Reviews of Bayside Hotel 3 stars

2001 Ocean Avenue, Santa Monica, Los Angeles, CA 90405, USA

#176 of 352 hotels in Los Angeles

The garden view room faced a blue wall, and the same room did not have water for about 3 hours in the AM.

The ocean view room was great! The staff was helpful, and knew all the local restaurants to eat at.

• Queen Room

I think we were given the worst room, the one right at the end, and on the last night the fire alarm went off several times in the middle of the night.

The location was really good and the room was clean.

• King Room with Garden View

It’s expensive compared to other places in LA we stayed in the Sheraton Gateway which was $190 a night and here we are paying over $300AUD. I guess it’s the location that you pay for. It’s walking distance into Santa Monica and a 10 minute walk to the Santa Monica pier. Great restaurant nearby on Main St. for breakfast called ‘M’ (I think) and also a pizzeria next door that does great pizza, great staff and ambience.

• Queen Room

Old dated building. Has had a lick of paint, but dated daggy fittings etc. Room was tiny and needed a thorough clean. Price was ridiculous for what we got. Half the price would still be too much. The guys in the front office looked dirty and very cold! No personality at all. The bed ??? sheet (singular)-yes, no top sheet!!! Not entirely sure it was a clean sheet. Overall a disappointing stay. Also got charged for mini bar (which we did not have) after we had left the motel. I would NOT recommend this place. A rundown dirt box.

• Double Room with Garden View

The noise - thin walls. On a Tuesday night a loud party in the garden right outside our door were loud until 2AM. Then, I could hear a man snoring next door. The beds we're too high - a hazard for my 90-year-old father; Key cards were wonky.

Beds/pillows soft and clean; grounds/ location lovely; M Street Restaurant a block away; staff excellent; booking through Booking.com easy.

• King Room with Garden View

Could hear every footstep of people in room above us. Could hear person snoring in the next room. Very slow check-in service.

Security. Closeness to beach. Comfortable bed.

• King Room with Ocean View

My only complaint would be - staying on the ground level felt a bit unprivate. I had to keep my curtains closed which was a bit of a drag with such a beautiful view.

I really enjoyed my stay at Bayside. You can't beat the location! The staff were excellent, accommodating an early check in for me. Rooms are clean, big & comfortable. I would stay again for sure.

• Queen Room

Great location, a stroll from Santa Monica Pier, restaurants and a good walk to Venis Beach and Marina del Rey. If you want a guided tour they leave from Santa Monica Pier and are recommended. Staff are great and very accommodating.

• Queen Room

Great location for getting around Santa Monica. Staff had a high level of customer service. Could not fault our stay except it was not long enough. Can't wait to return.

• Queen Room

Maybe they could reduce the cost of parking?

Location and everything was within walking, so relaxed. Staff were really helpful and accommodating to all our questions. Thank you.

• King Room with Garden View

Was met by a huge cockroach in the shower. Room is nice but very old building and really more a motel than a hotel. Although 3star in Booking.com, Hotels.com have marked it 2 stars.

Very good beds

• Queen Room

Unfortunately the staff lacked local knowledge to help us with planning an activity during our stay.

Lovely room, super comfy bed and brilliant location. Felt the hotel was slightly expensive for what is was.

• Queen Room

Everything! Great location, friendly staff, facilities are great and the room was very clean. As this was a last minute booking we were super impressed. Definitely value for money in comparison to the rates of surrounding hotels.

• Queen Room

The rooms were so noisey! Could hear everything on the outside, people walking past, talking etc

Staff were very friendly and helpful with recommendations on places to eat, activities to do etc. location was perfect for Santa Monica, room was tidy.

• Double Room with Garden View

WiFi struggles, holes in sheets, 2 towels for a family of 4. Even though I had email confirmation of room being upgraded from garden view to ocean view, we arrived and they didn’t have ocean room so we had to move from garden room to ocean room the following day. But staff were apologetic and helpful regarding this.

Beach view & location, staff helpful. You pay for what you get and it’s comfortable enough.

• Queen Room

Its an older restored building so expect some noise. We had a room on the first floor of the side courtyard and I expect it was a bit quieter there in terms of street noise. Cost of rooms is high in the area, so the value is relatively low in my opinion. Couldn't get WiFi to work with a Mac (iPhone was OK).

Great location in a quiet little corner, just a block from a large beach park in Santa Monica, with easy access to everything. Easy to walk, bike, or drive to and from the hotel. Loved the charm of the older 50's, 60's look of the place. Clean and well managed.

• Double Room with Garden View

Nothing really. A little expensive for what you get, but that is due to location and probably same for all hotels in the area. The only improvement could be for shower heads to be detachable as they were slightly low for a taller person.

Very friendly staff. Nice view of the beach from the rooms and only a short walk to beachfront and nearby Santa Monica pier and centre. Bike hire handy and good value. Very nice clean rooms.

• Queen Room

Housekeeping did not clean room properly. Charged me for an extra night and still have not gotten money returned (whole stay was put on my partners credit card too...). Very unhappy with the stay. Too much money for very little in return.

• Queen Room

Staff very friendly and helpful, allowed us to check in early, hold.our luggage for the whole day when checked out. Free beach towls and water. Great help

• Queen Room

The bed and the cleanliness of the bed. I mean it is a hotel, the whole point of the hotel is that the bed is comfortable and clean. My sheets were disgusting. I don't know if it was stains but it looked like dark dirt marks, also the bed made squeaky noises. Also, they literally charge for everything, even when right in front is cheaper -for instance, the bike rental is $10.50/30 min while there are rentals right in front the hotel for $7.50. Perhaps a daily fee would be better. I feel that for the cost of the room, at least provide water or a better deal with the bike could be an improvement.

The location couldn't be better! The size of the room is great for one person. The service was standard, and I was able to check in by noon.

• Double Room with Garden View

Booked the room for 2 nights, and had a schedule change. The staff was very understanding and allowed me to cancel the second night with no charge. Very very satisfied with the room also, extremely clean. Will definitely visit again.

The hotel is so short.

The location is very well, just a few minutes work you can go to the beach. I love the design and the decoration of the room, really make you feel relax.

• Queen Room

Noisey but this might be everywhere in the area.

Nice see view. Rooms are clean and have everything you need. Bit noisey on the lower lever as you can hear everything upstairs. But the price compared to others in area was good. Would recommend.Only 5-10 min walk to centre and easy to find.We also got upgraded.

There was nothing I disliked.

Awesome location! Beach was just a couple minute walk across a very quiet street, and the pier was no more than a 10 minute walk on the paved path along the beach. Staff was very friendly and helpful, and our room was very clean, cute, comfortable with a nice beachy feel. It’s gated also so we felt very safe. I would definitely recommend this place to everyone, and we’d definitely stay here again.

• Double Room with Garden View

The motel appears to have been built in the 40’s or 50’s so the insulation to sound was non existent. The weekend was noisy with late night arrivals upstairs. Sun-Mon it was much quieter. The ice machine just outside our door proved to be noisy also. The beds were the old full size not queens and since we had 3 my husband and I shared. It was a little tight since we are not used to it. The bed is also quite firm which I usually like, but it could use a little more foam cushion on top for the bones. The coffee machine is a kerig and I suggest that you bring your own pods. The coffee was too bitter for me, but again I am used to Starbucks. The negatives were not that bad and it is just a matter of taste. It is quite pricy however but everything near the beach is and all in all we enjoyed ourselves.

The location was exceptional! We walked to most of the restaurants and along the board walk with a view of the expansive beach. The room was clean and fresh with a beach cottage theme. The manager was exceptionally helpful and gave us free handicapped parking. There is free public parking lot also just outside the front door, but you may have to wait for a spot and lose it if you leave it. Lovely table line the front porch where you can sit even if your room doesn’t have an ocean view. The interior garden ins lovely where you can catch some sun in some comfortable lounges.

• Queen Room

The room was small and smelt of damp. The furniture was quite old and had marks and stains on it. It was also very noisy - hearing neighbouring rooms TV and chatter. Not great value for money.

You are really paying for the location at this hotel - right across from the beach and walking distance to some good restaurants.

• Queen Room

Bayside hotel was an excellent location! We traveled from Seattle, Washington and ended up in Santa Monica in the spur of the moment. This hotel was very clean and modern. Loved the cottage feel and the view was amazing literally across the street from the beach!! Will definitely being coming back to stay again..

• Queen Room

I like the new modern,white decor and the well done, updated bathroom. The staff was great & helpful. Location is excellent for all things downtown Santa Monica.

• Queen Room

carrying our bags up the stairs because there is no elevator. No breakfast - not even a cookie or an apple.

This is a motel, not a hotel. This is the equivalent of a motel 6 or Quañity Inn except no breakfast, no free parking, and not even a sign anywhere outside with the name of the hotel! We deive around and around looking for it even thougj our GPS said we had arrived bir I could not see anything that looked like an entrance from the street.

• Queen Room

1. Hotel parking was $32.00 a day 2. You could use beach parking or meter parking across the way which was a lot less

1. Close to the beach 2. Close to the Promenade 3. Close to the L.A. Marathon finish 4. Close to the Santa Monica pier

Parking.

I began staying at Bayside when the bedspreads were still green brocade and carpet was shag. It is the greatest deal around for the view, the location, and the staff have always been awesome! The improvements made over the years are tasteful and thoughtful.

• Queen Room

Excellent location , 1mn to the beach Very clean and the staff are just amazing , they have provided me some recommendations since I was there for only 1 Day

• Queen Room

The WiFi is really dodgy, I suggest a stronger router so the rooms at the back of the complex can get a good signal.

Location is superb and the room is cute.

• Queen Room

The hotel was being renovated while we were there but there was minimal disruption. Most annoying thing was that our key entry cards did not work most of the time so we frequently had to go to reception to reset. Expensive parking, but I believe they do some discount on that.

The location is great. About 10-15min walk to Santa Monica pier but just 1 min to the beach. Large room, great comfy mattress. There is free overnight parking on the street outside.

• Queen Room

This is one of the less expensive hotels close to the beach in Santa Monica. It could not possibly have a better location. My Queen room was not large but was very comfortable, perfectly clean, with an excellent bed and bathroom, a great shower, and a coffee machine with excellent coffee, as well as cable TV, etc. The desk and comfortable desk chair and free fast wifi allowed me to get necessary work done. The staff was extremely pleasant and helpful, and the hotel provided free beach chairs and tote bags with beach towels. It really was a perfect place to stay for access to the beach, and there were good breakfast places within a block or two. Needless to say, Santa Monica beach is wonderful. https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g33052-d82038-r559652964-Bayside_Hotel-Santa_Monica_California.html#

• Queen Room

Wonderful hotel! Not only are you across the street from the beach, but you're met by a delightful, welcoming staff and you'll stay in a sparkling clean, well-appointed, quiet and very comfortable room. WiFi worked well, parking was convenient and safe.

• King Room with Ocean View

The guy at the reception was really nice about everything. I had to cancel one night of my booking due to personal emergencies and the guy didn’t charge me for it even if it was just a couple hours before the day ended. Really sweet guy.

• Double Room with Garden View

The hotel was getting painted whilst we were here so it made the stay a little uncomfortable.

Location is fabulous. Room is a decent size. Having a little kitchen was great although there aren't any decent supermarkets within walking range.

• Double Room with Garden View

Was a little noisy and street lamp right outside window meant room was quite bright at night

Location was good close to beach but a little way from action

• Double Room with Garden View

This place was a gem. Exactly what the reviews commented. Not fancy but wow what a location. Few snacks in the kitchen, comfortable beds. I wished i booked more than one night.

• Queen Room

Parking fee is excessive upstairs floors squeaking a lot every time guests moved around room staff was helpful with finding restaurant

rooms were clean and comfortable very close to beach

• Queen Room

Exterior of the hotel could use a redo. Doesn’t match the quality of the rooms.

Rooms were great. WiFi strong. 10 min walk to the promenade and pier. Right next to the beach.

• King Room with Garden View

Everything was great for my fiance and I. I have no complaints. If you are looking for 5 star hotel this is not the place. Although it is very cozy and great for young couples.

The staff were very friendly. Always greeted us when we passed by! Everyday our bed was made, fresh towels were put out, and the trash was pulled. It was a very cute and comfortable area, perfect for young couples! Short walk to the beach, pier and resturaunts!

• King Room with Ocean View

No breakfast available Too expensive for what it is Lot of noise coming from the street - I had an ocean view room which gives on the street (can the ocean from far away)

Motel style - Bed really comfy Room spacious and very clean Ideally located - 5-minute walk from Santa Monica Pier M street Kitchen is very close and has nice breakfast/brunch They kept my luggage the last day and I could use a restroom to get changed before leaving

• Reviewed: 12 December 2017

• Queen Room

This place is so cute. On the outside it looks kind of like a basic hotel, but the rooms are just lovely! Way bigger than I thought, even a kitchen! The bed was huge & comfortable and there were so many nice touches. I really liked the decor. The staff was super friendly and not only was I upgraded to an ocean front room for free, they also let us check out an hour late so we could do some extra exploring before our flight. I wish I could have stayed here longer!!

• Queen Room

The bed was a little too hard for my liking, but some may prefer that.

Beautiful, clean and modern rooms. Great location and very helpful man at check in.

• Queen Room

Bed was too soft and air con was too noisy so didn’t use it which made the room stuffy. A fan would be better!

Location location location!!!! Was super fantastic and a nice easy stroll into town!

• Queen Room

Parking costs about US$ 32 extra. If you're lucky you get a spot in front where parking is permitted with no cost from 6pm to 9am.

The location is excellent! Just cross the street to reach the beach. Not far from the pier and Promenade. The room is cosy and charming.

• Double Room with Garden View

We loved everything about our stay at Bayside. The location is great. The hotel is clean and the beds are so comfortable. We paid for the $32 a day parking, and it was worth it. I will stay here again.

• Queen Room

Property was great, just didn't like the parking accommodations. $32 To park in the back or park in front until 9am. Kind of a time crunch to have to go down and beat the meter maid.

I loved the fact that the hotel is perfectly centered with the beach a 5 minute walk away, the pier, the restaurants and stores 10 minutes away, so convenient.

• Double Room with Garden View

Smoke Alarm beeping every 15 secs from 4am, TV had no sound. Checked in 4 guest and only had 2 towels. Found this Motel very expensive for what it was. They try and charge you $32 to park your car, yet there are car parks for free after 6pm right infront of the motel, go figure! Good luck finding the reception, and as for the man on the counter last night, he was less than friendly.

Close to the pier, and restaurants.

• Double Room with Garden View

very expensive for what you are getting Unfortunately Santa Monica has so many homeless people that you meet them all around the town and outside the hotel

we had a room with a kitchenette which was good for self catering Hotel is right on the beach front

• Double Room with Garden View

The room was hot and the air con unit was so noisy. The room view to the garden wasn’t actually a view. Felt a bit more motel than hotel.

The hotel is close to the beach, but not right on it. The rooms are functional

• Queen Room

The air conditioner was so loud we couldn't sleep but it was too hot to turn off. The bathroom fan sounded like a machine gun. All very noisy. Our view was of another hotel room. Kind of disappointing.

• King Room with Garden View

When we arrived we were under the impression there was parking here for free. The parking is 32.00 a night. There is street parking right outside if you can get a spot. Free overnight, HOWEVER, each spot has days and times early in the am you cant park there for their street cleaning. IE: no parking Tues and Thurs from 3am to 5am. So you have to get up and move it or get a ticket. The hotel is two streets over from beach not on beach as we thought. 20 min walk to pier. No stores or restaurants near the hotel, its all at least 15 min walk. We drive to peir and 12.00 to park there

Beautiful clean updated rooms with plenty of space. Separate little room for kitchen. The room had everything you would need to live here and it was Immaculate!

• King Room with Garden View

The pics and the reality doesn’t match, building wss older than what we thought and AC from rooms on the second floor were leaking to the first floor. Some of the rooms with views to the “garden” in reality are views to the “parking” (no garden at all). We complained and they decided to give us an upgrade, thankfully.

Location is perfect

• Double Room with Garden View

Only one thing bothered us in the time we were there. We had a beach facing front window and a courtyard back window in which the guest across the courtyard was talking loudly outside on his phone( I guest he didn't want to wake his family) VERY early in the morning (before 6am) and he was also smoking! In addition to waking us up with his loud talking virtually right outside our room, we could also smell the smoke and I finally had to get up to close the window! However, this was really the only complaint and we really liked it there.

We were visiting family who lived nearby but did not have guest space at there place. We loved how close to the beach and the pier it was. It was also easy to Uber around from there. We would definitely recommend it!

• Double Room with Garden View

It was expensive for us but it is the lowest priced hotel that close to the beach. Would have liked to stay more nights but couldn't afford it. But the one night we stayed was a treat!

Loved the location. The hotel provided beach towels and beach bag in the room. In the lobby they provided beach umbrellas and beach chairs (all complimentary). The gentlemen in the office were very laid back and friendly and made us feel comfortable.

• Queen Room

Room was quite small, bathroom small but ok. No view from our room. Had to pay extra for parking.

The room was clean and had all the amenities you would like eg safe, iron/board, fridge. Excellent location - beach just over the road, main town a few blocks away. We ate most of the time in the M Kitchen on Main Street, which we would highly recommend.

• King Room with Garden View

They could had a few vending machines next to the ice machine. AC could use the upgrade, I noticed many of them had a towel outside the room to collect condensation. Also bathrooms although super clean and functional with big shower, could be a little more modern and feel very cramped. I loved how the staff accommodated my request to check in 2 hours early at 2pm and check out 2 hours later at 1pm, if they have the possibility they will accommodate you. One more thing if your flight is a late night one and you need to leave luggage at reception just know that their space is limited and the office and registration is very small but maybe they have an extra room to store luggage (they help mine until 8pm when my cab arrived). Will go back for sure although the room rate was pretty much the same as other bugger hotels in the same area like the JW Marriott with the difference these larger properties have all the facilities you need. No jacuzzi or pool but a nice little yard with some chairs and lounges.

Bedding like a cloud, mattress perfect and super fresh decor, loved that there is a fully stocked mini bar and snacks at a decent price. The hotel is literally 5 away from the beach by foot and in a super secure area. They give you a beach bag and a beach towel and you can also borrow beach chairs and umbrella!

• Queen Room

About 10-15min walk to the pier and main shopping/restaurants area. No lift. No facilities (garden, pool, etc.).

Room had a decent size and was clean. Hotel in the middle between Santa Monica Pier and Venice Beach.

• Queen Room

Air conditioning outrageously noisy but even switched off can hear other rooms aircon running. staff quite disinterested

Very good spot for joining the hop on hop off buses

• King Room with Garden View

Basic motel really,but in great location just across road from beach. We had a king garden room with our door opening onto small shared secure garden with sunloungers.

• Queen Room

It was overpriced for the accommodations as they were definitely taking advantage of their location especially given that this was a shoulder season after the summer! Staff even commented that they were still charging summer rates which was a little excessive!!

The staff was very friendly! Great to work with and always greeted you with a smile! Location was awesome! Easy walk to the beach and into downtown Santa Monica!!

• Queen Room

Very loud: we were on the ground floor and people simply walking upstairs were very loud. The sink was very tiny, the room very small. The in-room AC was also very loud. It's a renovated motel. I expected more for the price.

Great location, bed was comfortable.

• Queen Room

Only flaw is the AC (caught a pinky eye).

Nice comfortable room with a huge bed and cute little details. Everything is neat and clean. The hotel is located right at the beach and the main street with all it's nice boutiques and cafes is only a minute walk away.

• Double Room with Garden View

Can't think of anything bad!

The gentleman that met me at reception was so friendly and accommodating!! He made a real effort to make my stay easier by very kindly allowing me a delayed check out and gave me a beautiful room!!

• Double Room with Garden View

Internet was terrible. Kept knocking me off the browser. Pretty much useless.

Excellent location. Very comfortable bed with lots of pillows. Kitchenette was well stocked. Staff was very friendly and accommodating when I asked for an early cleaning of my room.

• Queen Room

Our room wasn't ready despite arriving after the check-in time and it took ages!!! We were on the ground level and had no view. We did have nice little patio out the front though. The wifi in the room was really slow, had to go stand near the reception and entrance to get connection. The location is great to head to the beach but about a 15-20 minute walk to Santa Monica Pier and 3rd St Promenade. No breakfast provided.

Nice, basic hotel across the road from Santa Monica beach. The room was comfortable enough for a 2 night stay. We hired the bikes and rode to Venice Beach. Pretty good value for money in expensive SM! The staff were not the most friendliest but helpful with leaving our luggage on the last day.

• Double Room with Garden View

You can beat the location, you can't get any closer to the ocean, short walk from downtown/shopping areas- and the room included a bonus kitchenette!

• Double Room with Garden View

Should have got a beach view room rather than garden view.

Nice and modern with a central area to hang out in. Provided beach stuff - bodyboards, chairs, mats, umberellas - for free. Value for money bike rental. Stones throw from a great beach.

• King Room with Ocean View

The front desk was very "sketchy" regarding parking. I have a handicap plaque and tried to reserve parking a number of times. Once I arrived I was instructed to park on the street (for two whole days?) but once I read the signs, it would have added up to several tickets and a tow. After a discussion all he had to do was turn slightly to see (via video camera) that the handicap spot in the hotel lot was empty. Why was this so difficult? Then, he had someone park in the blue zone beside us the following day - why bother with a handicap spot if your not using it lawfully? I guess California law is different than Ontario?

Great location and the room was awesome! Very clean and modern. One of the nicest rooms we stayed in on our trip to California.

• Queen Room

The location cannot be beat! The rooms have a shortage of counters in the bathroom, but we made it work. Bed was comfy and the staff are very helpful and nice. We would definitely stay here again!

• One Bedroom with Kitchenette

One staff member was very aggressive and bullying toward me when I asked him a question about moving to the room that we had originally booked. Fortunately the Manager was more reasonable when I took it up with him however even then I was promised a kettle for my room ( as our original booking had a kitchenette) and didn't receive it. The night man was very helpful and friendly.

Location was great

• Double Room with Garden View

Can't find fault in a short 2 days stay!!

Fabulous , small friendly hotel. Ideal location for relaxing on the beach and just a short walk to the hustle and bustle of the pier, shops, bars and restaurants.

Browse Bayside Hotel traveller photo gallery