Reviews of Bay Front Inn 2 stars

325 Pacific Avenue, Santa Cruz, CA 95060, USA

#48 of 58 hotels in Santa Cruz

5.9

The only thing that could use some improvement was the breakfast. Free is great, but it had very limited foods provided and the pastries were all hard. However the coffee was great.

I traveled with my husband, daughter, my sister and her family. This was our 2nd time here. We were accommodated with large family rooms right next to each other. The staff went above and beyond and was very friendly. If anything extra was needed it was provided. The price and proximity was the best in the area and it was VERY close to the Boardwalk.

• Queen Room

There should be more breakfast options I think like meats and eggs and the pool should be scrubbed. I also think some painting could be done and patches should be completely fixed because presentation is important.

The WiFi worked well for it to be used by a good amount of people. The cable had really good options, here was a DVD player and you could purchase movies on the tv as well. The bed was very comfortable and presented nicely for my stay. The bathroom was fairly nice and there was complimentary coffee for the keuregg in the room. I also really like the mini fridge and the microwave.

• Queen Room

Very friendly staff at check in. Room was comfy and spacious. I like that there's hardwood instead of carpet on the floor. Plus it's down the street from the beach, boardwalk, and Pacific avenue so very convenient location!

• Queen Room

Second time I stayed here. Single queen room, thin walls, can hear people walking on 2nd floor. Traffic a bit loud. Finally settled in and slept well. Plantation shutters allows too much light in.

Good location near downtown Pacific Avenue and quick walk to the wharf. Continental breakfast.

• Queen Room

Sound definitely travels in the courtyard, but I still really enjoyed my stay.

The service was great, the facilities/location were beautiful, and the free breakfast is a really nice inclusion.

Not enough towels, ever! Kind of dirty. Need to pay extra attention to cleanliness details like dusting ledges and things in the room.

Great location within walking distance to the boardwalk. Comfy beds.

the warmer is too noisy! and if I close it when i sleep, it won't open itself and the room will be cold when i get up in the morning. i found room with single bed has a new type of warmer and hopefully all room can have.

the positon is perfect. close to the beach. close to metro center. good for people without a car like me. many restaurants nearby

Very dirty. No smoke alarm. Poorly maintained. No hangers. Filthy fan cover in bathroom. Staff not interested in my comments.

Nothing. Place was horrible!

• Queen Room

The tv remote didn't work, our room had no shower curtain, so they changed us to a new room. The shower water in our new room wouldn't stay hot, it kept getting hot than super cold every 20 seconds. This place is very run down and over priced!

I wish there was more of a selection at breakfast like maybe bagels. Also the parking is a little crazy.

the location was great. and the hard wood floor were awesome

• Queen Room

Where do I start: Room dirty. Shower warm till got ready to get out. Took. 4-5 minutes to heat up. Water damage on wall in bathroom. Didn't clean room after first night. Room 116 ridiculously cramped. Bed side light flickered every time moved. Requested a room with no one upstairs in specific box. They put me in a room I asked not too. They did changed me. Why have the request option if you are not going to read it!!

Bed comfortable

Previously used shampoo bottles, broken toilet paper holder, 2x4s for a bathroom vanity with nails hanging out, loud heater/ac, charged &10 for parking if booked thru 3rd party, dirty walls/doors.

It had a big tv.

• Queen Room

The breakfast selection could have been better. All they had was some dry cereal, a sliced cake thing, and waffles. They were out of butter for the waffles. The website showed more breakfast items. They did have milk, orange juice and coffee.

The room was clean and comfortable. It was nothing fancy - a basic, simple room. It did have a refrigerator, microwave, and Keurig coffeemaker, which was a plus. We were only there for one night but were satisfied with the hotel. We also got a good rate for the room.

• Queen Room

Curtain was dirty. Had a glass front door. It was fine just a little odd. Guy at front fest was great and friendly. I really liked him

Big bed flat screen TV Kerig machine. Wood floors

• Queen Room

Promised a heated pool, we absolutely would have stayed at a different hotel. This was deal breaker. The lack of smoke detector and filthy room were just frosting on the cake. High speed wi-if is non existent. False advertising!!! Also, TV and remote do not work at all. When we complained, they rudely said they would come show us how to use a remote. When the woman realizes it was actually broken, she commented that her boss “was supposed to show her how to fix this, but still had not.”

Check-in employee on Sunday Feb. 4 was rude. Promised a heated pool that wasn’t heated. No smoke detector in room. Had to scrub the floor on my hands and knees myself.

• Queen Room

The wifi was truly terrible, I had to sit outside for 45 mins when checking in as the person that was supposed to there didnt arrive.

Bed was nice and comfy, and really nice and clean

• Queen Room

The door are so close together you can hear everything

The staff was awesome. The room was very cute & comfortable for the price. Very close to the wharf. Definitely staying here again!

• Queen Room

I was immediately welcomed by the smiling Staff and was helped to find my room without problem. My favorite part was definitely all the restaurants and the beach within walking distance from this hotel. (little Mexican spot around the corner is an absolute plus)

The room was not as it appeared in the pictures. Dirt and scuff marks all over the walls. Bathroom had holes in the wall where the toilet paper holder should be. No place to hang a towel. The pool was very worn and the pool light was a wire coming out with the light floating in the pool. Very, Very disappointed.

Room dirty sheets were dirty walls dirty oil on the walls the bathroom was dirty looked like it had not been painted in 20 Years just gross the worst room I stayed in 41 years of my life.

This place was dirty and looked like it had not been cleaned in weeks.

• Queen Room

the room was way over priced. we payed $139.00 for one night when we could have gotten it for around $60.00 through the hotel. The staff member at the desk was kind enough to up grade our room. The upgrade was not worth the $139.00 that we spent.

friendly staff, even though owners would not allow them to run the air condition in the office. It was very hot.

• Queen Room

The location was close to the beach but not really in walking distance of any bars or restaurants and we did not enjoy the restaurant recommendation made by the hotel staff. This could just be personal prefernece. The breakfast variety was lacking and we ended up dropping for food elsewhere.

The staff were very friendly, the room was lovely and there was parking for a $10 fee per night.

Very run down, the bathroom smelled like sewer made the whole room smell, floor was so dirty I wouldn't let the kids play on it, our room was in need of a through cleaning! Dead bugs! Roches and fleas all in the extra blankets! Way over priced! Better off elsewhere!

Staff was great, very friendly and helpful! Beds were comfortable! Hidden fees! Charged for parking even though we didn't park there. Nice coffee machine, big fridge, microwave.

• Queen Room

There was extra blankets in the closet, I was going to use one and it was full of dead fleas, someone must have used it for their dog!

It was close to Downtown and also close to the Boardwalk attractions. The housekeeping staff was awesome, I had 2 small children with me, they brought a crib for me to use!

• Queen Room

The wifi was crap, slow and dropped out frequently. One of our lamps turned on and off at sporadic intervals.

Breakfast is plentiful and you can make your own Waffles. Location is handy!

• Queen Room

(1) Although the are many slots to park at the hotel there is NO control whatsoever of authorized cars (I saw a bunch parked without hotel permit during my whole 4-days stay). Unauthorized parked car should be towed. Quite annoying situation because other guest simply leave their cars abandoned throughout the parking lot and mostly blocking other guests car (like mine). (2) there is a SURPRISE $25/day FEE if you bring your PET. Nothing is informed BEFORE you book, so you might get surprised only when you check-in.

• Queen Room

I love the location, perfect to walk start to the beach/pier and boredwalk ! Nice staff, awesome complimentary, breakfast! I stayed her about a month a half ago with my dad and brother. Came back t being my boyfriend. And the one bedroom was even better than the double queen. Smelled so fresh and clean! Pool is beautiful! Looks really clean. Didn't a take a swim time around because it was alittle cooler. But it is a great pool!

I didn't like that the towels were fairly thin & could have been bigger. Also coffee could have been provided for arrival & following morning. Didn't like having to pay $10 per day to park

I liked that it had wooden floors, this could have been cleaner but hey ho, I left my flip flops on

Absolutely ghetto! The room and bathroom SMELLED like an old wet sponge. Both the room and bathroom were filthy. We think there was blood on the bathroom wall. Our room was in need of a complete cleaning, not just a quick maid turn-over. Disgusting.

The location.

Remote to TV, Did not work. Had to go to office for back up. Wi-Fi was spotty! Gave up after a short period. Total facility was run down. Not worth $200.00 for one night. Will not go back!

• Queen Room

The property is severely dated, over priced beyond belief, and is a motel in all of the worse ways. It reminded me of a drug infested, prostitute dwelling that had 1970's long draperies to cover the window and the door. Don't believe the 3.8 rating!!! More like 1.8!!

I liked the front desk clerk's ability to understand why I requested a refund for the second night. He fully recognized my extreme disappointment with the property as it related to the cost of the room.

the room was run down, needs painting among other things. missed the part in the advertisement about the lack of parking and then a charge on top of that.

the bed was comfortable, the towels etc. were clean. location was great.

Basic motel type property that has seen better days. "Tired" appearance and smelly toilet. It was really expensive for what was offered and Santa Cruz sure isn't Carmel standard location. 13 days in California and 3 in Las Vegas on this trip covering 11 hotels and this one was bottom of the pile by some distance. I am surprised with its Booking.com rating

I am struggling here - ok, it was less than 10 minutes walk to the beach and wharf.

• Queen Room

Nothing to complain. I enjoyed my stay and had a good clean room. Short distance to the boardwalk. All great!

I was quite surprised at how clean and tidy it was. I had read several reviews and they weren't good, so I figured I was going to get what I paid for. Needless to say I will stay again.

Floor of the room wasn't carpeted and not especially clean.

Convenient to Boardwalk and wharf, pool, nice choices at breakfast, very helpful staff. Old facility but we had restful night's sleep. Convenient parking.

I did not like anything about this property. There is a newer part of the property that they show on their website. However, there is a much, much older part that is horrible.

NOTHING!

• Queen Room

($10) day parking fee at the location which I didn't realize until I got there.

Enjoyed the short walk to the beach and beach boardwalk, parking seemed safe. Buildings are older and could use care but for the price for a safe place to sleep and decent breakfast it was perfect. The staff went above expectations when we had requests, they were eager to do what they could.

OMG the prices of everything in the area is high. The pool was small so 6 kids swimming did not make it a nice environment for a quiet dip at night. Breakfast was OK, long wait for a waffle. Always found something to hold me over until we got somewhere for a meal.

Location, location, location. Also liked that we had rooms in the back, away from the parking lot, so it was nice & quiet at night. We were also traveling with a toddler and we were able to section off an area and keep the door open to catch the breeze.

They overfilled/booked their parking lot. After we paid extra for parking at check in, and were given a parking spot, later that night my boyfriend returned from the store. They had oversold the lot, admitted they had never counted the number of spots they even had, and told us to park down the street. They never offered the parking fee in return. This is extremely unprofessional. There was so many guests at the continental breakfast due to how many guests they were allowing in each room that you had to wait over a half hour to make a waffle, when we got up there, there was no waffle batter left, and not much else. One of the staff members was extremely rude as well. I would not stay here again. The room was as expected, however everything else was terrible.

The room and pool looked as we had expected.

The room needed some TLC. The bathroom floor needed to be cleaned, and so did the rooms floor. The room needs to be painted and the vent in the bathroom needs to be cleaned, it was disgusting.

The location was good and the bed was comfortable.

Nothing not to like

Lovely location. 5 minute walk from the boardwalk. Lovely staff, clean. My favourite place from a three week road trip of the west coast

The room was absolutely filthy! Our feet were black on the bottom if we did not wear our shoes at all times. There was a horrible smell coming from the toilet area- possible mildew or sewage problems. The wifi password worked for about an hour but then we could never get the wifi working again for the rest of the two days. The shower drain was bent badly and our son lost one of toys down the drain. When we informed the front desk she told us she would tell room service but no help came from it.

• Queen Room

Hardwood (fake) floors. My dog can't stand up on smooth surfaces so he couldn't move around the room. But I understand for cleaning purposes it's much easier with animals allowed and being close to the beach.

Bed was very comfy. My dog loved it!

The rooms smell bad, floors are dirty, stains on bedsheets, a wall outside the window and can hear everything Total waste of almost $200

The boardwalk is within a few minutes walking

Poor internet in our room. Questionable cleaniness for yhe older buildings under remodel. Pool needs upgrade work.

Location was fine. Close to the ocean. Quiet room.quick checkout. Santa Cruz is very lovely.

Our view out the window was just a tall white fence. Sadly there was no possible view of water but the access made up for that

Love the room set up and was very clean. Close to the boardwalk and easy to walk through downtown even with 3 children

The price was double in June compared to September of 2016 price is for a five star and this is a 3. Minus All so parking lot does not hold all the guest if you take your car Saturday evening you will have to park on the street and hope your luck is good.

Location is great, you can walk downtown or the beach and the pier

room is dirty, shower's drain not working; room has weird smell; breakfast food is not quality and not provided water or juice; room has mold smell

nothing about the hotel

You could hear traffic all night long, people yelling and banging things in the neighbouring rooms, the staff was very rude, there were holes in the wall, floor and ceiling. It was very dirty and I felt unsafe for my family. We will never ever go back.

This hotel is so dirty, your feet get black from the dirt on the floor. States accomidations for dogs. There is none. No designated place like it says on website to take them. So there is dog poop all over parking lot. Everywhere. Refrigerator never worked. Paid $$$, so disappointed.

NOTHING!!!

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

• Queen Room

Even with making the reservation ahead of time, they didnt do a preauthorization untill hours befor checking in, causing me to he down $100 dollers, and just under what i needed to pay for the room. They also gave no warning they were going to do this when they called asking what time i would be there, and wouldn't work with me to refund the $100, only telling me it would go back to my card in a few days.

The bed was nice but squeaky, and the free breakfast was nice.

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

• Queen Room

The security door lock was broken the coffee maker didnt work, no phone or alarm clock and the tv had a crack in it also the service staff couldnt clean our room until after 5pm.

The location was convenient.

There was sewer smells coming from the bathroom that made it slightly unpleasant when we showered. Also, the showerhead was too high which also made it awkward in the shower.

The complimentary breakfast is a super bonus! The waffle iron is amazing.

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

• Queen Room

If I was being very critical I would say the rooms on the balcony side are nicer than the opposite side.

I loved the location and the staff were very accommodating and I was made to feel important.

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

Tacky, people smoking by the pool, in the breezeways. No coffee cups in the room, had to wait until someone arrived at the front desk to get one, then she gave me grief because it was before 8am. Light bulb out in bathroom, tiny room, sandy/dirty floor, no bathroom hooks or counter space, pillow was a brick. Construction workers across the hall in two rooms loaded up trucks, bang/clang and loud voices at 5:30 am. $10 to park.

• Queen Room

Once we arrived we were charged an additional $50 for parking and a few nights we didnt even get to use the parking because it was full we had to to park down the street and walk back to the Hotel they told us they couldnt tow the ones that didnt have patking passes. The breakfast was meh, there was another guest smoking marajuana ouside of his room right in front of my kids we told the staff and they made him go across the street.I was hoping for a little bit better room it is not the worst nor is it even close to five star. You are getting the convenience of the beach that is what you are paying for.

Super close to the beach, the boardwalk, and the a little exploratory for the kids. 5 minutes from evything.

• Queen Room

The mirrors were too small; missing a large one; glass entrance door. no parking was povided, and when we came back around 10 pm there was no parking in front of the hotel.

location, tv,

Room was small and dirty my daughter walked on the floor for a few minutes and we looked at her feet and they were filthy from the floor

Close to ocean

• Queen Room

They allow visitors to be loud, no matter what time of night it is. Drug use by some tenants is obvious. I did not feel safe here. Definitely not a place for children! Beware

Not really anything. I left after one night.

The bed was soft, the flooring was faux wood, which is not the issue, it was not very clean. No hangers, no pool towels other then the bath towels. The thing that really got me was the parking. But if you were on the street they did pay the meter. All in all a good visit.

The location was pretty good. Could not see the water from our room but very close to the boardwalk. The room was a nice size.

• Reviewed: 7 June 2017

someone pounded on our door at 1:30 2:15 and 3:00 am and I tried to call the front office no answer both times that I called. I had my niece and her daughter and we were scared to make a sound. No one in the office at 8 am when we tried to got to breakfast... the hair dryer caught on fire I ran to the office to tell the man that finally got there at 8:15 all our issues and he said yes sorry they haven't had enough help so they close at night... Sorry I would have never stayed in this motel if I knew there was no security of any kind not at $125 what we paid and not even for free. Room was filthy with food on walls floors filthy door did not shut all the way and could see out the bottom. Also on your car they write the Room # your staying in and the lot has access to anyone and they can find you in your room, not cool for robberies :( Not safe at all. Would have liked a refund but didn't ask, thought they should have offered since I didn't actually sleep there. Left by 9am... :(

close to beach

• Reviewed: 7 June 2017

No hot water.no washcloths. No parking available onsite, had to pay the meter for street parking. Floors dirty. Sink and shower drains were clogged and backing up. Stained bedding , comforter and sheets so bad ,slept on top of bed with jackets.

Free wifi.

• Queen Room

Floor felt dirty on our bare feet for the baby to crawl on, so we did some wiping with water and a rag we had in the car and boy, was it dirty! It did not seem to have been mopped or at least not very well. On the other hand, the laminate floors look great and helped our smaller king room feel a bit more spacious.

They were really full during on our 2-night weekend stay and we were given an inconvenient upstairs room initially which would have been more of a struggle with our baby and young child. After some friendly and patient asking on our part, John at the front desk was able to find a 1st floor room in front of the pool area which was great. Parking lot at night got full, with cars really packed in everywhere. We felt lucky to find a spot and not need to park on the street. Always surprised by the $10/night parking fee. One of our favorite places to stay in SC. Great location to walk to wharf/ocean/boardwalk, or the other direction to downtown. Basic continental breakfast with waffles, yogurt, toast, and juice wasn't very satisfying for us. We walked a few blocks to the Bagelry instead for egg bagel sandwiches and soup. Would have loved ever some HB eggs or other protein. Great that the free Monterey Bay Aquarium visitors center is just a few blocks away. We had a birthday dinner at Firefish Grill with a table right next to the window with great water view. We were blown away by the Ahi Tuna special and impressed by the looks of the other food coming out of the open kitchen. Enjoyed the quick walk back to the hotel.

The shower smelt a bit funky and the room was a bit grubby. But apart from that it was good.

The location was the best thing about this hotel. It is located right next to the beach boardwalk, and pier. The room was an adequate size and had good facilities such as fridge, TV. Breakfast was included Which was pretty good had a choice of cereal and waffles. Overall was a pleasant stay and we enjoyed Santa Cruz!

• Reviewed: 25 May 2017

• Queen Room

I didn't like that there was a 5 dollar service charge and a 10 parking charge added at the property. Because we used booking.com. if we would have booked with the property we would have paid 75 for room and parking plus taxes.

• Reviewed: 24 May 2017

the beds weren't that comfortable the restroom was to small the floor was really dirty my daughters feet were really black after walking around.

it was quiet. distance from the beach was good.

Lack of parking when hotel full. Noisey people next door. Decided to have a party at 2:30. Loud disrespectful . Screaming in the parking lot.

The room smell sewage we didn't have good sleep I reported to the front desk the staff said he will check on it and he came to the room and smell it he said he will just put it on record. Instead on putting us on the different room he just told us that he will put it on record. That's the worst thing ever I heard we there to relax and celebrate my wife and daughter birthday and Mother's Day but we paid $200++ dollars just to smell that nasty room all night

Nothing at all it's so different from the picture online

• Reviewed: 13 May 2017

• Queen Room

There wasn't anything to dislike and any timy problem that came up was taken care of instsntly.

Clean, comfortable, staff was very friendly and accomodating. Kierig machine in the room. Nice sized and well working refrigerator. Walking distance to the beach and Pacific Garden Mall. Many resturaunts and shopping within walking distance also.beds super comfortable.

• Queen Room

$10 car parking fee which wasn't mentioned at booking, new person on the front desk at the busiest check-in time which meant delays, bathroom had more to be desired - needed a facelift. But we were just after somewhere to put our heads for the night so it suited its purpose.

The location was excellent, just a block from the front and a short walk to the Boardwalk. Not exactly bay front as the name would suggest, but close enough!

• Reviewed: 7 May 2017

Charged for parking, but could not find a parking and most cards did not have the parking card that is issued by the hotel. My room was dirty and one of my coffee cups was dirty.

• Reviewed: 5 May 2017

• Queen Room

First room they gave us the tv was not functioning properly and the 2nd room they gave us, the microwave was not working either. We also had dirty towels.... It's safe to say we won't be returning back there

Bed was comfortable

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

The staff here are horrible! The front desk person was incredibly rude when we told him there was no parking. Then threatened to kick us out when we asked for a print out of hotel parking policies. There's an extra charge for parking as well. Rooms were run down with exposed wires and curtains had been torn out of wall and the door had been busted open at one point. Chain lock was torn off of door. Will NEVER book again paid $200 for bad customer service and sketchy rooms. John at the front desk should not be working in customer service.

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

• Queen Room

Pool was dirty staff was rude no heater on in pool big reason we choce this place you have to pay for parking and they dont have enough spots to what they rent the apartmet had old food in the fridge and bugs in the sink

• Reviewed: 14 April 2017

• Queen Room

They advertise wifi.... the room I was in barely had a signal. When I got one signal it would drop after 30 seconds or I wouldnt get one for a very very long time. I do my work on the internet so this was very important to me.

Comfortable bed.