Reviews of Budget Host Alexandria 1 stars

5916 Richmond Highway, Alexandria, VA 22303, USA

#28 of 41 hotels in Alexandria

My stay in Virginia
    • Queen Room

The Breakfast area is actually the reception with no chairs. What was being offers was not the my expectation. It is better the facility remove the breakfast element totally than offering a low standard level. The facilities is very close to the Richmond Highway and the noise were disturbing.

The Room were comfortable but the vehicle noises coming from the Richmond High Way as a bit disturbing. The toilets were cleaned and I personally enjoy having the small fridge and microwave in the room. The facility is located a walking distant to the Huntington Metro Station and there are several food shop near to it.

Excellent choice for a traveller on a budget !
    • Queen Room

Near highways and route 1. Metro station nearby to go all around Washington DC. Daily passes available for 16$. All u can eat restaurant next corner with good service and great food. Cheap and well located.

Very friendly and comfortable hotel.
    • Queen Room

I had called before we arrived and asked for a roll away bed and when we registered it was already in the room. What every we asked for they were very accommodating. Breakfast bar was very good and each day they changed what was on the bar. Shuttle was available to take us to the metro and picked us up when we were ready to return.

Very enjoyable stay.
    • Queen Room

My only dislike was the placement of the electrucal outlets. They were is odd places. There were plenty of them, just took me a few to locate the ones that suited me.

I really enjoyed the atmosphere. When i arrived, there were people sitting out front of thier rooms, in the privided poarcj chairs, soaking up the sun. Some people were even dancing, enjoying themselves. The staff was wonderful to talk to and gave me a detailed description of the town and what it had to offer. When i entered mybroom, it was clean. To my suprise, i side the room was a mini fridge, with freezer, as well as a microwave. There eas also bottled water, which was a bice touch. There was a couch and a nice desk there as well. I really enjoyed my stay there and would stay there again.

It’s right off the highway and near a lot of quick stores...
    • Queen Room

Only thing I didn’t like when u sat on the bed the lights kept going on and off .

It’s right off the highway and near a lot of quick stores like Walmart and food places

Good value for the money spent
    • Queen Room

Needs fitted sheets and better mattress pads and pillows.

Extra helpful/friendly staff and maintenance. Old roadside motel but very clean; they still use the old type mattress pads that do not look clean even though the cleaning ladies assured me they were washed after each guest. We just went down to Target and bought our own fitted sheet set, fitted mattress pad, and a couple of pillows....can't stand for a sheet to slip off the bed. If the room had not been so extra clean, we would not have stayed. We can handle OLD, but not dirty and the cleaning ladies were extra nice and had everything really clean. The mattress was encased in a zippered sanitary cover. Also, because the motel is old, the older shower head gave off a great water pressure...can't get that these days with the new shower heads. For the price, it was a good place to stay and we were very comfortable. The highway noise mentioned in another review was not a problem for us.

The bed was very comfortable and room was clean and the...
    • Queen Room

The bed was very comfortable and room was clean and the staff very friendly. The building itself needs to be "fixed up". Good for a "no frills" hotel. Thought the price was high for the state of the building itself.

Great value, but for those without cars, possibly too far from the metro (I liked the .5 mi walk)
    • Queen Room

I planned to stay one night, and stayed five. I needed to hide-out and get some work done, which I did ("do not disturb" sign worked fine). It is a very good value. Staff are nice, if operating "old school" methods (two signature paperwork to pay by credit card). Although it is near a major highway, I did not notice the noise (some might differ). The metro is a half-mile hike, but then is a straight shot into DC. Light breakfast is in the office every morning (Bagel & Coffee); Room had fridge, desk, lounge chair, microwave, internet, and cable tv, and excellent black-out curtains. Two minute walk away is my favorite all-you-can eat buffet ever. Food/customers were really diverse (in every way) and a great value (planned my meals around having a substantial lunch there every day).

A good value and very convenient to where I was attending a workshop.
    • Queen Room

The hotel sits between two busy roads. If traffic noise bothers you, this is not the place for you.

It is an older hotel, but very comfortable. Everything is well maintained. This is my second stay here and I would certainly come back again.

A basic clean, comfortable room.
    • Queen Room

A basic clean, comfortable room. I was surprised to get a fridge and microwave, though I didn't need them. Good value for the money, and close to area attractions.

Room was exceedingly small.
    • Queen Room

Room was exceedingly small. Carpet old and frayed. comforter had many cigarette burn holes in it. Refrigerator was frosted up. Traffic noise was above average. Could not recommend this room to anyone.

surprised as the outside appearance does not match the comfort level of the room
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

not so much not to like, but no technology update... ie: actual key for the door to the room and copy receipt from antiquated credit card copy mechanism

proximity to the event which brought me to Alexandria

Convenient cheap location to stay for a weekend DC trip.
    • Queen Room

It did not bother me, but this motel is in between two very busy roads. If traffic noise keeps you up, you should look elsewhere! Continental breakfast was lacking a little.

Clean simple room with fridge and microwave. 5 minute drive to the metro station which has free parking on the weekends. Shops (walmart/target etc) within driving distance (for when you forget your shampoo and conditioner or your child will not eat anything but cereal and milk for breakfast).

Pleasant and affordable stay, easy commute to DC
    • Queen Room

Nothing really. Maybe part of the furnishing could be renewed, but overall it was a very pleasant stay.

Good value for money for a few-night stay in DC. The motel is situated 20 min walk from Huntington Metro Station, from which you can reach DC in approximately 30 - 35 minutes. There is also a bus stop almost in front of the motel. Quiet / safe area, even though on the main highway. Amenities at walkable distance. Room was clean and staff was very kind. Wi-fi worked well.

The property is convenient to where I was working.
    • Queen Room

There is not much offered as far as a breakfast but at least you can take a cup of coffee and a donut.

The property is convenient to where I was working. The parking lot is well lit and I liked being able to park my truck right outside my door. This place is nothing fancy but it is clean, and quiet and the staff is friendly. I liked being able to keep my expenses low on this trip since I was only out for a day. There are lots of restaurants and stores nearby and the historic section of Alexandria is only a 5 min ride by car or taxi.

Great value for money, entirely exceeded my expectations and would definitely stay here again!
    • Queen Room

It‘s a bit loud, since the highway is right in front of it. The walls are very thin, so we could hear the guests nextdoor, even though they were speaking at a normal volume. Despite all this, I was able to sleep just fine!

I was expecting a lot less, since it‘s a motel. The bed was confortable, there was a fridge and a microwave, a modern tv wirh many channels, good wifi, enough space. The bathroom was really good and clean, there were sets of 3 towels for each. Very close from old town Alexandria and also D.C (by car), easy to find.

Easy to find.
    • Queen Room

Check out time at location is 11 AM. Stuff knocked on my door @ 10.20 AM demanding me to leave saying that it's something pasted 11 AM. Sink doesn't drains...They definitely need put new pillows.

Easy to find...Conveniently located next to Old Alexandria.

Great place to stay for a few days
    • Queen Room

Door needed to be weather-sealed. Rather long walk to the transit station (1.1 miles) if you are arriving by plane. Limited food options nearby

Location is great if you're visiting DC. Suntrust bank next door Buffet Diner & 7-11 nearby

Great value for money and lovely staff!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Next to main road so worth bringing ear plugs,

Great location, could walk into Alexandria in about 25 mins, via a pathway separated from the interstate, also free shuttle in the morning to the metro so handy for a trip into DC, metro about a mile walk on the way home. Also staff all really nice and helpful, free breakfast in the morning fairly basic, coffee fruit and Bagel but did the job. Beds really comfy aswell.

Nice experience
    • Queen Room

Everything was fine,there wasn't anything i didn't like.

It was a good experience. The host was very nice and kind, made some suggestions where to go and where to eat.

• Reviewed: 19 August 2017

Nice, quiet stay close to the action without the huge pricetag!
    • Queen Room

Room lighting was standard motel/hotel. Wish it was brighter to facilitate my working remotely.

The hotel is a quaint / likely 1940s single level, but the staff were outstanding in attending to detail and making sure I was comfortable. Very nice place to stay inexpensively within minutes of the (3x higher) convention center facilities.

Horrible, I would like a refund

Old gum stuck to the headboard Mattress very thin and hard Flat sheet on mattress instead of fitted Toilet seat loose Bathroom door doesn't close all the way Pillows flat Sofa and carpet dirty

parking was convenient

Bed was very comfortable.
    • Queen Room

I didn't like the non-fitted sheet on the bed. Our first night, I noticed it and it looked like the sheet was a tad too small. I don't want to touch the mattress when I'm sleeping at a hotel-that grosses me out.

Bed was very comfortable. Very clean room and bathroom. Loved the shower pressure in the shower. Liked the vending machines and they came in handy after a long day of walking. Loved the free shuttle. I will definitely stay here again if I am traveling to the DC area. You can't beat the price.

Very nice experience... As they say, I spent a night, not a fortune.
    • Queen Room

The reception office... no bathroom near. After traveling you need a bathroom when you are 80.

Clean room, good shower, nice bed... what else? This is not Westminster.

If You Just Want to Sleep and Save $$--Try This One!
    • Queen Room

The location, while central, was not is an aesthetically pleasing area but on a busy highway. The room was dated and the wi-fi was slow. No pool or breakfast.

We liked the staff. He was helpful and informative. He acted more as a concierge than the night manager. He provided great recommendations for dinner and entertainment. Also, helpful with extra linens for our children. Clean room. The location was central in Alexandria. Very inexpensive.

Would stay here again!!!!!
    • Queen Room

I did not feel completely secure in the room by myself. I felt someone might be able to get into the room.

Great to find a place that was what we needed but at a great cost!!!

Nice place, good location, rooms are clear.
    • Queen Room

Breakfast was really bad. Uneatable sweets only. However, it's a problem to find more or less good breakfast in the US.

Nice place, good location, rooms are clear.

A good, old fashioned motel
    • Queen Room

There was no iron and ironing board in the room. I may have been able to request on but was in a rush. One thing that made me laugh which may make some people upset was a leftover half turkey sandwich in the mini fridge from the previous guest.

Best deal for the area and the relatively short time frame I needed a room. The person at the main desk was friendly and the bedroom was accommodating.

Bait and switch
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The first minute I got to the office I knew I made a mistake picking this place. He never asked for my reservation number and proceeded to charge me a much higher rate..

The breakfast was a joke.

OK for the price in the DC area.
    • Queen Room

Breakfast donuts/bagels....just a nice danish would have been better. Noise from traffic just outside the rooms.

The staff were so helpful answering questions regarding DC and helping with transportation. Coffee and juice in the morning. Since we were just sleeping, the rates were good.

Good stay for travelers to DC. Metro near by.
    • Queen Room

The bathroom floor was a little slippery when wet and the mini fridge was not cold enough when we got there. I had to turn it down a little. Highway 1 NB gets really crowded between 4 and 6 pm AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

This is a motel for travelers. Me, my wife, and our 3 month old took a short trip to DC. I didn't want to deal with the expense of staying in the metropolitan area and traffic in DC is the worst I have ever seen. We settled in Alexandria. Budget Host Alexandria is less than a mile from the metro station and the motel shuttles you out there in the mornings. Its a perfect place to stay unless you spend most of your time in your room. Its about a mile from Huntington park so if the you do have some extra time you can go over there and relax. The area feels safe as well. Also, George Washington's Mt Vernon estate is about 15 minutes away. The room itself was a lot better than I expected for the price. The Ac was cold. The tv, wifi, and cable were great. The bathroom in our room had recently been updated. The carpet was clean and the bed was nicely made for us every day. It has a mini fridge and a small desk and chair. The lighting in the room is good and there are lots of electrical outlets. And a big bonus for us was the pull out bed in the sofa. Overall the room felt as good as any other run of the mill hotel you could find, but at about half the price. I would have to give this place a solid 10 based on location, staff, room cleanliness, location, and most of all, the price. There isn't much to complain about here.

Good clean budget hotel
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Beds were not very comfortable.

It was a good economic hotel. I just needed a 1 night start near Prince Street in Alexandria, VA. I didn't want fancy just clean. This hotel fit the bill.

Great value, would stay again
    • Queen Room

The hotel area was not walking close to anything.

The staff was friendly and helpful. They appeared to be family and treated everyone as family. Location was perfect if you had a car. Parking close to the room. Well maintained older motel.

• Reviewed: 26 May 2017

A neat, clean place to stay in sourthern Alexandria
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Motel is old and could do with a makeover to bring it up-to-date but this is a minor issue. I judge a motel by its character and comfort rather than it's being modern.

The location of the motel is ok being in a motel belt in southern Alexandria. The motel is neat, clean and comfortable. It is an economical place to stay for those visiting this part of the greater Washington area. It is also close to public transport which I found also to be cheap, modern, clean and efficient.

• Reviewed: 25 May 2017

The man on reception was so helpful.
    • Queen Room

The man on reception was so helpful. Talked us in when we were lost, brought us ice for our drinks and a delivery menu. We parked outside the room. Very convenient for airport.

I had to look for a staff for early checkout (4:30am).
    • Queen Room

I had to look for a staff for early checkout (4:30am). WiFi did not work with the access point in the room. When I turned of the access point, I could use WiFi with one in another room.

room was clean
    • Queen Room

couple next to us woke us up at 2 a.m. screaming and cursing saying the f word over and over for a long time, finally police came and more yelling. we were a little frightened wondering what would happen. the police then took the man away, but it seems he returned by later that morning. no offer was made for remuneration from this disturbance. it was very overpriced.

room was clean

• Reviewed: 10 May 2017

Overall it was a good experience.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

I needed a place close to the airport, since I was driving it was a short ride. The area is sketchy, there is the subway in walking distance, but I wouldn't go into DC and return at night with the expectation of walking back, not a good idea. There are great restaurants in old town, but again, you would want to drive and find parking. You can walk during the day, it's very easy to get around with the walking stuctures around the freeway and such, but you need to have a car or take an uber if you want to go anywhere at night. The rooms have everything you need but it's old and dated.

• Reviewed: 5 May 2017

Excellent value
    • Queen Room

The only thing that bothered me was the mattress, not as comfortable as I would have liked.

The staff was very welcoming and friendly, the location was perfect for me, and you can't beat the value. Felt safe even though it was a motel and I was traveling alone.

Price and location.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Real keys. Too hard to keep track of and easy to lose.

Price and location. Visiting daughter who lives in Belle View so all we want is something CLEAN, reasonably priced, and convenient. This motel exceeds all these needs, and its updates from our first visits are very nice.

Great staff and customer service.
    • Queen Room

Everything was fantastic. The customer service here was great. Everyone was so polite and respectful. This is definitely one of the best motels/hotels on the planet.

pics misleading.
    • Queen Room

broken shower knob, noisy and non-efficient ac/heat system, bed frame stuck out from mattress on side causing bumps on legs, continental breakfast was a joke, charged $6.00 for phone usage for one local call to pizza delivery after being told local calls were free. Price per booking.com was $574.89, price charge at motel was $598.64. Which I pointed out to motel with no result.

location to metro line for D.C.

Family owned, safe and well placed.
    • Queen Room

It was chilly a few nights, and I was a little annoyed that the heater wasn't as responsive as I would have liked, but I was never really uncomfortable. All in all I was really lucky to have gotten this booking. For my purposes it was exactly what I needed and better than I had hoped for.

Absolutely the closest and easiest access to National Harbor/MGM Grand for those who can't afford those rates but want to attend functions there and are traveling by car. 5 minutes, every day no joke....amazing.

• Reviewed: 8 April 2017

Pleasantly surprised!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Heating/ac unit did not have controls.

This inexpensive, basic motel was a very pleasant surprise. It was much nicer than expected, considering the price and photos. Very no-frills and dated decor, but clean room, comfy bed, frige, tv, spotless little bathroom, and friendly, helpful staff. I couldn't have been happier. Literally a 10 minute drive to major DC attractions. My only complaint is that there were no controls on the heating/ac unit, but the temp in the room was comfortable anyhow, so it didn't matter. I'll stay there again, the next time I visit the DC area.

• Reviewed: 8 April 2017

Amazing staff members!!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

I think it just needs a few little updates on the rooms. Like more pillows, hairdryer, and iron.

The location was excellent. Walking distance to metro station and grocery stores. Staff was nice and friendly and gave a lot of great info about the area and metro station.

• Reviewed: 24 March 2017

Great value, but a little noisy
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Location is easy to access, but the doors aren't good at sealing out the road noise from the nearby express way.

Price is good, and hotel staff would drop off guests at nearby metro station.

• Reviewed: 23 March 2017

OK accommodations
    • Queen Room

Loud traffic on busy highway.

The shower had excellent unlimited hot water. Complimentary breakfast of unlimited coffee. Easy access off highway. Clean rooms.

• Reviewed: 10 March 2017

Felt like I was staying at the "Bates Motel".
    • Queen Room

The property was VERY dated! When we entered our first room we noticed the window in the rear of the property didn't lock so we had to be moved to another room. The bed was very hard and uncomfortable. We would not stay here again.

Staff was friendly.

• Reviewed: 8 March 2017

Cozy and Comfortable, with Great Value
    • Queen Room

This is a nice stay for 1 or 2 nights for the very reasonable rate you pay. The room is simple, but quaint and cozy. It has all the basic comforts one needs: refrigerator, microwave, complimentary water, Cable TV, adjustable heat unit that is relatively quiet sounding compared to other hotels, extra pillows and comforter, and a laundry bag! Also, the room and bath are clean with not one visible stain. Extra long mirror on closet door. The hotel is family owned and operated, with outstanding customer service. They provide a complimentary continental breakfast, free newspaper, and shuttle service to the metro. The staff even went out of their way to shuttle me to the metro outside of normal hours so I could make my job interview. I highly recommend this place!

Affordable and pleasurable
    • Queen Room

Nothing was bad.. the wifi was spotty but we were mostly out during the day so it didn't bother us.

Service cleaned every day which was very nice to come back to after a long day out! They were extremely friendly as well.

• Reviewed: 18 February 2017

pay an extra few dollars and stay elsewhere
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

I wish I paid an extra 20-30 bucks and stayed elsewhere. It's just not a great facility. The overnight clerk was very polite but geez, the room was disgusting and the bed was really small.

I went on booking.com and picked this property because of price and location. We needed a place to sleep on our way to visit colleges in NC and picked this one. It was inexpensive and conveniently located.

• Reviewed: 24 January 2017

Easy Access to D.C. and Old Town
    • Queen Room

The staff were very friendly and welcoming. The location is very good - 3 minutes from the metro station and 10 minutes from Old Town Alexandria. No frills, but a clean room and an excellent value.

• Reviewed: 24 January 2017

Retro Motel Hotel with Excellent Customer Service
    • Queen Room

Great about providing xport to the Metro in the AM, but not available in the evening time. Manageable walk and neighborhood ok. Taxi or Uber would be an option however.

Simple, old style motor lodge but within 1 mile of the Metro subway so can get into DC within 20+ minutes. Staff very friendly and that's what made the stay memorable. Buffet right around corner.

• Reviewed: 22 January 2017

Great, overnight hotel!
    • Queen Room

The hotel is truly a budget hotel with a great staff and ordinary comfort. But, it is in a great location, 5 minutes to Metro train by car with the best eating places nearby to include a Walmart, Krispy Kreme Doughnuts, and I-95. Moreover, it is 2 miles to the center of Alexandria, Virginia or 15 minutes from Ronald Reagan International Airport. Great, clean, and friendly budget hotel!

• Reviewed: 19 January 2017

Great place to stay
    • Queen Room

Richmond Highway is a busy noisy road.

Always feel welcome here. Good coffee at the continental breakfast. Shuttle to the Metro station with a helpful driver. Car window cleaning squeegee available. Good TV and Wifi too !

• Reviewed: 5 January 2017

Value for Money!
    • Queen Room

The baseboard heater in the bathroom was not working - wasn't a huge deal since it wasn't too cold. I'm sure they would have fixed it had I let them know.

The location was very handy right off the 495 but we were not bothered by any highway noise! The owner quickly got us additional pillows when we asked for them! Coffee available in the office starting at 6:30 pm - great news for us early risers!

• Reviewed: 14 December 2016

Older, but clean and convenient Location
    • Queen Room

I use the Wifi to work remotely and it did not work from the Morning of the 2nd day until we checked out on the morning of the 3rd day, Office staff did not seem to be able to find a solution to issue.

Very helpful staff, although older, nicely kept and very clean facility. Motel staff offered rid to train station. Location quite convenient to public transport. Commute to city easy and a convenient stop off Metro at Alexandria on the way home, easy to catch bus from the train station and a close walk back to motel. Area felt safe.

• Reviewed: 5 November 2016

Poor service for a price
    • Queen Room

No air conditioning They wanted me to open my window (no screen) Open my door and set a fan in door I want to know what they are smoking How could anyone open their door in the middle of the night and sleep near DC.

• Reviewed: 29 September 2016

• Queen Room

The door was like a house door and when you unlocked it, the door remained unlocked. I did not realize until I was leaving the next morning to check out.

The night desk clerk was very pleasant and accommodating. The location was extremely convenient to the beltway.

• Reviewed: 23 September 2018

Breakfast almost non existent

As above

Breakfast almost non existent They should no advertise it

No breakfast,just bad coffee.
    • Queen Room

No breakfast,just bad coffee.

It was ok
    • Queen Room

The air conditioner barely worked, the continental breakfast were little Debbie snacks.

It was clean and the people were nice

Comfy bed

Comfy bed

close to rail line

could use a face lift

close to rail line

Great stay!
    • Queen Room

Could use a little updating

Great staff and great location.

It was ghetto

It was ghetto

Breakfast can improve

Cold breakfast only

AC

AC

Great hospitality
    • Queen Room

I can't complain about anything

Great hospitality

Great place! Great value!!
    • Queen Room

It was close to everything!!!

• Queen Room

Man at front desk was very personable and friendly.
    • Queen Room

Bed was too hard. Hotel is right next toRoute 1 and there is a lot of road noise.

Man at front desk was very personable and friendly.

...