Reviews of Ayres Lodge Alpine 2 stars

1251 Tavern Road, Alpine, CA 91901, USA

#2 of 2 hotels in Alpine

Great value
    • Deluxe Queen Studio

The hotel is located at the back of a shopping center. The hotel reception area is heavily decorated "lodge" style. Some rooms have fridge and microwave. Clean. Breakfast is good.

First Time Here, Will Go Back
    • King Studio

Didn't like the bacon for breakfast had a strange texture and really didn't taste like bacon. Thought the bed was a little to hard but overall the rooms were nice.

I do have to say it was nice to have a choice of a hot breakfast that was complimentary, had a nice variety to choose from. Staff very friendly and the cookies at night was a great touch...Thank you

Charming little getaway place.
    • Deluxe King Studio

This was a charming little place that, even though it was practically in a strip mall (just to the side), it was very tranquil and nice. The pool and spa were clean; the courtyard in the back was well maintained.

• Reviewed: 31 August 2018

Comfortable place, friendly staff, close to Viejas Casino
    • Queen Studio

It's weird when you arrive there, since the hotel is inside a shopping mall. The fire alarm bips during the breakfast every time that someone prepares a waffle. (but the waffles are amazing!) There is not mini refrigerator in the bedroom.

Amazing homemade cookies from 7pm till 8pm at the reception! Clean Swimming Pool and Jacuzzi. Place for barbecue really nice. Super comfortable mattress and great shower! Also, the A.C. worked great!

• Reviewed: 18 August 2018

we loved how friendly the staff was.
    • Queen Studio

we loved how friendly the staff was. we got there a day late cause we had problems on the road and they understood the situation and told us that we will be fine to check in at any time. the place was so comfortable. we will deffenetly be staying there again.

• Reviewed: 18 August 2018

The staff was so amazing.
    • Queen Studio

The staff was so amazing. I cannot say enough good things about them. They were always eager to go way beyond standard service. They were very polite and friendly.

• Reviewed: 4 August 2018

Great place to stay at a great price!

Some of the walkways needed to be swept but weren’t to bad. On one side of the pool needed sweeping.

The beds were very comfortable. The breakfast was excellent. The pool and jacuzzi were great. The staff was wonderful.

• Reviewed: 3 August 2018

Pretty good breakfast and the price was great.
    • King Studio

I didn’t care for the bed. Staff said it was new bed but I work up very early cause I felt like I got hit by a truck

Pretty good breakfast and the price was great. Very clean place and everyone very friendly

super clean, well kept property, nice breakfast
    • Queen Studio

ON this particular visit the staff was inattentive, cold and not very friendly. This is unusual as we have stayed here many times.

super clean, well kept property, nice breakfast

The breakfast was Amazing for a continental.
    • King Studio

The breakfast was Amazing for a continental. The kids had a blast playing in the beautiful green courtyard. We also enjoyed watching the Koi Fish and slider turtles in the pond. I will definitely stay again when I am in the area. My husband is supper picky and after hearing all the parents complain from the team regarding the stay in downtown San Diego, he was super relieved we stayed at this great hotel for a great price.

• Reviewed: 27 July 2018

Fantastic !! If up that way again, I will definitely repeat my stay
    • Deluxe King Studio

The room was GREAT The grounds are BEAUTIFUL Breakfast was WONDERFUL, nice to have freshly made food Staff was OUTSTANDING, everyone we met from the front desk to housekeeping. We left too early to have breakfast, so the person who sets up breakfast gave us some fantastic muffins to take with us.

Good location.
    • Deluxe Queen Studio

The pool seems not be as clean and the parking seems to always be full and not allow us to park too close to our room. We weren’t able to go into the room until 45 minutes after promised time.

Good location. Everything is near; fun and food.

The staff was great.
    • Deluxe King Studio

The only thing we were a little disappointed in was that we thought from the pictures on line that it was slightly secluded, not right next to a Carl Jr. The front desk gave us a back room since it was our honeymoon so we didn't have to stare at the strip mall.

The staff was great. The rooms were nice and clean and the AC was great!

I like that it was not in the main heart of San Diego.
    • King Studio

It was pretty far from San Diego about 22 miles out. So round trip everyday was about 45 miles. We spent alot on has so be prepared.

I like that it was not in the main heart of San Diego. We were able to really relax and get away from all of the hussle and bussle. Being in the City all of the time can be negative in my opinion because you see so many people poor, homeless amd suffering. It's hard to have a great time and ignore all of the people who suffering from mental illness and that have to live on the streets bexause they are not getting the right treatment. So Alpine location is great to be able to focus on yourself, family and re-energized yourself.

Not so pet friendly taking in account the hidden fee of $50 for my dog.
    • Queen Studio

The hidden fee of $50 for my dog and the fact that I was not allowed to leave my dog alone in my room (except from the breakfast period of time).

The staff was very good.

Awwsome

Bigger pool

Liam was the guy to go to.. he got me a fridge even though my room was not included.. they also accommodated us for extra days when ramada steered us wrong... would go here again without hesitation. Area was beautiful

Very nice

No fridge, or microwave.

Not knowing the area, we were a little further from our destination than planned. Our mistake. The hotel was great. The staff was very friendly and accommodating . Would stay there again

We are planning on staying with you again in the future. Convenience is great.
    • King Studio

Unfortunately the smoking area outside where we ate breakfast. Being non-smokers, cigarette smoke while eating is undesirable.

Food was fine for a few days. For as much time as we spent there, we got away for breakfast to try something different. Beds were pretty good. Not fluffy, but we both got good nights sleep every night.

Excellent location, cooperative staff for the most part.
    • King Studio

The floors hadn't been cleaned when I arrived. I asked two days in a row fr housekeeping to please clean the floors. Never happened while I was there.

The staff was helpful, the breakfast delightful.

The bed was comfortable!
    • Queen Studio

Nothing! We were super comfortable and happy! Thank you! Great way to end our trip.

The bed was comfortable! Breakfast was great, real sausage gravy! Super clean. Cookies were such a nice treat. Location was amazing! Great restaurant choices right next door!

Overall nice, clean room, friendly staff
    • King Studio

Website showed fridge and microwave, our room did not. Breakfast was really not a benefit for us since it started so late and we were already gone for the day.

Excellent down home country feeling kind of place to stay..

See last comment.

The Homemade Biscuits & Gravy were Wonderful.... Perfectly, set up.. In; fact the down fall, was the fact that they don’t have refridge & microwave- not in every room.. Slightly inconvenient... Everything else was Fantastic!!

Very nice staffs.
    • Deluxe King Studio

Water pressure was too low. Door will not close properly unless you pressed or pulled it firmly to close.

Very nice staffs. Easy check in and out. Nice location.

Clean; Air, Rooms & Facilitys!
    • King Studio

Spaciousness (I have Ankle, Feet, Hip & Knee Issues) ESPECIALLY in the Bathroom Area. King Mattress, was Firm. Simplifying, getting in & out of bed. For the price I was expecting a continental Breakfast. I was pleasantly Surprised; Bacon, Eggs, Waffles, Biscuits & Sausage Gravy, Cerials, Bagels, Muffins, Toast, Yogurt, Milk, Coffee, Apple & Orange Juice.

Great place to stay
    • Queen Studio

A fridge in room would be nice.

Lovely location among pine trees with good few shops and restaurants close by. Pool nice addition and fitness room also pleasant surprise. Freshly baked cookies at reception always a good thing. Nice looking place.

Thanks for all your help!
    • Queen Studio

There was no fridge and microwave in the rooms made it difficult to keep some food for the kids. Also the Jacuzzi was out however the pool was very nice and warm.

Everything was very clean and tidy they cleaned our room during our stay to ensure cleanliness the staff was very nice they did have a girl who seemed to be new but they got everything handled very fast the baked cookies were an awesome addition to our stay all around nice location and service will definately recommend for a great priced stay.

Very good.
    • Deluxe Queen Studio

One of our rooms was still not ready to check into at 5pm. We were attending a wedding in the area and had wanted to check in before the reception.

Rooms were spacious clean and comfortable

Our favorite spot
    • King Studio

This time the hot tub happened to be closes due to repairs. They notifies us at checkin, but we were counting om having that available so that was disappointing.

The people are really friendly and responsive every time we come. The rooms smell great and they are very clean. We love the lodge decor and the hardwood-looking vinyl floors. The swimming pool is clean and warm. The breakfast is great and there are cookies at night.

Location of the hotel is central.
    • Deluxe Queen Studio

I asked for a 1st floor room and it did not happen for the second time at this location. Parking lot is always full.

Location of the hotel is central. Breakfast is always a plus. Beds are super comfortable.

More for your dollar
    • King Studio

No ashtrays anywhere, not even in the "smoking area" by the koi pond

Great breakfast, delicious cookies, friendly helpful staff, great location, convenience of local food and stores, 30 minute drive from beach, relaxing environment

They house keepers were helpful and attentive.
    • Deluxe King Studio

There wasnt a lot of room for breakfast, we had to wait awhile just to eat.

They house keepers were helpful and attentive. It was beautiful and well kept.

Extremely clean and comfortable.
    • Deluxe King Studio

The wi-fi didn’t work the whole time we were there.

Extremely clean and comfortable. There are several stores and restaurants nearby if you need toiletries or get hungry. Employees were friendly. Pet-friendly hotel- I saw a kitty sitting in a window of one of the rooms.

great value for money

no fridge in room

i only stayed for 1 night but it's a very clean modern motel. coffee free in reception all day and fresh cookies from 7-8pm , good selection for breakfast and next to some shops. there is also a casino near if you are so inclined with free bus pick up. if your driving route 80 ideal place to spend the night.

The concierge Jilyann was amazing.
    • Queen Studio

There's no elevators on the premises. We had elders and wheel chair family members. Again our concierge Jilyann accommodate our stay by getting our group of Six rooms close to each other by arranging up and down stairs. Fabulous experience Will definitely come back.

The concierge Jilyann was amazing. Funny, great customer service and very informative.

Worth the money.
    • King Studio

It is by no means a lodge. It is in between two freeways and shares a parking lot with a strip mall. So lodge is a bit misleading.

Clean room, helpful staff, pool, and hot tub were great breakfast was decent to above average.

Not satisfied with that room ,room number136
    • King Studio

The first room they gave me the key card didn't work I had to return to the office twice ,so they gave me another room and you look out the window there doing construction , also it was a very hot day and every five minutes we had to go reset the a/c because it wouldn't stay on no longer than five minutes it sure wasn't worth the 190 I spent on the room,last January I stayed there it was perfect that's why I return

Another peaceful stay. Was so relaxed when I returned home, my husband told me to go back!
    • Deluxe King Studio

Still no smoking in the rooms, but I obviously knew that and have no problem with it. Everything else about this place makes up for not being able to smoke.

This was the 2nd time I have chosen to stay here in the last 2 months. I was so pleased with my first visit, and I knew that I would be back, and I will again if my husband doesn't find a hobby (he retired Sept.1st,,,driving me nuts). Have stayed at Hilton in Mission Valley, and a few other's there, but I had to come back to Ayres because there is no comparison. From the staff to the face soap, everything about this place is the best by far. Peaceful location makes for a relaxing time to just get away. Pillows still as soft...lol

Beautifully quaint stay
    • King Studio

Being a world traveller, I found the prices steep for its location. Shopping was very limited and since I did not have a mode of transportation readily available, it was inconvenient at times.

I loved the staff, they were all very helpful and attentive and sometimes that makes all the difference in your experience.

Friendly staff, perfect location for our trip visiting...
    • King Studio

As is standard with American and global hotels, we feel the hotel would benefit from cutting down on their single use plastic footprint during the breakfast, reducing items such as plastic coffee mugs, stirrers, plates, cutlery etc. https://lessplastic.co.uk/

Friendly staff, perfect location for our trip visiting Alpine. A good motel.

The Ayres Lodge in Alpine was a very welcome respite especially after driving almost 2600 miles
    • Queen Studio

Having to harangue/quibble with third parties to get a fair price. I don't understand why the customer seemingly can't get a fair price without having to deal with a third party rather than dealing on a principal to principal basis. Ayres isn't alone/"The Lone Ranger," however, in this matter. It's apparently symptomatic of the industry.

The serenity, the genteel/affable staff such as Melissa and Carol at the Front Desk and Rosa who served the scrumptious breakfast plus the very comfortable bed.

A nice renovated clean hotel-next to shops and restaurants.
    • King Studio

Very nice stay. Room was very clean and updated. Staff was excellent all around. A nice breakfast in the morning. Beautiful location next to shops and restaurants. If in the area again, will make this my stay.

Peace in the hills
    • King Studio

Confused by the use of the word "studio" to describe a basic room we haf booked the wrong room but staff quickly sorted us out with a lovely replacement.

Very helpful staff. Very comfortable room and good breakfast. Lovely position in the hills behind San Diego.

Other than the bathroom, it wasn't too bad. We were just expecting it to be more like a "lodge".
    • Deluxe King Studio

The bathroom was painted white, the tiles were very white, and that flickering light made everything extremely bright. It was horrible.

The bed was very comfortable but the lights in the bathroom were horrendous! I have migraines and that flickering light was just terrible.

Great location and good price for an early morning birding trip.
    • Queen Studio

A refrigerator in the room would have been nice, but it was not necessary. Everything else was fine.

The staff was very friendly and accomodating. I was part of a birding group headed to Kitchen Creek in the morning around 5:30 am, and the staff was able and willing to open the breakfast area an hour early to accomodate us. This went well beyond our expectations. The property was quiet and in a good central area for birders.

Very enjoyable overall.
    • King Studio

Trying to drag my bag up the steps to the first floor wasn’t great :( Breakfast wasn’t good, bacon very dry, scrambled eggs the same...

Lovely room, beautiful decor and furnishings, very comfortable.

Would absolutely recommend Ayres to anyone and everyone....
    • Deluxe King Studio

I didn't like the fact that I could not smoke in my room...but I understand it. The only other thing I did not like is the fact that I had to leave.

Everything...never had pillows so soft! One of the nicest hotels I've ever been in. The "freshcookie" hour between 7-8 is a great idea. Honestly everything was great.The

Excellent place to stay and the beds were so comfortable and cozy
    • King Studio

We were told there was a microwave and frig and there was not. Our cold water wasn’t working so I had to climb under the sink and turn it on and our toilet kept clogging so I had to get a plunger from the maid

The Hotel and very clean and new looking and very comfortable

Quiet and clean
    • King Studio

The toilet seat was far to small. I couldn't wipe my a** when sitting.

I had a room facing the I-8. I did not hear any traffic. It was perfectly quiet.

Great rooms, great service, great price!
    • King Studio

The property was very clean. The rooms are nicely upgraded. Comfortable beds. Hardwood, laminate flooring. No carpet. Which I love. Great water pressure in the shower. Free coffee and good free breakfast! Very inexpensive! Close to Viejas casino at a much better price! We will definitely be back!

Awesome Place awesome location awesome stay!
    • King Studio

Maybe having refrigerators in the rooms would be great since the ice is a little far to get. Also a small microwave I usually travel late and I would like to come and be able to heat my food.

I really like the atmosphere the quiet of the area. The rooms with a courtyard view are great. Very comfortable and friendly staff.

Great value!
    • King Studio

Great Value! It's clean. Its cozy. It's convenient. The free breakfast was good! Loved the free shuttle to the outlets and casino! Will stay here again!

Great staff.
    • Queen Studio

Pool area really had mild chlorine odor. Could be because of closeness to laundry facility. Still enjoyable.

Great staff. Friendly and helpful. Location was as expected. Serene despite closeness to a freeway.

Glad my stay was only for one night
    • Deluxe Queen Studio

Room was very basic, but advertised as deluxe. Could have saved Monet by booking regular room. Bathroom fan very noisy and light didn’t work very well. The heat/air very noisy too

Bed was comfortable. Staff was very pleasant

Great place to stay!
    • Queen Studio

I little less air freshener in the room would be nice but I am sensitive to smells.

Very clean, wonderful staff, right off the freeway but quiet do conveniently located.

Mountain Lodge feel for a decent price

No problems

The rooms are clean, good linens, great staff. The property has good coffee makers in the room and an excellent breakfast room. The pool and spa are heated and very comfortable. The lobby is like a cozy mountain lodge. Close to Lions, Tigers and Bears wildlife rescue. Very cost-effective alternative when visiting Viejas, and there is a shuttle.

I loved this place!
    • King Studio

I loved this place! The lobby is so inviting and festive as soon as you walk in. The rooms were very clean. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The fresh baked cookies in the evening were an added bonus for my 7 year old. All in all it was a great experience and I would definitely stay again.

Disappointed
    • Deluxe Queen Studio

Booking was a complete joke. You advertised a 3,000 sq/ft suite and it was a 300 sq/ft dumpy motel. The beds and mattresses were like 9000 years old. You were forced to sleep in the dead center of the bed or you would fall off the saggy sides. Not easy to do when you have 5 people. Our kids had sleep sideways on the bed just to stay on. We felt incredibly misled by your advertisement and plan to let the folks know at TripAdvisor. Very disappointed.

Staff was friendly.
    • King Studio

Checking in was a little confusing!

Staff was friendly. Lobby was very homey and log like. And breakfast was pretty good. Location is very good.Just off the freeway, but very quite.

Great time
    • King Studio

Reservation. I made a request for ground floor up front by handicap parking. This was the 2nd time I had problems with bookings. You put my request in the middle of the disclaimer cancelation policy and hotel doesn't see it. You need to put special needs in separate box so hotel can read it.

Great time

• Reviewed: 13 May 2017

Great overnight stop
    • Deluxe Queen Studio

This was more a motel without a view than a lodge. Classical music and quaintly decorated lobby. Breakfast was poor - convenience store stuff. Room was narrow and not that soundproof. Pool was dirty and hot tub was not working. I guess it depends who you get but, at times, 2 out of 3 front desk staff had a subtle attitude. The female front was very helpful and one guy was excellent with guest's telephone inquiries.

The cleaning staff went above and beyond. Location was handy to organic market, restaurants, hair stylist, wine. Room was cute. Wifi and parking were good.

• Reviewed: 16 January 2017

I didn't like the guest who put a dent in our truck hood.
    • King Studio

I didn't like the guest who put a dent in our truck hood. You had guest there that had a truck with a man lift attached. They backed into our vehicle, left no note. I know this is not the hotels responsibility. But for your other guest it would be recommend that their large trucks park elsewhere instead of the front of the hotel where they damage other vehicles

• Reviewed: 9 January 2017

Awesome
    • Deluxe Queen Studio

The beds were very comfortable. Staff, Anthony Perkins & Danielle, were friendly and knowledgeable. Very close to Viejas, Sycuan and Barona Casinos. Beautiful atmosphere.

The registration staff was quite friendly and responsive.
    • Queen Studio

Location of the light switch to the bathroom was awkward. The two queen beds took up too much space; it would have been more "comfy" with one king.

The registration staff was quite friendly and responsive. The room was clean, promptly made every day. Liked how quickly the sink and bath water ran hot. Wife liked the bed. I thought it was a bit too hard.

• Reviewed: 23 December 2016

Our family trip to Alpine!
    • Queen Studio

Would have been nice to have a refrigerator in the room for our water bottles (which we like chilled) plus I have med school that need to be refrigerated.

Bed was very comfy, quiet, convenient location for breakfast and dinner. Breakfast at Franco's Flapjacks great recommended by the evening hostess at Ayres. She was an excellent hostess/front desk person.Enjoyed the pool/hot tub.

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

Not bad, don't expect too much!
    • King Studio

The cable system for TV was not working very well. Almost every channel couldn't be watched.

Location to where we had to be, friendly staff, nice lobby!

• Reviewed: 10 December 2016

stayed for work
    • King Studio

the breakfast was almost non-existent, and the Danishes were kinds blah, and had no way of heating them up

The room was comfortable, and fit my needs very well.

• Reviewed: 30 November 2016

Thanksgiving Weekend
    • Queen Studio

would like to have had a refridgerator in the room, for drinks but mostly for my husbands insulin. the complimentary danishes were stale even though bagged individually but the muffins were awesome.

the cleanliness of the room and the bed was comfortable. staff was real nice too.

• Reviewed: 4 November 2016

Easy to find this place.
    • Queen Studio

Easy to find this place. Good customer service front desk. The room is clean. Neighborhood good place to eat. And important for me it's a quiet place.

Great experience
    • Queen Studio

The rooms were amazingly clean and comfortable. There was a cookie reception every evening, an adequate breakfast, chilled water and hot coffee available 24/7. The maids were friendly and accommodating. Facility has a laundry room, and the rooms were quiet. I would go back in a heartbeat.

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

Very comfortable!
    • King Studio

While it was nice to have breakfast provided, it was quite minimal, with very few options for a vegan diet (no alternative milks or yoghurts, only one type of bread/bagel). Everything was packaged, even the bagels and danishes. We were also shocked that everything was eaten on styrofoam/plastic and none of that was recycled. The mass of garbage from just one breakfast morning was shocking.

For us this was the perfect location: Easy to reach Cuyamaca State Park (for a race) and just as easy to get into San Diego for sightseeing. The staff were very friendly and the room clean and mostly quiet (some noise from idling cars and motorbikes outside the entrance).

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

Comfy stay next to Interstate
    • King Studio

Stayed in King studio room; would've been nice to have a fridge in the room.

Friendly staff, clean, convenient to have lots of restaurants, grocery store, gas stations nearby. Felt safe. Wifi worked fine. Plenty of parking. Didn't use the pool or eat complimentary breakfast, so cannot comment on them. Overall, had a great, comfy stay.

• Reviewed: 29 September 2016

Discriminated , Dissapointed & Dissatisfied
    • King Studio

Allow me start by saying that I felt discriminated. According to Hotel night attendant, their card reader could not read my card therefore we couldn't get a room until I asked about paying cash. He answered With hesitation & requested cash deposit. He also made a comment no te to bring in additional people in the room. What's Worst is that our room was hot and stuffy. Rep came to our room and said that AYRES Hotels gage the temperature to 72• degrees and we the consumer can not adjust setting. Torture for us. Upon checking out, the front clerk went to our room comes back and tells his manager, these are the people Greg collected deposit from and I just came from their room, everything is in the room. So they returned the $137.00 deposit. I felt discriminated, treated as if they were racist because our last name is Hispanic.

That it is Pet friendly.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

Good Viejas hotel alternative!
    • King Studio

Bathroom was a little disappointing. Flush lever broken and there was hair in the shower.

Shuttles to Viejas with friendly drivers. Great front desk customer service.

Great place to stay. highly recommended.
    • King Studio

The friendly staff and the comfy beds.

I like I like the breakfast and the cookies in the afternoon