Reviews of Americas Best Value Inn 2 stars

4005 Ogeechee Road, Savannah, GA 31405, USA

#121 of 135 hotels in Savannah

6.2

5.9

Lighting in the room was overlit. They have discovered LED lights, but almost need to have sunglasses in the room. No lamps so all the light glaring down from the ceiling. Also in our room TV was on a wall facing to the left of the bed. Had to crane neck to the right to see the unadjustable TV.

No frills motel. Bed comfortable, shower clean, TV large. Price better than anywhere else with this number of stars. I would stay again.

Wore out micro wave very noisy, lighting not placed right, no real place to sit and watch tv, bed way to soft, pillows flat, rust working thru paint in bathroom, ice built up in freezer.

The bed was extremely fluffy. There was no lamp in any of the rooms at the hotel, because they built in a switch for a bright reading light. There was an extreme amount of dirt under the bed, because it probably was not cleaned for months.

I loved the two guys on staff. I also loved the fact that the rooms were built with concrete block wall, which was filled with concrete. It made for quiet rooms.

It’s not possible to open the window, so the AC has to be on, even if the weather is mild.

This motel is simple and economical. The historic district is an easy 10 minute drive. The people there were very friendly and my room was clean and tidy.

Television didn’t work, dangerous area, staff would not accept ARP discount. Oh and the beds sucked.

Hard wood floors ensured there were no carpet bugs to worry about.

The room was dirty, staff not helpful and no WiFi connection whatsoever. This place does not feel save.

The place’s staff were not helpful. No WiFi in the room, dirty bedsheets and not so save place.

The room was infested with BEDBUGS! My family and I were devoured by them and the property did nothing about it. There was also a strange man hanging around at this property, that even questioned a member of my family about wanting to coming to our hotel room to “talk”. Run far away from this dump if you can

The location was the only plus for this property. Everything else was a complete disaster.

I found what I thought was a rash on my hand maybe the third day of my trip. When I returned home and looked in my facing mirrors I found four big bites on my back. I knew from experience they are from bed bugs. There were numerous bites, and I have to have an exterminator come to inspect now. I put all clothing and sundries in bags and outside on my porch. Hopefully this will not be Hell on earth as it was twice before (non-hotel related then.) TripAdvisor does have a few bed bug comments, but you have to specifically plug that term in, so I didn't catch them. This is not what we expected.

The location and that's it.

The room was amazingly clean. The water pressure was super strong. We felt safe sleeping on the ground floor. This hotel was 28 minutes from the center of Historical Savannah and 36 minutes to Tybee Island, very centrally located for our trip.

Sinks get little to no water. AC unit didn't work and the Wi-Fi is terrible

The beds are really comfortable. The interior design is nice. I also like the furniture in the room.

The towels and sheets were not clean. The chain lock was broken and ripped out of the wall.

The staff was super kind. The room was adequate, but nowhere near what the standards of a room should be.

The room was clean, the bed was comfortable, staff was friendly, and check in was quick and easy. The room was 5 miles to everything I needed it was the perfect location.

BED BUGS. We found them in the sheets of our first room and asked to be moved to another. The mattress and sheets looked fine so we stayed the night only to wake up the next day to be absolutely eaten alive. We actually saw several bugs crawling in the sheets so we can say without a doubt that we got them in this hotel. The staff were very good and gave us a full refund but that really doesn’t make up for the hassle of washing everything in the midst of a long trip, finding new accommodation, spending $$ on anti-ich creams and bug sprays, and missing out on days of our holiday because our faces are covered in bites and we need to scratch every 10 seconds. I wouldn’t take the risk staying here for the next few months - clearly they’re everywhere and the owners need to take major steps to get rid of the bugs.

The room was filthy. Cigarette ash all over the floor. Pillows were yellow. Smoke detector was beeping loudly every 30 seconds. Impossible to sleep in.

We had a room that had water damage and the room had a smell to it. I think most of the rest of the hotel was nice.

The staff is very friendly. Answered all questions and gave us ideals where to go in town.

It was in a bad part of the area. I'm pretty sure they were doing illegal things in the closed down night club next door. The bedspread had dog hair on it but the sign clearly states no pets. They obviously don't wash the bedspread between guest. The lady at the front desk couldn't find my information. Took me 30 mins to check in.

I didn't like the room itself, dingy, soft walls were the rain got to it. Rooms floods when it rains, holes in the wall, uncomfortable beds and skeevy people who rent the rooms.

I like that I left there with out bed bugs or roaches.

The front desk lady was rude. She stopped me as I was walking in while she was on smoke break saying that she was going through a shift change and I had to wait. As soon as she finished her smoke she let the folks that were standing outside in. Then had trouble finding the reservations for the couple in front of me as well as mine. Until I pulled up my email on my phone she then "found it"

My wife and I had a great weekend visit to Savannah. The hotel rooms were very clean. THe bathrooms were nice as well. We especially liked the AC in the room! It was very nice as it was pretty hot in Savannah.

I wish there was breakfast provided, but I knew there wasn't going to be so I had reasonable expectations. I also wish it was a little closer to Downtown Savannah.

The room was clean, the staff was nice, and the bed was very comfortable. For $60 a night, this place truly was the best value.

There was mold in the freezer. They left someone's used hand soap for us to use. The refrigerator didn't really get cold. The lock on the inside of the room didn't work. It looks cheap & run down

The location was great

The linens could use an update as they seemed to be showing signs of some wear. You can see some of the wear on the moulding around the doors, however, nothing structurally scary. We were provided with a room which was Smoking or Non-smoking it seems from the burn marks on the comforter and the ashtray, however, there was NO smell of pre-existing smoke.

The property was newly renovated and has an updated look to it. The staff agent was friendly and more than willing to assist us with checking in. We arrived shortly after check-in hours and the room was ready for us. Its location cannot be beaten for the price we paid as you are roughly 10 minutes from downtown. Whether you are driving yourself or going via Uber for a night in the town you'll be saving. The AC ran nice and cool for the entire duration and it was easy enough getting on and off the property premises.

the restroom door wouldn't close, there was about a 1" gap under the room door and the electric outlet in the restroom and the light was on the same electrical switch.

the hotel we in a ok location

This was the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. The non-smoking room reeked of smoke. The bedspread had cigarette burns all over it as did all the furniture. The floor was filthy. The toilet wouldn't stop running unless you vigorously jiggled the handle. The bathroom door would not stay closed. There was no bath stopper even though they advertised that they had tubs. There were bugs. The bed was lumpy, the towels were threadbare. I have no idea if breakfast was even offered because the surly checkin staff barely spoke when I checked in.

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

As I stated before, the cleanliness of the refrigerator, the bathroom policy, and the tv channel line up are issues. Also, the floor of the room had a lot of spots that at first I thought was dirt, but then realized that it was most likely paint

The room was ok--the bed was comfortable and there was lots of space to store things. The refrigerator however needed to be cleaned. For instance in the freezer compartment there were ice cube trays that were covered with mold as well as the freezer compartment needing to be defrosted. I attempted to clean the ice trays, and finally just removed them completely. I had planned to show them to the manager, but forgot to do so. I must say that the desk clerk I met the first day was very nice and helpful, except for one incident which which occurred which was very distressing. When I arrived I asked if there was a restroom that I could use, and she said I'd have to wait until I checked into my room. She needed to see my ID first, which I couldn't find right at that moment. She didn't even recommend a place for me to go to use a restroom. So, I went across the street to the convenience store only to find that they did not have a public restroom either. After waiting in a long line, the cashier was nice enough to allow me to use the employee restroom. I understand that she needed to see my ID first, but based on previous phone conversations I had with her, I know that she had to have known that it was me. So, I don't see why she couldn't have given me the key to the restroom for a second, and then I would have come back and shown her my driver's license. And also, she could have at least recommended someplace close by which would have a public restroom. Another thing I noticed is that when I asked what the tv channel lineup was, she didn't know. I had to call Direct TV to find out myself. If they're not going to provide a list in each room, then I suggest that they keep a copy of it behind the desk in case any guest wants to know. I did appreciate that the manager and another person were very helpful and accommodating on the morning I checked out.

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

The place is old but clean for its age. It needs a good breakdown and refacing. There are so many layers of paint that the doors dont close right.

It was centrally located so travel around town was easy.

Very unclean outside and inside (outside was tried to be hidden in the back part of the hotel), dirty floor, dirty bathroom, sub-optimal lightning infrastructure "No refunds on complaints" as a general statement on a plate in the window of the check-in

You can be quick in Savannah if you have a car Bus stop right in front of the hotel

It said free breakfast but there was no breakfast. Also it was a pretty shady area after dark. Alot of homeless and folks just hanging around in parking lots.

The place was being remodeled and our room was one of the ones that had been finished. It was still an old motel with new paint. Apparently the contractors doing the work neither cared nor owned a level or had much carpentry skills. The shower curtain rod was hung out of level causing the curtain to slide back to the middle, the door had about a 3/4" gap between the bottom of door and threshold, even the pictures were mounted out of plumb. Upon leaving we wanted to get ice for drinks and the ice machine did not work or was out of ice. I probably would rate it as a $65.00 room and we paid $95.00 for it. Not really pleased.

The bed was very comfortable, the A/C was cold and we did get a good nights sleep.

The property is in the process of getting renovation. Unfortunately the labor doing the work are doing a very poor job of it. The materials used are OK but the labor are really unskilled with the task.

Location to Savannah downtown

• Reviewed: 28 April 2017

Quite out the way and taxis for some reason had trouble finding it despite it being on a main road.

Room was very clean and quite spacious. Staff were friendly and helpful.

I didn't like that my credit card was charged when making the reservation. I used my credit card to guarantee the reservation and wanted to pay cash when I arrived. I wasn't allowed to this as I have at other locations that I booked.

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

The lady at the lobby didn't want to be there, she complained about her shift. Was given a room, when I walked it, it was a smoking room. It reaked of smoke! When I asked the lady in the front for a non smoking room, she replied "the room never on booking never specify if it was a smoking or non smoking room".....so I guess I should assume it to be a smoking room if not specify? Also the sheets were so dirty I used the fleas banket from my car as a bed cover and laid on it instead,the building is run down. My experience was so bad my gf and I booked it was a night but only stayed for 3 hrs to shower and clean ourselves. The pics on booking is deceiving! Was not worth the money for the stay, will never book this place again! Need some major changes and renovation or just close it down!

They location wasn't bad, close to downtown

The room was dirty, the chair and bed linens stained,the bathroom had mildew and soap scum all over the tiles and tub . The beds were severely uncomfortable and there was left over trash in our garbage bucket and the property oneself was covered in trash and had very shady characters looking as if they lived there.

• Reviewed: 14 April 2017

Everything was terrible...prostitution and bars near by

American Best Motel in Savannah Georgia has to be the WORST motel in the world and located next to a bar ... unsafe, unclean and terrible staff & over priced!!! Yuck!

• Reviewed: 29 March 2017

our first room the bathroom door didn't close at all. our 2nd room the door shut but you had to pull hard to get it to shut My sis thought it was dirtier and dumpier than i did. but I wasn't expecting a lot though. considering the bathroom doors don't think i will book them again had to stay on rt side of the bed since I kept making a spring pop loudly on the left side. granted I weigh 270 but still not fond of that.

location was great, it was a straight shot into town. didn't get lost getting to and from historic Savannah. 15 to 20 minutes tops. I didn't pay a lot so wasn't expecting a lot . just needed a bed that's what we got.

• Reviewed: 28 March 2017

Morning coffee was not usually available, but when I asked about it, they even called my room later to tell me when it would be available the next morning

Disgusting. Sticky stuff on the bathroom floor with alot of someone's hair in it. Soap scum on shower wall. Bed is hard as a rock. Ugly furniture

The room was filthy. There was huge balls of hair in the bathroom. The bathroom door latch didn't line up with the frame. Watching cockroaches play follow the leader all night. Overall terrible experience

Covers are not thick enough to keep you warm at night... I'll just bring extra next time I come :)

The facility is nothing fancy but the staff always makes up for it :) Tina is amazing and always so nice and helpful. We were giving a smoking room and I and highly allergic to smoke. Explained to Tina my situation but no more non smoking rooms were available and she was so kind to have them put a machine in my room while we were out To pull all the smoke out :)we stay here every time we come because of great customer service and Location. Literally 3 miles from river street.

I really had no issues. This area is growing. It took 5-6 minutes to get downtown.

Room newly renovated. Staff was very friendly!! They care about you. 5-6 minutes from downtown. Not on the main strip of Abercorn what I say is great. Less traffic and less crowded area.

• Reviewed: 24 March 2017

Owners were money hungry price hogs trying to way over charge for their"shuttle" service, saying uber couldn't be trusted and Was to pay for Handicapped son. Was told after complaining about the taste of the water....."oh no don't drink it".... Horribly wifi.

Location was close to bay st

Filthy sheets , filthy bath , filthy , mould on shower curtain. The door wouldn't lock properly. This was advertised as "high demand " by booking.com. We were the only guests that I could see. This was a bad part of town !

Nothing was right with this place

• Reviewed: 17 March 2017

Needs to be updated. It was a bed, that's all you need.

They did the best they could for a motel on the side of the highway. It was clean enough and the staff was very friendly.

• Reviewed: 14 March 2017

Staff was not available for checkout. Had to yell out to any employee who could hear me to tale my key. Pretty sure there was prostitution activity going on while i was there.

• Reviewed: 9 March 2017

The TV had no reception to the Satellite, we couldn't watch anything good, only a few channels worked. Should get Cable better!

Mattress was comfortable, pillows fluffy and the sheets super clean. We slept really good!

• Reviewed: 4 March 2017

No conditioner in the bath, just shampoo (my hair is thick and was quite tangled, conditioner would have made a huge difference)

Tina went above and beyond to assist me. She was considerate, courteous and patient! She addressed my concerns professionally and without hesitation.

• Reviewed: 22 February 2017

This location is next to a night club thats open Friday and Saturday night to 3am. The drunks stay and party in this hotel after night club has closed. The walls are VERY thin. Lots of Big Trucks travel this route which you can hear and feel from your room. Vending machine is completely empty, ice machine looks dirty. The front office is dirty, I didn't want to touch anything.

• Reviewed: 23 January 2017

The bathroom was scary. We scrubbed and disinfected the tub before using it. And we still used shower shoes.

The front desk person was warm, friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 11 January 2017

The towels and the linen

I had a great experience here the best part was the lady at the front desk she was very kind super funny I had a blast checking in lol she was the best part of my stay..i Will be coming back... see u guys soon

We were placed in the room directly beside the loud 4-lane road, and the room smelled a little funny when we first arrived. The area didn't seem like the safest place, and I was a little worried about my car being parked out there with out-of-state plates.

The bed was massive and comfortable. The room was generally clean, especially the bathroom. The staff were friendly and knowledgable about the area, and the commute to downtown Savannah wasn't bad at all for the price of the motel. We took ubers at busy times and the most that they ever cost was $12.

• Reviewed: 1 January 2017

It was so close to the highway that you could hear traffic.

For the price it was incredibly clean and nice. Room had a fridge, microwave, ironing board, nice large flat screen television, and nice flooring.

• Reviewed: 31 December 2016

This property is used by prostitution, it was not clean the sheets alone speak a thousand words. I called the day before to confirm that I had a nonsmoking room, when we arrived they wanted payment up front and after we signed a form that we will not get a refund under any condition is when we got our key and room to find out it was smoked in heavily. We would never ever use Booking.com ever again for letting us stay in such a place. We can't believe we were even given this choice, Booking.com must not do their homework for the customers. We was celebrating a year of life after slipping into a coma exactly a year ago for 8 days.

The location was perfect

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

Old beat up hotel, I had to pay for ice!! Ugly and bad neighborhood. No hair dryer, bathroom door would not close.

Nothing. Very unattractive. Everybody in my family completely loathed the place.

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

I think the room was mopped with dirty mop water. No option for a smoke free room with booking.com and room smelled of smoke. They did run an air cleaner before I checked in so I'm sure that helped. Could use a pillow upgrade but I brought my own so I was good there.

It was the best price I could find for the Rock-n-Roll marathon. The outlet in the room was updated to include 2 USB charging ports. Room was about as expected for price at that time. No major issues with room. No major issues with staff.

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

No smoke detector in room. Neighborhood isn't that good with no restaurants near by, but didn't have problems. Microwave in room but didn't heat well.

Great wifi signal in room. The staff at the front desk was very friendly and helpful. The hotel is located close to the downtown area and other areas I was going.

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

The floor had clearly not been cleaned before our visit. The shower curtain rod was hanging by a thread. We had been in nicer motel rooms that were cheaper on our road trip, so the value was suspect. Also, our neighbours got in several fights on the sidewalk in front of the rooms during the night.

It was within a reasonable driving distance to downtown Savannah

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

bed cover was filthy. no coffee in room.

Liked the price until I arrived and saw the facility. We would have left if you hadn't already charged my credit card.

• Reviewed: 7 September 2016

bad neighborhood. fire detector going off. stains on sheets. hot room. weak ac. dead bugs in bathroom. tv was sketchy at best. dirty property, low end area / people

my refund

• Reviewed: 11 August 2016

I didn't like having to pay for ice, also not much to choose from as far as drinks and snacks.

The location was central for every thing we had planned. The rooms were good value and very comfortable.

• Reviewed: 10 August 2016

The place was a pit, it smelled bad, the AC was loud as heck and my girlfriend was propositioned outside of our room. Stay far away from this place. Booking lists this as a 2.5 review when I didn't say or rate anything as anything but bad.

• Reviewed: 29 July 2016

The staff was horrible. We got to the room and there were bugs in the room. Went to front desk and lady informed us they were just palmetto bugs and are normal because of the palm trees around. She continued to inform us that the bugs don't bite and it's okay. Ended up walking away from room and getting another room that was much more clean and friendlier staff. Absolute horrible experience.

• Reviewed: 21 July 2016

Not a good part of town. Felt very unsafe at night. Only some fast food nearby. Room was poorly renovated and poorly cleaned. Major black dirt on doors from dirty hands. Toilet would not stop running. Center ceiling light had been removed and ugly spackle patch job done. Fridge door majorly rusted at floor. Microwave broken. No coffee pot (I was told it had been stolen by a previous occupant). Desk and dresser in room were extremely beat up. Bed cover bleach stains. Room had about a 1.5" gap under front door that opens onto the outside of the building. Not a good experience overall.

Low price

• Reviewed: 20 July 2016

This place APPEARS TO RENT BY THE MONTH , / WEEK. I did not like the idea that I thought I held the room on a card and I was not allowed to pay cash when I arrived, it was already charged to my card - I was shown in print- but I did not see that when booking!! I did not like the mold and rotten walls that had FRESHLY COVERED PAINT OVER THE WALLS!!!! THE MINI FRIDGE DID NOT WORK! The doors were hard to close shut , TV remote did not work, MOST OF ALL SOMEONE CAME BANGING ON MY DOOR AT MIDNIGHT AS IF HE WAS REALLY COMING IN THE ROOM NO MATTER WHAT- A GROWN ADULT MALE- I called the office and the lady said she ran out to see, but no one was there !!!!! MIND YOU ALL THESE COMPLAINTA ABOUT THE ROOMS ARE DOUBLED BECAUSE IT WAS LIKE THAT IN "BOTH" ROOMS !!! I was scared for my family, we packed up and was not given a refund or credit and as if it was not a great big deal this happened to us - I was traveling with all girls and one little boy !!! I literally had second thoughts at check in , I wish I had of done my research better !!!

One room was larger than standard room

• Reviewed: 5 July 2016

The place was under construction during my stay so there was some banging and I had to move my car so they could paint the exterior without splashing my car.

Downtown Savannah is around 10 minutes away. Could not have stayed closer for a better price with free parking. I have stayed at other America's Best Value Inn and I think they are one of the best hotels in their class. That being said, it's purpose is to be affordable don't expect the Ritz.

• Reviewed: 24 June 2016

The room was pretty grim. Lumpy repairs to the walls and ceiling. A rotted and over painted bathroom door frame. The fridge was rusty on the outside - fine on the inside. The free wi fi was poor to the point of useless. A real problem when you are travelling. The woman in the office showed surprise and ignorance but it was the same every day. The hotel is not in a residential area but there is a limited food mart over the road and a Waffle House ten minutes walk away

It was very clean. The bus stop was right outside. The buses are only one an hour but they are punctual and reliable. 17 minutes to the historic area. I felt safe. I had four nights here for the price of one night in a downtown hotel

No complaint

All

Everything. The staff was super helpful and kind. The room was clean and pretty.

the room, and the bathroom was very dirty. I was surprised. I was cleaning my bathroom before using.

It was run down

Nothing really

Clean

No coffee pot in room. A little outdated

For the money it was a good room.

The bathroom door would not shut but everything else was ok.

The staff was really nice

No carpet new paint