Reviews of Ace Hotel New York 4 stars

20 West 29th Street, NoMad, New York, NY 10001, USA

#150 of 415 hotels in New York

• Small Room

I felt like my room should have been for a 25 year old male Music or Advertising exec. Self consciously cool. There was a guitar in my room. I toggled between feeling cool and feeling like the oldest person ever.

Very central, good restaurant, cool room.

• Mini Room

My room had a bit of a funny smell - kind of damp or something. And would have liked a pair of slippers (unless I didn’t see them?) - other than that, I loved it!

Very cool and quirky hotel, my room was even equipped with a record player and records (so retro!) and an old-style radio was on when I entered. There was modern art on the walls, lots of snacks in a basket and I loved the design of the robe provided - kind of like a sweatshirt! Has a very cool feel. Loved the entrance, too, and I loved that the hotel was buzzing even after midnight, there was music in the lobby/lounge area and a lot of people were hanging out, some people were on their laptops working, others were with friends. Felt very inviting! The staff were super friendly, as well. Loved it.

• Small Room

Nowhere near enough light. I felt like It was night time 24 hours a day - they need way way more lights in the room. Also it’s just generally Too expensive. The restaurant is also overpriced.

Great location, friendly staff

• Small Room

The lobby is beautiful but it is constantly *full* of people on laptops using the wifi. As a guest just wanting a drink at the end of a long hot day it was all but impossible to find a seat - we ended up having to sit separately from each other. There is an area that is reserved for guests but it is pretty tiny and was always full.

Courteous and helpful staff, compact but well equipped rooms, excellent speedy room service, great location, very clean.

Everything was great.

We loved that Stumpton Coffee was in the lobby, my husband got a great shave next door at Rudy’s, and our room had a pencil sharpener.

• Small Room

Room was small. Furniture felt worn. Plumbing fixtures in bathroom could use repair (damage to shower controls, porcelain tub and ceramic floor tiles in bathroom.) Toilet was substandard. Lighting in room too harsh. Air conditioner was noisy when activated. Room layout and design did not match photos on hotel site.

Room was quiet and dark. Very clean. Lobby, bar & restaurant and common areas were great.

• Medium Room

There were several small annoyances in our room. We were here on some very warm and humid/damp days and the air conditioning really didn't work. The tub faucet was leaky and despite asking to have it looked at, it continues to leak. There are often events in the lobby that are very loud, making it not a super pleasant place to hang out.

Our room was very quiet. It overlooked a space between buildings, so the view was pretty horrible, but the quiet was great. The bed was quite comfortable, though pillows could be firmer. The Stumptown coffee place was wonderful. There are several subway lines in nearby walking distance, though they aren't right around the corner.

• Mini Room

The size of the room and bathroom was small compared to other hotels. However it is still worth. Visiting NYC you will probably not be in your room much except for sleeping and showering. There is not closet so it would not be a place I would stay if I couldn't keep my things in a suitcase neatly or if I was staying for more than 3 days probably. I was in the city for 2 days so this was perfect.

The theme of the hotel was nice. Had a clear vintage feel. Full size shampoo conditioner and body wash is always a plus. It haf all the essentials (ironing board, iron, blow dryer, fridge). Location is right in the middle of everything. Subway entrance not far at all.

• Mini Room

There was one staff member who was unfriendly, he was the first greeting I received when I walked up to the counter upon arrival. I didn’t interact with him again and the friendliness of the other staff made up for this one employee.

• Bunk Bed Room

I had to change rooms as the first room’s doors wouldn’t close and it smelled like mildew. My second room was a little better but it wasn’t very clean, the TV didn’t work and the hot water kettle leaked. There also wasn’t and tea or coffee in the room that I could find. The whole place has a distressed-chic decor but I think it looks cheap and dirty. It seems very popular and the rooms don’t get the attention they need.

Staff was nice, good location.

• Medium Room

Either an appliance in my room or something in the corridor outside made a noise roughly every 5 minute throughout the night. The room was a little underwhelming for the price.

• Small Room

Mini bar and facilities were very expensive. $9 for a bottle of water. There was a kettle in the room but no tea or coffee which seemed odd. Also the Breslin Bar is not officially connected to the hotel, so you can’t pay on your room. Oddly though they supply Room Service. The set up is confusing. Both times I had breakfast at the Breslin I was asked if I’d booked because they were busy. Who books for breakfast in a hotel? Third time I ordered room service - which was fast and excellent.

Hotel had a great vibe and the location was perfect

• Mini Room

Small, old room, street noise, poor shower configuration, TV didn’t work, phone didn’t work, staff was unhelpful, but the room was about the worst I’ve ever stayed in. Blanket smelled as if it had never been cleaned

Location, lobby bar atmosphere

• Mini Room

The hotel bore no relation whatsoever to The Ace in London which was the bench mark/the reason I booked. ie Why do these hotels have the same name with all that implies?

The room was a calm oasis.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Our AC didn’t work the first two days on a 90 degree weekend. When we told them about it, they said they fixed it, but they didn’t. Then we asked to move, and the room was suppose to be ready by 3, but wasn’t until 515. No apology by front desk staff.

Very cute clean hotel. Unique and centrally located.

• Medium Room

The decor was surprisingly dated and worn down. The bed had a dip in the center from use.

Love that stumptown is right downstairs- bets coffee ever. The hotel is in a great location.

• Mini Room

We couldn't figure out how to work out the AC and the windows would only open a little bit so were quite hot most of the time. The downstairs reception/bar area is way too dark 24/7 - can barely see where to sit. We were told off for bringing a take-away coffee, even though it's from the coffee shop in the building and we had to wait to check-in. I didn't feel 'special' in that area, considering I'm a paying guest. But all an all, just minor mentions!

The location could not be better! The hotel is quirky, different, super clean and trendy. We felt like home! The small room exceeded my expectations, it was definitely bigger than I thought and well planned. Great amenities and always spotless, quiet and a beautiful room.

• Small Room

A tad dark, but that's only compared to Ace DTLA and Ace Palm Springs which are so bright and airy. It also could have been how gloomy it was the days I stayed there.

Super comfy bed, really nice and awesome staff - complimentary upgrade included! They made me feel really welcome, but also gave me the privacy I needed.

• Small Room

The size of the room was rather small...

The location was excellent. Also, the lobby situation from where you can access different shops as well as hang out with crowds visiting just for a coffee or a drink is great!

• Small Room

Rooms were very dark, as was the main area - appreciate that was part of the atmosphere of the place, but I had to use my phone light to navigate!

Very cool - made you feel cooler than you probably are

• Bunk Bed Room

One of the guys at the Front Desk was so cool, so cool, that his coolness was a bit off-putting.

The staff was amazing. There’s a lady at the Front Desk that unfortunately I don’t remember her name, that was super friendly, seeet and accommodating. It was a pleasure talking to her each time. Housekeeping was awesome.

• Mini Room

The bed in this room was too soft and curvy. Was surprised of that. Wasn't like this before. Maybe needs a refresh? ( room 1025)

The general ambiance is great. Everything is nice about the decor. The bed sheats are amazing, the soap and towels provided are amazing.

• Mini Room

Room is way too dark, heating + a/c are fussy, elevators are WAY too slow (expect lots of waiting to get between floors), and noise from hallway can be heard through doors.

Hip spot, great restaurant, good atmosphere.

• Medium Room

Room had poor lighting and some walls painted black, very dark.Shower was only a rain head which made showering difficult, if you didn’t want to wash hair, requiring a shower cap. No body lotion was provided, but front desk gave some when I asked.

• Small Room

In my first room there was a problem wit smoke, and I was moved to a new room. The problem there was heat, which was either on or off.

Location was perfect for my conference venue on 5th Avenue, and the bed was comfortable. I also liked the opportunity to dial local radio stations for news and music of my choice. There was also an incident with security issue at this point which I felt quite unhappy about.

• Mini Room

I was on 11th floor and the water pressure in shower was barely enough to wash my hair. Unfortunately I did not discover it until the morning I was checking out (I stayed only one night), when I was rushing off to an event. It's completely unacceptable to not have proper water pressure in a hotel room. For a hotel, which markets itself the way Ace Hotel does, this is definitely a mark down. I won't be staying here anytime soon.

• Medium Room

I don't like the fact that there is rarely a place to sit in the main lobby as it's full of non-residents taking advantage of the Hotel's free wifi. This is an Ace Hotel 'thing', but it's pretty annoying for residents wanting a place to sit and not listen to people bigging themselves up, whilst nursing a single coffee all day..! The staff could do with turning the cool stakes down a notch. One particular receptionist seems to think pretending to misunderstand what you're saying is in some way endearing. It's not...it's just plain annoying. Be aware on booking room service that they add a delivery charge of $3.50, plus an 18% service charge. Then when the bill arrives with the food they add in again the chance to add yet another service charge. If you weren't aware you might unwittingly add another 18%, therefore paying 36% service...bit cheeky and quite misleading. Other than that it's a nice hotel. Just a few minor tweaks and it could be great.

The location of the hotel is great for those wanting to go up and downtown. The rooms are a really good size for NY. Do ring the hotel beforehand though if you require a room facing 29th and the Empire State building, otherwise you may be placed on the Broadway side facing a building site. We did this and they were super quick to change our room. The feel of the hotel is fun and lively. Both the restaurants are very nice and the cocktails are great, though their espresso martini is a bit odd..! Despite the noise of the hotel lobby you can't hear it upstairs. The rooms are comfy and the beds are huge. The bathroom is a good size and they provide you with lovely products. The room bar is well stocked and the addition of a record player is a nice touch. In all it's a great place to stay and worth the money.

• Mini Room

mattress was too soft for my back

Live and breathe like local... typical studio apartment in New York that you can feel in their room design and size. I just love their SMEG fridge with lots of options inside

• Medium Room

The hotel bar was always filled with ppl on MacBooks? Rele odd no atmosphere and seemed to be people's offices away from the office.

Location was amazing loads of nice places to eat nearby.

• Mini Room

The only thing that bothered me this time is that I asked for a late check out and they charge you for that. I never had any problems leaving 2 or 3 hours later, but had it here.

It has been my 3rd time at Ace and I really liked it. It has a great location - very close to the subway station, great restaurant and cool decor. The small room is really small, what isn’t really a problem for me.

• Small Room

The only bed in the small room was too small for 2 persons (I was travelling with my 17-year-old daughter). It wasn’t clear when booking that there would be only one bed (I had wanted 2 separate beds). I asked for an upgrade (for 35$ extra) and the medium room was fine.

The location and some of the objects and decorations. Also the free wifi was good.

• Mini Room

1. A bit dusty and not spacious bathroom with a complex water supply regulation. 2. Quite dark lobby but it’s in line with interior hotel design and style.

1. Outstanding location. You’re in the middle of everything in the city, heart of midtown on the Broadway and 5th Ave cross. Main sightseeing and shopping of both downtown and uptown are just 5-10 min drive. Many you can reach by feet. 2. Cool ambiance and various facilities. On top to huge lobby area with a bar, you can experience coffee-house with an awesome salty mocha to start your day, nice bar and meat dining with good cocktails and cool lamb burgers, plus highly recommended oyster bar. Photo booth is a fun! 3. Great value for given price. While paying less than for an average NYC 4* hotel you meet friendly staff, free WiFi, easy check-in/our administration and even in the mini room you can comfortably sleep with your partner (if you’re not 2m tall of course).

• Mini Room

We were on the 11th floor in March and it was VERY warm making sleep challenging!!

Location of hotel was excellent!! Room was small but efficient and clean.

• Small Room

The pictures are a straight-up illusion with everything concerned to lighting, both the rooms and the lounge. The whole facility dark (even slightly depressing) for my whole 6-night stay. Wouldn't recommend this atmosphere to anyone.

• Small Room

location is perfect, booked a small room but turn out quite spacious (fit 2 people comfortably), love the interior design esp. the bathroom. Check in & check out was very smooth, staff are helpfull

• Small Room

Rooms are dark and minimalist and my TV wouldn't turn on. Felt like boarding house. I would have given up the hip lobby scene for a more comfortable room.

The lobby scene was fun, the attached coffee shop was great, location is very convenient, and the staff was excellent.

• Medium Room

Minor, but would have been nice to have a coffee machine in the room and extra space in the mini-bar to store personal items.

Solid hotel lobby bar and bar staff - The Breslin- very laid back and casual scene that doesn't try too hard because it doesn't have to. Main lobby area seemed more dedicated to housing remote offices - which is what I think the hotel is going for to keep the place buzzing, which it always is. Café served very excellent (but pricey) hot coffee. Location was perfectly central for us celebrating an anniversary and wanting to explore NOMAD, Mid-town, Lower East Side and Highline areas - most of which we cabbed to and from, though. Medium room was quite large (maybe we lucked out), very quiet, great shower and had a very relaxing leather sofa to put the feet up and have a glass wine and take a mid-day pause. Would stay again.

• Small Room

The hall is always very dark, and even the room was always dim lit, even turning all the lights on. That is part of the hotel atmosphere, but if you need to do any work from your room can be a bit of a problem.

Staying at the ACE Nomad was a charm. The room was surprisingly spacious and the bed very comfortable. I didn't have a chance to interact much with the staff, but any request I had was attended to quickly and efficiently. The hotel has a very particular mood to it, with a distinctive design that I personally liked a lot. Definitely a good deviation from the standard business hotel. Recommended for tourists as well.

• Mini Room

i was on the 2nd floor so the music from said lobby bar disturbed me when i was trying to sleep.

lobby bar was a great place to start or end the evening

• Small Room

The hotel is loud. The party in the lounge carried up to the 7th floor many nights. The room was so small & dark it was very difficult to function. It was very hot & there was not ability to control the temperature in our room.

The staff were very nice

• Small Room

If I am going to have any complaints at all it is that the towels and the bed sheets were very stiff. I surivived though, and it was a extremely small complaint.

The overall aesthetic of the hotel was beautiful. I enjoyed the unique decor and the original art pieces in each room. The photobooth in the lobby was by far my favorite added bonus of the hotel! The bartender was friendly and polite.

• Small Room

The room overall was a bit like a college dorm room with so/so lighting. I was on floor 3 and the street was very noisy, so ask to be higher up if you want good sleep. Also, the windows were thin and it was hard to manage the temperature in the room.

The bed was really comfortable. The bathroom was great.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Only complaint was the shower. It looks great and the water was hot and pressure good but one felt like you were being attacked by the shower curtain. Some sort of glass on at least two sides would be better. Function over design preferred here!

Room size was amazing for NYC! Great "vibe" and atmosphere in the lobby. Location was excellent! Away from the craziness of Time Square but walkable. Great proximity to Penn Station and The Garden if you are attending a sporting event or concert.

• Mini Room

the temp control in the room only allowed heat or off, no a/c. but the windows could open, so it was possible to cool it off that way.

cool design and great location. staff is super helpful :)

• Small Room

Expensive for tiny room. You can walk around the bed. That’s it. Courtyard view pretty depressing. Crappy WiFi in room. Staff was unable to help with downloading some large files. Reception staff is a bit uninterested, not unfriendly or rude, but also not very enthusiastic or welcoming. Room service and bar menu needs way less meat, c’mon guys it’s not 1995 anymore.

The faux retro style is fun. Love the young professional vibe. The bar staff is very friendly. Very tasty food and cocktails. Stumptown coffee yay! Location perfect.

• Small Room

In terms of design, the room (and the hallways) felt like a slight upgrade from a dorm room. Room and bathroom felt cheaply decorated. I get that they are going a for something hip, and I personally like staying at places with a distinct personality, but I would describe the design of Ace NYC as "poor hip". The WC in our medium room bathroom was so high, my feet were a foot above the ground (I am 5'3") The lobby is too dark, feels dingy.

Great location - very central without being in Midtown. The room was larger than the average NYC hotel room - they gave us an upgrade. The hotel restaurant was great. The restaurant had great design and character, staff was friendly, and I liked the sourdough pancakes. Having a great restaurant on-site was very convenient for us the morning we arrived. Room was neat and clean.

• Small Room

The water in the bathroom (sink and shower) turned brown for a few seconds at least once during each use. Made it scary to brush teeth, especially for a pregnant lady. This didn’t happen for our friends so maybe it was just our room.

The front desk staff were nice and helpful. Gave us an upgrade.

• Bunk Bed Room

My sink was clogged and water leaked onto floor. I slipped on wet floor and fell really hard. So, that was a big bummer.

Personnel is very friendly and very helpful.

• Medium Room

I have stayed at The Ace for nearly 4 years in a row and i feel it could do with a pick-me-up. The decor is dark and dated, living in the past. The interior style is like a boys university dorm and the rooms are incredibly dark. The room service menu hasn't changed in years and there is very little vegetarian options. If you only have a shower in your room, it only has the over head option.

It is very affordable if you book in advance.

• Bunk Bed Room

No table or chairs in the room. Shower flooded the first two days, water didn't go away. Very cramped layout and hardly space to put stuff. Shiwerdoor opened the "wrong" way so very unlogicak to enter. Our "view" was into someone's apartment and this so.eone happened to be an older guy who didn't like to wear underwear every morning. Room was very dark.

• Bunk Bed Room

Lobby bar staff were not as attentive as I would have liked the first time I popped by. There was much too much alcohol in the fridge, it seemed disingenuous

The location is among the best, especially for a business trip. Likewise the access to the subway was good. Room service was very good.

• Mini Room

The staff are super friendly and helpful. They stored my luggage safely and reliably whole days for both check in and check out days. They helped me change a booking mistake I'd made and even helped me with a room upgrade! Amazing people :-) The lobby atmosphere is super cool and chilled for drinks/working/meetings. Cafe downstairs serves great coffee and kombucha (if you can handle the long line..) The area is great esp if you like Korean food and hustle bustle. I'll definitely be back!

• Mini Room

The room was stuffy, and I couldn’t control the temperature (I couldn’t choose between heat or AC, it was only auto). I had to keep the window cracked the whole time. This hotel is centered around people who come hang out at the lobby, and not actual guests. The worst part was the jackhammer outside our window around 7am every morning. When we mentioned to the front desk upon our check out, they mentioned how they could have changed rooms, but why put me in the room in the first place? They have to know from other guests it’s the worst possible room facing construction.

Location was the only redeeming factor.

• Small Room

In the room: - the light of the bathroom was continuously decreasing its intensity - the fan coil was quite noisy and not heating the room (despite the temperature set on the thermostat) - the hydraulic system was very noisy at night (continuous whistle coming from the bathroom of the next room) - hot water not always available

• Mini Room

It's a hip hotel but, honesty, it is not comfortable, especially for solo travelers. The room is too dark and grey. I don't like to have newspapers on my wall. The lobby is cool but there are too many non-guests hanging out and you could hardly find a seat for drinking coffee. The location is fine, but to many shady stores nearby. The staff was also lukewarm, very strict regarding check-in time.

• Medium Room

The mattress was not very nice. Also the covers on the windows on the bathroom doors do not cover as much as one would like.

The room had some very cool additions (i.e. record player, guitar, refrigerator). It also had a couch which was a nice added comfort. The room service was tasty and the coffee was to die for. The eggs were particularly good. The view was ok.

• Medium Room

The area around the hotel is really filthy. That was a turnoff. I loved the coffeehouse in the hotel. Maybe a little dark in our room.

Pet friendly!!! Great location. Funky. Good price friendly staff

• Mini Room

The room lighting is a bit dark, but that's part of their style. Also, the bathroom in my particular room was on the small side.

It's my fave hotel, period. I stayed there when they had first opened. They became very trendy and expensive, so I only stay there now if I can get a deal. But it's such a great place to stay; I almost don't want to give them such a great review, it's hard enough to get a room there. If there is availability and you can get a deal, grab it.

• Medium Room

needed an extra lamp in the corner of the room by the sofa as was very dark.

STaff were incredible, Rhys made all my bookings and really made the trip smooth and easy!

• Medium Room

Our room wasn't clean. I get that it's supposed to have a vintage feel but everything was super dusty especially the lamps and mostly seemed worn down, in need of updating and a serious deep cleaning --especially for the price.

Winter cold!

Location, friendly staff (Yaz), uber cool yet unpretentious. Great places to eat just around the corner, and New York’s best coffee within the hotel!

• Mini Room

Completely ignored by bartenders in the lobby bar. It wasn't busy. They literally cleaned glasses rather than wait on me. I sat at the bar and tried to make eye contact. It's NY, I guess I should shout at them? A girl came up next to me about 5 minutes after I arrived and got served. There was no till transaction, she handed the guy a $20 and he put it in the tip jar. She told her friend she never gets charged for drinks. I was eavesdropping because, well, she was standing right next to me and I was trying to figure out how this works. I guess in order to get served you have to know the bartender and then you get free drinks.

It's very cool and hip. Service at the front desk was excellent.

• Medium Room

lighting in room was inadequate. had to use my cell phone flashlight to look around. Tub/Shower was inconvienient - too small, had to be very careful about not falling over.

location. Staff was helpful

• Small Room

Very friendly staff, felt at home didn't mind helping with directions ect.

Decent sized room, amazing view of the empire state building. Comfortable to sleep.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

I appreciated the supplies in the bathroom; body lotion would have been nice. Also, there was no coffee ( I did have my own Via with me, thank goodness!)

I was quite taken by the friendliness of the staff. I also loved the minimalist decor AND the Martin guitar in our room! We were only there one night. The beds were extremely comfy. I love the plaid wool blankets

• Mini Room

Waiter at bar area in the morning gave attitude because I was drinking coffee from coffee shop on the couch and not from the bar/rest

Cool place, very good location. Great atmosphere overall

• Medium Room

Room was a bit too dark. Water in mini bar was too expensive. Lobby was always crowded with people not staying in the hotel.

Hotel was very hip. Room was clean, comfortable and spacious. Nice gym downstairs. Coffee from Stumptown coffee roasters. Great food in the restaurant.

• Small Room

The style of the hotel tries to be essential and a little bit country-ish. However it tends to be too minimal for the paid price, I think. Also, the bathroom may be a little bit more modern and provide more space to place your own things.

I think the atmosphere in the hall and the restaurant are two key pieces of this hotel, very enjoyable and cozy. You really feel at ease. A little bit punk and underground (which is something I like) if compared to most "standard" hotels in the area.

• Mini Room

Despite the great reviews, unfortunately I had a bad experience. First of all the lighting was absolutely awful; there was one main light in the corner of the room which barely lit up the room, so in the morning I could barely see anything. Trendy mood lighting gone wrong. But worst of all was the noise from the pipes - whenever somebody in another room (above, below or adjacent, I'm not sure) flushed their toilet or had a shower, the whole room shook with an incredibly loud noise which was unbearable. I didn't sleep at all due to this. I only stayed one night otherwise I would've asked to change rooms.

Beautiful hotel and trendy design. Good location and friendly staff.

• Mini Room

It was nearly perfect. Such a cool hotel and comfy rooms, can’t really complain about anything except that snacks may have been overpriced? But hey it’s New York everything’s expensive.

The mini room was perfectly sized for a single person traveling. Not too small, not too many unnecessary amenities, perfect. And perfectly priced!

• Small Room

Loved the vibe of the hotel with the bars and restaurants filling the lobby, had a real buzz. Having great coffee at the doorstep was a wonderful way to kickstart the day. Loved our room (medium external room). Staff were helpful and friendly. Decor was artsy and fun! Location is perfect, we walked everywhere!

• Mini Room

There was a draft from the windows, it felt like I was in a polar vortex, I asked to switch rooms and the same problem with the other room. The blankets had hair all over it, when asked for a new blanket, that one was full of hair.

Location was great.

• Small Room

I am sure some people might find the music too loud in the lounge in the evenings, but I didn't mind it.

Lounge area is unique. Great place for working (long tables like an old-fashioned library, and comfortable chairs). Plus a trendy bar area with bar, high tables, and comfy seats. (A bit on the noisy side in the evening for talking though.) Bar food is yummy. Rooms are large enough but not expansive, interesting industrial design. Not for the I-like-the-Ritz-types, but replete with essential goods and fun snacks. Both attached restaurants are exceptional. Location in Midtown is great. Notable restaurants galore, close to subway, walkable uptown and down. Love it. Even has an ATM in the lobby.

• Medium Room

bathroom smelled like mold, water from shower spilled all over the bathroom floor, bed was nearly college dorm sized although a larger one was requested in advanced.

location, restaurants, stump town, view from room. The bearded concierge was a gentleman and very helpful (I forgot his name)

• Medium Room

I didn’t like that a paper bill wasn’t presented and instead I had to wait for an emailed receipt overnight after checkout to establish and check exactly what I had paid for.

I liked that the service was not impersonal and there was particular attention to detail to put guests at ease.

Browse Ace Hotel New York traveller photo gallery