08:30, it gets crowded quickly.

Staff was good breakfast was nice location was very good
    • Family Room with View (4 Adults)

Lighting was very poor and i got 4th floor room with no lift so very difficult to go and come back

Staff was good breakfast was nice location was very good

Exceptional service
    • Family Room with View (4 Adults)

It is a wonderful place to spend a vacation in Istanbul. Being in the heart of the city, made our visits to touristic sites very easy. Mr. Aziz, you are a special and wonderful guy. Big thanks to you and the hotel's staff for the exceptional service.

Would never stay anywhere else in Istanbul! Boutique hotel is exquisite jewel - home away from home!

There was not a single thing that I did not like -- and the view, both night and day from my room of the Haghia Sofia was breathtaking, just spectacular.

Breakfast lady was so accommodating and bright/cheerful and such kind service. The proprietor, Salih, and his assistant, Atakand, were more than kind, and hospitable, ... had great conversations & +++ knowledgeable re Istanbul history & vicinity. So kind when I came home too late ... they fed me! Friends forever!

Great place to stay
    • Double Room with View

What a fantastic place to stay! The location was just perfect- so close to everything you want to see in the area but tucked away down a little street so it is quiet as well. I had an incredible view of Hagia Sophia from my room. The staff were so lovely and friendly and went the extra mile to help. The bed was comfy and everything was nice and clean.

Very good place
    • Family Room with View (4 Adults)

Breakfast: First day was very good, the last 5 days was almost the same. I would recomend to add varieties to the breakfast

Grate place, very good location,very friendly staff always helped in a different issues, very good owner. Thank you guys.

Fab hotel
    • Family Room (5 guests)

The hotel was fabulous. It was close to all the attractions in the old part of the city such as blue mosque, Hagia Sophia and Topkapı palace amongst others. All attractions within walking distance and 2 tram stations nearby. Lovely clean hotel and well looked after by Sally.

1. Staff.

1. Staff. Staff of the hotel was just awesome. Sali, Atakan, Aziz, all the guys were very friendly & flexible with (all) guests. I truly felt myself as at home. Also it was a pleasure to enjoy the gatherings on the terrace outside, will miss that. 2. Food. Breakfast was very tasty & variety of food was surprised me. Also you can always enjoy traditional Turkish tea & coffee. 3. Location. 10 out of 10. Close to all "must visit" sights.

Like this hotel

Great location, very close to aya Sophia and the blue mosque, friendly staff, very helpful, buffet breakfast, clean room, great value, highly recommend.

Fantastic place with superior service and great location!
    • Double Room with View

Breakfasts were kind of meh: typical eggs-sausage-veggies kind of stuff. Turkish delights were rather rare and disappeared quickly. But hotel food would be the last thing I'd consider in Istanbul - 'cause there are SO MANY awesome food courts around (leave aside chestnuts and grilled corn). Why would you want to eat in hotel? Besides, they serve good turkish tea for breakfast, if you wish. So not really a complaint. just a warning. Another thing is sometimes smell from the kitchen can get to your room at the morning. So if you don't like french fries - beware. One more note, the hotel offers rather cheap transfer to airport, but only at specific time slots. So if you need to leave really early (like 4am) - they can call for personal transfer, which would be much more expensive. But again, it's not a complaint, but rather a warning.

This place offers brilliant service for its price. Just understand, that small hotels like that can't provide you giant rooms and luxury bath-tube. The room is small, it's not new - BUT everything is very clean (they were doing housekeeping and changed towels every day, when we were leaving to explore the city), there is large enough bad for two, nice view to Hagia Sophia (if you're lucky) and unbelievable sea gulls songs in the morning (and at night - so prepare yourself). Now, the location is also pretty good - 5 mins walk from the tram station, and - what is more important - it's right in the middle of quiet alley, so car noises won't disturb you. There might be occasional rambling in case of nearby constructions, but never actually bothered us and did not last long anyway. And finally, the staff is extraordinary! Very open, hospitable people (with fluent English), always happy to offer you some fresh turkish tea or coffee. Really, I've got feeling, I was staying at my friend's house. We spent fantastic weekend at this place and would certainly choose it again! Thank you, guys!

Great hotel with excellent location, friendly staff, good facilities.

Some variation in breakfast menu would be nice, although there were lot of items. Housekeeping everyday on request only, seemed more of a hostel than hotel. Door lock missing, that is a necessity. Lighting in room very dim for reading, had to request additional light, which was provided next day.

Excellent location in the old city, most attractions are within walking distance. Hagia Sofia is literally around the corner. Tram stop also nearby, excellent connectivity to the rest of the city. Lots of eating options. Small family run place, friendly staff very helpful.

The most central hotel ever
    • Double Room with View

I don't know if it's normal procedure in Turkey, but our room has been cleaned only once in 5 days...you can imagine how smelly it was when we left.

The view from the window of our room was stunning, beautiful Hagia Sofia. It is so close to the main touristic spots you will not believe how easy it is to get around. Staff is funny and nice, really helpful, even late at night. The breakfast was also nice, not super diverse but still good.

great location and very tasty tea in the hotel

I was really disappointed with a shuttle service from the airport. We ordered a private shuttle for us (4 people), but it was another family traveling with us. It would not have been a problem, but the bus made a big D-tour dropping them off. All in total it took around 1 hour to arrive from the airport and at least 30 minutes from it was lost because of this D-tour after dropping off another passengers. We needed as well to wait for our shuttle to come (around 20 minutes), it didn't wait for us on arrival. I expected a better service, considering that we pre-booked it and it costed 25 euro.

Staff was very friendly and helpful and they spoke on several languages. It was a tea and coffee that we could receive any time, I liked it a lot. Nice breakfast. Amazing location - close to Hagia Sofia and Blue mosque, as well the tram station was nearby

Exceptional hotel located in the heart of Sultanahmet and a short walk away from all the sights

I rarely say this about a hotel - nothing.

The hotel is in an excellent location in Sultanahmet, only a short walk away from the Hagia Sofia and Blue Mosque. The breakfast option is excellent, plenty of choice and all very well prepared and presented. The staff are exceptional, very accommodating and welcoming. The room was immaculate and perfect size for me as a solo traveler. I will be staying here again when I visit Istanbul.

i'd come back in a heartbeat! great breakfast and location

Some construction next.door caused noise during the day but clearly beyond the hotel's control.

Amazing breakfast, staff went out of their way to be helpful including weighing my luggage and getting me off to the airport before 4:00AM. Very clean and quiet. Room darkening blinds helped.me adjust to time change. Good water.pressure in shower even on the 3rd floor. Great value for $. What more could I ask for?

I chose this hotel because of its location to the main...

I chose this hotel because of its location to the main historical attractions. It really has a very good location. Small, cozy, with its own special flavor and energy. But the most indelible impression was made on me by people who create this atmosphere - feeling of warmth, care, kindness and tenderness. I am grateful to you my friends - Salih, Aziz, Maria, Atajan for your kind caring attitude. During my stay at the hotel I felt like at home, among relatives and friends. If I come to Istanbul again, I will definitely stay only at the Modern Sultan hotel. Highly recommend.

We enjoyed it!
    • Double Room with View

It was a well decorated spacious room. Wonderful view, kind,friendly and helpful staff, so near to everything. Wifi was free and we never had a problem with it.

Very good location, with great view on Aya Sofia.
    • Double Room with View

Very small room, on photos looked bigger. Only espresso and nes coffee.

Very good location, with great view on Aya Sofia. The breakfast was very good one!

My stay was very comfortable and I was relaxed .Thank you all staffs there .

I like every thing in Modern Sulatn Hotel .Really every one is helpful and respectful .All staffs are nice .I like the room the breakfast and I appreciate the customer service given by all staffs .I wish them all luck and success and sure I will come back there .

As I went Istanbul and stayed in modern sultan hotel .I found it as an excellent one .The location is very nice close to every thing .They way staffs are very friendly they are showing smile all of them and any question they answered with pleasure .They show me every thing .In addition I found all the respect from them I felt as I am one of them I approached them easy as they are friendly and smart especially salih and the two others .One has a bear and the other one who is sitting in the reception sorry I forgot their names but really they were very kind .Breakfast is very nice I found every thing delicious and sweet and even staffs who prepared breakfast are very kind and smart really and they asked you which kind of coffee you like .The room is very clean the same as bathroom .Also the decoration in the room I like it .The WIFI signal is very strong i didnt find any obstacles to call or use internet .Thank you very much all staffs of Modern Sultan Hotel . I like your service .I will come again there and stay in the same hotel .Thank you for the hospitality .

Great staff, great location, great breakfast!

a) My room size - definitely quite tiny and cramped and suitable for a single person only. I could never tell from pictures tho' I think they include room sq. ft in description - good to pay attention! b) No desk etc in room c) Few trashcans - and small ones that exist. d) Nice to have advertised 24 hrs tea availability - tho they always made it available on request. Better to make it a feature...

a) The staff - esp the hardworking ever-smiling Atakhan at the front desk - awesome! b) The Location - perfect! I had a window view of Hagia Sophia! c) The breakfast! Great effort - good selection! Thanks. d) Help with carrying luggage and storing it till departure. Appreciated! e) Locker in room. f) Great TV selections. g) Reliable airport pickup/dropoff facility.

I had one night in IStanbul waiting for my next flight.

I had one night in IStanbul waiting for my next flight. The hotel exceeded expectations for the price I paid. The room was clean and comfortable. Breakfast was really good. The personnel was extremely welcoming and helpful. I did not have warm clothes with me, so they borrowed me a jacket and directed me to the nearest shop.

lovely house ,highly recommend

Perfect location and staff there are very helpful and kind. There's 24hours free tea and coffe, that's really thoughtful and even after you check out you can still sit down and enjoy a cup of tea. Salih is a great man with sense of humor,very happy to chat with him

The location of the hotel is excellent. The staff is very helpful and warm hearted. The room we stayed in was furnitured very well. The breakfast wad also really good, with lots of things to choose from. I would definitely stay there again in my next Istanbul trip.

The location was excellent

It was my bad luck that the room smelt of cigarette smoke & I was a bit uncomfortable because of this. However, they offered me room freshener immediately, as all other rooms were booked & I couldn’t be shifted to another room. In a nutshell, if the smell of smoking doesn’t bother you, modern sultan hotel is ideal place to stay for a couple of nights

The location was excellent The staff and Salih are very hospitable and helpful The bed was comfortable The breakfast was good They allowed me to check out an hour late, and allowed me to keep my bag safely in their premises after check-out Salih was kind enough to guide me to the route for the airport, and also made me wonderful milk coffee

I enjoyed a perfect stay in Istanbul thanks to this hotel’s staff!

There is no lift, so if you are assigned to 4th floor rooms, it is a little bit tough to take your baggage into the room.

Everything! Breakfast, staff, service, etc. And location is perfect to see around Sultanahmet district.

There is no elevator, but that wasn't a problem for us.

The location is perfect, just by Hayia Sophia and next to tram. The staff was very helpful and especially Salih! We have travelled a lot, but he is the best owner we have , he went out of his way just to make our trip memorable. The room was perfect for its money. We will definitely come back.

Perfect stay

The stairs may not be for everyone, though I had no problem with them.

I paid for a single room but got upgraded to a double room with amazing views to Santa Sophia. The guy at the reception is the nicest you can find, he was really helpful giving information and even lent me his Istanbul transport card for the day. The room was clean, warm (welcoming cause outside was freezing) and comfortable. The buffet breakfast was really good as well. I had just one day here and hoped I had more.

Great choice for Sultanahmet.

The rooftop bar belonging to the hostel next door can be a little noisy at night. I'm a light sleeper and it wasn't loud enough to keep me awake but you could definitely hear it.

Lovely small, family run hotel right in the heart of Sultanahmet. 2 mins walk from all the main sites and easily reached by public transport. Spotlessly clean and very kind, helpful management. Fantastic value for money.

Felt welcome, comfortable stay
    • Family Room with View (4 Adults)

A lift wouldve been nice sp if youre on one of the top floors.but its a small hotel so not too much bother i guess.

The staff was super. Very child friendly, good variety for breakfast and we even had our family room upgraded free of charge!a special thanks to staff member Maria,who looked after us like family. Would def stay again

Would've loved to stay longer at the Modern Sultan.

Wi-Fi was complementary but not always stable. Would've liked tea and coffee facilities in rooms.

Good location, nice people. Helpful front desk. Good breakfast. Small and cosy hotel. Quiet enough at night.

Enjoyable, friendly and a very good location
    • Double Room with View

The breakfast was lovely! The lady serving the breakfast was very pleasant too. The hotel staff were very kind and nice. They gave good directions and helped with the luggage up and down the stairs. The only thing which wasn't really that good was that there was no lift, and older folks might find it a hassle and pain to go up and down.

Value for money close to all the top places.
    • Family Room (5 guests)

Topkapi,Hagia Sophia, Sultanahmet mosque all at walking distance.Lot's of restaurants around, tram is very close to the hotel.Breakfast was excellent.All the staff were very helpful esp Sabry Hatakan and Maria.

The best hotel, all was clear and close to center.
    • Family Room with View (4 Adults)

The best hotel, all was clear and close to center. If I will come back that will be only in this hotel. Breakfast was great.My family was happy,Thanks a lot Sabri.

-Perfect location: extremely close to all major places of...

-Room was much more smaller than it was shown on the photos and described in Booking.com -Room was shabby. Renovation is needed

-Perfect location: extremely close to all major places of interest -Very pleasant staff -Good breakfast served by friendly hostess in the clean cafe -Nice view from the window -Quiet

Best service in turkey

Breakfast is basic but the atmosphere is home-like. The team in the hotel will do everything to make your trip fantastic by all means. I would like to thank Mr. sabri. He is continiously looking forward to see you happy in your stay. The rooms are like most rooms in sultanahmet size is not of great size. It is clean and neat. Location is great as it is near to everything. But above all the small things that matter. Service os extraordinary and will definitly come again.

I had good experience staying at this hotel. I received more what i paid for, very close to all good

Staff were very cooperative, speak English, breakfast was made up to my test and needs.

its fantastic, more than what we paid for, very close to almost every good visiting place. Easy accessibility to the transport all around.

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

A Gem for a Small Budget
    • Double Room with View

The room needs additional lighting such as a pair of bedside table lamps & a functioning light above the bathroom mirror.

Aziz, the owner/manager is very accommodating. Modern Sultan Hotel is just 5-10 minutes walk to Istanbul's main tourist attractions like the Hagia Sofia, Blue Mosque, Topkapi Palace, Basilica Cistern & the Grand Bazaar. The hotel bed is quite comfortable.

• Reviewed: 30 December 2016

Favorite hotel in Istanbul!
    • Family Room (5 guests)

We loved absolutely everything!!! Aziz and Omer super friendly and helpful. The hotel is very clean and in quiet place so you can sleep and no one will disturb you, but close to the main attractions, just 3 min walk. Great view! Definitely will stay here again!

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

Welcoming Host & Great Location!
    • Double Room with View

There was a faint cigarette-smell in our room. It probably would not bother most people... I'm hyper-sensitive to cigarette smoke.

Aziz, our welcoming host, really understands Customer Service and how to make Guests feel welcome. Because our trip was unfortunately so short... we had to plan very well, and he did everything he could to make things run smoothly. The locations is convenient to so many amazing monuments.

Nice staff:)

Noize Not clean up garbage:(

Nice staff:)

good choice
    • Family Room (5 guests)

the breakfast wasn't that good enough

the quite, and the facilities

Perfect

All is perfect

The view in the room

like a small home not a hotel

no elevator no fridge no kettle not very good location bad facilities

like a small home not a hotel

Good

Bed comfort. Bed sheets are not soft.

Location. View.

A cosy and clean place in the center of the touristic sites in Istanbul.
    • Triple Room with City View

We felt like at home. Mr. Aziz is such a kind and wonderful person that makes someone feel as if he/she is a member of the family.

The staff is very helping, cooperative and friendly.
    • Double Room with View

The staff is very helping, cooperative and friendly. I liked the hospitality and recommend the same for short stay.

Perfect stay

Perfect location, walking distance to attractions, tram, restaurants, boutiques. Good Wi-fi and A/C. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

Extremely wonderful staff and excellent location

Extremely wonderful staff and excellent location

Interesting building, great views and nice people.

Great location and wonderful staff.

clean, nice and friendly staff, great location.

wifi condition was not great

clean, nice and friendly staff, great location.

The best hotel in Istanbul.
    • Double Room with View

The best hotel in Istanbul. Nice place, wonderful staff. You feel like you’re home. For sure we will come again to the Modern Sultan Hotel.

Wonderful

Absolutely nothing!

Everything was great! The staff / owners very helpful and accommodating. Customer service is beyond compare.

The hotel is perfect :for its location, the room is very nice and comfortable.the personals are atte
    • Family Room (5 guests)

more night to stay there :)

breakfast was good , bed was more comfortable .

Location is excellent!

Nothing at all

Location is excellent! Owners are awesome and did everything to help me with shuttles, tours, etc... The bed is really confortable

Thank you hotel staff for great days in Stambul!
    • Double Room with View

The room is too small, but there is no space to enlarge it

The location for tourists is excellent!

The staff was very friendly, the Location - perfect, close...

The staff was very friendly, the Location - perfect, close to transport and all the sights and the room was comfortable and clean!

Excellent siteseeing!

Nothing, all is OK.

Excellent siteseeing!!! Very kind and polite staff! Tasty breakfasts. The best location!

Great location and friendly staff

Room is quite small.

Staff are friendly and helpful. Great location. Close to tram station and sightseeing places.

Great place to stay in Istanbul

Great location close to transport and all the sights. Super friendly staff!

excellent staff.
    • Family Room (5 guests)

excellent staff. one of the best Hotel I ever been.

Welcoming and friendly owner.

Welcoming and friendly owner. Comfortable and clean

the BEST!!

The hotel exceeded my expectations. The staff was very friendly and accommodating‼︎

Great hotel for solo tourist and first time to Istanbul

missed no TV

everything

Excellent.

some breakfast items were finished too early. Breakfast could be better.

Good value for money. Very helpful staff. Comfy room.

Thanks for everything.

Thanks for everything. The location was perfect and the staff really friendly and helpful. We will come again.

Everything just perfect!

Everything just perfect!

Stairs

Nice staff and plenty of food
    • Family Room (5 guests)

the room was leaky. But it has been fixed by staff

Nice staff and plenty of food