Reviews of AKA Rittenhouse Square 4 stars

135 South 18th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103, USA

#9 of 75 hotels in Philadelphia

Nice, but for that price I expected regular housekeeping and washer/dryer.
    • One Bedroom Sky Suite with Den

We were a family of four and as they only clean once a week i had to keep asking for fresh towels, I would have preferred a more thoughtful service by providing extra towels, extra tissue boxes, extra trash bags, atleast changing the sheets twice. I’m used to being spoiled when I go to hotels which I really wasn’t here and had to ask for most of the things or I went out and bought it. Also it would have been nice to receive 2-4 water bottles complimentary on a daily basis. Housekeeping was very basic, they didn’t even put extra trash as in the room considering they only come once a week to clean. They changed the sheets but it it seemed like it wasn’t ironed which wasn’t nice. Also when I checked in windows were super dusty and my kids get allergic so I called them to clean it which they were happy to do so. Resturant made eggs which was too greasy and oily. They brought up the food withhout covering it. Rooms aren’t the same as the pictures but it’s still good. Price was high considering I found another less pricey hotel with an extra bedroom and bigger living room and a washer/dryer. They could have added a washer/dryer for that price

Great location Nice room setup Welcoming staff

See you in October we will be booking again room 701
    • Studio

This is the best stay I have had in a very long time, I am telling all my friends and family to stay there when they come to Philly, clean, love the kitchen had every tool I needed. big bed slept like baby.....

The unit that we were staying in had cockroaches and they...
    • Two-Bedroom Suite

The unit that we were staying in had cockroaches and they were very large. This is unacceptable to me and we asked to check out and were refunded the days that we had prepaid. They did not refund our money for the one night we stayed. It was a huge inconvenience and wrecked our stay in Philadelphia. The staff at the front desk were friendly. There were no valet service and many homeless beggars right outside the front door. I can not recommend this hotel.

Comfortable apartments and great downtown location
    • Studio

water pressure in the shower was very weak

I stayed in a little studio, and it was pleasantly clean and very well equipped with kitchenware, had a very comfortable bed and enough space to hang clother and put your suitcase. Check-in was fast and staff was very friendly and welcoming.

I would consider otherwell know hotel chains before I consider this property again.
    • Studio

For almost $300/night, the hotel lacked the finishing touch service of room amenities. LOW SCORE: No valet parking; had to walk 1.5 blocks to parking garage in rain. LOW SCORE: room amenities, specifically no coffee, no mini bar,no bottled waters. The hotel didn't have complimentary coffee for guests in the a.m. And they charged $4 per cup.

The staff and front desk were very welcoming. The on-site bar and restaurant was cozy, modern, we only ate desserr but was delicious, the server we was technically knowledgeable of the food compositions-well versed. The only 2 things we rated this hotel poorly on were: LOW SCORE: No valet parking; had to walk 1.5 blocks to parking garage in rain. LOW SCORE: room amenities, specifically no coffee, no mini bar,no bottled waters. The hotel didn't have complimentary coffee for guests in the a.m. And they charged $4 per cup.

Terrible
    • Studio

It’s so old that when I moved in the room, there was a smell like the room has not been used for years. Facility is also old that the air con is the very old fashioned one used in probably 20 years ago and it makes noise as long as it is turned on. It’s not clean either that dust can be easily spotted on the clothes hangers. Bathroom is very small or simply call it tiny. Quality of tissue is not good. Towels are rough. I don’t know why it’s rated 4 stars. Or, is the room I stayed an exception? Then, an explanation is needed.

Unexpected luxury in the one bedroom with a Den. I wish we stayed longer!
    • One Bedroom Suite with Den

That parking was offiste, but it was a block away.

We did not dine there. The bar looked very cozy and cute, although we didn't go there either. We had prior reservations because we had not looked into the restaurant onsite.

Great location. Horrible parking situation. Very friendly & professional staff.
    • One Bedroom Sky Suite with Den

The so call "sofa bed" is actually a Fulton bed & is located by the kitchen waaaaaayyy too far from the bedroom. We couldn't leave our 4-yr old son there. So he ended up sleeping on the living room coach instead!!!

The staff was really friendly & professional.

Great location, but hard to find and park.
    • One Bedroom Suite

Great location, but hard to find and park. Traffic can be tough around the area. No room service but a nice restaurant and bar accessible from the lobby. The suite was comfortable and would be perfect for a longer stay.

Would definitely come back.
    • One Bedroom Suite

The tub shower drained slowly. Restaurants next door vented the air outside our windows, so I could smell food in the bathroom. However, with the bathroom door closed, the issue was solved.

The location can not be better, central yet safe and not noisy, ideal for exploring the city's sights and fine shops/restaurants. We walked everywhere. What I like most is that I could adjust temperature to my preferred coolness while the building was heated beyond my comfort. Never seen dual A/C controller.

Pleasant stay.
    • One Bedroom Suite

Elevator set up quite frustrating. Bathroom could have been finished to a higher standard, bit tired in places. We asked for a bathrobe twice but it never came. Didnt replace toiletries on second day. Expensive room rates.

Location great. Lots of space in the suite. Bed comfy.

Never again
    • One Bedroom Suite with Den

Shocker, no valet, no doorman, slowest single lift in the world, old rooms, worn furniture, stupid room layouts, ~400usd a night not a single instant coffee/tea/sugar, barren lobby, zero service. Day we left the bell boy didn't start until 11.30 when checkout was by 11??? Every other hotel within 100 mtrs had valet and bellboys. Zero parking out the front to even unload car. List goes on and on

Gym

I liked the location.
    • Two-Bedroom Suite

The hotel needs to be updated. You can hear the noise from the street and the air conditioning was extremely noisy. They also gave us a parking pass for the wrong garage, so no discount.

I liked the location. The suite was very spacious and clean. The staff was nice.

Residential units convenient to Rittenhouse Square, area restaurants and shops. Not a hotel.
    • One Bedroom Suite

This facility does not offer the traveler the amenities you expect in a $400/night hotel room such as daily maid service, coffee or tea, sugar, creamer. It has a full kitchen for residential guests but for the two nights we were there it meant we had to go out just to get a cup of coffee. None available in the lobby either. I didn't come there to go shopping for coffee, filters, cream and sugar. I did notice that there was a black buildup (dirt/soap/mold?) on the shower door base bracket that needs to be cleaned more thoroughly. Our towels were not refreshed daily nor was the bed made. The lobby is very sterile, not welcoming at all. It's more like a nice apartment building in the city. We have stayed in 5* hotels in Paris and London and know what to expect. This did not meet our expectations. The primary problem is that it doesn't serve the itinerant traveler well, but would be well suited for an extended stay.

The location across from Rittenhouse Square was convenient to the wedding we came for. Many options for dining and shopping within a few blocks. The staff were very nice.

Great location, great accommodations, great value, recommend
    • Studio

Toilet ran, but no big deal, dings and wear on the room but all in all it was great and borderline 5 star rather than the 4 it was listed as

Really liked the location and the size of the room. The staff was awesome! More like an apartment than a hotel room feel. Amazing location, nice having A bar and A kitchen right there too

Great location. Nice staff
    • Studio

No coffee The remote was sketchy. Sometimes it worked. Sometimes it didn't.

My only concern was there was no coffee or kuerig. There was a coffee maker but no supplies for it. The kitchenette was great though.

Don't stay at this hotel!
    • Studio

Day 1 morning shower, water shut off completely and I was left standing in the shower full of soap. Day 2 night, I was trying to kill a cockroach at 1am and was unable to sleep the remainder of the night!!!

Great place to stay if a bit expensive.
    • Studio

The bathroom was small - sink was located so that I would hit my head on the shelf above it - not helpful for shaving either. Otherwise the shower, toilet and ventilation were fine. The studio apartment lacked a comfortable sofa although there was a comfortable chair for watching TV. Given it's urban location there were lots of street lights that showed through the blinds at night (and which were reflected by mirrors in the room). So the room wasn't very dark at night - bring eye shades if a dark room is desired for sleeping.

Well stocked kitchen. Lots of great eating places nearby and a beautiful park and neighborhood outside the door. Room was quiet. Everything worked well. Staff and location were great. Staff were extremely helpful and friendly, great service. Excellent on-site restaurant. Easy to get to all the major tourist sites.

Great location, Great room and nice hospitality.
    • Studio

The in room air conditioning started leaking water in the middle of the night. I placed a glass to catch it and told the front desk in the morning.

The suites were arranged perfect. Kitchen, bath, and room to hang out in.

Wow!
    • Studio

The room was completely accomodating with every comfort of home. Nice windows, furniture, and space. The staff was helpful and attentive. Good booking for the price absolutely! I was impressed.

Short and sweet
    • Studio

I think the rooms are a little too gray and neutral but this is just a meaningless decor note. The hotel is really lovely, clean, and comfortable. The staff is excellent. Always impressed with level of service we receive when we stay here.

Staff was very friendly and accommodating. The bed was very comfortable. Love AKA.

Spur of the moment trip to the zoo
    • Two-Bedroom Suite

No valet. I love valet parking so that was a hassle trying to get the luggage and two toddlers easily to the hotel.

We always book based on location when going to Philadelphia and have always tried to stay close to Rittenhouse Square. Our kids love the park and it's convenient getting to shopping, dining and entertainment. This was a last minute booking so we spent more than normal for a stay in the city, but when we checked in we were pleased to find that we had been bumped to a suite with amazing views. Our only regret was we stayed for only one night.

I had called ahead for tour and site information.
    • One Bedroom Suite

I could have used some tissue in the bathroom.

I had called ahead for tour and site information. Tiffany could not have been more helpful and courteous. Everybody at the front desk was most helpful with checking in and securing taxi cabs.

• Reviewed: 11 May 2017

Not much for the Money
    • Sky Studio

Very few amenities in room - no drinking glass of any kind in the room - had to request it. Not refrigerator. Did not like the shower in the bedroom instead of the bathroom. These are basic things one gets at a Hilton Garden Inn or Courtyard. This is supposed to be an upscale "boutique". All the above would have been OK if the price were not $500 a night which was due to the Light Fair convention in town.

clean room and decent wifi

Primarily, I feel their posting on your website suggests it...
    • One Bedroom Suite

Primarily, I feel their posting on your website suggests it is another Rittenhouse Square hotel, one I've stayed in before. The AKA part did not seem prominent enough, leading me to believe I was booking in another Rittenhouse Hotel, one I much prefer and was looking forward to staying in. I was greatly disappointed when I arrived at the AKA Rittenhouse - not nearly as nice a hotel and a miserable parking situation. Very disappointed in Booking.Com - you need to do a better job in vetting the postings. I feel there was deliberate deception by the people creating the posting. This is the first time I've used Booking.com and you'd have to go a long way to get me to try and trust it again.

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

Location and privacy but....
    • Studio

The bathroom was TINY, it had the smallest sink I have ever seen. Towels were like sandpaper. No water, soft drinks or snacks stocked (for purchase). Ridiculously large kitchen in a small studio room.

Great location. Small number of rooms. Boutique feel.

Location to the things we wanted to see.
    • Studio

The noise level on Friday night. It sounded like there was a door slamming contest in progress between 1:00 & 3AM.

Location to the things we wanted to see.

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

Nice and comfy, but not awesome for the price.
    • One Bedroom Suite

Bed was too soft, furnishings were worn and showing some signs of staining from use. Also, tub/shower combo not good for safety reasons (I have arthritis and it was difficult to step over and into the tub to take a shower). Separate walk-in shower much better.

Large, comfortable room though bathroom was small. Bedding was great/comfortable and I liked that they had a variety of pillows on the bed.

Stylish home away from home.
    • Premium One Bedroom Sky Suite

Only one elevator, so a bit a wait is common. Wasn't a big deal for my stay but could be if the hotel is full.

The renovated sky room are beautiful and large, recommend only those rooms. The older rooms are less expensive but very dated and depressing.

• Reviewed: 10 November 2016

A better location would be impossible to imagine
    • Studio

Overall I loved it, but I was surprised that amidst all the beautiful and luxurious furnishings, the windows had only translucent blinds on them. Should have black-out shades or curtains. Also surprised there were no toiletries.

Service and room were great. Great great great. So lovely.

• Reviewed: 26 October 2016

Very nice hotel with nice restaurants nearby.
    • Two-Bedroom Suite

It would have been better to have sound proof windows to the outside. We could hear people during the middle of the night in the street below yelling and arguing.

Enjoyed that there were two rooms with King beds in each. Very nice staff.

• Reviewed: 2 October 2016

Nice apartment style rooms. Not sure it is worth the price, but there is free wifi.

expensive. No little amenities like coffee or teas especially with a cuisinart brewing machine that would grind the beans, But philly was really busy for this time. It turned out that Michelle Obama was in town at the same time so I don't know if that contributed to the lack of rooms available. My friend said her room did not have a deadbolt and she was uncomfortable.

Good location. Walkable to many shops and restaurants andRittenhouse Square. We walked to Chinatown one night for dinner. There was a cuisinart coffee brewing machine with thermos carafe in the kitchenette.

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

The room was amazing!
    • Studio

The room was amazing! An apartment in the heart of rittenhouse square for a great deal! Will definitely will be coming back and recommending to all our family and friends.

• Reviewed: 17 August 2016

Superb beyond words!!!
    • Studio

The Staff was ultra-professional and very friendly, welcoming and amenable. I even left a tie in my room and received a call that afternoon asking me the address where the tie should be forwarded to. I would recommend the hotel to anyone travelling to Philadelphia.

• Reviewed: 13 August 2016

Good for space but needs a little adjustment for better function.
    • One Bedroom Suite

As a home designer, I notice all things function related of any place I go. This is really a small apartment and the furnishings are very minimalistic, which is ok, but there are things that would cost little which would greatly effect the functionality of the rooms. The bath has no real vanity area. It is just a sink in a cabinet. There also is no towel ring near the sink to place a towel to dry your hands. My husband broke a bottle of his cologne because the area to place such things was so small and the floors were marble and unforgiving to dropped objects that were made of glass. There is no place at all for a woman to put on her makeup. This could be helped by placing a mirror over the desk in the bedroom and placing a lamp on the desk. I used the mirror on the backside of the closet doors to do my hair and makeup. The rooms were clean and comfortable except for this lack in the bathroom and also, I hate those little biscuit pillows so many hotels are going to. A king bed should have king pillows. We have a very beautiful home and so it is hard for us to find any place to stay that is ever as nice as our home. For the money , location , space and friendly staff, I would recommend this hotel/apartment facility. The receiving area is very dark and depressing, and could benefit from some lighter colors and furnishings.

We liked the space. My husband and I sleep very different schedules so we like an area away from the bed to be able to be up and not bother the other person. The staff were very friendly and responded quickly to any complaints.

great area evan on my own safe and frienly
    • Studio

don't have a negative would recommend this hotel

i enjoyed my stay at the aka very much staff were fabulous area wonderful

The air conditioning was too loud.
    • Sky Studio

The air conditioning was too loud.

Comfortable beds in spacious 2 room suite
    • Two-Bedroom Suite

Could have had coffee and tea makings in the suite's otherwise well equipped kitchen

Comfortable beds in spacious 2 room suite

Apartment style hotel room. Beautiful, clean, loved it.
    • Premium One Bedroom Sky Suite

No coffee in the rooms! Just a coffee maker!

Good location, nice room, poor details and service
    • One Bedroom Suite

One towel, no Kleenex, no waste basket, no shampoo or shower gel, tv didn't work

nice hotel , great location
    • Studio

ac leaked water, had to put a plate and cloth to catch the drips

Amazing room, great staff

Amazing room, great staff

We hope to come back and stay again.
    • One Bedroom Suite

A little pricey, but worth it.

Location was perfect.

Overall stay very good.
    • One Bedroom Suite with Den

Bathroom could have been larger for such a big suite

Room very large and comfortable. Quite and peaceful

Great quaint hotel with an old city feel, on the square.

Bathroom was very cramped

I enjoyed having a stove top and refrigerator.

Size, location
    • One Bedroom Suite

No coffee or bottled water in the rooms

Size, location

Philly for a night

No free parking

The location was terrific, the room was very well laid out and the bed was very comfortable.

Really great location.
    • Two-Bedroom Suite

Really great location. Clean. Easy. Good efficient service.

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

Spoil yourself at this luxury hotel on lovely Rittenhouse Square

Roomy suites- luxury accommodations 👍

Philadelphia Centre Stay
    • Studio

Shower and toilet in our room small space

Self catering facilities

Excellent space and location
    • Studio

Plumbing issue in shower during torrential rainfall

Apartment rather than just a room

nice square
    • One Bedroom Suite

not enough soap no coffee in room

nice square

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

Convienient location and services.
    • Studio

Studio bathroom TOO SMALL!

Convienient location and services.

Awesome experience!
    • Studio

Rooms are awesome, location is great!

• Reviewed: 3 June 2017

Great Stay at AKA
    • Studio

Very spacious suite with a full kitchen, couldn't ask for more!

Location, comfort, and style
    • One Bedroom Suite

I wish there were more deals with other parking garages near the hotel.

Beautifully appointed rooms in a central location in Philly.

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

Great location. Close to shopping and restaurants.
    • Sky Studio

Only one elevator. No drop off parking.

Location, decor, staff

• Reviewed: 12 April 2017

It was a bit loud on the 3rd floor.
    • One Bedroom Suite

It was a bit loud on the 3rd floor.

• Reviewed: 25 March 2017

Big rooms and clean
    • One Bedroom Suite

Very clean and big rooms

• Reviewed: 17 March 2017

Couple nights away with my daughter who just returned from Deployment. Can't wait to return!
    • One Bedroom Suite

Excellent location in Philly. Near restaurants and shopping. The staff was amazing.

• Reviewed: 5 March 2017

Fantastic weekend getaway spot

It was cold out. ;)

This is such a lovely property. That staff is hugely helpful, the suite is gorgeous. We will definitely be back!!

• Reviewed: 26 December 2016

They called the cops because I had weed, one of those we found a half smoked joint moments...

Housekeeping

• Reviewed: 15 November 2016

Great beds.
    • Two-Bedroom Suite

Garbage truck noise early am.

Great beds. Great location. Great staff.

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

Suite instead of single room.
    • One Bedroom Suite

Off-site parking. Bathroom lacked adequate towel racks.

Suite instead of single room. Helpful staff.

The shower!
    • Sky Studio

The colour scheme is a little austere.

The shower! And there was no unnessesary junk piled around the room.

Excellent staff!

Excellent staff!!

• Reviewed: 12 November 2016

Everything but.
    • One Bedroom Suite

Windows. Only single glazed so rooms can be cold but more important is the noise issue without double glazing.

Everything but...

• Reviewed: 12 November 2016

Great locale
    • One Bedroom Suite with Library

Couldn't extend check out time - even 30 minutes. In my experience highly unusual.

Great room with separate library overlooking Square.

• Reviewed: 3 November 2016

A great base for a trip to Philly!
    • One Bedroom Suite with Den

Poorly lit apartment, could definitely do with a few more lights

Beautiful apartment, great bed, great kitchen, lots of space

• Reviewed: 3 November 2016

Very small bathroom

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

Excellent stay
    • One Bedroom Suite

All staff were extremely pleasant and helpful.

• Reviewed: 30 October 2016

amazing trip
    • Studio

everything, location,clean,comfort and the amazing staff

It was very clean and spacious and the location was great.
    • One Bedroom Suite

The bed was not very comfortable.

It was very clean and spacious and the location was great.

The perfect weekend!
    • One Bedroom Suite

We stayed for my sisters 25th birthday. The staff was so nice and helpful, and the room was absolutely gorgeous!

• Reviewed: 16 October 2016

• Studio

Better signage....very hard to find...drove past it twice