Reviews of Amway Grand Plaza Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton 4 stars

187 Monroe Northwest, Grand Rapids, MI 49503, USA

#8 of 33 hotels in Grand Rapids

• Junior Suite with King Bed

The room was very nice and large, the staff was very helpful and friendly. We were able to walk to a concert at the Van Andel Arena without even having to step outside!!

• King Room with River View

We paid almost $600 for a room that didn't even have a mini fridge. That was frustrating because we couldn't have food or drinks that needed to be kept cold. For that price it should be a given! I've never stayed somewhere (even cheap) that didn't have a small fridge.

Having access to the skywalk was great because the weather was crappy while we were there.

• Classic Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

We were told we would have a fridge in our room and be on the tower side but we were on the other side. We were also told at check out that they would take the late checkout off our bill since we didn’t stay til the time of the late checkout but they didn’t credit the bill.

Hotel was lovely. Pool and fitness area were great. Went to the spa and had a couples massage it was also fantastic !

A little pricey

Stayed in a Tower suite, beautiful views of the city and an amazing spa tub w/ rain shower really made the night special. The pool was small, but the locker room had great facilities including a steam room.

• Tower Luxury Suite

The bed was quite uncomfortable. The mattress was like sleeping on cement and then the pillows were the complete opposite. They'd sink right down. Other than that, great facility.

The shower was amazing. Three different heads is crazy. I also loved the view,it sure made it special.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with River View

Our room wasn't ready at check in, had to wait an hour

Gorgeous hotel, very elegant, within walking distance of downtown hotspots. Great restaurants, quaint boutiques & gift shop, Starbucks on site. Top knotch staff & amazing stay!

• King Room with River View

The cost of the room ($320) was very expensive for a pretty standard hotel room. I feel as if the room cost was inflated because of GVSU commencement?

The staff was extremely nice, polite and accommodating.

• King Room with River View

I don't have anything to add here.

My first time at the Amway and I was very pleased with all aspects. I got a river view room which I loved. It was close to the Devos Convention Center and had an attached catwalk which made it super convenient to travel back and forth. The front desk lady was very pleasant and helpful. Shops and a Starbucks on sight added an extra awesome touch! I will definitely stay there again when in Grand Rapids!

... nothing ...

1) Bryson was superlative as a valet in every way; professional, friendly, personal!!! 2) Greg was outstanding as a Bell Hop as well; professional, friendly, personal!!! 3) The Shoe Shine young man was pleasant & did a good job.

• Queen Room Pantlind

The concierge Megan knew it was our first wedding anniversary and left us a nice handwritten card and a bottle of champagne when we first arrived. Nice touch!

• Classic King Room with One King Bed

I happened to stay there during a tradeshow/seminar for college teens, so it was a little noisy, one elevator went out of order... I guess it would have more enjoyable and quieter otherwise.

Great location, downtown Grand Rapids. I really enjoyed the food and service at the restaurant. Room comfortable and cozy, in the older part of the hotel.

• Classic King Room with One King Bed

In the older section of the hotel, it sounded like the walls were paper thin, and you could hear everything.

The convenience of the location was perfect. The bed was the most comfortable bed in a hotel that I have used in a very long time.

• Classic King Room with One King Bed

High school or college conference was there. Kids everywhere. Had to wait 20 minutes to get on an elevator. Kids in large groups took over the hotel. Made our stay miserable.

The rooms were nothing special for the price. The bathroom was so small, my husband and I had to take turns. Two people cannot stand in the bathroom

• Classic King Room with One King Bed

The basic room in the classical side is a bit small...but it has everything you need. Just feel it would be nice if the bathroom is a bit larger, also the water isn’t exactly hot during the night but they seemed to have the problem fixed in the morning.

Beautiful decoration in the hall of classical side, have the option to pick Modern or classical buildings to stay in, staffs are friendly, location is excellent. Overall great value!

• Classic Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The vending machines were not in service on each floor during my stay. There wasn't anything that made my hotel room stand out from some other hotels I've stayed in such as Country Inn and Suites or Holiday Inn.

Every staff member that I encountered was very friendly and professional.

• Tower Luxury Suite

The love sofa was a little stiff and the fabric wasn’t comfortable. We also could’ve used a microwave in the room.

The bathroom was so amazing, we fell in love with the tub. The bed was extremely comfortable.

• King Room with River View

The view wasn’t that great even tho I bought a room with a “good view” The water in the shower was warm for 2 minutes. Didnt even get hot. The room I actually paid for was taken so I had to downgrade

• King Room with River View

Our room was not what I paid for , and we had our room changed and it was a little better but definitely not wat my husband and I have experience in the past , the room was very outdated and uncomfortable and I was soooooo disappointed!!!!!!!!!!!! And I was treating my daughter who needed a break , and I told her this was a beautiful hotel 😢

• King Room with River View

Unfortunately, we did not like the parking situation. If I'm paying $250+ for my room per night, I would at least expect to park for free. $29 a night is a little absurd. Other than the parking, there was nothing wrong with our stay. :)

We stayed in the tower and we loved the view! The bed was extra comfy and the shower was immaculate.

• Classic Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The beds were amazingly soft and comfortable. It was great to be able to walk to the Griffins game completely indoors! We ordered room service for breakfast and it was delicious!

• Classic Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The hotel is beautiful and I understand it tailors to high end customers but if excepting business in the form of concert go-ers then the staff need to be more helpful. The valet were wonderful and friendly and personable. Also the staff of the gift shop by valet were very helpful telling us where we could go to eat.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with River View

The bathroom door stuck badly and there was no ventilation in the bathroom causing everything in it to get very wet when taking a medium warm shower. The boxframe had some brown spots on it and the room wasn't vacuumed well as there was clipped toe nails under the bed frame and desk.

The bell men were extremely friendly and remembered us

• Classic King Room with One King Bed

Way too overpriced, the view was terrible and the $22 pizza we ordered tasted like a store bought frozen pizza. I'll never stay here again.

It was close to the venue we were going to, with easy access.

• King Room with River View

My bathroom smelled and when I called the desk they said they would send someone to take care of me. No one ever showed to assist and the odor continued until the next am

• King Room with River View

THERE WAS NO HOT WATER IN OUR ROOM! Little was done to fix this issue, and NO refund or voucher for future stays was offered.

The hotel was very nice. The view was amazing. The on-site dining was great.

• King Room with River View

They didn't clean the shower very well before us, there was hair on the floor and wall.

Loved that the room had a fantastic view of the river and two windows!!!

• Classic Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

We attended an event in the DeVos Center so staying at the Amway made the participation MUCH easier without driving. Plus, we were able to get a great rate! The hotel rooms seem to be kept up well!

See above

Loud, boisterous group down the hall partied all night, spilling into the corridor; told them to quit- no avail; called security at 3am- took them 1/2 hour to arrive; noise erupted again shortly thereafter; kept us 1/2 awake all night. Valet parking way too expensive- $34 for 1 night!

• King Room with River View

It seemed that they skimped on some of the comfort aspects. The bed was poorly made; insufficient covers to be warm and a cheap blanket in the closet. The bathroom was not well appointed for a nice hotel.

It was centrally located to several venues that I visited. The view of the river was lovely.

• King Room with River View

Very over priced, I called ahead to have champagne and snacks in the room as we were celebrating our 20th Wedding Anniversary, and the items were charged to my room, but not delivered until I called the front desk and room service. Parking is expensive.

Clean room, comfortable bed.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds Accessible with Roll-In-Shower

Temp of room was SO hot. Couldn't get it to cool down to comfort sleeping levels. Valet parking was rude. Chaotic check in. We stay in hotels at least 5x per month, the price we paid we were just hoping for something better than your average hotel. It was nothing special.

Bed was comfortable. Most staff friendly. The staff at the sorts bar were great!

• Queen Room Pantlind

breakfast in the lobby was terrific too bad I could not have a bellini .the bedding was awesome tell me the ins and outs of that ,where can I buy ,and name thanks. ill be back

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds Accessible with Roll-In-Shower

Sports bar excellent food & drinks. Staffing with enough people to accommodate questions great. Location...location. Was very pleased the hotel desk team sent me a bday card hand signed.

• Classic Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

After hours, no security presence and Random groups of young individuals loitering around hotel and in connecting corridors.

The proximity of the venue to the hotel

• Classic King Room with One King Bed

There was no dance floor at the top of the Amway Grand Plaza in Cygnus Restaurant. Wonderful views too bad there isn't one

Stunning chandeliers and "old"lobby area Great location - staff are very professional , extremely efficient and friendly

• Junior Suite with King Bed

The remodeling of the front area restaurant closing it. There was a special event at the main restaurant closing it to others. This was disappointing.

It is a classic property in a great location with charm.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds Accessible with Roll-In-Shower

I wished they would have offered me a room on the tower side. I had never been there before and did not know there were two sides.

The place looked very nice inside and out. Especially the lobby, restaurants, and fitness area. Also the location was perfect.

• Reviewed: 20 August 2017

• Classic King Room with One King Bed

The bathroom was the best part of the room. It was very small! It was more like a bed and breakfast plus it was over crowded with furniture no bathroom fan and noisy wouldn't stay there again not worth the money was very disappointed

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with River View

Got sick from their food. Makes me want to avoid this hotel next time. Also, did not have a nice breakfast restaurant.

Bellman Fayez was great. Got us an upgrade to a suite!

• King Room with River View

Horrible service. We arrived shortly after 4:30pm and our room wasn't ready to check in to. We waited for almost another hour and a half before we could get in to our room. Mind you, we had somewhere to be at 7pm which gave us barely any time to relax and get ready. The valet service was slow--I asked for my car to be ready by 6:45 and they hadn't even left to get it when my husband asked for it at 6:55! Honestly, not worth the price if the staff can't meet your expectations. We will stay somewhere else next time we are in Grand Rapids

Nice hotel, beautiful room

• Classic King Room with One King Bed

Walls were thin could hear people in other rooms. The tub was broken. Limited amenities comparable to a holiday express. View was of a parking garage. Every hotel I have stayed in around the same price point blew this hotel out of the water.

The bed was nice.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds Accessible with Roll-In-Shower

Yikes...the beds in this hotel definitely need to be replaced....double queen beds in our room and both were worn out.....it was not like sleeping on a cloud.....it was like sleeping on a brick...ouch! Visited this hotel several weeks ago, different room and same experience...as an aside....daughter and I have allergies and left a little stuffed up...perhaps they need to change the air filter too!

Clean and quiet facility...great location....lovely resturants

• Queen Room Pantlind

The room was shabby. Television didn't work half the time as it would lose its signal. People running up and down the hall at 3:00 am and yelling was disruptive. The air conditioner wouldn't work and it was 90 degree temps. The concierge was rude. Then, to top it off, had to wait 45 mins for my car from valet.

The person working in the tshirt/ sundries shop Was the friendliest person working there.

• Classic Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Bathroom tub drain did not work so could not take a bath and too late to have anyone fix it and still want to take a bath. I am sure the staff would have been happy to help and resolve the problem, but as I said by the time I knew it was broken waiting to have it fixed wasn't an option.

Like the size of the rooms, high ceilings. Dinner delicious at Kitchen on the patio. Staff all amazing, polite and helpful.

• Classic Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Didn t like long line and wait at check in, and no microwave or frig in room..."what to heck! We called to get a bottle of wine and we were put on hold and obviously forgotten. Had to go to G T sport to get wine to room. Thank You, Allysa... atleast you were on the ball!

Beautiful place with nice pool area.

• Classic Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The rooms really need a mini fridge at least. A mini-fridge and microwave are necessities in my room when I stay at a hotel. Ordered room service for 1 adult and 3 kids and it cost $105 plus tip for breakfast! The 22% service fee should either be reduced or a tip shouldn't be necessary. Parking is $24 a day! On top of the high room rate, there are many other charges added to stay here. Not sure it was worth it and I won't stay here again.

Beds were very comfortable. Room size was decent. Loved the walk-in closet!!

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds Accessible with Roll-In-Shower

Not enough towels or coffee for 4 people. Put in handicap room without being told. Bathroom doors were awkward and doorknob fell off one.

Bed was comfortable.

• King Room with River View

The first room was very small ... damp... no tub ..refrigerator... and just was over all not what was advertised in the picture for $269 a night . We were moved to another room . They could not find our car the next morning, took 30 minutes , they tagged the keys incorrectly. Charged someone else dinner to our room and had to have it corrected at check out . Staff corrected all of it but it was just a lot of mistakes at every cross point of our trip .

The staff was awesome ! Corrected all the things that were not correct ! Great customer service .

• Queen Room Pantlind

The room was extremely dated, loud with outside noise, the bathroom had an odor coming from the venting.

The property has a lot of amenities all under one roof.

• Classic Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Wish the room had a bathtub and a shower. Better explanation about the differences between the new tower and the original hotel.

The staff was friendly and accommodating. The pool area while on the small side has a fabulous locker area with everything you need from shampoo to mouthwash. The restaurants on property serve fantastic food, worth every penny!

• Classic Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

We were not able to watch certain TV shows on regular stations during the night time. We had to get someone to work on the toilet because it leaked but they came immediately when we let them know we had a problem. The bathroom door 🚪 also squeaked when we opened or closed it very loudly.

The location was excellent. The staff members were upbeat and polite.

• Reviewed: 13 May 2017

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with River View

It was graduation weekend, so prices were inflated. Also, while the pool was nice, there were families overtaking the entire pool area by splashing around erratically. Had these been children that would have been one thing, but these were adults. They then entered the fitness area leaving all equipment and the floor wet (a serious safety risk). The one staff member supervising was nice enough, but did not do anything to address the problem. When we left we advised her of the fitness centre being completely soaked (and the cause) and she apologised, but did not address the overly rowdy guests. Also, there is construction on Pearl St which was a little bit of a hassle, and the parking garage was full during our stay so we had to park elsewhere.

Good location with updated decor and furnishings. Staff was extremely friendly and accommodating. Overall, we were very happy with our stay. The room was not extremely cramped, and you are given a gift certificate to Starbucks if you forgo house keeping, which was nice!

• Classic King Room with One King Bed

Staff was mixed. Some staff was overly friendly (bordering on fake), trying to make up for those who were not great. The hotel felt understaffed, long lines everywhere. They have a very inefficient process in the breakfast/sports bar restaurant that literally drove people away. They made people stand in line for at least 10 minutes to get into an empty restaurant due to the need to pay first. Then the hostess that processed the payment would abandon the front desk to take the party to their table. One late afternoon when my husband and I went into the sports bar for a beer the hostess was almost threatening that if we weren't going to sit at the bar, we MUST come back to her to get a table. The food at the breakfast bar was sub standard, cold eggs, cold biscuits.

While the hotel is under construction, it is a nice blend of an old hotel that has been joined to a new tower. The lobby on the old side is beautiful. I would have liked to know that our room was in the old tower, because the bathroom was tiny with little counter space. I should have asked to move, but didn't due to how busy the hotel was. The pool and fitness center was lovely! The location was good for us.

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with River View

The coffee in the room was very good but only powdered creamer was provided. Not cool!

Every encounter with the staff was friendly and helpful. Our room and bathroom were very clean and the beds were quite comfortable. Loved, loved the Wolfgang Puck Kitchen Counter restaurant for its HEALTHY food, convenience and good coffee!

• Classic Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The sports bar on the street level. Only a had full of tables, with middle aged to older cleintele who appeared to be with friends and family who appeared to be trying to have conversations. The TV's were turned so loud that most people only stayed for one drink and left. Not enjoyable. A person who appeared to be a manager was busy inventorying all of the liquor and should have been able to be able to read what was happening with the customers but seemed too busy to notice anything.

Being in an historic 100 year old building that has been left with much of its original charm and ambience.

• Classic King Room with One King Bed

Larger bathrooms. I would've like to have been in the tower. Long waiting line when I arrived at the hotel by Uber to be dropped off

Comfortable beds. Clean. Quiet. AWESOME workout facility for a hotel! Starbucks in the lobby!

• Classic King Room with One King Bed

The sound from the hall was like the people were in the room with me. The bathroom was very small.

The staff was amazing. They were friendly & most helpful. The complex has multiple restaurants & shops.

• Reviewed: 1 March 2017

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with River View

We really enjoy staying at your hotel. We went to a Griffins game. The walkway makes it so easy to get from the hotel to the game and back. Glad the sports bar stays open later, so when we return we can have a night cap.

• King Room with River View

The only concern we had was when we waited in live 15 minutes to check in we got our room keys and headed to our room to drop our belongings off before we met up with our friends; well to our surprise there was someone else's belongings in our room. Good thing we are honest people and we didn't rummage through their belongings. Made us a little Leary of how secure our items old be or how secure your rooms really are. We called the front desk to explain the situation and they were very sorry for the inconvenience. They said the person that was in that room was checked out. They said they would send a bellman up for our for longings if we wanted them to. We asked them to send a Dalman to pick up the belongings that were in our room that along to someone else. And let us have the river view room that we paid for. They told us we could not do that because the room would not be secure then. Ha ha, it really wasn't secure in the first place. We ended up taking our stuff back down to the front desk and re-checking in to another room. Unfortunately a Riverview room was not available for us at that time. After much time in discussion they moved us A different room and gave us a $15 gift credit. Not quite what we were expecting for our stay at the Amway hotel.

• Reviewed: 14 February 2017

• Tower Luxury Suite

The wi-fi connection was slow.

The view was amazing and the personnel of the hotel was so helpful and attentive. We had a nice relaxing time and the location was perfect to walk around downtown.

• Reviewed: 30 January 2017

• Classic King Room with One King Bed

Water didn't get hot. Walls are thin. Heater made a lot of odd noises. Quiet time not enforced. Small room for the money. Very dated and in need of restoration. TV controller was not for satellite which made switching channels difficult.

Bed was OK. Decor was nice.

• Reviewed: 26 January 2017

• Classic King Room with One King Bed

Room was located on south corner and was extremely loud. Heard traffic and emergency vehicles all night long. Horrible nights sleep. Room was smaller than anticipated. Ended up checking out before 8 a.m. A lot of money for such a short stay.

Staff was nice. It is right next to Ruth Criss Steak house and across the street from the Chop House. Walking distance to most everything downtown

• Reviewed: 23 January 2017

• King Room with River View

There may have been a miscommunication about late checkout, housekeeping came in a bit earlier than expected, while we were in bed, no harm done.

Overall customer service and facilities absolutely magnificent .

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with River View

We did not get the room we booked. Booking.com advertised a 450 sq.ft. room, but we received a room only 2/3 that size. It wasn't big enough for 4 people to stay comfortably, and it was a "bait and switch " from booking.com. I have tried to resolve this issue with booking.com, but they have not accepted their responsibility.

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

• King Room with River View

Elevators were extremely slow, especially at checkout. Not adequate to handle number of guests. Frustrating having to wait! Didn't have breakfast at hotel because it would have taken too long.

Loved window blinds by remote control. Bed was very comfortable. Decor was perfect.

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with River View

$270 bucks for a small handicap room. No toiletries. No bathtub. Hard pillows. Not a good value for the money.

Nothing checking was a long long line. This is the very last thing a guest wants to waste valuable time doing.

• Reviewed: 2 December 2016

• Classic King Room with One King Bed

TV was not great, no HD and some channels did not work. Room was not spick&span although I certainly would not call it dirty.

Staff very friendly. Hotel has charming old ambience, not new and fresh but they make it work.

• Reviewed: 30 October 2016

• King Room with River View

Some of the front desk help, like Kate, were great; others whose names I didn't get, not so much. Example: a couple of the staff appeared to be doing something behind the counter with their backs turned while I was standing there, obviously needing help. Not good.

Fayez, one of the bellmen, couldn't have been nicer. So was the valet team outside. Room clean and comfortable... great view! (We were in the "new part.")

• Reviewed: 30 September 2016

• King Room with River View

Confusion walking in from the parking garage...couldn't find where the heck to go. Then once I found the front desk I had a long wait with only 2 people in front of me. I wouldn't have minded the wait if anyone that worked there would have at least said hello or acknowledged that I was standing there. That was the only downside to anything.

Really cool looking hotel - a perfect combination of historic and modern. Good facilities - really cool pool and outdoor rooftop tennis and basketball courts. View from the room (river view) was amazing - best part was the remote controlled window shades!

• Reviewed: 27 September 2016

• King Room with River View

Check in was poor. 4:00 pm checkin is late for a 5:00 wedding which we were late for due to grim on your iron which stained my shirt. WE WERE TOLD WE COULD CHECK IN EARLY IF WE ARRIVED EARLY. WE ARRIVED AT 2:30, PAID FOR THE ROOM BUT WERE NOT ALLOWED IN UNTIL 3:55.

View of the River was exceptional Service was good in spite of your iron leaving a mark on my shirt 30 min prior to a wedding. STAFF PROVIDED A NEW SHIRT FROM MEN'SSHOP

• Reviewed: 27 September 2016

• Superior King Room

We couldn't check into our hotel unat 5:30 (an hour and a half after our scheduled check in time, which was very late). No mini bar in room, breakfast was deliveries 30 minutes late.

The Amway is Centrally located and a quick walk to anywhere downtown. They had an amazing choice of restaurants connected to the hotel for easy dining.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2016

• Classic King Room with One King Bed

I've stayed at this hotel before, it just doesn't have the same fresh feeling of other hotels nearby. I feel like it's really average as far as amenities and room offerings.

We live in the area so it is a convenient downtown location at a reasonable rate.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds Accessible with Roll-In-Shower

I was not pleased. I expected clean towels on the second day of our stay and to have a general cleaning and replenishing of supplies in the room. We got back late on the second night to see that our room had not been cleaned, towels and toiletries had not been replaced, trash not emptied. We had to call and it took them a long time to bring us clean towels, etc. I had decided to retire for the night before they showed up. This is a relatively expensive hotel and I did not expect to have to tell them to provide basic hotel care. Also, our booking confirmation said we would have 2 queen beds. We had 2 full sized beds. Not pleased. Also, we were arriving a little early and I called in advance to see if our room would be ready and I was told they could not tell me anything until I showed up at the hotel...Really not pleased.

• Reviewed: 28 August 2016

• King Room with River View

Wasnt real crazy about the check in at 4pm and check out at 11am for the price we paid for the room. We came from out of town to go to a concert at Van Andel and it seemed a little rushed at times.

Beautiful Hotel. This was the first time my guest and myself ever stayed here and enjoyed the whole atmosphere and dining establishments in the hotel itself.

• Reviewed: 25 August 2016

• Queen Room with Two Queen Beds Accessible with Roll-In-Shower

There are no people who care. The hotel is built in a way that there are no walls. Sound travels like crazy. Service sucks!

The initial appearance is great!