Reviews of U Hotel Fifth Avenue 3 stars

373 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10016 , USA

#314 of 415 hotels in New York

• Room with One Full Bed

At the reception we were told not to worry about the breakfast when we were asking to pay breakfasts in advance. That was a little confusing couse on the booking.com pages was told that breakfast was 10 dollars per person. So we paid breakfast by ourselves at the Mill next door about 25 dollars for two person. Street noises through the airconditioning system were bothering a little but after full days in the city sleep was coming anyway very easy.

Staff was friendly and it was very clean everywhere. Breakfast at the next door Mill was very good and easy to order and the staff there was most friendly. Wasn´t coming any noises from other rooms. Everything was working nicely. Checking in and out was easy and fast.

• Room with One Full Bed

The room is very small, smaller than most of the other NY hotels TV programming was hard to figure out. No closet in the room, had to hang clothes on the hooks on the wall

Location is good. AC unit was much quieter than other older hotels

• Room with One Full Bed

I was hoping to unpack a few items from my suitcase, but there was no place to hang clothes at all. No iron to just quickly enhance my dress for the evening.

• Queen Room

Only 2 things. Wifi was awful. Requires login 3-4 times a day, and my macbook couldn't login for 10-20 minutes for unknown reason. I just had to wait. 2. My room hadn't closet! It was some unconvient.

Staff is very kind and helpful, espesially John and Steven. Thank you, guys! Location is excellent, one block from Empire State Building. Clean, modern rooms.

• Room with One Full Bed

There wasn’t much space for luggage in our room and you have to sign back into the WiFi each time you want to use it but these were of course very minor issues.

U Hotel allowed us to visit New York on a budget and met all our needs being extremely clean, comfortable and in an excellent location for exploring the city. We also had an incredible view of the Empire State Building which was an amazing bonus. The staff were friendly and always ready to help from storing our luggage to giving directions. I’d definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for an affordable but nice and modern hotel to relax in after an inevitably fast paced day exploring NYC! Thanks for a fantastic stay.

• Room with One Full Bed

Small but cosy hotel located next to the Empire State Building (I could see it from my window!). The room is small (this is common in NYC), but comfortable and well decorated (recently renovated). I would stay again.

• Room with One Full Bed

The only thing I would say was annoying was the huge air conditioner which took up a portion of the room. Given the size of the rooms, it made it a bit annoying to move around.

The location was perfect, right by the Empire State building and the rooms are kept very clean. Perhaps smaller air conditioners would be something to consider. Other than that it was a great stay!

• Queen Room

Great position. Very small room with no wardrobe, no breakfast but Starbucks in the same building ... but you are on 5th Avenue at 50mts from Empire State Building. I was travelling alone and for me it was ok.

• Queen Room

The staff was really friendly and was always one step ahead. So you didn’t really had to ask for anything at all. The room was always super clean and the checkout was even more convenient than the checkin. I would always come back.

• Room with One Full Bed

Some of the people from the staff at front desk were ok (but nothing great ) , and some of them forgot that they have a client facing job. Complete ignorance and lack of interest. One of the worse attitudes I’ve seen around the world. A good training for them might be useful so they at show a bit more joy in front of the guests :) rooms very small, so don’t think of spending too much time there, there’s not too much space

Great locarion!! Small rooms but clean! good enough for the money (considering its midtown Manhattan on 5th Avenue and next to Empire State Building)

• Queen Room

For a week it was too much of a squeeze. Paid for a bigger room but only got it two days in. Staff were apologetic but even then, there was no real wardrobe space and still no safe in the room which I wasn't happy about. It was worth the visit and we'd return but when you pay for something you expect to get it from the first day. I also asked before arriving for champagne to be in the room upon arrival (at our expense of course) as we were celebrating an anniversary but no reply.:(

The bed was comfortable and the room was clean. Great location for visiting the city and staff were lovely.

• Room with One Full Bed

Room was very small, no space for clothes, front room was very noisy till moved to a rear one.

The location is great. Cleanliness is good. staff is very friendly.

• Room with One Full Bed

No sound proof, you can hear every thing happened in next rooms, and if you'll stay in room beside the street you'll be very annoyed

Its location, and value compare to the other hotel surrounding, vey nice staff.

• Room with One Full Bed

I stayed at the 9th floor and I can hear some street noise, if you are sensitive to sound, bring some earplugs.

The location is just perfect. The room is tiny but if you are traveling alone or only with +1 is adequate. The personal is really friendly and helpful. I would definitively recommend this place. From my window I took some great pictures of the Empire State building.

• Room with One Full Bed

I stayed here 2 weeks ago but my card is still pending a charge from them. I called the hotel and the staff was so bad. They were rude and they did not try to help with anything. All they said was they cant help me and to settle it with my bank. I told him that if my bank says anything, i will call him back and he just answered, “i can’t do anything anyway”. And after i called my bank they said the hotel has to confirm with them before they can cancel or i have to wait 30 day and it will go away. Also they charged me twice. I called them and they said i have 2 booking in same day which makes no sense.Who is going to book twice in the same day. Later they found out it was some mistake on them system and they refunded my money. so be careful

• Queen Room

As Boutique hotels in NYC go, U Hotel was very nice. If you haven't stayed in this type of hotel, you need to know that the rooms are very small. If you want a little more room (but that's by comparison) book the queen size room. U Hotel was perfect though - it's only a few blocks from Grand Central and it was right near where my business was. I didn't have to take a cab/uber or subway once while there.

• Room with One Full Bed

Rooms are too small. Very noisy because its on 5th avenue. Shower is not good.

Location. Close to empire state, fashion avenue, 10 minutes from times square. 5th avenue is the perfect location.

• Room with One Full Bed

They didn’t have a water fountain or anything and I was not about to pay 3$ for a cheap bottle of water.

The bed was comfy and the bathroom although small was clean and very functional.

• Room with One Full Bed

Rooms are small, basically a bed and a bathroom. Not even a cupboard to store anything. And there is almost no pressure on the shower water (at least on the 7th floor). I know it's New York, but this is very, very basic.

Location is perfect and personnel is exceptional.

• Queen Room

I literally had to live out of my suitcase! There are no drawers or a closet of any kind--only an option for hanging a few things on the wall--but you'd have had to bring your own hangers if you wanted to hang things other than a purse or coat. I would have happily given up the nightstand for a tiny wardrobe space. Just a rod and a few hangers would have sufficed! Queen-sized bed basically took up the whole room, so I would have gladly traded some mattress space away for clothes hanging options as well.

I loved that the decor was modern, the rooms were clean and kept clean, the window until (both heat and A/C) worked very well, and the staff were all friendly and helpful. The location was amazing. Hot water was never an issue. Nice, big flat screen TV. Never had any problems with the wifi. For someone who really just needs a place to sleep, this would be ideal.

• Room with One Full Bed

Please out a small fridge for guests to store some drinks and water and small drawers for clothes

The location was great. Close to everything everyone wants to experience in New York.

• Room with One Full Bed

Outstanding location. Reception staff were outstanding and helped us with familiarising ourselves with NYC. Would certainly book here again. Amazing value for money

• Room with One Full Bed

the size of the room is small

one of my favorite hotel. the bed was very comfortable and smell soo good.. I stayed here because I was super stressed at work and this place helped me sleep well and relax

• Room with One Full Bed

The air conditioner is too large which made the space lesser in room. The housekeeping could be improved.

Excellent location! The bed is good for Asian which is not too soft. Shower is also good with steady water pressure.

• Room with One Full Bed

Would have been nice to have a safety deposit box in the room. There are just a handful of safety deposit boxes in the basement.

Hotel is in a perfect location on 5th Avenue and close to everything you need! We could see the empire state building from our room and the nearest subway station is a 5 minute walk away. The rooms are small but have everything you need and the bed is comfy. Staff are friendly and are always there to help. For the price we paid we were extremely happy! We’ve stayed in new york before and would definitely choose to stay here again.

• Room with One Full Bed

I can’t think of anything. Great value for money. If you’re expecting the same amenities of a posh hotel go somewhere else.

I really liked the service given upon checking in by John in particular. Greeted with a smile and was super helpful. I was also very pleased with the job done by housekeeping. My room was immaculate, towels changed everyday, bath items replenished. The view from my window was the Empire State Building....million dollar value at night especially.

• Room with One Full Bed

Rooms were small, but worth it for the price. The AC unit was a massive piece sticking out in the room and took up some of the little space we had, but it wasn’t terrible.

Great for couples. The room was clean and the location was great. Perfect for a place to sleep at night. TV was nice with basic channels. Bathroom was also clean.

Room was tiny, with next to no hanging space for clothes. Wouldn't recommend for any more than 1 night. Lift was regularly out of order - fine for us on 3rd floor, not so good for those on higher floors.

• Room with One Full Bed

It is a very small room, however it is clear in Booking.com website, so it was not a surprise at all. I suggest they put a minibar and/or a microwave in the room for a quick snack.

This property was everything that I was expecting. The staff is very friendly and helpful. They let me check in 3 hours earlier and check out 1 hour late free of charge. The location is totally great.

• Room with One Full Bed

It is not that I dont like it, but the only thing I would try to add to this beautiful boutique hotel is a small fitness center. obviously in keeping the concept of the hotel it can be small, nothing complicated, maybe one or two treadmills , one set of weights and one multipurpose lifting machine. or there is a 24 hours fitness center just a few blocks away...maybe they can partner with them for the guests to use their facilities.

I was impressed by the beautiful little room. it was as if taken out of a magazine.

• Room with One Full Bed

The heater was quite noise and woke me up when it fired up during the night. Rather noisy although at 7th floor it was bearable.

Great location for visiting Manhattan. Small but clean and comfortable room.

• Room with One Full Bed

Could use shelves or more hooks to hang clothes as stowage options are limited.

Convenient to attractions on 5th Ave. Starbucks is next door and opens at 530am weekdays.

• Room with One Full Bed

No safebox Bad sound proof - better sound proofing needed given the location (busy 5th Avenue) Air conditioning in room was loud and prevented a good night sleep

Location Clean Staff

• Room with One Full Bed

would like to have a lobby area - the hotel is very basic so no real area to sit and wait for friends, etc. but for the price in Manhattan it was great

wonderful location, very nice shower and bathroom

All good!

Perfect location, staff were excellent...friendly, helpful and really nice :). Having Starbucks next door was ideal too! Would definitely stay here again thank you!

• Room with One Full Bed

The price stated by booking was including taxes, but I ended up paying more than what expected. Apparently is because of local taxes in New York (an additional ~17%).

Comfortable bed. Rooms are small but not too bad for few days. The location is fantastic. The hotel has no restaurant, no breakfast area but is just beside Starbucks.

• Room with One Full Bed

The water in the bathroom on the floor, and the bedroom has bad isolation. We hear the trafic on the street.

The bedroom was warm and the bed was confortable.

• Room with One Full Bed

Rooms a little "compact" but we were upgraded on arrival so shouldn't complain!

Staff were excellent, and top quality location for first time visitors to NYC

• Reviewed: 16 December 2017

• Room with One Full Bed

PERFECT, location. Extremely central to all main tourist attractions and easy to catch airport shuttle bus from 8th Avenue. Lovely staff and very helpful when asking for some sudjestions on where to go for dinner. Room was perfect for a couple, very clean and big TV Would highly recommend staying here

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

• Room with One Full Bed

The location along fifth avenue was great - a whole lot of sights and shopping were within walking distance and we barely had to take the subway for the most part. Simple groceries can be picked up at the Empire State Walgreens nearby.

• Room with One Full Bed

Great view on fifth avenue and Empire State Building. 10 minutes walk from Central Station, Rockfeller Centre and Times Square and 20 minutes by feet from Central Park, 200 mt from Empire State Building.

• Queen Room

The rooms are noisy if you have trouble sleeping

Great location, a lot of sights in walking distance ( such as ESB,Rockefeller) easy access to subway and buses

• Room with One Full Bed

Great hotel but found it hard to sleep at night as our room was near the road and it was extremely loud during the night. The cars and garbage truck never stopped. Only problem we encountered. The hotel was awesome.

• Queen Room

One of the night managers (there is only one at a time) decided to leave his post at reception to go and get dinner so I was stuck waiting to get my room keycard for 10 minutes

• Room with One Full Bed

Noise from the street & from corridor & adjacent rooms. No closet to hang clothes

Easy access to all Manhattan Good WiFi Feeling safe (As a solo traveler)

• Queen Room

This was an expensive stay in a room the size of a shoebox. The phone didn't work throughout our short stay and the TV had similar problems. The a/c was noisy and the window seal was completely worn as the outside noise felt as though there was no window ! There is no restaurant but there are plenty of places close by.

Absolutely nothing !

• Queen Room

Great location, almost right in front of the Empire!!!! Great great great location!! Clean and cozy room, as the pictures showed. Very kind staff, they helped us out a lot. The room was a bit small, but ehi we are in new york what do you think to find?!? Super good price. Starbucks was in the same building so easy and good breakfast available. 5 minutes walking to Gran Central, Public Library, 1 to the Empire, 7-8 to Times square and Madison Square garden. I can go on like this forever. Definitly I reccoman this Hotel and We will be back!

• Room with One Full Bed

A tad noisy but hey, its New York!

The #1 selling point for this hotel was LOCATION! We were in the middle of it all, making it easily accessible to all major attractions (Top of the Rock, Empire State Building, etc). Although the room was small, it was clean, simple, and had amazing view of the Empire State Building. I would recommend to anyone looking for a reasonably priced & centrally located hotel!

• Room with One Full Bed

La cercania a lugares claves como el Empire State, Times Square, Madison Square Garden, y Macy’s. La cama muy comoda, tv por cable y servicio de OnDemand.

• Room with One Full Bed

-Our toilet was leaking clean water onto the floor as the seal was broken. We fixed the problem by using towels. We let the receptionist know that there is a leak and nothing could be done on the same day as the maintenance guy was away until Saturday. We were told that we can ask to be relocated if rooms were available but it didn't bother us much so we just stayed in our room till the end of our trip. -Be prepared to hear NY traffic. Its unavoidable anywhere in NY. However if you have the air con on or the bathroom fan on, it drains the traffic noise and you sleep better that way. -No tea/coffee or kettle in the room. -Bed is a bit small. Not sure how tall people sleep on it.

-The room is small but actually you can still walk around the bed and there is enough space to have your bags. With bags there were less space but we didn't mind it as we used the room only for relaxation and sleep. -Very clean. -Friendly staff who are willing to help you. -Bed is comfy with comfy pillows. -Location is fantastic with fantastic view! We stayed in room 409 with the view to Empire State Building. -Great Wi-Fi. -Big bathroom with enough towels each day. -Starbucks next door as well as breakfast/lunch/coffee place called The Mill. Tip: Coffee at The Mill is nicer :) -Subway is a 5 min walk.

• Queen Room

There was no fridge in the room and no closet/rack/drawer for clothes (the room was too small for that but the size of the room didn't otherwise bother me as a single traveller). The room was also quite humid. You can really hear the noise from the street even on the 8th floor (but I suppose that's New York for you).

The bed was extremely comfortable and the hotel room had a nice look about it. There was a good shower with very hot water and the room had nice cozy lighting. The room also had a view of the Empire State Building. The staff were all friendly and helpful.

• Room with One Full Bed

The room had a queen bed, but very little other space (typical NYC--small rooms). There was NO closet, no hangers, just a few pegs to hang clothes.

The staff was considerate and always helpful. The manager even walked me to the shuttle to help with baggage. Since I am recovering from knee surgery I asked for an ADA room and got a complimentary upgrade. I liked the understated decor and loved the location.

• Room with One Full Bed

I enjoyed my stay at the hotel. However, it would be nice if coffee makers were provided. Also, the chairs and reading tables are so small and uncomfortable.

• Room with One Full Bed

I missed not having hangers and maybe a closet to hang my clothes. I really missed not having a way to make a cup of coffee in the morning. There were no glasses/cups to drink from or a safe for my valuables.

I like the remodeled bathrooms and decor. The bed was comfortable and the lighting good. The view of the Empire State building from the bathroom was amazing!!! I liked the staff: very helpful, friendly and accommodating. The room temperature, bedding, and TV were good, too.

• Room with One Full Bed

I love it when it's very accessible to the center Manhattan. Metro access is great and it's just few buildings away from Empire State. Best location specially if your first time in the city. Helpful staff as well specially Wendy!

• Room with One Full Bed

Great staff, very short waiting at check in and out, position in junst in front of Empire state Building, at walking distance (two blocks) from subway. very good position to visit,not only manhattan but also the other Boroughs. The room was nice and clean, recently renewed, and big enougth considering being in New York.

• Room with One Full Bed

No storage space in the room i.e drawers or wardrobe.

Comfortable bed, large shower, small room but space used well. Fast, reliable wi-fi and helpful staff.

• Queen Room

Rooms a bit small but sufficient if it's a party of 1. My hotel room was in front of the laundry & supplies closet. It was a nightmare! Woke up every day at 3 AM when the cleaning and preparation started. Also, hotel can be noisy. Often times, I found myself waking up to the sounds of cars honking or sirens, etc. Windows not sound proof.

Clean hotel in the heart of NYC with friendly staff.

• Room with One Full Bed

Room is a bit small. Cannot open my big luggage on the floor. No fridge. Wifi doesn't work.

Great location. Can walk to empire state building in a minute. Starbucks just like downstairs of the hotel. Many food shops in this area including Heartland brewery.

• Room with One Full Bed

The staff was helpful and friendly, I felt at home! Another best thing was the location. It is so in the heart of the city and within walking distance to several attractions and also across the Empire State Building.

• Room with One Full Bed

The bed was too small . Could not get out of bed without hitting head on airconditioner. The room was too small to accommodate a chair. It was far too expensive for what we received. There was no glass in the room. We did receive 4 Starbuck's cups when we asked for a couple of glasses. Location quite good. Booking.com now advertises approximately $137U.S. We paid $323U.S.????

• Queen Room

Nothing to report. All good.

The closeness to shopping, Time Square and across the road from the Empire State Building. Staff were only too happy to help with anything. Lots of good shopping and eateries close by. Happy to give me a refrigerator in my room as I had medication.

Nothing to dislike !!

Everything, the hotel was superb, from the initial reception staff to all the support staff. The room itself was spotless, the cleaners were 1st class, always clean towels and bedding 👍👍👍 The reception staff were always so friendly, with help and advice, I can’t praise them highly enough, with help with printing of tickets to check in for our flight home. Even with our taxi to the airport was no problem with the wonderful, charming young lady on reception making all the arrangements 😊 My biggest recommendation would be we will return to this hotel in the future !!! Thank you for a fantastic holiday !!!

• Room with One Full Bed

Extremely good value-for-money hotel; you're in the heart of Manhattan with everything around you. The hotel is basic in terms of facilities- but, it has one very important plus that not all facilities in NY do: amazing, extremely professional and overly attentive staff. I cannot recommend them enough. They go the extra mile, they're utterly helpful, pleasant, giving- you name it. 10+ for the staff of this hotel. I had a great stay there- the room was great for what I needed it, clean, and close to everything.

• Room with One Full Bed

Room small so no wardrobe but everything else overrode this inconvenience.

Excellent location and friendly staff. Would use this hotel again if in New York.

• Room with One Full Bed

Wi-fi dropping off after few minutes of inactivity. No wardrobe. Very small room, just about enough space to place a luggage and walk through.

Great location. Clean. Very friendly and helpful staff.

• Room with One Full Bed

Apparently we had 'the best room in the house. Overall we would not complain and will certainly stay there again if/when we are in New York.

The bed was exceedingly comfortable (they gave us an upgrade) but the room was very small and there was nowhere to store our clothes. We had to ask for hangers for our suits and dresses. The room was beautifully quiet.

• Room with One Full Bed

Poor design in the bathroom. The counter is OVER the toilet so far the lid only goes up maybe 3/4. Strangest thing I've experienced in a hotel.

Small room, but comfortable.

• Queen Room

The hotel is very small. There is no lobby or restrooms at the entrance. Starbucks which is really next to the hotel works as a substitute for the hotel's restaurant (which does not exist).

Great value for money and very good location!

No negatives.

I have no negative comments to make about the U Hotel; I would stay there again in a heartbeat! The staff are exceptional, as is the location. The proximity to The Mill---the diner next door---is also a huge plus.

• Room with One Full Bed

The staff and the cleanliness of the hotel. Everyone was EXTREMELY helpful! I could not have asked for more from this hotel and its staff. John was absolutely amazing and very kind to this mother who was bringing her child to college in NYC

I loved everything!!!

The hotel was amazing. It is a 15 minute walk from Time square, 30 steps to the Empire Building. Location is perfect central to everything!!!! The hotel was cute and small very comfortable. Starbucks is a door slide away. I recommend this hotel to anyone 10\10 staff is amazing.

• Room with One Full Bed

Room was small- expected for NY. Air con was so loud I couldn't sleep. My second day meetings were canceled but the hotel offered no refund. NY is a business city and I really feel hotels should be more accommodating on this point. Meetings are often changed last minute. Some hotels are more than understanding but this one is not. I travel to Manhattan every two weeks and would have liked if this hotel could have been home base as it is close to where I work. Sadly, no.

Location was good and Starbucks attached to lobby.

• Queen Room

Breakfast and or at least a cup of coffee with room would have made it better. Since most hotels come with Keurig’s, this was the only let down.

Bed was super comfy. Rooms exquisitely clean. Modern decor.

• Queen Room

Absolutely no storage space for clothes, no wardrobe, no hangers. Tiny room - tiny window

In-house Starbucks Friendly staff Higher floors side street less noisy General location is good... but

Browse U Hotel Fifth Avenue traveller photo gallery