Reviews of Red Roof Inn Birmingham South 2 stars

1466 Montgomery Highway, Birmingham, AL 35216, USA

#40 of 61 hotels in Birmingham

I arrived at 3pm and it took over 30 mins to check in. The employee assigned us to multiple rooms, I asked for first floor but by the end we wound up on the 3rd floor. The room was extremely unpleasant. It smelt very musty, the beds were like bricks, no coffee pot, non working smoke detectors. We had 2 rooms with our large group, I wish I hadnt Of wasted my time

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

the pictures on the website are not what the place and rooms actually look like. The room was filthy there were little black bugs on the sheets and the room smelled like a cigarette. I would not recommend this to anyone at all.

The property its self was nice. The hotel smelled musty an you could smell weed all night long. The pool was out of order, the ice machine didn't work.

The water fall

The noise outside the room was awful. the construction workers were very, loud, yelling till 10:30-11:00PM. And the crack in doors makes made it like they were in the room.

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The sheets had lots of stains on them. Booked a ground floor 2 double bed room but when we got there they had us in a room with a king size bed. Had to be moved to the second floor.

Had problems unlocking my door, the outside trash can by the steps was overflowing with trash, the air conditioner made a strange noise when it cut off, and the neighbors kids was extremely noisy

How clean the room was and the girl who checked me in and out.

• Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

The first room they gave us did not have clean sheets...they offered to changed them and we told them we wanted a different room which they accommodated. Also, there was a dirty washcloth sitting on the table...we hope that was actually a cleaning rag. The second room was better but I didn’t feel like the carpet was clean and I left my shoes on. To their credit, they did give us a discount for the room but, I will not try Red Roof Inn again.

The staff was still friendly when we complained about our first room.

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Was here for surgery at Ian my family stayed here they enjoyed their stay. Was a good price and comfortable beds. Would definitely recommend to anyone.

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The housekeeping staff needs to be re trained. I dropped something on the floor and as I kneeled down I found an empty bottle of water, a pack of cigarettes and a few inches of dust under bed. The room is non-smoking but I think someone smoked in the room and this is not the hotel's fault.

Felicia is an absolute joy at the reception. the lobby was renovated but the rooms can use a a fresh look. Amenities such is Coffee maker, hair dryer, iron, bathroom stuff is a nice touch. Close to good restaurants like Metro Diner and Fast Food Milo's and Captain fish.

Faint stains on the sheets and trash under bed upon arrival.

Bed was firm (a plus for me) and the staff was excellent at meeting my requests. The price was great for the value received

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The room was not what the picture looks like. There was a huge black stain on the bed cover. The bed skirt was filthy. There was a burnt odor coming from the air conditioner. The room smelled we had to get room deodorizer.

The location was near a lot of restaurants and hwy. We upgraded to have a fridge and microwave which was a great idea. The stafff were very pleasant and friendly.

booked through booking and so when we checked in there was no fridge or microwave and I have 2 small children. the comforters had stains which looked as if it was clean

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

I wish they could have a small breakfast like most motels. The bed was a bit hard for my liking, but we had a few extra comforters and our own sheets that we used.

We came to Birmingham for the INDYCAR race and this was a good home away from home for the 3-day weekend. Great location in S Birmingham, amazing rate and the staff was very nice. The room is a good value for money and upgrading to "premium" was just $3/night which included a fridge, microwave & larger TV. It was a nice addition since there's no breakfast offered.

The staff was extremely rude. Advertised as a pet friendly hotel, but was then told we had to take our dog with us everywhere because he couldn't stay in the room? The sheets were dirty and the floors had not been cleaned in quite some time. I really hated that we had such an unpleasant experience because we have stayed there every April for the past 5 years. Never again!

The price

• Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

The parking was awful. I had to park in a dark corner and when I got to my car the next morning someone put pizza all over my windshield

The bed blanket had several grease stains on it. The bath towels was rough and very worn out

• Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

The room wasn’t cleaned. The linen was very dirty. There were bugs on the bed and in the bathroom. When I called down to the office a couple of times, to request a different room, there was no answer.

The manager was amazing. He listened to my concerns, expressed his apology and assisted me in addressing my concerns. He also shared with me that the hotels are being upgraded -

Dirty, everywhere. The pool was closed and that was omitted when we booked. Staff not nice, at 11pm I was working in the “lobby” and before asking, staff told me I had to leave if I didn’t have a room. The way I was told was rude. They said it is family friendly but it is not true. People drinking and other things. A family of 5 they said that we would fit in a double room. Not true. They only said that in the ad so families like this one book there. Old, smelly, with mosquitoes inside, no fridge, no blankets!!!!!

At least we had clean towels. Too cheap

• Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

Full of loud teens. Was told at check in, "don't worry...you're on the quiet end." Didn't really know what that meant until we got to the rooms. Can't imagine what the "loud" end was like.

Good value.

• Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

Took a long time to check in. Room had no refrigerator, no microwave, slow internet. Seemed the room was not extremely clean either. Sign out front said "newly renovated"......perhaps they aren't finished yet!

Location was okay.

The lady at the front desk upon our arrival was AWESOME, but after 9pm there was no one at the front desk. I called and even went down there and the phone was ringing, but no one in sight.

Very good value. Clean rooms.

• Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

The bed was comfortable. The location was very good and quiet. Didn't hear any outside noises. Great place to spend the night when looking for a place for a good night's rest when traveling.

• Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

Check in was easy, room was clean and comfortable. We were just passing through Birmingham but have stayed at many Red Roof Inns and this one was just as good as some others we have stayed at.

A small refrigerator in the room would have nice, but our room was right by the vending machines so that was convenient.

Clean room, comfortable beds, and the staff was very friendly. Check in and out was super easy and hassle free. It’s located right off the interstate, which was very convenient since we were stopping for the night before we continued to our destination. The rooms are all non smoking (not a problem at all) so for us that smoke, we just had to walk out the door into the parking lot which made it convenient for us. We were able to park right outside our room door and didn’t have to pack our bags very far.

The bed and the pillows were pretty uncomfortable other than that it was great

The staff was very friendly coffee was always hot and the property was very clean and centrally located very nice

The bathroom had a hole in the wall and the towels didn't look that clean and they were scratchy. There was not refrigerator or microwave and it's always nice to have that.

The hotel advertised that there would be breakfast, but I didn't see anything prepared except coffee.

• Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

cleaning. When I did my check-in the room was pretty dirty, there was even a bottle of Fanta under the bed. One night I was woken up with a roach on my neck

location, size of the rooms, parking, staff, wifi

I don't think they check up on their cleaning people. There was a bloody bandage on the floor , the lamp shade had god knows what on it. We hardly got any sleep because of all the noise and now my kids know what weed smells like thanks to the people beside us. I told the girl at the front desk and all I got was " I'm sorry " smh I will never stay there again!

I liked the fact that we could walk to eat

When we got there, there were people just hanging out in the hallway, blaring music, and being loud. We walked in our room and the comforters on both beds had stains on them. One had red stains and we weren’t sure if it was blood. The other had a dark stain. We were really grossed out.

We didn’t really like anything about this hotel. The areas was sketchy and I felt uneasy the whole time. There were cops in the parking lot searching vehicles when we first got there.

• Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

I’ve stayed here twice now and Dzleca has been at the front desk both evenings. She is an awesome employee who has gone above and beyond to make my stay nice.

The room was not thoroughly cleaned; there were stains on the (extremely wrinkled) bedspread, dirt on the floor, and hair throughout the bathroom. The bed was hard, and there was barely enough room to walk Breen it and the dresser. I was shocked to find it was a large "motel" style building with exterior stairs and exterior entrances. People were smoking outside, right next to the stairs. There was no continental breakfast. The shower did not drain.

Most aspects of the guest room had been updated. The staff was friendly.

I would have liked to have coffee in my room but the lobby had coffee 24 hours so that was ok

the room was very nice beds were so comfortable everything was really great staff was very nice loved the shower with the nice stone walls

Where to start...there were strange and unusual stains on almost every surface from the ceiling, to the lampshades, to the mattresses. The floor looked like it had not been swept in quite some time. We were not comfortable walking on the floor without shoes on. Definitely not up to standards.

Felicia, the front desk agent, was very welcoming and positive. She was new on the job and there was some confusion about which rooms were clean and which were not. The first room we were sent to had not been cleaned, but Felicia took care of us quickly and we ended up in a room where the beds had been made.

• Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

I didn’t like that we didn’t have a fridge, iron, or microwave.

The people in the first office was nice especially the black lady that works on day shift.

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Only 2 towels in room, one small soap, no other toiletries and no shower mat. The camode leaked water into floor so had to use one towel for that. No breakfast, definitely a no frills kind of place.

Location was convenient and fairly clean.

• Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

The water pressure in the shower wasn’t good at all!!

The bed was very comfortable! The room was clean and because we were there for my daughter to have some testing done at the hospital they allowed us a later check out!

The WiFi kept loosing connection

Comfortable and very clean! Nice and quiet. Good selection of tv channels! Hot water whenever you wanted it! Maids did a very good job! Overall, I would recommend this hotel.

• Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

The renovation on the sign must have been 10 yrs ago. The wood floors needed sweeping. Towels and sheets were dingy. Door didn't shut unless you pulled and held it. Laundry room is a washer dryer outside next to vending machines. Just tacky

Not much. Basic Motel...not Hotel

I really wish they would have had a microwave and a coffee pot in the rooms or even free breakfast but other than that nothing .

I love the fact that it's affordable. Around here all others were 100 plus dollars

Cleaning staff yelling in the early morning hours to get attention of other staff to get something done (room service. Suggest maybe utilizing some handheld radio (walker talkie) to communicate

Location is strategically located with access to eating establishments, interstate access, visible red roof inn sign

No hair in the tub.

The room was clean and the sheets were clean. The only problem was the hair that was left in the tub. Aside from the hair in the tub I was very pleased and would use Red Roof again.

The ice machine wasnt working at the time but the staff did provide free cold water bottles and there were a small amount of roaches

It was clean. The staff was polite and accomidating. The room was clean, quiet, everything in the room worked, and the shower was great!

the noise, the beds, the bathroom things breaking, the lack of concern for things breaking.

Our toilet backed up one evening and when we called the front desk they said there wasn't anyone to come to the room to plunge the toilet, but we could come get a plunger and do it ourselves. I was shocked that we were expected to fix the toilet ourselves. I'm perfectly capable of plunging a toilet but that usually happens at home not at a hotel. The other odd thing that happened in our stay at red roof is that things in the bathroom started falling apart aside the backed up toilet; the toilet paper roll broke, the beds were so soft I had trouble sleeping, and the noise from the workers was a little disruptive. The staff were all very friendly and helpful but it doesn't make up for the missteps of the hotels standards.

• Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

There weren’t very many places to walk my dog. No poop stations visible around my room.

Pet friendly at no extra cost. Very affordable, super comfortable

• Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

There wasn't a microwave or refrigerator. Had to keep buying hot food & eat it all before getting cold. Ice machines didn't work. Had to buy ice cups from gas station or drink whatever I had warm. When closing curtains, had to pin them together so no one could see through.

The bed was soft & comfortable. Nice size tv. Hardwood floor was a very nice touch. Parking in font of my door was good. Area was nice & quiet.

• Deluxe Double Room

Trying to get to the hotel was very very stressful. Traffic was a madhouse trying to get to the hotel.

The front desk lady was amazing very friendly and helpful. Rooms were great.

The room was very dirty. The sheets were not changed from the previous guest (there was hair and dirt all over them). We had to request fresh linens. The bottom of the tub with filthy. I didn’t even give my kids a bath because it looked disgusting. My husband complained to the front desk and the manager apologized and gave us a refund for our stay.

I actually had booked in for two nights but it was so bad I cancelled the second night.I don't believe I was alone in the room at night and have the bite marks to prove it.Also there was a bad leak coming from the second floor into the reception/dining area and by the looks of it ,It wasn't the first one.

the desk clerk called the roon late in the evening and asked our credit card information because “there had been some confusion with our reservation. The next day we found that there had been two fraudulent purchases charged to our credit card.

The room key didn't work at first and there was an obvious prostitute on the first floor with men coming in and out of the room all night long. The room wasn't clean either.

• Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

Furniture was unorganized. Crowded, not arranged spaciously, had to turn sideways to walk past the end of the bed. Bed all the way mext to the a/c, so it blew on me all night. Mattress swayed in the middle, bedspread old and like fingernails on a chalkboard, spongy, it had dirt on it. Sheets came off both corners during the night, woke up touching the mattress, sheets bunched. That has never happened at any hotel ever! No refrigerator or microwave in the room. NO COFFEE IN THE ROOM! Had to walk to the lobby and see people before coffee. Advertisement said updated rooms, I didn't see it. Need new beds, new bedding, furniture. Had so much empty space on the far side of the bed, and an office chair sat there, lost in space. Need to move the bed away from the a/c with all that empty space. Rearrange. Do not plan on staying there again, and we visit B'ham often.

The bathroom was clean and the shower was hot, hot, hot. Front desk personnel were BOTH lovely (evening and morning)!! Lobby coffee very good amd hot.

• Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

I didn't like that there was only.one person working and it took forever to get checked in. My baby girl got very impatient lol. No big deal, but that's all I didn't like.

I loved the room! Clean and bug free! Great water pressure in the shower. Bed was very comfortable! Great location, close to everything. Golden Corral is my and my husband's favorite place to eat and it was right down the road!

• Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

The pillows was too firm. Didn't like the noisy garbage truck coming by at 4 in the morning. Should move the trash container round back.

All I thought accommodations

• Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

The rooms were not very comfortable or clean and we felt like we had little to no privacy.

The location was very convenient and the rooms are priced well.

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Parking was limited. Did not like having to park on opposite side of hotel from my room. Not much around area for eating.

Room was clean and somewhat updated. Good for overnight stay. Staff was friendly and check in easy. Bed was comfortable. Neighborhood was clean and felt safe.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Although the sign said recently refurbished one room had problems with the keycards almost the whole time and the other room's phone didn't work. We tried to use the laundry facilities which were in a poorly lit area, no option to purchase detergent but it didn't matter as neither the washer nor the dryer worked anyway. Waste bins at foot of stairs could have emptied more frequently.

Staff were helpful and friendly throughout and did their best to resolve the problems we had.

A continental breakfast is always a plus. No food amenities at this location.

The location was convenient for me, The room was clean and the area was quite.

• Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

The girl at the front desk would not put our loyalty number in she said because we booked third party. I told her we have never had a problem before and she said that’s the rule and my husband asked who’s rule and she said the owner and I said well can at least get our bottles of water and she said well you’re not supposed to, but I will only give you one and slammed it down on the counter! Very rude and poor customer service!

Nice place to stay, staff was friendly, rooms were clean. We booked 3 rms for 2 nights for the race @ Talladega, location for interstate access was great. Will stay there again.

• Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

The noise level during evening hours in rooms and outside. The room could've been more clean.

The neighborhood was beautiful and in close proximity to major roads and various places to eat. The staff was very nice and pleasant. Lots of channels on tv available.

Had to change rooms because dog in room next door wouldn't stop barking. 2nd room had no carpet and at 2:30am some man came banging in our window and door.

The first room was nice. Location was good.

• Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

Was supposed to be a microwave refrigerator in my room the desk said I would have pay extra for them. Also I am handicapped and they put me on the 3rd floor made it very hard on me

Limited dining choices in the immediate area except for fast/casual food

Very clean, comfortable, convenient location for highway access, economical

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

That my deluxe room didn't have a convertible couch nor did the hotel offer complimentary breakfast.

It was clean, & the facility was pet friendly.

• Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

No kleenex, no lotion, etc. Would have to have paid extra to get a room with micro, iron, ironing board,etc.

Nice comfortable bed, clean updated room, good location.

Parking was a bit oddly laid out and called for a little bit of creativity in getting unloaded. But there was plenty of parking overall.

I was exhausted after driving for something like 10 hours, so I was just delighted to finally arrive at someplace to stay. The neighborhood was a very nice one, so that was a plus. There were lots of great shopping malls/centers nearby (which we discovered the next morning). Birmingham is apparently a beautiful city. Never been there before. While I don't specifically rate this hotel as a romantic place to stay (it is a Red Roof Inn after all, not the Taj Mahal), what I saw of Birmingham as we drove through in the dark, demands that we revisit the city for a romantic trip. Hotel staff was pleasant, and to be honest, booking through Booking.com, whether in advance, or at the last minute is the only way to go. Got great rates compared to the hotel's website (shhh! don't tell Red Roof Inn).

• Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

Well when I arrive the room I have reserved was already booked which pissed me off!! And I had to pay extra to get a room wasn't very pleased not at all

We said there would be 4 of us checking in and when we got to our room there was only 3 bath towels and ALL 3 had STAINS. The stains on them weren't just a little black dot, they were the size of a dollar bill. Then the sheets on the left bed had yellow stains. The comforter/quilt had 4 huge stains and a cigarette burn. We went to the office to ask for new towels and the ones he bought up had hair on them and more stains. When we went to check out, they did not offer us a discount because they said we didn't move rooms when they offered that because we had already brought up our luggage. Then the front desk lady (Christy) had the worst attitude I've ever experienced. I WOULD NEVER STAY HERE AGAIN.

N/A it was horrible

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

i had made reservations it took an hour to check in untrained staff she was housekeeping sup and filling for a employee that didn't show up. She did the best she could the owners/ managers couldn't be reached wouldn't return her calls ! terrible the room was dirt bathroom floor sticky. will not stay here again!!

• Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

The bathtub was DIRTY. The house keepers did not bother cleaning the tub. The tub had dirt smudges and someone's hair everywhere!!! It made me feel check the bed thoroughly before getting in it. We also saw that the chair had solied spots!! Freaking Gross!!!

NA

There were no healthy options for breakfast. Just waffles, donuts and cereal so my husband was pretty disappointed. The room was nice but the lobby entrance looked very old and out dated.

The price was the lowest around which is why we stayed there.

I would have liked a refrigerator and microwave in the room. The room and bathroom were clean enough, but it could have been cleaner.

The hotel had us on the 3rd floor, but had an elevator in addition to the flights of stairs. The bed was fairly comfortable. It was very reasonably priced, especially during a hurricane evacuation. They allowed our dog with no extra charge. It was located in an area that was easy to navigate and close to restaurants and stores.

Our room smelled like cigarettes. We got it changed , and the next room smelled slightly stale but was cleaner than the first. One of the housekeepers had a bag of alcohol given to her by a guest. She smelled like she had already been drinking it. Other than that it was fine.

The woman at the front desk was really nice. Another lady changed our room when we called about the cigarette smell. They were accommodating. It was in a nice area and the property was kept clean.

• Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

It was nothing to dislike.

The courtesy of the front desk staff and location and this is one of the better Red Roof Inn's I've visited the Inn's in Atlanta are terrible..

• Standard King Room - Non-Smoking

No employee showed up for work, so housekeeper, Aura, had to fill end. Had to learn receive pmt, make keys etc. She was an employee anyone would be fortunate to have. But shame on rr inn for not getting someone there to cover shift.

Room seemed freshly painted.

Had a reason to call the front desk 2 times and never got an answer either time, so had to walk up front. Also, there was a group next door having a party, so it got noisy, went to front desk and explained situation. He said he would call them and ask they get quiet. The party got quieter but after about an hour started again. Bottom line, we probably won't be staying there again unless we have no choice.