Reviews of Americas Best Value Inn - Sky Ranch 2 stars

4234 El Camino Real, Palo Alto, CA 94306, USA

#24 of 29 hotels in Palo Alto

It was an inexpensive choice and turned out to be a nice clean comfortable place to stay. I am woman and was travelling on my own I felt very safe there. The front desk staff was really nice, efficient and helpful. I will stay there again the next time I visit Los Altos.

• Queen Room

Was not impressed with the breakfast- a couple of packaged pastries with a container of OJ in my room. TV did not work well. Had difficulty communicating with the desk clerk due to language barrier.

Clean, good location for my travels.

- over my normal budget. Quite expansive for one person travelling alone.

- clean and spacious - big and comfortable bed - good location for what I needed (go to San Francisco Airport in the morning: ~30 minutes drive) - really liked the place

• Queen Room

I didn't like the fact the ceilings and walls had a lot of cracks and the bathroom light kept having issues turning on so I had to leave the bathroom door opened while using the restroom or showering.

I liked the location, it was quick to where we were going but still quiet area, I liked the fact there was a variety of drinks in the room for breakfast.

Reserved a ADA room online. Then I called to make sure they had a handicap room for us. Was told not to worry they have one. A month in advance. Checked in, the room wasn't set up for handicap. My husband is paralyzed from waist down. Had to go back to the office to get the room I reserved. Glad that the correct room wasn't taken. We would have been searching for a room after 4:00 at night.

Room was clean, bed was nice, heater was loud. Every time it turned on I woke up. Finally shut it off.

Time for renovation! Broken dresser. Loud ac/ heart units. Shower head leaks. Tub drains slow. Reserved for 2 adults. They provided 1 pastry and 1 Orange juice for breakfast.

Extra deep tub for soaking. Cute cottage feel outside.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Front desk didn't know directions to the V.A. ......Front desk could not give me a 5:30 wake up call....kept telling me to dial 3 for wake up...dial 3 and it tells you to call front desk....front desk wasn't to concern, told me again to dial 3 ...same thing.....call wife at home and she called me at 5:30.....room was a little musty ...could air rooms out every once in a while

The beds were comfortable .......the t v was good...location to the V.A. was close by within 1.5 mi.

You get only room; there is no restaurant and a bar. You don't get breakfast; however you get some pastry and tea bags in the room.

This hotel lies in the dead centre of Palo Alto. It's conveniently close to the office, just 10 minutes drive.

Mattress you could feel the coils. Room was a handicap room, but had a hard time getting around. Shower was nice but you had water all over the floor. Easy to slip and fall. Limited you on towels.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Office open limited hours. Stairs to upper level needed better railing for safety.

Excellent value for this location--near Stanford Medical complex. Also walking distance to restaurants, shops, etc. in a very nice neighborhood. Would definitely stay again.

• Queen Room

Not one thing I fear getting ill and since this man photocopied my ID I am in fear of 10 other things especially since he manually went in changed my reservation and tried to get me to sign it I refused and he told me to go to hell!!! 2.5 stars is too many

That they didn't or couldn't have change for me.

That was a good price and last minute. But it was good stay with the Orange juice and coffee thst was very nice. I had to visit my brother at Stanford Hospital and it was close to there.

The Carpet was dirty I put on socks to walk on the floor and they were filthy in just that short walk across the floor, the carpets need to be kept clean.

Did not serve hot breakfast, a bottle of orange juice and sweet role for each person(2).

1. The desk chair's top is detached from the frame underneath. In an effort to move the chair forward a bit, my finger slipped into the gap(created by the detachment), before I could stand up, my whole weight went on my finger and badly jammed it. Please fix the broken furniture. 2. the shampoo was labeled "conditioning shampoo" -- note it's just shampoo, not the 2-in-1 "conditioner" + "shampoo". Besides there is no conditioner provided. 3. Bed is too soft, pillow too high. Given multiple pillows there is no need to provide high pillow actually. No pillow is slightly better high a single pillow, but still not comfortable.

After check in discovered toilet not working. told no other room available and nothing they could do this evening at about 10 P.M. Staying one more night assumed no problem for them to get it repaired while out during the next day. Returned around six pm Toilet still not repaired!! Stayed the night there due to nothing available else where in my range. No comp. discount or any discount offered at check out. Shocked... like it was normal to rent rooms in that condition. Plan on spending the truth about this hotel (?).

It was very noisy and too close to a very busy road. Staff,at reception were very surly and never made eye contact. Took me 2 days to get $10 change owed to me.

Room was quite large with a good sized bathroom. There were 2 bottles juice everyday.

The place was filthy my grandson's feet got so black it stained his feet after 5 minutes on the carpet, hotel didn't careand we had to find another hotel. When you sat on the bed sounded like you were sitting on plastic. They would not refund the money and didn't offer another room. Unfit for my family to stay in.

nothing it was filthy

• Reviewed: 26 January 2017

Cobwebs on ceiling,countertop coffee mug dried ring/dirty. Obviously a quick clean.Coffee pot dirty Styrofoam cups are toxic. I did not use coffee maker.smell of old coffee.

Heater quiet and worked.Quiet room.great location but over priced. The bed spread was CLEAN

• Reviewed: 24 December 2016

Don't be fooled by the pictures that make this hotel seem quaint. it's old and run down. The room just seemed grimy, from the first moment we walked in. The carpet is thoroughly warn down, dark and stained in the well used areas. Bed sheets were rough and the bottom sheet wasn't large enough to stay tucked around the mattress. The mattress pad under the sheet was so old it was nubby and full of lint and fuzz. Super old mattresses, not very comfortable. The quality of the room was not at all worth the money paid for it.

Well, I didn't like much about this hotel but they had a nice TV set and a good cable selection. Also had good water pressure in the shower and a good shower head. The bathroom was nice and clean, but the rest of the hotel room just seemed scummy.

• Reviewed: 21 November 2016

The bathroom had a very strong smell of tobacco. I suspect that it was coming from an upper level room(s). I It wasn't just smoke, it was extremely toxic smelling-the result of years of smoking. I would never go there again. It is unhealthy

• Reviewed: 21 November 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The quality of this motel is extremely poor. It was dirty (found female hair all over the bathroom, the towels smelled like frying, I found a bug in the bathroom and one in the bed). DO NOT GO THERE

• Reviewed: 11 November 2016

Decor was dated and had some maintenance issues - floor lamp bulb was damaged showing wires which someone unplugged and vanity light was burned out

Location was good and parking convenient right outside the room

• Reviewed: 28 October 2016

The shower curtain. It had a small amount of mold near the tub line that a good bleaching would have solved. Not a big deal, & the only "didn't like" item I could think of.

The friendliness of the owner, comfort of the beds. Having coffee, refrig & microwave in the room plus the little continental breakfast items. Free wi-fi was much appreciated.

Not much.

Nice cold bottle of Orange Juice and some pastries are compllimentary, very quiet, kind staff, clean and spacious rooms. Perfect if you are staying the the Stanford University area for business.

• Reviewed: 20 October 2016

• Queen Room

Shower curtain was not properly assembled and leaked all over floor. The drywall & paint above the tub kit was broken and funky. The toilet flush handle was loose and didn't work. All I asked for was a "quiet room" the neighbors had an adult child with downs syndrome that was wailing for quite a while, fortunately not past 900. Probably won't go there again. Good advice on a Japanese restaurant from the proprietor. skipped breakfast

• Queen Room

1) The key I was given to Rm 103 already had a couple in it--so I walked in on them--very disturbing for both parties! 2) Attendant was not at all helpful or friendly. 3) Evidence of bed bugs (dead ones and black stains on the linens along with the feces of the bugs) 4) A previous tenant had left an iron mark on the carpet (totally burned through)--I would think management would want to repair that prior to renting out the room again! 5) Obvious the housekeeping staff cuts corners--dust in corners, extremely low wattage light in ceiling...I understand budget--but this was dangerous! We could not see in the room without curtains being open--the light fixture was more than inadequate.

Location close to Stanford Hospital was good--the reason we were in town was for surgery for my husband.

• Reviewed: 5 October 2016

We arrived with the high school xc team, we were vallenteir to help watch the kids! I was sent name and hotel info where we were asked to make or room reserved! Not familiar with doing that over Internet just followed what was sent to me by coach! Arrived with the team the man at front desk was rude, his English was very hard to understand, and on the desk there was a AAA triple black diamond trophy displayed, so I placed my AAA membership card on the desk, and was told I was not able to get discount and the AAA discount is only for those who walk in with no reservation! I explained to the man that I was not told that when I reserved the room, and there should be some disclosure on his trophy, if he was displaying AAA then there should be no reason I would be denied discount!! The man never thank us for staying at his hotel and seemed like his English got worse the more I complained! Our group took 7 rooms, us parents had to pay for our own room, and the discount was on 1 room!! Very sad will never go back to this place, Lastly the bed or matters was horrible, each morning woke up with horrible soar back both me and my wife!

Our first night we had a shower that the water barely came out no way a person could shower! I was on my way to the front desk and a super nice maintance guy helped me change out to replace the shower head, the only employee that I considered helpful and considerate!! The only one!!

• Reviewed: 24 August 2016

• Queen Room

The air conditioning in the room was poor and not working properly. The stay was not as comfortable as it should of been for the price we paid. I was expecting a little more comfortability considering we paid $117 for one night. Def too expensive for the little comfort and non properly working air conditioning that there was.

The room was really clean upon arrival..but door was already open.

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

It could have used some dusting & vacuuming. The guy who worked there told me it would take 1 hr 45 to get to the airport. So I got up at the crack of dawn and it took 25 minutes to get there.

It was quiet and comfortable.

• Reviewed: 9 August 2016

The bed was short-sheeted. The bathroom was downright dangerous. The side of the tub was very high, the floor was very slippery and just a tiny mat with no gripping was provided

It was located near the university and had a great Chinese restaurant next door.

• Reviewed: 4 August 2016

• Queen Room

Breakfast is just a couple of pastry left in your room. Being a motel, if you open the curtains everyone can see in but without daylight, the lights in the room weren't so strong. Also there was nowhere to hang clothes and the draws were full with the motels stuff so we couldn't use them.

The location was great for purpose of our trip as we needed to be in the area. The showers are good and there's a fridge and microwave in the room (beyond that not much else)

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

Fridge could have been colder. Cable tv could have had more stations

Location is fantastic. Nice, clean and quiet. Had a few questions & desk staff was very helpful. Would stay again, thank you!

• Reviewed: 1 August 2016

I didn't like the shower it didn't look clean and we didn't know how to turn on the shower head it was weird because it should be common sense but only the bath tub worked. Also our cable just stopped working and wouldn't turn back on. We called the front desk to ask how we could make both things work and the front desk was was closed after 11pm though 7am so we weren't able to ask for anything. Also the light in the bathroom took 7 second just to turn on when you flipped the switch. We were in room 101 next to the employee room & I kept getting the feeling we were being watched because I kept hearing moving around all late at night. Like there was a 2 way mirror. Very creepy. And don't be deceived by the "continental breakfast" add it's very misleading . . In your room is two danishes and 2 small orange juices. When we called about the breakfast the employee said it was in the room provided. Ridiculous the danish tasted so old. Worst experience and we aren't even a picky couple but this was pretty a pretty crappy experience. I got zero sleep that night. Stay away way over priced for what you get. I've been to better motels then this place. There was only 1 employee running the whole place. Get more staff!!

I liked the bed. It was comfortable and clean.

• Reviewed: 27 July 2016

Showers are outdated and walls are not very sound proof.

Nice place filled with unexpected amenities. Good for price and convenient location. Overall satisfied with this place.

• Reviewed: 24 July 2016

• Queen Room

I arrived just after 3pm, check-in stated 2pm was earliest time. I like to pay cash for my stays... But the guy at the desk told me they had already charged my card that morning!!!!! Before I would have been able to even check in.... That doesn't make me very happy. I could see if it was the next day, if I hadn't cancelled in time allowed but wow, first time I've had that happen.

It was well equipped, frig with separate freezer, microwave, iron and board. Bathroom was big, easy for a female to get ready to go out.... Separate desk, separate tv stand. Shower/tub and toilet had their own door for privacy. Couldn't get the shower to work though so that was bad. Location was real close to the reason I went to the area. Room was clean!

• Reviewed: 10 July 2016

"Breakfast included" would have nice to know it's just orange juice and a pastry. I wasn't able to eat any of it because of my diet.

Very clean and easy check in.

• Reviewed: 1 July 2016

We found and killed two spiders on two different days in our room! Not what you want to find in the room your sleeping in with guests! Front desk didn't seem to be concerned out it

• Reviewed: 1 July 2016

There were couple of ants in my room. Not a big deal, but still.

They had a bottle of juice and water and also coffee in the room, which was great. Also two pastries. Laundry worked well! You have to do it yourself, but machines worked well.

Low roof you hit your head on the eaves, it would nice to be aware if a late checkout was available

Location, very expensive area

There wasn't anything I didn't like it was convenient and comfortable

It was convenient to Stanford Hospital that was the reason for a trip

No grab bars when exiting the shower

The shower did not work. I think the fixtures are worn out.

If the shower worked..

The bed was like cloud.

Friendly staff, super clean, love the coffee, juice and danishes. Will stay here again.

Wifi

Terrible WiFi. It does not work!!!!! Poor front service service.

The bed had a plastic cover on it made the bed uncomfortable!

Location was convenient! Lots of parking! Very little road noise!

bara en natt..vanligt inget speciellt som alla andra i samma klass

Helpful management

• Queen Room

One of the bedside lamps was broken.

The room was clean and had good wifi.

• Queen Room

Old furnishings, broken power outlet, & cramped space.

It was close to work the next day.

Staff was challenging to work with, bed was not comfortable

Location was greqt

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Calling my wife of 50 years a "PARTNER'.

Everything is not so bad, considering the price (we booked the room at 6pm of the dame day) you get what you paid for.

• Queen Room

Not very clean, small room, no breakfast.

Location, close to Stanford, easy parking

• Queen Room

The TV didn't work. There was a spider in the room and the bed had a plastic liner on it. Very uncomfortable.

Good car parking, nice site, clean and close to restautants.

• Queen Room

the ice machine was broken and it was a very hot day

the location and the bathroom was roomy and clean.

• Reviewed: 10 June 2017

• Queen Room

Price was reasonable and it was close to where I needed to be. The staff was extremely friendly.

Shower diverted did not function most take bath. Chest of drawers top drawer bottom fell outt when opened,

Beds,

• Reviewed: 24 May 2017

The bed was so comfortable and the sheets felt nice and soft.

• Reviewed: 20 May 2017

• Queen Room

No frills but you have what you need.

Clean room with free wifi in a good location.

• Reviewed: 20 May 2017

bed was comfortable. room was nice

Staff was awesome!!!

Very quite

• Reviewed: 7 May 2017

• Queen Room

Quite expensive for what it was. No breakfast included or bowls etc in room

Comfortable beds

• Queen Room

shower was broken poor water flow

comfy bed flat screen

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

• Queen Room

Under construction. Lot of noise. Hard to find parking.

Large TV with selection of channels

• Reviewed: 23 March 2017

my shower head did not work I had to take a bath ugh!

everything except one thing.

• Reviewed: 17 March 2017

• Queen Room

Coffee in room and a wrapped breakfast bar was good but ants crawling around sink area.

• Reviewed: 16 March 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The washing machine facilities were out of order.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Had to adjust the curtains a bit because there was too much light.

The bed was comfortable

• Reviewed: 27 January 2017

The tub/shower was difficult to get in and out of.

Price was very competitive for the area.

• Reviewed: 28 October 2016

The bad was so not comfortable and the wifi was terrible. Probably the 2 most important things when traveling for business.

• Reviewed: 25 October 2016

Cob webs in the bathroom. Cracked tile and missing pieces in bathroom.

Television remote was not programmed.

Roomy accommodations.

• Reviewed: 21 October 2016

Quiet and close to hospital where we were going.