Reviews of Red Roof Inn Santee 2 stars

9091 Old Highway 6, Santee, SC 29142, USA

#8 of 10 hotels in Santee

6.2

6.1

Read more- opens a dialog box

• Reviewed: 16 November 2018

For the price it was about what I expected. No bedbugs, clean bathroom and bedding (except the top
    • Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

The extension cord with four things plugged into it, the dirt on the inside of the bathroom door, the dead cockroaches on the floor (they were very small) and the non working alarm clock.

Good price, decently clean, comfortable beds, fridge worked.

• Reviewed: 15 November 2018

Well-Used Motel is Best Left Un-visited
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The bathroom sink stopper was closed and no apparent way to open. The breakfast was underwhelming. The outlet next to the bed was not working to operate my cpap

easy to find

• Reviewed: 29 October 2018

Perfectly adequate location for an overnight stay while traveling north or south on I95
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

While there were no service issues unaddressed primarily because because we didn’t ask for any, we only saw one staff member from check in at late afternoon till next morning.

Eggs not extra fluffy because there were no eggs, ha-ha. Weren’t really expecting any though in a Continental breakfast. Room was a bit on the shabby side as so many of these similar places are but was very clean and comfortable. Had everything necessary for a one night stay where amenities were not an issue. Also liked that the facility is only one story so vehicle can be parked right outside room in a well illuminated spot.

• Reviewed: 27 October 2018

Location was good.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Nobody around at 6:00 in morning. One styro bowl and one coffee cup for 3 mornings. I elected to choose McDonald's each morning.

Location was good.

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

This is what happens when you rent the first thing you find in an emergency

I didn't like there were spiders everywhere outside the doors of the Hotel I did it like that I woke up 10 minutes late for breakfast Hotel was empty and the front desk clerk did not let me get breakfast cuz I was 10 minutes late with an empty Hotel in the room the AC wasn't working right there was mold in the ceiling then the Lights Went Out on our last day then we were sweating like dogs in a cage also when I was checking in I told the man only take 250 for my card and 80 bucks from the other card he took the whole 320 from one card and overdrafted me not very happy with Red Roof Inn needs to be a little bit more updated and they need a better staff

Not much the beds were little comfortable but the sheets and towels weren't that clean

• Reviewed: 30 August 2018

Right off 95
    • Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

Mold on sinks, tub and walls, when we complained they said it was black caulk! Really? They did give us another room but wasn’t much better

Right off 95

Convenient to I-95;
    • Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

The bed was too hard for me but my husband liked the firmness of the mattress.

Convenient to I-95; clean room and for an older motel the was in fairly good shape.

Convenient to I-95.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

They didn't have my reservation. The lady who check me in was not exceptionally welcoming. The room condition was not great - there was a nail exposed on a broken piece of molding which scratched my mom's arm. Had planned to tell them about it when I checked out, but there was no one to tell. Didn't see any food in the breakfast area and wasn't told about breakfast, so I am guessing it was not included.

Convenient to I-95. Room was clean and tidy.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2018

The location.
    • Superior King Room - Smoking

Open electrical outlets, fan in bathroom had no cover on it. It was creating an electric shock hazard, the mattress was old and stained. Security latch wasn't secured properly, anyone could just force the door open. Overall I wouldn't stay there again. The exterior looked good.

The location. The exterior looked good.

• Reviewed: 28 July 2018

Room was perfect.
    • Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

The desk clerk did not stop talking on the phone. I felt like a third wheel. She wrote my credit card info on the back of the check in sheet. I was uncomfortable with that.

Room was perfect.

Room was clean, comfortable and relatively updated.

For the price, nothing. It's right off I-95--so not the most charming location

Room was clean, comfortable and relatively updated. Great deal for the price--we needed a convenient place to stop for the night on a cross-country trip and this was perfect--especially after a couple of sketchy spots we stayed at along the way.

Even though there was an error in my booking date, the staff...
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

AC was not turned on prior to our arrival, so it was a warm night for us.

Even though there was an error in my booking date, the staff was willing to work with me and provide rooms for the correct date of our arrival. Check-in and check-out were simple and the rooms were clean.

If you ever heard term you get what you pay for?
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The entire facility needs better upkeep. The lighting was terrible, I guess because of dark painted walls. The walls had started to crack, it was to be a non-smoking and smelled just like smoke. Actually, my night clothing had the scent of a smoker, neither my daughter or I smoke. There was visible settled dust on the lamp shades and furniture. Not again for me.

Close to the event venue I was attending.

Worst motel ever
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

They charged my credit card twice, room smelled of cigarettes although I required a non-smoking room, I noticed in the morning something weird was seeping through floor, the worst place I've ever visited and all I was looking for was a roof over my head to sleep before driving on

This was the worst hotel experience we have ever had.
    • Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

We will never stay at this Red Roof Inn again. Everything just seemed dirty. At breakfast I wouldn't even drink the coffee or juice because the machines were dirty looking. We couldn't get out of there fast enough. It seems like the town of Santee SC does not set the bar for what makes a hotel good very high. We are choosing another town for our future trips.

I will never book Red Roof inn again.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

-shower head was broken -floor was dirties -had bed bugs -leftover breakfast -when I asked for pancake spray, the reception said with annoying tone" you don't need the spray because we don't have the pancake.

NONE

not worth almost $150 for 2 nights
    • Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

cobweb was in corner of ceiling; hair dryer and cord was disgusting; commode loose from the wall; commode lid loose; missing toilet paper holder; mold/mildew around the ceiling; room smelled like cigarette smoke; air conditioner ran all night without cutting off at all; towels were well worn, thin, and rough; pillows were a joke

location was fine

It was a 2 star hotel, that is what we expected and what we got.
    • Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

Floors were filthy, towels flimsy, the bathroom door frame had been replaced but didn't fit and was not finished. The check in clerk was more interested in complaining about how he felt and how life was so hard on him. Had to request three times to get a receipt. The electronic door key had the room number on it, which is a security risk if lost. The free wi-fi never did connect on any of our devices.

Easy to get to from the interstate. The sheets were clean.

Easy access to RTÉ 95
    • Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

The young man who checked us in a had a sullen demeanor. The staff was was not available in the morning. People were ringing the bell and getting no response.

Easy access to RTÉ 95

Cheap, Great Location, but Won't Stay Again
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

People live at the property, loud guests outside room on a weeknight, breakfast wasn't fresh, bedding was hard and wasn't consistent from room to room... Had 3 rooms rented for family stay and some beds were soft but mostly all hard. Smokers all around too with cigarette butts laying on ground.

Location and Price

Location was great
    • Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

Bedding was old and raggedy. Cigarette holes in covers. Only 2 outlets in room and they were full. Unknown white powder on floor under bed. Shower and shower curtain filthy. Rough towels and wash cloths. Coffee pot on safe in bathroom. Couldn't use. Sooo unsanitary. Outlet in bathroom didn't work and had no plate over it. Peeling paint in room and bathroom. Didn't feel comfortable in room at all. Couldn't wait to leave.

Location was great

It met our 3 night need... nicely.
    • Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

It met our 3 night need... nicely.

Convenient location for one night stopover. Great location for group golf trips lasting more than 1 day. Breakfast was okay for the price, good variety of choice, better than 'hard boiled eggs'! Winchester, VA. Red Roof Inn.

Couldn't leave quick enough
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The door to our room was broken, the toilet paper holder was broken. The floor was sticky and it was not very clean. The whole place was vacant and in the middle of the night they rented the room next to ours to a family with like 5 kids who fought and screamed all night. Key stopped working 2x and I had to get it replaced. I wasn't expecting the Ritz but this was pretty sad. Stains and cracks in the walls and ceiling and general disrepair everywhere.

Ok for one night.
    • Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

The electrical wiring was routed haphazardly and outlets had broken or missing covers. The Flooring in the shower, commode area was loose. Very little information about the area eateries. Just wandered around to find something. Furnishings were sparse. No luggage stand. Outside air conditioner covers were missing or falling off. Not an inviting location. Breakfast was lacking salt and pepper. Exterior doors need paint.

The room was clean and secure. Wife says "adequate". Bed was ok.

Fair , but it was just a stop to rest on road close to restaurants and close off main highway
    • Superior King Room - Smoking

Unfriendly staff didn't greet politely, spoke in foreign language the whole intake , pushed paperwork in front of me but didn't say anything,,rooms should be checked to be sure that they are in good working order before and after bookings broken chair only 3wheels,dirty ice bucket,no ice,ac not working well, fridge didn't work

Comfortable bed,close to restaurants, close off the highway

I did not enjoy at all.
    • Superior King Room - Smoking

First of all, they didn’t have my reservation when I got there. The room described on the site was nothing like the room I received. The site says one check in time but when u get there it’s a totally different check in time. Then they gave someone else the key to my room, not realizing that it was already booked. After that I had people knocking on my door asking questions about how many nights I paid for and who I paid. The room was a little messy and nothing like the pictures shown. For the price I paid, Ive had much better stays.

Barely adequate.
    • Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

We think new owners just took over this motel and they had no clue about running it. The breakfast was non-existent at 8:30am even though the sign said it would be available until 9am. Also we stayed there two nights while golfing and there was no linen service the second day. A person stopped by our room who didn't speak English.. We will be more careful when looking at Booking.com properties in the future. Ed

not impressed.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Coffee was empty. Sausage gone by 7 am. Very runny grits, I assume. And worse, nobody showed up until 8:30 am to refill the coffee. I had to wait to check out because of no service. Also I was given a key to room 124. Somebody was already in there. They were very upset when I walked in.

None of the food. The coffee at the gas station next door.

Price.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Outside was not attractive. Breakfast items were not attended or refilled. First morning wss 1/2 cup of coffee only.

Price. Convenient to needs Liked having wood floors. Obvioisly an older business that had been tecently updated. Beds were ok. Chair was too low and not comfortable.

Not good
    • Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

Clerk was unkemt. Complaining. And didn't open for breakfast until my self and another patron rang bell for 10 minutes. Very poor service. Ive stayed here before and every thing was good. Must b new management.😠

Very strange, new furniture , sorry walls and light switch, air conditioner, difficult to understand
    • Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

1) first time we have ever felt unwelcome did not like my using a Booking.com reservation, typed up incorrect receipt then keys did not match room, attitude 2) remodeling done very sloppy 3) breakfast

There was some new furniture and furnishings (shower curtain), faucet (but they were next to an empty, rusty Kleenex box

Ok
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Security lock inside coming off wall lighting not good mirror area - hey y’all asked - I only stayed over night - it was clean

The inside security lock was loose screws very very loose Made me feel uncomfortable brought it to attention person cleaning He spoke no English physically point out to him

See my above statement close this dump down I

Nothing everything was horrible

Check in time was at 1pm I got there after 2pm and the room wasn't ready!!!I had a babyshower to get ready for. Bed wasn't made because everyone was at lunch! Bathroom wasn't clean like I was told it would!! Hair all in the shower and sink! This is one of worst places I've slept in ever!!! I would have been better off taking a shower or washing off in a bathroom sink!! This is how disgusting this place was!!! Never again will I stay at this place. People told me I should have gotten my money back... I couldn't even stay the night because the bed wasn't made. Then the owner had the nerve to ask me of I knew how to make up a bed.. This place needs to be shutdown. I can go on butI won't!!! Nastt!!!

Overall had a nice stay at this hotel . Very quiet. Wouldn't recommend the Pizza Hut .
    • Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

We were charged 20 dollars for early check-in . There wasn't much at breakfast. Our key didn't work several times. There was a small pile of dirt infront of the bathroom.

The bed was comfortable and the AC worked good.

The beds were very soft and comfortable!
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Shower curtain was filthy. I had to ask for a clean one. Terrible upkeep in the room.Refrigerator didn't cool, vent missing off air conditioner. People at desk either not there or unfriendly.

The beds were very soft and comfortable!

• Reviewed: 20 August 2017

We were a little hesitant because all of the rooms had outside entrances, but it was the best value.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Motel type accommodations so one doesn't feel as safe and secure, but it turned out to be fine.

The price and pet accommodation were very reasonable. We could walk across the parking to a Ruby Tuesdays for dinner and that was convenient. They offered freshly baked cookies in the lobby which was a nice touch. The breakfast room was immaculate with a very attentive hostess.

Cleanliness left much to be desired.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Cleanliness left much to be desired. The bathroom had no vent fan and the shower surround was not properly sealed as the water from the shower would cause fragments of drywall to wash down In to the tub while you showered. The room never really seemed to get "cool" with the AC running it's hardest. Room just seemed unkempt.

This was a gross flea bag hotel.
    • Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

This was a gross flea bag hotel. Honestly! I was embarrassed to be staying there! Old and rundown, repairs were needed everywhere... and where repairs had been done, they were "cobbed" at best. The shower was moldy and shower curtain was dirty, too. There was a big spider in it, too. Then I saw a big caterpillar on the floor as I sat down on the toilet!!! Coffee maker was dirty. Very strong men's cologne smell sprayed in the room to mask the musty odor...when I walked into the office, a huge waft of Indian food cooking greeted me as the non English speaking lady came through the door of her hotel/kitchen/home. Her son, who was outside in his late model Mercedes, came in to check me in.. required to pay in advance, because certainly no one would want to stay, or pay if they knew what was waiting for them😳 I couldn't wait to get out of there!! All I can say is The late Mr. Jim Truman is surely rolling over in his grave.. Red Roof Inn at its very worst. Horrible. Just horrible.

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR
    • Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

When we checked in she mumbled something about the addition of some sort of charge; another tax or whatever. I assume it wasn't a great amount, and who's going to argue after 699 miles of driving.

Hey! You get what you paid for; it is a basic property with a good breakfast. What more canI say?!

Its obvious hotel itself is aged,however, it has been...
    • Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

Its obvious hotel itself is aged,however, it has been renovated quite nicely,so the carpets are sorta new,but they need to be cleaned, and at checkout time housekeeping is cleaning rooms, didn't see any used sheets removed from rooms after checked out, that's the only thing that worries me the most,is that they may not be changing them after every use.

• Reviewed: 26 May 2017

Rude staff and run down facility-don't waste your money!
    • Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

The staff were horrible! The hotel advertises as a pet friendly hotel but they turned us away at 11:30pm when we were checking in (after driving with a baby and 3 dogs) because we had 3 dogs. The staff member, who said her name was Mina Patel, wife if the owner, Peter Patel, rude, completely unprofessional and disheveled (she had a huge stain on her shirt and unlocked the lobby door in house slippers). We had stayed at this facility 2 months prior with 2 dogs and the dogs were no issue. We decided to Star there again because it was a "pet friendly" hotel despite its general run-down condition, a tv in the room that didn't work, problems with actually getting into the room because of issues with the key (at the time the sane staff member actually gave us the hotel master key!). Overall the place is a waste and the staff was rude. We were forced to find a different hotel at midnight (after arguing with Mina for 30 minutes) with our baby and pets after a very long day of driving from south Florida.

Nothing-don't stay here!

Very upsetting front desk lady was very rude
    • Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

First I book room with booking.com for a price when I got there the price was much higher wouldn't rent room for price I got from booking.com had to pay much more will not use booking.com anymore

Room was clean n quiet

We had a good night's rest and our family was very pleased.

We left early and did not eat until much later! Coming off Rt. 77 S. the signs were not will mark until you're almost there. I almost turned around because it seemed we had went the wrong way, needs more Santee signs.

• Reviewed: 6 April 2017

I stay at this motel at least six times during the summer and have always had a good experience
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

When we first arrived at this Motel we were in another room which was supposed to be non-smoking but it wasn't and it reeked of smoke and there was even cigarette butt in the toilet but the owner was very nice and changed us out of that room right away

It was quiet and relaxing

this hotel did not meet other red roof standards
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Smoking

terrible .. I do not recommend it to ne 1 ! found bugs in the bed. fleas in the carpet. did not get the room that I reserved until the 2nd night of stay. the price was high for the poor conditions. very out dated. staff were not friendly. beds were old and hard. pics online do not look like the actual rooms.

nothing..i will never stay there again.

• Reviewed: 31 March 2017

Rude management.
    • Superior King Room - Smoking

Rude management. Facilities were so disgusting I'm shocked you allow your brand on this establishment. Filthy room. Paint peeling off walls. Lights inoperable. Drain plug for tub on floor. Broken furniture. Hole in bed spread. We like RRI because of pet but will never stay here again. Advertisement for "pizza"on room key when called said they never deal with that place. Again we are a big fan of RRI because you get a decent room at a reasonable price but this place was disgusting. We changed our room and only stayed because we had traveled for 9 hrs and were exhausted.

Only stay here as a last resort
    • Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

The room was in ridiculous disrepair. There were screws and nails sticking out of the wall. It looked like someone with no experience did the construction in the bathroom. The paint was peeling, caulking around the tub was mildewed, floor tiles were lifting from the floor, etc. It made me very uncomfortable with a small child. The sheets were incredibly scratchy, and the pillows felt like they were filled with packing peanuts...very strange and not pleasant. My husband barely slept because he was so uncomfortable. The breakfast looked like whoever furnishes it just doesn't care. There were literally 2 yogurts in the fridge (at 6 am), no coffee left, a few kinds of pre-wrapped pastries, and cereal that sits there in dispensers. There was a waffle machine. I had a waffle, and it was fine. The front desk reception was not friendly, but not rude, either. Just clearly didn't care to be there. Overall, not a place I would ever stay again, and disappointing value for the money. This is the first booking.com hotel I have been disappointed with.

It was close to the interstate. That's about all I can say on the positive side.

• Reviewed: 26 February 2017

Even cheap price wouldn't bring us back.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

cigarette ashes left in the "non-smoking" room, some sticky substance on floor, inconsistent wifi, less than great breakfast (grits were all big lumps, eggs were little yellow sponges, supplies ran out).

reasonably priced. No extra charge for dog.

• Reviewed: 1 January 2017

"ok" for a budget place, terrible breakfast
    • Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

Staff were slow and did nothing more than was in job description. Breakfast was awful and there was nothing left by the time we got there. They did not replenish anything. Front desk worker was cleaning breakfast area when I came to check out, where were you when during breakfast earlier?

Good location when travelling. Room was fine, good for the price we paid.

• Reviewed: 30 December 2016

Good for a night.
    • Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

Bed was very lumpy so my sleep was not the best. Eggs at breakfast were really bad. Drain stopper missing from tub and no tissues in tissue holder.

It was very clean and convenient to everything.

• Reviewed: 24 December 2016

Breakfast.
    • Superior King Room - Smoking

Bath tub floor had no non slip strips. No Bath tub mat. Very slippery and dangerous when taking a shower! Night staff needed sleep and showed it!

Breakfast.

• Reviewed: 9 November 2018

The place is a little ramshackle, but clean and comfortable.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Smoking

The place is a little ramshackle, but clean and comfortable.

• Reviewed: 25 September 2018

Didn't stay bcuz it was poop on the wall.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

It need to be more clean

Nothing!! One of the room I look at had poop on the wall.

The best value hotel

N/a

Great value

Wasnt worthy of 70 bucks. Im still scratching my bites from the bed bugs.
    • Superior King Room - Smoking

Bed bugs n spiders in the bed.

Would not stay here again
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Breakfast was awful. Roach in orange juice. No reservation clerk on hand when it was time to checkout. Helpers didn't speak english

Room was okay.

Clean.
    • Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

Property looked old and run down. Driving by I would not have picked.

Clean. Quiet. Comfy beds. Pet friendly.

Value for money and expectations met plus having my 4 legged friends accompany me was a huge bonus

The AC

Price perfect! Unfortunately the AC wasn’t working well

Ron was adequate. Breakfast poor.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Smoking

Poor breakfast. Attent disinterested.old construction, spiffedup.

Rooms were clean! No rugs!

Room was comfortable clean.

Room was comfortable clean. Convenient

Santee
    • Superior King Room - Smoking

Lots of gas stations and fast food stops close by

convenient and very good place to stay on route to another destination

n/a

everything in the room worked! even the wifi!

I would stay again.
    • Superior King Room - Smoking

There was nothing to do around the hotel.

Right by a store.

Probably won't stay there again.
    • Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

Too many shady characters around the property.

It was convenient to I-95. They also allow pets.

• Superior King Room - Smoking

There was lots of blood on the mattress

When traveling-you want a nice bed and hot shower. This is not it!
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Bed was like a concrete slab. Pillows were like rocks. Owner did not give a professional appearance. Though he was kind. And capable.

Rooms were ok
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Unfriendly staff and breakfast was minimal and gross ... uncooked grits! Staff used bare hands to place opened food in bins

Rooms were ok

It was ok
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Smoking

The floors were sticky. I would not walk in my bare feet. I wore my sandals at all times

The water pressure

One floor direct access.

Old style beds.

One floor direct access.

• Superior King Room - Smoking

You always take a chance on choosing a motel you have never stayed at for a overnite stay

Ease of access to Rt 95 Walking distance to food

The WiFi was horrible and the bed was not comfortable!

The WiFi was horrible and the bed was not comfortable!

The room was clean and nice.
    • Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

Breakfast was extremely poor.

The room was clean and nice.

Helpful staff.
    • Superior King Room - Non-Smoking

Helpful staff. Breakfast could be better. Stayed at others with better breakfast. Waffle was good.