Reviews of Avania Inn of Santa Barbara 3 stars

128 Castillo St, West Beach, Santa Barbara, CA 93101, USA

#57 of 71 hotels in Santa Barbara

Based on 1915 hotel reviews

• King Pillow Top Bed

Sometimes you had to wait for a table during breakfast. Also, the ladies there were working hard and bringing the stuff that was missing but sometimes you had to wait a bit till they managed to bring what you wanted (plate, jot water, scrambled eggs).

Great location, very nice and helpful staff, very comfortable beds and a nice spacious room.

• King Pillow Top Bed

Carpet really smells in elevator. No hooks in the bathroom to hang up wet towels. Used soap was left in shower from previous people. Breakfast quality was really poor and service also. Staff were talking to each other while tables were dirty and food supplies ran very low or completely ran out. Only rubbery scrambled eggs, greasy sausages, cheap muffins and pastries and apples and oranges. No fruit or bananas to put in the oats available (only healthy option) or boiled eggs or natural yogurt (without sugar). Pool area was stark and needs renovation.

Room was very nice and appeared newly renovated. Bed was very comfortable. Heated Spa was great.

• King Pillow Top Bed

Our room faced the afternoon sun, and takes some time to cool down. Not many restaurants around the location, so need to walk 20-30 minutes to downtown for more choices.

Convenient location, close to the railway station and within walking distance to the beach and SB Harbour. Recent renovations give it an updated look.

3 bed suite. Very clean. Short uber ride to downtown area. Great staff! If you like seafood you have to go to the Drunken Crab! Great food and fun experience for all.

• King Pillow Top Bed

When we arrived there were construction works outside our room. We asked what time in the morning they start so if it was early we could move room. We were told that they would start at 8 at the earliest however the next morning we were woken up at 7 by the noise. When we returned from dinner at 10pm the night of our stay there was a homeless person asleep on the corridor outside our room. When we brought our complaints to management we received no explanation. Overall it was a very unsatisfactory stay.

• King Pillow Top Bed

Noisy room above and also rude reception staff at check out. Refused to listen to any feedback or provide good customer service. Construction work going on next door not announced to guests, so expect disruption at 7am.

Clean and good location. Beds very comfortable.

• King Pillow Top Bed

The breakfast room was small relative to the number of guests. It was a bit crowded towards the end of the breakfast period. The pool was really small and uninviting.

Thé staff were friendly and helpful, and we received an upgrade. The bed was comfortable. The location is good for access to the beach and the wharf.

• King Pillow Top Bed

The manager was incredibly rude to my sister when she was checking in as well as myself when I asked her a couple questions regarding checkin and checkout times. She told my sister check-in time was 2pm yet she told me it was 3 pm, got loud with me and said she didn't care what I thought when I told her she didn't need to be rude, made another remark saying "whatever". I asked if she cared about her business and she replied saying "no, and why are YOU here?" I told her she just lost business because I was never going back, she replied with "I don't care". I think her name is Samantha. Never been treated with such disrespect!

Not too far from the beach or state street

We took the train from Los Angeles to Santa Barbara that arrived around noon. We still had a few hours until check in so we thought we would at least drop off our belongings so we could walk around town. We walked in to the Avania Inn and there was a woman sitting behind the desk who made no attempt to greet us or even get up from her chair in front of the computer. It took one member of my party to say hello to her to elicit a response. We then asked if we could leave our bags behind the counter or another safe location and she said we could place them in the corner near the A/C in the lobby. I asked if they'd be safe there and she said there was always someone at the front desk. So we left to walk around town and when we came back to check in around 4 PM and there was no one behind the desk. I had to say, "hello?" to get her to come out of the back office. We then checked in but she was very impersonal the entire time. Her customer service skills were definitely lacking. The front desk employee is the one who creates the positive experience for the guest as soon as they arrive to their destination. They set the tone for the entire stay at the hotel and she definitely dropped the ball. If anyone from management reads this is curious who the employee was, she was working Friday, May 25th in the afternoon.

• King Pillow Top Bed

Very pricey for what you get...that said, Santa Barbara is overall over priced for lodging. Seemed like a $85 room for almost 3 times that.

Good location, close to hwy 101 & the beach.

no smile

Staff don't seem too friendly, never smiled and look like the whole word was against them at times. The guest ahead of us was sent to a room without being cleaned, and was not even apologized.

We had a queen room one of the beds when you sat on the corner the bed fell to the floor. The bolt on the door would not lock. The towels were scratchy and thin.. For 297.00 way overpriced the only good thing was the location.

Not to much.

Breakfast could've been better, but it's free so get what you pay for. The patio furniture for our ground floor room looked like it hadn't been cleaned in a long time; Lots of dead leaves and cobwebs too.

The proximity to the beach and restaurants is a huge draw. Beds were comfy. Room was surprisingly quiet considering how close we were to the road.

Receptionists were a little disorganised and breakfast was good although they didn’t replenish some items even though breakfast was being served for another hour.

Refurbished room was nice, reception was smart too.

• King Pillow Top Bed

The staff was rude, the manager in particular. There was construction that started at 7am and literally SHOOK our bed waking us up. When we complained the woman at the front desk who claimed to be the manager said she couldn’t do anything about it. Will never stay with them again. For $200 a night it was a total rip off

Proximity to the beach

• King Pillow Top Bed

The breakfast.. We didn't feel very well after the pancakes and eggs, but maybe that's because we're not used to it. Unfortunately there weren't a lot of options.

Everything was great The room was great, the whirlpool was relaxing and your just a short walk away from the beach.

• King Pillow Top Bed

The room and bath was small. The shower had mold growing on the ceiling and upper wall.

I liked the cost per and that the room was updated to today's standard.

• King Pillow Top Bed

Brilliant location within easy reach of the beach and harbour etc. Absolutely no need to use your car for the town centre either as if you don't mind a walk its all relatively close by.

• King Pillow Top Bed

The breakfast room was really small and all the dishes were pretty much empty. We had to wait a long time before they fill it out. The food and quality of food was terrible. We would have been better eating outside.

• King Pillow Top Bed

The rooms are just average at best for the $260 per night room fee. NEEDS comforter on the beds! Also the air conditioner unit is a joke.. way TOO outdated and super noisy! The bath room products could also be more higher end. The light did not have a light bulb either, house keeping needs to do a better job at checking these things with a check list before the next person occupies the room.

location was near the harbor and sloe proximity to State Street

Somewhat dated rooms. Outside was nice, but it was dated.

The breakfast was better than expected. The property is dated, but it looks like they are making improvements. You want this hotel for its location. We have a freshman going to SBCC and you can't beat this location.

• King Pillow Top Bed

I requested a high floor room. Instead, my girlfriend and I were placed on the bottom next to the laundry room and 2 feet across the elevators. Had to keep the TV & AC on to cover up the sound of people coming up & down and laundry being washed- not ideal for a romantic weekend getaway! Food was poor, ended up going out and buying breakfast elsewhere (they ran out of orange juice by the second hour, very little selection of food overall (only 3 cereal options, 1 juice option etc) messy counters). They ran out of parking spaces so the moment you left to go grab a bite or view the beaches, you’d have to park on the street and walk to your hotel- I expect a guaranteed parking spot when I purchase a “king suite.” Ended up having to bring all our laptops, beach items etc in from the car in the case someone broke in since it was parked down the street which was a little annoying. Overall, it wasn’t too bad being we were only there for a night so spent little time at the inn. If you plan on staying more than a couple days, I’d recommend going elsewhere.

Location was about only thing my girlfriend and I liked about the inn. Was walking distance from beach and about an 8-10 min drive from all the bars and restaurants.

A.c. in room noisy, drain in sink slow with a foul odor Went to check on hot tub, couple in tub were engaged in sexual activity. Needless to say we didn't want to use it. I was under the impression that all the rooms had balconies, ours didn't . Noisy at night hard to sleep through it.

Close to beach and harbor area. A quick wall away

• King Room with Balcony

I'm guessing there was remodeling going on. There was old broken floor lamps and boxes of trash left in the breezeway/halls in plain site of customers. Overpriced for what you get.

• King Room with Balcony

The service was flat, it looked like a Motel 6 in disguise. Lots of homeless in the area walking around.

We liked that it was close to the beach, wifi and breakfast was free and the room was clean.

Parking. Might suggest numbering the spots. Room was clean and comfortable. However when we turned on the AC because the room was stuffy it was dirty. I cleaned the vent, my daughter and I have bad asthma and allergies and it smelled like mildew/mold. Pictures are deceiving as far as the property is concerned. I was thinking the pool and spa were bigger. The owner and staff(daughter)? We’re very friendly. We don’t get away much and this was a staycation. Felt like I could’ve stayed at Motel 6 and saved money. (We had a noisy family of 5 next to us, thankfully they went to bed at a decent time).

• King Room with Balcony

You couldn't tell if they are in the middle of renovation? Piles of linens in the hallways, lamps and decor. Was a little odd.

Continental breakfast had a variety and pool and spa were warm. Traveled with kids.

• King Pillow Top Bed

Closet mirror had a big crack in it; fan in bathroom extremely loud; no hair dryer in the room; walls so thin I could hear the neighbor’s phone buzz ring 3x during the night and his/her hesitation in picking it up. Room was not clean and sink had tarnish stains. Shower had a loud squeal that hurt your ears when on. Light switches were in odd locations outside of the bathroom or sink area.

Front office staff was very friendly; good location

One small lounge /reception area which served breakfast from behind a small sliding wardrobe space. I think the room was overpriced especially on our second night which fell on a Friday night.

Great location to the marina and amenities.

Restocking waits for breakfast we're too long- had to wait for everything: juice, silverware, eggs, sausage BOTH days, which indicates no adjustment for crowds. Crowded, small seating area.

Cozy beds, warm pool, close to the beach. Good price

• King Pillow Top Bed

I was surprised to find out they have a sauna and it works great! Newly remodeled rooms are lovely and the pool and hot tub very refreshing. I missed breakfast thanks to them allowing me a late check out so i couldn’t speak about the breakfast but having a long sleep in was grand!

• King Pillow Top Bed

We were concerned when we got in the lift that the lift doors wouldnt fully close and we thought that we could get stuck in the lift so had to carry all the cases upstairs. The lift was working later so maybe they fixed it.

Great location by the sea front and very handy for the town centre, the breakfast was also very good compared to most places we stayed. There was also a good brew pub close by with an excellent choice of local beers - what more could you want!!

• King Room with Balcony

Loud people and loud maids early in the morning, ac unit filters needed cleaning, additional pillows are needed, parking lot has view of bathrooms in rooms Things could be updated a little more but overall not bad place to stay

• King Pillow Top Bed

MY STAY WAS 3/3/18: STAFF WAS EAGER TO KICK US OUT AT 10:45 AM!! I REQUESTED TO CHECK OUT AT 11:30 AND AT 11:15 I WAS BEING ASKED TO CHECK OUT AGAIN. I UNDERSTAND CHECK OUT WAS AT 11AM BUT THEY SAW ME RUSHING TO GET OUT, HAVE SOME PATIENCE PLEASE!!! ALSO THE LADY AT THE FRONT HAD NO PERSONALITY. SMILE A LITTLE GIRL! : ) SHE ASKED ME "NON SMOKING ROOM?" AND I SAID "YOU HAVE SMOKING ROOMS?" AND SHE RUDELY ANSWERED "NO!" (WHY ASK ME IF IT WAS A NON SMOKING ROOM THEN???) THEN SHE REPEATED TO ME ABOUT 3x THAT I'D GET FINED FOR SMOKING INDOORS. I HAD TO TELL HER "IT WAS JUST A QUESTION, I DON'T SMOKE" I FELT A LITTLE JUDGED.

ROOM WAS SPACIOUS, GREAT BALCONY

• King Pillow Top Bed

The breakfast needs an upgrade, it is served in plastic plates with plastic cutlery.. a small upgrade would make a huge difference, taken that it's included in the price. Also both days we showered in the morning(around 10) and there was no hot water which was pretty awkward (we never met it before).

Lovely location, staff and cleanliness. The bed was Very big and comfortable, its quiet and smoothly operated. Very convenient stay.the free parking is a big Plus and the hotel is 2 blocks away from the beach, a short walk! Would definitely come back.

• King Pillow Top Bed

Breakfast was quite limited and mediocre quality.

Spacious and clean rooms, good location with plenty of parking space and walking distance from both the beach and downtown/

• King Room with Balcony

Staff just doesn't seem that friendly. And it would have been nice to know that the pool and spa were closed for renovation before we packed our swimsuits. Selection at breakfast was largely unhealthy and pretty plan, white bread, English muffins, sugary cereal.

The location is excellent, just a short walk to the beach and lots of eateries on State Street. The room was clean, and the bed was comfortable. The breakfast was adequate, but the same every day. It was nice having a fridge and microwave in the room. The whole facility seems to be undergoing an update, so that is nice.

• King Pillow Top Bed

Waited in lobby 15 minutes for front desk (owner?) to arrive for our check-in. We wondered if something had happened to her. She said she had to go up to the second floor.

Nice staff.

• King Pillow Top Bed

Electricity in wall didn’t work had to move me d stay. Rooms are too dark but they are nicely decorated for this price range.

Extra blanket clean, nice staff & clean. Good coffee in lobby.

• King Pillow Top Bed

Everything that was supposed to be food was all prepared frozen sevings. It was not a decent breakfast by no means. The front desk person answered in short and unhelpful statements. For the price I really dont beleive it was worth 166. It should have been a 100 dollar a night motel.

• King Pillow Top Bed

Wall A/C was super loud & did not cool. Some of towels were pretty worn. Heard train at night. WiFi slow. No cable TV. Just Netflix...

Nice size room. Generally clean. Nice staff. Had fridge & microwave in room. Reasonable drawer & closet space. Had breakfast option every morning included with room.

• King Room with Balcony

The free breakfast looked nice, but there was no meat that was not pork...

The bed was comfy, and i loved the balcony. However, the website listed a bathroom and a guest bathroom. There was only one bathroom.

• King Pillow Top Bed

Was overpriced compared to similar motels, but not surprising with location and time of year (thanksgiving).

Good breakfast, great location and reasonable cleanliness and facilities.

• King Pillow Top Bed

The room was small and lacking in luxury for the cost. The television reception was poor quality. The photo on the Booking.com advert was NOT of the actual site. Deceptive.

The staff was courteous and professional. The breakfast was prompt and adequate. The lobby was comfortable and pleasantly decorated. The room was clean. The bed was large and comfortable.

• King Pillow Top Bed

This hotel is definitely dated and could use some updating and maintenance. The bedspreads in particular were quite shabby. Breakfast was pretty standard free hotel fare - lots of bread and cold eggs.

Pretty good value for the money. Stayed here on a weekend and got a very good rate. The bed was comfortable and the wi-fi was decent. Appreciated the free parking. The location is very good; a short walk to the wharf and downtown.

Shower curtain stinks. Towels were clean but too old that it needs replacement. Limited breakfast options.

Location: 2 ~ 5 mins walk or drive to most places, with close-by Seven Eleven. Comfortable: Big room with dining table, good sized mini fridge & microwave.

• King Room with Balcony

The sheets were used so many times that they had little tiny cloth balls from the top of the sheet to the bottom. Very annoying, and unnecessary if they would just throw them away and buy new ones. The air conditioner was so loud, I couldn't sleep. But to HOT to turn off. Very frustrating!

Great location, and nice breakfast

• King Pillow Top Bed

The older woman at the front desk was very rude, over the phone and in person. Mold on the curtains and in the upper corners of our bathroom. Their breakfast was far less than I expected and was OUT of COFFEE one of the mornings!

Hot Tub and Pool were nice. Bed was cozy. Mini fridge is always a perk. The floater in our toilet was broken when we came into our room, but housekeeping staff was very helpful and fixed it right away!

• King Pillow Top Bed

The bed was uncomfortable, and I woke up aching. You could easily hear people talking in the hallway outside our room. There was no yogurt or banana for breakfast. The waffles and sausage were good, but the scrambled eggs were tasteless.

I liked the location, about two blocks from Stearns Wharf. I like having a balcony and fresh air. The Jacuzzi was great!

• King Pillow Top Bed

The jacuzzi and pool. ;-)

Living In Santa Barbara for Forty Years I have sold my house. I used The Avanai Hotel as temporary housing. The Hostess. was so kind I love breakfast. Old SB resident of 40 years

• King Room with Balcony

Yes, we did have a balcony, but they didn't mention that the balcony was hanging directly over the parking lot. We didn't end up sitting on the balcony to enjoy our coffee as planned since it was noisy and smelly out there. Also, the vending machine ate our money when we tried to buy water since they didn't provide any comp bottles in the room.

Good location, but no views of the ocean.

Hotel is located on a busy street off of 101 freeway. Access to the elevator is open to parking and not secured by a which could be locked at night. Anyone can get in the elevator and go to the rooms.

The room was clean and comfortable

• King Room with Balcony

They locked the doors at night and closed the lobby at 10:00. I wanted to sit in the lobby a bit with friends in another room but they closed the lobby. The woman called me just before I arrived and asked how much longer it would be before we got there. I felt we were holding her up. Breakfast was awful.

The location was great. The parking is a bonus as there is no parking any where around there

• King Room with Balcony

Samantha at check-in was not friendly at all. She was in a bad mood and did not smile once. I saw her finally smile on our last day. The cleaning staff were very nice, friendly and helpful.

Breakfast was good and a nice variety.

If u get to breakfast nearer to closing they r low on coffee. Some of the staff was very nice, but some were not. Bathroom was tiny and difficult to change in. Needed a hook on back of door to hang clothes.

Comfy bed and clean. Great location

• King Pillow Top Bed

Felt like I needed a shower after walking to room from parking lot. Common areas worn looking and furniture in room tired and worn. No coffee till after 7 am. Coffee in room should be called tea...

Beds comfy. Staff was nice and accomodating.

• King Room with Balcony

Hotel is dated, not enough power outlets, dresser drawers would not stay closed.

Location was perfect for us. First trip to Santa Barbara so not sure how the hotel compares to others in the price range. We did not use the pool.

Powdered creamer, breakfast. powdered eggs etc. rooms are outdated.

They always had ice water with oranges in the lobby for everyone to drink. They also had coffee in the lobby. However, all the had was powdered creamer. Disgusting. Even in the rooms, powdered creamer AND glass coffee mugs. I never use glass cups in hotel rooms. They never look clean. They need to upgrade. We also had ants in our room our first day, But they moved us to a much larger room at no cost. That was a nice touch. The bathrooms are teeny tiny and our shower curtain didn't close well and after every shower flooded the floor. They also need to get rid of the coverlets. Out dated and gross.

No one had any complaints whatsoever! Two or people thought yogurt would have been nice...

The breakfast was great, well stocked constantly. The location was perfect for what our group of 18 wanted to do and the price was excellent compared to many of the others that were more upscale.

Temp was in the high 80’s, low 90’s so swim in pool sounded great; however pool area rather small but still refreshing.

Maid staff kept areas clean and were friendly as they greeted guests passing through. Well run for an independent property.

If you arrive at 9:30 when breakfast ends at 10, expect that chafing dishes will contain disproportionate amounts of food--a fair amount of scrambled eggs, but only 3-4 sausages, and the coffee carafe was empty. The bathroom was just inside the door. The toilet and tub are on one side of the hall and their room is quite small, the sink and outlets on the other side of the hall.

The best part of the breakfast was a station where you prepare your own waffles. They were cooked just right and hot. Takes about 3 minutes, but worth it.

Nothing!! Horrible experience.

The front desk clerk/manager was horrible. She was extremely rude!! Her greeting was horrible and not inviting. She called our room yelling at us about the check out time. I will never stay here again! This property needs to be under new management immediately, someone help them.

• King Pillow Top Bed

I had requested a portable crib and although the had the request and I confirmed it prior to arrival it was not available I had to upgrade the room and make a fuss to get the crib. Only when We tried to get a room. In another hotel and loose our non refundable deposit did they produce the crib for a 20 month old babyp

Close to the beach

In the room, the shower head didn't provide enough water pressure and the tub was a little gritty on the bottom. It was not terrible and can certainly look pass it.

Free breakfast buffet for all guests staying at the hotel was a nice treat. The room was clean and bed comfy.

• King Pillow Top Bed

The halls and room could use a little updating. New carpet and some paint would work wonders.

The bed was really comfortable and the in-room coffee very good.

• King Pillow Top Bed

Breakfast was included but was poor. Would have preferred to pay a bit less and taken breakfast elsewhere

Great location for railway station and the sea

• King Pillow Top Bed

Breakfast was too busy and we had to wait for a table. Lack of cutlery and items were not replenished in a timely manner. Room was a bit dark. Not much room around the pool.

Clean, comfortable room. Great location within walking distance of the beach/harbour.

• King Pillow Top Bed

The shower was cold water. The pool is really small. The breakfast quite simple: no yougurt, no fresh bread, the fruit old

The bed was confortable and very quiet room. Very near from the beach and the old town. Good parking

Someone tried to break into my hotel room in the middle of the night! Called front desk and no one answered. Called 911 after. Very unsafe for travelers to stay at this hotel.

It was fairly clean.

• King Pillow Top Bed

The breakfast area is a bit too small and gets crowded. Food also tends to run out and it takes some time for it to be replenished.

Good location, clean, well equipped spacious room.

Décor definitely needs updating. Furniture was pretty worn looking (especially in lobby area.) There was hardly any breakfast left when we got there at 8:00.

• King Pillow Top Bed

Breakfast was advertised until 10:30 By 10 they were out of some items, and started clearing before 10:30

I like having mugs for my coffee in the room. They have both microwave and refrigerator in room.

• King Room with Balcony

Owner was very helpful and generously upgraded us to a suite as it was our honeymoon. Room nice and comfortable. Only noise was from the train, but this would effect most hotels in the area.

Owner yelled at a man who came in to ask for a pen to write directions and she told him she didn't one and to get off her property. She could have been a bit more tactful.

Easy walking to yacht harbor and eating. A bit tricky walking from Amtrak since construction going on that blocked our direct route when we initially arrived. But motel personnel clued us in on easy route back to Amtrak. All walkable distances.

• King Pillow Top Bed

Breakfast a bit basic but ok.

Comfortable bed, swimming pool and spa, close to wharf and beach. Plenty of restaurants, dupermarkets nearby. Friendly staff.