Reviews of Hotel Shocard, New York 3 stars

206 West 41th Street, New York, NY 10036, USA

#208 of 415 hotels in New York

Based on 1901 hotel reviews

• Queen Room

Right next to Times Square (~3min) and to the subway (~1min). The room is small but it has everything you need and the bed is comfortable and the bathroom is good. Our room had a window to a wall but it end up being good because the room very quite which considering the location, which allowed us to rest.

• Queen Room

The house keeping was a bit lax..after the 2nd day, dirty towels, toilet items (such as shower gel, hand cream,shampoo) were not replaced.

It was the perfect location for my neice and I , as we come to NYC to go to Broadway Shows. I liked the size of the hotel , small and austere. Suited us perfectly.

• Queen Room - Disability Access

Location was GREAT!!! Everything you can possibly need is walking distance from this hotel, food places, shows, shopping, theaters and minutes away from Times Square. The staff is really friendly and helpful.

• Queen Room

This was a wonderful place to stay. The staff are amazing, special thanks to Carmen and Grace. Amazing location, amazing staff, comfortable room, just a little pricey.

Room very small (however it was just myself so not a huge problem) with no view. Otherwise all good.

Great location in Time Square yet room was quiet! Nice staff - I had a problem with air conditioning so they moved me to a new room - very obliging.

It is small, even by NYC standards. It has the loudest AC I have ever seen. If you are bothered by noise it could be a problem. Some rooms don't have windows. It has a coffe maker not a tea/ coffe maker. I drink tea which I couldn't do.

The location is perfect, the room is really clean, the bathrom is perfect and the staff is great. I arrived tired and early and they gave me a room way before check in time.

• Classic Suite

Pull out couch didn’t have a mattress for our daughter to sleep on. Luckily she is small and could just sleep on the couch.

Hotel Shocard was a great place for us and our daughter to stay. We had a outdoor balcony that over looked the street. Being our first trip to NYC we weren’t sure of the location. It was perfect. You could walk down Times Square and it was close to several Subway stations. Staff was very friendly and helpful! Would stay again in the Penthouse If we chose to come back.

The rooms are small but this is common in Times Square Hotels. And, the AC is very noisy....bring ear plugs :-)

The room and Hotel are immaculate and the staff first class. Gleason's Tavern which is an Irish bar attached to the Hotel is amazing, great staff, good food and decent prices for Times Square.

• Queen Room

No vending machines. Lobby floor was a little dirty.

Super location and very friendly and helpful staff. Also enjoyed having a refrigerator in the room.

• Queen Room

The twin bed was hard up against one wall with only a 2 foot access at the other side. very little space, no storage space, had too move around cases. Bathroom good. Hotel could only organise a rip of taxi to car hire firm. Would never stay there again, and should be removed from the list:

• Queen Room

Air conditioner was basically in the bed with me so very noisy, hot water was hit or miss, the desk had a small stool instead of a chair - the stool was so small it was really not usable so I had to find other places to work. Not ideal for a business trip.

The bed was very good (and I'm picky about the bed), all of the staff were very friendly and the room was really clean.

• Queen Room

Room was small, but worth the price. Couple of times took awhile for hot water to kick in.

Staff was very friendly. Always very helpful. Great location in Times Square.

The AC keep turning on by itself even though I turned it off. It got really cold in the middle of the night. The staff ended up gave me extra sheets and a heater so both of them were on at the same time. I finally got to sleep on the 3rd night... Free Wifi didn't work.

I looove the decor in this hotel. Super cute! The bed is very comfortable. The staff is very friendly and very accommodating. The location is so convenient, very close to the metro station.

• Queen Room

It was my boyfriend’s first time in NY so naturally we decided to stay in Times Square. This hotel was the perfect location! We stayed in a queen room (134 sq ft) and while it was small, it felt more quaint than most hotel’s I’ve ever stayed at. We were able to manage between the two of us just fine, the bed was incredibly comfortable and the shower was great. The staff were always willing to help and seemed very down to earth. The property is close enough to the “hustle and bustle” of broadway without all the noise. We did some shopping and it was great having the room so close to drop of the bags when needed. I would definitely stay here again!

Check in isn't available until 3pm. We had a early arrival with little sleep and had been told on the phone that checking in early wouldn't be a issue but the staff member that told us that was misinformed. So we had to wait until 3 but we found a place a few blocks away called Nap York where we were able to rent a nap pod for a few hours snooze time before our room was ready.

The location and price are the two key selling points. The room, while compact, was laid out well and comfortable. The shower was hot and the staff was super courteous and friendly. Gleason's pub on the ground floor also has tasty affordable food.

• Queen Room

The room door was a bit difficult to close

The room was smaller than I anticipated, but it had all the necessitates present. The bathroom was perfect. Plus who stays in the room when you are in Times Square

The room was a lot less luxurious as I would've expected for paying $200 a night. I wish there was more to it. The room was really small, which was okay for me. But the television was honestly pretty crappy and the beds could've been of higher quality.

I loved the location most of everything else. It was right in the heart of NYC, perfect for those who want the full experience. Close to pharmacies and all that too, loved it. The employees at the check-in were lovely too.

• Queen Room

We were there for 9 nights and had a lot of problems with the ac, we were cold some days and hot others. There was a very strong noise probably from the ac that made it hard to sleep at night. The room was tiny and the bed small although we booked a big bed

The staff is great and friendly, the hotel is beautifully decorated and was spotlessly clean. It is in the heart of times square.

• Queen Room

Bit of noise from some building works next door, but wasn't enough to ask for a room change.

Very friendly staff, great location and comfortable room. The hotel bar also has a great atmosphere.

The fact that they are building right outside this hotel and very heavy duty machinery starts at 7am every morning was not pleasant for us. The rooms are quite small and the room that we were in had a badly designed bed which in a room of that size meant that you were permanantly stubbing your toes !! We would have preferred a kettle to a coffee maker.

The location of this hotel is excellent the rooms are small but well fitted.

• Queen Room

Room 1 - hot water system faulty...air con faulty...no hair dryer...coffee machine faulty..bed side lamp..faulty. Manager changed us to another room...which was the actual room we booked...queen room as advertised on Booking.com...both rooms has queen beds...comfortable. Be careful with paying the account....I had 6 charges against my Credit card...two were valid...still sorting it out the other invalid charges. Staff on front desk..English very poor. Nothing but issues and would not recommend this hotel... I would run the other way...very poor maintenance and management and not worth the money.

Bed was ok

Bed sheets and pillows were dirty, used and unwashed from previous occupants. Clearly seen stains on the sheets. Some towels were torn and over used.

Just the staff and location were awesome..

• Queen Room

The only issue we had while staying was an inconsiderate guest who was playing loud music randomly throughout the nigth! It woke me up a few times and was loud, also you can hear music to about 12pm from the Irish pub beside hotel! Overall I would stay again but would want a room away from the pub side.

Hotel shocard is a gem of a hotel just off Times Square it's far superior to many other hotels we have stayed in in Manhattan

We came to the city to see a show. This hotel was perfectly located & close to the theaters, restaurants etc. Very cute, clean and staff was very pleasant & helpful. We got in early and they kept our bags for us so that we could walk around the city without them in tow. I would definitely stay here again!

It was quite noisy at times, walls are a little thin and I think there was a water pump that was making a banging noise in the mornings.

The room had a nice modern fit-out. Bathroom was really cool.

• Queen Room

One small hanging bar to hang clothing along with two small drawers, but no place to store luggage.

The bathroom was very nice, no closet space and no place to store luggage. Carmen at the desk was the best thing about our stay.

• King Suite with Balcony

Penthouse suite and terrace brilliant. Staff are friendly and want you to enjoy your stay. 2 mins if that, walk to Times Square. Bar buzzing and food really good. We are coming back! Paublo Carmen Alex and Anna and Julie all brilliant. Loved our stay here!!!

• Queen Room

The room was very tiny, smaller than expected but for our needs (sleeping) it fit the bill. The view from the window is literally bricks from the building next door. No view, minor issue with the overall value.

The staff was very inviting, bed was comfortable. Very clean room!

• Queen Room

The parking lot affiliated with the hotel tried to charge us almost double what we owed and were extremely rude.

The room was kept so clean, and the hotel staff were always more then willing to help with anything we needed.

I loved everything. This small little charming and hip hotel is really well located, next to Times Square and Bryant Park. The mood is really modern and fresh, the employees are wonderful, nice and easy going, the room was perfect, really well decorated and had everything we need. Couldn’t ask for more! We’ll come back for sure! We felt at home in Nee York!

• Queen Room

room too small for queen size bed.

For NYC & for the price, the hotel was fine. It's basic but again, for the price it was OK. The staff was friendly, helpful & efficient.

• Queen Room

A constructional site is nearby (actually at the back of the building), so it's a little noisy in the morning...

The location was really good, close to Port & Authority, which is the transportation centre to NJ, MA, many places etc. The bed was extra comfortable and beverages provided in the room was satisfying.

no view out of my room. Small quarters. Cannot in anyway check in before 300pm.

proximity to Times Square is Amazing. Staff from the adjacent restaurant is great.

Room was tiny but it’s NYC so we didn’t expect anything else, only a bed and a shower but that’s all you need and fresh towels everyday, just a bit tight when you bring all your shopping back!

Fantastic location, clean and brilliant staff who helped with using of the subway system and booking return trips to Woodbury Common shopping outlet village!

• Queen Room

Rooms were small, but that’s what I would expect from a boutique, historic location in Times Square. We don’t go to NYC to spend time in a hotel room anyway!

Excellent location! Quaint, super friendly staff!

• Queen Room

It would have been nice to have an actual blanket for the bed and not just a sheet. However, I just turned up the heat. There was construction in the back - but hardly their fault...it's NYC...what can you do.

It was close to all that I needed.

• Queen Room - Disability Access

We have really enjoyed your location and hospitality. A beautiful location to stay overnight. The hotel was super clean and the bathroom as well. Super Sweet manager! We will certainly back here!

• Queen Room

No hot water in the penthouse without turning off cool, no heat in the penthouse until it was reset. The other rooms had incredible noise in the morning from construction. The window on one of our guests was near a smoking area. For great the location, we would probably not return to this property.

The closeness to everything

Small rooms and it was very uncomfortable taking a shower in room 606; water splashing every where. Never recommending this place to a family or friend

Sofa-bed in penthouse very uncomfortable with springs coming through.

Just returned from 5 days at Hotel Shocard and planning to return. The Hotel is in a fantastic location just off Times Square. Great access routes by tube or on foot. The staff were all lovely and could not help us enough. We had two rooms one being the penthouse which was amazing. I would have gave a perfect 10 only the sofa-bed was very uncomfortable, the main bed was very comfy. A quick update to that sofa-bed and you'd be achieving perfection. The second room was small and compact but lovely decor and very clean with a very comfy bed. Great cafe/bar which did lovely breakfasts, I didn't try the dinner menu but looked good. I will definitely return.

• Queen Room

Great property. The rooms were on the small side, but the use of space was amazing. Very quiet for the proximity to time square.

The staff was amazing. Carmen was awesome! A Stones throw from the port authority. A lot of Scranton's within walking distance.

• King Suite with Balcony

Sofa-bed in penthouse very uncomfortable with springs coming through.

The room was kind of small, but we expected that because the description was accurate.

Really cool hotel to stay at, near Times Square. Perfect location. Staff was friendly and accommodating, the room was nice, WiFi was working fine, as well as the heating (we were there during one of the recent storms).

• Queen Room

Our room was next to a construction site and the ac was super noisy. In addittion you might need a phd degree to operate the shower

One of the best location for touristic tours and the bed was super compertable

Everyrhing is good

It's a amazing place! I Will stay there in the next trips. The location os Perfect, que bedroom is so confortable and clean and everybody in this hotel is so polite! My husband and I loved.

• Queen Room

There's nothing I didn't like about the Shocard.

The entire staff provided exceptional service. Carmen & Lloyd went out of their way to make my stay memorable. I loved everything about the Shocard.

I was expecting the room to be a little bigger, but as I was mostly out exploring New York City, it was not a problem.

Although the room was small, it was very comfortable and kept tidy by room service. The location was amazing, right across from 42nd street TimeSq station, or down the road from the port authority bus terminal. You won't find a more affordable place with this level of cleanliness in this area.

Hot water very temperamental. None at all when we arrived and then only enough for one shower the first morning. But improved after that.

Beds were comfy and location was fantastic.

• Queen Room

We had trouble setting the air con.

Very helpful and nice staff. Very good location (just a 2minute walk from Times Square, close to the subway).Clean room.

• Queen Room

this hotel looks really so so. the room is really small. the person who working in the hotel and talked to me really do not know how to speak English well.

Construction behind hotel

Very nice boutique hotel. Excellent location and accessible to Times Square, subway and not too far from Penn Station. It is a 7 story hotel and we had a room on 7th floor. King bed, sofa and chair setup provided plenty of leisure room. Bathroom was large. Patio was huge and nice patio furniture, unfortunately too cold to enjoy .

• Queen Room - Disability Access

Waiting for them to clean our room

There was nail clippings as well as hair in the bathroom and shower. This will not suffice. We could not use the facilities as we had to wait several hours after travelling for a long period of time. I am requesting a monetary compensation at this time.

• Queen Room

If I was picking no view just a brick wall and the room was a touch on the small side plus we had to leave at 5am to early morning start at 4 and the shower wouldn’t work but only on that day. All in all though this wouldn’t stop me from staying here again, great place to set up camp 👍🏻

Very helpful and friendly staff just a great say

• Queen Room

There was an issue with hot water in some of the rooms, including our original room and the first room that we were subsequently moved into. However, staff was friendly and accommodating as possible in working to resolve the situation.

Location is GREAT, rooms were clean and modern, and the attached restaurant has decent food.

For me it was the ideal location for a one night stay. Situated on Broadway / Times Square perfect for some fast NYC experience. As most down town hotels not very spacious but very clean. Friendly and helpful staff. I would certainly come back next time I visit NYC.

• Queen Room

For some reason, our water tap takes a loooong time to warm up. It constantly lost hot water, and we had to let the water run for at least 5 min to wait for hot water coming. No hairdryer.

This hotel has a great location: only 1 or 2 blocks away from subways, 1 or 2 blocks away from Times square and broadway theaters. Staffs are friendly. Our room is sufficient for me and my boyfriend, and it is clean. Quiet at night despite living in the heart of New York!

Room was a bit small but the very high ceiling made it not seem so bad. Mini fridge would have been nice but not a big deal

The location was perfect, friendly, helpful staff, very clean room with good shower and comfortable bed

• Queen Room

The room may be a bit noisy for someone who is used to absolute silence during the night. But hey, you stay just a few steps from the "center of the world"!

The location could not be better, Times Square subway station is just across the street. The staff is helpful and friendly. The whole place is clean and tidy.

• Queen Room

There was a construction site besides the hotel. A little noisy, but its not the hotel's fault and didn't bothered us. The size of the room is ok (not big, we thought it was fine for a couple).

The location is perfect: right in front of a Subway station (with 3 different lines) and 1 block away from Times Square. The staff is amazing as well, in special Carmen and Whitney - they are adorable and very kind! The guys were awesome too. BTW, what a nice surprise to see our names in the panel above the entrance! :)

• Queen Room

The noise from the building work at the back of the hotel was ridiculous. I was there to work it was not possible to work in the hotel. We also had to keep asking from extra tea and towels, not a major problem but would have been nice if these things were already sorted without having to request them.

The location was fab just round the corner from Times Square. The price of the hotel was fair considering the location.

The room was very small with very little sunlight. Had to adjust shower water a long time every shower to try and find the hot water.

The location was great and the staff friendly and helpful.

The rooms where small

The staff were exceptional, Alex and Carmen at the front desk, are the best people in the world, very accommodating and Carmen always had a hug and a cupcake ready for my 9 year old son. The location was fantastic and the price is very reasonable compared to other hotels in the area, it saved me alot of money, because we were literally in the heart of Times square and didn't really need to use cabs. The wifi was excellent and free. The rooms are small but very comfortable and the bathrooms are cute and very clean. I would. definitely recommend staying at this hotel. A+ all through.

Only that it was small but that is New York and it was perfectly fine for me. The room was dark as no outside window but I was hardly there, so didn't matter.

Loved the eclectic nature of the place, the staff were amazing, the room small but room for everything. You literally stepped outside and were in the thick of New York. I will stay there again in a heart beat!

• Queen Room

There was construction work going on right outside our room. Although we were on the 6th floor it was still very loud and they would start very early. I didn't mind the outside noise such as honking as such since we were very close to time square, but the construction noise was bothersome. Our sheets were dirty when we arrived and never changed throughout our visit. The rest of our room was pretty clean.

The staff was friendly and the hotel is very close to times square.

• Queen Room - Disability Access

The glass bathroom door was a little awkward for people sharing a room who are not “ together”. But nit a major issue

The location was excellent and the staff friendly.

There was no window in the room and it wasn't described in hotel page, heater was too loud; it was impossible to sleep. I had to close the heater in a winter day in order to sleep. I was in shock. Internet was gone for 8 hours and funny thing is I had a special note to hotel that I will need good internet connection. But it was completely gone. Contacted to booking.com next day and they informed me they will solve my problem within 7 days. My trip to New York was 4 days. Great customer service! 4 days in a cold, windowless room were really fun! Hotel staff was friendly and helpful but they told me every other room in their hotel was the same and apparently false advertisement and bad booking.com service were not really their fault. This trip was a total scam. And today I receive an e-mail that I was happy with my second room. I laughed irl, thank you very much.

...

The bathroom is a little weird at first. The toilet is literally right against the shower, and the shower is half open. I didn't want to splash water everywhere, I felt like that would be crude. It kept banging my left shoulder against the shower when I wanted to use the bathroom. I will also mention my window opened right into a brick wall, but I literally only needed this place to sleep - that might matter more for those who want a scenic view.

Exceptionally friendly and accommodating staff, they will quite literally do whatever they can to make something better. From upgrades, to breakfast, snacks and other random, unsolicited acts of kindness. The location is also unbeatable - right on 41st. Not far from the subway as well as a Walgreen, the Post Office, Whole Foods, H&M and LOFT. Just about anything you could need is right around the corner.

The only point I would make is that it was difficult to regulate the temperature in the shower, either too hot or too cold.

Very quiet considering the location. Perfect stay. The room was fresh and very clean and bed very comfortable.

• Queen Room

Payment locked without my previous knowledge. Having no view from the window was a bit disappointing. It took a really long time for the water in the shower to heat up.

Great stay. Small room, but enough for two. Excellent location!! Helpful staff. We were offered some champagne because we had spent New Year's Eve on the airplane.

Tiny room, but great value for money in the heart of New York.

Very helpful and friendly staff, great location, well-equipped rooms, nice shower. 3 minute walk to the port authority bus terminal. Lots of subway stations all around.

Very small room and the mattress was way too soft, and /or needed to be replaced.

Price and location are excellent. I don’t go to NYC to stay in my room — it’s for sleeping and dressing only. This hotel has a fabulous location. Walking distance to everything we were there for.

• Queen Room

The rooms are smaller than they look in photos. They are literally tiny. A bottle of water everyday for the guests would be great. Once i asked for 2 bottles of water for the room and was told we ran out of water.

The staff was really nice. Offered us free champagne at check in and helped us mostly when we needed it.

• Queen Room - Disability Access

The only thing I didn't like is that we couldn't stay longer.

The hotel property was great! It's located right in Times Square which is easy access to everything. Carmen assisted me with my booking and she was phenomenal. She is the true example of what it means to provide, service with a smile. We definitely will be staying at this property again when we visit NYC.

• Queen Room

Commit to turning the water to hot...and wait!

Would totally stay here again! The Location can't be beat for theatre. Room was tiny, but it's an affordable price in the heart of Manhattan - what did you expect? And the staff was simply an A+. Bravo!

• Queen Room

The shower should have a door.. When we take bath, the whole bathroon got wet. The room was good but very small.

The Hotel is just near Times Square. We could see the ball at New Year's Eve as we were at that hotel. The staff is fantastic! The room is clean, confortable and Wi-Fi excellent.

Browse Hotel Shocard, New York traveller photo gallery