Reviews of 414 Hotel 3 stars

9.7

9.9

9.7

• Classic Queen Room

We have stayed in the second building. First we have got room 205 : no natural light at all and really bad carpet smell. Then we have changed the room to 306, first floor: dark room, A/C noise in the bathroom from the next building during all nights (we stayed 6 nights). Bad carpet smell on the stairs. Breakfast is totally irrelevant.

Nice staff, very good location, just 10 minutes walking to Times Square. Quiet neighbourhood.

• Classic Queen Room

This isn't a hotel, it's a lovely little house, with a lot of character and charm and it's in a fantastic location and the staff, especially Emmy and Ashley were great, so helpful and always with a smile. The happy hour is a wonderful extra. Breakfast is just average.

• Classic Queen Room

Hmmmm. Well, if you have trouble walking at all, you should know that there are no elevators. Otherwise? Can't think of a thing.

I felt very fortunate to have found this cozy little hotel on a leafy side street in Manhattan. No wonder it is so highly rated. This is not a luxury hotel. It is a perfect hotel for travelers (especially theatre goers) who want a friendly, comfortable, clean & easy-access, affordable place staffed by lovely people who really know the city! if you want luxury and snooty, go elsewhere. I loved it and will definitely return! A++++++++

• Classic Queen Room

Front room facing street can be a little noisy at times.

Great staff, - very friendly and exceptionally helpful. Really comfortable room, clean and spacious. Fabulous location.

• Premium Queen Room

Nothing could have been better.

The 414 was worth our splurge - the staff was so friendly and informative. I woke up each morning to the yummy smell of good coffee wafting up 4 floors - complimentary continental breakfast and afternoon happy hour were icing on the cake. This is a wonderful little hotel - close to theaters, Time Square, etc. but tucked away in a lovely, mostly residential, street. Hoping to get back to NYC one day and will definitely stay here again.

• Classic Queen Room

Sorry but I would redo the lobby area using the reclaimed wood table you have and adding other smaller reclaimed wood tables with appropriate chairs. I felt the furniture was too out doors type. With the great fireplace you could create a nice space.

All the people working there were extremely helpful and pleasant. They answered questions and were always positive.

• Premium Queen Room

We were on the fourth floor and there is no elevator. So, good exercise, but something to consider if you have mobility issues.

This is just a charming little hotel in the theatre district. Great staff -- very accommodating and friendly. Room was just what we needed.

• Premium Queen Room

I had to open the window to make the temperature comfortable. Easily fixed, though, so I wasn't too troubled by it. I was also on the first floor.

The concierge was wonderful, and the bathroom was bigger than the one I have at home.

• Classic Queen Room

The air conditioning could have been better

Excellent location, nice wine bar every afternoon, breakfast very adequate. The staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Premium Queen Room

We loved everything about our stay at 414 Hotel. The staff was amazing and always there to help with suggestions on everything. Loved the happy hour where we met people from all around the world. The location is amazing with a short walk to restUrants and sites.

- Décor & fittings in back rooms a little dated

- Very friendly, helpful & courteous staff. - Great location: 10 mins walk to Times Square, but on a quiet, low-key street - Super quiet in back rooms - Nice breakfast and the social hour is a lovely bonus if you are back at the hotel by 6ish

• Premiere King Room

I would have liked a coffee pot in my room.

Emmy was awesome! This was our first time staying at a Boutique hotel in NY and it was great. We will definitely do it again. It had a very European feel and the staff was so nice. The location of the 414 Hotel is perfect. Walking distance to so much.

• Classic Queen Room

On arrival I was undercharged for one nights stay. These things happen,human error etc,totally understandable but I wasn't made aware of this until I was leaving at checkout.Luckily I had enough money left to sort it but I would have preferred to be aware of this earlier in my stay as I may have budgeted differently had I known.

Staff were brilliant,always helpful and available if needed. Pleasant and efficient.Bed was super comfy and lovely large bathroom. House keeping was to a very high standard.Beautiful log fire in the lobby was very welcoming on arrival back from bitterly cold weather!

• Premium Queen Room

I expected this boutique hotel to have a little more charm and a little more in the way of facilities given that it is in the same price range as many hotels in the area with a lot more amenities. This was a rather basic b and b experience. The exterior appearance leads one to believe that the interior will be just as charming. But it is not.

Friendly welcome by very pleasant staff. Good location.

• Premiere King Room

There were a few things that weren't working in my room. They fixed most of them but my phone never worked. My room was located in the back on the bottom floor. Next time I will request a room on the second floor or higher. This room was a little too damp.

I chose this place because it was located across the street from where my son lives and I loved the location. Overall it was great. I especially loved the staff. The room was clean and they were attentive to all my requests.

• Classic Queen Room

The water pressure was weak in shower.

The location was great,close to Times Square, a 7 min walk to Intrepid. There was a parking garage around the corner. The breakfast in morning was good-cereal,yogurt,bagels,etc. there was a social hour at night from 5;30-7,With cheese,crackers,wine. The staff were great-very helpful.

• Premium Queen Room

could not control the radiator, and it got too hot at night parking was difficult

social hour was fun Staff was very friendly and helpful good location

• Premiere King Room

Need a sign on the door of room 104 warning that there is a step down when entering the room.

The front desk staff gave us the best advice. I loved how close we were to the subway, the theaters, and it was lovely coming back to the fire in the fireplace after a child, rainy day. We were beyond happy with our choice to stay here. We also stayed in room 104 which had the patio right outside our door. Great little Greek bakery, Poseidon Bakery around the corner on 9th. Loved it. Loved going into the little deli's.

• Premium Queen Room

We loved our stay! It was my Christmas present to my mom for a 3 day trip to NYC. We loved the 414, the breaky, the accommodations, the help for arranging a car back to jfk, the staff. We will be back. Thank you

• Classic Twin Room

We loved everything!

The staff were so welcoming and accommodating! After seeing the show, I was greeted with a glass of red wine, and my daughter a cup of hot chocolate. They treated us like family - I will never stay at a large chain hotel again! The linens and comforter were incredible. Crisp white cotton duvet over fluffy european down. The beds were heaven to "home" to!

• Premium Queen Room

Rooms small as was bathroom. Pretty basic

Great location near theaters, very friendly and helpful staff, nice touches like breakfast/wine and cheese in afternoon. They really make an effort

• Classic Queen Room

The security mechanism on the door required a person inside to operate, which required me to wait in the rain for a few minutes at one time. There is no elevator in the property and the stairs are narrow and steep.

Free coffee, tea, and pastries throughout the day. The quality of the soap and shampoo. The location is in Hell's Kitchen. The public space was well arranged, warm, and clean. The shower had very hot water.

• Classic King Room

No comment because I enjoyed everything.

I have stayed at more upmarket hotels in New York but staying at the 414 Hotel with my children, I felt that we received a genuine New York experience from a hotel team that treated us more like family and friends.

• Premium Queen Room

Would have liked a kettle in the room

The staff were amazingly helpful, comfy bed, quiet room, great breakfast selections. All in all a charming little bolt hole

• Classic Twin Room

I loved the personal attention, the staff seems to LOVE to help. I asked for info on a car to the airport for our return trip and they did it all FOR me. I just expected a number and a suggestion on who to use. The morning newsletter was so cute and the suggestions for activities were unique and interesting. Everything was lovely.

• Classic Queen Room

The bed was very comfortable. The rooms were clean. The breakfast bar wasn't anything amazing however, I was nice to grab something and go! Overall, it was an excellent place. I would stay there again.

• Premium Queen Room

Rooms are cute but simple. No elevator.

Staff made an effort to remember details such as what shows we were seeing, and then ask about it later. They helped us with recommendations for restaurants and logistics as well.

• Premium Queen Room

Only a few things really because overall a good experience. But ..Building works next door banging continuously . ( not the hotels fault .. but still annoying ) One day our room wasn’t serviced . The patrons upstairs were heavy on there feet morning and night .. lots of banging noises .

Great location close to broadway and times square . Staff very friendly and helped you plan your itinerary . Emmie and Jaque particularly helpful . Happy hour a very nice concept and promoted sharing of experiences between customers . Good recommendations is restaurants bars sites to seen

• Classic Queen Room

The room is a bit small but well set up and a great value.

Jacqui, the manager, is fabulous. She goes out of her way to help and could not be nicer. The entire ambiance is excellent. Loved the Jura machine for great espresso and cappuccino. Excellent breakfast, and terrific happy hour with wine, bourbon, gin, cheese. This is a place that treats employees well and has room cleaners who have been with them for 15 years. This is wonderful place to stay as long as you don't want glitz.

Couldn't flaw anything.

We booked the hotel as a last minute booking as we had been booked into a vile Hotel on Time Square by our travel agent. The reviews of this Hotel influenced our decision and our expectations were surpassed by not only their premises, location and staff. Booking this place is a no brainer.

• Classic Queen Room

Everything was fine. Can't think of a negative thing. (maybe the stairs)

Good location. Lots of restaurants close by and very friendly staff members. Would stay there again.

• Classic Queen Room

Very warm and welcoming. Staff is super helpful with anything you need. Printed my boarding passes and gave us a later check out. If you are looking for a bed and breakfast type place. This is it.

• Premium Queen Room

Great boutique hotel, excellent location walking distance to great restaurants, Broadway and midtown attractions. Fantastic service and assistance from staff. Truly comfortable and hospitable.

• Classic Queen Room

Water was hot but shower heads didn't work properly and tub didn't drain very well. Though we knew there was no elevator, walking up three flights of stairs was rougher then we imagined. I would reserve lower floors and quiet back of hotel if we stayed again.

The location is ideally situated. Bed was comfy. The staff are welcoming, helpful, and very friendly, especially the overnight staff! Loved the morning coffee and newsletter.

• Classic Queen Room

Not for the disabled. Narrow steep steps to my room on the 4th floor. This wasn't a problem for me but I'm sure it would be for some.

Extremely helpful and friendly staff. Clean, well appointed and quiet room. Great location.

• Premium Queen Room

Very friendly and informative staff - very welcoming and we particularly liked the happy hour evenings chatting to other guests. Room was spotlessly clean every day. Perfect place from which to explore Manhattan.

• Classic Queen Room

No elevator to the rooms but we got good exercise!

Staying at the 414 Hotel was amazing! We felt like we were in Paris. Small, quaint, friendly, and very comfortable. It is an old brownstone building that has been tastfully restored. The staff was amazing~personable and extremely helpful with where to go and how to get there! Their complementary breakfasts were delicious and the daily happy hour (wine, whiskey, cheese & crackers) a real treat!! Our next visit to NYC will definitely include the 414!!

• Classic Queen Room

The only downside was the noise from the road at night, and/or early morning, but this was to be expected given the reviews, and was not bad enough to give this hotel a bad review

Exactly as described on it's website - good location close to Times Square, very friendly and knowledgeable staff, decent spread for breakfast

Liked it all

Great place. Warm/friendly staff. Good breakfast. Happy hour drinks and cheeses. Always happy to give suggestions/advice as you plan your day. Loved the cozy street. And the private patio was nice.

• Premiere King Room

I know New York is expensive but this hotel still felt fully priced. The air quality was not great for a sensitive nose like mine, not sure whether it is city air or the enclosed courtyard to which our lower floor room faced.

The staff are remarkably friendly and proactive with tour suggestions. It really felt a home away from home and the happy hour with drinks and nibbles provided opportunity to meet other guests. The location was great and very conveniently located to the 50th Street E train station that runs from JFK (via Sky Train).

• Premium Queen Room

The 414 is an oasis of quiet comfort just a few minutes from the busy-ness of Times Square and the Theatre District. Our room was in the back building and fronted onto a beautiful courtyard. The staff are all very friendly and most helpful with advice and suggestions for your New York adventures. I highly recommend the 414!

• Premium Queen Room

The staff was excellent and the rooms were very clean. They had a free continental breakfast and a delightful happy hour late afternoon. We met people from all over the world staying at this hotel. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. It is small so book early. Only 22 rooms.

• Classic Queen Room

I was on the street side this time, and it was noisy on Friday night from a party next door.

The welcome of the staff. Breakfast and happy hour. Location.

• Premium Queen Room

Loved the hospitality and service, the staff was always available helping us with whatever what was on our minds. Very nice and cozy hotel just a few blocks from Times Square but still in a quiet area! Perfect! Next visit to NYC I'm definitely staying at 414 Hotel again!

• Classic Queen Room

In five days, I thought of just one tiny thing: more decaf/herbal tea choices. Truly, this is the most thoughtful hotel/inn I have ever stayed in.

Best staff ever! They are attentive to every need and dedicated to helping their guests love New York as much as they do. Exceptionally clean, comfortable, safe, and friendly public space and guest rooms. The courtyard with outside seating is delightful. Lovely breakfast, generous happy hours, and terrific coffee.

• Premium Queen Room

It was a walk up, on the fourth floor; no elevator. Not essential, but could have been tricky if there was a lot of luggage.

The friendly staff and the happy hour offered in the main lounge

• Premium Queen Room

The only negative was the noise of the A/C unit. We had no other noise as we were in a courtyard unit.

Everything was great but the customer service and hosted happy hour were particularly nice. The concierge/managers were very knowledgeable. In addition, the common rooms encouraged conversation with other guests.

• Premium Queen Room

Stay was just too short. If you have any problem with the accommodation, then just speak to the staff. We observed them respond to some very minor and guest specific issues - all guests were listened to, taken seriously and acted upon instantly.

The staff are all genuinely friendly and helpful. I would say they definitely helped make our holiday amazing! Nothing was too much trouble, valuable source of local information. Really liked the newsletter. Bed so comfy. No hidden costs - tea, coffee, water available all day. wonderful, thoughtful extras, such as basket of umbrellas at the door in case of need etc. Location is great for restaurants, theatre, public transport etc. Honestly can't think of a better place.

• Classic Queen Room

Our room was too small and in a poor location, on a corridor used by many other guests to reach the rear building. The staff did address our concerns but as the hotel was full, we had to stay in the unsuitable room. They did offer to move us to another hotel, but we were only there for three nights and had too many things planned to re-pack and move. We were disappointed as we had booked 9 months in advance.

Good location, great breakfast, helpful staff.

• Premium Queen Room

Spent a wonderful week with the overly friendly and charming team at Hotel 414. The way they organize breakfast and the great evening starters made it very easy to get in contact with other guests and the hotel team.

• Reviewed: 10 May 2017

• Premiere King Room

This was the most friendly hotel we've ever stayed in. The owner and staff were exceptionally helpful and the cheese and wine provided an excellent chance to share experiences with fellow-guests and staff. An ideal hotel for the first time visitor to NY, especially if on their own.

• Premiere King Room

Need to have more dishes, cups etc. for breakfast to accommodate the number of guests that are staying at the hotel.

The location was great, very central. Staff very friendly.

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

• Classic Queen Room

could hear contant noise during night from the outside vents of air condition in courtyard,but got used to it after a few days

very friendly and helpful and would do their upmost to make their visitors stay a very enjoyable experience

• Reviewed: 13 February 2017

• Premiere King Room

This is the perfect retreat for your soul around the corner from Time Square. Inwould recommend it to business travelers as well as to students. It's a bit pricy though, but worth it.

• Reviewed: 12 January 2017

• Classic Queen Room

A second stay at this exceptional hotel. The two things that make it a stand-out are (i) the location (a short walk from Times Square, and most things you want to do walkable); and (ii) Susan and her excellent staff, who really make this a home-from-home . It's not a luxury hotel and doesn't aim to be - just very friendly and very homely. If we're back in Manhattan, this is where we shall stay, and so should you if you like the sound of this review.

• Premium Queen Room

Even if we didn't really use it, a better TV would be good (the image was pretty bad on few channels).

Le personnel est incroyable! Ils sont d'une gentillesse incommensurable et sont très attentifs, festifs et de bons conseils! The hotel staff is incredible and made our stay even better than just a trip to NYC (which is already something big). They gave great advises and they were fun and cared about our stay being as good as possible. Never had such an experience with a hotel staff. If you have the message, I want to thank you again to have made our stay soooo great!

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

• Classic Queen Room

it was a great place to stay.Happy hour was great especially talking to other traverllers.Big thankyou to jacki helping my wife find a dentist.To rest of staff thankyou very much.

• Reviewed: 2 December 2016

• Classic Queen Room

Really great, quite quirky place... very clean, lovely staff, happy hour is a great way to meet people - great recommendations to eat and a fab location

• Reviewed: 15 November 2016

• Classic Queen Room

Our room faced the front street and despite double glazing it was noisy at times (ear plugs thoughtfully provided in room). New York is a city that does not sleep at times after all!

Friendly boutique hotel in central location. Cosy breakfasts with guests chatting and sharing experiences at breakfast and happy hour. Comfortable room with more space than I expected. Each morning a one sheet news letter with weather, current attractions that were open or shut, site seeing options, travel tips for getting around. All staff were extremely helpful and able to give helpful information. I would recommend this Hotel over a larger prestigious one. A hidden diamond in Hells Kitchen.

• Reviewed: 10 November 2016

• Classic Queen Room

Really not much to fault, the only down for me was it's a few blocks from the nearest subway.

What a great boutique hotel. We stayed at 414 Hotel leading into the New York Marathon and couldn't have been happier with our decision. The owners and staff were fantastic as were all he other guests. Being a small hotel with a communal eating area meant you got to mingle with guests, hear and share stories. There is happy hour cheese and wine each night in the small foyer and everyone is made to feel welcome by guests and staff. This in particular was great with the marathon coming up as we got to meet other runners before and after the event. The provided breakfast while relatively basic provided a good start to the day and they had a small coffee machine which made surprisingly good coffee it you aren't a fan of standard US coffee.

• Reviewed: 6 November 2016

• Classic Queen Room

Street noise late evening as we were in street facing room but didn't trouble us through the night.

Staff were great and really friendly and helpful. Loved the Happy Hour when free heese and wine laid out for guests to mingle and chat.. Great to be able to make a hot drink in the kitchen when I got in at night.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

Nothing. It was superb.

Wonderfully welcoming and helpful manager and staff. They gave us tips and suggested itineraries that proved to be most enjoyable. In addition, they offered free happy hour wine and cheese each evening allowing guests to exchange ideas and suggestions. It created a family feeling, very different from most impersonal hotels. The location is great, the subway is a few blocks away and there are hundreds of restaurants and bars within a few minutes walk. The room was spacious, clean and had air conditioning.

• Reviewed: 25 September 2016

• Premium Queen Room

A bit pricey, like all of New York during the week of the general assembly

Roomy and with a courtyard you can actually comfortably sit in. Warm welcome and lots of nice touches like the basket of snacks at 1$ each using an honour system for payment. Susan and her team go out of their way to make guests feel at home.

• Reviewed: 19 September 2016

• Classic Queen Room

Apart from minor problem with swipe card to room nothing that was not quickly fixed.

Susan and staff so friendly and helpful.Like staying with friends and great location. Happy hour a great bonus.

• Reviewed: 13 September 2016

• Classic Queen Room

The room was very comfortable and quiet. Staff was amazing,super friendly and helpful. The hotel was very original and charming, felt like home. Would definitely recommend it and visit it again!

• Reviewed: 8 September 2016

• Classic Queen Room

The staff were all welcoming and extremely helpful. Susan (the owner) was exceptional - nothing was too much trouble. There was a "happy hour" with complimentary wine and snacks every night which Susan hosted. Our room was surprisingly quiet and located on a leafy street, yet only a block's walk and you are right in the heart of the hustle and bustle that is New York!

Myself and my 7 yo absolutely loved it

It was like going home. The staff were absolutely amazing and the rooms just perfect. Can't wait to book our next trip here!

• Reviewed: 1 September 2016

Don t change anythinks

It s not à hôtel it s a familly house You are not guest You are a familly menbers All of the hôtel staff is to help You has to discover the City Each Day a after hours with all guest : happy meetings and fortunate discoveries Great location near Manhattan Wonderfull and warm thanks I ll be back with enjoy Julie/eric

• Reviewed: 17 August 2016

• Classic Queen Room

There is no elevator. It didn't bother me, but it may make it cumbersome for some people. It is some exercise though!

Friendly staff make you feel like a member of the family when you join them for a few nights. It really felt like a b and b more than a hotel. It's a great value for the money in NYC and the location is really great.

• Reviewed: 31 July 2016

Nothing to dislike!

Everything was really excellent. Having wine and cheese in the reception area every afternoon is a brilliant idea and through this, we met up with our fellow guests and made so many new friends. The location of the 414 Hotel in New York is very central and only a couple of blocks from Times Square. All of the Hotel's staff were so friendly and helpful and made us feel so welcome throughout our stay.

• Reviewed: 11 July 2016

• Classic Queen Room

Was hard to regulate the air conditioning temperature, in our room, as it is an older building and had a window air conditioner, placed next to the bed, due to necessity for fire escape access. However, this was a minor problem that would definitely not deter us, from staying here again based upon the overall value, quiet location and easy access to Javits Center, a myriad of restaurants, and Broadway Shows.

The Staff was extremely helpful. Nice, friendly people with interesting cultural backgrounds who went way out of their way to assist us with everything we needed.

• Reviewed: 30 June 2016

• Classic Queen Room

Not that it would stop me from coming back but I wish the air worked a little better. We are both hot natured and it didn't seem to stay as cool as we would have liked.

Loved the quaintness of the facility. Very homey feeling. Loved the location to everything. Staff was very helpful!

• Reviewed: 30 June 2016

• Classic Queen Room

In every aspect this Hotel was exceptional. I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone seeking a Boutique style hotel within New York. The owners and staff were extremely considerate and helpful, making this a truly happy and memorable visit.

• Reviewed: 29 June 2016

• Classic Queen Room

I love it all!! The staff was really helpful and it felt as if we already knew them, like old friends. We met new friends over the breakfast table and we had a nice chat over the "before dinner glass of wine" served.

No elevators.

Friendly staff. Convenient to go shopping and eat. You might feel as if you are living in an apartment in Manhattan.

Browse 414 Hotel traveller photo gallery