Reviews of Best Western River North Hotel 3 stars

125 West Ohio Street, River North, Chicago, IL 60610, USA

#125 of 146 hotels in Chicago

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Check in staff was not kind at all it took him 15 mins to process our reservation. The room is pretty sad. Air con machine was incredibly noisy like suddenly starting blowing air as crazy and then stopping after two mins to restart again some mins after. Summed also with the construction works that started at 6 am in front of our window it’s been a nightmare trying to sleep. In the corridor there is bad smell probably coming from the floor carpet. Its super expensive to be the hotel it is... can definitely find much better for some dollars more

Location is the only good thing

The staff was wonderful to us. Our room didn't come with a refrigerator but they found one and sent it to our room. I would recommend this hotel to all my friends and would definitely stay there again if ever visiting Chicago.

Our room was facing the alley and in the 2nd floor. There was an all night business that belonged to that alley and the employees/guest hung out in the alley very loudly till after 4am. We got no rest what so ever then the staff starting arriving at 7am. Great hotel room horrible location. We checked out extremely early so we could go home and get some rest. After ober $300 for a room and only got 2hrs of sleep not happy.

Staff was above and beyond.

• Two-Bedroom Family Suite

Wish there were vents in bathrooms and faster elevators. Usually wait for a bit to get down or up to floors.

Awesome location, lots of facility upgrades over the years. Great staff

Bits of the decor were tired, towels were too small, the air con unit was extremely noisy

Comfortable bed, great location close to good bars/restaurants, excellent roof terrace, helpful staff

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

I think every room should have a fridge and a microwave. We stayed at 6 hotels during our trip as we travelled from New Orleans up to Chicago and this was the only one that didn’t provide these facilities as standard in every room. Also the pool looked really nice on the photographs but in reality we were not impressed.

We appreciated assistance from the bellboys with our bags and they helped us get a taxi to the airport in no time. Also liked that computers and a printer are available, we used this facility as we needed to print our boarding passes at the end of our trip.

They allowed us an early check in without a fee. After a long night flight we arrived early at the hotel. We were hoping to store our bags, but they had a room ready and gave us the keys.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The service in the parking area was very unprofessional. We were given a poor attitude upon arrival and when asking questions. We were spoken to as if we were clueless. We did not receive any help when asked what were the other options for parking. We were told, " you're going to have to find it. That is not our problem."

Rooms were spacious and hotel was in a great location for all tourist sites and public transportation. Wallace the hotel Concierge worked hard to please.

• King Room - Disability Access

As the bride, I didn’t not like how the parking attended harassed not only my bridesmaids but the individuals I hired to do our hair and makeup. Due to their negligence and demeanor I was late to my own wedding! I also didn’t like how the front desk gave me such a hard time checking in. I understand they needed my card for “damages” but when my card declined they offered no help at all! When asked them what I can do to get in my room that I’m on a timeline they simply just said they needed a card even when I told them my future husband to be was going to be at the hotel at 11 if they can just wait till he comes he can give them his card they still said no! Finally, I got a text from my back stating the my card was on hold for fraud that i had to approve a transaction for best western.. I said yes it was me and I showed the front desk the reason behind the declined card that it would take 5 minutes in order for my card to be approved. Instead of letting me go into my room they made me wait to see if it went thru. Finally when it was approved they changed attitude and seemed more friendly when they should have been friendly from the beginning! Especially since I had my wedding dress and accessories with me! when I called the front desk if they can allow my makeup artists and hair stylist to park in he parking lot Brian approved since I told them they were only going to be there for a few hours. They wouldn’t be staying; however, he kept calling every 5 minutes telling me their time was up and that it was nice of him to do this in the first place but they have to go. Instead of helping I felt rushed. Horrible horrible horrinle experience. Worst part of what was supposed to be the best day ever!

The only things I did like was our room and how close it was to my venue.

Couldn't access my room from the lobby. I had to take about a 15 yard walk to a separate entrance to access the elevator to my room. It wasn't a bad walk but that was the only thing I could think that I didn't like about the property. Everything else was great!

Clean, friendly, good location.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

the bathroom could have been a little more up to date.

Location was great, bus stops, sub stations, restaurants in the area. We felt super safe. The staff was amazing...!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

I didn’t like the fact that the rooms did not have any microwaves or refrigerator, we unfortunately wasted a lot of food due to this. It would have been nice to even have a local microwave on each floor. However, the front desk did offer to hear the food in their employee space which was very accommodating! The pool also was not easy to access if you were in the west building. You had to take multiple elevators and such, and it was cold. I assumed it would be slightly heated.

Location. The location was great, very close to very good restaurants, and right in the heart of downtown. I also liked that the hotel has its own parking garage so we didn’t have to search for parking when we were ready to return.

The fitness center/pool wasn't very convenient from the other side of the hotel. I wasn't sure if I would use it when I got there, I ended up not using it.

Very friendly staff, they took an interest in what I was doing in Chicago and made pleasant conversation and were always giving a pleasant greeting when I walked by.

The shower could use a redesign. It’s not a dealbreaker, but it just feels a little dated.

The staff were super friendly, the room was clean and modern, and the location made the city very accessible! I really liked this hotel.

The staff was very rude and the hallway smelled like roach spray. I had to park my turk. On of the staff told me that our phone was playing too music and the next time we had to leave.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The location was very nice. We were able to walk everywhere. The parking was nice and had good lighting. The room was small but cozy. The staff was incredible and even promptly helped find us a mini refrigerator for our room for my co-workers mommy milk! All in all very pleased!

I didn’t like the parking garage and procedures.

I liked the location of the hotel it was easy to get downtown to explore Chicago. I liked the drink tickets provided at the front desk for discounted drinks to the hotel bar/restaurant.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The last night we were there our toilet stopped working. It was 11:30pm. I called down to the desk and informed them. I was told she would figure something out and call me right back. She never did. It was never fixed before we left. I informed the front desk as we were checking out and they said they would have the manager contact me, again I have never heard anything. Not impressed with the follow through!!! I also wasn’t impressed that it’s a maze just to get to the pool...

It was in a good location, about a 20 minute walk to magnificent mile. About a 5 minute walk to the Red Line or Brown Line.

• Two-Bedroom Family Suite

The elevators or should I say elevator? Very small and only one!!

Food was good, beds were very comfortable! The pool was nice and clean and outdoor patio is not to be missed at night for some great pictures of the Chicago skyline! We drove and parking was nice. Coffee was complimentary in lobby and always hot and fresh. In room wasn't bad either.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

We were extremely pleased with this hotel. The staff was great, rooms were very clean and comfortable and it was a great location. We were able to walk to most everything we wanted to do.

Can’t rate the parking as we used Uber or walked everwhere

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Towel is not good. Lighter is not enough.

Comfortable bed and cleanliness room.Location is finding easy and near restaurant and city center. Good staff. Parking is great.

The only thing I didn't like was the issue with the air/heat system. Maybe needed repair.

The staff was nice, it was clean and convenient to all the attractions we wanted to see.

• One-Bedroom King Suite

Elevator. I had a corner room with large windows so traffic noise ( they offer ear plugs) I had no trouble sleeping through it but others may want a room on other side which I’m sure would be quiet.

Not close to main attractions, but about a $7-8 Cab ride for 2 to them. Traded nice room at affordable rate for that. It was not far from subway/bus lines which we also took. Staff was very helpful, friendly, accommodating. Room update clean. Only draw back, elevator small 6 people fairly tight. Easy to find easy parking ( their parking rate $25 as opposed to others ($44-65). It is not very large so staff can easily be attentive to needs. Attached restaurant, looked nice but we did not eat there. Many places to eat with short walk.

The people upstairs from us were so loud. You can hear every footstep and conversation that they were having. Plus they were smoking in their room which came down into the room I was staying in. At first it was just the bathroom that smelled like stale smoke/marijuana, but then soon it was the entire room.

The bed was comfortable.

The only thing that was a little bothersome was the toilet had black specks all over the lid, not sure what they were and they wiped right off. This was a small issue and would not deter me from staying again. Oh and the pillows were not that great, but I'm kind of picky about pillows.

Staff were friendly and helpful, check in and out was easy. Parking was cheap (part of the reason I choose this hotel). Location was good, within walking distance of Michigan Ave. Shower had good water pressure. Bed was comfortable. Overall a great place to stay. I will definitely stay again.

• King Room - Disability Access

While the parking fee was better than most - needed to leave my car there until 3 pm, and was only allowed to do so until 2 pm. Result - had to drive it in heavy traffic for meet family for lunch before heading home, and pay additional parking fees elsewhere.

Bed was very comfy, breakfast special was very good.

They were too rigid and in spite of telling them at the time if check in that we might check out earlier , they charged us one night extra and sid it is their hotel policy . This they could have told us . When I confirmed check out with them booking.com showed 5 nights only but hotel charged me for 6 nights . Then they should have informed booking.com to re update the status and it then showed 6 nights . This was pathetic. It is not a matter of 99 USD + tax but ethics I was not impressed at all

Spacious room

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Tiny rooms, pool area very cold, elevators can be confusing. From the 5th floor you have to go down to 4 to a different elevator and then go back up to go to the pool. Tiny check in area.

The only thing we liked about the property was the location. Perfect walking distance to most things.

to much but for 235.00 my room came with no microwave or fridge and no free breakfast and it was to difficult to go swimming without getting lost you have to ride separate elevators just to swim and also my floor smelled like a backup sewer two hundred gone bad and the room was small

I like the overall look of the hotel it was clean

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The restaurant menu options were over priced. Decided not to get the voucher because the selections weren't great. The manager was not friendly when asking about breakfast.

The staff was nice (except manager). Clean rooms and the pool was a hit for the kids.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The lighting in the bathroom and the door wouldn't stay closed; but that's being nitpicky. Most was amazing

Will at the front desk when we arrived for check in was AMAZING!!!! He helped us with all types of questions we had, even gave us a code to get a ride to our concert! He went above and beyond.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Disability Access

A mini fridge would be MUCH appreciated in the room.

The concierge - Wallace! He was so helpful, friendly, and full of suggestions and tips for what we wanted to see and do in Chicago. He greeted us every time we walked through the doors and was always eager to talk and answer questions we had. The pool and gym were exceptional and clean, loved the balcony with the table to hangout at with views of the skyscrapers surrounding the hotel. We could see murals that were at close by buildings. Nice photo-op!

The employees was very nice and helpful! They went above and beyond to make sure we was happy. Every time I come to Chicago that where I would stay. Thank you guys for making our stay better

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

There isn't much to say of what I don't like. Everything was wonderful and surpassed my expectations.

I liked that access to our hotel room was easy. Very quiet. My room was located on the third floor. The floor had vending machines and soda machines, something that is convenient if craving for something to snack on. As well, the room had many pillows and in the shower, there was a shampoo/body gel dispenser available. Also this hotel is surrounded by many restaurants, Walgreen, Starbucks, coffee shops, banks and much more. Many of these places are just a 5-15 minute walk.

The staff were great and facilities better than expected. The hotel was very clean and well kept. The value for the area was also great. Only thing I would change is that the room didn't have a mini fridge but not the end of the world. Definitely will be coming back!

The hallways were dated and looked dirty. Was a little nervous that’s what our room would look like, but the room was nice! It was clean and the bed was comfy.

We had a nice view from our room!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Everyone an everything was excellent i stayed overnight an enjoyed my nice room will be coming back soon an please send me discounts an deals on rooms next time i would like to be inform on single bed rooms

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

I was unpleasantly surprised to receive a $25 parking fee when none was mentioned upon booking the hotel. I specifically chose the facility for the ease of parking and the belief that parking was included. I highly recommend the website be updated to clearly indicate this parking fee so future patrons are not surprised, as I was.

The location was excellent, the room was clean and quiet. The front desk staff was very helpful, especially when asked about public transportation assistance.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Disability Access

Very friendly staff, LOVED the bathroom setup and how spacious it was and I also loved the location of the hotel! Overall, very satisfied with this hotel experience and will definitely visit again next time i visit Chicago!

The temperature of the indoor pool could have been warmer considering that I booked in December.

The parking service was great! When you're ready to go to your room or either leave, staff will bring your vehicle to you.

The bathroom was super tiny. I also didn’t like the bedding. The bed was okay.

I liked the price and how close it was to the venue. The room, thankfully, heated quickly and warmed us up from our mile walk from the theater.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The hallways were like a maize, easy to get lost, but fun when your coming back from a night out and can't find your room.

The hotel nice, very friendly.

• Deluxe King Suite

The rigidity in the security for people already on a list for certain rooms. Had the ability to have 5 friends in room with me, but security was strict about letting me through, even though the room was in my name, because I did not have a wristband.

The convenient location was the best part.

Room to 440 is to bright with the lights from the city even with the curtains closed but I have to sleep with complete darkness ! The room was great and the staff. Merry Christmas!

Breakfast was awesome!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

ONLY ONE STAIN ON BATHROOM TUB THAT MAY NOT BE REMOVABLE (MAYBE A BURN?)

LOCATION TO RESTAURANTS AND ACTIVITIES AND SHOPPING FAIRLY GOOD (3 RESTAURANTS ON 3 CORNERS JUST ACROSS AND ON SAME BLOCK!). CHICAGO IS BIG SO BEING SO CLOSE TO DOWNTOWN WITHOUT HAVING TO STAY IN AN UPPER FLOOR WAS GREAT. STAYED ON SECOND FLOOR SO USED STAIRS MOST OF TIME AND THEY HAD MORE THAN ONE ENTRANCE AND EXIT WHICH IS ALSO NICE. HAD COFFEE AND HOT WATER FOR COCOA AND TEA FREE IN LOBBY AND FRIENDLY STAFF ALL THE TIME. ALSO LIKED BATHROOM AND SHOWER COMBINATION! ROOMS WERE ALSO QUITE WITH NO REAL STREET NOISE, VERY IMPRESSIVE! ROOM ALSO SMELLED CLEAN AND NO BAD ODORS!

The tub was not fully cleaned when we entered the room and a dead bug was found inside of the towels hanging on the rack. There were also large stains on the heavy comforter on the bed so I recommend bringing some of your own. The walls are paper thin (I could hear a guest being violently ill for quite some time and then the subsequent flushing) so be prepared for that. At least the front desk offfers complimentary ear plugs! In addition, be prepared to pay double for parking initially for incidental charges which was not told beforehand and caused some difficulties with check in. You get what you pay for here, most definitely.

The in-hotel restaurant made wonderful mixed drinks (get a Long Island, you won’t regret it) and the half off drink coupon for guests was very nice. The wait staff is also very friendly and welcoming. The pizza isn’t the greatest, so don’t go expecting much. The pool was also nice, although there was no mention of the difficulties getting to and from there and the lobby if your room is in the opposite building. With the exception of one front desk staff, the the staff were unfailingly polite and extremely helpful. The man with the long hair and nose stud and the young lady with the bob haircut were awesome!

• King Suite

Construction work outside from throughout stay making it very noisy early morning and workmen outside bedroom window for about 6 days

Very comfortable bed and pillows. Excellent location for seeing sights

Too, too and too noisy air-conditioner! Without any exaggeration, like a little tractor in your room. Too hard to sleep. It is good to know in advance that they take a deposit - 50$ for each night!

Plugs were placed on the base of the lamps, in such a way that a voltage adaptor (and not a particularly big one) wouldn’t plug in. We had to unplug a lamp from the wall to charge our phones. That’s it really. Everything else was great :)

The location is fantastic. Within walking distance of The Magnificent Mile, Portillo’s Hot Dogs...and within a slightly longer walking distance (10-15 mins) of the entire downtown. We took the Blue Line from the airport straight in, then it was just a short walk to the hotel from our station (don’t waste your money on a taxi, there is no need!). All the staff we dealt with were really friendly, especially the supervisor who helped us get a cab after our visit (I’ve forgotten his name, unfortunately). All the staff, including the receptionists and maids, were excellent. The beds were so comfortable! Rooms were immaculately clean. The beds were neatly made, but NOT to that excessive degree that you sometimes get in hotels where you have to basically rip the bed apart just to sleep in it 😜 we accidentally left a suit on the rail in the bathroom, and as soon as I had filled out a form and sent it back to them, it arrived in the post the next day. This hotel even has a swimming pool (unfortunately, due to being busy during our stay in Chicago, we didn’t get a chance to use it)!

Room was clean. Being completely subjective, the bed and pillows were firmer than I prefer, but that doesn't apply to everyone. For the location, there was definitely no better price or hotel.

Smell of fried meat was often in room even with closed window. Renovation in hotel woke up us at 8.30 with loud drilling.

Good location close in city center, big room, comfortable bed.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Comfortable beds - the room was very clean and quiet. Reception were very helpful and any request was dealt with immediately. Good location too ... very near the city.

dirty room, AC very noisy...was cold and we needed to have it on but, couldn't sleep, bathroom very basic, small and cold, no fridge, no microwave. $140 for 1 night, you just pay the location and not the comforts. Never stay again.

Stuff friendly.

The carpet in the rooms need a rug cleaner. The rooms were clean and very stocked, but the carpet was dingy. I did not take off my shoes till I got into bed.

The beds were so comfortable and the rooms clean. The staff was extremely polite and very helpful. The best hotel staff I have ever dealt with. They went way beyond normal customer service. Even the valet guys were awesome. They asked if I needed anything every day I was there. Impressive. The hotel is 4 blocks to the red line and is near some great neighborhood bars.

The location can't be beat. Especially for foodies this is a great area to stay at. There are literally dozens of great restaurants within walking distance.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

construction going on outside was noisy. No refrigerator in room - very surprising

very clean, good beds, room size OK. Room service breakfast was well priced and good.

The only thing that was negative was traffic noise. Our room was located near the parking garage entrance which may have been the source of the noise,

We loved this hotel. Everyone working at the front desk was very friendly and helpful. The location was great for our trip. It was close to many great places to eat. The pool was large and there was a great patio area just behind the pool. A great place to watch the sunset. The fact that they give you free ice cream sandwiches is just a great perk.

no complaints.

We stayed here the night before the Chicago marathon so unfortunately all we got to do, was eat at Quartino's (a small plate italian restaurant about 3 min walk away), sleep and shower here, but the room was amazing, the towels smelled like cupcakes and were really fluffy, the bed was really comfortable and room was really big for downtown Chicago. I didn't park at the hotel because I get great deals using Spothero, and I do not use my car in the city anyway, but there was parking on site. Hotel staff was really kind letting me in the room after I locked my keycard inside the room too... A real bonus we noticed was that the room was really well lit (I don't usually notice this at hotels but I guess I noticed now because it was so different from other places I stayed at). There's also a hard rock Cafe across the street if you're a burger lover. about a 20 min walk from Grant Park, 10 min walk from the Architecture boat tours and you get to cross any bridge of your choice heading south.

They are currently doing an outside renovation and it got noisy early with workers outside

Clean room, friendly staff, walking distance to lots of attractions

There was renovation work going on during our stay and the work started quite early in the morning. Just one of those things, but it was a shame to be woken up by it.

Lovely room, not as big as others in the States but it was cozy and a pleasant stay in a fabulous location!

There was quite a lot of noise from the street below and the room next door. However being in the location and for the value for money I thought it was acceptable.

The location was excellent we was close to the Magnificent mile, and was able to walk to the Beach/Lake Mitchigan

Everything is perfect, but I hope the price to be cut down.

The service is very good. Every hotel staff treated us friendly. The room is very clean and the bed is perfectly comfortable. I love the bed, it is enough for 2 people.

Great location! You can pretty much walk to every attraction and there is alot food options right down the steet :) My husband and I loved our Chicago trip!

Need me elevators

Wallace was a big help to our family. Helping with the bags, on where to eat, where to go, even getting us cabs. He is your best asset.

We were at the front of the building so street noise was very loud. Also seemed to be a lot of noise from hallway and room above.

Good location within walking distance to many restaurants. Staff very friendly and accommodating. The pool area and the terrace was really nice and clean!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Disability Access

Location and comfortable. Super friendly staff with good recommendations. I'd highly recommend this place to anyone looking for a few days in Chicago.

Hotel halls stink of cleansing liquids. Hotel room stinks as if they tried to cover the cat piss with the cleansing liquids. Room looks clean, but doesn’t feel clean. Matt added and pillows are very uncomfortable. Receptionists are not very friendly. Upon returning to our room one night we realized that the housekeeping lady threw away (or stole?) our bag with shopping items (there were both some food and clothing items bought earlier that day). There was no way of confusing this bag with garbage, by the way. It was put on the top of our other bag, so there could be no confusion. After realizing that the bag was gone I instantly called the reception. They promised to come back to us the next morning from 8 am till 11 am. However, nobody called us regarding this the next day in the given time period. I came to the reception and the morning manager told me that nobody gave him the information regarding the stolen bag, so nobody didn’t even start doing anything that whole time. After explaining the situation again they promised me to try to find our bag. After some time I returned to the reception (because they failed to call me, although they promised to keep me posted). I had a strong feeling that nobody cared much about my situation. They weren’t even trying to make an effort and properly apologize. They acted quite lazy. And if I didn’t insist on doing something, they wouldn’t follow up on the matter at all. They obviously couldn’t find the bag, since they lost so much time. At last, they decided to reimburse me for the part of the things that was in the stolen bag (I had a receipt for just some of the things). I wonder, what would happen if the receipt was in the bag and not in my wallet (I guess, in this case they wouldn’t reimburse me even this part, not even apologize). Overall, this was a very disappointing experience. Nothing like this has ever happened to me in any other hotels. I have never faced such poor management and poor manners of the receptionists.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Terrible smell in room, workers hammering in hallway , could not rest before evening event

Room smelled of burnt tar from restaurant in back, asked to change room but they were simply placing in a room a few doors down that would not solve problem. Could not get it together before our event. Ridiculous .

Room next to the vendingmachine for beverages and Drinks/icecube, very noisy at night especially

Free Wifi, free Coffee in the Lobby, very clean and nice staff, Express checkout

Not being told that they had building works the whole time we were there and not being able to sleep past 8am because that's when the builders started. The first morning we were woken up by a blow torch outside our window which set the fire alarm off

Staff were nice and the hotel was clean and. Rooms nice

Old and slow elevators Poor breakfast Small fitness room, poorly equipped and no AC Very poor wifi signal in my room

Well located Clean room and comfortable bed

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Disability Access

Perfect location for everything in Chicago, walk to the magnificent mile, Willis Tower, Navy Pier,surrounded by good eateries, easy to get to from the Airport.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The complimentary break fast is cheap. Assume Hotel pays only a very nominal amount to the restaurant. I can say USD 4 or 5/- (the resturant is not a part of hotel) This is a very bad experience and I would definitely not recommend this hotel to my acquaintance and will not consider for myself. Please upgrade complimentary breakfast to an international standard.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

But one other African-American staff at the counter should learn a thing or two about counter service, maybe, learn from Wallace !! This guy at the counter doesn't smile, doesn't greet, gives standard policy answers, etc. Shouldn't do counter service.

Wallace was great. Very helpful. So was the stuff at the counter.