Reviews of Fireside Inn & Suites Auburn 2 stars

1777 Washington Street, Auburn, ME 04210, USA

#5 of 5 hotels in Auburn

Overall a good value. They could work on things to make it better.
    • Non-Smoking Double Queen Room

The pool was not open. The laundry facility was filthy, and scary. They were in the middle of a remodel so the smell of paint was bothering me and there were workers in and out. The breakfast was not that great. There are train tracks across the street and the train comes early. I hated the LED lighting. It was so dark in the room.

The room was decent size and clean. I think they could do better in the bathroom area, though. I believe I was in the remodeled part. The décor looked updated. Close to the turnpike which was helpful, and near a gas station. Shopping area not too far away.

Ok for an overnight visit.

I know they are doing renovations so trying to be considerate of that but we were in one of the upgraded rooms(booked a king bed upgraded to two queen beds. When I asked about the beds was told I was upgraded to a nicer room, would have been nice to still had the King bed I asked for) The tiles in the shower were falling off the wall. Lots of black mold in the bathroom. The rest of the room was freshly painted and decorated so that was nice. But if you are doing renovations update the bathroom!

Location was great, right off the highway so very convenient.

We enjoyed our stay.
    • Standard Double Room Non Smoking

The older units needed upgrading badly.

We were upgraded to new building & it was very nice. Enjoyed double sinks in bathroom. Also let us check in early.

Our room was upgraded to a newly renovated room because the...
    • Non-Smoking Double Queen Room

Our room was upgraded to a newly renovated room because the room that I reserved online wasn't actually even available because it's under construction and the pool (I requested to be near the pool) was closed.

Absolutely dingy
    • Standard Double Room Non Smoking

The property was absolutely filthy right off the highway filled with truckers very sketchy next to a gas station the girl that checked as soon as sketchy too. Had a hoodie on with a hat couldn't even see your face. Could hear people coming in the room all hours we tried to look for another hotel and everything was booked in the area so we were kind of screwed. We booked it to go to the casino so thank God we were drunk when we got back we couldn't wait to get the heck out of there in the morning we will never ever look here I would highly advise you not to I worked in the hotel industry for years and this place I can't even believe is up and running. Waste of money they said you have a room by the pool but didn't even tell us when we booked or when we checked in that the pool was not even in use and the bar and restaurant that's attached ohyeah that's closed as well. I can't believe nobody mentioned that. The room was disgusting and dirty the bathroom was absolutely disgusting there was hair in the tub. The rug was filthy, the walls are filthy the pillowcases and the sheet smell like bleach so we tore back everything on the bed and slept with just that. We actually thought about sleeping in the car. We had been to the Fireside Inn in Waterville Maine before which is a clean nice property I would not have my name out in front of that Motel.

Absolutely nothing

Fine.
    • Standard Double Room Non Smoking

Why is the phone in the room dead? Why do I have to crawl around on the floor to plug in lams and appliances?

The right location, at the right price , at the right time/\.

Friendly staff and very clean room.
    • King Room - Smoking

Restaurant was closed, pool was closed, toilet run all night and was loud. Air conditioning was comfy but ran constantly and was loud as the toilet. Free breakfast was a plate of uncovered muffins ...

Friendly staff and very clean room. Super comfortable bed.. good location.

Probably won't stay there again until I see NEW pictures with updated rooms.

The outside door looked like it had been broken into, bathroom was clean but coming apart around the walls, etc. Just needs a BIG makeover overall. I had read other reviews and was aware they are under new management but we were put in a room out back and the room was certainly not what I expected :(

The location, price, and staff were fine.

The bathroom was not cleaned.

The bathroom was not cleaned. The last guests old, opened shampoo was still left in the shower. Overall, it could have been more clean. Very outdated as well. The fire alarm went off early morning for 30 minutes without explanation.

Okay. A little bit pricey for the quality.
    • Double Queen Suite with Fireplace - Non-Smoking

The same price for a suite or just a fireplace in the room. I booked a fireplace room but they did not have any by the time I got there. Construction everywhere and they were doing renovations which included banging with hammers outside of my room very early.

Needed a place to stay. Worked out

A few updates and this place would be a 5 *
    • Non-Smoking Double Queen Room

What I didn't like is the heater in the room wasn't very strong but they also have a gas fireplace for additional Heat.

I like the rum because I had many more many days much more room and it was a lot cleaner than Motel 6 in Lewiston. They also have a decent breakfast.

• King Suite with Spa Bath - Non-Smoking

Really out of date. Restaurant and pool table area was under renovations which I wasn't told about before booking. Even the breakfast was poor and not what was advertised.

Liked the hot tub.

Convenient location off the highway due to snow weather.

Met all out needs. Could use updating and get rid of the border wallpaper.

Weather was bad on the highway, and this was only feet away. Location was what it was all about before the road conditions got worse.

Next to a truck stop so you heard trucks running all night...
    • Standard Double Room Non Smoking

Next to a truck stop so you heard trucks running all night long

We relaxed by the pool a lot., continental breakfast was good and all the staff were great.
    • Double Queen Room - Smoking

Our section was a little run down. But the room itself was fine.

The pool was great. The water was perfect.

It's a little noisy.
    • Double Queen Room - Smoking

It's a little noisy..trucks in and out. And they were drilling somthing all afternoon

6.0
    It was okay
    • Non-Smoking Double Queen Room

The check-in/check-out process was a little irritating, they didn't charge the full amount at first and had to do two separate transactions.

The bathroom is in serious need of refurbishing.
    • Standard Double Room Non Smoking

The bathroom is in serious need of refurbishing.

We had a room on the back side of the hotel which seemed...
    • Non-Smoking Double Queen Room

We had a room on the back side of the hotel which seemed like the place they put folks who need lodging because they are homeless.

not bad for the price

Parking lot wasn't plowed

Jets didn’t work in the spa tub
    • King Suite with Spa Bath - Non-Smoking

Jets didn’t work in the spa tub

• Reviewed: 24 May 2016

First time in a room w/fireplace.

Not enuff face cloths. Too small bathroom. No elevator. We were all seniors, one with cane and one with COPD.

First time in a room w/fireplace. Location. Breakfast.

• Reviewed: 18 May 2016

The bed was comfortable.

The out dated tv. The shower had a mind of its own. U put the water to warm it kept goin from warm to scolding hot back an forth.

• Reviewed: 12 May 2016

Room was spacious.

We asked for a quiet room and were placed on the back where truckers ran engines at late hours and predawn. There is a lovely grass courtyard, we should have asked to change rooms but were tired bicyclists.

Room was spacious. Good hot water pressure.

• Reviewed: 11 May 2016

It was close to Route 95.

Lots and lots of truckers. They park in the gas station and certified trucks scales that are there. My coffee pot did not work, and I could not call front desk to request another, as my telephone did not work either. Hair in tub and in sink.

It was close to Route 95.

• Reviewed: 9 May 2016

The location was quiet for sleeping (some hotel's near...

I did not check the hotel's proximity to my business event (downtown Auburn) prior to booking. Had I checked, I might have reconsidered. There did not appear to be many restaurant options near the hotel. Had I stayed multiple nights, this might have been an issue. When I booked my trip on-line, I checked a box that offered me a printed receipt at check-out, from the hotel desk. When I asked for it, they said that I could not have one due to registering on-line. I did not make a scene about this. However, Booking.com should not offer something that the local hotel will not honor.

The location was quiet for sleeping (some hotel's near highway ramps can be noisy all night). Access to the highway was very good. There's a large Irving truck stop adjacent to the hotel, which offers plenty of travelling supplies.

• Reviewed: 10 April 2016

The deluxe continental breakfast had lots of easy options.

The deluxe continental breakfast had lots of easy options. The room was definitely older and kind of crappy but honestly, for $69 bucks, and right off the highway? Perfect for one night.

• Reviewed: 2 March 2016

Room was very clean and comfortable.

Continental breakfast was good, but there was no place to sit and eat it other than the couch in the lobby

Room was very clean and comfortable. The Keurig coffee maker was a plus

• Reviewed: 21 February 2016

The room was absolutely disgusting.

Everything could've been better. I don't have one nice thing to say about this disgusting place.

The room was absolutely disgusting. The worst hotel I have ever seen that they actually rent to people. That place is Def a beg big, roach infested place. The pic ate nothing of what it actually looks like. Please people believe me when you think about staying there, dont.

• Reviewed: 14 February 2016

The reservation process didn't work.

The reservation process didn't work. I got there before the hotel had received my reservation. It took her 30 minutes to check me in. Next time, I'm not using booking.com, I'm calling the hotel directly.

• Reviewed: 6 January 2016

Location, continental breakfast, quiet.

Some updating has occurred, however, updating should be finished on a room to room basis, not half done, left unpainted etc., also there was a hole in the wall where a new lock and door handle was installed but the door stop was not moved and the door handle had been shoved through the wall, more care should be taken while renovating, and done more professionally.

Location, continental breakfast, quiet.

• Reviewed: 23 December 2015

Convenience.

The room was cold, despite having the temp at 75. Even tried to raise it to 80, but no luck. Informed the front desk, and she said "give it a few minutes and it'll warm up". Housekeeping did not come in to change the towels while there.

Convenience.

• Reviewed: 23 November 2015

really liked the location.

as someone who has stayed at more than one fireside in throughout Maine and New Hampshire this one was the most out of date and smelled like a mix of cigarettes and flea spray. made my skin crawl to stay there. tried to call the front desk on 3 different occasions with no answer. and don't try to take a shower when you're taller than 5'4... I'm 5'9 and could barely rinse out my hair. the shower head hit the bottom of my neck:/ won't be back to this location. but will most definitely recommend the Belfast Maine location!!

really liked the location.

• Reviewed: 9 November 2015

Staff friendly

Stayed 2 nights and staff didn't come in....never picked up dirty towels...needed to go to the service desk at night to get fresh towels....

Staff friendly

• Reviewed: 28 October 2015

Nice comfortable room, computer with printer available in...

TV noise could be heard in room all night – not sure where it came from but made sleeping difficult. No supermarkets nearby.

Nice comfortable room, computer with printer available in lobby for guest use– appreciated for printing online bookings etc.

• Reviewed: 22 October 2015

The location was excellent for the area we wanted to see.

We stayed in the older part of the facility. Would have liked t have seen the rest of the building as it looked much nicer. Tractor trailers parked outside our window woke us at 3 AM both nights. Don't count on a good breakfast.

The location was excellent for the area we wanted to see. Food was easily located. Staff was very friendly.

• Reviewed: 11 October 2015

Staff was friendly.

Dated and dingy. Massage chair in room was broken. We were looking forward to that after a day at Fryeburg fair. It was clean but looks like it could use a good scrubbing.

Staff was friendly. They were understaffed. They remained friendly and cordial although obviously overworked.

• Reviewed: 29 September 2015

Helpful friendly staff - allowed early check in so we could...

Helpful friendly staff - allowed early check in so we could be on time for the wedding. Location near the highway was convenient. Breakfast was good - helped us get off on our journey early.

• Reviewed: 29 September 2015

Room had easy access from parking lot for handicapped

Just as we were leaving, we saw a bug that resembled a roach. We would really like to return in the future, but we need to know that the rooms are very clean and free of such a bug.

Room had easy access from parking lot for handicapped Helpful staff

• Reviewed: 19 September 2015

Staff was friendly, location was perfect for all of our...

The rug in the room was horrible. Very sticky,old, dirty, was not able to walk around in socks or barefoot

Staff was friendly, location was perfect for all of our destinations, extra bonus.. Air Ballon weekend...

• Reviewed: 7 September 2015

The value - room was pleasant & price was great.

The fact that I was called during the day & told that they had expected me to check out when I had been assured the afternoon before that I was booked for 2 nights. Not sure where the miscommunication was, but it wasn't with me although the person who called me made it sound like I was trying to get away with something.

The value - room was pleasant & price was great.

• Reviewed: 6 September 2015

we only stayed for one night.

we were put up on the second floor about as far away from stairs as possible -- and we had a dog! there were barely any cars there so i'm not sure why we were given that room. Also, it's pretty far from Portland which was where we were going. just for reference. if you don't mind driving, it's alright but it's certainly not the next town over sort of convience. and there's nothing around it.

we only stayed for one night.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2015

Rooms were large.

Noisy, decor/facilities not updated, got stuck with a smoking room, which we didn't want.

Rooms were large. Fridge and microwave in room was helpful

• Reviewed: 18 August 2015

The bed, pillow, toilet paper were all poor. The tv is outdated. There was a portable ac unit in room that was loud and did not cool room. The linens smelled of cigarettes room receptacles were not all working. There were no soap dishes. Room key was difficult to use as well. At appeared other guests had same issue as they appeared to have difficulty getting in room. The person working front desk, "john" was stuffing his face when I approached and greeted me with a mouthful of food (nacho plate beside him)

• Reviewed: 18 August 2015

Prebooked hotel and then charged again (double charge of...

Prebooked hotel and then charged again (double charge of what was prepaid). Inconvenience of reversal. Booked 2 rooms (both prepaid) and one was on the other side and one near the front.

• Reviewed: 16 August 2015

i needed the place to sleep in between stops

the room was not comfortable , the carpets were sticky and unpleasant stepping on it.

i needed the place to sleep in between stops good location on the road

• Reviewed: 14 August 2015

The suite was very well kept.

Handicapped bath needs a higher toilet. It is hard for a handicapped person to get up.

The suite was very well kept. Nice furnishings. And a well setup kitchenette.

• Reviewed: 11 August 2015

Cost and location

8:00 am Sunday, there was virtually no food left and they were not restocking. Your breakfast says until 10:00. 'There was a bus' is not an acceptable response. What about the rest of your customers?

Cost and location

• Reviewed: 21 July 2015

Location is highly accessible.

Our unit needed minor maintenance (towel rod that didn't stay put, refrigerator froze all liquids and we could not raise the temperature).

Location is highly accessible. Excellent value. A/C operation was superb.

• Reviewed: 30 June 2015

Not much.

Needs a major remodel. Beds are like a rock. Both front desk employees seemed brand new and confused.Restaurant closed 3 out of 4 days we stayed.

Not much.

• Reviewed: 13 June 2015

The room was clean the first night I was there.

Room was not cleaned by house keeping even though it was requested. On site restaurant is not open on weekends. No room service. Pool and fitness room not open at that time. Rude and uncaring staff during check out.

The room was clean the first night I was there. The room has a mini fridge and a microwave.

• Reviewed: 9 June 2015

I like the quiet convenient location

The room is not what I expected shower goes ice cold then almost burn you while taking a shower and the dirt in the shower tiles

I like the quiet convenient location

• Reviewed: 25 May 2016

It was pretty cheap and clean

nothing special but a solid room for a one night stay

It was pretty cheap and clean

The room was clean

The hotel is very run down

The room was clean

The rooms where so clean beds comfortable

The pool was filled to use

The rooms where so clean beds comfortable

• Reviewed: 19 May 2016

The hotel is old and needs repairs however the room was very...

The hotel is old and needs repairs however the room was very clean and comfortable. We enjoyed our stay.

• Reviewed: 20 April 2016

The room was old and in need of some repair of update of...

The bed was comfortable.

The room was old and in need of some repair of update of decor.

• Reviewed: 16 April 2016

Quiet, Pleasant courtyard, and Comfortable beds.

The room smelled of cleaning chemicals as if to cover up cigarette smoke

Quiet, Pleasant courtyard, and Comfortable beds.

• Reviewed: 12 April 2016

breakfast

• Reviewed: 29 March 2016

Room was clean.

Room was clean. Location provided easy access. We pretty much just slept there. Didn't even sample the continental breakfast.

• Reviewed: 15 March 2016

Food left in microwave from previous guest that had stayed...

Food left in microwave from previous guest that had stayed in that room

• Reviewed: 16 February 2016

Amenities were all there

Hot chocolate and tea could be added to the Keurig selection. Better snow removal at the curb.

Amenities were all there

• Reviewed: 19 January 2016

Convenient, inexpensive

Rooms are dated and worn

Convenient, inexpensive

• Reviewed: 4 January 2016

Very pretty place.

Very pretty place. Loved the fireplace.

• Reviewed: 31 October 2015

Convenient location.

Convenient location. Great room. Fully equipped. Just great.

• Reviewed: 28 October 2015

Club octane was fun!

Power failures and smelly tired rooms. Time to update. Didn't like the public lewdness in the parking lot.

Club octane was fun!

• Reviewed: 26 October 2015

Convenient to highway

Noise, bathroom door didn't close, phone didn't work, heat was on a timer

Convenient to highway

• Reviewed: 23 October 2015

The staff was amazing!

Leaving

The staff was amazing! So helpful with us.

• Reviewed: 20 October 2015

We were pleasantly surprised at how clean and comfortable...

We were pleasantly surprised at how clean and comfortable the rooms were considering the excellent price.

• Reviewed: 16 October 2015

very very loud from a huge party in the back parking lot.

very very loud from a huge party in the back parking lot. Could not sleep. Outlets did not fully work in the room

• Reviewed: 14 October 2015

Front desk staff was super nice!

Carpets were kinda icky. Had stains. Need shampooed.

Front desk staff was super nice!

Quite place to stay

Couldn't find my reservation and then didn't have what I requested.

Quite place to stay

• Reviewed: 25 September 2015

Service was excellent!

The food served in the restaurant was very poor.

Service was excellent!

• Reviewed: 24 September 2015

The rug are dirty and sticky under foot. Find another place to stay

• Reviewed: 19 September 2015

Very dated

There are also 8 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.