Reviews of Alpha Inn and Suites 2 stars

2505 Lombard Street, Marina District, San Francisco, CA 94123, USA

#199 of 230 hotels in San Francisco

6.2

Good value for what we got.

We were on the 4th floor and there were no elevators so the walk up and down (especially with our luggage) was a little tough. No ice machine.

The location was convenient for sight seeing. There was limited free parking for the motel so we were fortunate to get a spot to keep our rental car parked for the duration of our stay. Room was spacious. Beds were pretty comfortable.

disapointment in Cow Hollow.
    • Queen Room

the room we received wasnt cleaned The one next door was clean and stayed empty, but we weren't allowed to move. there was no mini-fridge (as pictured), fourth floor no elevator.

there was no food and beverage service.

It was a cozy fit for the price it was
    • Queen Room

I did t like the stair way felt like I was going to fall through

I likes that all gates remained locked and that there was a Walgreens right across the street

Room was quite big
    • Standard King Room

It was hard to open door. If you want to open the door you have to try at least 7 times. There was no breakfast, there was only tea service.

Room was quite big Mattress was comfortable There is a bus stop right corner of the hotel. There is a Walgreen opposite of the hotel. There was extra lamps for lighting. There is a good refrigarator. There was also sofa to get relax

• Queen Room

Booking.com promised a room with a view of the city. The only view I had was of a wall. Although it was a nice wall, and it technically was part of the city, I had hoped for more. Found hairs in the shower upon arrival.

Staff was beyond rude, a woman hung up the phone on me and...

Staff was beyond rude, a woman hung up the phone on me and would not pick up when I called back multiple times with a billing question. Zero stars, would never recommend or return.

Comfortable and very clean place. Besides the incident we did stay the night before and were content
    • Queen Room

Our room was not ready when we got to the floor so the housekeeper offered us a clean room and had us double check with the front desk. They approved it but ended up giving us a tiny room. The room we got was good for a single person. And when we went downstairs they said they accidentally gave us the room intended for the guests trying to check in before us. Im not sure if we got charged more for a big room but we ended up in a very small room.

It is a clean facility. The housekeeper was very nice and helpful.

It was suitable for what we wanted but were disappointed about the pool being off limits
    • Standard King Room

We booked this property as it had a pool and we were never told it would not be available It looked clear and clean but was not available for patrons

It was in the area we wanted to stay and the staff were friendly they changed our booking to downstairs due to my leg injury

Great location, good price, free parking.
    • Queen Room

Windows need cleaning. A/C is rather loud, but SF is such a windy city that it is sufficient to open the window :)

Great location, good price, free parking. Nice receptionist. I would stay there again.

The views from our room. WOW.
    • Standard King Room

The shower water temperature fluctuates a bit more for my liking and the lack of an elevator.

The location, the size of the room and the view from the fourth floor room is amazing. Views of the Golden Gate Bridge, Palace of Fine Arts, Alcatraz and the financial district. It's roughly a $12 Uber ride to the city center. We will definitely be returning and requesting this same room.

The girl that was in reception during the night shift(June...
    • Standard King Room

The girl that was in reception during the night shift(June 8th) was really rude to us when we told her we could not find a parking space available (the hotel advertises it has parking, when reality is there are very few parking spaces available, definitely insufficient for the number of guests and rooms the hotel has). She literally told us “if you want a hotel with guaranteed parking go to a 5 stars hotel”. No words. (By the way, she had parked her own car in one of the two handicap spaces available...).

It was very enjoyable

Small towels

My husband and I enjoyed our stay, we felt safe and the room was very clean. The staff were lovely and would stay there again. Free WiFi was awesome!! we were able to park our rental car too.

Large room and in convenient neighborhood...some room upgrades but not other basics.
    • Standard King Room

No central heat or air to control temperature...small space heater provided. Low water pressure in shower, hole in wall in bathroom filled with tissue paper, bathroom looked like it wasn’t finished renovating (towel bar removed and not replaced, mismatched shower fixtures, etc). There was a big dildo left on the fire escape right outside the living room window!

Large room with bay windows and couch, mini fridge, close to a supermarket and restaurants. Some room updates but looked unfinished.

Some rooms are good, some may be not renovated. Good value for money after all.

Dirty and shabby carpet. So was the blanket. The old fridge was making the terrible sound - had to turn it off.

The new and clean shower - I assume we had the renovated one. Good cleaning service. Wi-fi worked very well for me - was fast and I had no issues connectin to it. The bed was ok: linens and pillows were clean. Didn’t have issues with parking. Heater is old but worked very well

We found it expensive for what you got.

The room, though large was very sparse. Lighting was poor and the hanging closet was in the bathroom without a door. If staying for more than one day and need to hang your cloths you run the risk of getting them damp from the humidity of the shower.

The location is ideal if you have a car. There is a bus line which is handy to get around. Free parking and WiFi is also available at this family operated motel. Close to many within walking distance.

Good place overall, needed to stay near work for a week due...
    • Queen Room

Good place overall, needed to stay near work for a week due to long shifts. The hallway was a little musty but the room was just fine, clean, comfortable bed, good rates for San Francisco. I was even able to stay an extra night at the last minute.

I would stay here again

It was a little hot in there and the windows don't open. Friendly staff gave us a fan.

Great location, parking onsite and walking distance to everything else we wanted to do. Very roomy.

Very hot or very cold.
    • Standard King Room

Very hot or very cold. Parking was awful, first come, first served with very narrow spaces. Almost every car scraped a pole or wall. WiFi almost non-existent. Had to leave to download mail.

I enjoyed my stay and definitely would recommend
    • Standard King Room

The room wasn't ready when I checked in, waited for 10 min but no big deal. Swimming pool was closed, but I don't swim anyway.

Friendly staff was helpful. The room was very clean and comfortable. It came with an ironing board with iron, coffee maker with coffee and fridge with microwave. Great location

Staff was very friendly, and a good value for the San Francisco area. I would stay there again.
    • Standard King Room

Could use better lighting around the bed/night stand area.

The size of the room was like a apartment, large walk-in shower and two queen size beds.

The location was perfect for The Palace of the Arts.
    • Standard King Room

Lighting was not good. There needs to be lights on the night stands. There was no closet. There was a disgusting stench of cat urine at the entrance. No fine dining options in walking distance.

The location was perfect for The Palace of the Arts.

Room was spacious & loved all the windows.
    • Standard King Room

Bed was hard, comforter thin & dated, towels were thin as well.

Room was spacious & loved all the windows. Seeing top of Golden Gate & Palace of Fine Arts from the room was a thrill!

• Queen Room

Man at the desk was so friendly and accommodating. Room was clean and tidy. Didnt get in the pool but it looked nice. Great value in a lovely neighborhood! Walgreens across the street and 1 block from shops and restaurants on chesnut st.

Great price performance
    • Queen Room

Room seemed in the middle of renovation and still in need of some updating No reading lamps Plugs not working

Great price performance. Free parking Bus stop next to hotel for public transportation Nice new bathroom Comfortable bed Close to restaurants

Good value, large room, nice bathroom, two queens, Wi-Fi worked

Large room, two queen beds and extra space, nice clean updated bath room. Was able to use surface transportation easily to get anywhere in San Francisco.

The location was nice, close to the seaside and walking...

Wifi didn't work at all for me. Also it was generally quite expensive in relation to the quality. In our rooms we could hear the noise from the cars in the street very loudly during the whole night. Finally, it was quite cold and the heating was poor.

The location was nice, close to the seaside and walking distance from Lombard street, presidio, Golden Gate, etc. Also room was quite big.

I would try another hotel in the area.
    • Queen Room

- parking lot was small - one space was used for trash just thrown like nothing - hallways were freezing cold - the room had a small heater - no screen on the bathroom window - light fixture was missing - bathroom was dusty from remodel - bed was not as comforable - the bed sheets were old

I liked the location was near the event I was attending and there is food everywhere so I didn't have to drive.

Convenient location for me at a reasonable price.
    • Queen Room

At end of stay I had 2 bites on my leg. Could it have been bugs? After a 5 nite stay there should have been more if it were bed bugs. Perhaps room 110 should be checked. Lamp shades were tacky looking when lights were on.

Room was fairly quiet except for people above some mornings.

Stay Away...Worst hotel in Marina Area of San Francisco!
    • Queen Room

The hotel felt more like a rooming house instead of a hotel. I didn't like the it was very cold at night and only had small heated fans to heat the room. The maid still came in the room even if you had do not disturb on the door...appear to be looking for something to steal. Make sure not to leave anything in the room that is of value cause it's not safe to do so. Also the hot water stopped working and no one was at the office to report and had to bath in freezing cold water. Very bad managed property, bad front desk, bad maid service! Always someone's hair on the towels and they didn't change out sheets. If I hadn't already paid 7 days in advance I would have left the first night! This place is not for people visiting from out of town...it's for people that don't have a home and just looking for a place to sleep at night. The worst experience ever! If you are traveling to San Francisco don't stay here no matter how cheap it is! I've learned my lesson and will never stay there again!

I didn't like it I hated it!

Perfect hotel with free parking, that's already worth a...
    • Queen Room

Perfect hotel with free parking, that's already worth a lot. The room was good, comfi bed, small coffee machine, microwave and fridge. The bathroom is big and convenient with a good shower. The wifi worked well. The neighborhood is fine, we felt save all the time and used Uber to get around. We paid around $4 to get to Fishermans Warf or Market St.

• Queen Room

No natural light in the room. Very dated, tired and somewhat depressing (although bathroom was new and nice). A lukewarm welcome at best on arrival.

Location good.

My stay at the Alpha!

I didn't like that the shower had leftover hair from previous guests. There was an uncovered 5x5 inch hole under the bathroom sink, noticeably an eye sore. Water pressure in the shower was low.

Free convenient parking, although limited if you return late in the night from an event. Easy check-in and check-out. Price was reasonable.

The motel was better than we expected.
    • Standard King Room

The motel was better than we expected. It had a fridge-freezer, coffee machine, microwave and kitchen sink. Lots of space, great walk-in shower (brand new), big beds and lots of tv channels. Free parking and great location. Easy to find.

• Queen Room

The accommodations were horrible for a long steep stairs to get to a room with the beat up bad a view of the homeless encampment the lady running the front authorized my card for $300 then tried to charge it for another $142 and then decided to tell us that she didn’t except debit cards and then we couldn’t stay after she charged our card stay away from this place this is a nightmare all around horrible experience

We'd stay there again.
    • Queen Room

Room door had an inside lock, but door was "wobbly" in door jam. Probably could be kicked in easily, but rooms faced a courtyard which had a single small entrance located off the street, so was not concerned. Surrounding area felt safe. Insufficient on-site parking spaces if all rooms are rented, so, yes, first come first served.

Relatively inexpensive motel in SF, but amazingly clean. New tiles in bathroom and glassed in shower. Carpets unexpectedly clean. Mattress sufficient, could not feel partner move. Pillows could be better. Small refrigerator kept liquids cold and freezer worked well. Table and chairs in "kitchenette". I think there was a microwave too in our double queen room. TV good with pay per view and HBO available if desired. Disabled parking spot near entrance. Sparkling good sized swimming pool (if you catch a warm enough day for swimming in SF, the surrounding building protects from any wind).

One night, we survived any longer for us 2 old folks no way. I don't do 4 steep floors of stairs
    • Queen Room

ALERT NO elevator, big issue for us we had extra luggage for our cruise, I have COPD and almost 70. They put us on the 4th floor very steep steps, if it wasn't for 2 young men from Australia who carried our suitcases up we would have been in serious trouble. Room appears to be under renovation, light fixtures and bulbs missing, 1 outlet by bed dead,toilet paper holder broken, smoke detector wrapped in plastic. There are other comfort related issues that didn't affect safety. Don't stay unless you are in good shape and traveling light.

Close to fishersmans wharf, view of golden gate from our room because we were on the top floor.

Overall a really nice place to stay I would visit again and recommend to anyone.
    • Queen Room

Needs new air conditioning as the current one is old and extremely noisy.

Great location, right by a bus stop, supermarket, lots of restaurants and a great breakfast spot. Super comfy bed, newly refurbished bathroom with a great shower and lots of amenities. Room was spacious (we had lot of luggage) and it had a fridge, microwave and coffee maker.

Cozy room near Golden Gate bridge

No elevator.

Well-equiped room, with nice and bathroom, coffee and tea, tv. Rich in natural light, had a perfect view to a garden with exotic plants and wildlife.

More like a motel but great location
    • Queen Room

The hotel is more like a motel. There's very little service. Note especially that there is no breakfast. I had no problem with that, since I knew it beforehand. The roadside room was quite noisy throughout the night but I specifically asked for it for the view and it was worth it. With earplugs and heavy jetlag, no problem with sleeping.

Location is great. I asked for a room at a high floor and with view to the Golden Gate and I got one! My stay was only for 1 night and I really enjoyed looking at the bridge a lot. Coffeemaker and cups in the room. Airconditioning machine in the room. Comfortable bed. Good blinds. Given the high hotel prices in San Francisco city, this is very great value for the money.

We should have drove down Lombard Street, we would have found a more suitable hotel
    • Queen Room

No Fridge, small room, squeaky floor in corridor, could hear neighbours through wall, someone tried to open our door at about 3am, plus door next to us. The receptionist organised our first ever Uber ride to Pier 39 , Charged us 30USD, returned by taxi for approx. 13USD, felt she took advantage of our inexperience

Good price for San Francisco, but don't expect much.
    • Queen Room

Room fairly beat up. Holes in wall/wallpaper where things had been hung and removed. Metal heater (I think) contraption hanging on wall which looked old and dangerous if used - since there was a plastic floor heater in the room, I assume the wall unit didn't work. Door to hallway didn't seem to close properly. However, bed seemed new and sheets, bedding very clean. Bathroom looked recently redone and was in great shape. Good water pressure and immediate hot water. Only problem was a toilet plunger placed in the bathroom which I thought should be kept in a maintenance room or somewhere other than a guests room!

Location was good especially if using public transit. Easy, short public bus ride to Golden Gate Bridge, Wharf, East side, etc.

A nightmare.

On 4th floor, no lift so had to haul 2 suitcases up 3 flights of stairs. Stains on floors, broken plug sockets, broken fire sprinklers, broken toilet roll holders, iron collapsed when stood up (lucky iron wasn't on), staff weren't very friendly, poor location and in general, just dirty!!! Would NOT recommend.

Its a cozy really big room.
    • Queen Room

Its a little bit loud because you have a big street infront of the house.

Its a cozy really big room. The mattrasses are really comfortable and you have everything what you need.

3.0
    Never again!
    • Standard King Room

No heater, no parking, horrible staff. Heater did not work, dead bolt on door was broken, and unsympathetic staff told us to "go somewhere else" when we asked for them to be fixed. No reserved parking for guests - first come/first served or park on street which is impossible in San Francisco. Filthy pool.

easy to find

The man on reception was really lovely and helpful, was...

The man on reception was really lovely and helpful, was greeted with a big smile. Also, the room was great with a little living area and a newly fitted bathroom. Would definitely recommend.

The location of the property was near a lot of the sights...
    • Queen Room

The WiFi was really terrible, if we could connect to the WiFi after a few tries, it was terribly slow. The room we had was next to a very busy street, in the room it sounded as if you were out on the street.

The location of the property was near a lot of the sights that you can see in San Francisco.

Not bad
    • Standard King Room

Cleaning lady was rude. Talking in Spanish saying inappropriate comments thinking I didn't know Spanish. Clerk was nice and friendly. Needs to upgrade to ac units .

Location and upper corner floor was good.

Down and out in the marina district!!
    • Queen Room

The room was shabby. The pillows were thin. The paint was peeling. There was no place to hang anything Piles of "stuff" outside

Spent as little tome in room due to no place to sit. Just the bed a 1 filthy desk chair.
    • Queen Room

I requested ground floor. Was told they would hold a ground floor room. When we arrived the desk person was clueless about the the request.

Bathroom was clean and nicr

Good, clean, lower cost room
    • Queen Room

Located away from almost everything. Clean but renovation not finished

Brand new bathroom. Bed comfortable. Rooms are being renovated in a coordinated and scheduled manner that does not impact guests. Place should be nice when done, not fancy but comfortable.

Good place to stay while in San Francisco!

There was a pool, but it was green and the water probably shouldn't be touched.

Very spacious room. Looks like they redid a lot of the room quite recently, very nice. Good shower

Great Staff
    • Queen Room

I like the location, it's very quiet a convenient for bus transportation and near that are great restaurants. The owner is great very reliable and friendly.

Disapointed with Alpha Inn.
    • Queen Room

The motel is not very clean. All the equipments are not working well. The personel was not helpful and got mad at us when we asked them to make the cafe machine in the room work. We are very disapointed with the motel.

Poor upkeep and cleaniness!!!
    • Queen Room

Advertised heated pool and it was green. Room was supposed to have iron and microwave. Also was suppose to have king bed... They failed thru all of this. No extra towels or blankets.. Was told there were no available extras. Got hand towels instead of bath towels. Parking was horrible, while owners parked in handicapped spaces with no placards or handicapped license plates

Location and staff
    • Queen Room

The parking was good if you have s compact The pool water was black Room smelled moldy, walls had cracks and holes We had a 4th floor room, no elevator Pictures are deceiving

Location and staff

Location was good.
    • Standard King Room

Room had holes in the wall refrigerator was dirty looked to have mold. 1 bed I laid in made me feel itchy had to switch to the other bed felt clean and slept comfortably. The room smelled musty. The bathroom was clean.

Location was good. Had to park in the neighborhood, it was safe.

• Reviewed: 8 June 2017

Spacious place in perfect location. Your home in SF.

Spacious room, big twin bed, perfect amenities : refridge, microwave, tea + coffee, perfect location just across Walgreen so you can buy grocery stores in just a minute walk, very helpful and friendly staff. I will definitely rebook this place when i visit SF again!

Spacious room in excellent location with very affordable price !

I wish they can serves us some breakfast :).

The staffs especially people who clean the room is very helpful. They even gave us room to put our luggages. The room is very large with 2 queen bed size which suitable for 4 persons. Right accross the hotel there is Walgreen and laundry place. Very convenient for stay longer time at San Fransisco. I asked for the downstairs and no smoking area, and they provide exactly what I need. They also provide you with San Fransisco maps to help you explore the city. And another plus : check in time is very quick !

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

Very large room, needs serious updating of carpet. Value for money as good location to dining.

Carpet needs to be replaced or removed. It smells. And if pool was not in use, should cover as green water looks unappealing.

Rooms very large. Even has nice kitchenette area. Did not expect that. Location was perfect. Near dining, palace of fine arts.

• Reviewed: 11 May 2017

Value for money, good location.
    • Standard King Room

A toy lion went missing from our room and was never recovered.

Great location -- basically right on the strip, very close to the last stop of the monorail.

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

Have very low expectations; they will be exceeded
    • Queen Room

Lack of staff. There was hardly ever anyone working... luckily my friend and I are low maintenance and didn't need anything...

Good location near the water. Public transport galore. Vibrant neighbourhood. Huge room.

Boutique hotel with beautiful view.
    • Queen Room

4 floors but no elevator. That was my only gripe. Very limited parking, but I was lucky enough to get a spot each day.

The staff was extremely friendly, but I hope you speak Spanish if you need maid service. The view of the bay and Alcatraz on one side and the Golden Gate bridge on the other were fantastic.

• Reviewed: 6 April 2017

Awesome will come back again recommended to everyone.
    • Queen Room

Maybe if they had some breakfast at least like a bread and fruit with your coffee

Everything was great I felt safe slept comfortable very clean and very nice cleaning lady Ana

• Reviewed: 26 March 2017

Impatience or poor serving attitude is hurting to the image of a motel.
    • Standard King Room

The receptionist at the reception counter seems quite impatient ,who did not explain much whether breakfast are available, nor he told me whether the Wifi available at room and what is the access code for it.

The room is quite spacious, although the carpet and the chairs are a little dirty.

• Reviewed: 19 March 2017

Bad experience

do not be fooled by hotel features and photos. rooms smell bad. a general cleaning is done but not enough. should not go in expectancy.

bed width, hotel location, free parking

• Reviewed: 2 February 2017

The location was nice and the rooms were spacious.
    • Queen Room

During check in we had to wait for an hour for our room to be prepared. The wifi was poor. The corridors were always dirty and there were towels and sheets lying on the floor.

The location was nice and the rooms were spacious.

• Reviewed: 4 November 2016

This is not a good hotel to go to.
    • Standard King Room

They're horrible! Im never gonna go back there. Im disappointed!

This is not a good hotel to go to. I payed 4 my room just like everyone else. They yelled at my boyfriend 4 no reason. The old man and his slutty housemade. I cant believe they were very stereo type. I would never go there again. Im pregnant and they treated me very bad. They only care about money.

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

Great location and views in some Suites.
    • Standard King Room

Chairs in suite were disgustingly dirty. Past fire damage evident on the ceiling. Staff not overly friendly.

Ask for suite in building next to office. Top floor has amazing views of GG Bridge, Alcatraz and the bay.

• Reviewed: 26 October 2016

Good for what you are paying...
    • Queen Room

The room that I booked was not the room I got. I was supposed to have a fridge and there wasn't one. Disappointing because I couldn't keep water or extra food. Plus it was much smaller and didn't have the amenities promised. There where no curtains just shutters didn't like that very much.

The Alpha has a pretty good location, located in the Marina district it is close to food and not a terrible walk down to the Pier. It also is easy to navigate from. I caught my Hop on Hop off Bus from across the street! Uber's had no trouble finding me, and there is a Walgreen's across the street! Free WiFi and great cable for when you want to relax in the room. Even though it was right by a main road I didn't find it too noisy.

• Reviewed: 19 October 2016

You get what you pay for. If you want the Sheraton - pay Sheraton prices!
    • Queen Room

Customer service could have been better. There were niggles at the booking in, and a lot of "you must this", "you mustn't that" whenever we spoke to the guy at the desk. Particularly irritating was that when we came back early afternoon after a walk, and went to get a glass of fruit juice from the machine in reception, we were grudgingly allowed one, but told "juice is only for the mornings". If you only want your guests to drink juice in the morning then put up a sign telling them that! Room was also a bit damp and the AC not the greatest. Overall though, it's a budget motel, you get what you pay for, and I wouldn't rule out staying there again for the price.

The location was excellent. The room was spacious and reasonably clean. The wi-fi was free and very useful for a traveller from overseas.

• Reviewed: 7 October 2016

A disgusting place to stay!! DONT do it!
    • Standard King Room

Where do I start? Very dirty, disgusting smell in the building & room, furniture & carpet were gross, uncomfortable bed, filthy moldy bathroom that was very tiny. We didn't even want to stay there but couldn't get a refund. No elevators, had to carry everything up two flights of stairs. We were advised to empty our car. I almost want to throw up when I think about our stay there! I would NOT recommend this place to anyone!

Nothing! It was horrible!

• Reviewed: 20 September 2018

Quiteness
    • Queen Room

Smell

Quiteness

It was ok. It met our needs as we were out all day
    • Queen Room

It was very noisy... the room was warm but could not open the window due to noise.

Convenient to the bus routes

Lovely place.