Reviews of Aqua Aloha Surf Waikiki 3 stars

444 Kanekapolei Street, Waikiki, Honolulu, HI 96815, USA

#106 of 210 hotels in Honolulu

• Moderate Room

Bedroom was very small - felt very restricted with everything pushed together in the small confines of the room. The concierge didn't seem interested in her job - if you didn't know what to ask, she volunteered very little information.

Location was excellent. Only a short walk to the beach.

• Superior Room

The breakfast was a HUGE disappointment. You have to go into the neighbouring Chinese restaurant where there were only a few options of continental breakfast available (a lot more options for Asian style breakfast). On top of that, the breakfast system was with a tiny little piece of paper that could not be re-issued if lost or damaged! Very backwards... The swimming pool was not available due to refurbishments (there was an option to go to a nearby sister hotel).

Excellent location, lovely Hawaiian Tropic amenities, huge and comfortable bed and pillows. The room had a balcony where we had freshly brewed coffee (complimentary with the room). We used the laundry and it was cheaper than going to a laundromat!

• Deluxe Room

The bed was pretty uncomfortable. They also took a security deposit that they were not meant to charge - it was for incidentals. However, I see from my credit card statement that it’s been charged, so now I have to contact the hotel to get it back.

Good location. Acceptable enough for a one night stay while in transit.

• Superior Room

Renovation being undertaken making it noisy during the day. Although had an upper floor room, louvred windows meant noise from street below constant, especially at night. Small pool which often in shade.

Very friendly staff. Room of good size and well serviced. Central location with easy access to beach and restaurants. Breakfast a bonus as were daily newspapers, beach towels and chairs.

• Moderate Room

When we first walked into the room, the carpet was wet and sticky, we didn’t had a choice but to put on slippers. The breakfast every morning serves the same kind of food and the Chinese staffs always has a look that makes your morning suck and loud.

It was at a good location. Close to everything in Waikiki.

• Moderate Room

The breakfast is the only unsatisfying thing. No juice, no cheese.. mostly fat and asian food. Unfriendly staff.. plastic plates and cups. Foam coffee cups.. pretty dull.

• Moderate Room

Street noise, pretty intense. Jealousy windows don't block noise.

Bed was very comfortable. More fruit for breakfast. Very nice place. We will be back.

• Superior Room

Complimentary breakfast was not to our liking. We had great breakfasts at nearby Appertito. The pool was still not open as it was supposed to be by our reservation date.

Very comfortable bed. Very nice staff. 5 minute walk to Waikiki Beach which was acceptable for the price. Complimentary beach towels. Open air lobby.

• Superior Room

the hotel has private parking which does not need reservation (as stated in the booking page). When I arrived in the hotel quite late in the evening the parking was sold out, it was really disappointing and I had to find another parking that allows for an overnight stay. The continental breakfast was included, actually it was a Chinese breakfast...still good but not continental

the position, the hotel was close to one of the main street in waikiki

• Moderate Room

It was noisy,Some of the facilities were closed when we were led to believe that they would be open (the pool),poor lighting for reading,the room was clean but out dated and some of the counter staff unfriendly. We were also told that the contractors doing the outside of the building would be finished prior to our stay.

Location,that the room had a balcony,that there was luggage storage available for early check in clients and we were able to use the restrooms prior to check in.

• Moderate Room

Breakfast was sub-par especially considering that you can get a healthy and delicious Acai bowl somewhere else for about the same price. My room on the 2nd floor was infested with cockroaches and I could only change to a higher floor room after paying the difference in room price per night for the better room...

Great location in the heart of Waikiki. Perfect for a short-term stay.

• Moderate Room

The pool was closed most the time, the rooms were tiny and windows didn’t really close right nor did the sliding door. And the worse part was getting woken up at 7:30 am every morning w construction guys drilling and scraping children awake every morning except sun... and the vouchers we were given for free breakfast was a joke as the lady was extremely rude I saw her get into a fight w a few hotel guest she was rude and loud and even when the hotel guys tried to tell her she was out of line she refused to listen and got attitude back and walked off. If I was in my Town she would probably had gotten her a** beat tbh

I liked the staff

• Deluxe Room

Very tired and dated rooms. Breakfast not nice.

Love the view most of all, lucky to be on the top floor! Bed was super comfortable and housekeeping always kept the room very clean. Good facilities throughout hotel and nice location. Enjoyed our stay

• Superior Room

I would like more fruit in the breakfast, only oranges and apples, when you have pineapples in the islands. I came back to the hotel to rest and several times the cleaning was also in the room, which as a little inconvenient. So I preferred to no get the cleaning done I needed a rest from the walking and swimming. Also the replacement of shampoo and soaps was sometimes bad, got lost of body lotion but not the shampoo.

The breakfast was nice, continental. Love the bed, the location (2 blocks from the beach). Staff was very nice.

• Moderate Room

The breakfast buffet did have American style food but was more catered to Asian guests. With dishes for breakfast like Spicy Kimchi, kernel corn (hot), mein noodles, salted peanuts. Besides boiled eggs, the only other eggs offered were nasty style scrambled. None of the "unusual" dishes were identified and difficult to know what you might be eating. The coffee was served with powered creamer - yuk. The pillows on the bed were hard as rocks. While the room was very clean, the shabby fit and finish was super old and dated. I could not go out onto my room's balcony as there was crumbling decking and they wired the door handle shut from the outside. It looked like the renovation crew had left the property months ago. The window unit air conditioner needed cleaning (according to the red light on the unit).

Staff were excellent. Room and linen were clean.

Elevators are slow.

Excellent location, good room for the money, good breakfast. They even lend you a towel and a chair for the beach ! We were early, and they did what they could so we had the room a bit earlier. Internet was super fast.

• Moderate Room

Room was not clean,therw was saltball over table and stove,showrr wasn't clean good there was dirty suds and hairband floor... Reported but didn't hear nothing back. We had reservations at Aqua Aloha Surf but when we got to the hotel was told Aqua Aloha Surfvuad to place us at Aqua Ohia WaiKikuyu Hotel. I feel first of all U could've been inform by email or phone that our reservation was changed to another hotel couple blocks away could've save my time and money, and most importantly My Wife and I felt very uncomfortable and very unsatisfied customer service and very Worried for our safety if health and insensitive room..I appreciate if someone could get back to me ASAP for I feel this action was very unprofessional andI was place in a unsafe unsanatize environment that I pay another if money for,which I gften fly out for business and book slot if hotels for stay but if nothing's handle with my situation I will no longer use Aqua Hotels for any of my stays over or business... Thank You For Your Time...

• Superior Room

The room was very spacious, clean and overall pleasant. Staff were especially friendly and accommodating. We arrived late and needed to do laundry and were still accommodated. Location is also excellent.

• Moderate Room

No free water, poor restaurant with messy foods, wall construction during my stay, when i got up early morning, a worker was working near my room/window. Terrific experience ! I'll never book this hotel in the future

Nothing to touch me

• Superior Room

Waiting 45 minutes to be checked in while the 1 staff member checked in tour groups. Air Conditioner so noisey could not leave on at night. Windows were louver type that did not seal so wind and noise were always going to be an issue (even on 10th floor). Very dated.

Was in a handy location to shuttle and shops in Waikiki.

• Moderate Room

Housekeepers were very noisy outside the room A LOT. There was also some construction going on outside that was quite loud outside my room as well.

Internet and free breakfast were fantastic. Room comfortable when traveling a long way and needing much rest after being jetlagged.

• Moderate Room

Utterly dreadful breakfast! Went once and skipped it for rest of the stay. The food selection, table setup, staff and service made me feel as if I had stumbled into a Chinese factory canteen. The mainly Chinese guest information sheets confirmed that this might just have been the case....

Quite affordable and reasonably comfortable hotel option for Waikiki. As with all Waikiki hotels the beach is only a short walk away and the restaurant options nearby are plenty.

• Moderate Room

The breakfast was very disappointing. Not enough variety. For example fruit apple and orange not very tropical, pineapple and rockmelon better options. No jam to put on toast. Also no bacon available.

The room was comfortable and clean. Location was very central to Waikiki.

• Deluxe Room

Tea and milk weren't even supplied. The room was clean but very dated. I was sent an email prior to my arrival to say I didn't owe any more monies. I get to the hotel and they charge me another $46. I showed them the email and the fact it said all taxes and resort monies were included and all paid for but they didn't care. The staff were very unpleasant to deal with and not customer based.

The hotel was in a good spot

• Moderate Room

The banging of doors specially in the middle of the night. The breakfast could be varied , it’s always the same every day, it’s s but annoying to have the same food for ten days.

Centrally located to a lot of things, walking distance to the amenities.

• Moderate Room

We stayed there for about 10 days 8 years ago. It was a fun place with smiling staff and we really enjoyed our stay. We were here only for one night this time and thank God for that. Checked in by an efficient but non smiling non helpful lady. Checked out by a ‘who cares’ non smiling young man the next morning. Thought I had left something in the room, emailed, the housekeeper got back to me only after another email from me; she got my name wrong and the date of my stay wrong, another example of someone just going through the motions but not really caring. Wouldn’t stay again, if the staff can’t stand the place, why should I?

• Superior Room

Didn't really enjoy the breakfast. Pancakes were good though, hard boiled eggs and scrambled eggs were good. Breakfast is part of an Asian restaurant they did a good job to cater for all clientele, just wasn't what I was used to, did try some of the more unusual breakfast options.

We had requested a quiet room on an upper floor away from the elevator. Very happy with our room, overlooked the canal. Used the lanai daily. Position of the hotel is excellent, very close to shops, restaurants and the beach. The free shuttle to Ala Moana was very welcomed.

• Moderate Room

They were able to check us in as soon as we arrived (7am), staff extraordinary friendly, really cheap room rate, fantastic location, we were on the 3rd floor and had no noise issues from the street

Rooms look much nicer in photos, they are quite old and run down but not horrible. Air con is very loud but my partner and I need to noise to fall asleep so this did not bother us. Rooms on the smaller side would have been nice to have a chair and somewhere to put our suitcases, breakfast was inedible do not eat there!

• Moderate Room

Though exceptionally clean and maintained, the facilities were outdated and air conditioning in the room didn't really seem to cool that well. I also seemed to wake up with bites on my skin mosquito or other critters. My windows were always kept closed so I doubt it was mosquitos, but it's possible since they are old non-energy efficient windows. Even with these flaws I would rate this section no lower than a 7/10.

The value, location, and service were exceptional. The price is great. It's in a good area walking distance to many shops and restaurants. The staff was also always helpful and curteous.

• Moderate Room

We were told we were put on a waiting list for the parking lot...that never happened. We had to park at a public lot and pay even more for parking. Breakfast was disgusting.

The location was close to everything but the neighborhood was bad.

• Moderate Room

The room was old and terrible. Had a lot of maintenance issues. Very noisy location and could not sleep very well. Lift was very slow and small in area. No tea making facilities inside room. Was not up to standard.

The choice and quality of the food was disgusting. Was not a continental breakfast.

• Moderate Room

The staff was extremely helpful. We had been flying all night and they found a room that was already made up and let us check in early. It was extremely helpful and made our stay much more enjoyable.

• Superior Room

The lady we checked in with was trying to be nice and placed only a $200 + the intintial 1 night fee that had paid for ($360 total approx) and on my first night there they locked me out of my room because i didn’t have the remaining $146 on hold for all three nights. I was so embarrassed and so upset because they had already collected over $300 from me and i hadn’t even stayed one night yet and was getting treated like that. I’m happy i didn’t stay there the 4th night because we found a hotel (Hotel Renew) for the same price closer to the beach and way more modern and nice.

Free breakfast

• Moderate Room

There was no main light in the actual room (a ceiling light). There was only a lamp on a bed side table, and we were not advised about it. Also, in the US there are always taxes and so many extra fees charged on top of the room price, so the price advertised on booking.com seems misleading to me.

Room very clean, was there only for a day and didn't have a chance to check the swimming pool and other facilities, but they looked good. Reception offers beach towels and discounts to movies.

• Moderate Room

The staff were very unfriendly, hard to talk to, and very unhelpful. Went to have a shower on day after visiting the beach to find no running water. Rang front desk and they stated it would be off for another half hour. No notice of it being turned off, no apology from staff when discussed.

Location was good, walk down the street to the main areas. Slightly quieter than the Main Street. Beach towels and free DVD hire were good.

• Moderate Room

The rooms was very small - not even space to put a chair infront of the "desk"/ cupboard, the windows would not close/ open and the door to the "closet" was broken.

• Moderate Room

Pool area was quite small.

Good location at or near Waikiki beach. Room was clean and staff helpful. Free drinks and live hawaiian music on Tuesdays at the lobby :) Breakfast was very rich and versatile for both western and eastern taste.

• Moderate Room

The rooms need an update the pop corn ceiling is awful the entire hotel needs an update and remodel of rooms for the price charged... the continental breakfast is reheated awful Chinese food ...

The central location of walking distance

• Moderate Room

Although bathroom could have done with an upgrade, there was nothing I did not like about the hotel or staff.

Staff were friendly and helpful. Room was comfortable and will be much better when the renovations are finished. Bathroom and wardrobe would do with a refurb but was clean and the shower was excellent. Vicinity was excellent - an easy walk to everything - and the hotel was definitely value for money. Would stay there again and have already recommended it to others.

• Moderate Room

The property as well as our room exceeded our expectations. We spent 2 weeks in Honolulu in a few different same price hotels, but Aqua Aloha Surf Waikiki was a way better than others. Room was modern unit, with balcony and quiet A/C, but what's definitely worth to point out - BEDS WERE EXTREMELY comfortable. Best double mattress we ever slept on. The location was brilliant - minutes walk to the beach, same distance to street known for night life and foodtruck's square with best 'value for money' seafood we could imagine. Staff was hospitable and yeah - we'll definitely stay with you again, hopefully this year! :)))

• Deluxe Room

We got charged more than what we thought for the stay. Had to pay $100 deposit that we weren't aware of!. Breakfast was the same every morning and it was Chinese (noodles and egg fried rice)! Checking in took us ages as only one computer lets you do this. One member of staff was very unhelpful and moody.

Location was great! Room was cleaned everyday, and we liked the fact you could borrow towels, umbrellas, beach mates etc to take to the beach with us instead of buying them. They aslo have a holiday rep there everyday so its easy to book trips. One afternoon for an hour they gave us free cocktails which were very nice!

• Moderate Room

At check in, there were things under my be (receipts, trash ) Bathroom products were used Noisy location Bugs- room was buzzing w gnats n mosquito

Price

• Deluxe Room

Advertised spa was closed, charged $25. A day for parking but hotel does not own enough spaces to take all guests cars, hotel does not tell you lot next door is not there’s so we got a $40. Parking ticket. 15 stories but only two ice machines are on ground floor, windows are not close able and most gap open with wind whistling thru,

Location, frig , microwave, I felt safe

• Moderate Room

A more varied breakfast menu, especially for vegetarians. Whilst I quite like the local food my partner had a small choice.

Staff in all areas very good and helpful. Room was clean and well serviced,

• Moderate Room

That the parking is too high, a $25 per day!!!! It should be maximum a $15 in my opinion.

The breakfast is not that good, with food more concentrated in Asia food, than the American stile.

• Moderate Room

Basically the size of the room and the breakfast and the pool was also very small!

Free breakfast but not very good. We had sort of a snack breakfast only twice. They would be better off not offering a breakfast at all!

Most of the staff at the hotel were nice and friendly. However, the 2 waitresses and 1 waiter working at the hotel breakfast buffet were the opposite. I am bilingual, so I was able to understand their rude comments about me and other tourists inside the buffet. I was so shocked. My friend told me about her similar experience inside this buffet when she went last year. We really hope that this situation can be improved.

Good location, close to the beach, bus stop and convenience stores. With a river right beside the hotel, we had beautiful views from our balcony.

• Moderate Room

Just a little more choices for breakfast

• bed • location • view Pretty good hotel for money you pay, everyone is very nice and hotel rooms are super comfy

When making the reservation I requested two beds, only one bed in room and a sofa bed. When I went back down to let the front desk know I was told the consider thè sofa bed the second bed....a sofa bed should not be considered a second bed, it is in no way as comfortable as a bed. This should have been explained when making the reservation as I would have booked somewhere else that had two actual beds

The included breakfast was far above what I expected

• Superior Room

The bathrooms was terribly maintained and in poor condition The bed and the pillows were awful and the windows In the room do not shut so you are left with the sounds of the street all night long

• Moderate Room

The breakfast buffet was better than some "continental breakfasts" that are included, but the quality of the food wasn't the best. I didn't like the way the eggs were cooked, and I usually like eggs done any way at all.

The cleaning staff were particularly friendly.

• Moderate Room

Only a microwave and coffee percolator and small fridge. Could use an electric cooking tool.

Breakfast included. Wifi was good quality. We did not use the beach towels but that is a plus if you go to the beach. We did not rent any movies but that is a plus.

• Moderate Room

The bar across the road opposite Aloha Surf Hotel was loud & noisy with drunk patrons yelling up to 3am some nights, making it hard for us to sleep!

Great location- close to transport, shops,cafes, street food, night market, Waikiki Library. 10 minute walk to the beach.We appreciated the free tea/coffee in the lobby every evening, DVD movies and free shuttle bus.

• Moderate Room

The pillows/bed are not so comfortble (individual problem) and the AC is loud which you got to turn on before you go to bed, to turn off just before you sleep.

Workers are very kind and helpfull, also funny! It is located where everything is. The room was small but fills the standard of a Europeen 3stars hotel. The breakfast was nice.

• Moderate Room

You must pay an extra 25.- USD per night for so called „using wifi, cleaning, breakfast etc“. But when you book it says it is all included. Perhaps that‘s common in HNL, but I prefer Hotels which are transparent in pricing ad

Close to the beach, supportive staff at the reception, clean

• Deluxe Room

DVD player in the room (a ps3) was provided without a power cable. Then the power cable was delivered but the controller was not working. Took 2 days to get the stuff done. Telephone was disconnected. Room cleaning was approximate. Old sofa with stain and cracked ceiling in the bathroom. For a deluxe room I was expecting more. Staff ok, but Ms. Fanny gave me a lot of conflicting info: e.g. first day she told us the breakfast was open until 10, but it was until 9 so we had to skip it. No refund provided. Poor breakfast for non Asian.

Free Dvd rental, free towels, friendly staff, location.

• Superior Room

The parking garage was very limited with space and parking spots. The breakfast buffet offered a lot of food but not decent food - we only ate breakfast at the hotel one time and never again. My air conditioning unit was right at the head of my bed blowing on me all night either in my face or on my back and made it very difficult to get comfortable as it was too stuffy to turn all the way off.

The location of the hotel was absolutely perfect and just a five minute walk away from everything we needed. The value was decent for the money. The staff was super helpful when we needed them. The exercise equipment is outdoors which is pretty awesome - never been to an outdoor gym before. They have beach towels at the front desk for use so I didn't have to pack one. Simple check in, simple check out!

• Moderate Room

The tv kept turning off then on.

I stayed for 8 hours just to sleep. I left at 6 am. I was not able to eat breakfast😞or enjoy the pool or other amenities that the resort fee covered😞Resort should offer 50% off for ppl who are only staying overnight. The bed was comfortable, room was smaller then Pagoda but it was nice. Wish I could have been able to stay a little longer😍

• Superior Room

Pool area was small and a bit dated - and in shade in afternoon. Best to go to the beach. Restaurant was very low quality and to be avoided, but lots of other choices nearby - even the coffee shop in the hotel which also served food.

Large room with lounge area, kitchen and king bed Bathroom had separate sink and shower area but a bit dated Balcony was great with view over mountains and city Locations was close to shops, restaurants and 5 minutes walk from Waikiki beach Staff were excellent Coffee shop had great food, coffee and staff

• Moderate Room

Stayed in standard room and would not recommend. Also stayed in Superior room - thoroughly recommend. Standard room: Bed was only double, lumpy and uncomfortable Room was outdated. No balcony Aircon couldn't be used once in bed as it blew straight on you and couldn't be redirected. Windows were louvre glass and couldn't be completely closed so street noise and heat came in Breakfast included from the restaurant was pretty ordinary - would not bother. Better just getting it from the coffee shop also in the hotel which was much better quality - worth the extra few dollars

Staff were really good Clean (although did smell of cleaning fluids).

• Deluxe Room

Although the breakfast was complimentary and there was a wide variety of food (asian and american breakfast), we had to buy our own milk for cereal (it was watered down which seems shockingly cheap) and cream for coffee - only powder. Also, there was fresh fruit buy nothing local (cut apples)

The staff is very friendly and efficient. The room was small and the decor was old but it was very clean.

• Moderate Room

Breakfast- coffee, luke warm. Pancakes really nice. Other food didn't really appeal to me, but my son was happy with other food. Bed was comfy, street not noisy. Easy walk to downtown, shops zoo, etc. Quiet in the hotel overnight too.

Dianna at Reception Desk was outstanding. Aircon too LOUD, coudnt sleep. Had it on first two nights, then off for two nights. Got hot. Told Dianna and she organised a free room upgrade and to check aircon in our old room. very efficient lady.

• Moderate Room

The air con was very loud. In my room - which was on the second floor - there were cockroaches. One of them really big! And I had one extremely uncomfortable situation - in the middle of the night the security officer opend the door and came into my room because he thought it was not occupied! The receptionist called to apologize but the unpleasant impression remained...

It's a nice hotel in a great location. The staff was friendly and helpful, WiFi worked really good. Nice view from the balkony. Adequate rooms size.

• Moderate Room

I thought I was getting a queen bed it was short in length Walls are very thin can hear everything especially the couple fighting at 3 am

The staff was friendly and very helpful with ways to get around Cleaning staff friendly and did a good job

• Moderate Room

The sound of busy Waikiki does penetrate into the rooms. We were on the eighth floor and still experienced a lot of noise during day and nighttime.

The location is superb (it does not have ocean view, but it is located in the middle of the Waikiki area, with the beach close by). The breakfast is very extensive.

• Moderate Room

The breakfast, unfotunately it was the same every single time, and after 2 days you didnt wanted to eat there. The breakfast crew wasn't nice.

The hotle was really good and well located, easy to reach and close to the beash and to the bus stops. We really liked it!

• Deluxe Room

Breakfast could be better . The lady who pepares pancakes is very rude, does not smile , always in a bad mood!

Excelent location , close to the beach and shopping

• Moderate Room

My reseavation was including breakfast They tried to ge more$$ for AMMENITIES fees including breakfast We started on a sour note The place was what I expected--older ---a little rundown but we like that area

• Superior Room

The value for money is definitely not great. Three things in particular were the ones behind this answer: (1) the room was small, very noisy and not properly illuminated. (2) the cleaner knocked at the door at 8.30am asking to clean the room and wasn't polite at all. (3) breakfast was very poor and the lady at the reception didn't even know what kind of food was supposed to be on the buffet.

Very well-located.

• Moderate Room

There is a 25 dollar per day parking charge. Breakfast was not particularly great despite a fairly wide range of offerings.

Efficient check in. Nice modern clean rooms. Well located in Waikiki slightly off the beach strip.

• Deluxe Room

Breakfast was basic, not all staff are in the Hawaiian mood. Only 1 elevator working whilst we visited.

The location of the property is great if you are looking to shop and head to the beach. The room we stayed in was big and had everything we needed. The bed was big, comfy and the room was on the top floor giving the best view of the neighbourhood. Overall fine for the price we paid.

breakfast included in resort fee didn't not have enough basic things like variety of cereal and things to put on toast like jams etc. We had to buy some things at the local supermarket it catered to asian visitors rather than australian/american

comfy beds , great that we could get dvd's and games for playstation at no cost. Also staff very helpful and friendly. Weekly managers cocktail party a really nice idea.

• Deluxe Room

They don't keep up to the standards poor very bad . Service = 0 Standard rooms =0 Value for money = 0 Waste of money don't stay will spoil the stay in Hawaii Don't do refund of you want to cancel - money trapping hotel. Tourist trapping hotel. Won't return or refund money.

Nothing bad hotel

Breakfast was the same all week. The staff in the breakfast area are different to the ones that work in the hotel it’s the biggest down side, it was far from welcoming nor a pleasure to go too, the Family slowly drop off over the week. Rooms are small. Don’t even think of staying in for the day the pool is small and the Gym is outside with poor equipment

The location was not as far from the main strip as we first though on the map. Close to all shops and main areas. Most staff where friendly never in your face about things unless you ask. And if you do they are more than happy to assist.

• Superior Room

Room was SO small. Not enough space in bathroom for toiletries. No nightstand on 1 side of bed (for glass watch book...) pool was very cold. buffet breakfast in attached Asian restaurant was poor quality.

Super friendly helpful staff. Cleanliness of room. Lovely linens. Very good location. Let us stay connected to wifi while we waited 4 hrs for flight.

Browse Aqua Aloha Surf Waikiki traveller photo gallery