Reviews of The Islander Motel 2 stars

522 Ocean Street, Santa Cruz, CA 95060, USA

#29 of 58 hotels in Santa Cruz

It's on a main road. We were lucky enough to get a room at the back away from road so it didn't affect us but if you're at the front it will be a bit noisy.

Staff were super friendly. Room was very clean and comfortable with a large bed. Good location about 15 mins walk to the boardwalk and downtown.

Clean & central to Santa Cruz & Capitola

Breakfast could be improved. Use salted butter, have decaf coffee & tea options

Very clean & the location is perfect for Santa Cruz & Capitola

Well-maintained, affordable, pleasant place to stay in Santa Cruz.

Nothing to complain about, except the cable stations seemed more local, but there were enough channels to provide variety. It wasn’t a problem for me or my 8 year old son.

Affordable, pleasantly clean (with no toxic cleaning product odor), centrally located (15 min walk to beach boardwalk or downtown), safe area, heated pool, quiet room, good maid service, relaxed 11:30am checkout, comfortable bed, modern bathroom, good sized room with microwave and mini refrigerator, a/c & heater worked well.

The management, especially Rose, was very friendly and...

Would have liked a hot tub but that's being very particular.

The management, especially Rose, was very friendly and accommodating. The room was clean and comfortable.

What a pleasant surprise. - would definitely recommend.

The woman checking me in was very kind, the room was large, ,comfortable and spotless. Even though the motel has been around for several decades, my room and the entire property was very well maintained.

Really good value for the money.

The parking situation was the only drawback I noticed. The parking lot is VERY small and hard to maneuver in; I was there on a weeknight and found a spot, but I'm not sure how one would fare on the weekend.

The room was small but very cozy and well-designed with nice furnishings. It seemed nice and updated and had a clean, thoughtful bathroom. The desk staff who I interacted with were pleasant. Really good prices for how nice it was.

Excellent stay

Clean, quiet, comfortable. Great location. Tad old-fashioned interior but really well maintained. Parking available. We didn't expect any breakfast so the very simple breakfast consisting of toast with jam and cereal was a welcome surprise.

Nice location. It did the job, but not in a memorable fashion.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

For the good reviews it gets it didnt meet expectations. The room wasn't property cleaned. There was little peices of trash/peanuts or some thing under the bed. The bed side tables were sprayed but not wiped down when we came in. I wiped them down myself. The refrigerator or the fan (couldnt figure out which) made lots of irregular clicking noises that kept waking me up. All of these things would have been fine if the room was like 40 or 50 bucks. But for what I payed I expected better.

The location was convenient. The bed was comfortable. The man who checked us in was friendly. The price was ok.

Good stay for cheap

There is no coffee machine in the room, but coffee can be found in the morning at the front desk.

The staff was friendly! The room is perfect for a couple at a very reasonable price. It is quite and clean.

The room was clean, the bed was comfortable, and it was...
    • Non-Smoking Double Queen Room

The neighborhood didn't make me feel secure and I was concerned about our safety when walking back from the boardwalk. It was not as close as we thought.

The room was clean, the bed was comfortable, and it was much nicer on the inside than I expected, as the outside needs an extreme makeover.

Great little hotel with well-priced rooms. This hotel met my expectations!
    • Non-Smoking Double Queen Room

I have no suggestions at this time.

We were only there one night but the hotel lobby staff were nice and were able to answer our questions about the area and gave us some brochures. The room was clean and the beds were comfortable. We felt like we were in a safe area of town. They had a hairdryer in the room which was great since I forgot ours. Great little hotel and well-priced rooms.

Great location - 5 minute walk across the bridge to downtown...

This was a ‘no frills’ motel, which we knew when we booked but apart from the decor being a bit dated the only other thing that lets the motel down is not having tea and coffee facilities in the rooms. But that’s not a big issue at all really so all in all a motel to be recommended!

Great location - 5 minute walk across the bridge to downtown Santa Cruz. Comfortable bed, clean and the staff were very helpful.

It was nice and was good for the night we stayed.

I did not like the parking it is really crowded and not enough parking stales for everyone.

Liked that the bed was comfortable and everything was nice and cleaned.

A comfortable, convenient motel. Not exciting, but not pretending to be.

The continental breakfast is at the low end of what I've come to expect at motels. Not horrible, but pretty weak. Cereal, white bread for toast. I didn't see any fresh fruit, but I went in very near the end of the breakfast time so there could have been some earlier.

Someone mentioned the water pressure, and I'd agree. The shower was great! The bed was comfortable, the windows and drapes kept out the noise far more than I would have expected.

Santa Cruz passing through

parking spaces were small

Clean, comfortable but very small king room with lots of pillows (flat). Large fridge kept ice frozen. Bathroom was clean, and water was hot. Towels were very nice.

Sketchy but clean

Inadequate parking, sketchy area, very strong sewer gas smell coming from bathroom; we had to keep the fan on and the door closed. No frills joint.

Comfortable bed.

Clean, quiet, functional, and an excellent value!
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Wifi login was funky. Weirdly, I had to restart my laptop every time I wanted to use their connection but the speed was completely usable. Also the toilet seat wouldn't stay up. A woman wouldn't notice but a man has to stand on the side of the toiler and use his knee to keep the seat up when going #1. Either that or sit and pretend you're a girl. :-(

Room had been recently upgraded. Everything worked well. Lamps, fridge, microwave, TV, heater. Bed was wonderfully firm and pillows delightfully soft.

i felt cheated for booking a place with a heated pool for my grandchildren, then had to tell them no

very disappointed children were unable to use the heated pool. I should have been told it was out of order. I would have booked else where.

room was clean most important to me

Nice pillows.

Didn't bother with the high carb breakfast.

Nice pillows. Fluffy towels. Quiet in our room near the back away from street. Pleasant owner accommodated our slightly late check-out. Easy walk to town.

I did not know that I would have to put an additional $100...

I did not know that I would have to put an additional $100 deposit down on the room until I arrived and spoke with staff. That information was not on the website or on booking.com when I made the reservation. Luckily I had the extra $100 on top of what I was already paying for the room and reservation or else we would have been screwed.

Nice motel on the outskirts of town

Its not as central as some other hotels but the walk is fine and short.

The lady at reception was extremely helpful, even waiting for us to return to pick our car up after we'd checked out to give me a book I'd forgotten. Value wise, compared to other hotels we looked at, this is great, and a short walk into the town and pier. The room was spacious and very clean.

Overall my stay was very good. Deserves a better ranking than it has right now!

Pool was not that clean.I haven't used it but it should be cleaned.

Friendly stuff, easy check in, great location, free parking, clean freshly renovated, tasty coffee and orange juce for breakfast

Fun stay in Santa Cruz; will stay somewhere different extra time.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Pool was definitely NOT heated as was advertised. Free "breakfast" was toast and 2 cereals. Property owner was not friendly and was unapproachable. Overall location was just okay.

Very clean recently remodeled room. Clean swimming pool. Easy free parking. Good fridge and microwave in room.

Busy, great, getaway!
    • Standard Room with one Queen and King bed

The parking spaces are too narrow.

The staff was very nice. If we needed directions, the management went to great lengths to help us. It was an end of summer trip with our 2 eight year old grandsons, and 3 year old granddaughter. They enjoyed the pool and having their own tv. We had a great time!

The proximity to downtown and our business destination.
    • Standard Room with one King and Full Bed

The staff and ownership should be friendly when greeting there guests. Not welcoming. When we arrived to check in, there was know one at the desk, then a person came out and we initiated the conversation. It would be welcoming if they would be smiling and making you feel welcome, approachable to there motel.

The proximity to downtown and our business destination.

Okay...
    • Non-Smoking Double Queen Room

Breakfast was toast and cereal. Coffee not so good. Pool needed to be cleaned. Staff not kind or helpful. Wifi didn't always work.

Room was clean and comfortable

Perfect for one night
    • Standard Room with one King and Full Bed

Location is not as awesome as it seemed on the map but it is close to plenty of stores. It is a bit strange how the hotel is laid out to coup up anyone basically you have to go out on the street to just have a smoke.

Excellent pillows and the bathroom was surprisingly modern and very clean and comfortable. Honestly we were being painful guests because too many friends came by to visit and have a gathering that got pretty loud in our room and the staff really handled us well. If i was in theri place I would have asked us to leave and honestly all they did was peek in our room the moment we left but I do not blame them. Very tolerant people

Overall I'd stay there again cause everything was so comfy and affordable
    • Standard Room with one King and Full Bed

The placement of the ac and how the room stayed humid even with the ac on and how there was loud music at night from the other rooms

I love that the bed were super soft and the bathroom were super clean

Clean and comfortable

Couple more towels in room and extra toilet paper. We didnt use maid service while there, we like our privacy.

The bed and pillows where very comfortable. Not fancy but clean.

• Reviewed: 10 June 2017

Comfortable room at a super location

Nice, remodeled and very clean room. Very comfortable bed, good A/C. Light continental breakfast, always good to have coffee and juice when you wake up. Excellent location, walked to to dinner, downtown and the boardwalk. Really good value compared to others in the same area thanks to booking.com rate. Would recommend to others, and would definitely stay here again.

Newly remodeled;
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The lighting in the vanity area was one spot light in the ceiling and impossible to apply makeup. Since I've travel the U.S. by auto more than once, this is the first motel that did not have a mini-coffee pot in the room - a very big negative. The cable didn't work and had to be repaired by staff. On second day returned to motel at 3:00pm and the exterior of the building was being repainted, all the doors and windows taped so I could NOT GAIN ACCESS TO MY ROOM. Staff is inexperienced in customer service.

Newly remodeled; the bed and bed linens were good.

Beware of The Islander!

I called to verify early check in, was told very brusquely that they couldn't accomodate that. Staff almost rude - indifferent attitude - upon check out walked in on a fight in the lobby with another customer. We could see why! We reserved 2 rooms over 45 days earlier and were placed in very dark rooms down a hallway. Upon entering the rooms thought they resembled a "tunnel". I called the front desk regarding pool towels - "We don't provide!" We were to use bath towels in room, then go to the lobby and exchange for clean towels. Free continental breakfast consisted of a coffee pot with weak coffee, hot water, milk and cereal, and sliced bread for toasting. This was set up in the small lobby with 1 chair, obviously didn't want you to have a place to sit and/or stay. Terrible! Would never stay here again!!

The TV in the room had a nice picture. Bed was ok. The pool was warm and refreshing, although the pool looked very old and in need of repair. Free wi-fi worked.

Never again!

Staff was extremely rude. Parking was packed and hard to get in and out. Rooms are very small.

The only thing that was decent was the renovated bathrooms.

A nice motel in a good location

Wish breakfast went past 9:30. We didn't get to see what it was since we didn't get up early enough.

Place was clean and room was comfortable. Sometimes motels can be dodgy but this one was fine and seemed to be in good shape. Was in close proximity to some bars and restaurants.

• Reviewed: 20 May 2017

Great stay in Santa Cruz!

It was all good!!

The room and bathroom were both very clean. The bed was extremely comfortable (the sheets, blankets and pillows were very good quality -- so fresh and cozy.) And the room was really nicely decorated. We really loved this room and they are so nice in reception. Great value for your money all around.

Good location, clean room and some potential...
    • Non-Smoking Double Queen Room

Breakfast was a bit short on choice : a few more items such as yogurt would be a plus. Some noise from the street. The couple managing the hotel would gain significantly by being more welcoming and smiling because their place has a lot to offer ! A relationship of trust with the customer would be a win-win !

Room and bathroom were very clean. Good coffee for breakfast. Location is convenient even if neighborhood is not special. 1,5 miles away from the boardwalk (downtown Santa Cruz is too noisy for us). There is a Earth Belly over the road and a couple of other restaurants as well.

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

Ehh.

Not worth the price, not enough parking for the guests, no mention of the deposit beforehand, the staff was not very attentive. Mediocre stay.

It's in a good location.

Spacious and clean

The only thing that was a huge surprise was the additional deposit on top of the cost of the room but the charge got returned before it even posted to my bank account so that was good. If your room isnt trashed they return the deposit. Makes sense!

We missed the breakfast by about 30 minutes so I can't speak about the quality but the bed was comfy and everything was very clean and surprisingly spacious. Very private area and nice and quiet at night. Close to several good food areas as well! Loved my stay!

• Reviewed: 2 April 2017

Bed was comfortable and room had pleasant amenities.

WiFi was slow, about 1.5Mbps download and almost zero upload speeds. Water tasted a little on the hard side and parking was pretty limited.

Bed was comfortable and room had pleasant amenities. Offered free breakfast (cereal, toast, coffee), free WiFi for guests (though on the slow side), and a pool (though closed during the non summer seasons).

• Reviewed: 28 February 2017

Location is good
    • Non-Smoking Double Queen Room

Construction to the adjacent room and wouldn't switch rooms because they had extra mattresses in the only other available for our family.

Location is good

• Reviewed: 31 January 2017

Away from the Shoreline

The room was smallish, so plenty of practice walking sideways.

Cleanliness and general condition of the room were first rate. Close to the active downtown area. Cute sign.

• Reviewed: 24 January 2017

Great little motel!

You can sometimes hear the cars on the road a bit but I didn't find that it kept me awake at night or anything.

The bed was comfy and everything was clean. I had a TV, microwave, and fridge in my room which was useful since I was staying for a week so I didn't have to eat out every day. The free breakfast consists of either toast with butter/jam or cereal with milk and they have nice coffee (lots!) and juice. The location was great, across the street from a coffee shop with wifi and near to two bookstores (among other things) as well as walking distance from a gas station where you can buy snacks or juice if you've forgotten to go to the grocery store during the day and don't feel like driving anymore. The staff were always friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 27 December 2016

Glad I got off the Islsnd
    • Non-Smoking Double Queen Room

Heater didn't work and mgr was snippy about fixing it. Power went out twice the next morning. Mgr has a bad attitude. For the last two hours workers were making a racket in the next room. Nope. Cannot recommend.

• Reviewed: 7 December 2016

Good place, decent rate

The breakfast was lacking. The location near a hospital wasn't ideal.

Clean room and comfortable bed. The staff was nice and the hotel was not loud or disruptive. Everything worked well.

• Reviewed: 27 October 2016

- Clean.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

- Terrible wifi, sometimes disconnects for long periods of time and falsely claims usage of P2P networks (and what if there was usage of P2P networks, is that wrong?). - Very small room.

- Clean.

It's an ok hotel!

Hot water in sink took a minute to heat up. Also the water had a funny smell to it. The bath tub was clean but had some black spots (possibly mold) on part of the tub. No clock in room. No iron. Channels on tv not great but hey at least they have HBO. I don't know if the air conditioner works *We went late October. No need to turn on*. It is noisy outside if you leave the window open because the hotel is next to a busy street. There is a $100 deposit for the room which can be paid in cash or on card. They also check the room before you leave to make sure you didn't destroy it!! I would not stay longer than a night.

The bed was nice and comfortable. There is a pool but gate not locked so if you have small children beware! There is a 7-11, Jack In The Box and a few restaurants in walking distance. On site parking. Beach boardwalk about a 5 minute drive from hotel. The clerk does ask for car type & license plate. All rooms are NON SMOKING!

• Reviewed: 11 October 2016

Not impressed
    • Standard Room with one Queen and King bed

Management weren't very friendly, area wasn't ideal and motel was very expensive for what it was however probably cheap for Santa Cruz

Not much. The bed was comfortable.

• Reviewed: 9 October 2016

Rude staff!!!! If your there to just sleep you might not rest because of traffic noise!
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The staff was Terrible, lady was rude and bossy, not friendly at all. In the morning I wasn't able to get my receipt until my room was fully inspected, and I felt they went through our stuff while we where out at our show. I WILL NEVER COME BACK AND NEVER RECOMMEND THIS PLACE FOR ANYONE !!!!

price was right.

• Reviewed: 5 October 2016

Lovely stay

Having an iron would have made it perfect!

Comfy, big bed, friendly staff, quick check-in/check-out, easy parking, booked last-minute no problem, clean, good shower, TV

• Reviewed: 27 September 2016

Perfect spot for getaway in Santa Cruz!

Clean cozy room, very comfortable bed, great swimming pool for refreshing dip. Across the street - Earthbelly - best cafe in Santa Cruz and Chinese foot massage for $25 for an hour. Overall great experience at Islander. We will be back!

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

Good motel, but very unfriendly staff

We booked a room including breakfast (breakfast is in the office). But are no chairs or tables for guests to sit down. Though we decided to have breakfast while standing. The owner or person at the front desk was not happy about us eating in the office and threw us out. He told us to eat in our room.

WiFi and Location are great.

• Reviewed: 4 September 2016

Good for a short stay!!

Thin walls and can get noisy when at her guests are checking in or out. Recommended to have a room on upper floors.

Very good location. They provide an iron if required. The lady at the reception at checkin at night was very friendly.

• Reviewed: 28 August 2016

Everything I needed for my stay
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

I spent one night and it had everything I needed: Clean room, comfortable bed, clean bathroom with toiletries, and within walking distance to where I needed to go (my son's office and downtown Santa Cruz). Additionally, the room had a fridge and microwave, and the front desk guy was helpful.

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

Clean and convenient
    • Standard Room with one Queen and King bed

A little noisy, we had a queen and a king bed. The king in the back room was hot and the air conditioner did not reach in there and there was no fan.

Great location close to downtown, heated pool

• Reviewed: 21 August 2016

Comfortable, reasonably priced motel
    • Non-Smoking Double Queen Room

It's on a busy street so there is some street noise. However with windows closed it was fine and did not affect sleeping at all.

Very clean and comfortable. Great albeit somewhat worn pool for kids - had large shallow area and warm enough to be inviting even on grey morning. Nice continental breakfast.

• Reviewed: 20 August 2016

Nice day and night place to visit

Really can't say anything negative. We only stayed 1 night but we had everything we needed.

Nice room size, plus nice to have the microwave and refrigerator. Good location to walk to the boardwalk and wharf pier.

• Reviewed: 20 August 2016

Best motel in all our roundtrip

Everything was perfect

Room big and spacious, bathroom clean with amazing water pressure, towels were soft and good quality cotton. Free wifi, and the best part was the king size bed with white sheets not the horrible 80's multicolor bedcovers you find in every single place.

• Reviewed: 29 July 2016

The room was clean and smelt great.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The breakfast was not what I was hoping for. Toast and un sweetened cereal. Coffee was weak. But it was nice if you like that stuff for breakfast. For the TV you had to type in every chanel by number. And a switch on the wall cut power to the whole wall where the TV and refrigerater were.

The room was clean and smelt great. Exactly the right size for me and my son. Great pillows.

Very comfortable
    • Standard Room with one King and Full Bed

We like the two room option available. Nice safe pool area and enough parking for guests.

RELAXING
    • Non-Smoking Double Queen Room

THE STAFF WAS VERY FRIENDLY, HELPFUL AND WAS KNOWLEDGEABLE WITH THE AREAS ACTIVITIES.

Comfortable bed, clean & quiet room, good location for...

Parking is a bit tight

Comfortable bed, clean & quiet room, good location for my needs

Good no frills motel.

Good no frills motel. Clean, nice refrigerator, great location, close to restaurants. Would stay here again.

Yes the Beds were like clous!
    • Non-Smoking Double Queen Room

Yes the Beds were like clous!!

A simple motel for a night or two.

Breakfast not included. But it was never mentioned that it is :)

nice clean room, got what we were expecting.

Loved it!

My husband loved the bed!

The motel was extremely clean and very close to everything
    • Non-Smoking Double Queen Room

The beds were just a tad uncomfortable for me.

The motel was extremely clean and very close to everything

Comfortable beds and cleanliness.
    • Non-Smoking Double Queen Room

The tiny pool and it’s location

Comfortable beds and cleanliness.

All together is good but pricy
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

With this price they do not have any coffee or tea in the room;/

Very clean

I would recommend the islander hotel 100% .

Beds were comfortable, room extra clean! The manager lady she is a sweetheart!

I go often to Santa Cruz,the management I have gotten to...

I go often to Santa Cruz,the management I have gotten to know over the years,they are wonderful people!

The room was great
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

There was work being done on the roof above us

The room was great

Very clean!

Very clean!

THE STAY WAS RESTFUL.

THE STAFF WERE HELPFUL AND FRIENDLY. DEFINITELY, WILL BE COMING BACK.

Quiet and restful.

The staff was friendly. The location was ideal.