2. Tanzania hotel reviews
  3. Dar es Salaam hotel reviews
  4. Reviews of ShaMooL Hotel

Reviews of ShaMooL Hotel This rating is a reflection of how the property compares to the industry standard when it comes to price, facilities and services available. It's based on a self-evaluation by the property. Use this rating to help choose your stay!

Sinza, Block E, Matatiele Rd, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania

#54 of 95 hotels in Dar es Salaam

4.7

Read more– opens a dialog box

• Reviewed: January 12, 2019

Good hotel, when using Ubungo Bus Station

Everything was ok. I just wished it was closer to Ubungo and the main street where the buses pass.

I was arriving lat in the evening, from Mwanza, with a bus at Ubungo bus station and I wanted something close to the station. It turned out we arrived at 12.30 at night. The location in maps.me, was wrong, showing it next to the university. I took a boda boda, and he knew where it was. I paid 5000. Considering the time ..it was ok. Its good to say Sinza, as the area is called and they will know. Its easy to go in town with dala dalas. You just have to go to the main road, and one will come. I took the ons to Posta, and they leave in from of Posta. Also you always find a place, because they are at the start of the journey. I walked to the mall, I forgot what is called .Mimimalini ..something. And from there its not long to Mwenze, craft market. Also the Village museum is not very far. I did not get to visit it, because I thought its closer t Mwenze. Overall the hotel was excellent, as a transit hotel when coming to Ubungo. But you still have to get a taxi or boda, as its to far away to walk. The room was clean, there was mosquito net, the staff was great and the breakfast was plenty. Also the location seemed safe, even though it loked more like a village with a lot of upaved roads.

• Reviewed: January 8, 2019

I recommend for this hotel and hope to visit again near future

The staffs were friendly and the hotel in general was good.

The hotel was very nice.location was ok.I enjoyed my stay for two days.only the dinner was taking long due to the cook since he was alone in the kitchen.

• Reviewed: January 8, 2019

air conditioner was strong enough.

bad location there is a church nearby so you can hear praying all the time chicken cries at very early morning

air conditioner was strong enough. clean bathroom and room friendly reception

• Reviewed: January 7, 2019

I really loved the rooms, really clean and big.
    • Suite

The location wasnt the greatest, it was basically in the middle of nowhere down some pretty bumpy roads. But it was only 15 minutes from the bus terminal, so still a good place to stay if your goal is leaving early to catch a bus. Also no balcony was a downside.

I really loved the rooms, really clean and big. Really good AC and fan. The beds were MASSIVE and super comfy. Thd eating outside area is really airy and nice and I really enjoyed relaxing there. Thd staff was reall nice, helped me immediately and without complaint when I locked myself out of my room, and there was even somewhere there at 4:45am in the morning at the desk and the gate to see me off and it made me feel really safe. Definitely would stay again!

• Reviewed: January 6, 2019

Next time it will be another place

Bad dinner. We had long way from Mtwara, so we had late dinner at about 11 o'clock in the evening. We had wonderful chicken sizzler with not fresh salad. We noticed that only when we tried it... Result: food poisoning. We had stayed in this hotel before, and that experience was pretty good. This time we took cheaper room (just 3 dollars cheaper) and the room was much worse: dirty sheet, stinking pillows, furniture is too big for such a small room

Breakfast. We have been traveling in Tanzania for more that 1 month. And it was the best breakfast: besides usual eggs, tosts, tea and juice there was salad, fried banana, potato, etc.But we couldn't enjoy it in full measure... Good location for those who want to stay near Ubongo bus station.

• Reviewed: January 3, 2019

I give 5 starts to this hotel.

To my friend the personal confused the room and entered in his room at 7am when he was in the room. It was not normal. They apologised for that. It didn't happen to me. For me everything was almost perfect.

The good service, the excellent breakfast and the attention of the personal. The personal is young and very welcoming. They were 100% available for the customers. I came back happy.

• Reviewed: December 30, 2018

It is a good for those who want to stay in a cheap place near Ubongo bus station

We had really early check-out (5 o'clock). And in the evening administrator assured us that they would give a box with breakfast. But they didn't keep their promise. Also we had problem with finding the hotel. The real location is here (GPS): -6.783749, 39.226342 In confirmation letter I got another address. This GPS: -6.784164, 39.207565. So first time we came to the wrong place. We had a long way from Mikumi (6hours). So we were tired and getting to the wrong place made us really upset. Real location of the hotel is not very pleasent place. Also there was no Internet. Admin told us that was because of the Christmas.

Bed was really fantastic!!! We slept like on a cloud. It was so comfortable! Everything was clean and tidy. Good food in a restaurant. Delicious and cheap. There are lots of places to buy fruits near the hotel. And Ubongo bus station is just 2-3 km away.

• Reviewed: December 28, 2018

I can't say anything stood out for me at the place really

1. I didn't like the fact that the WiFi wasn't working even though they gave me two options. 2. Paid for By&B but the breakfast was really not value for the money 3. On Booking.com I was to be charged $23 but when I got there they charged us $25 even after showing them the confirmation message 4. Beddings weren't the cleanest 5. Room hadn't been properly cleaned for the next clients

I can't say anything stood out for me at the place really

• Reviewed: November 20, 2018

Quite bearable all things considered.

The room allocated to me was not clean nor comfortable. I had to be moved to another whose air conditioning was faulty.

The reception staff were very friendly and the kitchen always had fresh food. No leftovers served at the hotel.

Stayed in November 2018

• Reviewed: November 14, 2018

Close to Ubungo bus station - perfect for morning trips

The breakfast for sure. More TV channels in the TV also would be great. Also, try to not throw away the toothbrushes after one stay, cause it's not so ecological.

Close to Ubungo bus terminal (30 minutes by foot or 5 minutes by taxi), to restaurants and mini shops. Quite by night and felt safe in the night.

• Reviewed: October 4, 2018

They are very nice and kind .

The AC works well but drops lots of water during the night that's all that needs fixing

They are very nice and kind .. would love to visit during my next visit

• Reviewed: September 27, 2018

Splendid experience!

I feel it would be nice if there are (more) variations in the accessible television stations. This would be especially nice since some of us, for instance, may not be football fans. But after the live football matches, the swap to movie stations were always perfect.

The staff were incredibly helpful and my room was always tidy when I returned! The location of the hotel was also perfect for me as I could easily reach the University of Dar es Salaam where I was attending a conference. The hotel will almost certainly be my first stop when next I am in Dar.

• Reviewed: September 23, 2018

The hotel is excellent and indeed value for money.

The room is a bit small.

The hotel is excellent and indeed value for money. It might seem far from the city center as defined by where the Askari Monument and the Posta (the main post office) are, but a simple cab (which the hotel can help arrange) or Uber ride can get you there in no time. The hotel is a ten-minute drive (or on the bajiji) from Mlimani City, the largest air-conditioned shopping mall in Tanzania, where you can buy daily necessities or have afternoon tea. ATMs are in abundance at the mall. The hotel restaurant is superb; there is not a single dish that had not exceeded my expectations--try especially the chicken and fish items! Most of the hotel staff can speak fluent or at least comprehensible English. The hotel also offers affordable laundry services. My room is clean and equipped with a mosquito net around the bed, but throughout my two-week stay, I had not seen a single mosquito in the room. Airport shuttle, breakfast, and hot shower are available. In short, I cannot recommend this hotel enough. Try to learn a few basic Swahili words before coming--the smile and appreciation of the locals are priceless.

• Reviewed: August 28, 2018

Just 1 night, nothing special

Asked by email a few days before getting there to arrange a taxi from the airport to the hotel to have a fixed price. They answered telling me it was 18$, and saying there was no need to book the taxi and we can just grab it ourself. Not really willing to help, and when we arrived at the taxi station in Dar es Salaam it was hard to negotiate, it was late in the night and we were tired so we finally paid 30$. They could arrange the transfer to make it easier.

Stayed there for one night just to transit from Dar es Salaam to Zanzibar. Arrived late in the night et leaved early in the morning. About 30-40 minutes from the airport (in the night with less traffic jam). Breakfast was just ok. AC was good.

• Reviewed: August 27, 2018

Serviceminded staff.

Serviceminded staff.Very good bed and excellent food at resturant.In a safe and quiet area of Dar es Salaam.All in all,I can recommend this hotel for others.

• Reviewed: July 30, 2018

Transit - clean, comfy and too cold

Please... the air con had no remote, so it was either 18 degrees or off. Cold or stuffy. Take your pick.

This is a cheap transit hotel when you have an early bus to catch. The rooms were so small. But it was only to sleep in. They made us a takeaway breakfast, as our bus left at 6.30am. The beds were comfy, it was clean, quiet and fit the purpose.

• Reviewed: July 22, 2018

Do not stay here.

Do not stay here. In my opinion you are better off elsewhere. The rooms are extremely tiny and dirty. Also all fixtures and amenities are old. I don’t know how else to say it, but just don’t do it.

• Reviewed: June 26, 2018

Well worth the money.

Some of the fixtures and fittings are a bit wobbly or in need of repair.

The staff at this hotel are amazing and they really go out of their way to help guests with everything. And they are so smiley. We had a whole team help us with our ridiculous amount of luggage. Breakfast is brilliant! It varies every day, always a nutritious balance on offer and eggs fresh to order. Great chefs and freshly cooked proper meals available 24hrs a day, perfect after a long journey and late arrival. Dinner was delicious and specially made just as we like it - I have never had such good fish in Dar! (Including a lot of the fancy pants places on the waterside...) The hotel has a nice calm atmosphere. We enjoyed watching the football on the big screen and movies in our room and everything's pretty clean. A really good stay. :)

• Reviewed: June 18, 2018

I like the staff because they stand when they see you...

More about the food maybe because I love food

I like the staff because they stand when they see you approaching. That is a sign of respect and honour.

• Reviewed: June 1, 2018

The in-house staff team are good.

There are limited meals to choose from, it is not easy communicating with the staff team because most of them do not understand English very well

The in-house staff team are good.

• Reviewed: May 19, 2018

Short taxiride from ubongo terminal.

It was very close to a big mosque, that woke us up every morning at 4.30 am. We only got 1 towel in the room to share. We told them that it should be 2 towels, 1 each, but nothing happened. It was a double room, but was equipped for 1 person. 1 towel, 1 water, 1 toothbrush. The restaurant does not serve alcohol. We were celebrating our national day, and wanted to enjoy our dinner with a glass of wine. If we had known about this earlier, we would have found another restaurant before returning back to the hotel.

Short taxiride from ubongo terminal. Friendly staff. Good food. Great price.

• Reviewed: April 26, 2018

Deceiving location and no hot water.

The location on Booking.com shows it nearby the Ubungo Bus station and that's is why I chose it. But it is actually from from the station so I had to pay for a taxi to get there in the dark. The mosquito net wasn't hung properly so it was useless. The shower had no hot water in the morning. The restaurant had no change at dinner and the receptionist promised to get change and give it to me inte morning but it wasn't done. The taxi the reception got me was expensive.

Price, soap and toothpaste provided.

• Reviewed: December 22, 2018

Its a very decent hotel for a couple of nights.
    • Deluxe Double Room

Its a very decent hotel for a couple of nights. Clean! Good value for money!

• Reviewed: December 20, 2018

good

Bathroom on hot water

In all very good

• Reviewed: December 20, 2018

Value for money, good for business travellers

Good breakfast with local foods always available Good parking Good location Hot shower

• Reviewed: December 18, 2018

Horrible
    • Deluxe Double Room

Horrible, hotel de passe, personnel pas du tout aidant

• Reviewed: December 7, 2018

Helpful staff and clean rooms

WiFi was not working on my floor

Helpful staff and clean rooms

• Reviewed: December 5, 2018

Improve on the comfort of bed

Bed comfort, size of the room and heat in the room..

Restaurant

Stayed in November 2018

• Reviewed: October 29, 2018

We enjoyed

Food

• Reviewed: September 30, 2018

Good location for a night stay near ubungo bus station

The bed was comfy. The shower nice and hot.

• Reviewed: September 26, 2018

It was fulfilling.

low internet

• Reviewed: September 24, 2018

Friendly and helpful staff.

Noisy outside! Music stops around 2am and call-to-prayer starts about 4.

Friendly and helpful staff.

• Reviewed: September 20, 2018

I had a gud timr

Channel on television was not seen very well only one channel was seen clear and that was itv ze the rest nothing

The room was marvellous and services

• Reviewed: September 13, 2018

Perfect

Location, care and good handling of the customers

• Reviewed: August 30, 2018

My stay was great

Far from where i was going.

The room was good!

• Reviewed: August 27, 2018

The food was delicious and healthy

There was no hot water

The food was delicious and healthy

• Reviewed: August 10, 2018

Good Hotel at dar es salaam (price and restaurant)

Foods (restaurant)

• Reviewed: August 9, 2018

the facility needs to be upgraded

the facility needs to be upgraded

• Reviewed: July 20, 2018

The hotel is cool and comfortable to stay in.

Water supply system is poor

The hotel is generally good but the road to the hotel is too rough.

• Reviewed: July 16, 2018

Passable hotel near ubungo bus station

Cramped room, small bed, needs maintenance, poor wifi

Restaurant was good, staff was helpful

• Reviewed: May 28, 2018

Everything was awesome

Everything was awesome

There are also 16 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.

We Price Match