Reviews of Best Western Plus Capitol Ridge This rating is a reflection of how the property compares to the industry standard when it comes to price, facilities and services available. It's based on a self-evaluation by the property. Use this rating to help choose your stay!

161 Saint Anthony Avenue, Saint Paul, MN 55103, United States of America

#10 of 14 hotels in Saint Paul

• Reviewed: July 2, 2018

Check in time was pushed back three plus hours then...

Check in time was pushed back three plus hours then we're "upgraded" to a different room that for sure hadn't been cleaned in awhile. At bedtime th air conditioning wasn't working. No fans to be found.

• Reviewed: June 1, 2018

Will not book room with them again.

I had booked my room well in advance my arrival date. so I pretty sure all rooms had not been filled. The king size room I received had a window view of the roof and air condition unit. After seeing the room I them understood the expression of the recipient's face (like she knew I might problems with this room). I choose not say anything at my wife's request not to cause a scene. My opinion is this place is not AA friendly. Beware

• Reviewed: May 15, 2018

Nice place, no real issues.

Getting in the parking area was a bit weird, we had to go around the hotel each time to get in.

Pretty good location, lots of stores around. Pool area and hot tub were great, there were barely any people there throughout most of the day and we had the place for ourselves. Staff was great and the breakfast kept us full until it was almost dinner time which was great.

• Reviewed: May 3, 2018

Very pleasent.

We didn’t find time to use the pool. Wish it stayed open later.

Free parking, shuttle service, comfortable beds and pillows, good breakfast, friendly staff, nice view

• Reviewed: May 2, 2018

I would absolutely stay here again

I felt it was a little pricey but for convenience it was worth it

Very comfy beds. Excellent hot breakfast. I didn’t know there was a complimentary shuttle and it came in handy. Friendly staff. The housekeeper went and got us a bottle opener from the front desk and she made our refrigerator colder.

• Reviewed: April 18, 2018

A decent place to stay but needs some attention.

My room was 75 degrees. I took two phone calls to get switched to a different room as the maintenance guy must've left. Also the hot water was scalding! Mind you I like hot water, but this was too much.

the location was perfect

• Reviewed: March 22, 2018

My granddaughter and I will definr

Restaurant could have had little more variety, I enjoy salads one is not a choice

Staff very friendly and always willing to go that extra mile to help

• Reviewed: March 19, 2018

Bartender was very friendly, facility was better than...

Price

Bartender was very friendly, facility was better than expected considering the area it's located in but disappointed in the price due to the holiday.

• Reviewed: March 19, 2018

The staff was very kind and the shuttle was very useful.

There was a lot of water damage painted over on the ceilings and it was very noisy at night.

The staff was very kind and the shuttle was very useful. It also had a pool and hot tub!

• Reviewed: March 18, 2018

Amazing hotel! Stay here!

It was in a great location. We stayed for the NCHC frozen faceoff at the Xcel and took advantage if the free shuttle. This was awesome because it saved about 75 bucks in parking fees. It's really easy to get back on the highway and go to MOA or any other spot as well. It's also about a 5 minute walk to the metro green line. The hotel itself was always nice and clean. The team of employees was great as well like a breath of fresh air!

• Reviewed: March 17, 2018

Nice place to stay to be near Xcel center and restaurants.

Our parking voucher didn’t work for the free parking. We paid the $10 just so we could get going.

The young man at the check in counter was exceptionally nice. And it turned out he was our shuttle driver on the way back from the concert, and was at the check out counter when we were leaving. When does he sleep and still be so nice. Quite the professional.

• Reviewed: March 11, 2018

Unbelievably awesome staff.

Fittness center equipment broken... not a lot of Fittness options.

Unbelievably awesome staff. Especially the gal who checked us in and our shuttle driver.

• Reviewed: March 10, 2018

Staff was great!

Obvious Lip stick smear on the bathroom floor...which makes one question how clean rest of the room was. The room was warm for us so we put on the cool setting and lowered the temp and the room got 8 degrees hotter. Not the most comfortable temp to sleep in. 1st time woke up sweating even though only half my body was covered with sheet/comforter. Slept with only sheet rest of the night. Could not snuggle with husband as both of us tooo hot. We did call re: temp and someone walked husband through setting it. We ended up just turning it off but then every so often something would try to kick on (high whiny pitch) and then kick off. Again disruptive to sleep. Discovered in am that we could of opened the window which would of been exactly what we needed.

The shuttle, the celiac friendly breakfast, close to daily activity

• Reviewed: March 6, 2018

Hotel offered shuttle service to the Xcel Energy Center so I...
    • King Room Roll In Shower/Disability Access - Non-Smoking

Hotel offered shuttle service to the Xcel Energy Center so I didn't even have to drive, which was awesome!!! Super friendly staff...they took very good care of us.

• Reviewed: February 26, 2018

Safe, clean, comfortable...a great value for my money!

The hotel was in a good location. It was easy to find and the area outside the hotel was well lit. The free breakfast was very good. The room was clean and comfortable. It was a great value for my money!

• Reviewed: February 25, 2018

Every was great. I didn't make the contin

There was no coffee in the lobby available. When asked someone about more coffee they said the person who makes the coffee is in a meeting and won't be done for an hour. Soooo no one else knows how to make coffee? I thought that was weird.

The front desk was very helpful and friendly.

• Reviewed: February 14, 2018

Good stay for the price! Great location! Watch out for the staff!

The staff was less than desirable, the older gentleman running that shuttle was rude and unprofessional. They only have two shuttles running during games and events, and the wait times are ridiculous! The lady at the front desk was also super rude, she was too busy on her phone to get us checked in at first, then proceeded to tell us no information about the place. She was more concerned with getting us out of her site than being accommodating.

The room was nice, comfortable bed. There was also a decent lounge downstairs that stayed open till midnight. We also liked the shuttle that was available for the Xcel Energy Center.

• Reviewed: January 18, 2018

Would absolutely stay there again

The bar quit serving food at 10 pm, on game nights, the food service hours could be longer. We would have ordered had they were

The Eggs on breakfast buffet where great, breakfast variety was good and free

• Reviewed: January 17, 2018

Good Value Right at Center of St. Paul

The parking lot is difficult to enter, exit, and navigate, with one means only of circulation and gates both on entering and exiting. I'm sure the management has its reasons for restricting access, but it was difficult for us, particularly in a rental car in a strange city in the cold weather (each time exiting or entering the parking lot, we had to stop the car, put it in park, and get out to reach the keypad to allow exit or entry.) Also, because the location is next to highways, it's not a good location unless you have a car -- walkers would probably be a bit frustrated!

The pool was super clean with plenty of towels readily available. Good temperature for swimming. Also, the hot tub was a very unexpected luxury. I was also happy to have free newspapers, local and national, available in the morning.

• Reviewed: January 9, 2018

I would stay again. Just get more help in the resteraunt you have a great chef. They need help to s

I hate the gate for the parking and to get in. Stupid and annoying no reaso for it

The hotel was great. The restaurant had very good food but was under staffed and took forever to get our food. They need more help. Plus earlier breakfast times

• Reviewed: January 8, 2018

Perfect solution for our needs and well placed for everywhere we needdd to get to.

My son arrived with a friend after a long drive up from San Antonio. They were exhausted and said everything was great. No complaints and my son loves the view from his room. He ordered pizza and crashed out and said the room was good and bed very comfortable. All in all very happy.

• Reviewed: January 3, 2018

Beds are very comfortable.

No Shuttle Service back to motel after concert. When I made the reservation, I specifically asked about shuttle service and was told that they could accommodate both to and from the Excel Center. I understand the driver wanted off, but I feel someone should have been available to replace him. Not happy.

Beds are very comfortable. Nice breakfast.

• Reviewed: January 3, 2018

We will return!

The staff went out of their to make our stay a memorable one - even to paying for a taxi from the concert when their shuttle driver had the night off.

• Reviewed: January 1, 2018

To much money for what we got

The pool was broken.. No shuttle service after our concert...had to call a cab and then fight with other guests to get one...the temperature was well below zero so it was to cold to walk..room was pretty expensive for one night, with no pool...that was one of the reasons we booked this hotel...free shuttle service and the pool so my daughter and her friend had something to do while we were at the concert...very disappointing

Room was clean and comfortable Breakfast was good

• Reviewed: December 31, 2017

Close to the excel center.

The water was screaming hot (hard to regulate). The bar tender was on her phone when we walked in. Never greeted us. I had to ask if there was an open bar and she laughed responded with yes and continued to be on her phone. The bathroom was very small no counter space.

Close to the excel center. The free shuttle was nice (driver was rude and trying to get taxi back was not easy). The check in guy is as friendly and personable. The bed was very comfortable.

• Reviewed: December 31, 2017

It was clean and comfortable and staff was awsome

The property was not close to much. The restaurant stop serving at 9 and bar shut down at 11. Pool closed to early also. Breakfast was cold

It was clean and comfortable and staff was awsome

• Reviewed: December 9, 2017

I would definitely stay here again.

The pool and hot tub were nice, however the towels to dry off with were meant for 6 year olds. I was next to the elevator so the the noise was a little loud, but all in all not to bad.

I felt the facility was the best bang for the buck. The pub hooked to the hotel had great foods so you didn't have to leave the hotel. The bed I had was very comfortable and the water was always hot for showers. The free breakfast was very good as well. Hot eggs, sausage, pancakes, oatmeal, cold muffins, Danish and cereal. The pool was huge compared to many others in the area.

• Reviewed: December 3, 2017

The beds were very comfortable and cozy.

The beds were very comfortable and cozy. I had a good nights sleep. The breakfast buffet was very plentiful, and all the food was fresh and good. The staff taking care of the breakfast buffet area went above and beyond to take care of all of the guests.

• Reviewed: November 28, 2017

Great people, great hotel.

Well, just the coffee - it was way too strong. Diluting it 3 to 1 with hot water still made strong coffee.

Staff were all amazing. Congrats on assembling such a good team.

• Reviewed: November 25, 2017

This hotel is close to my sisters house.

This hotel is close to my sisters house. I’ve stayed at this hotel many times. They have recently undergone extensive renovations. Everything is great.

• Reviewed: November 21, 2017

Terrible, I want money back. Incredibly rude and inconsiderate

1. They allowed me to make a special request to check in between 9-10 am and they sent a email saying they would do that. Then tried to make me wait till 3pm to check in 2. I requested a room at the top, in the corner and they said they would do that, then they put me on the second floor in the middle by the elevator 3. I requested to check out between 12-1pm and they sent an email saying they would do that and then tried to tell me I had to leave 10:30, I was just getting out of bed and they wanted me to leave. They don't seem to care about the guests, the lady at the front desk was incredibly rude and I want my money back. This was a waste of my good money, normally I enjoy best Westerns but this was absolutely unacceptable.

• Reviewed: November 6, 2017

Very pleasant

We didn't have a garbage can in our room. because of the hotels location, there wasn't really a great place to take our dog to the bathroom.

The hotel was well maintained, very clean, updated. The bed was very comfortable and the room very quiet, couldn't hear any other guest when in the room.

• Reviewed: November 2, 2017

Great!
    • King Room Roll In Shower/Disability Access - Non-Smoking

I had s room by the highway and it's starts to get busy about 5:00 am, very hard to sleep

The shuttle service to the RiverCentre in St Paul was outstanding

• Reviewed: October 31, 2017

Very poor service
    • King Room Roll In Shower/Disability Access - Non-Smoking

We were not allowed to stay as we do not have a credit card that wasn't pre paid. This is how I booked the room. If this wasn't allowed we should have been notified when we reserved. So not only couldn't we stay I couldn't run in the monster dash that I have been preparing for all year and lost my sign up money plus had to drive 2 and 1/2 hrs home. I will NOT be using either your hotel or this booking company ever again or recommending to anyone. We were planning on paying in cash.

• Reviewed: October 9, 2017

The breakfast was delicious and had my favorite yogurt.

Nothing bad to say

The breakfast was delicious and had my favorite yogurt. Also it was nice to have the shuttle to take us to the concert. Our drivers Alex and Pao were wonderful.

• Reviewed: October 4, 2017

very good!

The hotel is good. The bed is big and comfortable. The parking is free. The location is good, but impossible to go to downtown walking. Breakfast good and free, very good!

• Reviewed: September 21, 2017

The place was clean and newly remodeled. staff was friendly and helpful

I thought it was plenty expensive. We came to go to a concert one evening then too the state fair early the next morning so didn't spend much time there but with taxes and all was well over $180. for breakfast a a few hours sleep

Breakfast that was offered was great Room was clean and comfortable.

• Reviewed: September 5, 2017

Will come again, the staff was amazing, the hotel was safe, and very clean.

The drive home from the State Fair on Sunday night was a little rough. The driver stuffed 13+ people in the van and it was a very uncomfortable ride back for everyone.

The shuttle option to the State Fair was amazing. The staff was so incredibly helpful and really seemed to care that all of our needs were met.

• Reviewed: September 5, 2017

very nice hotel!

the breakfast was good, but they need to get rid of the potatoes or change them - they were very hard, I noticed several people ended up throwing them away.

Nice hotel, spacious room, very comfortable and clean. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Pretty area - you can see the state capital from the room. Easy to get on and off the interstate from the hotel.

• Reviewed: September 4, 2017

This hotel has friendly staff, comfortable beds, and a decent complimentary breakfast.

The staff, from front desk to housekeeping, was extremely friendly; every staff member went out of their way to greet us and make sure everything was satisfactory.

• Reviewed: August 30, 2017

it was alright, probably wouldny stay at this location again

We stayed 2 nights and had to be moved 2 times. First room was right above construction, so we woke up to a air hammer, 2nd room the AC was broke and the heat was stick on, 3rd room tne AC wasnt really working so our room was really warm. Very uncomfortable in the July. Front desk didn't have a fan so we were SOL. Good thing it was our last night

The updated rooms, bar area/breakfast area

• Reviewed: August 30, 2017

The staff was wonderful, very helpful and friendly.

The bathrooms in the rooms were small mostly the shower/tub you had to angel the shower head right so the water wouldn't end up all over the floor.

The staff was wonderful, very helpful and friendly.

• Reviewed: August 23, 2017

Staff accordingly and don't book guests next to construction rooms.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

Construction in room next door was extremely intrusive and uncalled for. Pub/restaurant understaffed. Had to wait for service beyond reasonable wait time. Breakfast buffet was empty had to wait for staff to refill buffet. Very poor experience.

• Reviewed: August 18, 2017

Best accommodations we've found in the Twin Cities.

Can't think of anything.

Staff in restaurant was especially receptive. Breakfast was amazing. Art work in restaurant was terrific. A very well-run hotel. We will stay there again.

• Reviewed: August 8, 2017

Great location and beautiful hotel!

Their shuttle service could use some improving. They only have a small shuttle vehicle and we ended driving instead to the Excel, because there were so many people waiting for the shuttle.

The hotel was very modern and new looking. The decor was relaxing. The rooms had everything you need and were very comfortable. The beds were wonderful, I slept great! The shower was fabulous! I would highly recommend this Hotel. Great location for concerts or anything going on near the Excel Energy Center.

• Reviewed: August 7, 2017

Great stay for a great price when going to event at Xcel Center

View of run down Sears building in the parking lot.

Easy parking, stafff extremely helpful, FREE SHUTTLE WITH COURTEOUS DRIVER, great free breakfast, very comfortable beds for a good night sleep.

• Reviewed: July 29, 2017

A really Great trip!!

n/a

I am from Minnesota and have not been back for ten years, my mother died and the family got together for a memorial and the hotel was just down the street and it was good to have the view of downtown St.Paul and the surrounding area.

• Reviewed: July 23, 2017

A comfortable place to stay.

Bar and restaurant food and service needs to be improved.

The hotel crew is especially good. The breakfast staff (free guest breakfast) is outstanding.

• Reviewed: July 17, 2017

No notice about changed checkout time and large fridge

Firstly, the fridge is nice to have, but it is extremely loud when turning on and off at night. I woke up jetlegged multiple times for the sound of the fridge. There could be a note on how to turn it off (I was afraid there would be water). Secondly, though the personell was very friendly, in my reservation confirmation AND in their website AND in the booklet about the hotel in the room it said checkout was at 12 and they told me at 11 it was at 11. They have me half an hour to leave but one of the reasons I booked this hotel was that I can stay until 12, and the answer was: it changed beginning of the month. No email about it, no notice at ckeckin, no notice in the room or on their website about this. I paid for a room until 12 and got one until 11:30, last half an hour spent rushing to pack. This was not professional and polite in any way.

I liked the breakfast variety and the room itself was really big and nice.

• Reviewed: July 13, 2017

The breakfast

We found some parts of the room that weren't clean- behind one of the chairs against the wall & greasy smudges on the door handle.

The breakfast

• Reviewed: July 9, 2017

Will book again, and again, and again
    • Executive King Room - Non-Smoking

Only complaint was the a/c in the room. It was set at 60 and cool setting since we arrived at 4pm. Next morning still 70degrees in the room.

Awesome stay! Friendly staff/great customer service, clean rooms, great complimentary breakfast, and a great price!

• Reviewed: July 3, 2017

Will be staying here again!
    • Executive King Room - Non-Smoking

There is nothing that I would have changed. Everything was perfect!

Happy there was a restaurant inside of the hotel. Server at the restaurant was awesome and very friendly. Food was really good as well. The staff of the hotel were very helpful and also very friendly and accommodating. Loved that they had a shuttle from the hotel to the Xcel Energy Center for our event. The beds were so amazing! We wish we knew what kind they were because that was the best night's sleep we had in a very long time. The room was also very clean and smelled clean.

• Reviewed: June 18, 2017

Mixed reviews

The A/C unit did not work at all in the room and it was a very hot/muggy day, and the bathroom sink was partially plugged and drained slow. There were no maintenance staff available late Saturday afternoon, so the front desk staff gave the option of comping the room or moving us to another hotel. We opted to comp the room.

The front desk staff, bar staff and courtesy transportation staff were all very good.

• Reviewed: June 18, 2017

Above and beyond for the price.
    • Superior King Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

We booked for 4 adults. There wasnt any bedding for the pull out. Yes we could of called and asked for more but we didnt want to bother the front.desk so we made due.

Awesome shuttle service, great breakfast, fun bar.

• Reviewed: June 16, 2017

Wonderful experience...knowledgeable and courteous staff, clean hotel with great amenities!

The only thing that was even slightly bothersome was the remodeling noises near our room. They made us jump a little a few times. But we stayed here a couple years ago, and the remodel is a wonderful change, so we didn't complain at all.

The bed was very comfortable, and the pillows were perfect. It was very clean, and the staff was AMAZING...very courteous and helpful. And I LOVE the shuttle service to the Xcel Energy Center...takes the stress out of driving and finding a parking space!

• Reviewed: June 7, 2017

overall good experience!

I would have liked options on how to get to the property like a quick explaination on how to use the lite rail or bus instead of a taxi, although the taxi ride was good.

The room was nicely decorated. The pool was great. The food for breakfast was good. Great place to stay!

• Reviewed: May 26, 2017

Great value for the price.

We stayed just one night to attend a concert at the Xcel Energy Center. The hotel was within walking distance to the arena but the hotel even provided a shuttle bus to and from the concert. Our room looked recently renovated and was very clean. We would definitely stay here again.

• Reviewed: May 26, 2017

Would stay here again!

Going to the concert, it would have been beneficial to have both shuttles running. Plan to go early as only one runs to the venue and two run back.

The staff was super friendly. Hotel was very clean. Used the shuttle to attend a concert. Nice to not have to deal with parking and traffic.

• Reviewed: May 16, 2017

Great hotel at Best Western Capitol Ridge!
    • Executive King Room - Non-Smoking

Air conditioing in our room wasnt great. But perhaps thats cause they re still under renovations.

Amazing breakfasts! Great pool & hot tub. Within walking distance of capitol hill and St. Pauls cathedral and downtown even!

• Reviewed: May 13, 2017

Loved staying here! Hospitality is their middle name.
    • King Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

The location is close to stuff to do and they offer a shuttle, but the only restaurant/bar in walking distance is the one attached, and they were closed when we returned from our event at 11. They do offer a shuttle service to anywhere within 3 miles, so you can still enjoy the nightlife if that's your thing... but no chance for a nightcap in house without bringing your own.

Food at the attached restaurant was amazing. Bed was perfectly firm/soft all at once. They whole place is currently being redone, so the rooms are all brand new refurbished right now.

• Reviewed: May 12, 2017

Great place to stay
    • Executive King Room - Non-Smoking

Put sanitary wipes in the work out center.

The gentlemen tending the breakfast bar was exceptionally pleasant and helpful. He was cordial, inviting and very excited about his position with the hotel. A real pleasure to meet and a great representative of the hotel.

• Reviewed: May 4, 2017

Relaxing night at the best western
    • Superior King Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

I wish the pool was open later.

The hotel had a beautiful view of the Basillica in downtown St. Paul. The room was so nice and comfortable. Check out was at 12pm. There was a hot breakfast.

• Reviewed: March 20, 2017

Like staying with friends!!
    • King Room with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Having to leave

Best part was the AMAZING staff particularly Deanie John Fefe and Alex and the evening bartender (can't remember his name) they were the cherry on top of our awesome weekend!!!🍒😁

• Reviewed: March 7, 2017

Shuttle service
    • Executive King Room - Non-Smoking

Drunk guy across the hall causing a disturbance. He was yelling and slamming doors until the police came about 3 hours later to arrest him.

Shuttle service

• Reviewed: February 13, 2017

We stayed a few months ago during renovations and booked...

Only complaint was the rooms thermostat wouldn't go below 65 degrees. Being we were on an upper level, it got very very warm when we went to sleep. Other than that, no complaints!

We stayed a few months ago during renovations and booked again recently and am very impressed on how upscale it looks. Very nice bar also.

• Reviewed: February 6, 2017

LOVED the bed and pillows!
    • Executive King Room - Non-Smoking

Eggs were not good. Other items were good though.

LOVED the bed and pillows! It also was very generous to discount our room because the restaurant was not open during our stay....nice gesture that is appreciated! Also, very very friendly staff at the front desk and those working the breakfast.

• Reviewed: January 2, 2017

Shuttle to the xcel.

Room was not ready. We were asked to wait while other guests were checked in. When I finally asked if our room was ready, the attendant didn't even remember me or the fact that he'd asked me to wait.

Shuttle to the xcel. Breakfast was good. Dining area was clean/fresh and welcoming

• Reviewed: November 2, 2016

Three of us going to the Xcel Center for a concert.

The hallways seemed pretty old, but that did not take anything away from our stay. The hotel is doing a very comprehensive remodel right now, which shows me they are making themselves better all the time.

The breakfast was really great. The lady at the front desk when we checked in could not have been nicer and more helpful, as well as the man that was there later at night and early the next morning. The location is great-close enough to walk to the Xcel Center before the concert, and then a quick shuttle ride home after.

• Reviewed: October 25, 2016

If visiting St Paul for an Event at the Excel Energy Center would difinetely stay at this property a

Location was excellent for our purposes- Excel Center free parking free shuttle service to the excel center we were informed at check in if ongoing renovations and were offered a discount at check in

• Reviewed: October 24, 2016

There was no restaurant or pool because of construction.

There was no restaurant or pool because of construction. Heat never left 78 degrees in the room. I complained numerous times. Someone was being beaten in the room next to me in middle of the night on my final night. Called front desk at 2:30 am, they said don't worry we have cameras. I did not think that response was adequate.

• Reviewed: October 12, 2016

The staff was courteous.

The hot water was inconsistent. The heat did not work in my room. The toilet would run for prolonged periods of time. The shuttle did not run on Sundays.

The staff was courteous. Affordable rates.

• Reviewed: October 3, 2016

False Advertising!
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

There was no mention that this site was under construction. No restaurant, pool or other advertised amenities... Complete false advertising, been under construction since last November...

• Reviewed: October 3, 2016

Great location and comfortable beds.
    • Executive King Room - Non-Smoking

We had been here previously and were looking forward to using the bar and restaurant but they were closed because the renovations were taking a long time to complete.

The location of the hotel was important to us and the beds were very comfortable.

• Reviewed: September 22, 2016

Was decent, may book again depending on price.

Non-smoking room smelled very strong of cigarette smoke. Also, the front desk lady marked me as a no-show, did not get a receipt. Tons of construction going on, little for from the Xcel Center to justify the price..

• Reviewed: September 20, 2016

Not what we expected

The whole place was under construction and we didn't have running water right away when we got there. The pool & bar/restaurant were closed. It was disappointing. The email we received said they would be done with most construction by Sept.6th.

Contintinental breakfast was great. There were a lot of choices.