Reviews of AmericInn by Wyndham Madison West 3 stars

516 Grand Canyon Drive, Madison, WI 53719, USA

#15 of 55 hotels in Madison

The hair dryer in our room didn't work. This was really the only thing that was not functional.

From check in at the front desk to working with room staff, every single person we encountered at this AmericInn was friendly, helpful, and competent. The breakfast was very good, with plenty to choose from beyond the two waffle makers. The pastries and breads were plentiful and fresh. Although the carpets in the halls and the room we were in are a little older and stained in some areas, the overall room was quite clean. The sheets were crisp and all the linens were changed between guests. That's not always the case, but it was obvious and made the room appear brighter. There was a small coffee machine and our AC unit was super effective! It was 94 degrees outside, but our room was cool and comfortable. The mattress was firm, but not hard. We slept quite soundly, an end table on both sides for our C-paps. We traveled with our little puppy and were pleased with the small grassy areas which made potty breaks and clean up very easy. We were able to use a side door with our room key which allowed us to go in and out in the middle of the night without having to walk around the hotel. The water pressure was steady and adjustable in the shower. The towels were a generous size (as am I) and fluffy. Even though it was a little outdated, it was, for the price, one of the best hotels I've stayed in.

While staff were friendly they weren’t always accommodating. Unsure on things like shuttle availability and late check out.

Staff were generally friendly, a relaxed atmosphere and in good location for a number of restaurants.

it was very crowded and loud at pool and food area.

It was quieter than expected--when we checked in their was a large group of children there for some tournament. We were concerned it would be too loud. But it wasn't

Room decorated in a drab style. Size of window is very disappointing. Cramped bath. Housekeeping came to door the first time at 8:30 am! And 2 other times between 11 and 12, annoying!

The breakfast was hot and pretty good! Good coffee, kept very fresh. Diversity of other guests. The 2 mealtimes were opportunities for guests to interact.Great choice in serving Spotted Cow, pretty good wine as well.

I loved the idea of a kid-free hour for the pool after 10, but I checked back there twice and the pool was still infested with children. (Who are these parents who've never heard of bedtime?) The breakfast room, the amount of food, and the staff working breakfast all seemed a little inadequate to the volume of hungry guests. The mattress wasn't as firm as I like it, but of course this is a matter of taste.

They were outdoing themselves on the free perks (free cookies and coffee, even free nachos during happy hour). Room was nicely decorated and had everything you need. Pretty quiet too: I heard little if any noise from other rooms (though the air conditioning was quite noisy).

We were very happy with our experience and would certainly return on our next trip to Madison.

The mattress was very comfortable. The room was quiet and clean. We had coffee and a cookie when we checked in which was a nice treat. The breakfast was excellent. The egg and cheese omelet very good. My husband liked the waffle. I also enjoyed a yogurt.

Parking, no guide for the television, or guide book to let us know what was on. We are from out of state so it was frustrating.

The room, cleanliness, location, amenities.

When we booked online we were asked if we wanted a extra bed for our third child which we accepted and did not bring an air mattress when it came time for that bed we were told that we were not in the room that could have an extra bed so we had to sleep three people in a bed which was uncomfortable and not expected. We would’ve brought our air mattress had we known overall the hotel was very good I would say don’t offer that as an online option if it’s not going to be honored

The check in was quick, pool was great, good breakfast and easy checkout.

At check in, there was a college tennis team checking in. The man at the desk handled them quickly and efficiently. The other person at the desk helped those not with the tennis team, so there was little wait time. Well done. quickly answered my questions . Check out was very fast, too. Room was clean and comfy.

At 10pm a bunch of kids came into pool area, I thought this was adult time. And of course 10-12 of them got into the hot tub. Whatever happened to adult time? We are the ones working hard and paid for this. Staff should have kicked the kids out. Some of the parents were in the pool but I wouldn't expect them to follow rules, this in turn teaches kids to not have to follow rules. Just disappointed as I was looking for some quiet time

One office guy just eyes me everyone I walked through the lobby. This was normally the guy a night. Everyone else seemed very nice.

Great location for after work. Food, shopping and drinks.

Nothing! Everything was great.

The bed was really comfy and the shower was also nice. I also liked the 5-7 happy hour downstairs. The staff was super nice and helpful.

With two little ones it would have been nice to have an area where they could safely play or move around some, the hotel room was a little confining.

The pool and breakfast were great.

We went for my birthday but I was not informed that there was a childs tournament. Was not able to use the pool. Asked the front desk our last night there when the pool opened in the morning so I could try to get a dip in. Told us due to adult swim and issue with the cops the pool would not be open. Came down later the next day and it was packed with kids again. Very disappointed in the night staff lying to me.

Loved the mini fridge so useful it would have totally sucked if it was not there. Happy hour was amazing very unique keep it up

Finding a dirty sock by the bed.

Great variety for breakfast. Biscuits and gravy were the best! My daughter liked the waffles! The pool area was clean and spacious. Our room was quiet and comfortable.

• Queen Room - Mobility Access/Non-Smoking

Happy hour should last a little longer

Front desk clerk was very friendly and helpful, he upgraded our room which was specially good because 3 of our 7 night stay we had our grandson come spend the night with us.

• Queen Room - Mobility Access/Non-Smoking

The staff was extremely friendly and always helpful. The Breakfast selection was great, options for all types of diets. The manager's reception was an awesome time to un-wind and relax after a long day.

• Queen Room - Mobility Access/Non-Smoking

Wi-fi seemed spotty in different areas of the room; has not been a problem at previous stays. Halls were a bit noisy at night, but not enough that I even called the desk; I assume staff would have addressed the issue if I had requested.

Clean place, great price, easy access from beltline. Overall excellent value; this is my third stay at the site. There is a daily "manager's reception" from 5 to 7 that could make a light dinner if you were so inclined. I've partaken before; did not happen to this visit.

Showing signs of wear. Shower squeeled when on. Noisy heater and just ok for room cleanliness. Snowed day before arrival. Parking lot was terrible!

Breakfast and coffee were enjoyable

The front desk staff gave out my information to someone looking for my room. Regardless of the situation this should not have happened. I feel I have a right to privacy and feel it was violated.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

Several things at the managers reception were disappointing. First, the beer taps did not work, with no attempt to correct the issue. The complimentary wine was served in a glass pitcher wich was chipped. There was a small container for garbage which filled up with no attempt to empty. Dirty dishes were laying around. Although breakfast was good we had to ask to get a table to be cleaned for us. When we checked out we were not even asked how our stay was. Quite disappointed overall and no one seemed to care!

They said they a managers reception with complimentary beer, wine, and hot and cold appetizers. They had complimentary breakfast.

There was nothing to complain about

The hotel was a pleasant surprise. Very well kept. Close to an amazing amount of shopping, movies, restaurants. I would stay again in a heartbeat.

• Queen Room - Mobility Access/Non-Smoking

vending machines were dodgey...

Great value for money, clean and well appointed rooms and facilities. Breakfast was a bonus - all day coffee stand was great - very helpful staff

Great value in a good location for my trip. Room was clean, beds and pillows were comfortable and it had a fridge and microwave. Managers reception with drinks and snacks in the evening and a really good complimentary breakfast made this hotel selection a pleasant surprise. Also, staff was very friendly and efficient.

• Queen Room - Mobility Access/Non-Smoking

That the breakfast was during the time I was working so I did not get to enjoy

This hotel is the whole package from the meet and greet to the amazing staff !! The room was beautiful and very clean !

I would say there is a little upkeep that they could take care of. There was chipped paint on a wall in the bathroom. But it didn't affect my stay!

It was a room and hotel that took care of our needs! Comfortable!

I stayed for 12 nights for business and I would have liked a little more variety for breakfast. The choice was limited, but if it was just for one night I’m sure it would have been fine.

No complaints.

Have stayed before, the daytime manager, who has been there for years, is absolutely fantastic (I forgot her name, but she is wonderful, smart, quick, kind--Hispanic, long black hair, she's the best).

Noisy fridge in room - can switch air con off but fridge had to hum away all night.

Comfortable room if a little dated in decor. Helpful and pleasant staff

• Queen Room - Mobility Access/Non-Smoking

The manager's reception was exactly what we needed after a long travel day from the East coast. The Wisconsin brew on draft was a real treat, along with the hot drummettes and wings. Thank you for that added touch for weary travelers!

I didn't like white towels which they were smelly. I think they are clean but maybe because of using smelly soap. Also, there color were nearly yellowesh than white.

I like the space of the room, I like the size of the bathroom, I like the indoor swimming pool, gym, I like the breakfast, I like the parking and I like the free hot drinks.

• Queen Room - Mobility Access/Non-Smoking

Can't think of anything. The entire experience was a good experience.

Excellent value. Very nice room. The continental breakfast had a lot of options.

Would have liked an accessible outdoor seating area

Loved our stay here - great location in suburbs, mall 1 min walk away, fabulous facilities on-site, and excellent bus service to downtown 1 min walk on Odana Rd. Catch the #73 to West Transfer station then #6 into State St Downtown - all for #2, pay on bus. Hotel had fantastic complimentary breakfast, and drinks & nibbles every evening. Quiet very comfortable rooms - definitely recommend:-)

The breakfast was better than average for this type of hotel. There was fresh fruit and a variety of options, with good seating. Even though the hotel was quite full, it was not too crowded. The manager's reception day added a nice touch. Coffee and tea were available at all times and the coffee was pretty good. Staff were friendly and helpful. The small exercise room had reasonable equipment. There are many places to eat nearby. Overall I found it to be a very pleasant stay and would return again.

The hotel has a daily managers welcome where small snacks and beverages were offered. However, minors are not allowed to enter the room where the event was being hosted. We opted not to attend.

By far the best breakfast we had during our 3-week road trip to US. As a tealover, I valued getting to choose from several different varieties of tea bags. The pool was great and we just loved spending time there. A lot of shops and restaurants were within a walking distance.

• Queen Room - Mobility Access/Non-Smoking

Didn't care for the wine or snacks served were not good. Lost cable conection several times.

Breakfast selection excellant snd the bed was comfortable.

• Queen Room - Mobility Access/Non-Smoking

It's just a little dated and the breakfast could include some other healthier options like more fruit but good selection overall

Basic hotel but very friendly and helpful staff. Would stay again. They have a 2 hour free drinks and appetisers reception every day. Unfortunately we couldn't make it but that's a nice treat for anyone staying!

I don't really know.

The room was very comfortable. Breakfasts were filling. It was not in walking distance to UW or downtown, but it was a nice suburban-feel and close to areas I wanted to visit. Driving from and to the airport was very easy!

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

Staff were just doing their job, I did not really feel welcomed. Many times we passed the front desk on our way in and out, never a hello. I often initiated a greeting and sometimes they said something, other times I was met with a puzzled look. The room was very noisy with the outside building ventilation motor running constantly. The pool room smelled heavily of chlorine, not well ventilated apparently. The breakfast was disappointing, the fruit was never fresh, and always the same choice- by our last day (we stayed 5 nights) the bananas were rotting. Many heavy bread, waffle, muffins and other sugary choices available.

The beds were comfortable, the shower worked well. I appreciated the empty refrigerator where we could store our own items. The wifi was fast and always worked. We were most grateful. Parking was convenient, and location was very good for us.

The continental breakfast was good. Staff was very pleasant and accommodating. Room was neat and clean and having a fridge in the room was great as we were there for an Ironman. We will be going back to this hotel.

• Queen Room - Mobility Access/Non-Smoking

This is just a personal preference, and not a huge complaint - but that amazing breakfast could be even more so if more items were fresh, and not pre-packaged. That is just me, thought.

The breakfast has a reputation... and when I compare to other hotel stays, it was great. The location was within easy reach of my office and area attractions. It's a lovely town.

The location was great! The staff were very friendly, helpful and professional. The room was clean and the bed was awesome! It was very quiet at night, so got a good nights sleep. The happy hour was a added bonus. The breakfast was very good! Will stay here again!

• Reviewed: 25 May 2017

The parking lot was a bit of a challenge as was full and we weren't sure if we could park in the neighbouring parking areas of the adjacent businesses.

A great value and location for our needs visiting family nearby. Big bonus was the Manager's Reception, 5-7 p.m. The best breakfast and wide selection of food we've ever experienced in hotels. Liked having coffee / tea available in the lobby, and cookies in the evening. Pool & whirl pool were well cared for and at good temperatures. We had a king size bed with a couch in the room that we greatly appreciated. We like the "neighbourhood feel" of this hotel and a quiet location. The staff was friendly and helpful. We are news junkies and were thrilled to see MSNBC & CNN on the TVs throughout the hotel!

• Reviewed: 25 May 2017

I'm glad that I have a car--if you don't, you need to uber downtown.

The hotel is not located downtown--actually at the west suburb of Madison, but there are many restaurants, and CVS nearby. There's also a big mall called West Towne Mall within walking distance. The room is not newly renovated, but clean, and the king-size bed was awesome. The price was very reasonable.

I liked everything.

I liked everything, the king size, big flat screen television, comfy leather sofa, microwave and minifridge. The continental breakfast was great and so were the wings at the daily manager's reception.

Nothing everything was great!

Rooms were very clean and bed was comfy. Quite rooms even thought the hotel was very full. The Manager Happy Hour was a nice treat. Breakfast was excellent a lot of choices.

• Queen Room - Mobility Access/Non-Smoking

Perfect location for our purposes. Staff was very friendly and courteous, and they were very happy to accommodate our request for rooms close together. Delicious, varied breakfast and great early evening snacks!

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

Easy location, very good breakfast selection. Happy hour with beer/wine/appetizers from 5-7pm daily. Very helpful staff. Clean and comfy room.

the pillows

Everything was great, FYI this is the second time doing this. We loved the manager's special, awesome idea!!! We will stay again. Oh yeah the pool was nice Thank you, Ellen

• Queen Room - Mobility Access/Non-Smoking

New staff put a hold on my bank account with my credit debit card for double the amount of the room charges. Charges were already paid in cash and I wasn't even told a hold would be put on for amount of the charges. Took much time and many phone calls to bank and hotel to fix this mistake. :(

Staff were very friendly and helpful. Loved the Managers Reception from 5-7pm. Also great variety of breakfast food and didn't run out, even with a large crowd. I liked the hot food best.

• Reviewed: 16 April 2017

The breakfast did not taste good in any way.

We really like the extra storage in the bathroom and larger fridge. The staff was great and the pool was perfect for our young daughter.

I can't think of anything.

A comfortable bed and clean room are my top priorities and this motel met them. I liked that the pool was a walk in, though small and only 5 ft. deep at the deep end it did meet my needs. I thought the breakfast was better than most, I especially appreciated that I could find so many options (waffles, fruit, cottage cheese, three different egg choices, potatoes, biscuits and gravy, cerieal and more.)

• Reviewed: 2 April 2017

• Queen Room - Mobility Access/Non-Smoking

The refrigerator in our room was quite loud which made it difficult to sleep. We unplugged it the second night and had a much better experience.

Bed was comfortable and complimentary coffee was offered at the coffee bar 24 hours a day. Room was clean and spacious. Loved the "Manager's Reception" each day with free apps and beverages. Highly recommend Nani next door for delicious dim sum.

• Reviewed: 28 February 2017

There was a loud, angry person trying to get into a neighboring room at 1AM, it lasted for at least 10 minutes. Was very disturbing, woke us up and had a hard time going back to sleep. We will return to the hotel and give them a second chance but will not be returning if something similar happens again.

Excellent breakfast

• Reviewed: 25 February 2017

Too many people in the eating area. The staff could not keep up with the large group. Still a deodorizing smell to the room.

Staff is always very friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 21 February 2017

Price was steep for the quality of the room. The food had potential visually, but the taste was very bland. The happy hour room is generally a fine idea, but the room was drab and dungeon-like.

The desk staff was friendly and the parking was convenient.

• Reviewed: 23 January 2017

The front desk lady who checked us in was extremely unfriendly. She didn't tell us when breakfast was, or where, or where the elevator was. She didn't smile once and acted very inconvenienced by us checking in. She also didn't tell us that the pool was closed due to contamination - we overheard her tell someone else. This is key information considering the only reason we even stayed in a hotel was to take my son swimming for the first time. Your front desk staff set the tone for a visit and we were unimpressed. I will not stay at this hotel in the future

• Reviewed: 20 January 2017

• Queen Room - Mobility Access/Non-Smoking

The bed The view of the pool to the Lobby. I wanted to swim- I'm female- alone. The hotel was filled with what appeared to be a construction meeting and a full booked house of men. Crowded lobby (filled with visitors that were mingling.) again- easy view from gathering area to the pool.

The coffee The pillows

• Reviewed: 31 December 2016

Mattresses feel like they need to be replaced.It made my back extremely sore. This was the second stay with the same result.

Breakfast was great. I love the selection.

• Reviewed: 6 December 2016

Renovations were going on at the entrance.

The room was very clean comfy bed and the price very reasonable definitely will book another stay here.staff was very friendly.

• Reviewed: 20 November 2016

This Inn can go from great to excellent with just a few changes. The refrigerator in the room was so loud that we couldn't sleep well. It would be best if silent refrigerators can be placed in the rooms. If not, please get rid of the refrigerators altogether. Similarly, the heat was so loud, but that is understandable. Finally, there was only one elevator and it took so long to go from one floor to another.

We really liked our stay here. The rooms and common areas were very clean. The room was spacious. The staff was nice and helpful. Overall, staying here was a great value.

• Reviewed: 13 November 2016

The staff was helpful and nice. They were helpful in giving some ideas of places to eat and cites to see. The daily drink and food was nice and the breakfast had a good selection.

• Reviewed: 4 November 2016

I always check rooms thoroughly. Stain on the mattress cover, though sheets were clean. Very short toilet. Construction on first level, but that didn't affect our stay.

Manager's Special hour, comfortable bed and pillows. Good, filling breakfast, though some baked goods were a little stale.

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

first room smelled like cigarette smoke. had to move. second room smelled musty but we stayed. pulled down bed covers - half empty lotion bottle. housekeeping cheerfully changed sheets. coffee in the room was for full sized coffee maker. we had an individual coffee maker.

staff responded quickly and courteously to all of the problems we had

• Reviewed: 11 October 2016

They were painting outside, we got a second floor room disputed being there on a Monday..our view out the window was of painting g scaffolding

Staff was great. Happy hour for guests was nice.

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

Check-in - there was only one staff member and she was on the phone for at least 10 minutes. Felt bad for her. But usually travelers are tired and want to check in quickly.

Late check-out, breakfast, manager's happy hour, free wi-fi, pool, hot tub

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

Some noise with the outside renovation and almost no disability parking and overall limited parking

The manager's buffet 5-7PM has very tasty food and beer and wine free and the free breakfast was a great bonus

• Reviewed: 16 September 2016

The shower head was horrible. Not enough water flow to get shampoo out of my hair.

Very nice hotel for the money. Very clean and the breakfast was really good - eggs, sausage, waffles and more.

• Reviewed: 14 September 2016

The table I sat at for breakfast was not clean when I sat down. I continued to eat at this table and it was not cleaned until I had left. It would have been better if it had been cleaned while I was eating.

The breakfast selection was truly surprising! It had so many choices, that most anyone would have found something they loved to eat. I particularly loved the eggs.

• Reviewed: 8 September 2016

Good location near West Towne Mall Comfortable beds. Good variety of food for breakfast. Also provides complimentary coffee and tea the who day. Also provides complimentary finger food, beer and wine during manager's reception from 5 pm to 7 pm daily.

We've stayed there before and really liked the access to the west side of Madison. The breakfast is always special. Will book again when we come back to Madison.

• Reviewed: 29 August 2016

There was repair work going on, due, I was told, to a roof leak. The machinery being used (when I wanted to take a nap between 4 and 5 p.m.), beeped loudly and constantly. When it stopped, the scraping of the outside wall was directly next to my room on the 5th floor. The hotel was not filled to capacity, yet I was put in a room right next to the work being done. I called and complained, but there was no getting a nap. I was attending a long play that evening and had just driven into Madison from Chicago. I never felt I was being heard - when I complained again the next morning as I was checking out, the manager was not very understanding. She gave me a coupon for 20% off my next visit only when I suggested she could have been more compassionate. I do not understand why I would be put in a room exactly where the work was being done!

• Reviewed: 11 August 2016

One of the front desk clerks was a bit snippy. Otherwise everything was fine.

Bed was great. Eggs not so good. Pool and whirlpool very nice. All in all staff very friendly.

• Reviewed: 9 August 2016

Lots of options for breakfast. The happy hour was a nice thing also. Staff were accommodating as well. They also have a large lobby which allowed people to gather without it feeling overly crowded.

• Reviewed: 4 August 2016

The first night we heard a dog barking at bedtime. The motel served appetizers, beer and wine in the evenings, which was wonderful, however, we did not know about that until it was too late.

Staff was friendly. Check-in and check-out went smoothly. The room was nice and had everything we wanted, including a microwave and fridge. Breakfast was great, with many good items to choose from. We slept well on the comfortable bed. The location was convenient as well. It was easy to get to off the highway, and I'm always in seventh heaven when there's a mall nearby. There was some construction going on outside, but that didn't affect parking or entering the building.