Reviews of Americas Best Value Inn Virginia Beach 2 stars

5.3

5.6

5.9

distant to the beach

It was alright. Before I booked the room I asked how far is the beach and I was told a lie. I was told 10 mins. it took over a half hour.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The beds were not comfy. I could not really understand the employees when I was checking in, so it was fairly difficult. The refrigerator was unstable and the shower was dirty.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The breakfast was supposed to last until 930, we showed up to eat about 830, there was no eggs, biscuits would have been good for gravy, not much else. When we asked about more eggs, we were told there would be no more eggs. Very unpleasant breakfast experience.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

i came at a time when the pool wasnt open(opens memorial day)..couldnt get free breakfast cause of the renovations..but was told could get dunkin donuts and bring the receipt back to get reimbursed..lots of traffic near there but if u are careful u can get across the street..is in a good location

liked the closeness to restaurants a def plus!liked my bed...was comfy..room was a good size...nice size tv..staff was very friendly

• Queen Room

The breakfast was for a child not a adult. I was going to Virginia Beach and it was a half an hour drive not 18 minutes. Also it depends on traffic. The room was not clean. I bought cleaning supplies to clean it.

A quieter air con.

Fairly limited choice for breakfast. Everything to do with my stay was perfectly adequate. No frills but I didn't need any. So all good.

• Queen Room

Rates have increased just a little and check-out time has changed from noon to 11am. Liked that this hotel was always different, but now this makes it a bit more competitive with others when booking stays. This used to always be my first choice, but now sometimes other places are comparable depending on availability, of course.

Like how Chick's beach is in driving distance, only few miles away from hotel. Also, very convenient when traveling to be able to allow early check-ins.

First thing I noticed when I walked in was all the PUBIC HAIRS on our PILLOWS & very visible in the bathroom!The WiFi Never worked at all.It smelled so bad in there-like ashtray mixed with prostitutes-that my son & I couldn't breathe!There was no fitted sheet on the mattress-perfect setting for bed bugs!There were ALOT of people on the balcony-ALL NIGHT LONG.

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING

• Queen Room

The bed was lumpy to say the least and there were stains on the sheets. The shower had no water pressure and there were cob webs on the wall. We expected this hotel to be below par, but it was rather dirty, which shouldn't happen even if the facility needs to be updated.

The hotel was easy to find.

Dirty, run down and outdated. It's obvious the company has put little to no money back into this property. Do yourself a favor keep driving, and spend a little extra for comfort and peace of mind.

Wawa is right next door.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Beside the hotel was a Mexican restaurant that had music booming until 2 am. I would not recommend this hotel.

When I arrived they couldn't find my reservation, told me they could give me s king room for the same price as 2 queens. When I said they could give me the room for the cheaper price, they "found" my reservation.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The room was full of Roaches!! They would only refund half of my money for the first night. Under the circumstances I feel like all of my money should have been refunded.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The rooms were not clean the bathroom had black mold all over the ceiling. The sink was not clean and the counter was painted, which looked terrible. The door did not seem secure even with the chain lock on, there was a cap between the door frame and door. I would not recommend this place to anyone.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Room smelled STRONGLY of both cigarette and marijuana smoke. Room was very dated, general uncomfortable feeling being there. Definite seedy motel vibe - not worth the $155 we paid for the room. There was a phone number scratched into the brass light fixture, tracks in the carper where the vacuum hose hadn't been used.

Close to downtown Norfolk and VA beach. Easy access to highways. Staff was pleasant. Water pressure is surprisingly good. Mini fridge was a plus - kept the beer cold anyway.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

On check in day, I wasn't aware that we had to be checked in by 6P or the reservation would be cancelled. I arrived to those news and that they had attempted to notify me via email. I didn't check my email until I finally got to the hotel since I was the only one driving. I asked why didn't they call? And they simply stated that it's not a common practice to call. I booked this location through the app and there was a question that stated "what time do you anticipate to arrive?" And there is an option for "I don't know". The issue was quickly resolved but next time I will call ahead but it's not a bad practice to give a courtesy call to guests on the road.

The staff were all very friendly from the from desk to the maintenance staff. The amenities in the hotel itself were all very close from my room.

We had to clean our room and sanitize every thing as well as change the bedding. The housekeeping department or owners didn't offer to help at all.

Where do I begin? The location is sketchy, lights dont work on the hallways so you can only imagine how dark it is at night trying to get to your room. My friend and I walked in to our room and the smell of mildew was horrendous. We went to the front desk and requested another room. The second room we stayed in smelled equally as bad as mildew, but at that point we had no other option but to stay in the car (literally the area was 100% booked!) The sheets on the bed did not fit, exposing the stained mattress. Our pillow cases were stained badly with brown and yellow stains. There was a band aid left on the floor. The carpet was sticky. After being in the room for about 9hrs, my friend and I both woke up very very sick. I'm assuming from mold exposure. Do yourself a favor and do not stay here!

Front desk person was nice and helped.

• Queen Room

Decor was terrible had old tv the walls and bathroom disgusting pillows were like pancakes, one day pool was shut down by city because they didn't add chemicals

Didn't like it at all

• Queen Room

The pictures online do not match what is offered. Bed was broken, sheets stained, carpet stained, electricity didn't work. Bathroom was extremely small,

• Queen Room

Front desk staff rude. Stayed 2 nights. Coffee not replaced. Disposable cups not replaced. Thinnest bar soap ever encountered not replaced. Tissue box empty both days. Wi-fi non existent. Continental breakfast worst ever encountered in 40 plus years of travel along with it broke several health code rules. Hotel not worth staying in for free.

• Queen Room

It just wasn't so clean and the bedspread was yuck! They had something in the bottom of the shower that was disgusting. Also all hotels has a hair dryer so I didn't bring one and guess what it didn't have one.

• Queen Room

I got locked into my room. The door handle broke off. So when maintenance finally come to fix it he states oh these things happen. No the door knob shouldn't be coming off. Trash can outside was over flowing with garbage. I wouldn't stay there again.

It's in a great location near restaurants.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The mattresses on the beds were a little to firm for us and the pillows were flat. I have a bad back and need to have a softer mattress.

The staff was very nice and accommodating. The pool was a bonus. It was kept clean and very refreshing. We will definitely be staying there again.

• Queen Room

The bed is not clean, there are several brown stings at the bed sheet. I am glad we brought our sleeping bags. The toilet sit's paint is falling off. There are mold at the bath tub area. Also, the room had an access door to the room next to; that make us not feeling safe. You can hear next door if you turn the TV off.

Foods and supermarkets are nearby. There is a fast food chicken place that you can visit by walking.

• Queen Room

I got two rooms and each one was different. I had 209 and the tv sucked ,but my friends room 213 tv was nice so we watched tv other there.

Did get up for the breakfast but with room was decent and the coffee in the room that was a life aaver!

• Queen Room

The "breakfast included" it was just cereal,milk, muffins and coffee... I was expecting something better

The rooms are ok for a couple nights if you're looking for just a place to sleep and take a shower...it's ok for the price

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The pillows were flat had to asl for extra, wall were very thin could hear the neighbors beside us all night, restaurant close to hotel stayed open one night later than usual and played music very loud very disturbing while i was trying to sleep, toliet handle fell off could not flush toilet all night until mantince came next morning around 10am, got over charged at the time of check in because i was told i only had 1 night reservation in there system whe i showed my confirmation was for 3 nights and for 276.18 i got charged 288.64 and they said there was nothing they could do about, i was highly upset and the staff that waited on me that afternoon barely spoke english and didn't care!

The bed was comfortable and we got clean towels everyday no problems, the guy that worked in the morning shift at hotel very nice!

• Queen Room

Room smelled like cigarette smoke. The shower was either really really hot or really cold. Tried talking to staff about. They couldn't understand. We were charged more than what the booking.com rate was

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Had bed bugs and when we complained we were told the manager would be back tomorrow. When we tried to follow up the manager was still not available. Worse customer service ever

......nothing.

No Wi-Fi at all in the room. No hairdryer in bathroom. Furniture & decor needs to be updated. The price of the room for 2 nights was to high for the quality of the room. Could have been Spotless Clean but was decent to sleep in though..

The room was fairly ok. The restaurant buffet was Excellent!!!!

Everything worst place ever

Nothing awful dirty discussing never again oh yes bugs in the bathroom and a dirty wash cloth from previous guest it was the grossest experience I ever had management clueless should of been given a refund

• Queen Room

Shower was dirty, not enough towels, tv remote barely worked, not enough blankets on the bed, no tissues in the room, room was tiny for what we paid, shouldn't be charged for continental breakfast (either have it as an incentive to stay there or don't offer it at all).

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Do not stay here, very old hotel. very, dirty! I would not let my dog stay here. The room does not look like the picture on the web sight. Check in people not very nice.

The lady that cleaned the room.

I liked the pool

I disliked the smell of cigarette smoke in the room.i disliked the one flat sleeping pillows.i disliked that one of the electric sockets were not workimg. The tv was very old

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The hotel was very old,needs updating.Poor cafeteria and disorderly.The room had a moldy smell,the conversation next to the room can be heard,didn't have a good sleep. The lawn is not well maintained,corridor r not clean. We paid too much money for this al most run down facility.I was so sorry I checked in. To this hotel.

Room was spacious .

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The room looked clean at first glance ...at least the sheets were clean but ...as soon as the light were dimmed there was roaches everywhere. We tried several times to talk to management about at least getting half of the costs back but management was not available. I am not happy with this I would like some of my costs back .

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Dirty and loud and no modern acomadations. Bathroom was small.and the toilet stopped working the sink an tub would not drain.and we never were informed about breakfast or any local places.

Near the beach .

The room had an odor as soon as I opened the door. The carpets were filthy (don't take your shoes off). The room had not been vacuumed or dusted in a while. We were only given one tiny bar of soap for hand washing the entire stay. There was hair in the bathtub prior to us using it. While walking to check out I watched a man carry a television across the parking lot to his car.

The bed was comfortable, although I wished I'd brought my own sheets.

• Queen Room

I felt like I was in an action movie after the heist/drug deal went bad and I was laying low from the cops. Butch and Fabienne from Pulp Fiction had better accommodations.

Nothing good to say really. Even the price was to high for the poor quality of the hotel.

No breakfast.

There were no breakfast included on my reservation but the staff upgraded my room to a bigger one without extra fee which exceeds my expectation with their customer service

The TV didn't work.

The pool was very nice and clean. They also changed my room due to the smell of smoke in the first room. However the area is clean, bed sheets were clean also. It worth what you pay.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The staff were friendly however the room was falling apart. When my husband went to wash his hand the faucet came off in his hand. When we called the desk, maintenance came but could not fix it. My husband used his tools to fix it. The electrical outlet in the bathroom kept shorting out and we were unable to properly charge our electronics in the room. The breakfast was poor. After 1 day we were told they ran out of juice. Breakfast was mini bagels,muffins cream cheese coffee. At no time with our complaints were we ever offered a discount for our inconvenience.i will not use this hotel again.

• Queen Room

I didn't like that I had to switch my room because my first one smelled like weed and their was two crying babies next door.

The property was only 20 minutes from the beach which was convenient.

• Queen Room

We didn't like the property. We tried to go somewhere else .places we went to was booked for the weekend.

The property was not clean alot noise Saturday nights. Someone that was staying next to use was smoking weed. Make us sick. The first room we supposed to had was dirty !!!

• Reviewed: 29 October 2016

• Room Selected at Check In

Difficult to find without GPS -- drove around for 1.5-2 hours trying to find it. Plumbing clogged -- toilet wouldn't flush, standing water in tub... but I was too tired to go complain about the plumbing problem until telling them in the morning.

No breakfast, but free coffee in the morning, and NO restrictions on ice -- we put about 3-4 pounds of ice in our cooler before leaving.

• Reviewed: 24 September 2016

• Queen Room

the pillows were so thin , I had to go buy new ones to sleep on, so we both could get a good nights rest. also my knees , they didn't have handicap accessibility. lots of steps to climb. Other than that it was very nice. also they gave me wrong directions to the beach.

I was looking for a real breakfast but we did like the buns and orange juice and fruits. This year I was closer than last year and the price was really great.

• Reviewed: 23 September 2016

• Queen Room

Could have been a little cleaner especially in the shower. Could hear everything that was going on outside and in the adjacent room. Was charged a little more than the quoted booking.com price.

Price, location

• Reviewed: 20 September 2016

• Queen Room

Customer service. The lady at the front desk was yelling and I mean yearling at because I had ask the night clerk questions. Also need fitted sheets on the bed.

NOTHING!!Very very very rude!!!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

I didn't like how rude the woman at the desk was, the pool was not clean at all, our bathroom was not equipped with a hair dryer. I was also not pleased with the bed sheets I felt like they were not clean. It was absolutely one of the worst hotels I've stayed in.

I liked how big my bathroom was and how quickly our room cooled off.

Not enough towels, the ironing board was rusty and would not stay up had to iron on bed. The iron was broke at the tip kept snagging garment. Also manager gave us wrong direction to hospital where we was trying to visit.

• Queen Room

The bed was normal comfort level, however, there was no fitted sheets only a flat sheet folded over the edges. I had multiple rooms and the beds were the same. I found myself awake laying directly on the mattress. I found a baby roaches in 1 room and when I didn't want room service they tought they die having me ask for toilet paper. The pool never opened due to chemical imbalance.

PRICE! I also liked that the rooms came equipped with shampoo/ conditioner and body wash dispensers. The rooms came equipped with coffee makers and coffee. Free WIFI was a big plus and I enjoyed the channel selection.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2016

• Queen Room

The bed was comfortable but it did sag in the middle

It was just the basic in the hotel. But the staff were kind, and really made your stay there worth it.. for the price, i would definitely stay there next time I visit Virginia beach

• Reviewed: 1 September 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Hotel room was dirty and old. This place needs a renovation ASAP! There were stains on the furniture and questionable cleanliness of the entire room. Most of the TV channels didn't work. We wanted cartoons for the kids and to watch the Olympics and couldn't get any of that! Also the TV was not a flat screen but the old tube style.Pay a few extra bucks and get a nicer place!

The price was reasonable but not for the condition of the hotel.

• Reviewed: 31 August 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

I would have lawn work being done while there are people trying to use the pool. I would thoroughly clean the rooms.

The pool was dirty there were dead bugs in the bathroom. I didn't feel comfortable taking a shower. We slept in our clothes and left our bags in the car for fear bugs might get in our bags.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The funk fest was in town and all the rooms started out at $300.00, this was the less expensive room we could find. I've stayed at an America's Best Value Inn before and it was pretty nice. I asked for no smoking room, the first night was good, someone smoked all night in the rooms beside us on Saturday night, we had to leave the motel earlier than anticipated like 0630 in the morning, my asthma was acting up. No smoking rooms should be on one side of the building and smoking rooms should be on another. The rooms had an odor like it hadn't been aired out the whole summer, there are room fresheners in these cases, they won't lose money, by making the room smell decent.

Didn't have breakfast.

• Reviewed: 29 August 2016

• Queen Room

It was a nasty place that looked like it hadn't been cleaned in a while. When we asked if they would refund us after not spending more than 10 min in the room. They said no after booking.com tried to get ahold of them. I wouldn't suggest this hotel to anyone hoping for a clean living environment.

• Reviewed: 27 August 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Our TV kept blanking out. We asked for someone to come fix it. They came and disconnected it from the cable and reconnected it. It fixed it while the maintenance man was in the room. After he left it started doing it again. We just left it as it was. The beds felt like we were sleeping on the box spring.The place looked as though it was a weekly rental property. Although when I booked the room it stated pets not allowed. We walked by several rooms with pets in them. We wanted to bring our dog along with us on our little trip, but left him at home. Breakfast was a few boxes of cereal, prepackaged danishes and muffins, Sunny D, nasty coffee, and I believe milk. It seemed like the cleaning staff was enjoying it more than my family.

It was a place to lay our head down after a long drive.I'm glad we only stayed 1 night.

• Reviewed: 26 August 2016

• Queen Room

Bed was uncomfortable, ants in the bathroom, every plug in the room was wore out and loose and didnt hold up when you plugged something in, it just kept falling out. The room was very old and not updated at all. Staff was hard to understand when they spoke. We arrived earlier than expected and I said can we pay a little extra to check in early to our 3 day reservation cause we were so tired from the trip and he said no charge. Was woke up early and told that we had to leave that room because it was the wrong room and we were charged 91 dollars.

• Reviewed: 26 August 2016

• Queen Room

when i booked the room it was a smoking room i called back to get that changed to a non smoking when we got there i had a smoking room they did give me another room because i had my paper work with me showing it had been changed. The room they gave us was suppose to be a non smoking room it was not the only thing that made it tolerable was that it had no carpet when i got to our next place and took my night gown out that i had only slept in two nights i could really smell the smoke smell on it just from the bed will never go back

• Reviewed: 24 August 2016

My room was smelling like smoke and was told that it's nonsmoking. The staff don't have any customer service skills. The place is outdated and not in good shape. I was only there because all the other hotels in VA Beach were booked. $150 + tax was too much for 1 night because it's not worth the price. I was eager to check out in the morning.

• Reviewed: 24 August 2016

The weekend it turned a little loud in some of the rooms on Saturday night........parties in a few of the rooms.......

...... Everything was very good to excellent.........during the week it was very pleasant.....

• Reviewed: 22 August 2016

It was old and not well kept. The first room was musty smelling, had paint peeling and furniture was old and wood was scarred and worn. Second room was not much better but the furniture wasn't so bad. Paid for King room but was only given a queen and the mattress was hard

It was a convenient location and easy to get to.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

That if I book for 3 nights, you want to charge me for all 3 on first nite. I'm subject to change my mine after 1 st night if I don't like the accommodations.

• Queen Room

The door was very hard to open EVERYTIME until I complained about it. I wish breakfast lasted past 9am. Most people don't get up when they're on vacation. The rooms need some upgrades.

Very friendly and understanding staff.

• Queen Room

Breakfast bar and location was a little too far from beach.

Breakfast bar , was not as advertised. Staff was nice. Hotels were good for family on a budget. 15 miles fom beach :/.

• Reviewed: 17 August 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Two of my friends woke up with some type of bites on them both nights we stayed. We even had our room switched second night and still woke up with bites. I believe their bed was infested with bed bugs.

The employees were polite and very easy to get along with

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

When I arrived, I was told by reservation was cancelled for non payment. I told them I couldn't make a payment on the website because the instructions told me to pay at the property. The staff said they called me and tried to take a payment but I don't have any missed calls or voice mails from them. Luckily there was a room available and I asked if I could make a payment with another credit card. Then she wouldn't let me pay with my mother's card, even though I was given permission to use the card. I had to pay with cash as a last resort. The staff tried to help me in spite of the situation, but luckily there was a room available. Interesting how my reservation was cancelled but there was still a room available!

Location was the best part.

• Reviewed: 12 August 2016

• Queen Room

Everything! We are truly dissatisfied with our stay that night. After the reservation counter check-in our nightmare (or a Twight Zone) type experience began. The facilities to the right of the welcome sign shows a major rundown, outdated, and lastly, a very poorly managed facility.The entire complex should be torn down and rebuilt. I wanted to leave after we walked into the room. There wasn't a protective mate in tub to keep user from "slipping & falling" in shower. "cheap" supplies foir the bathroom, towels were smaller than usual, and too many more items to list that made for an unpleasant stay. Just every where you looked showed a lack of respect for the customers who came to get a rest from their travels. Finally- the A/C unit was so loud we had to keep it off in order to get any sleep before our early flight the next day.

Location was close to airport.

• Reviewed: 11 August 2016

it say free breakfast but it wasn't even really anything there & the blow dryer wouldn't work . & the AC was making our floor very wet. & they didn't didn't give us extra covers🙄

• Reviewed: 10 August 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

there was mold on wall, the safe in my room wasn't even hooked up. the shower curtain in my room didn't stay closed when in it. the pool area was not like any other pool I have been to that was indoors/outdoors. the fact that the room adjacent was unoccupied when I got there and they didn't put us in connecting rooms, where as I felt they could have since the people next door didn't arrive till the next day. they could have given them the room across the hall like they did to the people whom were part of my party.

housekeeping and location

• Reviewed: 9 August 2016

There were stains on the sheets. The sheets were not soft and there should have been more comfortable sheets to stay warm. Needed more towels and soap as well.

The front desk staff seemed very nice

• Reviewed: 6 August 2016

• Queen Room

Everything! Hard to get to the place. Parking was bad. Had to walk all the way around the building to the office doors were locked. One ice machine worked in the whole place. No blankets. One sheet on the bed an one bed spread thin. When I asked for more sheets or a blanket they said no. Breakfast was a joke. I will never stay in another one of these ever again. And I have told all my friends an family and anyone who is on facebook never go here ever.

Not one thing!

• Reviewed: 3 August 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Had to switch rooms because 1st room has bugs in the bed. 2nd room had bugs on the wall. Very creepy experience.

Price but still wanted a refund after my stay.

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

• Room Selected at Check In

This was the worst experience I've ever had in a hotel. There were ants and the place was filthy!

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Not having a choice that's some people were there with the same style room for half of what I paid

I was told that I could cancel the booking as long as I did by a certain day and when I tried it wouldn't let me I was stuck with the hotel my stay was not by choice