Reviews of The Inn on Ferry Street 4 stars

84 East Ferry Street, Detroit, 48202, USA

#1 of 22 hotels in Detroit

• Queen Deluxe Room

No problem for us, but would check which floor you are staying on if you mind taking your suitcases up the stairs (we had no elevator in our building). Also, we had to cover the crack under the door to the room to keep the light of the hallway out.

Location is great! Just around the corner of many museums and places to eat. Felt really safe. Parking (free!) was very easy. Breakfast was amazing.

• Queen Deluxe Room

Noisy air-conditioning in room (we turned it off as no need to use it).

Great concept to restore / keep up town-houses from the turn of the century. Pleasant location, close to the museums, a short walk to QLine, secured off-street parking. Superb breakfast - hot and cold, even gluten-free products available, and with none-disposable plates/bowls/cups.

• Queen Deluxe Room

We loved The Inn on Ferry Street. So much history and character. Super friendly staff, especially the shuttle drivers. The shuttle service is excellent. Great breakfast, clean and comfortable rooms. I would definately stay there again.

• Queen Deluxe Room

I loved the beautiful artwork the staff are very friendly the breakfast was great and the shuttle takes you everywhere within a 5 mile radius. It is very close to many attractions and dining. It’s a very quiet atmosphere. The rooms were clean and beautifully decorated. This is the only place I will stay while visiting Detroit

• Queen Deluxe Room

- So many stairs to our room hahaha...but that is what you should expect at a Victorian home :) If you have issues, request lower floor room!

- Breakfast was great - Helpful and friendly staff - Clean - Free shuttle within 5 mi radius - Comfy bed - A few restaurants walking distance + gas station - Right next to QLine, which goes downtown

• Queen Deluxe Room

The desk staff weren't particularly friendly; they were helpful but just not that cheery. I wish the Inn offered some sort of fitness opportunity: even a single treadmill would be better than nothing. They have what they call a reciprocal agreement with a gym a mile away, but guests have to pay to use it.

The breakfast was very good, although the space where it's served is rather cramped. The free shuttle service is a big plus, and the driver (Jonathon, I think) was terrific.

One of the worst hotel mattresses I've ever "slept" on

Amazing, fresh, home cooked breakfasts with fabulous coffee. Lovely staff. Beautiful old buildings with lovely decor. Location

• Queen Deluxe Room

Waited once for an hour for the shuttle pick up after being awake for over 36hours, (we felt the driver may not have received the message), otherwise, the shuttle service was outstanding ------friendly, professional and prompt

Super Friendly staff We reserved one bed, but we were pleasantly surprised when we walked in to two rooms, private porch, spacious bathroom, and shared parlor area. The main house was lovely, providing comfortable seating, delicious buffet breakfast which included quiche, fresh fruit, and so much more. A mix of grandmas house and old world charm. The complimentary shuttle service w/in 5 mile radius allowed us easy access to downtown

• Queen Deluxe Room

kept banging my knee into the wooden platform for the bed. It juts out. A poison dart I believe they call it in Feng Shway(sp):). I believe I left my slippers in the room. I left a message with housekeeping. I never heard back.

• Queen Deluxe Room

On previous stays, I could make waffles. That was not available on this visit. Having said that, I did not ask staff about the possibility.

Breakfast was fine. Eggs, yogurt, fruit, breads, muffins,....

• Queen Deluxe Room

It is the perfect spot for a couple. The bed is super comfortable, breakfast is excellent, rooms are clean and people friendly. Moreover, the location is very cute and the shuttle service is working very well. Totally worth it.

• Queen Deluxe Room

I failed to understand the airconditioning, control seemed broken. Sometimes it was very warm, sometimes too cold. Noise from neighboring room. I was here on a Monday: good to know, the museums and many restaurants are closed on that day.

Original old villa set up. OK in quality. Free parking.

• Queen Deluxe Room

The parking lot behind the hotel was full when we arrived, even though we had reserved a week before and I had indicated we were coming with a car. We ended up parking on the street right in front of the main building (for free) - it all went well, but it felt less safe.

Gorgeous rooms in beautiful renovated houses. The neighbourhood felt safe and quiet (it’s near a University so I guess most of the students weren’t around) and the QLine stops right down the street. And then the breakfast. Amazing!! Lots of fresh fruit, fresh waffles, coffee to go if desired, best breakfast I’ve ever seen. Easily one of the best hotels I’ve ever been.

• Queen Deluxe Room

Small complaint..the chair to desk/table needed to be able to push under desk (out of the way)to give a bit more walk around bed space.

From the moment we arrived till the moment we had to leave there was a total Welcome feeling. We loved the view from our carriage house room. Having your own van service was such a plus. The historical fact book on the Inn was a lovely read. Just everything.The staff were SO sweet. The breakfast presentation and setting lovely..And the SCONES!!! Best Ever!!! Wish our visit had been a few weeks later..I noticed all the daffodils, tulips and crocus flowers coming up..(Bet it's gorgeous)Snow was fun though for us Floridians We laughed at the fact That we were back in Detroit to begin with (Woodward Dream Cruise 2015 was last visit) but when you're car crazy..what better city to see them (Autorama this trip)!!! Should we EVER come again this will definitely be where we'll stay.

• Queen Deluxe Room

Outlets in room need to be tighter. Charger from phone wouldn’t stay in wall in several locations.

Customer Service was amazing! Jonathan is a rock-star. Would most definitely stay here again!

• Queen Deluxe Room

Not something that bothered us but something to keep in mind - these are old buildings and therefore, not soundproofed the way a newer hotel/facility would be. We could easily hear doors opening/closing and plumbing and footsteps from the upper floors.

We enjoyed our stay at the Inn on Ferry Street immensely. The property is extremely well-kept and clean while maintaining its old-fashioned charm. We stayed in a Queen Suite, which was fantastic and provided tons of space and amenities. The breakfast spread offered many options for a variety of tastes - from eggs and toast to fruit, yogurt, and freshly-baked pastries. The free shuttle was a nice perk that we used on multiple occasions - very easy to arrange.

• Queen Deluxe Room

We weren't sure how to get in! The Inn is spread over several adjacent houses - and it was not exactly clear where reception was. We had to 'phone to ask where the main desk was.

The way that the historical character of the different houses has been kept, whilst making sure that the rooms are comfortable, clean and well equipped is really great!

• Queen Deluxe Room

The shower didnt get very hot, but was serviceable. Would've liked to see the other houses. Thought access to the gym was included in price. Access to a fridge would've been nice.

The bed was extremely comfortable, housekeeping was friendly and courteous. The breakfast was great. Fast reliable wifi

• Queen Deluxe Room

Because the buildings of the hotel are old they are quite noisy. I could hear every step my upstaira neigbours took. Also the shower wasn’t very warm and not much water came out of it, which meant I was often very cold.

The staff was exceptional and super friendly. They upgraded me to an even nicer room which was great. Great that they had free bicycles - a great way to explore Belle Isle and downtown Detroit. The free shuttle service is also very convenient.

• Queen Deluxe Room

The rooms are big and spacious, the beds are incredibly comfortable, the staff is friendly and willing to help with whatever request you might have. The location can't be beat, and the breakfast in the morning was tasty and filling. This place is fabulous.

• Queen Deluxe Room

The only upgrade I would've liked, and I understand it's an older building. Some sort of Jacuzzi or bathtub. Not possible there but would be the only amenity I felt was lacking

Every staff member I came into contact with not only greeted me, but smiled and made me feel really welcomed. I lost track of time and received a call from Derek about checking out(because I was late) . He was very understanding and so was the young lady cleaning the rooms(sorry no name- attractive black woman with long braids). That kind of customer service is tough to come by. Thank you!

See above. The fitness center is not associated with or on the site of the Inn and costs. This was not clear from the booking.com site

The separation of the building means you have to go outside to get to breakfast. Renovation was a bit quirky -- bathroom was next to the bed outside the toilet; bad lighting and a dark shower curtain meant a very grim shower.

• Queen Deluxe Room

We relied on the Q-LINE for transportation and it failed miserably, horrible! Should have used shuttle. No fridge or ice available was only negative aspect

We went there for the historic ambiance and was not disappointed. Rooms were very clean and well furnished, and actually very quiet even though capacity was full. The breakfast was simple yet outstanding

• Queen Deluxe Room

The property was a little cold in the bedroom/bathroom.

Between the beauty of the inn, and how helpful the staff was, I would love to stay here again. Also breakfast was amazing. Craig who drove the shuttle bus was extremely pleasant too, very easy to work with and a great driver.

• Queen Deluxe Room

I was under the impression that each room came with one parking space in the private lot per room, but that was not the case for us. Either they don't have enough spaces for one per room, or some rooms had more than they were supposed to. When I spoke with the front desk inquiring where we should park, he said the street is fine and that he would call our room if he saw that something opened up (never happened). He was very kind and professional, but it rubbed me the wrong way that it seemed some guests were being allowed more parking and therefore squeezing us out of a service we were promised. Breakfast was another issue. It was very tasty, and the service and options were great; however, there was not enough space to move between the food stations, and my husband and I ended up eating with our knees to our chests at a coffee table because there weren't any available places to sit. Once we were about done eating, we overheard an employee telling other guests that there was additional seating upstairs. That would have been nice for us to know as well.

The bed was comfy, and the space heater was a welcomed addition. We liked our room a lot.

• Queen Deluxe Room

It was great. Friendly staff with more of a B&B feel with the perks of hotel life. We loved the free shuttle and used it numerous times within the day.

• Queen Deluxe Room

More gluten free options for breakfast breads and less sweetened pastries would be helpful.

Friendly, helpful, efficient. The room was wonderful. Lovely warm atmosphere. The breakfast are presented with care thoughtfulness and the eggs, quiche and fresh berries are a welcome treat. There’s plenty of breakfast items to choose from.

• Queen Deluxe Room

Really wonderful historical place. Beautiful room. Good breakfast. It is an old historical place so it does not have the most modern furniture and the sound isolation is not great, but I wouldn't dare to put that as a negative, because it is part of the experience.

• Queen Deluxe Room

Our room was in the attic so lots of stairs. Good excersize but difficult with luggage.

Charming, spacious suite in grand Victorian mansion. Comfortable, clean and beautifully decorated. Delicious cookies and boxed water in the room upon arrival was a nice touch. Healthy breakfast options available in the morning. We especially found the shuttle service anywhere within a five mile radius very convenient.

All good

The Inn on Ferry street was an absolute pleasure from start to finish. From the beautiful buildings to the well appointed rooms and the lovely breakfast and lounge area, it was all great. Will definitely be back

• Queen Deluxe Room

The Inn on Ferry Street is one more good reason to visit Detroit. The QLine street car is 1/2 a block away so it's easy to get to downtown and the sports facilities. The Art Institute and the Detroit History Museum are an easy walk. The rooms are lovely and the common room libraries are well stocked. The food is good and the staff is wonderful!

• Queen Deluxe Room

In keeping with the atmosphere of the Inn, furnishings were antique-themed which made the height of the beds difficult for a shorter/older person. There are a lot of stairs. Make sure you let them know if you need a first floor or ground floor room.

This inn was a wonderful surprise. It consists of four mansions and a carriage house, all of which have been beautifully restored. The rooms all have a private full bath and individual charm and are scrupulously clean. Make sure you leave time for breakfast - homemade coffee cake, eggs, quiche and lots of fresh fruit, so say nothing of multiple juice and coffee selections. The Inn is located right in the middle of the Detroit museums, the mid-town restaurant scene and the Wayne State campus. It couldn't be more convenient if you have a function there. The staff is all very helpful and their shuttle will take you anywhere within a five mile range free of charge. If you'd prefer, the Inn is located half a block from the Ferry Street stop on the Q-line, which takes you downtown or to the train station.

• Queen Deluxe Room

There isn't enough parking to support a full compliment of guests. There is no microwave/refrigerator in the rooms. The stairs and front doors to the buildings are quite loud and can be an issue for light sleepers.

The location is close to downtown, midtown, mexicotown, making it easy to get to where you need to be. The historic buildings are beautiful and well maintained.

• Queen Deluxe Room

Staff. No hello, no communication. "Just another day at the office". At breakfast staff actually walked away to avoid. Cleaning staff ignored and kept on iphone. Atmosphere was grey and unwelcoming as a result, not the 'inn' style, personal envelope you might expect.

Breakfast, location to midtown, shittle service a bonus.

• Queen Deluxe Room

Saw yellow stains all over bed linen; initially chose this for its fitness center but it turned out that the closest gym was a 20-minute walk away; old building so relatively difficult access and the rooms are scattered across four buildings; staff weren't particularly friendly; curtains did not block light; location was only so-so.

The hotel looks historic; cozy ambiance; good selection of tea for breakfast

• Queen Deluxe Room

There was a huge gap under our door so the door would be closed and light would still shine into the room from outside. We had to put our luggage in front of the door.

The Inn on Ferry Street has several rooms in beautiful buildings. The staff there is very nice, the breakfast is phenomenal. They offer a shuttle service into Downtown which is very convenient.

• Queen Deluxe Room

Not happy that we were told only after the fact that help was available for our luggage to be taken to our room. The room was located up several flights of stairs with no elevator. We carried heavy suitcases up to our room. Not easy when I am 73 and my wife 69. Also the desk clerk might have done more than simply hand us a list of restaurants when we inquired about dining places.

First-rate facility and outstanding breakfast. Extremely well furnished old Victorian home. A unique experience.

• Queen Deluxe Room

There have been many business travelers there, hence, the atmosphere has not been as social as expected. But maybe this is also due to the fact that I only stayed one night there.

After a long drive and not knowing the city at all, I found a safe haven in multiple senses. The Inn is a wonderful place to arrive to and very difficult to leave again.... Will certainly come back. Breakfast at 6am was delicious, after a wonderful night sleep in a humongous bed with softest bed sheets...

• Queen Deluxe Room

Charming, homely, great service and friendly staff. Perfect breakfast, free shuttle, free bikes... Wish I had more days to stay as this was really a treat.

• Queen Deluxe Room

The breakfast was nice, the shuttle service was great and the staff was friendly. The style was different than what I am usually use to but this is why I chose this place and it really did meet my expectations. Excellent Cookies and Boxed Water!!!

• Queen Deluxe Room

The hotel is actually a series of large 1880s houses. Our bedroom was generous in size with windows facing west. A lovely room to return to late in the day. The Detroit Institure of Art is a block away. The ambience of the house and property is warm and inviting. Detroit is rebuilding itself but there are still areas in the city where visitors would feel uncomfortable. The Inn provides a shuttle bus service for all its guests that is a welcome and friendly means of getting to the points of interest and restaurants in the city.

• Reviewed: 19 August 2017

• Queen Deluxe Room

This is a fantastic hotel, very conveniently located within walking distance of the Detroit Institute of Art. The hotel is composed of several beautiful historic homes. The one I stayed in felt very cozy and was elegantly furnished. The bedroom was very comfortable. Excellent breakfast set in a beautiful dining room. I would definitely stay there again and I highly recommend this hotel.

• Queen Deluxe Room

What's NOT to like? This Inn offers everything an Inn should offer and at a reasonable price. It is ideal in every way.

Convenience to local attractions. Friendly helpful staff. Excellent Breakfasts. Free shuttle wifi breakfast parking. Loved items that could be purchased at reasonable price.

• Queen Deluxe Room

There are two complimentary Shinola bikes available to guests for riding around Detroit. We loved this unexpected bonus and used them daily! It was a great way to see the city.

• Queen Deluxe Room

Wonderful place! So nice to stay in this beautiful old mansion. Great breakfast, free shuttle anywhere you'd want to stay, very helpful staff, quiet & safe area, very close to downtown.

• Queen Deluxe Room

Nothing not to like. A treasure right in town.

The Inn never disappoints. The staff are amazing and now that the Q-Line is up and running (50 yards from the Inn), it is so convenient to get to many great restaurants, bars, and parks. The free shuttle is also a great way to get around town.

• Queen Deluxe Room

The staff was world class...We arived at midnight and the night staff was so friendly. This was an unexpected pleasure. Going back next month with the Grandchildren

• Queen Deluxe Room

No shuttle to & from the airport. Uber was awesome in the area.

Loved the big room & the downstairs area parlor. Breakfast was good, just know it's a small space & patience is key.

• Queen Deluxe Room

Old world feel to the building with modern amenities, friendly staff and the QLine rail stop at the end of the street made getting downtown a breeze. Our room had a large balcony to relax and enjoy a glass of wine on.

• Queen Deluxe Room

After I saw the room (a small room 4303 Owen House) who gave it to me, not the one I reserved, I found out from the reception that they had nothing else available. The next day I got the room I booked because it was available.

Free shuttle bus

• Queen Deluxe Room

The breakfast was more of a continental breakfast which i was expecting a little more because of the description as a bed and breakfast

The room was beautiful as well as he bathroom and very clean...

• Queen Deluxe Room

Our room was on the third floor so it was a good excercise for us to climb the stairs. For others it might be too much of a challenge.

Breakfast was wonderful. The driver of the shuttle that took us to the river walk was very friendly and pointed out the Greek Town area, where we found good restaurant to have dinner.

• Queen Deluxe Room

Nothing could have been better. The Inn was perfect for us.

Staff was so helpful, room was clean and bed was extremely comfortable, food was great, location was amazing. The shuttle service was an unexpected treat. WOW! This place is a GEM!!!

• Queen Deluxe Room

This is a beautiful Inn, lovely rooms in old buildings but not at all outdated. Friendly helpful staff and a wonderful breakfast with healthy options!

• Queen Deluxe Room

The house is so nice and charming, we loved it. There was a shuttle offered and bikes to rent for free. Awesome! Additionally, the breakfast was delicious (eggs, quiche, fruits, cereals, cookies/cakes ...). Definitely recommendable!

• Queen Deluxe Room

The room was elegant and spacious with a cute private bathroom. The bed was quite comfortable and the staff were friendly. The daily breakfast was presented beautifully.

• Queen Deluxe Room

not so close to downtown but hotel shuttle at disposal

absolutely amazing atmosphere, beautiful buildings and rooms, nice personal, excellent breakfast

• Queen Deluxe Room

This is a beautiful and very conveniently located hotel in Detroit. It consists of several restored XIXth century homes, the interior décor suits their character, my room even had a four-poster bed. Detroit Historical Museum is virtually across the street, Detroit Institute of Arts is a block away. Parking is free, a new Q-line stop that would take you downtown is within a few steps and the hotel also offers a free shuttle. A descent buffet is served for breakfast and the staff is very friendly and helpful. I very much enjoyed my stay and, if ever in Detroit again, I would definitely stay here.

• Queen Deluxe Room

The room was too noisy. Could hear people getting in and out from the house The bathroom needs to be renovated too.

Location and breakfast : great !!!!

• Queen Deluxe Room

The food was not great. Food service quality. Many local bakeries and shops could provide a more delicious and homemade selection.

Beautifully restored historic district. The Shinola bikes were a big bonus in allowing us to explore Midtown.

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

• Queen Deluxe Room

Pillows weren't comfortable, too big and hard.

Beautiful hotel. Great location near wonderful museums and institute of art. Free transport within 5 miles of hotel was wonderful and really helpful. It's a great thing to offer.

• Executive Room

Comfortable room. Friendly staff. Loved the fresh baked cookies and boxed water upon arrival. Close to everything and a free shuttle service to boot.

• Reviewed: 4 June 2017

• Queen Deluxe Room

Room was small & dark. Outside door locks were touchy, key cards had to be exchanged several times. Although we notified staff the night before that we would be checking out very early to go to the airport, our bill was not ready & took a while to prepare.

Breakfast was awesome. Staff was friendly. Back patio was comfortable & pleasant. Common areas were lovely. It was easy to walk to many places of interest.

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

• Executive Room

This is our second time staying at the Inn on Ferry Street. The staff is incredibly friendly, professional and attentive. The rooms are all well-appointed and unique, especially the suite we stayed in this year with separate living room + bedroom. A huge added bonus is their complimentary shuttle service, which saved us time and money. After long days of events and sightseeing, returning to the IOFS truly felt like "coming home." We can't wait for our next visit!

I loved it all

The place was classic and clean, and the staff was so friendly and considerate and attentive. Customer service was Job 1, and it showed!

• Queen Deluxe Room

Noise insolation could be improved.

A great place to stay; the different houses are beautiful, the rooms very nice, the breakfast gorgeous and the personnel very kind.

• Reviewed: 27 May 2017

• Queen Deluxe Room

I was placed on the third floor, not in the main house, a long climb up the stairs, only one way out in case of a fire, the room was ok, but I have stayed in better rooms at other Inns. I felt like, could be wrong of course, that I was given the room I was given because I got a discounted rate.

The staff, the charm and that historic nature of the building. The front porch with a chair, the free coffee, all day long, the nice breakfast

• Reviewed: 26 May 2017

• Queen Deluxe Room

Beautiful houses, full of character and history. Very friendly staff, delicious breakfast and very efficient free shuttle to travel around Detroit (5 miles radius). I've found my address for Detroit! Walking distance (5 min) from Detroit Institute of Arts.

• Queen Deluxe Room

Lovely comfortable bed, luxurious bathroom, free shuttle round Detroit, great location, beautifully converted nineteenth century houses, friendly staff happy to talk about Detroit ... why stay anywhere else? Ace.

• Queen Deluxe Room

They can't help it, but the location is terrible. Just a few blocks to terribly run down, stereotypical slum type buildings, streets, and although I am a city boy who knows how to stay safe and read my surroundings - it was an unsafe edgy atmosphere. I wouldn't want to walk to local gas stations for snacks. I invited friends over, and several refused to come because of the neighborhood. They were locals so that elevated my actual concerns. It's Detroit, so we need to support establishments like this as loyal Americans. It's a beautiful place.

Staying in an old style bed and breakfast was amazing and refreshing. The staff - perfection! Service - Amazing! The room service from Union Station, surprisingly affordable and awesome! They bring ice to your room, they have old school REAL service!. They have free parking safely behind the property and fenced off. (which matters when you read the negative issue, only one)

• Queen Deluxe Room

Everything was great! Have nothing bad to say.

Absolutely loved our stay! Will definitely stay again! Loved that they offered a shuttle service to take us where we wanted within 5 miles and pick us up whenever!

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

• Queen Deluxe Room

Old restored house, very clean , wonderful breakfast,fresh berries, delicious muffins, very accommodating staff. I will recommend this hotel to my friends and family when they visit Detroit.

• Queen Deluxe Room

Check in was at 3;00. I arrived at 1:00 and had an affair to attend. They said they would take my bags to my room. When I arrived late in the evening my bags were not in my room. Also, had alot of problems with the key card access to my room, had to go and have the key card reset several times.

The property was clean and the bed was very comfortable. Breakfast in the morning was good. The location is great for doing things downtown and in midtown. Parking on site was great and convenient.

• Reviewed: 22 March 2017

• Queen Deluxe Room

Local newspaper would be nice. Extra shelf or stand in bathroom for toiletry case would be nice.

Architecture of buildings; art and craft furniture. Convenience of parking. Informational material on Detroit was very helpful.

• Reviewed: 19 March 2017

• Queen Deluxe Room

Awesome place to stay, beautiful historic mansions with so much detail. Every area of the inn had so much to offer. Staff was very friendly and accommodating. Shuttle was great perk. Breakfast offering was delicious and plentiful. We will be back for sure.